PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Alchemy, Herb lore and the like.

Kol Korran
2012-08-13, 12:54 PM
Hi all. One of my players is playing a character with high alchemy and herbalist skills (Which I put under Knowledge nature).

He wants to be able to do 3 things:
1- To be able to create interesting alchemical items.
Any good source on these? in the books or perhaps homebrew? my search yields little.

2- To find and grow strange plants and such, perhaps using their fruits, seeds, bark or whatever for mechanical effects (preferably without needing a magical item creation feat)
Again- is there anywhere a list of plants, herbs and the like? Anyone have any ideas as to applicable rules?

3- At times, quickly create strange inventions from "the materials at hand". In this he wants to be something between the mad crazy scientist and the genius (explosives) savant. Are there any rules for all kind for this? We'll be partly using aspects from Spirit Of the Century for this, but all advice is appreciated.

Thanks a bunch, I want to help make his characters more varied, interesting and fun.

(search word: pirate witch)

Lonely Tylenol
2012-08-13, 03:51 PM
1) I have created just such a list, containing (most of) the 3.5 rule books, which is in my signature in table form.

2) I have not created such a list, but as far as I know, the only special materials I have yet to address are speciak material components, which won't generally do him any good. You might have better luck with Pathfinder, which has market values for the harvested components of some creatures. Which brings me to..

3) Eberron has the Master Alchemist (or something similar) PrC in, I believe, Magic of Eberron, which can do something similar with spell vials. However, your absolute best bet for this is probably the Alchemist base class, from Pathfinder, which has bombs as a primary combat class feature which scale by level, as well as alchemical infusions, and mutagens somewhat reminiscent of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (when built right, especially so).

Kol Korran
2012-08-14, 01:55 AM
That... is a bloody impressive list! wow! thanks a lot! I'll also check your other suggestions.

I think i will try to synergize herbs and alchemy, similarly to the way special spell components work. (this herbs makes you fire alchemy cause more damage, this causes your tanglefoot DC be higher, this enables you to create this expensive magical item for half the price, and so on...)

I'll check your suggestions for the classes you mentioned. the character is a crazy mix of all kinds of stuff, not sure the alchemist would fit there, but i'll check it out- maybe things I can incorporate?

thanks a lot Lonely Tylenol! :smallamused: