PDA

View Full Version : Getting new players

Mindartis
2012-08-10, 10:22 AM
So, Ive been playing tabletop games for about a year and a half, now. All the guys (and sometimes girls) that I played with were all older, at least a year. Now there off to college, and I need to round up some new people to play with.

My question is, how can you tell who would be interested in playing these games? One of my friends who I thought would really enjoy it didnt. Is there a way to tell? Or how have you all gained new members? Any advice would be appreciated.

Anxe
2012-08-10, 10:37 AM
I was homeschooled. I still hang with my original group who were all homeschooled at some point in their lives. Try that?

oxybe
2012-08-10, 11:06 AM
i grew up in a rather small village and my school (from k-12) was like... 350 people. we knew who the gamers were because they were the only people who openly gamed or talked about gaming in various forms.

when i moved out to town after graduation i didn't know anyone so i hung out at the local FLGS on my days off and worked on a campaign in plain view, people would stop by, i'd discuss campaign info and check if they were sketchy or not.

if they weren't and showed interest, i'd grab their phone number & called them when the campaign was ready to go.

Dread Angel
2012-08-10, 11:27 AM
If you don't live in a miniscule town, Facebook.

Some girl posted up a D&D Meet and Greet event in my city, and about 20 people showed up.....for English gamers in a German city, certainly not bad.

And suddenly I have a group again!

Mindartis
2012-08-10, 11:53 AM
Yeah, the problem for me is that the town I live in, while small, doesnt openly talk about gaming. Its like a dark secret everybody keeps. Lol. I have 1 or 2 people interested, I just need a few more, and have no idea how to find them.

Manly Man
2012-08-10, 12:23 PM
If there's a comic shop in your town, then there's your spot. You could loiter if you want, but what I'd recommend is to ask if you could print out some flyers and leave them there as an invitation of sorts to see who comes in. Most comic shops I've been to at least have a few tables for things like card tournaments or, as it would be in this case, D&D or Pathfinder gatherings.

Kalmageddon
2012-08-10, 12:54 PM
Yeah, the problem for me is that the town I live in, while small, doesnt openly talk about gaming. Its like a dark secret everybody keeps. Lol. I have 1 or 2 people interested, I just need a few more, and have no idea how to find them.

I'm in more or less the same situation.
I don't use Facebook and I don't really have many gamer friends, I tried asking to some people but not much luck right now... The idea of leaving some kind of announcement in a gaming shop is one I'll have to try.

On that note, if any Italian-speaker in this forum is interested in a d20 fantasy campaign via Skype... Send me a PM! :smalltongue:

kyoryu
2012-08-10, 01:36 PM
meetup.com

facebook

boards at nearby game or comic shops

And you can't tell if anyone is going to enjoy gaming before they actually try it. And even if they don't enjoy one particular game, they may enjoy others (and vice versa!)

Ulysses WkAmil
2012-08-10, 02:01 PM
You can always just set up flyers or something, but you did say dark secret. I'd go with the closest gamer attraction, such as a comic store or something. It's hard to really tell, tabletop isn't for everyone. I live in a pretty small town, and I was the only one at my school who played D&D. When I was trying to find a group, I just asked my friends, people who seemed into fantasy, and people into other things like Anime or Manga. I have a full group now. But I guess it's a little trickier for you. If no one is openly into gaming or fantasy, maybe try the anime lovers.

Tyndmyr
2012-08-10, 03:18 PM
So, Ive been playing tabletop games for about a year and a half, now. All the guys (and sometimes girls) that I played with were all older, at least a year. Now there off to college, and I need to round up some new people to play with.

My question is, how can you tell who would be interested in playing these games? One of my friends who I thought would really enjoy it didnt. Is there a way to tell? Or how have you all gained new members? Any advice would be appreciated.

You're at college. look for a club. If there isn't one, start one.

But frankly, one probably already exists.

Roguenewb
2012-08-10, 03:22 PM
God, if I wasn't in college and getting players from there...I have no clue how I'd deal with strangers...

Sorry, that doesn;t really help...

Mindartis
2012-08-12, 05:19 PM
You're at college. look for a club. If there isn't one, start one.

Ahh, but that's the thing. Im still in High School. In the middle of a hick town. Thats the problem I face.