PDA

View Full Version : Can a Construct run?

Silkspinner
2012-08-10, 02:38 PM
Can a Construct use the run action? In particular an Astral Construct.

Can't find anything that gives such a restriction, but I read things like 'Unlike normal constructs, a living construct can use the run action' etc.

Yora
2012-08-10, 02:45 PM
No, there is no such rule.

HunterOfJello
2012-08-10, 02:46 PM
Good question. I love good questions!

There isn't any statement related to running in the basic Construct glossary entry in MM5 except for the fact that constructs lack a constitution score.

In the Run section of the PHB, it says that, "you can run for a number of rounds equal to your Constitution score (pg144)." Since all Constructs lack a constitution score, they can only run for a nonexistant number of rounds. Therefore, they can run, as long as they run for a time less than a nonexistant number of rounds. So yeah, they can't run. Corrected by post below. A constitution score doesn't stop something from running.

Yora
2012-08-10, 02:51 PM
Correction!

Though I had to search through the SRD quite a bit.

NONABILITIES

Constitution
A creature with no Constitution cannot tire and thus can run indefinitely without tiring (unless the creature’s description says it cannot run).

Downysole
2012-08-10, 02:59 PM
They mention walking a lot in the entries, but there's nothing in the book that I can find that prevents running.

Kelb_Panthera
2012-08-10, 03:05 PM
it has nothing to do with the construct type. It's creatures with int as a non-ability that can't run. This includes most constructs.

Xiander
2012-08-10, 03:13 PM
it has nothing to do with the construct type. It's creatures with int as a non-ability that can't run. This includes most constructs.

Tell me, how does that make sense?

Invader
2012-08-10, 03:20 PM
Tell me, how does that make sense?

I was having a hard time following that train of thought as well lol.

Invader
2012-08-10, 03:29 PM
I would say the short answer is yes, they can run indefinitely. I know of no reason or rule that says why a construct couldn't run.

Zherog
2012-08-10, 03:31 PM

Funny. That's not in the rules anywhere...

Intelligence: Any creature that can think, learn, or remember has at least 1 point of Intelligence. A creature with no Intelligence score is mindless, an automaton operating on simple instincts or programmed instructions. It has immunity to mind-affecting effects (charms, compulsions, phantasms, patterns, and morale effects) and automatically fails Intelligence checks.

Mindless creatures do not gain feats or skills, although they may have bonus feats or racial skill bonuses.

Do you have a source that overrides that?

Kelb_Panthera
2012-08-10, 03:36 PM

I can't find this rule........ perhaps I was mistaken. I'd've sworn that was right though.

It might've been only mindless undead and constructs that couldn't run.

I know with certainty that an intelligent construct can run, and run indefinitely, unless it's entry says otherwise.

Invader
2012-08-10, 03:38 PM
Why would a non intelligent construct not be able to run?

Invader
2012-08-10, 03:48 PM
In fact it specifically says in the description of a zombie that it can't run but has no such distinction for skeletons which would mean that they can.

Kelb_Panthera
2012-08-10, 04:11 PM
i said, "might be" I could well be wrong, but I think it would be a good idea to try and find all the relevant rules.

I'm having trouble finding even this interpretation and may well have been using mindless undead wrong for a while now.

Xiander
2012-08-10, 04:15 PM
i said, "might be" I could well be wrong, but I think it would be a good idea to try and find all the relevant rules.

I'm having trouble finding even this interpretation and may well have been using mindless undead wrong for a while now.

Personally I would question it even if the rule does exist. I see no reason a well preserved undead body should be unable to accelerate at the same speed as a living body.

Zombies I get, since they are meant to portray the walking rotting husk archetype.