PDA

View Full Version : Lore question about space marines.

Sir_Gabes
2012-08-10, 06:36 PM
Hey guys, I need some 40k buffs to talk this out with me. I'm playing a Blood Angel Assault Marine for a current RL deathwatch game. I have some questions about role playing a blood angel. In my character's background he was betrayed by a member of his unit who lead him into a chaos space marine ambush. His unit fought hard and most had died. An imperial guard regiment came in and saved his life by fighting off the chaos space marines. My character from that point had a great respect for the imperial guard and their work. He considered them the true life blood of the empire and worked hard to protect them in later battles. He spent time with the men talking and learning their names and faces. He did his best to inspire their fighting spirit and in time learnt they had far more to lose. My question is does any of this sound like a viable space marine personality. I want him to have a mistrust of psykers as well. I think that is everyone in the warhammer world though. I'm not fully sure if blood angels even go down chaos road lore wise. I want the betrayer in question to be a psyker, hence the distrust. Are there any talents I could get to reflect this background?

Water_Bear
2012-08-10, 07:04 PM
I'll admit I'm not a huge Blood Angel fan, so I don't know if they're likely to be reasonable and charitable to the Guard or if they're baby-devouring war machines.

I did find a Wiki which seems to come down on the side of "angry vampires who are trying to be less angry and vampiric." (http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Blood_Angels) So I guess either one?

Just remember; to really role-play a Space Marine you need to look to your Spiritual Liege in all things, and curse the inferiority of your non-smurf Geneseed. :smalltongue:

Sir_Gabes
2012-08-10, 07:11 PM
Just remember; to really role-play a Space Marine you need to look to your Spiritual Liege in all things, and curse the inferiority of your non-smurf Geneseed. :smalltongue:

what do you mean by non-smurf?

comicshorse
2012-08-10, 07:13 PM
I don't think its a opinion thats going to make him awfully popular with his fellow marines but its not unreasonable. After all its a big galaxy and there are only so many Space Marines, the vast number of the Imperial army are arguablly what holds the Imperium together.
I always personally felt it takes more courage to face the horrors of 40K Universe when you are armed with a mass produced pop gun and are just a poor human than when you're a genetically enginered killing machine in power armour with a gun that packs more firepower than the average Imperial Gaurd platoon.

Sir_Gabes
2012-08-10, 07:21 PM
I don't think its a opinion thats going to make him awfully popular with his fellow marines but its not unreasonable. After all its a big galaxy and there are only so many Space Marines, the vast number of the Imperial army are arguablly what holds the Imperium together.
I always personally felt it takes more courage to face the horrors of 40K Universe when you are armed with a mass produced pop gun and are just a poor human than when you're a genetically enginered killing machine in power armour with a gun that packs more firepower than the average Imperial Gaurd platoon.

Exactly my character's idea of why he respects them. He feels like the world needs space marines. But, he thinks that the guard make the greater sacrifice at the end of the day. Couple this with the fact a regiment of common guardsmen saved what was left of his unit and prevented their geneseed from falling into the wrong hands. Some space marines would be glory hogs. (Looking at you space wolves) They would not give credit where it's due. My character would have a different outlook. He would believe the guard are the glue that keeps the empire strong.

Water_Bear
2012-08-10, 07:33 PM
what do you mean by non-smurf?

Basically, Mark Ward is a big Ultramarine (AKA Ultrasmurf, because of the blue armor) player and has written some really atrocious fluff in the latest (?) Marine Codex.

The official Games Workshop position now, unless they've released a new codex while I was hibernating, is that all Space Marines who aren't descended from Roboute Guilliman's geneseed are deficient and can never only hope to emulate their Spiritual Liege. There was a lot of internet rage about it back in the day.

Thus; Komedy!

Sir_Gabes
2012-08-10, 07:59 PM
Basically, Mark Ward is a big Ultramarine (AKA Ultrasmurf, because of the blue armor) player and has written some really atrocious fluff in the latest (?) Marine Codex.

The official Games Workshop position now, unless they've released a new codex while I was hibernating, is that all Space Marines who aren't descended from Roboute Guilliman's geneseed are deficient and can never only hope to emulate their Spiritual Liege. There was a lot of internet rage about it back in the day.

Thus; Komedy!

Was he insinuating that the ultramarines "felt" superior or that the facts are simply ultramarines are better. Because, Roboute Gulliman doesn't have a tank named after him. Hell I even had to wiki that name. I'm pretty sure the only people who even care about ultramarines is games workshop. There are like a million more interesting chapters than ultravanillasmurfs.

Phoenixguard09
2012-08-10, 08:23 PM
No, Ward was literally saying that chapters like the Raven Guard, Salamanders, White Scars etc. were all butthurt because Rowboat Girlyman wasn't their Primarch and that THEY wished they could be Ultras.

Which is utterly ridiculous.

As to the OP's question, in a galaxy like 40k, I'm certain that there would be at least one Blood Angel who felt that way.

The Horus Heresy book "Primarchs," has a story about the Iron Hands and one of the main characters expresses a concern for the guardsmen. The rest of his Legion (including his Primarch, Ferrus Manus) think he's off his rocker, but he's proven right.

And then killed in combat.

Now I know that the Horus Heresy books are 30k and not 40k, but there's at least one example of respect for the little fleshy grunts.

Another possible example would be the Salamander's Chapter Master in one of the wars for Armageddon, (The third one perhaps?) who punched out a Captain from another chapter for ordering an artillery strike on a Guard position which was in danger of being overrun.

Sanguinius' reputation as the saviour of the Imperium suggests to me that he was a bit nicer than the majority of the other Primarchs. He's also referred to as the wisest and the people's favourite. I'm not sure where, but even Horus says that Sanguinius should have gotten the Warmaster position.

All of that leads me to think that Blood Angels would be one of the more "humanitarian" chapters around. Provided you discard all of the newer, blatant, Edward-Cullen-esque angst of course.

To recap: Yes, I reckon that is a totally reasonable approach to take for your character and I wish you luck with it.

As far as the mistrust of psykers and corruption goes, Astartes tend to be a little better about that than the average human, but if in that situation, your Blood Angel would probably distrust them a bit too. We don't really know much about what shock and stress do to the Marine psyche, so it's immenently possible.

As to corruption, everyone is susceptible, especially psykers. One note though, your betrayer, provied he's a Marine, should be a Librarian. You probably knew that but figured I'd just let you know.

Good luck mate, :D

Logic
2012-08-10, 09:32 PM
The position that the "Ultramarines are the Space marines that everyone wishes they were!" is pretty funny. Because, if I recall correctly, the Ultramarines were originally intended to be a fairly blank slate for simplicity.

awa
2012-08-10, 09:51 PM
its been a long time and several editions but weren't blood angles the crazy frothing berserkers?

Sir_Gabes
2012-08-10, 11:19 PM
its been a long time and several editions but weren't blood angles the crazy frothing berserkers?

In combat yes. But, outside of combat they can be quite eloquent and well spoken.

Beleriphon
2012-08-10, 11:36 PM
In combat yes. But, outside of combat they can be quite eloquent and well spoken.

Unless the Black Rage has taken over, at which point its best to air drop them and run the other way.

Sir_Gabes
2012-08-11, 12:12 AM
Azrael

Azrael is a member of the Blood Angels. His military history is marked with both distinction and disgrace. Azrael was born on the planet Baal Secondus. He was hideous creature, but strong and determined to prove himself. In his early years he was known to have used his cunning to kill a fire scorpion. Later he would compete in the great tournament by Angel's Fall, to determine who would ascend into the exceptional ranks of the Blood Angel Space Marines. Needless to say Azrael destroyed his competition. The other competitors had no chance against his aggressive and determined spirit. Azrael was destined to drink of the sanguinary chalice.*The gene seed took to him perfectly and he was made anew. A beautiful angelic man. *No evidence of his harsh former life remained. His hair rather than turning a golden hue, turned jet black. Some superstitious priests believed this a bad omen, however all doubts against Azrael were quickly disproven.

*Azrael*showed exceptional talent and ability. During training he was complemented on his focus and form. Many superiors found him quick to lash out when angered and felt his hot-headed nature could be a risk to his fellow battle-brothers. Azrael joined an assault marine squad under a company lead by a Librarian named Cassius. During his first few missions Azrael and his squad was given easy work. Azrael wasn't truly tested until the unexpected betrayal of Cassius. Corrupted by the words of Tzentch, Cassius and a small portion of the company, lead Azrael*and a*group loyal Blood Angels into a Chaos ambush. The fighting was intense and his squad and fellow battle-brothers barely survived. With only two other members of his assault squad alive, he kept them busy until an Imperial guard regiment quickly joined the fight ,beating back the ambush.

Crushed by the betrayal of Cassius and the death of many of his brothers. Azrael returned with the regiment to their fortified position. Azrael sat with the imperial guard speaking with them as though equal. Azrael learnt that day the imperial Guard's true sacrifice and the role they played in the survival of the Imperium. He learnt names and faces. He prayed to the god emperor their sacrifice would mean something. Azrael had a healthy respect for the imperial guard from that day forth. He realized their existence was critical and empathized with them.

The Ultramarines reinforced the position shortly after. The Imperial Guard were given orders to move ahead and attack the enemies position. The Ultramarines planned to use the Imperial Guard to soften up the Chaos forces and minimize further Space Marine casualties. Azrael opposed the Ultramarine sergeant, but the sergeant insisted the codex astartes approved of this tactic and anything else would be fool hardy and dangerous. Azrael bit his tongue at first, but when the ultramarine sergeant chose to order artillery fire on the Imperial Guard's position, once they had engaged the chaos forces, Azrael had enough. Azrael defied the sergeant*and charged towards the battle with the other two members of his squad. The chaos forces were overwhelming at first, but the Ultramarines eventually decided to join the battle and they managed to fight off the chaos forces. However Cassius and the those loyal to him retreated from the fight and escaped the planet.

The Ultramarines recommended a harsh reprimand to the chapter master. Stating that Azrael was hot-headed and completely disregarded the codex astartes, when charging *the enemy forces. Blood Angels instead complimented Azrael's fearless commitment to the emperor and his desire to eliminate the chaos forces. Stating it must of been difficult to face down such heretical betrayal. When asked about it all, Azrael stated it felt like a bad dream.*

Azrael was recommended to join deathwatch shortly after. Azrael naturally didn't object to such an honor.

tl;dr? It's my characters back story. Some stuff happens!

comicshorse
2012-08-11, 08:03 AM
The Chaos marines would be the Thousand Sons I presume, for the Tzeentch connection

awa
2012-08-11, 08:09 AM
not all marines who worship Tzeentch belong to the thousand sons

Jack of Spades
2012-08-11, 11:20 AM
Possibly not Ultramarines for the "meh, just throw guardsmen at it" role. They tend to be pretty hero-of-the-Imperium-save-all-the-puny-humans. Possibly the Iron Hands, or Dark Angels. They tend to be a bit more callous, hate chaos passionately, and favor artillery tactics (not that Space Marines do much of that anyhow).

As for the backstory, why not. Part of the appeal of the 40k universe is that it's generally assumed to be big enough for anything to be possible. Sure, your fellow Ordo Xenos will occasionally find it a bit odd that you care so much about the Angry Flashlight Brigade, but Deathwatch marines are used to the diverse tastes and tactics of the many chapters. In fact, the far-too-common Ultramarines and the fan-favorite Salamanders are first founding chapters who share a deep respect for the "common men" of the Imperium.

re: Tzeentch: I'd say Alpha Legion, to be honest. Chaos Undivided so they get to use whichever damn god they please. Also, impersonating/corrupting loyal marines in order to set up an ambush is kinda their general schtick.

Tyndmyr
2012-08-11, 11:30 AM
Hey guys, I need some 40k buffs to talk this out with me. I'm playing a Blood Angel Assault Marine for a current RL deathwatch game. I have some questions about role playing a blood angel. In my character's background he was betrayed by a member of his unit who lead him into a chaos space marine ambush. His unit fought hard and most had died. An imperial guard regiment came in and saved his life by fighting off the chaos space marines. My character from that point had a great respect for the imperial guard and their work. He considered them the true life blood of the empire and worked hard to protect them in later battles. He spent time with the men talking and learning their names and faces. He did his best to inspire their fighting spirit and in time learnt they had far more to lose. My question is does any of this sound like a viable space marine personality. I want him to have a mistrust of psykers as well. I think that is everyone in the warhammer world though. I'm not fully sure if blood angels even go down chaos road lore wise. I want the betrayer in question to be a psyker, hence the distrust. Are there any talents I could get to reflect this background?

Long time blood angels player here...I've got about five companies built up, though I haven't played in a year or two.

The distrust of psykers is...pretty common. You could just explain that the psyker got taken over by...something else. Happens all the time in 40k world.

Now, there's not a lot of chaos from blood angels, but there IS the blood rage thing. Which, frankly, is also a great option to justify it. Psyker just lost it.

The respect for the guardsmen at that level seems more unusual, but still easily justifiable. If he's ended up fighting side by side with them, and been impressed by their determination to fight, despite not having the arms and training he does, and of course, their sacrifices, I can easily see him respecting the hell out of them.

Sir_Gabes
2012-08-11, 04:00 PM
Possibly not Ultramarines for the "meh, just throw guardsmen at it" role. They tend to be pretty hero-of-the-Imperium-save-all-the-puny-humans. Possibly the Iron Hands, or Dark Angels. They tend to be a bit more callous, hate chaos passionately, and favor artillery tactics (not that Space Marines do much of that anyhow).

I may review this part of the back story. I just figured it would annoy ultramarines more. "Because, the Codex Astartes is the holy bible which everything must be done by."

The inquisition might be a good option or even a really harsh commissar. Honestly, anyone who would get angry afterward is pretty much a good option. I do like the idea about Iron hands. Them viewing the flesh is weak and such.

The respect for the guardsmen at that level seems more unusual, but still easily justifiable. If he's ended up fighting side by side with them, and been impressed by their determination to fight, despite not having the arms and training he does, and of course, their sacrifices, I can easily see him respecting the hell out of them.

Couple that with the fact they saved his life and gave him a chance to get revenge.

Now, there's not a lot of chaos from blood angels, but there IS the blood rage thing. Which, frankly, is also a great option to justify it. Psyker just lost it.

Cassius is an older space marine. Even for a blood angel, who have extended lives. He started growing frail in mind and eventually began being mislead by Tzentch. Who, promised him power naturally. The efforts of Tzentch eventually drove Cassius insane.

The Chaos marines would be the Thousand Sons I presume, for the Tzeentch connection

As far as the chaos warband I will ask the DM which ones we will possibly fight against (if any) and probably use that one. That gives him a reason to include Cassius in the story. Even if I have to switch out for Slanesh or Khorne. (Khorne is less justifiable for my story.) The groups seems to be interested in fighting, Chaos, Orcs or Tyranids and the GM asked our opinion what enemies we would like to fight. Chaos was the crowd favourite.

Zorg
2012-08-11, 05:22 PM
There's a story from 2nd ed about the second battle for Armageddon where a Blood Angel notes how the guardsmen fighting alongside him aren't wearing power aromour and lack genetic enhancements, so are tough hombres and deserving of some respect - so there's legitimate background reasoning for your character's view.

A Chapter that would send waves of guardsmen to save thier own skins would be a pretty wussy one. Something more like 'to reduce resistance', 'misdirect the opposition' or 'create an opening' is how a Marine would phrase it (though functionally the same) :smalltongue:
Prettymuch any Chapter would do that - it's the ones who don't who are teh notable exceptions.

Only other issue is his name - Azrael is a Dark Angel name (their Chapter Master in fact). Blood Angels have Italian sounding names like Leon, Noctis, Omnio, Scipio, Gideon, Calistarius, Lorenzo etc.

As a note the BA's main thing is tradgedy - they are the greatest of all marines (despite what Matt Ward thinks): noble in deed, pure of heart, fierce in battle, skilled in craft and all that jazz. But they're cursed in the worst manner, haunted by the death of Sanguinius in a way that turns them into everything they would otherwise be the opposite of.

There's also a difference between the Red Thirst and the Black Rage. Red Thirst is bloodlust, which can take over in the heat of battle (berserker rage). In some successor chapters it has gotten worse/twisted, but the Blood Angels normally control it. If you lose to the Red Thirst totally you go crazy and are put to death.
The Black Rage is when the psychic imprint of Sanguinius' death manifests in the genetic structure of a BA or successor. Basically you start hallucinating that you're at the seige of Terra and that you can feel Sanguinius dying. If this happens you get stuck in the Death Company as you become an unstoppable killing machine of badassery - but also a not very controllable one. If you survive they execute you.

If you've got other background questions there's a thread for lore discussion in the Other Games section you can drop in to as well :smallsmile:

Sir_Gabes
2012-08-11, 06:54 PM
There's a story from 2nd ed about the second battle for Armageddon where a Blood Angel notes how the guardsmen fighting alongside him aren't wearing power aromour and lack genetic enhancements, so are tough hombres and deserving of some respect - so there's legitimate background reasoning for your character's view.

A Chapter that would send waves of guardsmen to save thier own skins would be a pretty wussy one. Something more like 'to reduce resistance', 'misdirect the opposition' or 'create an opening' is how a Marine would phrase it (though functionally the same) :smalltongue:
Prettymuch any Chapter would do that - it's the ones who don't who are teh notable exceptions.

Only other issue is his name - Azrael is a Dark Angel name (their Chapter Master in fact). Blood Angels have Italian sounding names like Leon, Noctis, Omnio, Scipio, Gideon, Calistarius, Lorenzo etc.

As a note the BA's main thing is tradgedy - they are the greatest of all marines (despite what Matt Ward thinks): noble in deed, pure of heart, fierce in battle, skilled in craft and all that jazz. But they're cursed in the worst manner, haunted by the death of Sanguinius in a way that turns them into everything they would otherwise be the opposite of.

There's also a difference between the Red Thirst and the Black Rage. Red Thirst is bloodlust, which can take over in the heat of battle (berserker rage). In some successor chapters it has gotten worse/twisted, but the Blood Angels normally control it. If you lose to the Red Thirst totally you go crazy and are put to death.
The Black Rage is when the psychic imprint of Sanguinius' death manifests in the genetic structure of a BA or successor. Basically you start hallucinating that you're at the seige of Terra and that you can feel Sanguinius dying. If this happens you get stuck in the Death Company as you become an unstoppable killing machine of badassery - but also a not very controllable one. If you survive they execute you.

If you've got other background questions there's a thread for lore discussion in the Other Games section you can drop in to as well :smallsmile:

This is a very good answer. Thank you, I will change my character's name. (when I think of one. :smallamused:) I'm kinda familiar, with the gene seed flaws that blood angels have, but the elaboration is helpful.

I rolled my power armour's history. I'm in Corvus armour by the way.

A Hero's Spirit
---- While in Solo Mode, may choose to gain +15 WS, +15 BS and immune to Fear and Pinning for duration of combat.
---- May not enter Squad Mode during this time, and after combat is over gains 3d10 Insanity Points.

The Gauntlets of Xirion
---- MK4 gauntlets*(Arm Armour 7). +10WS, +5 Fellowship when dealing with anyone loyal to Imperium of Man.

Are their any notable heroes in the Blood Angels who wore Corvus armour, that I might of recieved my armour from? I'm pretty happy with these rolls. It adds flavour to my war gear.

Phoenixguard09
2012-08-11, 09:58 PM
The nature of Space Marines is such that you can be assured that there was at least a hundred great heroes of the Imperium who wore Corvus plate.

EDIT* Most importantly, at least a hundred in the Blood Angels alone.

As far as named instances go however, I know of none. The Corvus armour was developed for use mainly by the Raven Guard as far as I'm aware and the time-frame seems to overlap with the more common Aquila plate.

I'd just make up a Veteran Sergeant of an assault squad.

Jack of Spades
2012-08-12, 02:11 AM
I'm bored, so have an armor story.

This armor was originally worn by the Legionnaire Caelarius, a valiant and heroic warrior who had the honor of fighting alongside Sanguinius himself during the opening acts of the Horus Heresy. Caelarius favored a great two-handed sword, which he carried into the heart of battle with a ferocity which was surprising even for the Blood Angels. During the battle of Signus Prime, Caelarius was one of those marines who stood shoulder-to-shoulder with the Primarch as he destroyed the vile Deamon Prince Ka'Bandha. During that very battle, Caelarius was caught by surprise as he raised his sword to crush some vile abomination. Both of his vambraces were shattered, his hands removed by the vile warp-blade of a Bloodletter, and the Legionnaire fell, torn apart mere meters from the body of his unconscious Progenitor.

Decades after the Heresy's crescendo on Holy Terra, Signus Prime was retaken by the Imperium and the wargear left upon it was recovered. Most of the artefacts found on the planet had to be destroyed, as the fledgeling Ecclesiarchy was wary of the warp's taint and refused to take risks in such matters. However, the armor of Caelarius was interred in the halls of the Fortress-Monastery on Baal as a relic. In place of the sundered gauntlets of the original suit were placed older ones which had not been circulating through the techpriests of each chapter for some time. The magi of the Blood Angels, eager to "complete" one of their holy relics, repainted the gauntlets crimson and conducted the rituals necessary to bind their machine-spirits with those of the power armor.

When [your name here] was given the Armor of Caelarius, he was told the story of its original inhabitant, as is the custom of the Space Marines. The bestowal of this relic was a show of the chapter's faith in young Brother [your name here], as well as being the final ritual of his initiation.

So yeah, there you go. Signus Prime was a canon battle, but everything else I came up with on the fly, so feel free to take parts of it or none of it as you see fit. Given that 99% of all armor was made around the time of the Heresy, there were probably at least a dozen previous inhabitants of this particular armor, so there's plenty of space for flavor.

As far as named instances go however, I know of none. The Corvus armour was developed for use mainly by the Raven Guard as far as I'm aware and the time-frame seems to overlap with the more common Aquila plate.

Well, Corvus armor is one of the three sorts of armor (Mk5-Mk7, Corvus being Mk6) developed during the Horus Heresy, but it tends to be a favorite of Assault marines because it's a bit more agile than Mk7 with minimal sacrifice to the armor's protective ability. It's preferred specifically by the Raven Guard because they tend to be more assault-heavy than other chapters. However, each Legion would have gotten about an equal amount of each sort of armor, with Mk7 being the most common simply because it's had the least time to be eliminated by attrition.

Sir_Gabes
2012-08-12, 06:14 AM
I'm bored, so have an armor story.

This armor was originally worn by the Legionnaire Caelarius, a valiant and heroic warrior who had the honor of fighting alongside Sanguinius himself during the opening acts of the Horus Heresy. Caelarius favored a great two-handed sword, which he carried into the heart of battle with a ferocity which was surprising even for the Blood Angels. During the battle of Signus Prime, Caelarius was one of those marines who stood shoulder-to-shoulder with the Primarch as he destroyed the vile Deamon Prince Ka'Bandha. During that very battle, Caelarius was caught by surprise as he raised his sword to crush some vile abomination. Both of his vambraces were shattered, his hands removed by the vile warp-blade of a Bloodletter, and the Legionnaire fell, torn apart mere meters from the body of his unconscious Progenitor.

Decades after the Heresy's crescendo on Holy Terra, Signus Prime was retaken by the Imperium and the wargear left upon it was recovered. Most of the artefacts found on the planet had to be destroyed, as the fledgeling Ecclesiarchy was wary of the warp's taint and refused to take risks in such matters. However, the armor of Caelarius was interred in the halls of the Fortress-Monastery on Baal as a relic. In place of the sundered gauntlets of the original suit were placed older ones which had not been circulating through the techpriests of each chapter for some time. The magi of the Blood Angels, eager to "complete" one of their holy relics, repainted the gauntlets crimson and conducted the rituals necessary to bind their machine-spirits with those of the power armor.

When [your name here] was given the Armor of Caelarius, he was told the story of its original inhabitant, as is the custom of the Space Marines. The bestowal of this relic was a show of the chapter's faith in young Brother [your name here], as well as being the final ritual of his initiation.

So yeah, there you go. Signus Prime was a canon battle, but everything else I came up with on the fly, so feel free to take parts of it or none of it as you see fit. Given that 99% of all armor was made around the time of the Heresy, there were probably at least a dozen previous inhabitants of this particular armor, so there's plenty of space for flavor.

Nice work, I like this background. I will e-mail it to my GM.

Phoenixguard09
2012-08-14, 04:14 AM
That's quite nice work there Jack of Spades. Well written and it fits in with existing fluff, so very nice. ;)

I found a little info on the Corvus plate. I knew there was a connection between the Raven Guard and MkVI armour but it wasn't as a strong as I remembered.

The Mk.VI suit protype design was field-tested by Legionaries of the Raven Guard, whose experiences and comments resulted in improved design features in the finalised armour mark.

The finalised armour mark was named Corvus Armour in honour of Corvus Corax, Primarch of the Raven Guard, and the first sets of it shipped to the Raven Guard Legion ahead of all other loyalist legions, in recognition not only of their role in the design process, but of the sacrifices made by the Raven Guard in the Drop Site Massacre and their determinaton to rebuild and rejoin the fight against Horus the Great Betrayer.
- From Lexicanum