PDA

View Full Version : Gamepad

Eloel
2012-08-11, 04:30 AM
I've recently acquired a pc gamepad for titles like FIFA and NBA. Though that got me wondering, what other games are there that feel different (preferably better) when playing via gamepad on pc?

Triscuitable
2012-08-11, 03:24 PM
I'd say the combo and input heavy game Shank demands a controller for the best experience. Otherwise your hand will dart over the keyboard like a professional StarCraft player.

I'd also say racing games, or games that involve driving (like Burnout Paradise or Grand Theft Auto) require a controller for the purpose of driving. Tapping the "forward" key is not my idea of accelerating.

Gnoman
2012-08-11, 03:31 PM
If you get software such as Xpadder, or your controller has it built-in, you can assign key combos to the buttont and make shortcuts for any game.

Mando Knight
2012-08-11, 07:09 PM
I don't think I would play Sonic Generations without plugging in an X-Box controller.

Emmerask
2012-08-11, 09:57 PM
Motorcross madness :smallbiggrin:

Knaight
2012-08-11, 10:15 PM
I'd imagine that gamepads make things easier with emulators;

factotum
2012-08-12, 01:22 AM
Any game that's fundamentally a console port tends to work better with a gamepad. Just off the top of my head, Batman: Arkham Asylum and Just Cause 2 definitely fit into this category. I also played GTA4 with a gamepad simply because there's a lot of driving in it, and as Trisc pointed out, driving works a lot better with a gamepad; L.A. Noire, on the other hand, works best with a gamepad because the pad "rumbles" to let you know when you're near a piece of evidence, and the alternative audible cue you get for this is barely noticeable, making it much harder to find evidence using mouse and keyboard.

Games that work better with a mouse are, of course, first person shooters and strategy games--I wouldn't try playing those with a pad unless you're a masochist. :smallsmile:

Lhurgyof
2012-08-12, 01:22 AM
I'd imagine that gamepads make things easier with emulators;

Definitely. Banjo-Tooie was really difficult with the keyboard, so I started using an Xbox controller.

Triaxx
2012-08-12, 04:33 AM
Depends on the FPS. PC style tactical shooters, where speed and precision are important, definitely impossible with a pad.

Something more run and gun, like Call of Duty, or Fallout 3(played with or withouto VATS) are definitely possible.

Flight sims, if you don't have a dedicated joystick, will fly quite acceptably with a pad. Flight Sim X works quite well.

Skyrim is a unique case. It depends on how you're playing which is easiest. Fighters and mages can get along easily enough with a pad. Archers and stealthy ones in particular benefit quite a bit from the precision offered by a mouse. On the other hand, it's easier to vary between walking and running with the stick.

Eloel
2012-08-12, 05:05 AM
If you get software such as Xpadder, or your controller has it built-in, you can assign key combos to the buttont and make shortcuts for any game.

That doesn't make them any better with the gamepad though. I would love to play a FPS or RTS game vs someone with a gamepad. Easy kills.

Sonic Generations I've heard, will get that asap.

Triaxx
2012-08-12, 08:55 AM
I don't know. Starcraft translated pretty well to the N64. Especially with the ability to order construction of units from anywhere.

Not a match for mouse and keyboard, but a very useful feature.

Gnoman
2012-08-12, 10:08 AM
That doesn't make them any better with the gamepad though. I would love to play a FPS or RTS game vs someone with a gamepad. Easy kills.

Sonic Generations I've heard, will get that asap.

I wasn't meaning, in this case, using a gamepad as primary input. More as a side controller that you use for shortcut commands.