PDA

View Full Version : racial variants and racial substitution levels

umbergod
2012-08-10, 06:24 PM
Can racial variants (a Whisper Gnome for example) still take advantage of and use racial substitution levels?

Thrice Dead Cat
2012-08-10, 06:43 PM
The requirements are based on creature subtype or type. As whisper gnomes are still Humanoids (Gnomes), they can still take gnome racial substitution levels and feats that require the character be a gnome.

The few exceptions to this are Eberron's Dragonmark feats and any substitution level that says otherwise in its description.

This leads to the funny scenario where Half-elves qualify for the Wizard Elven Generalist substitution levels as they are humanoids (elf).

umbergod
2012-08-10, 06:56 PM
The requirements are based on creature subtype or type. As whisper gnomes are still Humanoids (Gnomes), they can still take gnome racial substitution levels and feats that require the character be a gnome.

The few exceptions to this are Eberron's Dragonmark feats and any substitution level that says otherwise in its description.

This leads to the funny scenario where Half-elves qualify for the Wizard Elven Generalist substitution levels as they are humanoids (elf).

Hmmm, well that is good to know. I could see a half elf raised in elven society being able to take elven substitution levels, but if I were a DM and the player stated his/her half elf was human raised I wouldn't allow it since it wouldn't make sense