PDA

View Full Version : Bard PrC

God Imperror
2012-08-11, 09:28 PM
I was thinking...

Are there any bard prc that advances bardic music (at least uses), bardic knowledge and spellcasting?

gorfnab
2012-08-12, 12:07 AM
Virtuoso - Spellcasting and Music (uses)
Lyric Thaumaturge - Spellcasting and Music (uses)
Sublime Chord - Bardic Knowledge, Bardic Music (uses at 1/2)

Bard Handbook (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=8284)

SSGoW
2012-08-12, 12:23 AM
There is also this... Which can make for an interesting build (better choice of spells).

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/prestigiousCharacterClasses.htm

Socratov
2012-08-12, 04:28 AM
There is seeker of the song, bu it's not that good tbh

God Imperror
2012-08-12, 05:02 AM
Virtuoso - Spellcasting and Music (uses)
Lyric Thaumaturge - Spellcasting and Music (uses)
Sublime Chord - Bardic Knowledge, Bardic Music (uses at 1/2)

Bard Handbook (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=8284)

Thanks, I read over the handbook but there is no PrC section.

Of the three above only the sublime chord progresses bardic knowledge, bardic music and spellcasting (though it is not bard spellcasting exactly). Any other class? Maybe a obscure faerun specific class that advances the three? There aren't Harper bards are there? (Harper Agent doesn't give bardic music)

Lostbutseeking
2012-08-12, 06:48 AM

Of the three above only the sublime chord progresses bardic knowledge, bardic music and spellcasting (though it is not bard spellcasting exactly). Any other class? Maybe a obscure faerun specific class that advances the three? There aren't Harper bards are there? (Harper Agent doesn't give bardic music)

If you want all three then your only choices are the already mentioned Sublime Chord, the Fochlucan Lyrist(which is not the answer you are looking for) or the Troubador of Stars from BoED which loses five levels of spell casting in ten.

Gotterdammerung
2012-08-12, 04:49 PM
Most of the bard prestige classes will have spellcasting and bardic music progression.

It is the bardic knowledge that is rare. It usually gets dropped because it just isn't that good of an ability.

Quirp
2012-08-12, 04:56 PM
You could always use Legacy Champion or Uncanny Trickster.

Serafina
2012-08-12, 05:00 PM
Ask your GM if you can just keep advancing Bardic Knowledge. Maybe with a feat, though i'd just do it without that.
It's not like it's a very powerful ability. And you can fulfill any prerequisites without advancing it (since you already have it), so basically you just keep it relevant.

Kuulvheysoon
2012-08-12, 05:05 PM
If you want all three then your only choices are the already mentioned Sublime Chord, the Fochlucan Lyrist(which is not the answer you are looking for) or the Troubador of Stars from BoED which loses five levels of spell casting in ten.

Fochlucan Lyrist isn't that bad to get into (okay, yes it is: Your options are really Wizard 1/Rilkan Rogue 3/Druid 6 or Bard 2/Druid 8 with 2 feats).

The other option is actually just to go straight bard. If those three things are extremely important to you, and you don't want Sublime Chord, then that's the best suggestion that I have for you.

God Imperror
2012-08-12, 07:22 PM
:smallsmile: Thanks for the advice I might run it through my DM

On the other hand... Since I've been looking at fochluan lyrist... its prerequisites are pretty hard to meet... what where they thinking when they build that? Even being a green whisperer is really hard to meet the prerequisites.

Toliudar
2012-08-12, 07:25 PM
In some ways, the Fochlucan Lyrist seems to be an effort to re-introduce the first edition bard - a jack of all trades who bounces around among multiple classes in order to eventually come to bard.

Kuulvheysoon
2012-08-12, 08:39 PM

On the other hand... Since I've been looking at fochluan lyrist... its prerequisites are pretty hard to meet... what where they thinking when they build that? Even being a green whisperer is really hard to meet the prerequisites.

Easiest ways to get in are straight bard/druid with two feats for Shape Soulmeld (Impulse Boots) and Open Least Chakra (feet)(best accomplished with flaws, if possible) and Rilkan Rogue 3/Arcane dip/Druid.

Menteith
2012-08-12, 08:57 PM

It's possible to get into without dropping too many caster levels. Combat Medic 4 grants Evasion (and Divine Oracle debatably works as well), and while a level in Bard is basically the only way to pick up "Bardic Knowledge", there are several ways to gain "Lore" which functions identically to Bardic Knowledge for the most part (Cloistered Cleric and Loremaster, for example). It's still one of the most difficult classes to qualify for, though.

Togo
2012-08-13, 11:10 AM

Of the three above only the sublime chord progresses bardic knowledge, bardic music and spellcasting (though it is not bard spellcasting exactly). Any other class?

Actually, even that doesn't give you the bardic music progression. It gives you uses per day, and a different progression of abilities to spend them on.

As far as I know, there is no p-class that allows you to keep on getting bardic music progression (that is uses/day and new songs) as if you were still a bard.

If you want inspire greatness, you need to be a bard to get it.

Talya
2012-08-13, 04:19 PM
Sublime Chord the only PrC that does what you want, and is an excellent PrC, and a straight up upgrade for a bard.

That said, I really prefer my bards single-classed. (Albeit with alternate class features out the butt.) I really think single-classed bard can be a better "jack of all trades" than the much-vaunted Factotum. In the process, you'll also turn yourself and your melee party members into gods, and be a capable spellcaster too.

God Imperror
2012-08-13, 04:30 PM
I love straight bards (and by straight I mean full class bards) I am just trying other things.

imho star elves are the best race by far :smallsmile:

Talya
2012-08-13, 04:50 PM
I love straight bards (and by straight I mean full class bards) I am just trying other things.

imho star elves are the best race by far :smallsmile:

I'm not so fond of any race with a constitution penalty, especially as my bards tend to be a little bit MAD. I'd rather use Lesser Aasimar with the "Magic-Blooded" template. (+4 charisma, no penalties, no level adjustment.)

Lostbutseeking
2012-08-13, 05:37 PM
Actually, even that doesn't give you the bardic music progression. It gives you uses per day, and a different progression of abilities to spend them on.

As far as I know, there is no p-class that allows you to keep on getting bardic music progression (that is uses/day and new songs) as if you were still a bard.

If you want inspire greatness, you need to be a bard to get it.

Both Fochlucan lyrist and Troubador of Stars continue bardic music progression as per normal bard, as does Spellsinger from Races of Faerun. Additionally Warrior skald, also from RoF, grants Inspire Greatness (and all other bardic music effects) at level 1.

God Imperror
2012-08-13, 05:46 PM
I'm not so fond of any race with a constitution penalty, especially as my bards tend to be a little bit MAD. I'd rather use Lesser Aasimar with the "Magic-Blooded" template. (+4 charisma, no penalties, no level adjustment.)

But star elf can take otherwordly to be outsiders (lesser aasimar can too), they can take artist (+3 bardic music uses, +2 to perform, +2 to craft artistic stuff) and elven dilettante (+1 to skill checks, allows untrained skill checks without ranks) that are great feats for a bardic knack bard.

Spellsinger is nice, but its class features aren't really awesome other than the bonus to perform and dcs.