PDA

View Full Version : Dark Tower Needs Dark Occupant

Palanan
2012-08-13, 12:08 PM
Reasonable rent, somewhat removed from population centers. Some upkeep required.

I'm working on a short filler session for my seafaring campaign, in which the ship will come across an abandoned watch-tower on a rock-pile in the ocean. (This is mainly to give me breathing space while I work on a more involved encounter.) The tower is part of the overall story arc, but the encounter doesn't have to be.

I could use ideas for something to occupy the tower, preferably creature-y rather than people-y. It needs to be somewhat plausible for a remote rock in the vast reaches of an unexplored ocean, and should be challenging for a fourth-level party that's rather martial and nonmagical.

A nest of...something would be appropriate, just not sure what. Any ideas?

zorenathres
2012-08-13, 12:57 PM
the "Wreck Ashore" official adventure might work, its a tower/ lighthouse that has been taken over by pirates, who made a false lighthouse further away to lure ships into the rocks. the pirates made a deal with a tribe of lizardfolk who harass the nearby town & prevent anyone from reaching the lighthouse from inland.

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/oa/20040430a

its probably not what your looking for, but maybe it will give you some ideas for what you are trying to accomplish.

the_archduke
2012-08-13, 01:00 PM
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/ghoul.htm#lacedon

Lacedons? Basically aquatic ghouls. Maybe left over from a shipwreck. Or a necromancer was driven from the tower and these are the remnants.

Kol Korran
2012-08-13, 02:34 PM
I assume that this will be their only encounter for the day, so i'm suggesting CR 6-7 ideas:

1) Pure combat encounter:
- The broken tower is now the home of a sea hag and two merrow (aquatic ogre). The hag might be willing to talk, but unlikely.
- Or two scrags (aquatic trolls). if one is wounded harshly, he runs to the water to heal, while the other fight, and vice versa.
- Or 2 gargoyles, who were part of the watch tower in the past, and now were left here. they usually subside on fish, and would love a tastier meal.
Note: you may make the gargoyles encounter much more interesting if you use my version (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4351479&postcount=8) of guardian gargoyles (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4351489&postcount=9). The gargoyles scribbling might be especially interesting.

2) A more magical combat encounter: The abandoned tower has become the nest of a water naga. she uses it as a safe place from the underwater creatures. She doesn't like her secret place found.

3) A touch of the supernatural: While the place was abandoned, someone was punished and left here to guard it, bound in ever lasting chains. (I'll leave the exact details to you). Slowly s/he became a chain devil, and it now uses it's fearsome chain to fight any who dares infringe on it's torment. The chain devil slowly regenerates, and can use many chains at once, which make him a worthy adversary against a group.

4) For something quite... different: I used this encounter (with slight changes) quite successfully before. (people still remember it) Assuming the party has something to search on this litte tower on rocks, they find two harpies on it! But... they are not hostile. They have been on this wretched place for a long time (Perhaps escaped from a drowning ship that transferred them or some other bizarre story).

And they are lonely... very lonely... and seek companionship, of the intimate kind. Will your party agree? Whatever they are looking here for, the Harpies have hidden it well/ only they know the information/ put it somewhere else or the like. The party should be able to obtain it without the... um... "exchange", but it should be quite difficult, and prone to failure. If they do agree, well- make sure to give "outside the bedroom" impresions for the other characters, make it memorable. Rustle a feather or two?

I hope this helps, good luck with your campaign. I've started a pirate/ sea faring campaign myself, might exchange notes in the future?

aphoticConniver
2012-08-13, 02:38 PM
Wait, doesn't the Crimson King already *SLAPPED*

Hmm... perhaps a group of Sea Hags (http://www.dnd-wiki.org/wiki/SRD:Sea_Hag)?

God Imperror
2012-08-13, 02:47 PM
Wait, doesn't the Crimson King already *SLAPPED*

The Crimson King not being there made me sad :smallfrown:

Andorax
2012-08-13, 03:30 PM
A literal nest, perhaps? A mated pair of Wyverns and a nest full of eggs occupying the top of the tower. The interior is locked, sealed, and intact (as the Wyverns had no interest in it).

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2012-08-13, 04:08 PM
The PCs will notice first thing that there are a lot of bugs around, and there's a dark green moss growing all over the tower.

The lower levels of the tower are overrun with Shocker Lizards and quite a few tiny monstrous spiders. They eat the bugs, which eat the moss. None of these are hostile toward the PCs.

On the upper floor several Grells (MM2) have made their nest, they eat the lizards at their leisure since they're immune to their electrical defenses. Also on the upper floor is an onyx that continually* emits a Deeper Darkness effect heightened to a 5th level spell (moderate evocation, caster level 9th, 2,000 gp value). The Grells stay hidden near the ceiling when they hear something approaching, and their Blindsight allows them to ignore the miss chance.

*The item automatically casts Deeper Darkness on itself every nine days, if it's dispelled then it won't come back on for 1d8 days. It's priced based on Spell Level (5) x Caster Level (9) x 2,000 gp (use-activated), /5 (charges per day), /9 (one charge every nine days). Being Heightened, it automatically overrides Light-descriptor spells of 4th level and lower, and is cancelled equally by a 5th level light spell. The onyx itself is small enough to put on a pendant and not occupy an item space. A character wearing it could place the stone in their mouth to block its effect, then when they need it they can 'drop' it as a free action by spitting it out, and it will return to its place hanging from their neck.

LTwerewolf
2012-08-13, 04:16 PM
Give the dark tower a sub-basement and throw in an aboleth sorcerer or psion. The things in the tower could be humanoids or other things that the aboleth dominated.

kitcik
2012-08-13, 04:18 PM
The Dark Tower, an official 1E module from Judges Guild, which was (somewhat poorly) updated to the SRD is a great module.

Maybe not what you are looking for, but I saw the thread title and was hearkened back to days of yore.

Palanan
2012-08-13, 04:39 PM
Thanks to everyone for the suggestions so far; definitely some interesting ideas. Kol Korran, your notion about the harpies is, umm, unique. ...:smalleek:

I like the idea of a number of smaller creatures which are inoffensive or only mildly threatening, and which would distract from a greater threat.

On the other hand, I also like the idea of the wyverns, or similar winged creatures; the rock-pile is a perfect haven for something with wings, especially something that could survive off a rich harvest of marine life, patrolling a wide territory over the empty ocean. They would feel especially threatened by the ship's approach, and would be cunning in how they defend their nest.

Wyverns don't feel quite right, though. Anything similar that might fit?

Kuulvheysoon
2012-08-13, 04:45 PM
A swarm of darkmantles with a half-fiend advanced darkmantle as the leader could be hiding out in the tower.

Because damn, Darkmantles can be scary.

The Redwolf
2012-08-13, 04:51 PM
A cat. A single cat at the top of the tower, next to a really nice magic item. The cat is very friendly to all of them, seeking affection and treats, that sort of thing. It hisses at them when they get close to the object. If they decide to take it a spell gets cast at them. The cat is actually a crazed druid in a wildshape with natural spell, and the animal companion is something that climbs or flies and is hiding in the ceiling. Combat ensues when after the spell is cast.

Elvenoutrider
2012-08-13, 08:50 PM
Go play through bioshock. Adapt the entire plot to fit your setting.

The Redwolf
2012-08-13, 08:54 PM
Go play through bioshock. Adapt the entire plot to fit your setting.

I think he wants it to be a good plot though...:smalltongue: (Sorry, I'm one of like three people ever to now like Bioshock, I know, just couldn't help myself)

Palanan
2012-08-13, 10:10 PM
Actually, I like the idea of a pair of large flying creatures which are nesting on the rock-pile, possibly at the tower's crest.

I like the concept of the Quetzalcoatlus, but a pair of them would be a CR 10 encounter, which would be a little much for a 4th-level party. I could use the stats for a dire hawk, two of which would be CR 4...but that doesn't feel quite challenging enough.

Is there a flying creature somewhere in between that would work? Maybe a dire eagle with a little something extra?

The Redwolf
2012-08-13, 10:13 PM
Actually, I like the idea of a pair of large flying creatures which are nesting on the rock-pile, possibly at the tower's crest.

I like the concept of the Quetzalcoatlus, but a pair of them would be a CR 10 encounter, which would be a little much for a 4th-level party. I could use the stats for a dire hawk, two of which would be CR 4...but that doesn't feel quite challenging enough.

Is there a flying creature somewhere in between that would work? Maybe a dire eagle with a little something extra?

Not sure about CR, but maybe a rock or something like that?

ShriekingDrake
2012-08-13, 10:33 PM
I really like BF's idea, above. Though I think it might be interesting to add something like a shipwrecked Hadozee sailor into the mix. He could be mad, desperate, in need of assistance, helpful, distracting or even so hungry as to wish to consume the party. Perhaps our Hadozee is tormented by a Taunting Haunt, all that is left of one of his former embittered shipmates.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2012-08-13, 10:47 PM
You could add a pair of Dire Eagles (RoS, CR 3) to pretty much anything already suggested, as long as other creatures on the island can't reach their nest. If you go with my suggestion of Grells and Shocker Lizards, the Grells would go for the easier prey and eat the lizards rather than having to fight the eagles for their eggs.

Palanan
2012-08-13, 11:21 PM
The grell/shocker concept is definitely cool, and I'm thinking I may adapt that for another scenario later in the campaign, since it would fit into a story arc involving aberrations.

For this particular encounter, I might keep it a little simpler and go with a pair of scaled-down Quetzalcoatlus, using dire eagle stats, as the primary creatures. But is there some minor feature I could add, like poison or whatnot, to raise their CR just a touch?

Kuulvheysoon
2012-08-13, 11:38 PM
The grell/shocker concept is definitely cool, and I'm thinking I may adapt that for another scenario later in the campaign, since it would fit into a story arc involving aberrations.

For this particular encounter, I might keep it a little simpler and go with a pair of scaled-down Quetzalcoatlus, using dire eagle stats, as the primary creatures. But is there some minor feature I could add, like poison or whatnot, to raise their CR just a touch?

Well, there's also the possibility of Winged (SS) Huge Vipers at CR4 (CR3 for the Huge Viper, +1 for Winged template). Seems like a scaled-down Coatl to me, and it's even got poison (and perfect maneuverability). Just make sure to give it Ability Focus (poison) instead of the horrible, horrible Run feat.

Gods, that horrible pun was unintentional, I swear.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2012-08-14, 01:01 AM
Approaching the island the party may be attacked by several Terlens (Fiend Folio), which are extraplanar sharks with enormous winglike fins, capable of leaving the water and taking flight to stalk prey on the land. They'll swoop in targeting any small-size creatures that they can improved grab, then carry their victims into the water.

At the base of the island is a shipwreck, less than a week old. Investigating it the PCs will find two Ooze Mephits scavenging it, which when discovered will immediately activate their Stinking Cloud abilities and breath attacks then retreat into the tower. The mephits have already destroyed what cargo and supplies remained in the wreckage.

As the PCs approach the tower they may be attacked by an extremely angry Adult Arrowhawk which lives at the ruined top of the tower.

On the first floor of the tower the PCs will find more crates and barrels from the shipwreck, all broken and their contents destroyed by the mephits' acid. The upper level is barricaded, the lower level is extremely wet and mucky. The floor of the lower level has sunk down a bit and become uneven, and it's mostly covered in mud but there's still a few stones visible with the remnants of a summoning circle etched into them. The Ooze Mephits from the wreckage plus one more can be found here, along with several shelves filled with ruined books. The mephits will use Stinking Cloud and harsh words to drive away any unwanted guests, and only use their breath attacks if they're attacked first.

On the second floor of the tower are several sailors (pick a humanoid race) which aren't necessarily hostile toward the PCs, but probably don't speak their language. They came to the tower seeking shelter, and even carried in much of the ship's remaining supplies, but the mephits apparently chased them upstairs and destroyed their supplies hoping they would leave. The marooned sailors found two Arrowhawks nesting at the top of the tower, and managed to first steal their eggs and then killed one for food, but now the other is relentlessly trying to avenge its mate. There are more ruined books on this level of the tower, the sailors have burned many to cook food and stay warm but the ones that remain may give the PCs some clue as to the tower's original purpose.

Andorax
2012-08-14, 12:38 PM
If not a Wyvern, perhaps a Yrthak? Poor, poor Yrthaks so far back in the MM they get forgotten about.

Palanan
2012-08-14, 02:10 PM
BF, you have an absolute flair for designing clever, multilayered encounters. Your concept manages to tell several stories at once. Truly very nice.

And I did indeed think about the yrthak (one of the first flying creatures that crossed my mind, actually) but even a single specimen would be CR 9, with a ranged weapon that could potentially one-shot any member of the party. Definitely worth keeping in mind for later, once the party acquires a little more firepower.

The winged vipers could be a good fit. What book are they from? And is there a poison that would be more paralytic? I'm thinking it would be something to help them subdue larger fish, caught far out to sea.

Kuulvheysoon
2012-08-14, 05:58 PM
The winged vipers could be a good fit. What book are they from? And is there a poison that would be more paralytic? I'm thinking it would be something to help them subdue larger fish, caught far out to sea.

The Winged Vipers are MM stock-standard vipers (Huge size, CR3) with the Winged template from Savage Species. It'd be easy enough to switch out their poison if you wish - you're the DM, after all.

Ghasts (CR3) have a DC15 paralysis for 1d4+1 rounds, conceivably, a poison with a damage of 1d4 Dexterity/1d4 rounds of paralysis doesn't seem overly overpowered.

A Dexterity or Strength reducing poison might also work - Giant Wasps (CR3) have a 1d6/1d6 Dex poison, while Large Monstrous Spiders (CR2) have a 1d6/1d6 Strength - so there's precedence there.

Hyde
2012-08-14, 07:53 PM
They're exploring the tower when the floor falls out beneath them. In a small grotto lies... the Gazebo.

Keld Denar
2012-08-14, 08:15 PM
You could simply advance the Dire Eagles. Adding up to 3 HD makes them 1 CR higher (CR4, EL 6 for the pair). Bumping them up a size from there makes them CR 5, EL 7 for the pair, with the option of picking up PCs and dropping them in the ocean.

Palanan
2012-08-14, 10:10 PM
Those were about the CRs I was thinking--CR 4 individually, EL 6 for two. They probably won't be hauling off too many PCs, although the halfling swashbuckler is just asking for it.

:smallbiggrin:

Also, here's a question for BF, if he's still around. In the grell/shocker scenario, was there any rationale for the onyx casting darkness on itself?

I was thinking of adapting that for a later encounter, set in a cave complex, but with minerals that produced the darkness naturally (or unnaturally, as the case may be) rather than a specific item. Was the onyx meant to be tied into the grells somehow, or was it just a convenient way for them to capitalize on their blindsight?

Keld Denar
2012-08-14, 11:12 PM
Grells tend to be hoarders, so I'd wager it was something one of them picked up at a previous time and transported with it to the tower.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2012-08-15, 12:14 AM
An ongoing darkness effect is one of the most useful things for a party to have, especially a sneaky character like a Rogue who tend to be underpowered anyway. It's particularly useful if held in a character's mouth as I described, since it doesn't take any additional actions to activate/release the effect. It is an easy way to capitalize on their Blindsight plus allowing them to be able to hide until they're ready to pounce, and it pushes the fight up to the challenging difficulty. Plus Grells are a Treasure: None monster, and even the simplest magical trinket is way better than nothing at all, especially an interesting/useful effect like this one.

The Redwolf
2012-08-15, 12:16 AM
They're exploring the tower when the floor falls out beneath them. In a small grotto lies... the Gazebo.

:smalleek::smallfrown:
RUN AWAY! RUN IN HORROR!

Saintheart
2012-08-15, 10:13 AM
The Crimson King not being there made me sad :smallfrown:

But the Crimson King was there, he was just *slap slap slappity slap* :smallamused:

MukkTB
2012-08-15, 11:20 AM
Is the setting the generic D&D pseudo medieval fantasy setting? If so then any of these suggestions are fine.

However if it isn't you have an opportunity to develop it further. If this is supposed to be a filler episode it may as well be filled with fluff. Is your setting the stage of an epic battle between heaven and hell? Have something celestial ask the heroes to remove something demonic from the tower. Is your setting a cosmopolitan place where humans run unchecked? Stick a group of smugglers in the tower. Is your setting a world overrun by magic monsters where humans live in stronghold cities trying to hold off the horribles? Put a really challenging magical beast in the tower and stress how the tower WAS inhabited by sentients who were forced to abandon it.

Use this opportunity to inform the players what kind of world they're living in by their own experiences. Give them information about the world that will let them preform better in the campaign that you are preparing for them.

For example lets say they're going to be fighting the evil empire soon. The big bad is a nasty high level necromancer. You could stick a necromancer in the tower, and then optimize him to be really nasty. Let the party learn that in this world necromancy is a major mover and shaker. You could then even declare the guy in the tower was a renegade apprentice of the BBEG.

You can set tone in addition to theme. Shenanigans with a gnome illusionist and a belt of gender bending set a pretty light hearted tone. Trying to save a crew member from being killed gruesomely by a monster sets a grimmer tone. Trying to outwit a mage in a game of cat and mouse gives the feel of a thriller.

Palanan
2012-08-15, 12:07 PM
Originally Posted by MukkTB
If this is supposed to be a filler episode it may as well be filled with fluff.

It is, indeed. There are some elements to the ship's voyage which the PCs aren't aware of yet, and this will provide an opportunity for them to learn more about that, as well as a little foreshadowing of what they're sailing into.

Good comments, especially on informing the players about the world they're operating in.

Originally Posted by Hyde, Saintheart, etc. etc.
*disconnected references to Gazebo and Crimson Somebody*

Umm...what?

Hyde
2012-08-15, 12:10 PM
ohman, this guy has never heard of the gazebo (http://www.comedycorner.org/90.html).

Saintheart
2012-08-15, 08:29 PM
Nor, it seems, has he heard of the "other" Dark Tower. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dark_Tower_(series))

The short version about the Crimson King specifically: in essence, Stephen King wrote seven novels, comprising The Dark Tower series, over literally the course of his entire career, about 30, 35 years or so. Now, as you might imagine, this did build up the expectations of his fans towards the last novel, named "The Dark Tower", because the author had been hinting at some form of "unimaginable confrontation" between the protagonist, Roland of Gilead, and the person thought of as the chief antagonist -- the Crimson King.

This suffered from two main problems in the end:

First, since Stephen King had written the whole series over a godawfully long period of time, he started to get a bit wiggy on continuity towards the end. It was implied in the first few novels, and indeed in other unrelated novels to the series, that the Crimson King was imprisoned at the very top of the Dark Tower. Somewhere along the line, Stephen King decided that apparently wouldn't be such a cool idea and said instead the Crimson King was quite literally in another castle. Without spoiling the ending, what did turn out to be imprisoned at the top of the tower was ... divisive.

Second, the Crimson King turns out at the end to be just about the definition of an underwhelming end boss. This is already a bit of a surprise to the longtime reader, but when he's then taken out by, well, putting it generously, something of a last minute arrivant to the series, some readers felt it a bit ... jarring. Basically, the Crimson King's ultimate identity and fate were a major letdown to a fair portion of the series' fans. It's been the subject of meme ever since.