PDA

View Full Version : Kitty's end

martianmister
2012-08-11, 04:20 AM
We know that Belkar's kitty is neutral alignment at best, should be killed by Durkon's Holy Word. Will be that the cause of death he reserved? (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0780.html)

Finagle
2012-08-11, 04:43 AM
Roy already killed Kitty four hundred strips ago. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0359.html)

coineineagh
2012-08-11, 04:56 AM
"You.. you named your hawk Kitty?":smallbiggrin:

Perhaps hanging around with Paladins most of its life, will have made Mr. Scruffy strongly radiate Good (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0202.html). It might even protect against Holy Word.

Anyway, I don't see the cat in the ambush zone, so maybe it's out of range.

coineineagh
2012-08-11, 05:04 AM
On a sidenote: I'm putting my chips on Belkar's end coming in the next few strips. Tarquin is strongly criticizing Nale every step of the way, but he is still Nale's father. He doesn't want to see him get killed by a sadistic little halfling, regardless of whether Nale is a competent leader or not. In fact, it appears to me that they are bonding, in an awkward way, by having these arguments about leadership.

zimmerwald1915
2012-08-11, 09:38 AM
If Mister Scruffy's an animal companion, he has 8 bonus HD, putting his total HD at 9. If he was in Holy Word's AoE, he would be paralyzed, blinded, and deafened, but not killed.

Kish
2012-08-11, 09:41 AM
If Mister Scruffy's an animal companion, he has 8 bonus HD, putting his total HD at 9.
Remember, Belkar's effects on his animal companion are calculated as a druid of half his ranger level.

That said, I do not believe Rich is going to do, "Roy's plan resulted in Durkon causing the death of Mr. Scruffy due to a careless oversight/lack of concern on the parts of both Roy and Durkon."

zimmerwald1915
2012-08-11, 09:42 AM
Remember, Belkar's effects on his animal companion are calculated as a druid of half his ranger level.
Bleh, played too much Pathfinder. That's 4 bonus HD then. He'd better be out of range.

Gift Jeraff
2012-08-11, 10:06 AM
He already died between #853 and #855.

FujinAkari
2012-08-11, 12:43 PM

That said, I do not believe Rich is going to do, "Roy's plan resulted in Durkon causing the death of Mr. Scruffy due to a careless oversight/lack of concern on the parts of both Roy and Durkon."

Animal Companions phase in and out of existance at whim, since we cannot see Mr. Scruffy, it can be assumed that he isn't currently existing and therefore not within range.

jere7my
2012-08-11, 01:21 PM
I realize the spell description doesn't support this interpretation, but if I were the DM, I would house rule that Holy Word doesn't affect animals that aren't actively trying to harm the party. Creating a 40-foot sphere of death in, say, the middle of a forest, within which every chipmunk, beetle, salamander, woodpecker, nematode, diatom, and amoeba is exterminated, doesn't sound like the sort of thing a good-aligned deity would get behind. It's a divine power; gods can build in an exception so as to not wipe out minding-their-own-business animals that are part of the natural order.

Commander672
2012-08-11, 02:16 PM
If Holy Word does kill true neutral animals, though, it'd be a great way to get rid of mosqitoes. If it kills everything not Lawful good down to the bacterial level, it'd be a great way to sterilize a hospital room (and equipment) before moving the patient in for surgery.

Kish
2012-08-11, 03:31 PM
There's nothing Lawful about Holy Word. :smallannoyed: It's not Holy Dictum.

dps
2012-08-11, 04:11 PM
I realize the spell description doesn't support this interpretation, but if I were the DM, I would house rule that Holy Word doesn't affect animals that aren't actively trying to harm the party. Creating a 40-foot sphere of death in, say, the middle of a forest, within which every chipmunk, beetle, salamander, woodpecker, nematode, diatom, and amoeba is exterminated, doesn't sound like the sort of thing a good-aligned deity would get behind. It's a divine power; gods can build in an exception so as to not wipe out minding-their-own-business animals that are part of the natural order.

Yes, I would agree with that.

Though that does beg the question as to why the rules don't actually say that. My guess (and it's only a guess) is that the intent is that the spell should affect animal companions and the like, but not just the typical, normal animal that might happen to be in the area, and they didn't make an exception for mundane animals because the writers didn't even take their possible presence into consideration.

Emperordaniel
2012-08-11, 04:47 PM

Perhaps I can research that spell, though... :smalltongue:

Mordokai
2012-08-11, 05:55 PM
If Holy Word does kill true neutral animals, though, it'd be a great way to get rid of mosqitoes. If it kills everything not Lawful good down to the bacterial level, it'd be a great way to sterilize a hospital room (and equipment) before moving the patient in for surgery.

Heeeey now, there's an interesting use of spell if I've ever seen one...

Oh don't get so uppity about it, it was an honest mistake.

Kish
2012-08-11, 06:12 PM
Oh don't get so uppity about it, it was an honest mistake.
I do believe that's the first time I ever saw anyone non-ironically use the word "uppity."

Tridax
2012-08-18, 11:04 AM
Animal Companions phase in and out of existance at whim, since we cannot see Mr. Scruffy, it can be assumed that he isn't currently existing and therefore not within range.

I tend to think that mr Scruffy is a usual cat. He stayed when separated from Belkar, and overall no signs of magic were shown.

Winter
2012-08-18, 11:17 AM

That was a joke "back then" that Rich gave up looong ago. Blackwing and Mr. Scruffy have been "constantly" there since that joke was played, played again and then given up.

It's no class- or whatever-feature.

The Dark Fiddler
2012-08-19, 11:25 AM
Perhaps I can research that spell, though... :smalltongue:

Already exists. Surprisingly, it's called Dictum (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/dictum.htm).

silvadel
2012-08-19, 03:37 PM
I agree that Holy Word should not affect animals. In essence they just don't understand it -- it is the alignment version of having a no stat in the category vs a 0 stat in the category.

Psyren
2012-08-19, 09:01 PM
This is rather easy to handwave, if necessary. Even assuming MS was in Belkar's hidey-hole as well, Belkar was the only one peeking out (waiting for his chance to strike.) Depending on how large the space is up there, the spread may not have been able to extend far enough inside to hit his cat. This is supported by the fact that even after flinging open the trap-door to launch his attack on Nale, only he fell out as opposed to both of them - so Mr. Scruffy could not have been in Belkar's square.

And all of the above is assuming the cat was even up there with Belkar, as opposed to being, say, safely behind Roy and Haley (and off-camera.)

Prowl
2012-08-20, 05:45 AM
cats are good by definition

no, check that - cats are awesome by definition

Emperordaniel
2012-08-21, 07:39 AM
Already exists. Surprisingly, it's called Dictum (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/dictum.htm).

Dictum only harms non-Lawful; what I had in mind was something that harmed non-Lawful Good, if you reread my post. :smalltongue:

GSFB
2012-08-21, 09:01 PM
Easy way: "OK Belkar, get Mr Scruffy to the back of the passageway before we cast the spell."

Problem solved.

Hiro Protagonest
2012-08-21, 09:59 PM
If Mr. Scruffy was in range, wouldn't Belkar also be within range?

Tebryn
2012-08-21, 10:12 PM

He was in range. Hence why he's deaf.

The Dark Fiddler
2012-08-21, 10:12 PM

...Belkar WAS in range. He was deafened.

GSFB
2012-08-22, 12:22 AM
Imagine this as a line of people with space in between them:

linear guild - durkon - belkar - roy and haley - mr scruffy

it would be very easy for the order of the stick to line themselves up in such a way that mr scruffy is out of the range of the spell when durkon casts it. just as it would be easy to manipulate belkar into moving into the area of effect.

sometimes a cigar really is a cigar.

GSFB
2012-08-22, 12:23 AM
I am far more interested in what happened to Malack, Qarr, and V...