PDA

View Full Version : homebrew request for BESM d20

inuyasha
2012-08-12, 02:08 PM
Does anyone know of any good homebrew for BESM d20 thats based on an actual setting. specifically inuyasha, fullmetal alchemist, and appleseed. And if you cant find it can you make it?

Kyuu Himura
2012-08-12, 09:53 PM
Before going into setting-specific homebrew for BESM d20, I would patch all those holes and innecessary complications with the core book.

A few things I have noticed in my time using it:
- Most Full BAB classes have too few free points to represent popular characters that should have levels in them in 20 levels (unless it's a fairly mundane series, you can maybe build Mushashi from Vagabond with a Samurai, but not Kenshin Himura or Sanada Yukimura).
- The classes in the book are NOT supposed to be all in the same setting (Martial Artist, Samurai and Gun Bunny can be put in the same place, but Mecha Pilot should only be in a setting where everyone is a mecha pilot).
- Most classes just have whatever atributes seem right, other than that, they have a terrible design.
- If you actually have a "party role" for a freaking student, let me know.

inuyasha
2012-08-13, 09:21 AM
Before going into setting-specific homebrew for BESM d20, I would patch all those holes and innecessary complications with the core book.

A few things I have noticed in my time using it:
- Most Full BAB classes have too few free points to represent popular characters that should have levels in them in 20 levels (unless it's a fairly mundane series, you can maybe build Mushashi from Vagabond with a Samurai, but not Kenshin Himura or Sanada Yukimura).
- The classes in the book are NOT supposed to be all in the same setting (Martial Artist, Samurai and Gun Bunny can be put in the same place, but Mecha Pilot should only be in a setting where everyone is a mecha pilot).
- Most classes just have whatever atributes seem right, other than that, they have a terrible design.
- If you actually have a "party role" for a freaking student, let me know.

I do not understand you
-fighter types dont care if they have a 4 charisma and some defects
-any class can be in any setting the DM wants (hes god in his realm)
-I dont agree
-same thing as a bard, the party arrow sponge

and i must say i do not see how that has answered my question in any way shape or form

Empedocles
2012-08-13, 01:58 PM
and i must say i do not see how that has answered my question in any way shape or form

It doesn't. He's just saying it's hard to homebrew for a very, very defunct system :/ That being said, you could probably recreate a lot of things from those settings within the core rules.

Kyuu Himura
2012-08-13, 07:13 PM
It doesn't. He's just saying it's hard to homebrew for a very, very defunct system :/ That being said, you could probably recreate a lot of things from those settings within the core rules.

This much is true.

I do not understand you

OK, I should have explained with more clarity:

-fighter types dont care if they have a 4 charisma and some defects

Unless they want to be leaders.
You will notice that many "fighting guys" in anime can be quite stupid when they have free time, but quite smart when they get serious, and most of them are really charismatic (Sengoku Basara, for instance, is full of very capable, powerful, and charismatic warriors). Such characters are almost impossible to pull on BESM d20 without some heavy reviewing of the game.

The game forces you to stack crippling weaknesses on top of the weaknesses most classes already have (and those range from acceptable to ridiculously crippling).

There is, I admit, one way to get enough points to pull off those sweet sweet special attacks form anime/manga: The Magic Atribute. The one that gives you 10 points per rank you buy of it, but forces you to spend energy points to use it. I am a GM for a Manga campaign and that is the favourite attribute of every melee NPC I end up building, it lets my brutes get superstrenght, it lets my ninjas get invisibility and other backstabby stuff, etc. If they have low mental scores, they don't have enough energy points and that means they can't use their nice things.

And some people don't wanna play a guy who is forced to be a complete retard just because he is a Martial Artist or Gun Bunny.

tl;dr: Crippling weaknesses can be unapealing to some folks and the way the game works punishes you for having samurai taking levels of Samurai.

-any class can be in any setting the DM wants (hes god in his realm)

Yes he can. But in that case he should tone down some classes or bring the others up a notch. The Mech Pilot in my group was a killing machine that curbstomped everything, which is not a bad thing in and on itself, but it was bad that anything that could challenge him was able to kill everyone else without breaking a sweat.

I know what you're thinking: maybe it was my players and not the game, well I did the math and... it was the game.

-I dont agree

- Ninjas can hit you with a sword, but not block with one (don't have melee defense as class skill). Also, they are skill monkeys with only 4+int skill points per level
- Mechas gain increased unarmed damage, their pilots barely know how to make a fist (no unarmed combat as class skill).
- Shapeshifters are just weird, they have to little skill points to be infiltrators but they have no combat skills to be warriors.
- Pet Monsters Trainers are supposed to fight with their pets. Said pets don't have any combat skills as class skills.
- Samurai and Gun Bunnys are said to be incredibly badass weapon masters, to prove it they get a +2 to damage.

Now, I admit I made a mistake, the design is a bit weird and clumsy at some points, but it's not terrible as I said at first, most classes do have things they can cling to and call "their shtick". Still, it's hard to pull an Inuyasha build that's playable through 20 levels if you go with fighting classes.

-same thing as a bard, the party arrow sponge

A flunky atribute (2 points per rank) can absorb arrows, but it's not a class, it's a class feature. When I look at what the student gets, it looks like a bunch of random things, there's no pattern to it like the other classes, and if it's supposed to be a Jack of all Trades... why do I want adventurers then?? See where I'm going?

And my apology comes in the form of a homebrew race:

This is supposed to be a buffyverse/Yu Yu Hakusho style "demon", but maybe you can adapt it for a Hanyou or humanoid Youkai.

Demon:

Demons are a varied lot, but they usually come in 3 flavors: physical, mental and balanced.

Physical Demon:
Type: Monstrous Humanoid.

Ability Score Changes: +4 to one physical ability, +2 to another (different, non-stackable) physical ability, -2 to one mental ability [2 points]

Atributes: Natural Weapons 1 rank [1 point]. Armor 0.5 ranks (reduces 2 points from damage taken) [2 points]. Enhanced Senses 1 rank: Darkvision [1 point].

Bonus Feats: One from the fighter list at level 1 [2 points]

Sacred Weakness: Despite being Monstrous Humanoids, anything that would weaken or hurt an Outsider [Evil] has the same effect on a Demon [-2 points]

Skills: Unarmed Combat is always a class skill for physical demons. [2 points]

Calculated Value: 9 points.
Total Value: 3 points
LA: +0.

Mental and Balanced coming later when I can find them.

inuyasha
2012-08-14, 11:35 AM
after reading what you have just said I totally understand you, so thank you for the better explanation and for the homebrew race (I LOVE IT).