PDA

View Full Version : Power stones: Do I have this right?

Novawurmson
2012-08-10, 10:52 AM
Confession

I'm pretty lost when it comes to optimizing gear; races/classes/skills/ACFs/etc., sure. Gear - not so much. This is compounded when dealing with limited use magical items, because my party hates them. I've given my players so many scrolls and potions through the years, and they never use them. They like uses/day items, so even though we're mostly playing PF, I go digging through the Magic Item Compendium pretty frequently for stuff they might like.

I've been playing with psionics for about a year now, and I've been having a blast with them - however, I haven't done too much with psionic items aside from the occasional djore.

First, let me see if I've got this correct.

a. A Power Stone is basically a psionic scroll. This will be a repeating theme.

b. A Power Stone can hold multiple powers, just as a scroll can hold multiple spells. Each power stored in a Power Stone can be used once.

c. You have to "address" a power stone by making a psi/spellcraft check (depending on your level of transparency). This is analogous to deciphering a scroll. It's a lower skill check, but you can't just bypass it with Read Magic.

d. You need the requisite ability score, power on your class list, and manifester level to manifest the power. If the manifester level of the stone is higher, you need to make a manifester level check to manifest the power. Same for scrolls.

e. Failing means bad things unless you make a DC 5 Wisdom save, like a scroll.

f. With Use Psionic/Magic Device, you can fake your ability score and/or having the power on your class list, but not your manifester level.

Questions:

1. Is activating a Power Stone always a standard action, or does it change with the power (thinking especially of power like Hustle that are normally manifested as a swift action)?

2. Do you use your manifester level, the stone's manifester level, or something else when determining how much you can augment the power?

3. For someone using Use Psionic/Magic Device to manifest just a few low-level powers, what powers would you recommend them?

I was pretty lost when I started this post, but at the end of it, I feel like I understand power stones and scrolls a whole lot better now.

Kelb_Panthera
2012-08-10, 02:13 PM
I'm not sure about question 1 but question 2 is easy. Unless you use the rules for temporarily learning a power from another source, you use the stone's ML.

If you do use the rules for temporarily learning a power from another source, which is complicated and takes multiple actions and skill checks, you can then manifest the power at your own ML.