PDA

View Full Version : An Aging Goliath

noparlpf
2012-08-11, 09:49 AM
It occurs to me that I have no idea how long goliaths live, when they become adults, and where their age categories start and end. I can't find it in Races of Stone. Does anybody know?

DementedFellow
2012-08-11, 10:36 AM
They all die mysteriously from sling-related accidents.

LanSlyde
2012-08-11, 10:41 AM
It occurs to me that I have no idea how long goliaths live, when they become adults, and where their age categories start and end. I can't find it in Races of Stone. Does anybody know?

I remember seeing somewhere they age like humans. But honestly this could just be my mind playing tricks on me.

Unless your build an old hermit for a campaign it shouldn't matter much anyway. Most goliath do not live long enough to die of old age anyway. You know, they kinda shun the old and the weak.

Hirax
2012-08-11, 11:12 AM
Unless it was printed when they added goliaths to 4e, in 3.5 they were never given an age table. However, I recall it saying somewhere in Races of Stone that they found it freaky that there are races that know their great-great-great-great grandparents, or something like that. I'd probably use humans and halflings as a guideline for goliaths.

noparlpf
2012-08-11, 11:21 AM
Unless it was printed when they added goliaths to 4e, in 3.5 they were never given an age table. However, I recall it saying somewhere in Races of Stone that they found it freaky that there are races that know their great-great-great-great grandparents, or something like that. I'd probably use humans and halflings as a guideline for goliaths.

Yeah, it only says they find elves creepy because they live so long. Alright, I'll houserule that they use the human table.

Edit: I think they forgot to put it in because Dwarves and Gnomes both appear in the PHB. But then they have the age and height/weight charts for the "Other Races of Stone" in the next chapter.

Edit2: Feral Gargun are related to goliaths, and their age categories are about the same as humans'. So let's go with that.

KillianHawkeye
2012-08-11, 11:28 AM
The closest thing would be to use the age table for Feral Garguns on page 86.

EDIT: Ninja'd by the OP!

noparlpf
2012-08-11, 12:02 PM
The closest thing would be to use the age table for Feral Garguns on page 86.

EDIT: Ninja'd by the OP!

:smalltongue:

LanSlyde
2012-08-11, 12:41 PM

That could have been it. I knew there was something mentioned that indicated that they do not live long.

DaTamarin
2014-02-06, 09:05 PM
{{Scrubbed}} Its a stand alone sentence at the bottom of Description and Homeland. It says that the goliaths life span is comparable to a humans, but i might bump it up a little bit, maybe average life span 120, for flavor reasons.

Palanan
2014-02-06, 09:15 PM
From Races of Stone, p. 74, introducing the example tribe of the Kathaals:

"The average age of the tribe members is twenty-four, and at the age of fifty-five, Akala is by far the oldest member."

He's earlier described as being of advanced age. Akala's stats are on pp. 76-77, so someone might be able to see if age penalties have been applied.