PDA

View Full Version : HandWraps?

silverwolfer
2012-08-10, 01:37 PM
No not chicken wraps or snack wraps.

I know not RAW, but their is an item called hand wraps in dungeons and dragons online. I am wondering, how much of a stretch or how to best emulate such an item, for unarmed combat, that is basically a magical cloth you wrap around your knuckles and affects your punching.

eggs
2012-08-10, 02:03 PM
This could just be a minor tweak to the Necklace of Natural Weapons from Savage Species.

I've done it a couple times, implemented in a pretty straightforward manner. It was pretty readily accepted in two different groups.

Daer
2012-08-10, 02:14 PM
Personally i see handwraps lot more logical to boost hitting damage than some necklace and gives bit boost to monk

umbergod
2012-08-10, 02:15 PM
No not chicken wraps or snack wraps.

I know not RAW, but their is an item called hand wraps in dungeons and dragons online. I am wondering, how much of a stretch or how to best emulate such an item, for unarmed combat, that is basically a magical cloth you wrap around your knuckles and affects your punching.

even before DDO was something me and my old DM were aware of, we always allowed handwraps so that monks weren't forced into using weapons to get magical abilities on their attacks. Treat the cost like a gauntlet

Kelb_Panthera
2012-08-10, 02:27 PM
I've always slotted the NNA as a set of bracers.

Bracer's of pugilism, I call them. Though they're not quite the same as the necklace since I let them apply their bonus and qualities to any unarmed strike, not just the monk's.

Incidentally, are you aware of the ki-strap magic item from MIC?

Yora
2012-08-10, 02:29 PM
We were using those things on Neverwinter Nights server 10 years ago. Always suprised me that they never appeared in any official books.

silverwolfer
2012-08-10, 02:51 PM
So make them "cloth threaded" with adminite or whatever and toss them around as weapon boosters?

Ki Straps hmmm is that monk specific?

Kelb_Panthera
2012-08-10, 03:09 PM
So make them "cloth threaded" with adminite or whatever and toss them around as weapon boosters?

Ki Straps hmmm is that monk specific?

They're a magic item that boosts the DC of stunning fist for any character with the feat. The boost also applies to feats that use stunning fist as a prereq', i.e. pain touch, freezing the life blood, etc.

Vizzerdrix
2012-08-10, 08:27 PM
Could always use the gauntlet, or a ward cestus.

Crasical
2012-08-10, 08:34 PM
Pathfinder had a rule for a while that a Monk could use their unarmed damage if it was higher than the weapon damage while using brass knuckles, as a way to easily let monks get exotic materials like silver or cold iron and enchantment bonuses on their unarmed attacks. Sadly that's been errata'd away, for reasons I don't fully comprehend, but it would be on my list of houserules for the game.

Psyren
2012-08-10, 08:43 PM
I like "handwraps" better than "gauntlets" because I wouldn't like the idea of monks wearing anything but cloth.

And I like this idea because it would free up a monk's neck slot (e.g. for Natural Armor.)

Kelb_Panthera
2012-08-10, 09:05 PM
I like "handwraps" better than "gauntlets" because I wouldn't like the idea of monks wearing anything but cloth.

And I like this idea because it would free up a monk's neck slot (e.g. for Natural Armor.)

Then just re-spec' the NNA as a set of bracers. Same cost same, same effect, and it's a more sensible spot for a magic item that directly improves combat ability anyway. MIC and the DMG will happily support you in this decision.

Psyren
2012-08-10, 10:00 PM
Then just re-spec' the NNA as a set of bracers. Same cost same, same effect, and it's a more sensible spot for a magic item that directly improves combat ability anyway. MIC and the DMG will happily support you in this decision.

Hands are more sensible for "attack" than arms imo. Plus, I like Bracers of Armor on a monk, especially since they can be enchanted with the standard armor goodies. (And since it's force-based, I don't need Ghost Touch to be one of them.)

Daftendirekt
2012-08-10, 10:27 PM
I don't see why it needs to occupy a slot other than 'weapon'. Monks are already gimped, why make them occupy a body slot just to improve their attacks?

Curmudgeon
2012-08-11, 10:36 AM
I don't see why it needs to occupy a slot other than 'weapon'. Monks are already gimped, why make them occupy a body slot just to improve their attacks?
I believe you haven't thought this through sufficiently. Non-natural weapons can be disarmed and sundered. That would gimp a Monk much more thoroughly than having a boost to their unarmed strike use a body slot. With the rules in Magic Item Compendium (pages 233-234) allowing common item effects to be added to existing items without a price premium, having a Necklace of Natural Attacks be in a body slot is hardly a problem.

vartan
2012-08-11, 09:26 PM
MoF has Bracers of Striking. They grant improved unarmed strike and can be enchanted as if they were blunt weapons.

Kelb_Panthera
2012-08-11, 09:32 PM
MoF has Bracers of Striking. They grant improved unarmed strike and can be enchanted as if they were blunt weapons.

They came to the future and stole the idea from me. :smallamused::smalltongue:

Daftendirekt
2012-08-12, 01:01 AM
I believe you haven't thought this through sufficiently. Non-natural weapons can be disarmed and sundered. That would gimp a Monk much more thoroughly than having a boost to their unarmed strike use a body slot. With the rules in Magic Item Compendium (pages 233-234) allowing common item effects to be added to existing items without a price premium, having a Necklace of Natural Attacks be in a body slot is hardly a problem.

Can you actually picture somebody trying to disarm a monk of his handwraps? Don't gauntlets have a sentence about not being able to be disarmed? This is pretty much the same thing.

juicycaboose
2012-08-12, 02:22 AM
Can you actually picture somebody trying to disarm a monk of his handwraps? Don't gauntlets have a sentence about not being able to be disarmed? This is pretty much the same thing.

i'm pretty sure though that you can't wear both gauntlets and a hand slot magic item?

Kelb_Panthera
2012-08-12, 02:25 AM
i'm pretty sure though that you can't wear both gauntlets and a hand slot magic item?

You can, but you only gain the magical benefits from the one you donned last, IIRC.

Curmudgeon
2012-08-12, 04:30 AM
Can you actually picture somebody trying to disarm a monk of his handwraps? Don't gauntlets have a sentence about not being able to be disarmed?
Nope. You're thinking about spiked gauntlets, which have that special rule.

Yes, gauntlets occupy the Hands body slot.

You can, but you only gain the magical benefits from the one you donned last, IIRC.
You've got that backwards. From Magic Item Compendium on page 218:
Additional magic items could be worn in the same body slot, but only the first-worn item confers its magical abilities upon the wearer.

Daftendirekt
2012-08-12, 07:50 AM

Sorry, didn't realize specifying spiked or not was so confusing. My point stands.

sonofzeal
2012-08-12, 07:57 AM
MIC has an item, "Scorpion Kama", which sets its base damage to your unarmed strike. With a bit of reverse-engineering, it may solve many of your problems.

Prime32
2012-08-12, 09:45 AM
Warforged have the battlefist...

Zaq
2012-08-12, 10:46 AM

These things are homebrewed anyway. Just add a clause saying you can't disarm a Monk (or anyone) of their handwraps. Problem solves.

Kelb_Panthera
2012-08-12, 02:47 PM
You've got that backwards...

Damn and blast! :smallfurious: I always pick the wrong one when I take a 50/50 shot. :smallamused: I knew it was one or the other, but I wasn't sure which. :smallsigh:

GoatBoy
2012-08-12, 03:14 PM
The only problem that might pop up here is that Improved Unarmed Strike is supposed to encompass not just straight punching, but elbows, kicks, knees, headbutts, and I don't want to think of what else.

If a monk's hands were full for some reason but he was still attacking, would he still get the bonuses conveyed by the handwraps? RAW he would, no question, but it's just something to ponder, whether handwraps make you kick better.

Xefas
2012-08-12, 03:26 PM
If a monk's hands were full for some reason but he was still attacking, would he still get the bonuses conveyed by the handwraps? RAW he would, no question, but it's just something to ponder, whether handwraps make you kick better.

I can see two solutions.

Either, one, it's magic and it just works. Or, two, handwraps aren't enough, and we need to go for magical snuggies.

Flickerdart
2012-08-12, 03:38 PM
Obviously monks all look like mummies due to the wrappings.

Andorax
2012-08-13, 01:03 PM
MIC has an item, "Scorpion Kama", which sets its base damage to your unarmed strike. With a bit of reverse-engineering, it may solve many of your problems.

And...done.

"Monkish Weapon" trait. Cost +4000 GP. Weapon deals either its normal damage for its size and type or your unarmed strike damage, whichever is greater.

Psyren
2012-08-13, 01:39 PM
Obviously monks all look like mummies due to the wrappings.

Why wouldn't it just be hands (and maybe feet)?

http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20080507051742/streetfighter/images/7/76/SagatSFA3.jpg

Coidzor
2012-08-13, 02:45 PM

http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20080507051742/streetfighter/images/7/76/SagatSFA3.jpg

Maybe a headband for headbutters and a nice beard-tie for beardfists?

Flickerdart
2012-08-13, 07:09 PM

Headbutt, shoulder strike, elbow, knee, sumo style belly flop, Sonic-style roll...plenty of semi-plausible ways of attacking with things other than hands and feet.

Psyren
2012-08-13, 07:21 PM
Headbutt, shoulder strike, elbow, knee, sumo style belly flop, Sonic-style roll...plenty of semi-plausible ways of attacking with things other than hands and feet.

Just because the wraps are on those four extremities doesn't mean they affect nothing else. After all, a Necklace of Natural Attacks/Amulet of Mighty Fists works, despite the fact that creatures wearing it aren't using their necks to attack. (Usually.)

Flickerdart
2012-08-13, 07:40 PM
The only reason you think that is because those who face a master of the deadly Giraffe Style never live to tell the tale! :smallbiggrin:

GoatBoy
2012-08-14, 12:11 AM
Legends speak of the quadruple-amputee monk and his eccentric, deadly fighting style. Everywhere he travelled, foes whispered among themselves in fear of his Stunning Nipple.