PDA

View Full Version : Project: Sketch the Party

Kymriana
2012-08-10, 10:39 PM
Well, my sketchbook and I had a falling out over the last year due to my job at the time(Bioware) and the rather hefty project I was working on there.... and we've just recently begun to see each other again. My coworkers there managed to put together a gaming group and have been muddling through playing 3.5 mixed with a bit of homebrew... got some new players, some experienced players and some minor drama, but all in all it's a really fun group with some very wacky oddball characters.

Case in point: The Cleric.

AKA: My character.

I started to sketch her for the hell of it, decided I would see just how rusty I had become(and the answer is very freakin' rusty...) and ended up agreeing to draw the other people in the party as well, though work has put a crimp in that now that I have a new company(Ncsoft) and work is picking up THERE... ah, the joys.

Anyway, lots of babble and not a lot of art so far, so I'll cut to the chase and post up the rather messy dirty scan of my Dragonborn of Tiamat Lawful Evil Cleric who focused on Necromancy. At least, that's what she USED to look like. The rogue kinda got her blown up and a deity nabbed her soul, traded it to someone else, and she got reincarnated as a Very Young Red Dragon. (Which I'm very cool with, even if it isn't optimized and all that jazz... I value RP and uniqueness over 'l33t' in gaming and have been very fortunate with the groups I've had in that regard.) As I get other characters in our group sketched up I'll try to pop them up on here, provided I'm not told to scram. Heh. Anyway...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v428/kotoriky/DnD_Kymriana_pencil1a.jpg

So yeah... there ya go. I'll just scurry off to a corner and go back to lurking while I doodle.

Dark Elf Bard
2012-08-11, 10:20 AM
Damn!

Damn!

This is "rusty?"

Kymriana
2012-08-11, 10:49 AM
Well, rusty for me for a few reasons. Haha... It took me around 2 weeks+ to get that sketch into that state... which is hideously long for a base pencil sketch. And it STILL feels unbalanced. I didn't really work hard on the wings because my character got blown up around the time I got to working on that part... nor did I add any scale detail to her feet/hands. (Her lack of tail bothers me to NO end, as it felt it added to the unbalanced feel for the character...) I'm also still waffling on the proportions... (Every artist is their own worst critic, but I know that I'm particularly bad about it and rarely ever like my own art. That said, if it makes the friends I sketch for happy, I generally just smile and feel good at that point. Then go back and re-work the pic to death on my own, hate it, and shove it into a folder in a closet never to be seen again.)

Considering the sketch for my TOR Sith Hybrid that I did last year(a friend colored it, these are NOT my colors) I feel that Kym here is very 'rusty' still.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v428/kotoriky/Mal_luniColors.jpg

Hopefully I can do better with the half-shadow dragon kobold rogue(who is the one who got my character blown up...). Even if he has asked for overly complicated armor(Nightingale set from Skyrim as the basis... and a Deadric Axe for the 'talking axe' he stole from a heavily enchanted chest) and weapon.. he's just lucky I think his character is awesome or I'd do something mean to his sketch. XD

Kymriana
2012-08-17, 10:30 PM
Started sketching up the Half Shadow-Dragon/Kobold about an hour ago. I'm a little torn on his shoulders... I don't like how they're looking and I'm waffling. I think the problem is the one that's shifted forward where he's holding the stupidly-big-axe-for-a-kobold. I might also move the far shoulder in a bit, too... I don't want him to be TOO broad-shouldered... but at the same time I don't want him to look like he can't support the dragon-head. Thoughts?

I'll update with a more 'clean' sketch as it comes along. He's requested the Nightingale Armor from Skyrim as the basis for his leather armor, so it's going to be a long road of detail work. And the axe. The stupid 'base if on the Deadric Axe' weapon...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v428/kotoriky/base_sketch_talwerda1.jpg

Dark Elf Bard
2012-08-17, 10:34 PM
The shou;ders look a bit humpy, like there's an enormous wart on them. Maybe make them flow more naturally?

Kymriana
2012-08-17, 10:42 PM
The shou;ders look a bit humpy, like there's an enormous wart on them. Maybe make them flow more naturally?

Noted, and agreed. I cut them down much more and brought the far arm in a bit to the body. Better?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v428/kotoriky/shoulder_adjustment_talwerda.jpg

Kymriana
2012-08-18, 11:12 AM
Quick update on Talwerda's pic before I run off to pick up the GM for this week's game session. I'll show it to the player and get their feedback. I hope he's okay with what I have so far. Honestly, a Shadow Dragon head takes a lot of the goofy out of a Kobold... XD

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v428/kotoriky/base_sketch_talwerda2.jpg

Dark Elf Bard
2012-08-18, 04:18 PM
Very good, although holding an axe that way will get your claw cut off.