PDA

View Full Version : Barbarian Build help

Aramus Lex
2012-08-11, 11:29 AM
Hey guys,

This is my first post, so, forgive me if I have improper form. Been reading the OotS since 2006, however.

So, I've been playing in a 3.5 campaign with my DM for just over 4 years now. The story arc is nearing its completion and the group wants to do an evil campaign on the opposite of the war we are currently fighting.

I've been playing a Cleric/Radiant Servant of Pelor and the party's survival is my overwhelming concern. It's stressful especially with kill or die effects popping up in several encounters. So, I wanted to kick back and bash some skulls for the next campaign and decided to go with a Barbarian.

Here's what I have so far:

Human Barb (no stats as of yet, but I THINK I need the extra feat to make the progression work)

Barbarian 1: Feats: Pounce (from spirit lion totem), Power Attack, Extra Rage
--I could drop human and the extra rage feet for half-orc
Barbarian 2: Feats: Improved Trip (from wolf totem barbarian)
Barbarian 2/Fighter 1: Feats: Intimidating Rage, Cleave
Barbarian 2/Fighter 2: Feats: Improved Bull Rush
Barbarian 2/Fighter 3: empty level
Barbarian 2/Fighter 4: Feats: Leap Attack, Shock Trooper)
Barbarian 3/Fighter 4: empty level
Barbarian 4/Fighter 4: Feats: Rage 2/day base
Barbarian 5/Fighter 4: Feats: Track, Destructive Rage)
Barbarian 5/Fighter 4/Frenzied Berserker 1: Feats (Frenzy, Diehard)

That at least gets me to level 10 and from there I believe I have many options including just sticking with Frenzied Bersker.

Major Questions/Concerns:
1. Reconciling lion spirit totem with wolf totem barbarian in an RP sense:
--Yes, they replace different abilities but, its still kind of an odd array of names for the abilities. Here's my justification: the lion spirit totem is more akin to a personal spirit guide whereas the wolf totem is the guiding animal of the tribe from which the barbarian hales. Something like that.

2. Am I, perhaps, trying to do too many different things (leap attack and be a FB)

3. How can I restructure the feat progression to still hit Leap Attack and Shock Trooper right around level 6.

4. Should I sacrifice the extra rage for being a half-orc or will human work just fine (I don't want to be a complete idiot barb though)

5. Does anyone know how to actually do the math for the interactions between Power Attack/Leap Attack/Improved Power Attack/and Supreme Power Attack with both 2-H and 1-H weapons? (I've seen some tables, but I want to understand the math behind them)

Thank you so much for any help that you can offer!
Aramus

Urpriest
2012-08-11, 11:48 AM
Human should be fine. The extra 2 points of Str won't be missed, and I don't think there are any especially necessary half-orc sub levels in barbarian or fighter.

For wolf/lion totem, plenty of tribal societies send their children to foster with another nearby tribe. Perhaps you were born to the lion tribe, but sent to foster with the wolf tribe.

QuickLyRaiNbow
2012-08-11, 04:03 PM
Does your party have a plan to deal with the havoc your FB is going to cause?

Gwendol
2012-08-11, 04:19 PM
You could go Goliath instead, and take the knock-back feat which works very well with imp Bull Rush/shock trooper. Goliath barbarians may get Large when raging, which could give some tactical advantages (Mountain rage ability).

In any case you may want to switch out your regular fighter levels for dungeoncrasher; they will fit with the concept nicely.

QuickLyRaiNbow
2012-08-11, 04:20 PM
Additionally, zhentarim Fighter.

Aramus Lex
2012-08-11, 05:58 PM
In response to the havoc that the FB is going to cause...well, we'll have to come up with something. But I play with a pretty jovial bunch of guys and in our current campaign w/o a FB, we've had...situations. Much akin to what might happen with a FB. With the combination of being an evil campaign and good humor among friends, I'm actually looking forward to some crazy mishap. The DM has also played a FB and will help us come up with solutions to the worst of things.

Thanks for the other suggestions, I'll definately be looking into them more deeply!

Kelb_Panthera
2012-08-11, 10:16 PM
Another reason to consider half-orc is the channeled rage feat. You get to add your (prodigous) str bonus to your will save by burning a rage use. That should make ending your frenzy a snap, as long as you've got rage uses to burn. The feat is in RoD.