PDA

View Full Version : Evil Level 20 Monster Game

SSGoW
2012-08-10, 02:36 PM
Just as the title says

The CR, Templates, and Class Levels must equal 20.

What is the most broken thing that can be made of this? I don't want to slaughter my allies (if I have any?) but I do want to be as immune to anything as possible/become ... >:D

Oh and I don't want to do Pun Pun, I don't think anyone in my group knows about Pun Pun and I don't want to kill their innocence.

Any help will be appreciated since I'm horrid at optimization.

Lonely Tylenol
2012-08-10, 02:43 PM
Something with Wizard casting 20.

Probably a Magic-Blooded Unseelie Fey Spellhoarding Venerable Dragonwrought Loredrake Kobold Stalwart Battle Sorcerer 20 who undergoes the Greater Draconic Rite of Passage, if you accept the reading that Dragonwrought makes a Kobold a true dragon.

Otherwise, anything else with 20 levels of Wizard casting or the equivalent.

Eldan
2012-08-10, 02:47 PM
By the rules, one of the Higher Level Ethergaunts is playable with a suspiciously low LA and almost full wizard casting. They are pretty broken, since they have something like +20 or more to intelligence.

Urpriest
2012-08-10, 02:49 PM
Just to confirm: you're using CR, not ECL?

Is there a minimum monster contribution to the character? Most DMs will include something like that to prevent the "Wizard 20" responses above.

SSGoW
2012-08-10, 02:54 PM
Yup CR, not ECL, and not LA but CR

I know I know but I'm not the wanting to run this haha

Edit: So far no word on minimal levels of monster but so far CR is on a 1:1 ratio with class levels.

Roguenewb
2012-08-10, 02:56 PM
Ancient Brass Dragon /thread.

Honestly though, level 15 Sorc casting. 31 Hit Dice. DR 15/magic, Saves around +20, a +40 attack routine (with all tens in stats and no magic items).

Laugh at your DM, then murder his campaign and enjoy the lamentations of his women!

EDIT: You could actually be a *wyrm* black dragon with more hit dice and everything, but the casting is 2 levels less. Spells are good, more spells are more gooder.

Randomguy
2012-08-10, 03:27 PM
Half red dragon half black dragon troll? Or Half black dragon war-troll?

VGLordR2
2012-08-10, 04:53 PM
Most broken?

Look at the Tauric and Symbiotic Creature templates.

Jack_Simth
2012-08-10, 05:28 PM
A couple of questions....

1) Do you want to be as close to personally invulnerable as possible, or as broken as possible? Because an opponent can walk right around the indestructible brick if it isn't a credible threat, and simply being effectively unkillable does not actually break a game if that's your only trick.

2) Is the DM treating all Class Levels (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/improvingMonsters.htm#addingClassLevels) as Associated or do they follow the rules for associated vs. non-associated? It makes a VERY significant difference.

3) How much patience do you have for working out things like spell lists?

4) Are you sure you want to do this? Deliberately breaking games is generally not a good thing, and is very commonly considered a foul move if the rest of the table isn't on board with it. It may be appropriate at your gaming table for this campaign, it may not, but please consider the optimization level of your gaming table before possibly getting builds that are significantly overpowered.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2012-08-10, 06:00 PM
Hatchling Phaerimm (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20040313a): CR 1, one racial HD which gets replaced by your first class level (so your first class level doesn't count). They gain Sorcerer spellcasting equal to their HD, which unless otherwise specified includes both racial HD and class levels.

I'd go something like Beguiler 5/ Mindbender 1/ Ur-Priest 2/ Mystic Theurge 8/ Incantatrix 4, and remember that also gets Sorcerer 20 casting. Use Versatile Spellcaster and you can spend spontaneous spell slots from either class to cast any spell you know of one level higher, and you'll know the entire Cleric list and the entire Beguiler list.

Definitely pick up DMM: Persist and get plenty of Night Sticks, and get a custom item that grants +30 Spellcraft. You can use Cooperative Metamagic from Incantatrix on your own spells as long as you're not in combat, because action economy doesn't exist unless you're acting on initiative. Get a custom Runestaff (MIC) with whatever persistable Sorcerer buffs you want on it, as well as any hour/level or 24 hour buffs so you won't have to spend spells known on them. You should even consider taking Extraordinary Spell Aim and Widen Spell, so you can use Incantatrix abilities to have a Persistent Widened Antimagic Field on, and use ESA to exclude yourself and the rest of your party from its effect.

Max out Hide and Move Silently, and get a continuous Collar of Umbral Metamorphosis in ToM for Hide in Plain Sight, and the feat Darkstalker in LoM. Get a standard Metamagic Rod of Extend and a 6th level Pearl of Power to have the spells Superior Resistance and five of Energy Immunity on you at all times for only two 6th level Ur-Priest spell slots. Between persistent buffs from the two best spell lists, Wings of Cover, and always being hidden, nothing should even pose a threat to you. I'd pick up Invisible Spell and Fell Drain with Arcane Thesis: Cloud of Knives and have a bunch of those persisted for as many free-action level-draining dagger attacks every round.

With Persistent Arcane Spellsurge from Dragon Magic, your normally-standard-action spells will be a swift action to cast, and you can throw a metamagic feat (Invisible Spell for +0 level) on whatever you want to cast as a standard action, since it will be reduced from a full round action. If you use Wings of Cover then you won't be able to cast a Swift spell on the next round, but it's usually worth it. Consider the Celerity line of spells in PH2 and the feat Quick Recovery in LoM to negate its drawback. Check this list (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=187851) for any effects that your buffs can't cover.

Runestar
2012-08-10, 07:08 PM
Advanced spellweaver (mm2). They already get sorc12 spellcasting at cr10, and every 3 monstrous humanoid HD grants +3 spellcasting at just +1cr. So you don't need to reference a dozen different splatbooks. :smallamused:

So at 30HD, they cast as a sorc30 and are just cr17. At this point, you already qualify for epic spellcasting. With the remaining cr, maybe round out with monster of legend (to compensate for their anaemic physical stats). :smalltongue:

SSGoW
2012-08-11, 11:35 AM
I don't mind being walked right around actually just as long as I can do some fun stuff in the mean time.

All I know about class levels is that he said to dd CR and Class Levels to make 20. His example was a CR 20 Demon or a CR 7 Medusa with 12 Class Levels. Anything like that... Also apparently if you take class levels to 10 and have a companion of some sort (Familiars)then that companion/familiar is level 20.

Yeah not sure why but that is what the DM said.

Also I'm not breaking this game, the DM wants this game broken. He also said something about taking on the gods.... I have no clue what he has planned but CR 20 is no where near high enough to take on gods.

A couple things.

1) I like the idea of epic spell casting before epic levels

2) I'm starting to consider Pun Pun for 1 session just to show the DM that what he is really asking for.

3) Simple is better though I'm willing to learn stuff in order to have some... Err Fun.

4) Also I would want someone I don't have to pick up items along the way sure some items will be nice to play with but I want most of my stuff to come from class (thus why I want epic spell casting and such) though contingency items are always great.

@Runestar I'm going to look into your suggestion first... As it sounds the most simple way to be evil >:D

Urpriest
2012-08-11, 11:43 AM
An Elemental Weird is another option in the casting department. You'll only be a level 26 caster or so, but past 21 it doesn't really matter and in between you'll have those tasty free action divinations.

SSGoW
2012-08-11, 01:05 PM
An Elemental Weird is another option in the casting department. You'll only be a level 26 caster or so, but past 21 it doesn't really matter and in between you'll have those tasty free action divinations.

What is an Elemental Weird? Or better yet where can I find such a creature?

I'm liking the name so far.

Randomguy
2012-08-11, 01:31 PM
What is an Elemental Weird? Or better yet where can I find such a creature?

I'm liking the name so far.

It's one of the most famous under cr-ed creatures. It's in MM2, comes in 4 varieties (one for each element) and most importantly it gets most divinations at well. As a free action. They see the future. All of it, at the same time.

You probably won't be able to play one, though, given they can't move from their elemental pools.

SSGoW
2012-08-11, 01:35 PM
It's one of the most famous under cr-ed creatures. It's in MM2, comes in 4 varieties (one for each element) and most importantly it gets most divinations at well. As a free action. They see the future. All of it, at the same time.

You probably won't be able to play one, though, given they can't move from their elemental pools.

Yeah I just found them in MM2. The pool thing sucks though and yeah I won't be able to play one unless I can leave the pool.

Does it say how long the summons last? What I could do is send them out to fight and do stuff while my main guy stands back and use divining magic to determine what to do and such. Hmm to many holes in that so never mind.

Couple questions, 1) is there a way to combine the elemental weird with another creature (such as through a template thus leaving behind its pool). 2) I'm thinking about worshiping the elder evils for a few free feats. Is there a down side to this that a DM could exploit? We are evil and unless we are immortal we will be going to hell eventually lol.

zlefin
2012-08-11, 10:03 PM
What's the CR on an emerald legionnaire? one of those might work well, or if their CR is too high you can get most of the parts necessary for an emerald legionnaire.