PDA

View Full Version : Would you allow this?

Annos
2012-08-12, 10:17 PM
would you allow a player to use a fullround action to make a check to tumble out of the way of an attack by a designated foe. AKA select an opponent, when they attack instead of using AC you use a tumble check to tumble 5 feet the DC for the check would be a normal tumble check or the attack rolled by the opponent for the attack. EG the party rogue rolls a 19 and adds a +7 to make a total of 26, and his opponent got a total of 25, so he succsesfully tumbles out of the way of the attack and moves as if he shifted 5 feat for that apponent while any ajasent opponents would do attacks of opertunitys as normal... if this wouldn't be usable or you have a suggestion please tell. (sorry for spelling errors if any)

The Glyphstone
2012-08-12, 10:19 PM
Considering it's worse than 'Readied Action: Move away when an opponent gets in melee range of me' - same effect, gets you 20+ feet more movement, no chance of failure - sure.

GnomeGninjas
2012-08-12, 10:33 PM
No I wouldn't. It seems pointless and kind of confusing.

Gavinfoxx
2012-08-12, 10:38 PM
Readied action: Tumble out of melee when a foe places me under melee threat.

Readied action: Withdraw action when a foe places me under melee threat.

AlchemicalMyst
2012-08-12, 10:52 PM
Readied action: Tumble out of melee when a foe places me under melee threat.

^This^

If the player just wants to fluff it as them tumbling and dodging that's what dodge bonuses and full defenses are for.

KillianHawkeye
2012-08-12, 10:54 PM

Withdrawing is a full-round action, so it cannot be done as a readied action.

Readying a move action to tumble is perfectly fine, though, and more effective than what the OP asked about since it also protects you from the AoOs of other nearby creatures.

kitcik
2012-08-13, 11:35 AM
I think all of the responders missed the fact that nothing in the OP says that the two parties are NOT already in melee. In other words, the guys is standing right next to you, weapon drawn, about to beatstick you, and you are readying an action to tumble away. Since he has now already used his attack action, he cannot simply follow you and attack as he could have if you tumbled during your turn.

So you are now unhittable with a decent Tumble modifier.

Not so bad considering it is a full round action being proposed, so the player at first glance is an unhittable but useless character. However, if he has effective swift or free actions, this could be bad.

I would not allow it.

CreganTur
2012-08-13, 11:47 AM
In PF you can use acrobatics to approach an opponent without taking AOO and the DC is against their CMD- what your player has suggested isn't far off as far as the DC goes. Putting it up against the attack bonus seems to line up.

I'd allow it because they're sacrificing their full action to do it. Sure, they may be able to get a swift or free action off, but I'm okay with that. If they don't, then they have avoided damage and set themselves up for the target to 5-foot back and then charge them.

The Random NPC
2012-08-13, 11:50 AM
I think all of the responders missed the fact that nothing in the OP says that the two parties are NOT already in melee. In other words, the guys is standing right next to you, weapon drawn, about to beatstick you, and you are readying an action to tumble away. Since he has now already used his attack action, he cannot simply follow you and attack as he could have if you tumbled during your turn.

Not so bad considering it is a full round action being proposed, so the player at first glance is an unhittable but useless character. However, if he has effective swift or free actions, this could be bad.

I would not allow it.

I think you missed the fact that nothing the responders said would change if they were in melee. Case one, not in melee, ready action to tumble away. Case two, in melee, ready action to tumble away. Since a full round action can only be done on your turn, I'm not sure how this rule would help defense more than if you readied an action.

Novawurmson
2012-08-13, 11:51 AM
I'd allow it. Also consider feats (http://dndtools.eu/feats/complete-warrior--61/elusive-target--841/).

ahenobarbi
2012-08-13, 12:03 PM

I would not allow it.

In addition to what The Random NPC wrote I'd like to add that if the character has effective or swift actions then the character probably can use full-round actions to be active and free-or-swift-actions to become "unhittable".

And that the unhittability method works only against one opponent. With no swift-or-free-action movement.

The Glyphstone
2012-08-13, 12:19 PM
In addition to what The Random NPC wrote I'd like to add that if the character has effective or swift actions then the character probably can use full-round actions to be active and free-or-swift-actions to become "unhittable".

And that the unhittability method works only against one opponent. With no swift-or-free-action movement.

Plus, it's only effective against melee attackers anyways - someone with a ranged weapon can shoot the character to their heart's content.

Annos
2012-08-13, 01:24 PM
I was just thinking that in some games you can tumble out of the way of an incoming attack, and tried to put rules that seemed logical.

Downysole
2012-08-13, 01:46 PM
This has come up frequently in other topics lately with regard to when you can use immediate actions. For instance, can I use an immediate teleport to move out of the way of an arrow once it's been fired (a la Vash the Stampede), or can I move out of the way of a melee attack once the dice have been rolled?

It's very important with the Anklets of Translocation and the Celerity series. The readied action: tumble approach is very similar and can be easily as effective since the only resources it uses are your full round actions.

Just remember, there are already perfectly good uses of the Tumble skill laid out in the player's handbook for this precise situation. Namely, a DC15 Tumble check will let you move through an empty square without incurring attacks of opportunity as part of a normal move action. Therefore, if you readied a move action based on someone starting to swing at you and performed a DC 15 Tumble check to back up 5 feet (to a max of half your move), then he wouldn't get AoO on you. Bump it up by 2 for every other opponent AoOing you and you don't get hit by any of them.

This is very similar to what you'd proposed in the OP, but entirely written out in the rules.

If you decide to go with your original concept, be sure to add the suggested DC increases for rough terrain.

The Glyphstone
2012-08-13, 02:04 PM
I was just thinking that in some games you can tumble out of the way of an incoming attack, and tried to put rules that seemed logical.

It's mainly that you've ended up creating a more complicated version of something that already exists in the existing rules - the RAW already allows the 'wait, then jump out of the way when someone tries to stab you' you've written for just fine. Remember that D&D is heavily abstracted; things like 'duck and tumble out of the way of a sword' are already folded into your Armor Class - if they hit, it's assumed you tried to get out of the way and failed, you're not envisoned to just stand like a log while they flail away two feet to your left.

Annos
2012-08-13, 03:43 PM
Sorry, I didn't realize that this was soething already implemented in the game