PDA

View Full Version : would this work

13xvainwarx13
2012-08-13, 12:39 AM
So my DM decided we are going to do an epic campaign where he actually wants us to min/max and anything goes no restrictions on what we play. starting level is 25. I like playing monsters and unique classes. I was thinking Astral stalker(ecl18) mortal hunter(7). Will this work in epic or is there something better?

ps: I've never played a high level campaign before:smallbiggrin:

Morithias
2012-08-13, 12:51 AM
So my DM decided we are going to do an epic campaign where he actually wants us to min/max and anything goes no restrictions on what we play. starting level is 25. I like playing monsters and unique classes. I was thinking Astral stalker(ecl18) mortal hunter(7). Will this work in epic or is there something better?

ps: I've never played a high level campaign before:smallbiggrin:

I haven't played in many epic campaigns, but from what I can tell you're basically going to get "Go Full caster" over and over, because Epic Spellcasting is broken.

No I'm not joking, you can easily make a spell capable of genociding the abyss as soon as you hit level 21.

13xvainwarx13
2012-08-13, 12:56 AM
so basically what your saying is that as much fun as it would be to go crazy simple is better for epic?:smallfrown:

killianh
2012-08-13, 12:59 AM
It can work with the right feat selection, equips, etc. But if it really is anything goes then you can almost pull off some of the theoretical builds without them being too weak.

I like playing monsters too, but I find an Ecl that high is usually weaker than straight classes. What role are you looking for in the party? I'm going to assume a ranger type role for the time being.

Using something with a lower ecl or using some templates to build the character up instead will probably yield better results than going with astral stalker, even with LA buy off

Hell at epic levels you can afford to take the paragon template or go with a mind flayer with assassin, mortal hunter, and soul drinker levels. The best advice I would probably be able to give is to look at some 20 level builds, and then try to start off with no more than an Ecl of 5 before trying the build out. A bunch of builds are available under the difference class handbooks available in my Sig

That_guy_there
2012-08-13, 01:12 AM
Casters aren't the only things that are fun at epic levels. If you want a non-caster go for a non caster. play whay works for you (and you could be able to make this work but it feels hard)... that being said...

That 18 ecl is murder. You're giving up lots of levels in classes for a "good" not "great" racial profile. I'm not saying it doesn't work. I am saying it gives up a lot of "build" for a "unique" race.

I'd suggest something with a smaller ECL, perhaps a Half Fiend on top of something interesting (like a Flind [MMIII]) for +9 LA and 2 Racial HD for a total ECL of 11.

I personally would just add half fiend to Half Giant (XPH) or Gloaith (RoS) for a +5 LA and the Powerful build trait.
Then you can slap 13 levels of rogue or ranger on it, and keep your 7 levels of Mortal Hunter. (or better yet take 10 levels of ranger and 10 levels of Soul Eater.)

13xvainwarx13
2012-08-13, 01:13 AM
as long as I'm not purely physical I'm happy. I like to know i can kill the other players if necessary but don't like being in charge. summoning is the only way i'll go full caster tho. I like binder, summoner, druid, and any thing twisted and/or evil.

13xvainwarx13
2012-08-13, 01:15 AM
hopefully that post helped:smallsmile:

13xvainwarx13
2012-08-13, 01:18 AM
mind flayer was one of the races i looked at but i heard they're squishy and die easly

That_guy_there
2012-08-13, 01:23 AM
mind flayer was one of the races i looked at but i heard they're squishy and die easly

If psionics are on the table the psionic on is a little better... Its powers stack with psionic classes, IIRC.

killianh
2012-08-13, 01:26 AM

they die easily if you try to play them like a PC and not like a monster. They're squishier than melee brutes, but they have their psionics and can extract brains if you get the strength score up with some gear. They stack best with casters, psions, and stealth types (all three of which are known for being the squishier builds)

13xvainwarx13
2012-08-13, 01:28 AM
If psionics are on the table the psionic on is a little better... Its powers stack with psionic classes, IIRC.

should i go Ulitharid(LOM) or normal mind flayer. also psionics are allowed.

13xvainwarx13
2012-08-13, 01:36 AM
So ulitharid thrall herd? also I know my party includes a CN:kineticist/Uncarnate, a CE:Wizard with leadership, and a NG:adventuring scholar(he got special permission) with leadership, if that helps explian my goal of not wanting to be inferior since we are allowed to kill eachother.

ps: i'm ok with mind controlling

That_guy_there
2012-08-13, 01:46 AM
should i go Ulitharid(LOM) or normal mind flayer. also psionics are allowed.

If you're cool with the 21 ECL of the Ulitharid, go with the psionic version of that (the side bar in the LOM). It gives you a 13th level manifester level, so it jumps to a 16th level manifester with 4 levels of Thrallherd.

Edit: My personal feeling is that the Thrallherd ability is a better version of Leadership, so i approve this build, even if its a huge ECL

(Personal Preference: I don't like huge ECLs so i'd go with a psionic Mindflayer instead smaller ECL, but the Ulithard looks like an interesting choice)

13xvainwarx13
2012-08-13, 01:50 AM
If you're cool with the 21 ECL of the Ulitharid, go with the psionic version of that (the side bar in the LOM). It gives you a 13th level manifester level, so it jumps to a 16th level manifester with 4 levels of Thrallherd.

Edit: My personal feeling is that the Thrallherd ability is a better version of Leadership, so i approve this build, even if its a huge ECL

(Personal Preference: I don't like huge ECLs so i'd go with a psionic Mindflayer instead smaller ECL, but the Ulithard looks like an interesting choice)

ok cool I guess I'll do that Thanks guys:smallbiggrin:

Kelb_Panthera
2012-08-13, 03:43 AM
as long as I'm not purely physical I'm happy. I like to know i can kill the other players if necessary but don't like being in charge. summoning is the only way i'll go full caster tho. I like binder, summoner, druid, and any thing twisted and/or evil.

hopefully that post helped:smallsmile:

You'll find a button at the bottom of each of your posts labeled "edit."

You should use it if you think of something to add after you submit a post, but before someone else responds.

I bring this up, because it's against the forum rules (for which there is a link at the top of the page) to multi-post.

on-topic: there's no reason you can't go with a physical class at epic levels, just be aware that challenges get a bit binary at epic. Your good save is going to be fine, but your poor save is going to end up completely in the tank. Immunities are your friend. Also, if your DM (ab)uses epic spell-casting, you're life will be extraordinarily difficult, unless you've got a caster in the party.

Good luck, and welcome to the playground.