PDA

View Full Version : [PF] A quest for a mercane..?

Dread Angel
2012-08-12, 04:08 AM
Hi all.

I'm working on my campaign, which is a homebrew set in Golarion. My group is bigger than I expected - i wrote it for four players, got six - so I've needed to tweak certain aspects of the campaign.

One of the main things the group has to do is to gather various magic items which have a tiny fraction of Aroden's divine power within them. The idea was that four party members...and seven items scattered across Golarion....they would only have time to get four of the items, so one each, before they had to foil the BBEG's plan to rise to godhood.

But due to campaign-centric fluff, each PC needs to have one of these items to be able to break the uber-aura the BBEG has and thus be able to actually hurt the bugger.

The result of this is that I'm scrambling to create new items and challenges to get them, because I want the PCs to have to pick and choose which relics they get to acquire. They will know that they have only a certain amount of time, and they are told the lore behind the items in broad terms, so they have enough to go on - that the archer wants the magic bow or the arrow that automatically restrings itself, etc.

My latest addition is a pair of tweaked Repelling Gauntlets, come in to the possession of a Mercane named Zjak Llyn (yes, he IS a cameo of my best friend). Unlike most mercanes, he's a sleazy bugger and chiefly deals in souls.

He has a stall in the markets in Numeria, where he openly peddles his wares. He wants magic items in excess of 5x these gauntlets' actual worth in trade for them (totally not like a mercane, he's messed in the head), but the PCs won't be able to afford this at that point without seriously crippling themselves. He will take pity on them if they explain that they're out to stop this dude turning the world into his own version of Hell...since Zjak makes damn good deals here, he doesn't want it all gone.

But he still wants to make a tidy profit on this deal.

So what I need is, what could he have the PCs do for him? Steal something? Sabotage another soul-merchant? Zjak is sleazy and happy to rip someone off for all they've got, but he's not downright evil. Just unscrupulous.

Any ideas? The party isn't evil themselves...mostly. They ARE really freaking chaotic though, most of them lean more towards CN-with-a-dash-of-evil or total chaos in the form of drug addictions (my girlfriend playing this character of course).....and ONE LG Cleric! It's a volatile party.

CthulhuEatYou
2012-08-12, 04:28 AM
What about a lesser devil intruding on his territory, trying to get souls for his master. Since a devil is Lawful Evil (as far as I remember, or was that demons? xD), it would be philosophically opposed too all your characters more or less. Plus, if the game ever stalls, you can sends its master against them or add him as a quest hook.

Dread Angel
2012-08-12, 05:08 AM
Eh, the problem with that is that his "territory" is pretty much just the Nightstalls. I.e. the MASSIVE "bazaar of the bizarre" in Numeria, where there literally are devils standing in booths making contracts with people, succubi selling various censor-worthy services in exchange for souls, etc.

Zjak kind of relies on his used-car-salesman patter.

"I've got new souls, old souls, used souls, elf souls, all at an AMAZING price! They're hot hot hot and I NEED to sell them! Just bring your spare magic items and walk away with an incredible deal on your very own trapped SOUL!"

Et cetera.

CthulhuEatYou
2012-08-12, 06:14 AM
Yeah, that's problematic. Was going to suggest that the devil would steal souls from him, but that's probably not going to happens since Devils are lawful and I'm pretty sure that the "Devil codex" would be against that, since devils are soul traders.

Hmh...