PDA

View Full Version : Creating a Monster 3.5/BESM

GC_Southpaw
2012-08-11, 03:49 PM
Okay. Hopefully you all can clear this up for me. I am PCing in a campaign using BESM (Big Eyes, Small Mouth). My GM has allowed us to use Monster classes from 3.5, since it's supposedly 3.5 compatible. We're starting with level 5 classless characters. Essentially, we get 10 character points/level to buy our stat boosts, feats, hit dice, skills etc. So here are my questions.

1. I wanted to make a gargoyle. They have four HD. Does this mean they are LEVEL 4, or LEVEL 1?

2. I understand with this setup the character is an ECL 9. (4HD, 1 Class Lvl, +5 level adjust) Does this mean that the character would be too unbalanced for the mostly human characters? This leads me to my next question.

3. How does Level Adjust effect XP exactly? I read the books, but I don't quite understand.

4. Because each character level is measured as 10 character points in BESM, how would this relate to HD and Level Adjust? I was thinking that every HD would subtract 10 character points. I thought I knew what to do in the beginning, but now I'm over thinking and confusing myself. Any help?

Although, now that I think about it, ignore the character point thing. Just think. "level 5 character"

GC_Southpaw
2012-08-11, 04:31 PM
I guess my main question is this. Am I level 1 despite having multiple hit dice from my monster race?

rweird
2012-08-11, 04:58 PM
A gargoyle with 0 class levels is ECL 9 (treat as a 9th level character for experience gain, and start with the amount a level 9 character would have). That means a gargoyle should be as powerful as a 9th level character (Though a well made 9th level character will outshine a gargoyle), though if your in a level 1 party, you'd be much more powerful (DR makes you practically immune to attacks, you have flight, and a better base attack, as well as much better ability scores in some stats). Read This (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=207928), see if it answers your questions. I don't know about BESM so this is a strictly 3.5 answer.

Urpriest
2012-08-11, 05:54 PM
You desperately need to read my Monster Handbook, link in sig.

GC_Southpaw
2012-08-11, 06:10 PM
That...answered everything! Thanks!