PDA

View Full Version : E6 Campaign idea

Ramshack
2012-08-12, 05:41 PM
A few of my buddies and I just started watching a new Anime called Sword Art Online (http://anilinkz.com/sword-art-online-episode-1).

To summarize the major plot point a new MMO is released using Virtual Reality. On the launch day 10,000 players log in and soon discover their is no way to log out of the game. Eventually all the players are teleported to town square where the avatar of the game creator tells them that their is no log out function and that the players cannot log out of the game unless they clear all 100 levels of the game. Any attempt to remove the virtual reality gear externally will fry their brains and kill them. If they run out of HP in the game they will also die in Real Life.

Using this premise I'm DMing a new E6 Campaign (http://www.enworld.org/forum/general-rpg-discussion/206323-e6-game-inside-d-d.html), primarily hack n slash. (100 levels of dungeon crawls and monster boss fights + side quests for gear and perks) In the anime players do not have access to magic. So there is no magic allowed either. Though potions are available. (cure spells, buff spells, utility spells etc) for purchase in towns. Magical Items will be available through loot and quest completions. Players will also have a stone of Dimenson Door that will teleport them to a safe town when needed.

Many mundane items will not be needed either. Though their are a few fun ideas like a bed roll will let you "rest" outside of an inn and eat atleast once a day to avoid getting a fatigued status. I thought smoke sticks might be able to be used as a way to clear agro etc.

What do you guys think of the idea? Can you guys suggest any pre made adventures that could represent a game level fit for E6? Any more potion ideas or item ideas?

Thanks guys!

Potion List So far:

Maximized Cure Light Wounds - 13 HP
Maximized Cure Moderate Wounds - 26 HP
Maximized Cure Serious Wounds - 39 HP
Bears Endurance +4 Con / 10 rounds
Bull Strength - +4 Str / 10 rounds P
Cat's Grace - +4 Dex / 10 rounds P
Eagle's Splendor +4 Cha / 10 rounds
Fox's Cunning - +4 Int / 10 rounds
Owl's Widsom +4 Wis / 10 rounds
Resist Energy (FIRE) - DR 10 Fire 10/ Rounds
Resist Energy (COLD) - DR 10 Cold 10/ Rounds
Resist Energy (ACID) - DR 10 Acid 10/ Rounds
Resist Energy (Electricity) - DR 10 Electricity 10/ Rounds
Resist Energy (Sonic) - DR 10 Sonic 10/ Rounds
Shield - +4 AC Bonus - 10 / Rounds
True Strike - +20 on next attack
Dark Vision - See in darkness - 10/ Minutes
See Invisibility - See Invisible Creatures 10 / Minutes
Water Breathing - Breath Underwater 10 / Minutes-
Cleanse - Remove Disease, Curse, Poison, Magic -

Fouredged Sword
2012-08-12, 05:56 PM
Potion of Mage armor, +4 armor bonus to AC for 1 hour
Potion of Shield, +4 deflection bonus to AC for 1 min
Potion of restoration, cures various status and heals ability damage and drain

Fable Wright
2012-08-12, 06:16 PM
Some thoughts on the idea:

How nonmagical do you mean? Are things like Binders allowed? Are 1st level low-key spells, such as some of those from the Ranger spell list, allowed? Is Lay on Hands available? Is Tome of Battle available? Depending on the answers to these, the game could progress very differently. If it's strictly no-magic, Ranger is almost certainly one of, if not the, best class. Archery is good in a no-magic campaign, especially if healing is going to be unavailable and flying enemies exist in the game. Maybe with a Whirling Frenzy Barbarian dip for ensuring that you will be faster than most enemies and possibly more damage on a compound bow. If Crusaders are allowed, I could see Paladin/Crusader builds being really strong, as they have incredible resilience at low levels and all the healing available. Swordsages, if allowed, have access to ranged high-impact abilities, and are probably going to be really powerful if allowed. I could also see Rogues taking the Martial Strike feat for the boost that makes you Greater Invisible for a round, ensuring Sneak Attack (which is really good if you can ensure it at range) and being high damage characters in general.

Kuulvheysoon
2012-08-12, 06:31 PM
Potion of Mage armor, +4 armor bonus to AC for 1 hour
Potion of Shield, +4 deflection bonus to AC for 1 min
Potion of restoration, cures various status and heals ability damage and drain

Shield provides a shield bonus to AC, not a deflection bonus. Magic Vestment, on the other hand, provides a deflection bonus.

Potion of Scales of the Lizard, +2 bonus to natural armor for 1 minute.

Ramshack
2012-08-12, 06:39 PM
I've never included Tome of Battle in my campaigns and my players have never asked to utilize it before so I haven't had to decide on that. Class abilities are usually okay such as lay on hands or rage, but spells are strictly out. They can be replaced with bonus feats or other class abilities.

Alefiend
2012-08-12, 09:58 PM
I'm not familiar with the anime you mention (and have no time to watch it at the moment), but I question your restriction on spellcasting. One of the most important benefits of an E6 game is that magic doesn't reach a point where mundane characters are useless. If there are no spells, there's less reason to play E6—you could go straight 3.5 and just bar players from taking caster classes.

If the inability to use magic in spell form is intrinsic to the anime setting, and you're dead set on reproducing that environment instead of merely using it as inspiration, you may as well find another game system.

Tvtyrant
2012-08-12, 10:26 PM
I'm not familiar with the anime you mention (and have no time to watch it at the moment), but I question your restriction on spellcasting. One of the most important benefits of an E6 game is that magic doesn't reach a point where mundane characters are useless. If there are no spells, there's less reason to play E6—you could go straight 3.5 and just bar players from taking caster classes.

If the inability to use magic in spell form is intrinsic to the anime setting, and you're dead set on reproducing that environment instead of merely using it as inspiration, you may as well find another game system.

I disagree. As you go higher in level not only is your magic stronger than your mundanes, but your enemies magic is better than your mundanes. A Beholder can easily be TPK in a can for a mundane party, and there are tons of fullcasting monsters out there. At low levels it is easier for a mundane party to survive, as magic has not yet left mundanes completely behind.

Ramshack
2012-08-13, 09:29 AM
Low level martial classes are still fun. It keeps all manner of classic creatures still relevant and the higher CR monsters have many spells and abilities that require magic to overcome.

And while i am appreciative of all the comments ive received thus far I was hoping for some more input on pre made adventures that might work well for this campaign. Anyone have any ideas?