PDA

View Full Version : (IC) Heroes for Hire

Zman
2012-08-13, 04:22 PM
Heroes for Hire

The sun was reaching it's apex on the 10th day of the third ten-day of Mirthul, hot on your necks as it heralded the beginning of summer. The road was long, the journey far. The loose group of sellswords made way North along the road from Scarsdale to Harrowdale...

OOC Thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=13716256#post13716256)

Nuetralize Ronin the Red

Client: Marcus Moroix, the Merchant of Scarsdale

Reward: 2000gp

Objective: Find the bandit named Ronin and neutralize his criminal endeavors along the north road to Harrowdale. He is known for targeting merchants moving along the road, many who are in the employ of Marcus Moroix.

Ronin the Red: Thief and competent fighter, known for specializing in the shortsword. Has a gang consisting of 5-15 men. Most attacks have occurred between 10-20 miles south of Harrowdale, none in the same spot.

Bonus: 1000gp for completing the task within a tenday, must report back to Scarsdale. Contingent on the allotted wagon reaching its destination.

Additional Resources: There is a merchant wagon already a day ahead of you that you have access to. You can catch in 1-2 days of travel, you have 3-4 days to reach the southern most hold up spot. The wagon is filled with luxury textiles, ~3kgp worth. You have a writ granting you full use of the wagon for the purpose of achieving your objective. Though, you are asked to minimize the risk to the wagon crew, two men and a driver. The two men are lightly armed, not enough to deter more than a bandit or two.

Note: This first contract has been supplied by Wethun. Wethun, Zaavariel, and Yurkring have been working together for 6 months, Elba and Vers are recent additions. This will be your first or second time working together as a group. One condition of the contract was that you set out immediately.

TheFallenSon
2012-08-13, 10:37 PM
"Shars pointy black teets it is a thrice damned Rashemi sweat lodge out here. Whose frelling idea was this anyways...don't one if you answer that...I am well aware it was my own." he swore again...a long vibrant series of syllables in some traditional languages and one that was probably made up. And so you all don't think he's the sort to get riled up over nothing, he was currently standing ankle deep in what he hoped was a pile of oxen dung, but given the world they all lived in...it could have been anything.*

He was angry at himself for this contract. A local bandit lord and maybe 15 thugs...and He and his misfits had to stop them. Which brought him to another common thought. They really should come up with a name. It was an argument he and his new mates had been having for a while now. But he would be damned if his name or part of it didn't appear in their title...he was the leader and he was allowed some vanity.

"So about naming our Motley Crew of vagabonds. I think the Bloodletters Blades sounds businessy enough for us to get regular employment. Right Zav? What do you think Yurkring?" He was baiting his companions. He liked ol Zav, and the walking platemail furnace of a mageling dwarf was good for drinking. But these new two, a loopy gnome and...a dworpion? Scorparf?....

"Scarf, what do you think?"he would shift his eyes to one of their newest cadre members. The one with the pincers.

begooler
2012-08-13, 10:50 PM
"Bloodletters Blades? It's reminiscent of leeches. Which would be a good advertisement if we sought the employment of the excessively sanguine. Is that desirable?"
Ebla responds to Wethun's inquiry, indifferent to whom he might have actually been addressing.
She had only recently ceased complaining of the party's insistence on traveling during the daytime, preferring to be out at night. Ebla appears to not be bothered by trudging through mud however, every so often spreading her wings and gliding for a few meters.

Zman
2012-08-13, 11:21 PM
"Vain as always.... I'm partial to... What did that guy call is, you know, the one who couldn't keep watch worth a damned... Got his throat tore out by a dire wolf during his shift...yeah, the Bloody Rejects. The dense and bronzed Wood Elf relished in the sun and wearing naught but his traveling leathers, a thick blade across his back.

Rejects is right, and damned if I can remember his name...means we've gone through too many in what? Six months....seven....whose counting...

Zaavariel made sure to keep an eye on their two new companions, a pale gnomish girl and a monster, half dwarf, half scorpion, half nightmare...Damned thing gives me the creeps.

"Where do you find these people Wethun?"

Jallorn
2012-08-14, 02:55 AM
It's Vers, please, comes the quiet response. The dwarf hadn't spoken much to any of the others. It was still new to him, despite his lord's lessons. In his first life he didn't really need to do much talking, he was stronger or he was weaker, that's all there was to it. Now, his appearance put others in a state of unease. Part of the point, apparently, aside from the power it gave him. If he could put others at ease, his lord had said, yet still retain a degree of fear, he would be one step closer. Closer to what, Vers didn't know.

The name we have will irrevocably color peoples' perception of us. A fearsome name is good, it makes us seem powerful, and carries reputation well, but too much and it may narrow our potential client list. If we wish to choose out client type, rather than letting them choose us, we need to pick the right name. Vers pauses a moment before speaking again, Bloodletter's Blades give us a darker reputation, likely attracting clients who don't care about anything other than their enemies being cut down. While the Bloody Rejects is chancy. People like a good outsider in a story, but in real life? Then again, there is some appeal for a mercenary who does their job and then leaves.

Escheton
2012-08-14, 04:23 AM
Sitting perfectly comfortable in platemail that could fry an egg at this time of day, with not a hint of steam or sweat, the abjurer looks a moment at the monstrosity of a dwarf, then speaks:
"My vote is and always will be set on Stoneshield Sentinels. There is pride, renown and dignity in the name of my blood. It does not sound cut-throat as "Bloodletter's Blades". He scofs. "It speaks of axe, shield, reliability and protection."

Looking down at his mount he pats her on the nek a time or two.

"But none of that matters now. We just need to hurry to catch your ride so I can earn the means to put some plating on me horse.

TheFallenSon
2012-08-14, 07:22 AM
"Right, the plan..........let's go over this, one more time. I go and act as a member of the wagon team, get robbed, and then Ebla tracks them to their base...where the five of us then ambush our quary and hope to survive? That is the basic gist right?" This sounded like he might get beaten...or at the very least roughed up by a bandit or two. This was going to be miserable.*

He looked over his companions. They could do it he was pretty sure. But then again pretty sure left you dead more often than not...hehe.

Zman
2012-08-14, 08:17 AM
"We could simply trail the wagon and watch, them none the wiser. So when they are robbed, it looks real, since it is real, noffense to your acting abilities.[. Once thy attack,me ambush them once they are busy looting. Keep one alive, get him to tell us where the rest are. Maybe even get lucky and this Ronin will be there,msave is a days work."

The tall, for an elf, and worry walked briskly, having little trouble keeping up with the horse(s).

Escheton
2012-08-14, 08:30 AM
"No. We need to keep a further distance. Lest we get spotted and they stay in hiding. If we don't encounter them we miss the bonus. And we need the cart to keep moving to avoid suspicion.
And without informing the wagon, or plant one of our own, we have no way to mark where they where acurately." Yurkring says with a stern voice.

Zman
2012-08-14, 08:42 AM
"it'd be easier to be stealthy dwarf without 100lbs of armor, it would not be difficult for one or two of us to stealthily watch the wagon while the other...more inconspicuous members coud be trailing.". The Elf added just the right inflections to jest short of outright insult.

Escheton
2012-08-14, 09:14 AM
"If you are willing to bet your life on those skills of yours elf, go right ahead. But as I would not rob a wagon with sight of anything else on the road, we would be too far behind to aid in combat." Yurkring retorts.

Turning in his saddle he addresses the warlock:
"Ow, and sweetcheeks. If this heat is bothering you, I can craft you an item that grants you endurance to the elements for your cut.`

Focusing on the road and the thread of his mount he mutters to himself:
`Hmm...should probably make myself one as well. Saves me the trouble of having to take off my armor on hot days.`

begooler
2012-08-14, 11:26 AM
Ebla flutters upwards and lands on the back of the cart, where she stretches for a moment. She retrieves some cured goat meat from her pack and chews slowly while listening to the party discuss their plan.

"The hunter becomes the hunted. How do we ambush the ambusher?"

Ebla looks at Wethun for a moment, considering his demeanor and movements.

"Bait is very effective for catching fish, but it bait fishing does not make a very good plan for the worm.
But, if this is our plan, we could equip Wethun with magic and items to protect him, and send My Friend along to report back to us when there is a bite on the line."

Ebla lets out a slow, deep hum, calling her friend. The small earth elemental, which has been gliding through the ground unseen, emerges from the loose earth.

Jallorn
2012-08-14, 12:57 PM
I am, actually, much better than you would expect at remaining unseen and unheard. I could follow from the woods, near enough to see the cart, but far enough to remain hidden. We want to keep the goods safe after all, do we not?

TheFallenSon
2012-08-14, 04:45 PM
"Platemail McGuillacuty has a point. The plan as it stands is good. The addition of the dirtman is a good one, thanks for the Offer Ebla. After they strike, it will be up to you all to move forward and do the stellar man slaying...or the astounding man tracking." He would nod approvingly to Ebla when her little minion and her plan addition a mentioned.*

"As for the offer for the counter ambush...that may be productive as an 'oh frell everyones going to die' reaction...especially if we can convince them that your presence is the precursor to a monstrous horde of man bug men. I mean we hired you on as a partner and I am afraid to sleep near you. So yeah...effective!" His poo bubble munching forced smile of overt friendliness flashed as he nodded approvingly to all his gathered companions.*

begooler
2012-08-14, 05:02 PM
Ebla begins digging through items she'd stashed in the cart. She pulls out a rod rolled in parchment...
"Light it, it makes smoke, let's you hide."
...a bulky sack loosely wrapped in cloth and twine...
"Throw this at them, they'll get stuck in place."
...and a smooth, palm-sized irridescent stone.
"And if you throw this one against the ground it will distract and deafen them. But careful to throw it far enough away from yourself."

She thrusts the armful of items towards Wethun.

Smokestick .5 lb
This alchemically treated wooden stick instantly creates thick, opaque smoke when ignited. The smoke fills a 10-foot cube (treat the effect as a fog cloud spell, except that a moderate or stronger wind dissipates the smoke in 1 round). The stick is consumed after 1 round, and the smoke dissipates naturally.

Tanglefoot Bag 4lb
When you throw a tanglefoot bag at a creature (as a ranged touch attack with a range increment of 10 feet), the bag comes apart and the goo bursts out, entangling the target and then becoming tough and resilient upon exposure to air. An entangled creature takes a -2 penalty on attack rolls and a -4 penalty to Dexterity and must make a DC 15 Reflex save or be glued to the floor, unable to move. Even on a successful save, it can move only at half speed. Huge or larger creatures are unaffected by a tanglefoot bag. A flying creature is not stuck to the floor, but it must make a DC 15 Reflex save or be unable to fly (assuming it uses its wings to fly) and fall to the ground. A tanglefoot bag does not function underwater.

A creature that is glued to the floor (or unable to fly) can break free by making a DC 17 Strength check or by dealing 15 points of damage to the goo with a slashing weapon. A creature trying to scrape goo off itself, or another creature assisting, does not need to make an attack roll; hitting the goo is automatic, after which the creature that hit makes a damage roll to see how much of the goo was scraped off. Once free, the creature can move (including flying) at half speed. A character capable of spellcasting who is bound by the goo must make a DC 15 Concentration check to cast a spell. The goo becomes brittle and fragile after 2d4 rounds, cracking apart and losing its effectiveness. An application of universal solvent to a stuck creature dissolves the alchemical goo immediately.

Thunderstone 1lb
You can throw this stone as a ranged attack with a range increment of 20 feet. When it strikes a hard surface (or is struck hard), it creates a deafening bang that is treated as a sonic attack. Each creature within a 10-foot-radius spread must make a DC 15 Fortitude save or be deafened for 1 hour. A deafened creature, in addition to the obvious effects, takes a -4 penalty on initiative and has a 20% chance to miscast and lose any spell with a verbal component that it tries to cast.

Since you don’t need to hit a specific target, you can simply aim at a particular 5-foot square. Treat the target square as AC 5.

Zman
2012-08-14, 05:17 PM
"Plans are good, though I hope you can heal those horses, force marching a wagon to make up a day will kill them."

Zaavariel pats the wagons horses on the rear.

TheFallenSon
2012-08-15, 07:20 AM
"Thank you for all of that."He places the items in a series of pockets and pouches.*

"Well we need to do something or the wagon will be sacked and those men dead before we ever arrive." he was still moving forward, conversation at this point had been an exercise to get his mind off of the heat and travel of the day.

begooler
2012-08-15, 12:53 PM
Ebla calls out to the horse.
"Do not worry, we will take care of you and we won't work you into horse-meat. And tomorrow, I'll help you be a faster, stronger horse. You'll be so proud!"

"She's doing a splendid job, isn't she?"
(The question seems to be directed at the actual wagon, which of course, only responds with creaking along.)

"Yes, I agree."

Zman
2012-08-15, 01:14 PM
Well ain't that something... in response to Elba.

Escheton
2012-08-15, 01:41 PM
"Yes she is. Wergret here has been a well-trusted hard-working ally for some time now. As her father was before her.
Strong stock they are, from the fields and land at the foot of the mountain. Great workhorses that can cleave an orc's skull in twain." the dwarf exclaims loudly and proudly. Ending with a long roaring laughter at the thought of a skull-smashed ork.

Zman
2012-08-15, 04:30 PM
As the sun begins peaking fr the day, you've already been traveling down the sandy road for hours, taking turns riding the cart, saving the horses strength for as long as possible.

The sun sets and darkness begins to claim the land, you see a couple of potential campsites, on just off the road nestled under ancient pines, the other further off the road, a rock outcropping surrounded by a small clearing.

I'm not rolling damage on the horses sincemitmis clear that in the journey you can keep her healthy.

begooler
2012-08-15, 05:15 PM
Just in case this is useful at all with selecting a site and setting up camp.
Survival [roll0]

TheFallenSon
2012-08-15, 06:02 PM
"Lets make sure that we chose a spot that is easy for us to defend. I don't fancy waking up with a spear in my belly...or a an orc in my arse. Camp should be small, and I am not sure if we should risk a fire. Less attention to our endeavor." He would try and assist in the search for an appropriate site for this evenings rest.

Rolls if needed...yeah!!
search [roll0]
survival [roll1]
Knowledge Nature [roll2]

Zman
2012-08-15, 08:24 PM
"Agreed, though I don't feel like staying too far from the wagon."

[roll0]

Escheton
2012-08-15, 08:56 PM
Yurkring unties his steed, takes the saddle and brittle off and fastens the quilted tarp to replace them. So she has less bother from the weather, and can roam a bit while clearly being a owned horse if encountered.

"Do what you wish with camp or fire. I'm out." he casually mentions as he lays down on the bare floor facing away from the cart. Promptly falling asleep with a loud snore that quickly dies out.

Jallorn
2012-08-15, 09:30 PM
Still sufficiently energized, Vers sets about gathering wood. He doesn't bother with tinder or twigs, gathering, instead, dead wood sticks, and one log if he can find it.

Survival: [roll0]

When he's done, Vers takes a bunch of sticks, holds the tips over his mouth, head pointed up, and exhales, fire flaring up into the night, lighting the sticks. Quickly setting them in the shape of a campfire, he places a few more down, and sets down, saying, I'll take first watch.

begooler
2012-08-15, 09:53 PM
Ebla at first objects to building a fire, insisting it only makes it easier for enemies to spot the party, but she does end up lending a hand with collecting sticks.

"I will volunteer second watch. And My Friend can assist with each of the watches. It needs no rest."

In Terran, Ebla commands the elemental to keep watch at the opposite end of camp. (Opposite end to have someone watching from more angles.) It has darkvision, and doesn't sleep.

Zman
2012-08-16, 08:07 AM
"And I'll take third." Zaavariel curls up a small ways from the fire. He does not eat.

Zaavariel will only sleep through the first watch and will stay awake the rest of the night thanks to only needing 2 hours a night.

Zman
2012-08-16, 03:18 PM
The grow dark and the new summer warmth leaves the night bitter, the hours drift by and the watches change without incident.

@Vers
You see what you believe is a campfire or other light far off in the distance down the road.

Jallorn
2012-08-16, 03:28 PM
Though he is by now tired, Vers decides to investigate the other fire before going to rest himself. Once he has raised Ebla for her watch, he heads towards the fire, moving slowly, for him, through the woods to keep quiet.

Move Silently: [roll0]

begooler
2012-08-16, 06:45 PM
When Ebla wakes up, she goes off to find a spot to meditate on her spells for the day, and also searches for breakfast.

Survival to find delicious breakfast for everyone: [roll0]
Earth elemental tries to aid: [roll1]

After preparing her spells, and searching for breakfast, Ebla also uses the Good Berry spell to stock up on some healing berries for later.

[roll2] goodberries made.

Jallorn
2012-08-16, 07:04 PM
If it's now morning.

Upon rising again, Vers similarly performs an incantation, bestowing the knowledge of dragons upon himself again.

Zman
2012-08-16, 07:29 PM
Leaving after third Watch and fully rested Zaavariel heads off down the road to catch and hold the wagon...

"Good idea Vers, I don't think they'd take too kindly to you overtaking them on the road."

Speed 40 with a couple hour head start, I'll arch the, by the time they break camp..l.so long as I'm not eaten by an owl bear.....

TheFallenSon
2012-08-16, 09:38 PM
As the others stirred and began their day...so did Wethun. He hated this part of being an adventuring mercenary who captured the hearts of the down trodden and the doxies of many a city state and village...yes it was a lonely...and muscle cramp/stiff back type of life. He swore a bit more as he stretched. His old trick shoulder was acting up something fierce today....he rolled his arm back and forth as he walked about the camp ground. He was shirtless..and nearly pantless. "What's for the first meal of the day? Grubs and berries? I do so love those grubs and berries. Ooooh or maybe we found some beetles today?"

He was looking forward to moving forward to the wagon...and meeting the rest of his new crew. The wagoneer and the rest.

Escheton
2012-08-17, 10:30 AM
"Ow, stop complaining "Mr I-can't-keep-my-shirt-on"". you hear coming from the platemail as it sits up and looks around in a daze.
"You can have a fancy dinner again when we finish this mission and get back to town. Untill that day it will be roadsalad with trailmix unless you find a ring like elfboy. Or obtain a magic meatbox.
The war-mage gets up and looks around to see where his pack, horse and wheels are.
"For that matter, where is that lightweight?"
Not waiting for an answer he shouts loudly in dwarven for his horse to fall in line . Afterwards he rummages through his pack for some stone slabs and jerked meat. He then carefully studies the plates as he scarfs down the meat.

When Wergret arrives he takes of the tarp, and brushes her as he checks for cuts or other injuries. As well as cast a protective spell on himself and his steed.
Once the group is ready he affixes her to the cart once more and walks along

Endure Elements: 24 hours Yurkring, 12 hours Wergret[roll0]

TheFallenSon
2012-08-17, 12:11 PM
"Is it really so bothersome to see me a'natural my friend? I mean look at this physique I am a paragon a humanity a mark of pride among the spirits of my ancestors. It would be a crime, no a sin to keep this from the rest of Toril." he would flex during his little speech, and speak over a mouthful of Grubs and berries. And a bit of old hard biscuit.

"Yes, where is our friend the dragon man? Hmmm. Maybe he went to fetch the wagon. Who had the watch?".

begooler
2012-08-17, 11:24 PM
Ebla returns with a healthy serving of grubs and berries for everyone.

"Look what we've been provided this lucky morning!"

She then helps get the horse ready for the day's travel.

Zman
2012-08-18, 08:52 AM
As the group move out for th day they enter sight of the Aragon ahead, not four hours walk in total. Zaavariel had caught them before they had left for the day. Zaavariel greets the group, "Well met."

TheFallenSon
2012-08-18, 08:19 PM
Wethun would slap Zav on the back and gave the wagon a once over...this once over would include the three folks assigned to wagon duty. He was rather certain that at least one of those folks would probably meet one of Kelemvors servants soon. He muttered a quick prayer to all the gods under his breath. He may be a braggart and and seem cocksure and fancy free, but Wethun hated the part of his job that involved leaving companions behind. Everyman deserved to die old in his bed...not screaming for his mother in a ditch. He shook his head as dark thoughts flooded his mind for just a few moments, and the dark look he had adopted was replaced by his usual easy grin.

"I'm sure ol' Zav here has explained the nature of our endeavor, but I will have the walking talking anvil back there explain our plans in detail...to include the part you all will play.

Escheton
2012-08-19, 09:56 AM
"Bait. Pure and simple. The best way to find our quarry is to have them find us. So we need you lot to just cooperate with the robbers should you encounter them. They can't afford to just kill at each robbed wagon lest they attract attention from a force larger than themselves. So if you don't offer resistance and let them go about their business of looting the cart you should be safe. We will retrieve the stolen goods once we have taken care of them on our terms. After they have lightened the horses load, make sure to just continue along for a few miles so they don't get suspicious. We will come for you to retrieve your wares once we have done our business. Any questions?"

begooler
2012-08-19, 10:49 PM
Meanwhile, Ebla concerns herself with inspecting the wagon.

TheFallenSon
2012-08-21, 07:47 PM
Wethun hurries his companions into hiding, rushing the hired men into the wagon and assuming his place...he walks beside, the one peasant guardsman type. He would leave his more impressive weaponry and armor with his friends, donning some roughspun clothing and finding a suitable branch for a club...that plus a knife would round out his disguise. If need be he would blast, stab, and shatter his way to freedom. He smiled as he started to move away with the wagon. "Wish me luck mates, smoke me a kipper and I'll be back for breakfast."

begooler
2012-08-21, 07:57 PM
Ebla gives Wethun the goodberries she made this morning. "In case you don't have enough luck, these will help."

There are 6. Each one heals 1vp (or 1 wp if wounded). You can benefit from a total of 8 per day.

Ebla also converses for a moment with the elemental, that slips under the ground, remaining unseen, except to every now and then emerge partially just enough to let Wethun and the wagon team know its still following. It will stay under the wagon so as not to be noticed by someone else watching.

Zman
2012-08-21, 08:49 PM
As the grou discusses ther plan and Wethun puts on his disguise, two of the merchants canot help but stare at Vers, "What in the nine hells is that?"

Zaavariel responds with a familiar jab, "No worries, we've been asking ourselves the same question, he's tolerable enough."

TheFallenSon
2012-08-21, 09:56 PM
"Aye the Scarf isn't exactly easy on the eyes...but I once saw him sting and eat an ogre...ass first. I twas simply amazing. Any man capable of eating ogre arse is someone you want killing bandits...imagine what he does to the enemies he doesn't eat." He laughs as the wagon rolls away, waving warmly to his friends.