PDA

View Full Version : Knowledge devotion

molten_dragon
2012-08-11, 08:16 AM
I'm currently playing an archivist. I picked up knowledge devotion, because it's a good feat, and flavor-wise it fits the character too well not to.

The question I have about it is how does it interact with spells?

The text of the feat can be found here (http://dndtools.eu/feats/complete-champion--57/knowledge-devotion--1727/).

The relevant portion reads:

You then receive an insight bonus on attack rolls and damage rolls against that creature type for the remainder of the combat.

The way I read it, it looks like I get the bonus damage any time I make an attack roll or damage roll. Doesn't matter if it's with a weapon or a spell.

I'm curious what others think though.

Eldariel
2012-08-11, 08:18 AM
I'm currently playing an archivist. I picked up knowledge devotion, because it's a good feat, and flavor-wise it fits the character too well not to.

The question I have about it is how does it interact with spells?

The text of the feat can be found here (http://dndtools.eu/feats/complete-champion--57/knowledge-devotion--1727/).

The relevant portion reads:

The way I read it, it looks like I get the bonus damage any time I make an attack roll or damage roll. Doesn't matter if it's with a weapon or a spell.

I'm curious what others think though.

You're correct. Your attack rolls and damage rolls, regardless of what they're rolled for, get bonuses. This, significantly, allows you to e.g. add damage to the supernatural ToB maneuvers without attack rolls (which is otherwise very hard due to their lack of scaling and the lack of Metamaneuver-type system to enhance them).

GenghisDon
2012-08-11, 08:19 AM
spells that make attack rolls would benefit, from acid splash to polar ray.

No devotion feats for my games, but it's certainly powerful for some characters.

molten_dragon
2012-08-11, 08:40 AM
spells that make attack rolls would benefit, from acid splash to polar ray.

So you don't think spells without attack rolls would get the bonus damage?

Devmaar
2012-08-11, 11:51 AM
So you don't think spells without attack rolls would get the bonus damage?

I think it would just be 'weaponlike spells' as defined in (I think) Complete Arcane

GenghisDon
2012-08-11, 11:55 AM
That was my thoughts, also

It isn't that big a deal if it DID add to a fireball's damage, say, akin to a warmage edge, but no, I don't think it's intended to.

Gotterdammerung
2012-08-11, 02:59 PM
That was my thoughts, also

It isn't that big a deal if it DID add to a fireball's damage, say, akin to a warmage edge, but no, I don't think it's intended to.

By RAW it adds to all damage rolls. So fireball would get the damage boost against a creature type effected.

But you are right, it is pretty insignificant, like warmages edge.

molten_dragon
2012-08-11, 03:21 PM
But you are right, it is pretty insignificant, like warmages edge.

It gets decent on spells that let you attack more than once (produce flame, or scorching ray for example).

GenghisDon
2012-08-11, 07:46 PM
but those ARE "weapon like" spells already & all of us would let it add to those

elonin
2012-08-11, 08:05 PM
Knowledge devotion seems similar to precision damage which only gets added to the first attack of a multiple attack spell (like scorching ray). Seems RAI to me due to game balance.