PDA

View Full Version : How balanced is this monster class?

Thump
2012-08-12, 11:44 PM
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=8936547&postcount=968

The Fire Giant monster class from the community MC thread, done awhile back. I've been looking at it, and thinking about presenting this to my DM to ask if it could be allowed in the campaign if it didn't break the party due to balance issues. The thing that iffs me is that playing a level 6 character means +6 STR and CON with other goodies for the drawback of only "meh" BAB and only a good FORT save coupled with bad skill points.

Thoughts?

Tvtyrant
2012-08-12, 11:50 PM
I only glanced over it, but I doubt that a big guy that punches things is going to be too bad. The most potent use of this appears to be to go into Warhulk and get +30 strength, which means you can up to about +60 with items. That is quite strong, but you could do the same as a Druid who shifts into a Dire Polarbear and has a few strength items.

Big Fau
2012-08-13, 12:26 AM
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=9569988&postcount=533

The Fire Giant monster class from the community MC thread, done awhile back. I've been looking at it, and thinking about presenting this to my DM to ask if it could be allowed in the campaign if it didn't break the party due to balance issues. The thing that iffs me is that playing a level 6 character means +6 STR and CON with other goodies for the drawback of only "meh" BAB and only a good FORT save coupled with bad skill points.

Thoughts?

The +6 Str and Con amounts to a +3 bonus on melee attack rolls, a +3 (or +4) bonus on melee damage rolls, a +3 bonus on Fort saves, and a couple of HP.

Really, it's like taking 6 levels in Fighter. Except replace the bonus feats with Large size benefits and the Fire subtype.

Thump
2012-08-13, 12:45 AM
O.O, I linked a fire giant...

EDIT: Accidentally linked cloud giant, though I haven;t seen that before... glitchy forum being glitchy.

That_guy_there
2012-08-13, 12:48 AM
O.O, I linked a fire giant...

EDIT: Accidentally linked cloud giant, though I haven;t seen that before... glitchy forum being glitchy.

Yup... its fine now... and i'm far too lazy to edit my earlier post so its getting deleted...

Thump
2012-08-13, 02:06 AM
The stomp ability looks slightly OPed at the level it's at, because that would mean, with a fighter-built character with 26 STR (18 base, 6 racial, 2 from an item) would be, in 3.5, getting +12, while if converted to Pathfinder, would be BAB(4) plus STR (8) plus size (1) at a +13 versus, say, a Mummy. In 3.5, you will have a Mummy with a +7, because Medium and 24 STR, versus the Fire Giant, with 8 from STR and 4 from size. That means he would be winning , on an average roll, with a 75% chance to pass. Even in Pathfinder, with it's CMD 23, you still have a 50-50 chance of passing.

Passing means doing slam damage + 1d6 CON damage. While mummies are indeed immune, they are one of the only monsters that has a decent CMD at a CR where medium-sized enemies are stomp-able.

Also, when enemies are prone, you auto-pass the check by the way it's written and deal DOUBLE that, so double slam damage + 2d6 CON.

At level 6, casters will be going "Dafuq?" as the guy they were about to fireball is suddenly paste under the boots of their friendly neighborhood fire giant.