PDA

View Full Version : Portable vendor idea

Kitbix
2012-08-13, 01:49 AM
So i have an extremely difficult Dm that is fighting my choices and actions at every turn. The only way to get anything done it to take it out of his hands and get ideas into hard rules. One problem Im having is selling things at venders. So even though my groups working on dropping the Dm Its become my personal project to find a way to have a kind of "personal vendor". a way to put items in, get gold out and vice versa. Or maybe some way to take anything and turn it into anything. Im not sure if its possible but I would like to find a by the rules way to accomplish this. access to all the 3.0/3.5 edition rules with exception to Libras mortus, book of vile darkness, epic hand, and deities and demigods. Does anyone have any ideas?

That_guy_there
2012-08-13, 02:00 AM
Unfortunately buying and selling stuff always falls into the DMs hands. It sucks, but I've never been able to find away around that. I've had DMs make us sell loot for 1/4 of what its worth and outright ban things for no reason (Belts of healing have been tossed in a handful of games because of the "double the market price to make it slotless" rule Could Have been abused [but wasn't]), so i feel you.

I can't really help out a by the rules way to avoid that :smallfrown:

Serafina
2012-08-13, 02:09 AM
Artificers can do that. Dissassemble a magic item and use it to make a new one.

How to get one? Well if your GM opposes it, you're out of luck, period.
Leadership could work. You don't even have to have your Cohort accompany you (thus bypassing a lot of the issues there are), just have it stay back and produce items for you.
You could use your followers to set up a gold-producing economy (without abusing loopholes). A mining settlement run by your Artificer and staffed with your followers maybe. The Artificer provides reasonable protection and takes the raw materials and turns them into items you want.

If your GM doesn't want you to surprass WBL, he can simply increase the cost of running that setup to a point where you gain the items at their normal market value - the difference between that and their production cost will be used to run the settlement.

Tvtyrant
2012-08-13, 02:10 AM
The way I deal with the item cost and availability issue when it comes up is to take Leadership and get an Artificer as a cohort. The Artificer doesn't take part in combat, he just makes stuff for the party and sends it to us (mail, teleporting, etc.) This strategy lets you get any item you need at the cost of a feat and material costs.

That_guy_there
2012-08-13, 02:24 AM
DM is supposed to participate in the creation of your cohort (If not create it outright), so if the OP has a confrontational/ difficult DM thats been fighting him at every turn, I forsee this to be a fight too. What makes us think this DM is going to allow a PC to find a magic item making machine, if that PC can't find a decent place to sell things in the first place?

However an artificer cohort might be the way to go...

Tvtyrant
2012-08-13, 02:30 AM
Well, there is always using Planar Binding on something with either Minor Wish or Wish and then trading gold to it for making an item. If the DM tries to fool around with that you can always Dominate the bound outsider and make it make the item for you for free, although that might lead to an arms race.

DemonRoach
2012-08-13, 02:34 AM
This comes across more as one of many issues you should talk to the DM about directly, rather than trying to find work arounds...

AlchemicalMyst
2012-08-13, 03:50 AM
Other than telling them to open up the DMG and learn what it means to run a campaign?Honestly best thing is to probably just confront the GM and have the party say things need to change or you just won't play anymore.

For by the book, just throw ranks into Appraise. If your DM always breaks to rules then that's the way to go.

Oh also maybe this will help
PHB 3.5 pg 112:
"In general, a character can sell something for half its listed price.
Characters who want to upgrade to better armor or weaponry, for
example, can sell their old equipment for half price.
Trade goods are the exception to the half-price rule. A trade good,
in this sense, is a valuable good that can be easily exchanged almost
as if it were cash itself. Wheat, flour, cloth, gems, jewelry, art objects,
and valuable metals are trade goods, and merchants often trade in
them directly without using currency (see Table 7–3: Trade Goods).
Obviously, merchants can sell these goods for slightly more than
they pay for them, but the difference is small enough that you don’t
have to worry about it."

Darrin
2012-08-13, 09:24 AM
First, if you're deliberately trying to steamroll over your DM's campaign by optimizing your own custom "Magic Mini-Mart", then yes, your DM will tend to come down on you like a ton of bricks. As many have already suggested, your best bet is to talk to the DM directly, and hopefully the two of you can work out something where the DM still gets to create a challenging game while meeting your expectations as a player.

Second, if you want a more direct method to convert gold into magic items... there's at least two ways to do this, but they come with caveats.

1) Take at least one level in the Oriental Adventures Samurai class. This gives you "Ancestral Daisho" as a class feature, a masterwork katana (bastard sword) and wakizushi (short sword) that you can sacrifice gold/magic items in a ceremony and "awaken" enhancements for it. This allows you to skip the "turn it in for half price" step and "find a spellcaster to enchant" step, and just buy your weapon enhancements directly. However, the caveat is you can never lose (or sell) those weapons.

2) In Book of Exalted Deeds, there's a feat called Ancestral Relic that does pretty much the same thing as the Ancestral Daisho. Fortunately, it's a [General] feat and not an [Exalted] feat, but it does require you to have a Good alignment, and it comes from a book where the DM is encouraged to drag you over the coals and make your life a living heck if you don't meet his arbitrarily rigid definition of "good behavior". Also, while the Ancestral Relic doesn't explicitly have the same penalty for losing (or selling) the relic, odds are pretty good that your DM will respond unfavorably if you try to sell off your relic and then just happen to "find" another one.

Either way, if the DM is being stingy with gold or item crafting, this allows you to at least have a decent weapon that gets better as you level up.

Kitbix
2012-08-14, 12:19 PM
Ty guys i like the input. I of course will give the dm a piece of my mind but i think if that doesn't work ill try that planar binding idea =)

Jack_Simth
2012-08-14, 09:25 PM
Ty guys i like the input. I of course will give the dm a piece of my mind but i think if that doesn't work ill try that planar binding idea =)
Warning:
DO NOT USE THE OBVIOUS CREATURE, THE EFREETI.

It's suicide.

Seriously - intelligent creatures, so they can come up with plans. Lawful, so they're usually organized. While they can't use their wishes themselves, they literally can't fail an Intimidate check against a Fire Memphit (found on the same plane!), to which they can grant wishes (and thus, indirectly, they can grant their own wishes)... and they have a racial hatred of servitude.

Find a Glabrezou or something to milk.

Kitbix
2012-08-19, 01:29 AM
Actually i found the prestige class Fiend of Corruption can grant wishes anytime. Using this with a decently weak monster with enough exp will fit my need. Now i just need an overly complicated trap to will sap and command skill it till its got nothing left (=