PDA

View Full Version : Devotion Feats

ThreeDSix
2012-08-13, 03:49 AM
Hello Playground!

Almost all Devotion Feats from the Complete Champion book have the
Special Rule:" If you have the ability to turn or rebuke undead, you gain one additional daily use of this feat for each three daily turn or rebuke uses you expend"

The wording seems a little complicated to me.
Does this essentially mean: "You may use three of your daily turn or rebukes to gain one extra use of this ability" or does it mean something else (better)?

Please clarify this for me.
Thanks in advance! :smallsmile:

HunterOfJello
2012-08-13, 04:04 AM
This is all covered in the "Domain Feats" section on page 52-53.

First of all, when you take the feat you gain the use of the devotion ability 1/day. You always have that no matter what. In addition to that, you can expend a number of daily uses of Turn/Rebuke Undead in order to use the devotion ability again.

For a simple example, lets take the Death Devotion [Domain] feat. It lets you make your weapon give someone negative levels 1/day. So on a day when you've already used the ability once, if you happen to have the ability to Turn/Rebuke Undead, then you can expend uses of that ability to power the Death Devotion feat. You look at your character sheet and see that you have 4 uses of Turn Undead left for the day and decide you want to use it again to power Death Devotion. You expend 3 uses of it, reducing it down to 1 more use for today, and you use the ability again.

~

At least that's how I think it works based on what I've read and seen on the boards.

The part on pg 52 that says, "If you have the ability to turn or rebuke undead, you can gain additional daily uses of a domain feat's benefit by permanently sacrificing daily uses of that ability" does confuse me.

TuggyNE
2012-08-13, 04:21 AM
The part on pg 52 that says, "If you have the ability to turn or rebuke undead, you can gain additional daily uses of a domain feat's benefit by permanently sacrificing daily uses of that ability" does confuse me.

I am not terribly familiar with domain feats, but it sounds like you permanently give up turn undead attempts (at a given rate, presumably more favorable than the usual expenditure) to permanently gain additional uses of the domain feat. Does it specify what the exchange rate is?

ThreeDSix
2012-08-13, 04:25 AM
This is all covered in the "Domain Feats" section on page 52-53.

First of all, when you take the feat you gain the use of the devotion ability 1/day. You always have that no matter what. In addition to that, you can expend a number of daily uses of Turn/Rebuke Undead in order to use the devotion ability again.

For a simple example, lets take the Death Devotion [Domain] feat. It lets you make your weapon give someone negative levels 1/day. So on a day when you've already used the ability once, if you happen to have the ability to Turn/Rebuke Undead, then you can expend uses of that ability to power the Death Devotion feat. You look at your character sheet and see that you have 4 uses of Turn Undead left for the day and decide you want to use it again to power Death Devotion. You expend 3 uses of it, reducing it down to 1 more use for today, and you use the ability again.

~

At least that's how I think it works based on what I've read and seen on the boards.

Ah, thanks! :smallsmile:
I guess a slowly replenishing fount of Devotion feats was too much to hope for.

I was hoping that the feat would reward the player by making another use of the ability avaliable after using three Turns/Rebukes in general.
You would still have to burn a Turn/Rebuke to activate it, which wouldn't be too overpowered...

Oh well. Thanks again HoJ! :smallbiggrin:

ThreeDSix
2012-08-13, 04:27 AM
I am not terribly familiar with domain feats, but it sounds like you permanently give up turn undead attempts (at a given rate, presumably more favorable than the usual expenditure) to permanently gain additional uses of the domain feat. Does it specify what the exchange rate is?

Normally three Turns/Rebukes for another daily use. I quoted the rule as it appears in the book exactly.

EDIT: Here's to me not paying attention :smallredface:
As it appears on pg 52 of Complete Champions: If you have the ability to turn or rebuke undead, you can gain additional daily uses of a domain feat's benefit by permanently sacrificing daily uses of that ability

candycorn
2012-08-13, 04:27 AM

Nope. They actually posted an errata to it on the wizards site.

The expending of turn attempts is only for a day, as is the extra use.

ThreeDSix
2012-08-13, 04:34 AM

As I thought (feared).

Thanks, Candycorn!

HunterOfJello
2012-08-13, 04:34 AM
Ah, thanks! :smallsmile:
I guess a slowly replenishing fount of Devotion feats was too much to hope for.

I was hoping that the feat would reward the player by making another use of the ability avaliable after using three Turns/Rebukes in general.
You would still have to burn a Turn/Rebuke to activate it, which wouldn't be too overpowered...

Oh well. Thanks again HoJ! :smallbiggrin:

Some of those feats are already plenty powerful. The Travel Devotion feat is a popular one. It lets you take a move action as a swift action each round for 1 minute. You can also gain extra uses by expending 2 Turn attempts each time. That's a very powerful feat for a large number of builds, and is useful for almost anyone at any time.

Sun Devotion would be a very powerful feat in a setting with undead. Well, undead that are hard to turn.

Luck Devotion boosts your damage up to mediocrity.

Animal Devotion is fun too.

If you take a level of Cleric while having a decent charisma score and then grab Extra Turning, then you can be able to use some of these abilities a ton of times per day.

Ah. I was just looking at the errata and missed that. I had searched for 'devotion' instead of 'domain'. Yeah, it says:

Page 51 – Domain Feats
[Substitution]
Replace “permanently sacrificing” with “expending” in the last line of the third paragraph.

candycorn
2012-08-13, 05:18 AM
Let's consider Turn Undead, first.

It's situational (only works on undead), and you usually get quite a few uses (3+Cha mod) per day.

Now, let's assume a cleric with a 14 Charisma. That's 5 turns base. What do you do with them on days you're not being swarmed by zombies?

There's Divine feats, where you have to use 1 or more attempts every time you activate them. They can be really good.

Then there's Devotion feats. They give bonuses ranging from lackluster to fantastic, and clerics can get double, triple, or even more benefit from them. Heck, a Human Cleric with 14 Cha, extra turning, and Animal Devotion? Can fly in 4 encounters per day. At level one.