PDA

View Full Version : E6 3.P Arcane Caster

MukkTB
2012-08-10, 05:55 PM
I'm getting ready to put together a character that has some arcane spellcasting. I want to open up a magic shop of sorts, selling services and possibly goods. I need a minimum of access to a decent array of lvl 1 spells to feel comfortable.

One option is a straight up Wizard 6. Pick up craft wondrous item and have access to 3rd level spells.

On the other hand I've been considering a Ranger with sword of the arcane order. I could set myself up as a 'field researcher' then using the tougher chassis and rounded skills while still providing lvl 1 spellcasting.

Any thoughts?

gorfnab
2012-08-10, 06:11 PM
Artificer would be a decent option.

Mystic Ranger (Drg# 336) nets you 3rd level spells at 6th level and combines nicely with Sword of the Arcane Order.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2012-08-10, 06:25 PM
The Mystic Ranger variant from Dragon magazine 336 gets 3rd level spells at Ranger 6 at full caster level. It loses the animal companion and proficiency in non-ranged martial weapons, and its other class features are all delayed by at least one level (2nd favored enemy is at 8th). You can still get Sword of the Arcane Order and cast up to 3rd level Wizard spells on the Ranger chassis, and pick up Magical Training (PGtF) to get a spellbook and the ability to scribe new spells into it.

You can combine that with the Wild Shape Ranger (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#ranger) variant and only lose one combat style feat. Take Extra Wild Shape and you'll have 24 hours worth of animal forms per day, and be sure to include Natural Spell. Run around in the shape of a Fleshraker dinosaur and put Wilding Clasps (MIC) on all your gear.

Wild Shape Mystic Ranger 6 is generally accepted as the most powerful E6 character possible.

If you want some extreme shenanigans, go for a Spellhoarding Dragonwrought Venerable Desert Kobold Loredrake with the Greater Draconic Rite of Passage. Take Martial Wizard (Conjurer) 1/ Stalwart Battle Sorcerer 4/ Mindbender 1.
Draconic Rite of Passage: Charm Person; Enchantment and Evocation prohibited; Abrupt Jaunt via Wizard; Familiar via Sorcerer.
One flaw; Dragonwrought (1), Collegiat Wizard (1), Draconic Reserve (3), Mindsight (6).
Improved Initiative (W1); Scribe Scroll (SH), Eschew Materials (SH); Martial Weapon Proficiency: any light or one-handed melee weapon (SBS), Martial Weapon Proficiency and Weapon Focus: any martial weapon (SBS).

That casts spells as a 9th level Wizard (Conjurer), and automatically knows at least four 5th, eight 4th, eight third, eight second, and however many 1st level Wizard spells. Your spells are scribed on your scales (called a spellhoard) instead of in a spellbook, so there's never any risk of them being lost, stolen, or destroyed. You can copy the same spell onto your scales multiple times to fuel special spellhoard abilities, such as spending a spell copy to cast it as though from a scroll, spending a spell copy to substitute a costly material component for a spell, and spending a spell copy plus sacrificing a gem to add a spell you counter directly to your spellhoard even if it doesn't appear on the wizard spell list.

Analytica
2012-08-11, 01:37 PM
Consider the Pathinder Witch class.

QuickLyRaiNbow
2012-08-11, 05:48 PM
Psionic Artificer?

Spuddles
2012-08-11, 06:24 PM
Magical Training gives you a spellbook, but in and of itself, does not give you the ability to add spells to it.