PDA

View Full Version : Tide of Evil Rising (IC)

DrK
2012-08-13, 04:46 PM
A Tide of Evil Rising

The walled city of York lies under a pall of thick coal and peat smoke mixing with dark and storm wracked grey skies above. The gusting wind and driving cold rain keeping the normally bustling streets to a much quieter level. The serried ranks of traders and rickety stalls creeping to the edges of the damp thatch and hunkering down in the filth in the slight shadows of the buildings.

Everywhere you look one can see refugees from the surrounding villages. Tales of dark spirits killing serfs and shadowy humanoids with cloven hooves and beastial heads feasting the flesh of the fallen, cruel beast people touched by the Dark Gods of the Underworld or the spawn of the frozen Hell depending on the religion one chooses to follow.

Even this late in the evening the bells of the Lightbringer's Temple tolls mournfully calling in the ever growing number of faithful. THe gentle tinkle of gold and silver donations adding to the Church's ever growing hold with Lord Jorvik. Closer to Lord Jorvik's keep the Bray horns of the Temple to the Old Gods call their own followers.

The taverns however ignore thei calls. The ale and mead flowing as saxons rub shoulders with tartan clad celts half their size and hulking norsicans drain horns of mead as fast as the bar maids can fill them. The forced joy drowning out the tension and worry in the streets beyond...

Feel free to post your entry into the Town and please ened up making your way towards either...

The Woad and Wain - cheap pub by the river
OR
The Red Lion - more expensive tavern populated by minor nobles and some of elven blood.

Void
2012-08-13, 05:54 PM
Through the strong winds and bitter cold Olaf seems to carry himself like one would expect of a man that has come from a much colder environment. He makes note as he travels the streets to the pubs to watch the interactions of the people of this town. He is specifically watching for petty thieves and other hoodlums. While he has no intent to interfere with the on goings of the town, he takes note to remember faces and gather information for future use.

He walks into Woad and Wain he sees to attaining a private room if one is still available otherwise he will wait to visit The Red Lion later in the evening. Then he visits the bar to gather a bit of information about the town. His current plan is to spend some time in this town, so tries to find if there is perhaps a recently abandon house (either from death or leaving the town) he might be able to usurp or perhaps another form of long term boarding.

Spot Check to see if he notices any pick pockets or thugs throughout the town as he walked through it.
[roll0]

Spot Check to see anything else unusual about the community.
[roll1]

Roguenewb
2012-08-13, 07:51 PM
Caelin

I walk the last stretch of the road leading towards York, speaking with the traveling farmer I've spent the day walking beside. I've sang the man some songs, and told the man many, many stories, and along the way, he's told me more about the current state of York than he realizes. I make careful note of where the poor farmer plans to spend his night, some pub called the Wood and the Wain...

I wonder...a town like this probably has it fair share of the cruel and evil, but these stories are so...shocking. As much as smallfolk of York could use a laugh tonight, I'm going to need the wider views of the Nobility. I think, watching the wooden palisade of the town grow slowly larger.

"I'm afraid, Bren, that I'm not going to York tonight. I fear that I might be better served in the south, where maybe I can find a town with better luck? *Small laugh* But, if I come to these parts again, I hope to find you in better times! Good-bye, and good luck in your work Bren. I say with a gracious smile, slowing from alongside his haywain. As soon as he starts to pull away, I activate my ring of invisibility, fading into the night's growing shadows, slip 10 gold into the small cubby of the haywain, and make my way to the walls of York.

I slip into the town, maintaining my ring's blessed illusion. Let's see what the rulers of this town have to say... And I make my way towards the Red Lion, keeping clear eyes out for any disturbances.

[roll0] Spot Check.

hierophant
2012-08-13, 09:08 PM
Benedict

After an uneventful few days travelling cross-country, Benedict switches to the road for the last few miles before entering York.
The tolling of the bells is a comforting sound, a reminder of more peaceful days in the monastery. But comfort must wait.
With a silent prayer to the Lightbringer, Benedict heads towards the Red Lion. For once, his mixed parentage may actually make life easier.

Spot Check: [roll0]

Toliudar
2012-08-14, 12:47 AM
Silene and Polk

"All right. Another half mile, and then we should land."

"But I like it better up here. It smells really bad down there. Like smoke. But not the nice smoke like from spruce that's been sitting out all winter or the flames that I shoot. Smoke that remembers what it used to be, when what it used to be was a rotting foot."

"Nevertheless, we should land soon. We'll be heading into a more heavily populated area, and not everyone knows that dragons like you are friendly. You wouldn't want to cause a panic, would you?"

"I suppose that the sight of a creature of such power and majesty might be misconstrued as aggression by some. Mama said that I was to exercise restraint in self-revelation, and that dragons had two eyes and two ears but only one mouth for two reasons."

"Oh, and what were those two reasons?"

"One, that wisdom was to be gained more from watching and listening than by talking. And two, that it's blessedly difficult to keep track of where your flame is going when it's coming out of two mouths."

The pair angle down into a glade just off the road, a bit ahead of their travelling companions. A moment later, the halfling woman emerges, walking next to a teeneaged boy with a mop of blonde hair and a long, oddly cut leather coat. Silene is walking stiffly, and eventually she gives up, abandons all hope of dignity, and asks for a hand up onto Polk's shoulder.

"Now remember our cover story. I'm the mysterious swordsman with a brooding manner and a tendancy to shout as I leap up and kick people. You're my comic sidekick."

"You don't have a sword. And I'm not your sidekick."

They rejoined the companions who had been travelling with them from the north. Silene pointed further down the road.

"We are perhaps two or three hours' walk to a city that's overhung with smoke. It must be York. It certainly matches the descriptions we have been hearing. There are storm clouds up ahead. I'm guessing it will be raining by the time we arrive."

Waiting to progress further until I'm clear on who might be travelling with these two. I'm assuming Saenry and Mailoc. Not so sure about Michelle.

OMG PONIES
2012-08-14, 07:51 AM
Michelle Easton

The changeling woman laughs--silently, as she always was in her natural form--at the exchange between Silene and Polk. She wonders what it must be like to have a friend like that, somebody who knows you so completely yet still accepts you as you are. However, she can't let her mind wander for too long, as her attention is drawn to the smoke in the city ahead. She closes her eyes and, with a deep sigh, begins to change form.

Her opalescent hair shimmers with flickers of red as if it is catching fire, then bursts into a rich crimson. Her lavender, almond-shaped eyes shrink and contort themselves as they take on a rich blue. Lastly, her gray skin fades to a pale white as she shrinks in size. Once she finally does speak, it is in the hacked Celtic accent of Adalia Three Trees.

"Right, that's York up ahead; I'm sure of it. We can nip into the Woad and Wain to ease the woes of the road and rain. Speaking of, think three hours is enough to beat the rains, then? she asks nobody in particular. She picks up a sprig of grass, tossing it to the wind and studying how it falls. "I can feel it mahself--rain's coming in bout ninety minutes. We'd best move quickly, then." Michelle waddles on in front of them, immersed in her current personality. It seemed the changeling always felt most comfortable in someone else's skin.

[roll0] to predict the weather.

Aptitude Focus: Wilderness
Floating Bonus feat: Craven

Menteith
2012-08-14, 10:54 AM
Mailoc

Polk, if you'd care for a sword, you're more than welcome to borrow mine. Mailoc smiles at the pair of them, and wraps his cloak around him more tightly. He glances at the threatening sky above them. Nothing wrong with a bit of dampness, but I'll admit, sleeping with a roof overhead would be nice tonight. Adalia, if you know of a decent inn, lead on.

Toliudar
2012-08-14, 12:22 PM
The young 'man' leaps at the offer of a sword, and darts over to Mailoc.

"Ooh! Thank you! That might be fun. So many of the humanoid men keep commenting on their prowess with a sword, comparing the sizes of their swords, wanting to poke them into things. Mama says that it's because their penises are not as large as dragon penises. I've never seen a men penis. What does yours look like? Does it go inside and outside like a dragon's? Can I see?"

He waves Mailoc's sword around experimentally, and seems to get the hang of it quite quickly.

"There. Now I am a dashing young hero."

Menteith
2012-08-14, 01:54 PM
Mailoc

Mailoc eyes him for a second, admirably struggles to maintain a straight face, and bursts into laugher. He recovers after a moment, and addresses Polk while wiping at his eyes. Yes, you certainly are. And as to your other questions, well, I can't say that it isn't true for some men. Ahem. If you'd like to learn a bit more about human anatomy, I'll see if I can find you a book or something a bit less.... Another laugh threatens to interrupt him, but he composes himself, and continues. Anyway, this falchion isn't a "poking" sword, it's a cleaver. Not an elegant weapon, and it takes a lot of room to use properly, but very effective. It's also handy for chopping through brush, or in this adamantine weapon's case, buildings and walls.

DrK
2012-08-14, 02:15 PM
The Road Outside

As Michelle expects the rain begins soon the driving sleet and wind a potent combination to bring misery to weary travellers. Even ones as bawdy as Polk. The gates of the city loom high above you soon as the guards huddle in their guard house avoiding the weather.
"Tuppence for foot travellers" the weary guards mention holding their hand out for the 2 coppers from each member of the quartet.

The heavy wooden gates creak open slightly as Silene, Mailoc, Polk and Michelle squeeze through the partially ajar gates that will soon be closed as night drapes it scary cloak around the city and terror and trouble stalk the wooded hills and apple laden orchards.

Walking up the streets they can all see the thieves, beggars and refugees that fill the nigh soil laden alleys but despite the grim sights and the smells the welcoming squeal of bagpipes and cheering of ale drinking draws you onwards to the Wode - the busy and large tavern juts off the main market square. A towering 4 storey edifice with large stables and a yard filled with merchants' wagson around the back of it.

As Mailoc swings open the door the busy taproom quitens slightly as the 4 strangely garbed adventurers are witnessed entering. The mass of labourers and off duty guards giving hard stares, a smattering of celts and Norsemen likewise looking surprised...

Woad and Wain

He walks into Woad and Wain he sees to attaining a private room if one is still available otherwise he will wait to visit The Red Lion later in the evening. Then he visits the bar to gather a bit of information about the town. His current plan is to spend some time in this town, so tries to find if there is perhaps a recently abandon house (either from death or leaving the town) he might be able to usurp or perhaps another form of long term boarding.

Olaf pushing through the town's filth strewn streets can see the evidence of the rising trouble in the town. The gangs of strongarms and thugs lurking in the shadows. THe ragged youngsters with quick hands and sharp knives- both signs of a town on the edge.

Pushing through the muck strewn streets, hurrying slightly as the rain begins to fall more heavily he soon reaches the loud and raucous door to the Woad and Wain. The sound hits the heavy set Norseman like a wave, the smell of mead and ale, the shouts of conversation and rattle of dice competing with the faint singing of a bard on the stage - the young red haired celtic girl, barely 2ft tall balanced on the table dancing and singing lustily as her companion blows hard a skirling rythm on the bagpipes.

The crowded interior - mostly rough coated labourers and mailed off duty guardsmen move out of the way for Olaf as he pushes his way to the bar. The busy wench grunting a brief acknowledgement before pushing across the horn of ale. "No rooms norseman. For shilling (5sp) you can be having a space in the straw above the stable out back. Its dry and warm". With that she whirls away serving a pair of heavy set builders beside Olaf.

A moment later the doors creak open as another strange bevy of adventuring types push in. Clad in mail, steel and bedecked with weapons. The noise of the tavern quietens slightly as the doors swing open. Something about one of the women in their midst looking familiar...

Red Lion

Caelin

I slip into the town, maintaining my ring's blessed illusion. Let's see what the rulers of this town have to say... And I make my way towards the Red Lion, keeping clear eyes out for any disturbances.

Benedict

After an uneventful few days travelling cross-country, Benedict switches to the road for the last few miles before entering York.
The tolling of the bells is a comforting sound, a reminder of more peaceful days in the monastery. But comfort must wait.
With a silent prayer to the Lightbringer, Benedict heads towards the Red Lion. For once, his mixed parentage may actually make life easier.

Benedict quickly reaches the gates and after handing across a couple of coppers enters the town. The welcome evensong of the Temple's bells a suggestion that some element of civilisation resides in the town.

Moving switly and gracefully he slides towards the North end of the town where the streets are a little cleaner and the clientelle a little more friendly where he won't have to cover the long ears that give away his heritage.

The delicate sounds of a truejenn blowing a delicate and jaunty tune attract his attention to an Inn termed the the Lion d'or a roaring red lion on the sign. The doors swing opne smoothly and the faint smell of garlic and lamb wash over you as a large fire crackles in a hearth and a young girl blows on the elven pipes in a pleasing manner. All around you you can see the grace of your people and the Parisien tongue being spoken. It feels, as much as possible, like a slice of home. As you stand in the doorway a young maid approaches with a gentle courtsey. "Bonsoir, may I take your cloak. Would you care for some wine?"

Even as she leads you to a seat no-one really notices the door opening and shutting behind Benedict - must be the wind and no-one came in.

Roguenewb
2012-08-14, 03:15 PM
Caelin

A still tongue is a sure sign of a moving mind as my father used to say... I think, wryly. Looking and listening around the bar provide little immediate insight. Getting a whole crowd to talk about a single topic is never easy...You'd think I'd have learned learned to expect that by now... I think, with an amused little sigh.

I look around the bar for a suitable dark corner, and a suitably drunk patron, though those two need not be in the same place. Once I've found what I'm looking for, I step into the darkness, and dismiss the magic of my lucky ring, appearing in the shadows while trying to hide myself as best I can.

Hide check (to help reduce the suddeness of dropping invisibility) [roll1d20+4[/roll]

I approach the drunken elven woman at the side booth. "Bonjour madame. Have you seen a friend of mine? A tall man with bright white hair and a bold scar across half his face?" I project the confidence and friendliness I have learned and practiced in a hundred bars in hundred duchies across Britain. She'll enjoy the company, and no one was ever hurt by a white lie...

Diplomacy [roll0]

Chambers
2012-08-14, 03:20 PM
Saerny

Human cities were all the same. Too many people, too many buildings. Saerny pulled his cloak tighter around him and scooted his seat closer to the fireplace. Not like a proper burrow. The halfling had been in the city since the morning, waiting for Silene in a miserable tavern named the Woad and Wain. Not a decent drink either.

He kept his distance from the cityfolk and they from him. Don't know why we have to meet here anyway. Damn bells ringing all hours - oh. The open door blows in the wind and rain and Saerny shivers for a moment. He stands up, then looks around him and realizes most everyone is twice his height, then sits back down. They'll come by the fire soon enough.

Sorry for the late arrival, didn't catch the IC thread was up.

Void
2012-08-14, 06:13 PM
Olaf takes note of the new folks that entered. Though as he can’t quite place what seemed familiar about the woman yet, he decided to give his memory a chance to kick in before approaching them. He takes his drink by the fire place. There he noticed the halfling (Saenry) huddling by the fire. He sits not too far from him and says, “I see the weather disagrees with you little one. I would tend to agree for where I come from we do not have this sleet as the Saxons call it. The weather has the decency to either rain or snow, not both.” Olaf then takes a drink and holds silence to let the halfing decide if he wants to enter conversation or not.

Togo
2012-08-15, 04:13 AM
Kurn arrives at the Wode and Wain:

York was huge. Dozens of houses, more people than he could count. At first he thought he must have come in on market day, but there wasn't a market. Just people. Everywhere.

Boris...

Yeah?

Did we... is that how it's supposed to go?

Healing is a difficult art to master. Remember old Cuuthric used to say that the hardest part was dealing with the people?

The huts were strange. Larger, more sturdy. Stone. Either these people really liked tall cealings, or there were multiple floors in there. He'd been in a tower once, and was suitably impressed, but here they were building up because there was no room to the sides. It was, incredible.

Kurn wondered if he'd ever get see the inside of one.

Yes.. I just expected them to be, well, a little more...

Grateful?

Um... Happy. I mean we did heal her, right? We did it properly, we followed all Cuuthric's recipies and steps.

Absolutely. Everything according to the ancient lore. Hedgehog teeth for weak eyes. A cough, so singed hedgehod bristles for that. There was that rash, that had to go, and of course she had a case of the rattles, so hedgehog fat and hedgehog claws for those two...

More people, different people, drifted by. He'd given up trying to memorise them all. Talking to eachother. They were heading to the big hut at the end of the row, the one with the warm light and the smoke that made his stomach growl. He was, he realised, actually going to have to face these people.

...for the hair, terrible condition that was in, and then those small wounds on the face of course...

Maybe it would go better if he didn't heal anyone this time.

Boris, do you think maybe we shouldn't have tried to cure them all at once?

He could feel the spirit regarding that statement from all angles, like a cat faced with an unfamiliar fish.

But.. that was the beauty of it! We had a hedgehog. We might as well use it all in one go!

I'm just thinking... maybe we weren't supposed to use the whole animal. I think we were supposed to use bits. I mean, that bit where we rub hedgehog fat on her rash.

Yeah? Well we did. That hedgepig was definitely on the pudgy side. Ok, so she got a few spines stuck in her arm, but I'm sure that took her mind right off things.

I think... we were supposed to just use the fat.

Well, you can't do that unless you, ha, cut the poor thing open.

Yes.

Oh. Ew!

I think healing is supposed to be Ew. I think there's a lot of Ew involved.

But that would kill the hedgepiggy! Besdies, how are you going to heal people using bits of dead animal?

Kurn sighed, and shifted his weight. It seemed like there were a lot of things that he hadn't been told, a lot of things that went unsaid.

Maybe there's stuff we need to know. Back home, the midwife used a lot of hot water, but I never could figure out...

Oh that, that's easy. You boil water to keep it clean.

Really? Kurn hadn't thought about how to clean water. Washing it, he realised, had a certain impracticality about it.

Sure. I don't know why they needed it clean though. Maybe a stork is a very fussy animal?

Kurn digested this new information. Sometimes Boris was very enlightening to have around.

Anyway, she didn't start screaming until we tried to get her to swallow the hedgehog claws.

That's because the hedgehog wouldn't fit in her mouth.

It did fit! Eventually. It's not my fault it wouldn't stop struggling. Besides we took it out again.

Eventually.

Well yeah, hedgehog spines are really tricky that way. We still cured her of everything. You're just upset because her family got, well, a bit excited. Testy.

Numerous. Heavily armed.

Well that too. But don't worry. I think we lost the mob on that turning just after the bridge. They've not been down here in over an hour...

So I can get out of this barrel?

Sure, why not?

Kurn hauled himself out of the sturdy, rapidly filling, rain barrel, and stood there dripping. He looked like he'd just waded the river, but then it was raining anyway. Other than that he was remarkably intact. He straightened his clothing, untangled the clay spirit vials that hung from his elven bow, and wound his best feathers back into his braided hair. There, every inch the civilised man! He supressed a little frisson of excitement as he headed for the inn door. York! Nothing could possibly go wrong now.

OMG PONIES
2012-08-15, 06:44 AM
Michelle Easton

The shapechanger smiles as she eyes Saerny sitting alone. "No comfort quite like that of a familiar face, am I right?" she asks with a smile. However, her smile freezes in place, making it quite apparent that she wishes to remove it as Olaf joins the halfling. "Make that two familiar faces," she mutters through her teeth so only her companions can hear. "I know that damned Norseman from a job. For now, I am Adalia and nothing but, savvy?" she asks those with her.

Michelle had a creeping feeling that Olaf had known her true nature when last they met, but she wasn't sure. She had felt that she was being followed and, when she activated her Detect Thoughts ability, could have sworn she heard Olaf's mind over the chatter of the crowd she hid within. However, he had never come to call so she had thought it another figment, another phantom fear from too much time on assignment.

But now, here he was once more. Michelle's Detect Thoughts had been screaming at her since they entered the city, and the bar was no different. However, she had long ago learned to focus it on individuals, tuning out the pedestrian cacophony in order to hear the inmost being of the one she was truly interested in. She focuses the cone of the spell on Olaf, and picks up a distinct sensation of confusion, underpinned by a moment of...recognition?

Olaf must make a DC 20 Will save vs Detect Thoughts, but I'm just trying to pick up the fact that he remembers her. I figured that would be enough, but if not she can take 10 on Sense Motive for a result of 30, allowing her to gain a sense of the social situation.

Void
2012-08-15, 08:40 AM
Michelle sees Olaf is sympathetic toward the halfling Saenry, but even then she can tell he appears to be working something out in his mind. As Michelle works her magic to read into thoughts the initial noise of the room slips away as she begins to focus onto the Norseman she knows as Olaf. Although her focus is keen, Olaf seems to have closed his mind to any intrusion and it would appear his secrets would remain his for the night. From what she remembers about the man though is he tends to wear his emotion on his sleeve and she might feel if he out right recognized her it would likely be more apparent.

Chambers
2012-08-15, 11:37 AM
Saerny

The norseman towering over Saerny catches him a bit by surprise. The halfling looks up for a moment and then chooses to scoot his chair against the wall so he doesn't have to crane his head to see the large man. Despite his ill mood a hint of smile appears at Olaf's talk of the weather. If he's complaining about the Saxons he can't be all bad...

"I'll drink to that." Saerny says and raises his mug to the norseman's. "You mentioned home. Where are you from...if you don't mind the question." Saerny asks as his eyes flicker over the norseman's body, taking in his huge bulk and looking for weapons.

Toliudar
2012-08-15, 01:28 PM
After nearly slicing off a finger while experimenting with Mailoc's 'cut-through-anything' blade, Polk thinks better of carrying it, and returns it with a curt bow to the holy swordsman. Polk opts instead to be a 'master of foot and elbow'

York is a source of considerable consternation to Silene. She hands over the coppers for Polk and herself from a purse clutched in a miserly hand, and her hand rests suspiciously on her belt knife whenever they are approached too closely by a local. Not only were these people unconscionably large, but they smelled appallingly badly.

Entering the Woad and Wain, Polk is hard pressed to decide what to be fascinated by first. He had been hearing about Saxon taverns for some time. They were places of some mystery. Places where strangers met and brawled. Or met and fell in love. Or met and decided to do business together. Business was another complex and nebulous concept that she was excited to be exploring. But for now...a tavern.

Silene stays close to Michelle, and nods silently as she makes her public identity clear.

"As you wish. And...you mean the big man with Saerny?"

She still didn't know what to make of Saerny. The older halfling had certainly proven himself capable, both as a traveller and a warrior, but he spoke with such care. And yet here he was, as arranged, and had even managed to strike up a conversation with strangers.

Polk darted immediately towards the bar, occupying the space so recently vacated by Olaf. His accent betrayed their northern origins, plus more than a hint of a strangeness all Polk's own.

"Excuse me. Do you have mead?"

Void
2012-08-15, 01:35 PM
As Saerny looks over the tall norseman, he notices while strong his muscles are not the bulky kind. Rising from his back Saerny would notice the hilts of two finely crafted scimitars rising; not cross hatched. Both hilts with a wolf head on the base, one made of black opal and the other of white pearl. Olaf leans forward in his seat a bit so the halfling does not have to crane to much to look at him. "The northern fjords.", he says with a smile as to assume everyone knows of the cold sliver like bodies of water along the coast of Norway. "No shortage of snow and ice there. My name is Olaf, son of Gunner. It is nice to meet you little one. What about you?" Leaving the last question a bit open to either be about Saerny name or home. Olaf figures he should let the halfling lead the conversation as Olafs foreign nature often confuses or intimidates folks.

Toliudar
2012-08-15, 01:37 PM
After nearly slicing off a finger while experimenting with Mailoc's 'cut-through-anything' blade, Polk thinks better of carrying it, and returns it with a curt bow to the holy swordsman. Polk opts instead to be a 'master of foot and elbow'

York is a source of considerable consternation to Silene. She hands over the coppers for Polk and herself from a purse clutched in a miserly hand, and her hand rests suspiciously on her belt knife whenever they are approached too closely by a local. Not only were these people unconscionably large, but they smelled appallingly badly.

Entering the Woad and Wain, Polk is hard pressed to decide what to be fascinated by first. He had been hearing about Saxon taverns for some time. They were places of some mystery. Places where strangers met and brawled. Or met and fell in love. Or met and decided to do business together. Business was another complex and nebulous concept that she was excited to be exploring. But for now...a tavern.

Silene stays close to Michelle, and nods silently as she makes her public identity clear.

"As you wish. And...you mean the big man with Saerny?"

She still didn't know what to make of Saerny. The older halfling had certainly proven himself capable, both as a traveller and a warrior, but he spoke with such care. And yet here he was, as arranged, and had even managed to strike up a conversation with strangers.

Polk darted immediately towards the bar, occupying the space so recently vacated by Olaf. His accent betrayed their northern origins, plus more than a hint of a strangeness all Polk's own.

"Excuse me. Do you have mead?"

Menteith
2012-08-15, 01:57 PM
Mailoc

Of course, Adalia. I'll see to our rooms, and will join you by the fire shortly. I'll see if I can find something to eat, as well. And just out of curiosity...has Polk ever had alcohol before?

Toliudar
2012-08-15, 02:34 PM
Silene's face swivels up to Mailoc's at the question. It freezes into a mask for a moment before it reveals a flicker of...well, not quite fear, but something closer to the meltdown that occurs when the sheer number of variables suddenly expands beyond the mind's ability to compute them.

The halfling defender shoots towards the bar, slides deftly between legs and spaces in the crowded and dirty room, and seems to reappear next to Polk.

"Milk! She means, do you have milk!"

Polk gazes down at Silene, puzzled.

"No I don't. But I can order one for you if you like."

Turning back to the harried publican, Polk smiles broadly.

"One mead and one milk, please!"

DrK
2012-08-15, 04:13 PM
The WOad and Wain

THe packed soon returns to normal with the bagpipes drowned out by the chatter and commotion of the bar. THe arrival of a couple more celts soon attracts attention as a few hands move to knife hilts - or in the case of the wiser ones their belt pouches.

The barmaid looks at Polk at his companion wordlessly sliding Polk ahorn of mead and proferring a small horn mug towards Silene.

As you settle into the Woad the buzz of conversation surounds you as you can start to hear snippets... "bandits raiding from the hills. They tain't normal"... "like me with heads of cows and beasts they was".... Sir Agravain you reckon, no ways he was with that sort of ceremony"... "Don't be talking about Slough Feg in here. I'm a man of the Light I am".....

Togo
2012-08-15, 08:07 PM
Kurn pauses. The taproom is full. So full that a dancer has to be on the table, and the thirsty sawdust on the floor was getting sated on spilled drink and tracked in water. At first he simply tries squeezing through the press. This leads to a disasterous start in which he hooks a chair and a burly man with a leather apron, both of which he then has to return.

After that he holds his longbow before him like a staff, and keeps another on his possessions, and manages to make progress towards the bar. Boris eagerly shows him the easiest route, which is helpful, even if it seems a bit of a long way to go. Even then he has to keep stopping, to remove his club from pressing into someone's back, to untangle the leather loops of his charms from someone's drinking arm and to remove someone's hand which had somehow got tangled up with his belt pouch. Still, everyone seems good humoured about it, so he says as little as possible and moves on.

He shoots a hungry glance towards the fire, where his wet clothes would dry more quickly, but past experience told him that going straight to the fire would raise eyebrows, and if he raised too many eyebrows he'd somehow find himself outside in the rain again. Buying a drink would act as eyebrow repellant, provided he held it high and didn't actually finish it. Drink first, then fire.

And he had to talk to people. He needed to choose the right person, he decided, as he neared the bar itself. He paused slightly, to let a halfling in a hurry dash past. Someone who would listen, and give good advice. Someone important. He scans the crowd. He settled on a young man, almost his own age, who was gravely giving advice to that same hasty halfing, about what to drink. His air of natural authority and wisdom makes him the obvious choice, and the familiar Iceni accent so far from home reassures him that he's chosen well.

Kurn approaches Polk, the clay charms dangling from notches in his longbow clattering as he rests it carefully on his own foot. He smiles, whisps a beaded braid from his face, and speaks.

Hi, I'm wet.

Introduction out of the way, he presses on.

So, what's good to drink here?

Sensing that something was still missing, he tries to explain.

I just need to ward off some eyebrows.

He smiles at the halfling too for good measure, glad that he's not the only one who has to seek advice.

Toliudar
2012-08-16, 12:16 AM
Polk had just received a horn brimming with a thick amber fluid, and bent to fumble for coins in his pouch. Reaching up, Silene snags the horn and holds it out to Kurn, swapping it out for the small wooden mug that she had just been handed.

"Here! Try the mead."

Polk either doesn't notice the switch, or doesn't mind, as he slides a silver coin across the bar. He gives Kurn a cursory examination.

"You certainly are wet. Were you attacked by the Ouse? You should try taking off all of your clothes and rolling in dry sand."

Polk steps away from the bar, sipping the milk, and walks over to Saerny. Meanwhile Silene nods up at Kurn, inexplicably grateful for the interruption.

"Saerny! This is a big place. Do you think that they wanted it to smell like this, or if the smoke and sweat thing happened accidentally?"

hierophant
2012-08-16, 04:22 AM
With a smile, Benedict hands over his cloak.
"Merci. No wine tonight, but the lamb smells delicious. A warm meal to take the edge off the chill would be most appreciated."
Taking his seat at the table, he keeps his eyes and ears open, content to observe the surroundings before approaching anyone.

Anyone/thing of note - mainly looking for people worth approaching for information.
Spot: [roll0]
Listen: [roll1]

OMG PONIES
2012-08-16, 06:17 AM
Michelle Easton

Adalia maintains her smile, but behind the mask of flesh Michelle is cursing her continually worsening luck. First the Norseman had struck up a conversation with Saerny, and now that peculiar seer was here. It's not that she was unhappy to see him--after all, Kurn had saved her life when the other healers and holy men had been too busy saving their own. It was just that too many people from her past gathering in the same place tended to be a bad thing; she still didn't know how she had gotten the halflings and the Saxon to not execute her on the spot, much less allow her to travel with them. Even still, the little woman does not allow her smile to fade as her eyes scan the crowd and her mind scans their thoughts.

Maintaining concentration on Detect Thoughts, targeting each individual in the crowd (or as many as I can). Will save DC 20 from each to avoid having surface thoughts read.

Togo:
As Kurn's gaze falls upon the redheaded woman at the bar with his new companions, he is struck by a vision. Standing in her place, he instead sees a bloodied dwarf ordering a tankard of ale. The face is the familiar one of Winston Wolff. He turns to Kurn and raises his glass for a toast, at which point the seer notices that the dwarf has almond-shaped, lavender eyes. No matter which way the dwarf turns or how Kurn directs his gaze, the eyes match his gaze and follow his every motion.

Floating above the crowd, there is a shadowy, out-of-focus figure that seems to hover around the dwarf, watching his every move. Thin lines of pure darkness connect the dwarf to the hands of the figure hovering overhead, almost as if Winston was a living marionette. As Kurn tries to focus his eyes on the shadowy figure, the rest of the room goes out of focus. He tries to pick up some detail in the figure, but finds none. Suddenly, the entire vision is gone as quickly as it had appeared.

Togo
2012-08-16, 08:22 AM
Kurn accepts the offered drink with joy.

Oh thank you.

He glances over towards the fire. Then raises his mug.

I've got one, thanks! He calls cheerfully.

He stares for a moment, then looks down.

So, um.. Iceni? I'm from that way myself. Ah.. Hold on.

He carefully spills a few drops from his mug onto the floor. Once, twice, done.

There you go, now stop complaining. So.. He looks back to Silene. Um.. But now you don't have a drink?

He looks a little panicky.

You gave me your drink and now you don't have one. The eyebrows will get you and then you'll be out in the rain, and it will be all my fault! What's that?

He tilts his head to one side, as if listening.

Well, yes, I could do that, but then we'd each only have half a mug, that wouldn't... Yes, ok, it might look the same from the side, that's true, but for a proper warding you need a mug that isn't empty, right, and once you cut the mug in half then it won't stay... No Boris, why don't I just rent another mug, and that will come with a drink in it, and then we'll all have one...

He gives the barmaid the frantic wave guarenteed to be ignored by all barstaff everywhere.

Well yes, apart from you, but you just had some of this one and last time I got you your own mug you barely drank anything. Oh. Yes, thank you m'lady, I would like a drink please. What kind?

His eyes cross. This was getting technical. Inspiration strikes

I'd like, he announces gravely. another one of these. Only fuller, he adds. For the halfling here.

He looks down at Silene.

Sorry, did you want to go back to the fireside?

Toliudar
2012-08-16, 10:49 AM
Silene had had several months of intensive non sequitur training with Polk, watching a nimble mind bounce from idea to idea like a grasshopper that had fallen into a vat of beer. So it was that she was able, now, to simply nod twice, and try ineffectually to wave off the offer of a drink.

"You are very kind. I'm not all that thirsty. Just in from the rain ourselves, after all."

She gestures to her own clothes. The dress and cloak clung to her, but not quite as heavily as Kurn's clothes.

"I'm afraid I haven't been to the fire yet, but I see a, a friend over there at that table. Perhaps you'll join us for a little? It might help with the, ah, eyebrows. If that means what I think it means. I'm sorry, I forget the forms of your southern address. Is it appropriate to ask you in this way? Oh! I was told about this."

Solemnly, she extends her right hand, palm up.

"I am Silene Dragonward. There is pleasure in meeting you."

Chambers
2012-08-16, 11:02 AM
Saerny

Saerny's own weapons aren't quite as impressive as the norseman's. An unstrung short bow seems to be tied to the halflings pack that's on the floor next to him. There's a small hunting knife at his waist but it'd be a poor weapon in a fight. Saerny nods to Olaf and says "Saerny Underbough. I'm from a small tribe, a fair travel that way." He nods his head in a vague direction that could as easily mean west or simply outside the door. He looks as if he's about to ask some question of the norseman but Polk interrupts him.

He waits a moment before replying and looks at the space around Polk then back to him. "Not intentional, I'm sure. You get too many in one place and they just let these things happen." He's not really clear about what he's referring to but Polk knows from their past encounters he's most likely dispairing the humans. "Olaf and I were discussing our homes. Where were you from again?" He says with a hint of a smile, knowing that Polk knows that Saerny knows where he's from.

Toliudar
2012-08-16, 11:57 AM
Polk's head tilts, considering Saerny's information and the messages it seems to contain. For such tiny mayflies, bipeds had incredibly complex communications systems. He smiles and moves closer to the norseman, the better to examine his beard. Beards were fascinating! What must it feel like to have hundreds of tiny spikes growing out of your face? She should really try turning into something with a beard next time.

"I...live with [APPROPRIATE RACIAL DESCRIPTIVE NAME HERE] tribe to the north. It is a beautiful place. The ratio of trees to people is significantly better thought out. The cod is very tasty. Olaf, what is your home like?"

Menteith
2012-08-16, 02:09 PM
Mailoc

Mailoc begins to make his way to the fire, slowing and then stopping as he hears the gossip in the tavern room. The fire could wait - if there was trouble about the city, he'd best learn as much as he could. He scans the room in vain for a friendly face, before deciding to make do with the conversation at the bar. He waits for a lull in the conversation, before seating himself and speaking. Has York not been spared the troubles that plague the rest of the land? I've heard little more than rumors; what's happened?

Togo
2012-08-16, 03:58 PM
Pleasure? Is there? Kurn asks, startled. He places his palm face down, in formal greeting, and looks into her eyes. For a moment, all is still. Then the chatter of the crowd brings him round.

Oh.. well yes, by all means we should visit the fire. They're quite good at making wet things dry, you know. I could see if we can get some help there. But.. yes, I'd be happy to join you both. If.. if that's ok?

DrK
2012-08-16, 04:17 PM
Mailoc

Mailoc begins to make his way to the fire, slowing and then stopping as he hears the gossip in the tavern room. The fire could wait - if there was trouble about the city, he'd best learn as much as he could. He scans the room in vain for a friendly face, before deciding to make do with the conversation at the bar. He waits for a lull in the conversation, before seating himself and speaking. Has York not been spared the troubles that plague the rest of the land? I've heard little more than rumors; what's happened?

The guardsman beside him glances over, taking in the heavy steel and the weapons and sensing a kindred soul. He takes a heavy glug of his ale before speaking to Mailoc. "Aye. Plenty of trouble there be I'm afraid. May Don set the fire of the gods in my piss if I'm lying." Taking another sip of his ale he continues, "Shadows at night, beggars going missing and the guards they be dying regularly. Some say the sewers, some say they come creeping out the noble disrict. Me... I say its the scum of Slough Feg that seep out and try and get us."

He looks up at Mailoc. "You look like you can be handling yourself in a fight. You wanting some work?"

Even as the heroes and travellors begin to settle in the rain intensifies outside the sound penetrating the heavy walls of the taverns - both the common and the fancy. The smell to those near the doors changing slightly as a sulphurous grave stench begins to creep in through the open windows leaving people wrinkling noses and pulling harder on their pipes.

Menteith
2012-08-16, 04:51 PM
If I can help, I will. What do you have in mind?

Void
2012-08-16, 06:18 PM
Olaf smiles at the teenage boy, not quite sure what to make of him. ”It is much colder there this time of year. While it sits along the North Sea, the oceans have carved out narrow bodies of water that go on for miles. Surrounded by hills and high peaks. During the summer these waters can be still as glass and reflect an image of the mountains around them. The fishing is better than you will find anywhere else, Cod, Herring, Halibut and many more varieties. As fall comes the waters turn into a rich blue before icing over. Olaf looks as if he is about to ask a question when the smell from outside catches him off guard. He blinks his eyes as to clear the water that rose with the stench. Looking at Saerny and Polk, ”That is unusual, normally a fresh rain washes away the smells of dirt ridden cities." Shifting to a window he looks outside, but does not break away enough from his new company to prevent the conversation from continuing.

DrK
2012-08-22, 08:58 PM
If I can help, I will. What do you have in mind?

The guard looks at Malloc tiredly. well me boy. Either join the guard or head out of town and wipe out these dammed monsters. Lord Jorvik has a bounty on them."

As he drinks the smell from outside wafts over to you slowly. The rotting stench slowly curdling your drinks as the guard paled. A whispered Bel preserve me. Not this again!

Olaf smiles at the teenage boy, not quite sure what to make of him. ”It is much colder there this time of year. While it sits along the North Sea, the oceans have carved out narrow bodies of water that go on for miles. Surrounded by hills and high peaks. During the summer these waters can be still as glass and reflect an image of the mountains around them. The fishing is better than you will find anywhere else, Cod, Herring, Halibut and many more varieties. As fall comes the waters turn into a rich blue before icing over. Looking at Saerny and Polk, ”That is unusual, normally a fresh rain washes away the smells of dirt ridden cities." Shifting to a window he looks outside, but does not break away enough from his new company to prevent the conversation from continuing.

Looking outside he can see thick fog oozing down the street like a living form. The heavy greenish vapours glowing with a dull green inner light. As you glance through the shutters you can see people scattering from the clouds path, but some that are too slow becoming ensnared by the copying mist.... Then the screaming begins. Screams of anguish that cut through the jovial inn leaving a sullen and scared silence as the chorus of screams outside grows...

Void
2012-08-22, 09:49 PM
With a stunned look Olaf stands swiftly drawing his sword in the same motion. He says ”Trouble” before weaving past the crowd with speed and motion you would imagine in a nimble dancer not a man his size. As he steps to through the door he vanishes for a moment before reappearing. For those that follow Olaf through the portal notice the vanishing is re-occurring. Olaf evaluates the condition before he steps closer to what appears to be an insubstantial cloud.

Blink (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/blink.htm) Activated

Check to see a substantial target with in the cloud,
Spot Check:
1d20+6

Check to see if there is a way to break what is ensnaring the innocent folks,
Spot Check:
1d20+6

If the guards follow outside with or behind Olaf, ”What is going on here?”. He states with a determined look on his face.

Added in Edit Sorry, dont know why the dice roller did not work. Feel free to roll for me table or with board roller if it is working again.

Menteith
2012-08-22, 10:27 PM
Mailoc forces his way through the crowd, heading for the door. He bursts out onto the street immediately behind Olaf, surveys the situation and quickly comes to a decision.

OOC
Depending on what's going on, Mailoc will take different actions.

- If there are multiple victims of the mist still alive, he will activate his Sacred Healing feat to grant all living creatures within 60ft Fast Healing 3 for 7 rounds, hoping that it'll buy him enough time to reach them or for them to get away.

- If he can only see/hear a single victim in the mist, he'll immediately enter it and attempt to carry them out.

- If there are no living victims that he can see/hear, and there is an overt physical threat (a creature that he can engage or an active spell effect) that he can see, he will cast Shield Other (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/shieldOther.htm) on Olaf and move to support him

- If none of the above conditions apply, he'll take a different action based on what he sees

OMG PONIES
2012-08-23, 05:50 AM
Michelle Easton

Following the lead of her traveling companions, the tiny halfling woman runs toward the door. As she moves, she focuses her detect thoughts cone on the approaching cloud, hoping to ferret out what waits within. Her size remains the same, but her features change. Her face loses the childlike innocence of the halflings, instead growing ever paler and more angular. In a matter of seconds, Adalia Three Trees is gone, replaced instead by one of the Dark Creepers that lurk in underground passages.

Michelle moves to join the party, using her Change Shape ability to morph into a Dark Creeper (Fiend Folio) for small size and +2d6 to her sneak attack.

[roll0]

Togo
2012-08-23, 10:12 AM
Kurn wears a puzzled frown on his face, but that doesn't make him move any more slowly. He reacts to the general rush for the door by following, drawing his charm-tangled longbow as he does so. He then takes station by the door, and peers into the gloom, trying to see what's out there.

spot[roll0]

Whoa!

Initiative rolled on OOC thread as 21.

DrK
2012-08-23, 02:44 PM
The rolling yellowish cloud engulfs the stragglers and refugees that stood on the street. Where the mist touches a human it coils around them their flesh bubbling off in streamers of molten skin leaving yellowing bone and tattered slime beneath...

As the wave of fog rolls towards the fog a massive shadowy shape can be seen at its heart, the source of the foulness. Maggots, slime and pitted craters in street behind the wall of mist.

Only Kurn can see the creature within the mist...

http://mythicmktg.fileburst.com/war/us/home/images/newsletter/2008_08/Chaos_NPC_NURGLE_DEMON_PRINCE.jpg

The creature a being of such horror that his mind recoils in a primal terror...
Even as the fog clou continues to fill the street the shape within halts - pausing as if surveying the creatures outside the Inn

Kurn please make a DC 25 Will save or be shaken for [roll0] rounds

To All

You are outside the Inn, the road if ~20ft wide to the street that meets you and the creature is coming down a 15ft wide street.

The fog cloud is 30ft away and 20ft high and thick and toxic and yellow. The shape within the fog cloud is ~30ft tall, 15ft wide and 50ft away.

All PC's can havea round to act thenthe bad guy goes.

Chambers
2012-08-23, 03:12 PM
Saerny

The halfling looks confused at Olaf. "You mean it doesn't always smell like that?" When the screams start he realizes somethings wrong and takes his bow from his pack, quickly stringing it. Grabbing a fistful of short arrows from his quiver he knuckles three of them and lays them across his bow. He walks over to the window and hops up on a small table near it. Nudging the shutters open with his bow he takes a quick outside and curses in halfling, something about Fenrir and certain improbable anatomical properties of the savage god. He looks back at Silene and nods towards the street. "Something outside. Want to stay or leave?" He says as he glances back outside into the fog, bringing his bow up and sighting for a moment before letting all three arrows fly at once.

Move: Combing a move with drawing his bow.
Swift Action: Cast Swift Haste that lasts [roll0] rounds
Standard: Greater Manyshot at the shape in the mist.

Not sure what the creature is, so rolling Skirmish damage just in case.
The arrows are a Force effect that automatically overcome damage reduction and suffer no miss chance versus incorporeal targets.

Initiative [roll1]

Attack [roll2]
Damage [roll3]
Skirmish Damage [roll4]

Attack [roll5]
Damage [roll6]
Skirmish Damage [roll7]

Attack [roll8]
Damage [roll9]
Skirmish Damage [roll10]

Saerny
HP: 82/82
AC: 34
F/R/W: +13/+20/+10

Current Spells/Effects: Swift Haste, Improved Skirmish

Menteith
2012-08-23, 04:30 PM
Mailoc moves to position himself between the shadowy figure and the rest of the group, readying himself and his gear with a practiced casualness that could only have come from years of experience. He murmurs a prayer as he runs, beseeching Bel to watch over and protect those who would stand against this evil.

Actions occur on Initiative 3
Mailoc moves between Saerny and the creature, drawing his sword and activating his Animated shield as he moves. When he reaches the location, he will cast Mass Conviction, granting every friendly target outside of the inn a +3 moral bonus on all Saves for the next 70 minutes.

@Kurn; if you're making a save against Fear, remember that you'll have a +6 bonus if you were standing within 10ft of Mailoc due to his Aura of Courage (+4 Moral against Fear) and his Magic Circle against Evil (+2 Resistance bonus on effects created by Evil creatures....I'm going to go out on a limb and guess this being just might be Evil).

Togo
2012-08-23, 07:10 PM
Including +4 for mailoc, but his magic circle doesn't help me, as I already have a resistance bonus.

Will save [roll0]

Hurrah, a pass thanks to the mysterious stranger!

Togo
2012-08-23, 07:13 PM
Kurn stares, his mouth hanging open, then takes a shuddering breath.

Boris, is that thing some kind of demon?

Kurn sways slightly leaning on the door frame.

Ok, ok, we practiced this. Boris, what have you got for me?

After a moment's thought he shakes his head and nocks his longbow.

I don't think nibbling by weasels will cut it, Boris. No, nor angry bees. Well, keep thinking. Meanwhile, Stenchburn, Stormchilde, Cydorax, Muffins, you four are with me.

He draws the charm-laden bow, takes careful aim, and fires, and then fires again.

The two crackling arrows whizz away, curve neatly to avoid Olaf, and then curve back again in a broad arc to reach their target.

Activating bracers of lightning as a swift action to boost damage

First arrow
[roll0] to hit for
[roll1] cold iron magical peircing ghost touch damage and
[roll2] acid damage and
[roll3] electrcity damage

Second Arrow
[roll4] to hit for
[roll5] cold iron magical peircing ghost touch damage and
[roll6] acid damage and
[roll7] electrcity damage

Whoops! Please add 1 to hit and damage to each arrow, due to point blank shot feat.

Both arrows ignore all concealment, cover, and intervening obstacles.

Void
2012-08-24, 01:15 PM
Olaf remembers his days on the ship. There was one wizard who had the ability to cast emense gusts of wind to provide for greater mobility in combat. It made him think, "Does anyone here have the ability to cast a gust of wind to disperse the cloud?"

Olaf stands defensively reading to engage in combat as he wonders how lethal the cloud might be to him.

Toliudar
2012-08-24, 01:55 PM
Silene & Polk

As the sounds from outside penetrate the tavern, Silene moves stiffly through the door, sliding her bow to hand as she does so. She peers into the mist, unable to make out exactly what's out there, but knowing that whatever it is, isn't friendly.

She hears Saerny's bow from the window, and lays a hand to her own bowstring. A ghostly arrow appears in her hand, just in time to be released into the fog. A second follows, then a third.

Silene - double move to get outside, drawing her bow as she does so.

If it's acceptable that that's already happened, she'll unload a full attack sequence into the shape in the fog. Rolling miss chances for concealment etc - low is good.

Shot 1 attack: [roll0] Damage: [roll1] Miss chance: [roll2] If target is a fiend, arrow counts as good-aligned and deals an additional [roll3] damage.

Shot 2 attack: [roll4] Damage: [roll5] Miss chance: [roll6] If target is a fiend, arrow counts as good-aligned and deals an additional [roll7] damage.

Shot 3 attack: [roll8] Damage: [roll9] Miss chance: [roll10] If target is a fiend, arrow counts as good-aligned and deals an additional [roll11] damage.

Polk darts out, curious about what all the commotion is about. She is disappointed that her cloak doesn't billow behind him as she runs, since that's what she's heard that heroes' cloaks do. Mostly, it just seemed to flap damply. Ah, there was so much to learn!

"When I talked about the nasty spells of York, it wasn't really necessary to immediately provide a counter-example of significantly worse smells in order to make it seem better by comparison. Clever thinking, though!"

Peering into the fog, Polk got a sense of something big and significantly unpleasant, smelling of decay and nastiness. This seemed like something that shouldn't get any closer. Flexing one of her fingers, Polk allowed one of her magic sticks into her left hand. Fingers closed experimentally around the slender stick. This was easier than when she was using claws; that was useful information. Pointing the stick downwards in the fog, she blinked twice and hoped for the best.

"This is exhilarating. Are towns always this dangerous?"

"I'm not sure. Please be careful. Remember that you're not nearly so resilient in human form."

"I am of course ALWAYS careful."

Polk should be able to identify the squares that the creature is in, using blindsense. She will use her wand of grease to slippify the ground under its feet. Reflex DC 11 to avoid falling immediately, balance DC 10 on its turn to move.

OMG PONIES
2012-08-24, 02:09 PM
MIchelle Easton

The changeling woman sighs softly, pulls a potion from her pack, and drinks it down. As it spills down her throat, she smoothly fades from sight. "We have to surround it," her voice emanates near Mailoc's ear. "It seems you, me, and possibly Olaf will have to distract it to keep it from the others. On your mark."

Move action: draw potion of Invisibility
Standard action: drink potion.

At this point, Michelle should get the number of thinking minds within the cloud and the INT score of each thanks to her Detect Thoughts.

DrK
2012-08-25, 07:31 AM
Arrows slam into the fog and a bellow of pain as crackling pain and green slime filled blood follow. The aura around the armoured man illuminates the heroes filling them with a sense of conviction.

Even as dozens of arrow lash into the cloud the cloud creeps closer now within some 15ft of the front of the Inn. The bodies within lying still as the molten vapours sear flesh and render the bodies down to bubbling wrekage.

The massive shape within pauses before bellowing in a vile tongue (the dark tongue of Slough Feg no less) and a vast wave of green virulent vomit splays out as the street and the street front are filled with the vile maggot ridden caustic substance. Several towns people nearby are caught by it and their bodies torn apart by the caustic vitrioloc stream as it lashes against all of the heroes....

Cloud of death moves 15ft closer
Shape within the cloud doesnt move but unleashes a Cone of nastyness
[roll0] Acid damage Ref 22 for half plus a DC22 fort or sickened for [roll]2d6[roll] rounds

I think that with him being 5otf away and the spread of a 60ft cone it would get anyone who could see where he was

Menteith
2012-08-25, 09:54 AM
Mailoc commands his shield to intercept the worst of the spray, but is still splattered with the vile excretion.

Reflex Save; [roll0], and add an additional +2 Resistance bonus if the creature is Evil.
Fortitude Save; [roll1], and add an additional +2 Resistance bonus if the creature is Evil.

I believe that both Michelle & Kurn are within his Magic Circle aura as well, if the resistance bonus is relevant.

Togo
2012-08-25, 06:46 PM
Unfortunately Kurn had been looking out when the wave struck, and is hit head on. He screams and staggers back as the acid bites deep into flesh and doorframe alike, his body smoking. From behind the dubious security of the wall, his monologue continues in a ragged voice.

What's that? Well, yes, that would be perfect, except that it would require that someone was actually going to walk up to this thing and hit it with his actual body. Yes, or bite it, but we're using weapons, Boris, symbols of wood and steel. Noone's going to want to hit or bite that thing.

Void
2012-08-26, 09:21 AM
Olaf raises his arms at shoulder level blades pointing toward the enemy. The look in his eyes is telling as he has decided to bring the fight to the demon even through the cloud of death. ”ulv’s ødeleggelse”, he shouts as he begins to move. His speed is staggering yet not direct. Those of the Celtic tribes may recognize his moves to be similar to their tribal war-dances. Each step is matched with a balanced swing of the arms and each swing of the arms is followed by an eerie wolf like howl from his sword splits the air. He closes into the cloud and upon the demon shape. As he becomes adjacent to the fiend his first set of strikes bite at the foe, each arm attacking from different direction before he continues his movement and attacks again. The series of attacks brings to mind images of a wolf packs assualt on a larger creature. This continues until he is behind the target either offering flanking to Mailoc or the back of the monster to the archers.

For those who speak Nosican Olaf shouted, ”Wolves Destruction”

Fort Save From Condition Damage
[roll0]

Attack Rolls-Miss Chance-Damage
[roll1] - [roll2] - [roll3]
[roll4] - [roll5] - [roll6] (Successful Reroll on Miss Chance)
[roll7] - [roll8] - [roll9]
[roll10] - [roll11] - [roll12] (x2 Damage, Crit Confirm)
[roll13] - [roll14] - [roll15]

Using 1-20 as miss on percent roll

Any miss rerolls or crit confirms will be added in OOC thread.

Blink is ended at the start of the movement and will be reactivated at the end.

Fort Save is assumed out of range of the protection spell.

Dervish Dance is Activated: (8 rounds)

HP: 92/101
AC: 27
Effects: Blink

Menteith
2012-08-26, 10:25 AM
A heatbeat after Olaf rushes toward the creature, Mailoc follows. He runs with inhuman speed, with a nimbus of light gathering around his sword. As Olaf's final strike lands, Mailoc aims a savage blow toward the creature's head, light spilling from his blade.

Fortitude Save against the cloud; [roll0]

As a free action, Mailoc activates his armor, granting him a round of Haste.

Mailoc attempts to Power Attack (-2 Penalty) and Smite the creature. To hit is [roll1], damage is [roll2] + [roll3]. He will use the Seeking Smite option of his Awesome Smite to ignore all miss chances the creature may have. If the attack lands, he will activate his Sudden Stunning enchantment as a Swift action, forcing the creature to make a Reflex Save (DC22) or be stunned for [roll4] rounds.

HP:84/103
AC:27 (against Evil, 25 against other)
Effects: Haste, Mass Conviction

OMG PONIES
2012-08-27, 07:50 AM
Michelle Easton

The invisible spy deftly sidesteps the stream of vomit that spews forth from the creature's mouth. She focuses her mind on her detect thoughts ability as she draws closer to it, hoping that the creature would be vulnerable to it. However, in her experience such intelligent creatures were usually more strong-willed than others. What was the foul beast lingering within the cloud? More importantly, why was it here?

Actions:
Move Action: move 30 feet closer to the creature (now 20 ft away from Michelle), staying close to Mailoc if possible.
Standard Action: concentrate on Detect Thoughts. Any mind in a 60 ft cone from Michelle (including the creature) must make a DC 20 Will save or she can read its surface thoughts.
No action: If Michelle can see the creature within the cloud or detect its thoughts, she will try to identify the creature with an appropriate Knowledge check, boosted by Collector of Stories. I'm guessing by the description and picture that it's some sort of demon, so I'm going with a Knowledge: Planes check. If another is more appropriate, please substitute--Arcana and Local would be 4 higher, but all other checks to identify creature types would be the same. A result of 22 grants a +2 to all attacks and damage.
Swift Action: If the creature fails its save and has 12 or fewer HD, Michelle will follow up with her Stun Thought Trick. The creature must make another DC 20 Will save or be stunned for 1 round.
Rolls:
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

Toliudar
2012-08-28, 11:15 AM
Silene & Polk

The little halfling warrior had been training with Polk to avoid the spray of her flames, and she did her best to put the same lessons to good use here, twisting out of the way of the awful spray. Resolute, she hobbles back a bit to get out of the way of the oncoming cloud, and fires a single shot at the shape in the midst of the repulsive mist.

Silene Reflex [roll0] & Fort: [roll1]
Move action: move 10' back out of the cloud.
Standard action: single bowshot
Attack: [roll2] Force dmg: [roll3] Additional dmg if it's a fiend: [roll4] Miss chance in fog (low good): [roll5]

Polk is fascinated. She's never seen anyone except dragons be able to spray things like that. Of course, all of the dragons she knows have significantly better hygiene, and the maggots are a significantly unwelcome addition to the effect. In the back of her mind, she wondered if, a week later, this fellow breathes flies instead, or if the insects are somehow held in the larval stage. How would she investigate something like that? She supposed that she could ask him. But it would be safer to approach him if she were in her own form.

She watched, amazed, as several of the other people in the inn dashed forward into the cloud in order to try to spear the nasty thing with various swords and suchlike. There was such valour in these people. Perhaps there was more to being a dashing young hero than getting the right sword and standing with a cloak draped around you just right. This bore further investigation.

Polk dashed into the cloud, and as the mist closed around the boy's form, it shifted in a moment. He leaned forward and pushed off with his legs, which suddenly seemed to want the descriptor 'hind'. Rather than falling forward onto his face, though, he seemed to rise slightly into the air, buoyed by leathery wings. His face was now distinctly un-human, and in fact had become a gleaming lizard.

"Silene, I take everything back about how York smells. This is a whole other level of magnitude of icky-smelly."

"Polk, what do you think you're doing? Get back here!"

"Oh, don't worry. I just have a couple of questions about flies."

Polk reflex: [roll6] [roll7] Improved evasion may help with this.

Move action to go 30' into the cloud. Standard action to transform to her natural form.

Togo
2012-08-28, 12:23 PM
Kurn

Kurn ducks behind the safety of the inn wall.

Boris!

Ok, ok, try this.

Give a spirit physical form? Seriously? Boris this had better not be just an attempt to pay back favours...

Lacking a better idea, Kurn closes his eyes, leans against the inn-room wall, and begins to chant.

Spontaneously casting summon nature's ally VI

hp22/60

DrK
2012-08-28, 04:16 PM
Emerging from the crowd of corrosive vomit the viking leaps full throated into the crowd of deadly vapours as he sees the full massive cleaver toting demon that was dwelling inside the vapours.

THe beast is massive and covered in heavy ropes of muscles and pustulent sores inflicted upon it by the touch of Slough Feg himself. THe skin splits leaking vile fluids, acid and slime onto the viking as he dances by...

You take [roll0] acid from the spraying toxic blood

Coupled with the viking's dash into the vapours the shining Knight of the Southern Realms lashes out with a sword that turns into a bar of fire as it swings. THe fog itself repelling away from the young hero as the blade slams into its inhuman demonic form with an almighty crash shattering and liquifeying rotting flesh and bone.

A lone arrow streaks out of the dimness as the beast shakes it's head slightly as the invisible sneaking changeling opens a window into its mind- the window a terrying descent across the Planes into the worlds of demons and the darkness of the underworld of SLough Feg himself..

Touch of demonic Mind could Michelle please make a DC 20 will save or be dazed for 1 round.

At the edge of the crowd a nimble halfling backs off slightly - an arrow vanishing into the deadly cloud before Polk leaps into it and all can see the wide wings and reptillian form descend upon the demon!

Just a filler post summarising the actions this round until anyone esle wants to post.

Chambers
2012-08-29, 02:48 PM
Saerny

Saerny rolls off the table and crouches next to it as the disgusting vomit sprays through the open window. Peeking his head up he watches Olaf charge into the vile cloud. Can't get a shot from here. Hopping back onto the table Saerny slings his bow over his shoulder and jumps to grab the top windowsill, swinging out of the window and using his momentum to somersault above it. Not a tree but it'll do. Clinging onto the face of the building Saerny quickly clambers up to get a better view of the streets below.

Double Move - Jump/Climb to the roof
Acrobatics [roll0]
Athletics [roll1]

His speed is 50ft and he's going to try Accelerated Climbing so he can climb get to the top in round (add +5 to the DC).

DrK
2012-08-29, 02:58 PM
As the viking spins behind the demon his feet encounter the slime and filth left behind like some sort of filthy snail trail. The mixture sizzling on his boots and stinking like death warmed up.

It leaves a slime trail
Don't fall over in it :smallwink:
Tumble/acrobatics DC +2
Also why he wasn't that fussed about the grease. He just slimed over it.

THe colossal demon- a being of devastating power and destruction looks around - 3 sets of mouths and teeth gnashing in excitment at the vitality of the prey surrounding it. With heavy cumbersome blows the scythe festonned with decaying matter and ages old blood lashes out again and again at Olaf, Mailoc and the now winged and majestic Polk...

Attack Olaf [roll0]
Damage Olaf [roll1] + [roll2] if good + Fort DC 23

Attack Mailoc [roll3]
Damage Olaf [roll4] + [roll5] if good + Fort DC 23

Attack Olaf [roll6]
Damage Olaf [roll7] + [roll8] if good + Fort DC 23

Bite attacks x 3 Vs Polk
Bite 1[roll9] Damage [roll10] + poison DC 24 or [roll11] strength

Bite 2[roll12] Damage [roll13] + poison DC 24 or [roll14] strength

Bite 3[roll15] Damage [roll16] + poison DC 24 or [roll17] strength

Menteith
2012-08-30, 12:18 AM
The hideous edge of the scythe screams as it tears through Mailoc's armor. Trickles of blood emerge from the ragged gash. Mailoc grits his teeth, and responds with a series of brutal attacks, biting deep into the creature's bloated corruption.

Void
2012-08-30, 05:56 PM
Olaf cringes a bit as he realizes his footing is not as pleasant as one would hope. However he uses it to his advantage and between the slickness and fancy sword-work allows him to avoid the two attacks of the fiend. Olaf continues his barrage of attacks,

If necessary Olaf maneuvers for flanking.
Attack 1: [roll0] Damage: [roll1] Miss Chance: [roll2](Success on Rerolled Miss, CritConfirm 31;x2 Damage)
Attack 2: [roll3] Damage: [roll4] Miss Chance: [roll5]
Attack 3: [roll6] Damage: [roll7] Miss Chance: [roll8](CritConfirm 32;x2Damage)
Attack 4: [roll9] Damage: [roll10] Miss Chance: [roll11]
Attack 5: [roll12] Damage: [roll13] Miss Chance: [roll14]

Any miss rerolls or crit confirms will be added in OOC thread.

Fort Save is assumed out of range of the protection spell.

Dervish Dance is Activated: (7 rounds)

HP: 92/101
AC: 27
Effects: Blink

Chambers
2012-08-31, 06:27 PM
Saerny

There. Better view, less vomit spray. Hustling across the roof of the tavern to find a good spot, Saerny knuckles three more arrows and sights down his bow. Lots of people in that cloud. He squints to try and make out the largest shape before firing. Better them than me.

Move - 20ft to trigger skirmish, find a good spot on the roof.
Standard - Greater Manyshot. High hits for the miss chance.

Miss Chance [roll0]
Attack [roll1]
Damage [roll2]
Skirmish [roll3]

Miss Chance [roll4]
Attack [roll5]
Damage [roll6]
Skirmish [roll7]

Miss Chance [roll8]
Attack [roll9]
Damage [roll10]
Skirmish [roll11]

Saerny
HP: 82/82
AC: 34
F/R/W: +13/+19/+10

Current Spells/Effects: Improved Skirmish

Toliudar
2012-08-31, 11:15 PM
Silene and Polk

Silene felt a pang of guilt as she heard the combatants tear into each other inside the mist. She should be in there, protecting Polk! And yet she had also been exhorted to trust Polk, to give the dragon room to make mistakes. And certainly flying into a cloud to ask a powerful demon about flies seemed like a mistake. And yet...there had been times when Polk had surprised her. Had surprised everyone. Perhaps. Perhaps this might happen again.

In the meantime, at a loss for what else to do, Silene plucks another arrow out of thin air, willing it forward and into one of the three throats of the massive demon.

Arrow 1 attack: [roll0] Damage: [roll1]
Arrow 2 attack: [roll2] Damage: [roll3]
Arrow 3 attack: [roll4] Damage: [roll5]

Attacks count as force.

Polk is taken aback by the ferocity of the creature's attack. Clearly, a more measured discourse on the life cycle of specific breath weapons would have to wait. She managed to duck under the final bite, but the first two crunch through her tender scales in a distinctly unpleasant manner.

"Ow! That hardly seems called for. We should be able to talk about this, right?"

Apparently not. Stepping in next to the massive fiend, Polk becomes a virtual golden pinwheel of claws and teeth.

Heads 1 and 2 hit. Fort saves vs poison: [roll6] [roll7]

Polk takes a 5' step as possible in order to help flank the massive creature with Mailloc and Olaf.

Full attack - rolls will come in a follow-up post, once I know whether her strength is affected by the poison.

Togo
2012-09-01, 03:36 PM
Kurn staggers out of the doorway again, his eyes glowing, strange winds blowing through his hair. With a shout, he drags his clenched fists upwards, as if lifting something very heavy, something that he can't put down.

The road bulges upwards, swelling massively with contained energies. The bulge grows bigger, studded with the same rainslicked cobblestones that line the road, growing until it towers almost as high as the demon itself, and forming into a humanoid shape, as sqaut and crudely formed as only a creature of earth and stone can be. Two red eyes glimmer in the darkness as it slams a stoney fight into the corpulent demon's foul form.

Kurn pauses, his skin faintly glowing from within as healing energies flow through him.

Finishing summon nature's ally VI to summon a Huge Earth Elemental.
I believe a 5ft step from the doorway plus a 55' range should be enough to summon a creature in a position where it can claim a flank with someone already fighting by using a 5ft step.
Elemental attacks with a flank from Olaf.
Slam [roll0] for [roll1] damage
Slam [roll2] for [roll3] damage

Kurn casts panacea, healing [roll4]hp of damage.

Note that being a huge creature, the elemental can freely share squares with medium or smaller creatures, and vice versa.

Toliudar
2012-09-02, 11:59 PM
Sorry for the delay. Full attack routine from Polk. If she manages to
flank, add appropriate bonuses. Attacks count as magic and good.
Smite Evil on Bite: [roll0] Damage [roll1]
Claw 1 [roll2] Damage: [roll3]
Claw 2 [roll4] Damage: [roll5]
Wing 1 [roll6] Damage: [roll7]
Wing 2 [roll8] Damage: [roll9]

DrK
2012-09-03, 02:22 PM
It all comes to a startlinge end. The brutal glittering smites coupled with flashing blades, a massive clawed and glittering dragon and the towering form made of the very roots of the earth.

Demonic ichor sprays outwards as weapons and claws hack and smash into the huge demonic figure before with a faint whump the creature seems to deflated.... The creature impoding around a central point as the vast stench of its essence swirls inwards to the rapidly diminishing point. Its dark demonic soul being dragged screaming back towards the depths of Slough Feg's hell...

As it goes the evil yellowish vapours are torn and pulled in after the creature leaving streets devoid of life but filled with rotting and partially dissolved corpses.

As the vapour fades you can heara few shouts of "Demons" from around you, the wail of those starting the grieving and the screaming of those left injured by the other demons in the mist or the mist itself.

Too many crits!! :smallsmile:

Togo
2012-09-03, 06:24 PM
Kurn rushes forward, his eyes still streaming, his clothes still smoking, from the acid and ichor,

His sharp eyes head for the nearest of the injured townsfolk, and he thrusts a handful of badly crushed loganberries at anyone mobile who crosses his path.

Here! Quick! One per injured. If you can't get them to swallow, tell me immediately!

He stops at the first body he finds, and, without waiting to check, pops a berry into their mouth, working the jaw to allow the juice to trickle down the throat.

Like this! We can save lives if we hurry!

Administering goodberries (PHB druid1) to the fallen townfolk. Each one will heal a single hit point, thus stabalising the patient if they are on negative hp. Kurn carries roughly 120 berries, and will give out handfuls to anyone who gets near him.

Each person can benefit from no more than 8 berries.

Menteith
2012-09-03, 07:34 PM
Panting, Mailoc stares at the spot where the creature had stood. He'd seen things both dark and foul before, but the malevolence and power of the creature disturbs him. He shakes his head to clear it, and begins a short prayer.
Bel, your children are in need of your presence. The innocent have been overcome in this hour of darkness. Ease their pains and sooth their souls. Help them as I cannot. This I pray.

OOC
Mailoc activates his Sacred Healing, spending a Full Round Action and Turn Attempt to grant every living creature within 60ft Fast Healing 3 for seven rounds.

Toliudar
2012-09-04, 12:28 PM
Silene quickly slides her bow onto her back and dashes forward to help. When Kurn offers up healing berries, she takes a few and begins working to administer them to the fallen.

"Thank you. I'll do my best."

Polk shakes her scales to clear them of the muck of the demon's filth. Pity that she'd never gotten the chance to ask him questions about how he managed that particular spray, but it was so horrible-smelling that she couldn't manage spitting it out of her mouth under any circumstances anyway. She decided that it would be good to confirm that there weren't more of these awful things popping up all over this York place.

Polk shook out her wings and leapt into the air. Even in this thick and fetid air, she enjoyed the moment when the air seemed to gather under her and propel her upwards. Quickly, she zipped up into the night sky and circled overhead, allowing her senses to clear and reach out for other signs of trouble.

"Well, that was invigorating. Although in a particularly smelly way. Are there a great many demons roaming around these human towns. If this is a frequent occurrence, then I'd think that there would be signs posted. Something along the lines of "Warning! This area experiences occasional visitation by three headed garbage-demons. Not recommended for small children or those with obstructed breathing."

"I don't think this is a normal occurrence, Polk. Please let us know if you see any other demons from up there. I don't want you going to deal with them on your own, do you understand?"

"Oh, you don't have to tell me twice. It's going to take a walk through a furnace and a dip in the river just to get the smell off of me. I think that there's still a little chunk of bone in your saddle, but you'll have to take a look at that later."

"Something to look forward to. And...you were magnificent, back there."

"I was, wasn't I?"

Silene will help
with distributing Kurn's berries, supplementing with a point of her own Lay on Hands where it is useful to do so to stabilize unconscious people.

Polk is going to fly up to a height of about 60' and do a circuit of York, looking/smelling/blindsensing for other demonic silliness. Spot: [roll0] Listen: [roll1]. If anyone takes her for a hostile/demon type and does something aggressive, she'll just fly further up and move away to check elsewhere in the town.

OMG PONIES
2012-09-04, 12:36 PM
Michelle Easton

The changeling woman fades back into view, shifting back to her natural form. Her lavender, almond-shaped eyes are wide and her pupils dilated as she stands frozen in fear. Her smooth skin, usually dark gray, is instead sallow and she looks as though she is unsure whether she'd rather scream or vomit. She moves her mouth to speak, but no words come out for an endless moment. She stands frozen as the others tend to the wounded and dying. Instead, she spends the time inwardly tending to herself, trying to piece together what she had seen when she peered into the demon's mind. As the others rush around to tend to the civilians, she is out of place--a still-life self-portrait amidst a backdrop of constant movement.

Eventually, she gathers her wits and is able to morph back into the form of Adalia Three Trees. Her opalescent white hair's flecks of color all begin to burn a deep crimson, filling out the rest of her hair which she twists into a quick braid. She shrinks in stature and her cheeks regain their rosy complexion. Her eyes round out, collapse to tiny beads, and change their hue to a sky blue. Her lips shiver the whole time. As she regains her halfling form, she finally finds her words:

"I...I saw...red? Destruction, spreading like a virus. Something like an infant, but so deformed it was devoid of innocence. And a temple of Morrigan...perhaps where it spawned?" She scratches her head. Usually, the thoughts she read played out like puppet shows before her eyes. This one, however, had been unnerving--a jarring sequence of seemingly unconnected images...much like the images of herself that often played in her dreams. Could this new threat provide any insight into the spy's shattered past? She had to know.

"Perhaps we should pay the temple a visit?" she asks in a way that seems less like a question and more like a demand. "Only makes sense to trace a threat to its source, right?" She seems strangely determined to visit the temple immediately, unfazed by the grim scene surrounding them and the work yet to be done here.

Sense Motive DC 39 to open:
Michelle is concealing a personal motive for wanting to visit the temple as well. It seems that she is searching for something.

Void
2012-09-04, 06:51 PM
Olaf continues his movement for a few more steps as he gets out of the ichor on the ground and positions himself as he is unsure of this arrival of a dragon he saw through the haze come in full view as the death cloud dispersed. As the dragon flies off he quickly scans outside of the battlefield to the onlookers and shadows. Taking note of folks in the area and more specifically anyone that is a bit less in shock and awe of such a situation or even not afraid or concerned of the situation as a whole.

[roll0]

DrK
2012-09-05, 04:07 PM
As the mists retract the armoured paladin glows with the Light of Don and the healing light touches those nearby. Some breathing slightly as life is restored and wounds begin to close. Others beyond the veil heading into Morr's dark garden.

More of the wounded and dying are recovered as several of the heroes run amongst them distributing the healing berries that rekindle the flames of life in some and heal others gently.

Polk flies up above the sooty roof tops giving birth to a hundred rumours that the great Bel himself - lord of the Gods has visiting the town sweeping the dire fog away with his powers but the dragon cannot see anymore demons. THe fog and the lesser demons grip on this realm severed when the most powerful of their kin was banished by the disparate collection of heroes.

As the screaming gives ways to blessings to Mother Danu and Kurn's berries and Mailloc a crowd begins to form thta soon involves a group of the town guard. The yellow horn and 3 roses of Lord Jorvik on their chests and the blood splattered armour attesting their wounds from the incursion from Slough Fegs' minions.

"Strangers. I am Sir Within. One of Lord Jorvik's knights. Please, come. The lord would like words with those that show such skill at at arms." The comments are mainly directed at Mailloc and Olaf but encompass them all. Even if his gaze hardens slighty at the diminutive halflings.

Chambers
2012-09-05, 04:35 PM
Saerny

Sliding down the side of the building, Searny hops down and crouches on a railing and then climbs down. His bow slung over his back he stands away from the dead demon and folds his arms as the guards approach.

"Does your lord have the words to spare? We've heard so few of them over the years, they must be a treasure to him." Searny says with a sneer towards the guardsman. "Olaf! You fought well." He says as he walks over towards the norseman then looks over at Silene. "You as well, and your...friend. Always a pleasure."

Togo
2012-09-05, 07:50 PM
Kurn looks up blankly, and then says in a gentle voice.

Um... Look, I'm really sorry, but I think it's probably time for a parting of the ways. Yes, I know we have a difficult situation, but the excitement's over, really.

He takes a step forward, rubbing his still watering eyes with a grubby sleeve.

I mean I know you have a responsibility to your lord, and need to report back. We have to finish up here. No, I'd love to go back with you, but really I have things to do.

Kurn's apologetic face looks sincere but firm. As he walks forward however, it also becomes clear he's not addressing the knights at all, but rather the hulking stone mound crouched in the middle of the road.

I really appreciate your coming to help. No! Next time I need something smashed, of course I'll let you know. Yes, you did, yes, just like a big rotten marrow. No, of course I won't, and thanks again!

He gives the mound a little pat as it starts to shrink, drawing back into the road until all that remains is a small jumble of loose stones and dried earth.

He turns back to the knights, and shrugs.

Sorry about that. You know how they get on their first trip to our world, all shiney, new and exciting. Um.. does Lord Jorvik want to see me too? I don't think my arrows did any good - didn't get through the creature's thick hide, and I don't really know anyone here, apart from Silene and Polk and the dwarf..err.. wolf.

He waves a hand at the wolfless, dwarfless, Polkless gathering, and then squints.

Oh, and... is that you Mailoc?

Menteith
2012-09-05, 09:41 PM
Good to see you, Kurn. It's always a pleasure to smite evil with a friend at the end of the day. Are you aware you've a maggot in your hair? Mailoc turns to the "halfling" woman. Adalia, if this is an errand that cannot wait, I will assist you. However, I feel that we should learn more about the situation here; and personally, I would like to make sure that any immediate threats to the city are dealt with first. Meeting with Lord Jorvik may prudent before we seek out this temple. Is this alright with you?

Void
2012-09-06, 12:20 AM
Olaf smiles at Saerny, which poorly masks the concern in his eyes for the situation. "You as well my friend. I am impressed that so much courage can be found in one of your size as well.", he says as a sincere complement. He looks over to the guards and takes note of their telling glare at the halflings. So Olaf walks beside Saerny as to show friendship before replying, "I will see your lord, but we will have to make it quick it is a long night already."

Toliudar
2012-09-06, 11:47 AM
Silene and Polk

Silene bows slightly to Saerny.

"It is as always an honour to stand alongside you, honoured one."

Silene smiles as others, particularly the noble Mailloc, step forward to offer their help.

"Unless you've seen something, I'd suggest that you change back into a human form and come along back here."

"Nothing but a lot of people showing the proper awe owed to all dragons. You could learn from them."

"I'll show you awe."

"Should I be surreptitious?"

"Sir Whatnow? Do NOT imitate a knight! Humans are very sensitive about ranks and social standings and suchlike. We went over that."

"No, surreptitious means stealthy, discreet."

"At your hatching, your shriek shattered a small window, a glass bottle and very nearly my eardrums. When have you ever been discreet?"

"I am destined to be many things, Silene. You just wait and see."

Silene shrugs slightly and turns to Sir Within, offering up a small prayer of thanks to Fenrir that Polk was not here to play with that name.

"Good knight, my companion and I will be honoured to join you and these brave people in conversation with Lord Jorvik. Perhaps there is more evil roaming the land than we gave credence."

Abruptly, a second story window of the inn is thrown open, and a boy with blond spiky hair - the boy who had so recently turned into a dragon - sticks a smiling head out.

"Don't start the fun stuff without me! I'll be right out, once I get that mead I'd asked for."

Silene blanched, but managed a faint smile.

DrK
2012-09-06, 02:45 PM
The young Knight's expression hardens slight;y at Saenry's words before he moves to speak with Mailloc and Olaf. Both can see the dragon of Bel around his throat. "My Lord Jorvik can wait until the morrow should you wish. There is much that needs to be attented to as the Town has lost many in these Feg cursed mists. If you have needs of the Temples then may the Gods bless you."

He waits for your repsonse should you wish to go with him now or await the coming of dawn?

Void
2012-09-06, 04:22 PM
"We should see him now, but some of us still need to see about room and board for the night." Olaf says jesturing to the rain fall.

Toliudar
2012-09-06, 05:20 PM
Silene smiles at Olaf's words.

"Perhaps, sir, that is less a trouble than a blessing. If we find ourselves helping Lord Jorvik, perhaps we will also receive a sliver of his hospitality."

Menteith
2012-09-06, 10:43 PM
Provided that none of my companions have urgent needs, I would meet with your lord at once.

Togo
2012-09-08, 08:34 PM
Kurn nods with enthusiasm.

Yes, we should definitely see your lord, if that's his wish.

He glances over to the empty space to his left.

No, it makes perfect sense. He's said the lord of the city should see us and ...
Because he's a very important man, Boris! He's a knight, and so he must be brave and valourous. You don't get a responsible and important position like that lightly. And besides, his eyebrows are enormous!

He gives an embarassed smile at the knight and then goes back to listening to a voice only he can hear.

Well, yes, looking for whoever unleashed demons on the city is important too, I suppose, but they're hardly likely to wait around for us to find them.

His eyes flick back to the knight.

Um... married? Probably. Yes, ok, I'll ask him. Later.

He turns back to the knight and makes a formal bow.

Apologies for that, noble sir. I am Kurn, a wandering Seer, and would be pleased to accompany you to make myself known to the Lord Jorvik. I would also like to thank you for your grace and forebearance in even this troubled time.

DrK
2012-09-08, 10:04 PM
Sir Within gives a short affirmitive nod before turning and motioning for you all to follow. His men forming up in a loose cordon around you.

The march through the town paints a grim picture. Bodies scattered, gore splashed streets and everwhere rotten stench of an open cess pit that not even the heavy incense of the black clad and silent Priests of More.

It takes some 20 min to skirt the heart of the town and arrive at the base of the hill dominated by the imposing walls and battlements of Lord Jorvik's keep. The cloud had struck here also. Soldiers piling bodies onto 3 large carts attested to that and the walls looked slick and filthy - a high water mark of where the battle reached.

As you pass through the gates its all militaristic activity within the high walls. Numb, angry or scared faces peering down at you as you pass beneath the double portcullis and scorched and marked murder holes. The keep is well fortified. In all of its history never having fallen to rival briton or roaving Celt. More guards and lots of horses fretted you in the courtyard and you soon pads through a well guarded side door into the main body of the keep.

Through all this journey Sir Within is silent but his half dozen men chat easily if spoken to. They lead you to a small halls. Arched stone above you stained with grease and soot and a fire roaring in the wide hearth. Please await my Lords pleasure here. If you wish food and ale will be found for you.. He points at one his men who shouts for a servant before turning to leave. The 6 soldiers also remaining to watch you.

Toliudar
2012-09-09, 03:52 AM
On the long walk through the town, Silene has to jog awkwardly to keep up with the others.

Meanwhile, Polk strides ahead, peppering one of the locals with questions about whether anything like this had happened before, what Lord Jorvik was like, and how beards felt.

At the keep, Polk and Silene are both fascinated, in different ways, by the military fortifications. The tribe had nothing like this. It seemed like a cross between a house and an anthill.

Togo
2012-09-09, 06:42 AM
Kurn squats by the fire, pulls out a bulging waterskin and a small rag. He starts to wash his arms of the worst of the soot and foulness.

This place is huge! I don't think I've ever been in a building this size.

AC 19
hp 56/60

OMG PONIES
2012-09-10, 08:13 AM
Michelle Easton

The spy curses her luck; she had been in many places this size (and with this temperament). Sometimes she was a court noble, others a trusted cabinet member, and others still one of the minutemen enlisted in the military itself. This time, however, she couldn't help but feel an unwelcome guest--a victim of circumstance. Still, the small bit of anonymity the ruse provided was comforting, especially after Kurn had almost blown her cover.

Shapeshifting was a talent Michelle preferred to keep close to the chest; some were frightened at its first mention and some thought her a sideshow attraction, but all distrusted her the instant they learned of her ability...and rightly so. From inside these very walls and inside those very masks, she had staged a revolution, a few coups, and more general scandals than she could count.

But for now, she was one of the motley crew of halflings accompanying the humans--the heroes. Mailoc had all but asked her about the temple in front of the knights, and she was still steaming about that. Speaking further of it would have freely given them their largest piece of intelligence, and they would have gone to storm the place like a bunch of fools. Changing the topic would have seemed suspicious, causing the knights to investigate the temple further. Going against Mailoc's wishes would have wounded his credibility with the other titled men; to hear such sass from not only a woman, but a halfling woman at that! It would have been unthinkable. As such, she remained silent and continued to do so. As they walked through town and into the keep, she trained her mind on the knights accompanying them, finding comfort in their simple thoughts. She had learned long ago that one can often learn more by staying silent than through speaking.

Michelle scans the knights with Detect Thoughts. Will save DC 20 to resist.

Void
2012-09-10, 05:16 PM
As the servant is about to leave Olaf stops him a moment to ask for him to bring some wash rags and bucket of water as Olaf wishes to clean off some of the Ichor that had gotten on him through out the fight. As the servant walks off, Olaf turns to the others and introduces himself to those he has yet to meet and poses a question to all, "I am Olaf son of Gunnar. What brings everyone here to York?"

Chambers
2012-09-10, 09:18 PM
Saerny

The halfling keeps his mouth shut while their being escorted through town, but his eyes are wide open as they walk through the keep. His interest is specific; counting the number of troops, their disposition, equipment and any training evident. Saerny glances over to Silene to see if she is seeing the same things he is, but he frowns at her fascination. Think like a warrior, lass, not a clod-trodding human.

Once inside the hall Saerny relaxes and takes a seat next to the fire and smiles at the servant. "Wine, please." He chuckles and lays his feet out on the stool, leans back in the chair.

DrK
2012-09-11, 03:35 PM
Michelle On the long walk the changeling cast her minds about around the minds of the Knights surrounding them. Most were mundane men. Their thoughts uncomplicated - thoughs of their wives, thoughts of an ale and for all 3 thoughts of the horrors they had battled and the comrades they had seen torn apart by shadows of death and bile in the fog.

Polk The dragon - now back in mortal form finds little purchase with the knights that stand about them. THese men have seen much and experienced much and the banterings of the strange naive young adventurer leave nothing but slightly irate as the young dragon gets mono-syllable answers. "The town has never felt the Dark Gods' touch so strongly""Lord Jorvik is a good and ust Master.""Real men wear beards".

In the keep the wine is quick to arrive. A large flagon and several mugs all filled with slighty warmed spiced red wine of passable quality. And as requested by Olaf water - piping hot in a tub with cloths also arrives.
The time ticks by slightly, an hour or so by the candle burning...

Are you guys wanting to converse amongst yourself or move on to meeting Lord Jorvik?

Togo
2012-09-12, 09:39 AM
Kurn bobs his head.

Oh.. ah.. I'm Kurn. That's short for Cuonkurnos. I'm from down south. I'm a Seer. That ...ah.. that means I see things that other people don't see.

He waves his hand.

I'm up here to try and see Lord Jorvik, but I don't know if I'll be able to. I wanted to talk to him about the big stone circle, and about whether I could live in hut, with a roof please. I'm not sure how he'll take it. I thought I could try and help him out with... ah... whatever it is he does around here.

He brightens a little. I mean, I practice hard with a bow, and when I heal people they get usually get better more than they get worse, and Dram the potter said that even without much practice I could make myself a... liba, a lyra...

His voice trails off as he makes dish-like shapes with his hands.

That was it. A liability! Thank you Boris. He beams, but his smile soon retreats into a glum expression.

But Lord Jorvik has probably has lots of pots, I bet Sir Indoors is better than me in a fight, and I doubt he'll want to keep me around just to see things for him.

He looks up at the others.

What about you? And does anyone have any idea why Lord Jorvik would want to see us all?

Void
2012-09-12, 04:48 PM
Olaf smirks at Kurns run off description of why he has come to York. ”Healing seer, you sound quiet the talented man. My great aunt was a seer, it was said she could speak to animal spirits and although many feared her for this, she was revered among the clan. She said I have the wolf’s blessing, but this was before I was old enough to understand her.” Olaf pauses to dunk a towel into the hot water and wash off his face before continuing. ”I came out this way because I heard York might be in need of a few strong fighters and thought I might find some income in order to buy a ship.” He ends his sentence and glances over the others to see if any seem interested in commenting on the conversation.

Toliudar
2012-09-12, 05:49 PM
Silene puffs up slightly as she nods and presents herself.

"I am Silene, and this is Polk. We are from the North. We are here with Mailloc, Saerny and Adalia, following on signs of devilish depradations on the border. Perhaps...perhaps Adalia should say more than that."

Chambers
2012-09-12, 07:59 PM
Saerny

"She usually does have an interesting tale." Saerny says, nodding towards Michelle. He finishes the glass of wine and settles further into the chair. "I'm here to...well, I came to meet some folk. And keep an eye on some other folk." He says and glances over at Silene briefly but lets his gaze rest on Polk before turning back to Olaf. "And where would you go in this ship?"

Menteith
2012-09-12, 10:16 PM
My name is Mailoc. I had intended to use York as a base of operations while investigating the borderlands, but hadn't realized how dire things had become here. Hopefully, with the Lord's help, we'll be able to locate and destroy the source of these beings.

OMG PONIES
2012-09-13, 06:03 AM
Michelle Easton

The changeling pours herself a glass of wine, but a remarkably small one. "Name's Adalia Three Trees, savvy?" she says to the group. "The lot of us fought off a half-crazed djinn who was hell-bent on burning down an entire forest. The spirit seemed pushed by some darker force, and Mailoc suggested we regroup in York before investigating fully. Good thing we did, too--seems like something straight outta the Feg is romping about."

Her eyes dart around, looking to see if the coast was clear to reveal her true identity and the fact that she had known most of the assembled adventurers in one guise or another. Neither the time nor the place, she chided herself. After all, if YOU don't know who you are, why bother telling them? Michelle is little more than a name right now...all in due time.

DrK
2012-09-13, 03:28 PM
As the party talk amongst themselves with wine, ale and wash water another servant brings in some wide wooden trays heaving with freshly baked bread and some fresh stew - venison Kurn would think from the smell.

Eventually after allowing time for you to eat an armoured man-at-arms appears at the door waving you through another set of double doors into the grand hall.

80 or so heavily armoured men all look up as you enter from the long tables that dominate the smokey atmosphere. A dozen serving girls and young men waiting on them. At the head of the room on a raised dail sits a slightly more fancy table with a large red throw over it liberally stained with food. A half dozen large and fierce looking wolf hounds linger underneath it.

Lord Jorvik sits in the cenre of the table. THe image of a once proud warrior with large jowls hidden under a beard that spills over a large belly straining the doublet of the fine velvet clothes. He looks down at the pary as the room quietens and all eyes stare at the motely crew of warriors in the heart of the chamber. A few mutters as they see the Iceni and Celts amongst the contigent and a few nods towards Olaf and Mailloc who look more like traditional warriors.

Jorvik pauses a second, releasing a vast belch, "So... these are the heroes that the speaks street of. The ones that drove Slough feg's vile spawn back into the Underworld where it can rot." He looks around the room, "Some would have me reward you. I say that you were defending yourself but I have need of brave men." Another pause as he eyes up Michelle, "And brave women. My lands are in peril and my men-at-arms are stretch thin keeping the King's Peace. Celts and worse raid my villages and strange beings from the bowels of Crom Daub's realm appear from thin air. I can offer the thanks of a grateful Duke..."

Depending on how the group introduce themselves and answer he will wave to the nearest table and some of the men move to make space for them and wooden platters with stew, bread and ale are brought forward...

Void
2012-09-13, 04:56 PM
Olaf looked ready to reply to Saerny question as Lord Jorvik man arrives to guild them to their host. Olaf takes measure of each man and Jorvik as the lord introduces himself.

”I am Olaf son of Gunnar. I speak for myself, but I need no reward for my past deeds, though if you’re in need of my services in the future, that is another matter.” Said with a strong Norwegian accent Olaf intends to make it clear he has no intent on staying in York without a paying job.

Menteith
2012-09-13, 10:40 PM
I am Mailoc. I need no reward - I help protect those who need it. If you choose to gift me with material goods, they will be used to help me do my duty, but I am well equipped and provisioned currently and have no pressing need for supplies or arms. What would be most valuable to me is information. Do you know where that demon came from - and do you know how to stop them?

Togo
2012-09-14, 07:49 AM
Greetings your lordship, honoured advisors, knights and squires. Kurn begins formally. Honour to the house, and to those who dwell before it's hearth.

Kurn gives a well practiced bow.

I'm Kurn, a wandering Seer. I came seeking the sacred stone circle, said to lie near your city. But I'm happy to be of service in these troubled times. I.. I could do with a place to stay, as here I have neither kith nor kin to call my own.

He gives a wave to the others

These are stalwart warriors and compatriots. Together we defeated the demon that was .. ah.. disolving your townsfolk. Of old I know only Mailloc, who impressed me with his keen judgement, and my trusted advisor Boris, one of the invisible voices inside my head. But I recommend them all to you as brave men and women, who acted without thought for personal safety.

diplomacy [roll0] Please note that this figure already includes a -4 penalty for his tendancy to talk about invisible friends such as Boris.

Toliudar
2012-09-14, 10:24 AM
Silene seems ready to speak up again, but Polk steps forward. It seems that she has found the wine. And found it to her taste. Once again in the form of the willowy teenaged boy, Polk steps forward with a slight wobble, and manages something half-way in between a wave and a salute.

"Lord Jorvik! Hi! Great place you've got here. I especially like the little holes that you have in the walls. Ventilation in the summer, arrowy death all year around. Am I right? Very smart!"

Silene groans quietly, and Polk spins to look at her for a moment.

"Introductions? Oh, introductions! Right. I am Polk, and this is Silene Dragonward. We're here...oh, right. We covered that earlier. Didn't we? I can't remember now. I think I was pouring something. Oh, that nasty guy. Yeah. Not so much self-defense as an effort to stop a juggernaut of death and destruction. Just like your army is supposed to do. Only they didn't and we did. So it's like we were your army. And I guess you don't so much 'reward' your army as, you know, pay them. But if you don't pay them, then I guess it would be fair to not pay us either. Yes, that would make sense."

The boy hesitates for a moment, a whole caravan of thoughts seeming to dart in and out of Polk's brain for a moment.

"My goodness. You're fat. Is that fun? I should try that sometime."

Chambers
2012-09-14, 11:19 AM
Saerny

Saerny moves forward and stands up on a chair so all can see him, though he's still shorter than Olaf. He glances around the room, meeting the eyes of the warriors without flinching before the faces Jorvik. "As the saying goes, the enemy of my enemy is my friend." He says. "But the creatures of the Underworld count no allies among the living, save for those ready to sell their souls."

He pauses and grins slightly. "I like my soul well enough where it is, thank ye, and know that we have no deals with that place. On this, I speak for my tribe. I think that these creatures are interrupting business between your people and mine, and the sooner we deal with this threat, the sooner we can attend properly to other matters." He looks around at the men sitting at the tables, his hand resting on the hilt of his knife. "I think we can all agree to that."

I'll roll Sense Motive to see how he interprets Jorviks and the warriors response. [roll0]

DrK
2012-09-16, 01:53 AM
The Lord nods and bids welcome to Mailloc and Olaf as they speak - expected words of duty, honour and recompse. However the demanour of the bluff retired warlord begins to crack slightly as Polk, Kurn and Saerny begin to speak.

To Saerny he acknowldges the troubled past between their tribes with a thin smile and a "Between all creatures living there can be no peace or accord with the creatures of the underworld. You're help will help strengthen the bonds between our tribes.

Kurn gets a slightly bemused look but a nod and thanks. The Lord thrown off by the strange seer - but as a worshipper of the Old Gods he is well used to unusual Seers.

As Polk insults him he turns to Olaf and Mailloc, "Control the Boy good ser's I will not be insulted by a witless fool in my own dining hall".... The steel in his voice suggesting quick words are needed to smooth things over...

he's angry about being called out as fat in front of all his men.... Someone must repar that damage!

Void
2012-09-16, 09:18 AM
Olaf face turns to one of mild frustration when the slightly wobbly ‘boy’ Polk slanders the lord. Not truly knowing the boy or his friends he does not act until the Lord exclaims his own frustration of it. At that point Olaf acts instinctively and in almost exactly the same way his own father did to him in a similar situation when he was younger.

Olaf gives Polk a big brotherly thwack across the back of the head and chimes in a fatherly tone, ”Show respect to others less you care for no respect to be shown to you. And more importantly learn to hold your ale and wine otherwise it is nothing more than a poison!” Olaf not the diplomat would not apologize for others let alone a mistakes not of his own, though he did know boys need direction if they were to grow up to be men of honor and strength. He then turns back to the lord somewhat clueless to how others would react to such a thing and gives the lord a look as if the issue was sufficiently handled.

I am kind of playing it as Olaf did see the dragon but did not necessarily see Polk being the one to transform in the thick gas cloud earlier. Sorry if that is in accurate.

Toliudar
2012-09-16, 10:19 PM
Polk stumbles a bit from Olaf's blow, but regains his balance with a slighltly uncertain grin.

"I certainly didn't mean any disrespect. I was simply interested. But holding more wine certainly does seem like a very good idea. Thank you!"

Managing a slightly half-assed bow to Lord Jorvik, Polk starts to head towards the table where there were still several bottles of wine. Silene darts forward to take Polk's hand.

"Wait! I think that Jorvik is about to reveal what he knows of these visitations. Aren't you curious?"

"Of course. But I'll be able to hear just fine from the other side of the room."

"But, er, your ears are only human right now. And alcohol has a dampening effect on the ears of humans."

"Really? Fascinating!"

"Yes, it makes it hard to hear anything that you didn't already want to hear."

"But I want to hear everything!"

"Look, just...wait here with me for a bit. We can see to some more wine for you before bed, all right?"

Polk comes to rest, and Silene turns back to Lord Jorvik.

"My friend is young and unworldly, My Lord. He apologizes for his offense."

Thanks, Void! That was beautifully handled.

DrK
2012-09-17, 02:23 PM
The Lord Jorvik looks at Polk before glancing back to Olaf and Silene. "Water his mead down then. Let us speak no more of it. Please - join me at my table."

He waves them to seats as ale and wine are brought forward/ "We must speak of the creatures that plague these lands. THey appear from the mists. They creep from the caves and they devour all the faithful of the Old Gods and the Lightbringer alike."

As he looks around he calls out in his strong voice "Maps!" and sends a servant running. "We can speak of the villages and lands that are under threat."

Void
2012-09-17, 09:39 PM
Olaf advances to take a seat next to Polk and as he sits he reaches for a large piece of bread. He breaks it and keeps a small portion for himself and sets the large portion in front of Polk and in a depth that only Polk would hear without stressing to listen he says, ”Eat this with your wine, your head will be less angry with you in the morning and your mouth will make less mistakes tonight.”

As the Lord calls for Maps and re-addresses the party with "We can speak of the villages and lands that are under threat.". Olaf responds with ”As well as how we can help protect your vassals and how you can support us in doing so.”, before leaning back and taking a drink of his ale.

OMG PONIES
2012-09-18, 06:49 AM
Michelle Easton

As the Lord calls for Maps and re-addresses the party with "We can speak of the villages and lands that are under threat.". Olaf responds with ”As well as how we can help protect your vassals and how you can support us in doing so.”, before leaning back and taking a drink of his ale.

Michelle smiles inwardly; Polk's distraction had allowed them to get through the courtly introductions without the need for her to speak up. Even when wearing a cover identity, Michelle preferred to keep names close to the chest. Building a good cover was all about controlling who knew her, and there were far too many men here, given the current state of the city under threat.

Her invisible grin widens at Olaf's words. If she was a betting woman, she would put her last copper on the notion that the only support they'd get from Jorvik would be his wisdom in selecting them for the task. No matter that they were the only heroes at hand; if Michelle knew anything about nobles, she knew how this tale would be spun and twisted. She won't be surprised if, given a few weeks, she hears that the demon was slain by Jorvik alone.

Michelle waits for the maps to come, and then asks the servant, "would you be able to indicate any local temples of Morrigan on these maps? That may be the next step in eliminating these threats."

Togo
2012-09-18, 01:03 PM
Kurn nonchalantly snags a large peice of bread, breaks it into uneven halves precisely as he saw Olaf do, and then carefully retains the larger peice. He takes a bite, and then looks over the table, chewing thoughtfully.

Are all the attacks the same sort of creatures as what we just saw? Or are they different, perhaps in different areas? He takes another small bite.

There must be some variation, or else there wouldn't be many villages left, would there? How have you fought them up until now?

Suddenly he grins at Olaf, and gestured with his half-loaf.

Hey, this works pretty well. Thanks for the tip.

DrK
2012-09-19, 03:16 PM
The Lord looks at the maps throwing a hand at the rolling moors North of York dominated by small villages. "The moors, they feed us and provide valuable tin but.... he lokos sadly at them and with red wine smears out about half of the villages. "A beast lurks there. Or many. My men have killed beasts and demons but nothing...

He looks up at the others - particular the halflings. "If nothing is done little people. THey may well head North into your lands."

Menteith
2012-09-19, 08:04 PM
Mailoc politely declines any food from the servants.

Where did the attacks first occur - which village was first to fall? If we don't know where the attacks are coming from, it may be worthwhile to search the areas where these creatures first appeared. If my companion believes that there's a temple out there, finding it is a priority. Even if we can't find anything useful in the villages, we'll be able to confront and eliminate the immediate threats. I am able to set out as soon as my companions are ready.

Toliudar
2012-09-20, 12:01 AM
Silene eats daintily, while Polk starts to pile in food with both hands. The erstwhile dragon smiles over at Olaf, confirming that he was indeed taking the warrior's advice to heart.

Silene speaks primly to Jorvik.

"My lord, you say that a beast lives in the moors. You suggest that your men have killed several creatures such as that which we met tonight, but you separate this one creature in your description. What do you know of this beast, and what sets it apart?"

Chambers
2012-09-20, 07:53 AM
Saerny

"You speak true." He says to Jorvik as he leans over the map. "And I would stop that, if I can." He points to the wine smeared villages. "I've known people that lived there..." He pauses as if searching for the right words to say. "Away from your large cities, I've found some men to be agreeable, even wise. Farmers, mostly." He says, intending it to be a compliment as it wasn't wise to speak ill of the dead amongst their living kin. He steps back and listens to his companions questions and waits for their host to answer.

Void
2012-09-20, 07:22 PM
Olaf browses the map as everyone does with an immediate scan, though as the others begin planning he listens but appears to have no opinion in agreement or disagreement with what others are suggesting. During the discussion he takes the map and studies it with great detail trying to commit the region to memory as well as find a pattern in the increasing outbreaks of evil. After the discussion opens to a lull he comments, ”I agree with Mailoc. Unless we have a good idea of when and where they are going to strike next, knowing more about their origin is our best chance to gain a foothold in this fight and mitigate future attacks.”

Olaf then sets down the map and turns to the lord, ”What kind of history of issues have you had in this area before these incidents started occurring? Any grudges from one that might take pact with these creatures?”

Togo
2012-09-21, 08:43 PM
Kurn looks at the map again.

So.. It's located on the moors, and it's a big beast. But it moves around, and so is too hard to find, or too dangerous to search for...

He takes another small bite of dry bread.

But the creature we fought was already inside the city. So.. It doesn't need to be there? Or it just needs to be close? Or there's something else calling all the creatures including the beast. Hmm...

He pauses, glances at Olaf's peice of bread, and takes a few bites to scale his own down to the same size and shape. This leaves him with a mouth full of bread, which takes a bit of chewing.

DrK
2012-09-22, 02:45 PM
The Lord looks about the members of the party as a few of his fellow knights and Lords on the table chip in. "The attacks are at random. They come from nowhere and drift away as light or soldiers arrive.".

"We have seen beasts - both demonic and the walking wickermen of Crom Daub with victims still burning. Black armoured raiders with cloven hooves and mortal flesh..." he motions to what looks like a deformed goat's skull mounted on the wall. "That one partook of the burning of Ripon - we hacked him down and melted down his black steel."

At Olaf's word Jorvik shakes his head. "We have had our share of minor troubles and skirmishes Norseman. But none of the villages in my fief would swear loyalty to the dark crippled gods of the underworld." Looking back to Mailoc he waves a hand over the map. "We do not know when these attacks occur. Some are not reported for weeks until we come upon the ruins. Others we know immediatly. As to the beast - as my good ser said - sometime its tribes of beasts, other times animated wickermen. Sacrifices to Crom Daub and at Helmsley it was a scaled beast with three dark heads exhuding dark fire."

Many of the others looks down at the map various suggestions pointing at the wild moors around Goathland some 30 miles North of York.

OMG PONIES
2012-09-24, 09:03 AM
Michelle Easton

The changeling woman blinks. In the space of that blink, she sees before her eyes a menagerie of different faces. An old elven spiritual advisor, a Norsewoman, a Saxon warrior...many masks that would gain her far more respect than her current one. The halfling taps Mailoc on the shoulder and whispers to him: "Sir, if I may? These beasts seem like symptoms of a larger malady. Perhaps finding this temple of Morrigan could allow us to stop the beasts from spawning?" She hoped that Mailoc agreed with her; he seemed to have the Lord's ear, while she was lucky to have an audience with him given her current form.

Menteith
2012-09-24, 04:47 PM
Mailoc nods at Michelle's whispered advice, and breaks into the discussion

I believe that there is a single source for many of these attacks, and that if we can find it we may be able to stop them. If the attacks are centered around the moors, it makes the most sense for us to investigate the area, even if we have but suspicions. I propose an expedition to Goathland in the hopes of learning more - does this seem reasonable to you?

DrK
2012-09-27, 02:04 PM
The lord nods to both of the speakers as he listens to the proposals. "Should you journey North I can provide pack animals and feed for you all."

He smiles and a few of the other kights and men-at-arms also raise a small cheer. "Is there anything else that you wish from the armoury of barracks that we can provide?"

Togo
2012-09-28, 12:48 PM
Kurn looks up.

A net, please. If we can capture a small minion, we may be able to question it.

Menteith
2012-09-30, 11:08 PM
I am confidant enough in my own personal gear. It's been with me for years, and so far, I'm still alive.

Void
2012-10-02, 08:26 PM
Olaf looks up from the maps he has been diligently studding. A smirk on his face and a daring glace, ”If you have a mildly skilled wizard and your challenged on a night with a fog or cloud ask them to learn ‘Fog of Wind’. My crew in the past has found this ability or spell to be great advantage on the sea and in our last fight it would have saved more than one life. Aside from that I ask if you have a copy of each of these maps I ask to take one and a solid resting spot for the night would give advantage to us all.” He then looks down to the map in hand and continues his memorization.

DrK
2012-10-03, 12:13 AM
Jorvic nods and points out a spot.

are you guys ready to go?

Toliudar
2012-10-03, 01:40 AM
Silene and Polk seem contented with what they have with them. Polk does, however, lever himself up halfway onto the table to stare at the maps.

"Oh, I see. This is a relatively haphazard effort to simulate the view from above, together with an artistic emphasis on those elements of geography that you and your people have added to the scenery - roads, buildings and suchlike. Which explains why that cart track, virtually invisible at a height of several hundred feet, is so prominently marked. You know, given the short lives of, erm, us, having these kind of reminders is actually a pretty efficient way to transfer visual memory from one to another. Especially since it seems unlikely that many of you would have actually seen what the ground looks like from up there, so there would have been a lot of guesswork in this as well. It would make sense then to make use of this collation of information on our travels. Silene, draw a copy of this, please."

Silene's mouth opens and closes a few times as she tries to come up with a suitable rejoinder, and simply turns to one of the servants.

"Is there any way that we could get a copy of these maps?"

DrK
2012-10-07, 02:07 AM
Lord Jorvik issues a few curt insructions and a copy of the North Moors are soon provided to the party and as they eat trenchers of heavy meaty stew washed down with large amount of water - wine or mead.

Beds are provided within the high stone walls of the keep so that an early strat can be made in the morning. The 30 or so miles a very long walk for a day or requiring astopping point half way there.

The day is warm and with an Autumnal wind bringing the smells of the city and surrounding farms across the courtyard as some of the men-at-arms and minor Lordlings wave or nod respsectfully sa the party troops out.

Walking through York's streets however is a different affair as the busy streets are filled with cheering and roaring peseantry as word of your departure spreads and word of your antics the previous evening in dispelling the death spread with them. Wherever you walk the faces lft slightly and the people dressed in their Temple best as they bury the dead. The smokey incesne of funeral oils and the mournfl tolling bells on Morrigans Temple a counterpoint to the cheers.

Right - :smallsmile:

Anyone want to do anything / buy anything/ say anything before you leave town and head North?

DrK
2012-10-11, 02:39 AM
The miles roll beneath your feet as you all trudge northwards. All except Silene who is soon aloft on the dragon Polk - the transformation sudden and intense with the strong smell of spice as the change happens when you are far enough from the city to be away from prying eyes.

As you head North towards the moors you can see signs of "evildoing" as burned out farms and empty villages begin to get clser together. As you push on some 16 miles North of York Polk and Silene see the tell tale signs of fresh smoke some 1 mile distant and the dragon's sensetive ears can just pick out the screams of human and the braying of beasts!!

Smoke over a hill some 4500ft (~1 mile away)
If you are sticking as a group then say what prep spells you are casting. If not as a group then we will muddle through :smallsmile:

Void
2012-10-11, 07:27 AM
Olaf quickens his pace but does not have intent to heavily out distance the party.

Spell effect of Blink

OMG PONIES
2012-10-11, 08:12 AM
Michelle once again shifts her shape, leaving the soldiers with them aghast. "You fight your way, I fight mine..." she rasps in her new voice.

OOC: using change shape to assume the Dark Creeper form from the first battle.

Toliudar
2012-10-11, 12:22 PM
Having swooped down to warn the others, Silene and Polk take to the air again.

"We will try to get a better look and let you know what is going on."

As they rise into the air again, Silene uses what simple protections she has to shield Polk from harm.

Silene casts Golden Barding on Polk, and gets out her bow.

Polk rises back up to 400', and dashes over to try to get a closer look at what was causing the smoke and screaming. If you can 'run' while flying, it'll take her about 30 seconds. Otherwise, about a minute.

Chambers
2012-10-11, 02:08 PM
Saerny

"Aye, do that. I've got my own surprise to ready." Saerny says, watching the smoke rise over the hill. The halfling pulls out a jar of loam and dips two fingers into it, spreading the dark green paint across his face in quick stripes. He pauses to look at Michelle's changed form and offers her the jar. "Mind a touch up, dear?"

Casting Mass Surefooted Stride. For 9 minutes all allies can move through difficult terrain at full speed and may charge and tumble through such terrain. Also, +2 competence bonus on Climb checks. Whee.

Otherwise, draw bow, knock a few arrows and hustle onward.

Prior to moving out for the day Saerny would have cast Forestfold, choosing the appropiate terrain they're moving through. It grants him a +10 competence bonus on Hide and Move Silently within that terrain and lasts for 9 hours.

Menteith
2012-10-11, 02:24 PM
Mailoc nods to the dragon and his rider, and prepares himself. Murmuring a series of protective prayers as he moves, he draws his weapon and increases his speed.

OOC
Cast Mass Conviction while Polk and Silene are in range, granting the group a +3 Moral Bonus on all saves for 70 minutes. Casts Longstrider (domain spell) on himself, increasing his movement speed for 7 hours. Casts Divine Insight on self, allowing him to spend an immediate action to gain a +12 insight bonus on a single skill check within the next seven hours.

Mailoc will also offer a protective blessing to anyone who wants it - if you want Shield Other, call it out! Right now, I'm assuming that only Kurn is getting one.

Draws and readies weapon, and moves toward the conflict, placing himself ahead of the rest of the group if possible.

DrK
2012-10-11, 03:53 PM
As Polk screams over the land with Silene aboard the farm screams into focus and the massive 12ft tall bestial creatures that are hacking the famers into tiny pieces.

http://static.tumblr.com/gecgfz3/CJCm41foj/minotaure_gow_iii.jpg

The screams have faded by the time she and the dragon are hovering above the 5 massive beasts. 4 with massive axes or swords and powerful looking bows slung on their back, one with a twisted long black quarter staff. The deaths have ended and the feeding has begun. The beast creatures of the underworld cramming chunks of farmer into their mouth raw...

There is a burning farm and in the courtyard 5 of these "big uns" eating the family. ~200ft of open pasture surround the building. Before that the party will be approaching up narrow stream bed before they pop up from cover.

Toliudar
2012-10-11, 04:21 PM
Polk turns and zips back they way they came, visibly shaken by the strange sights. She comes to hover about 10' in front of the group.

"And then one of the bull-men snapped off the farmer's head and started to drink out of the hole."

Silene managed to remain a bit more composed, but the young halfling woman was clearly also distressed at the sight.

"There are five of them. Equal parts bull, man and your worst nightmare, currently feeding. You can probably get cover in a dried stream bed, and that'll get you to a pasture, about 200' from the house. We need to act quickly - who knows how long before they get hungry again?"

Menteith
2012-10-11, 05:32 PM
We'd best move then. If possible, try and keep one of them alive - but only if we can do it safely. Is everyone ready?

Barring any objections, Mailoc will move up the streambed as close as possible, and wait for everyone to get into positions.

OOC
Add a Shield of Faith (+3 deflection bonus to AC) and a Divine Favor (+2 luck bonus to Hit/Damage) to Mailoc's buffs, after learning more about the creatures.

Togo
2012-10-11, 06:22 PM
Kurn mutters to himself. Trying to keep his voice low.

Ying-yi, Yang-ya, go wide until I call. Elspeth you stick to me, Serpentooth, you're with the big lizard... Hey Polk?

He shuffles over towards Silene and her winged mount, and lays a hand briefly but unselfconsciously on Polk's gleaming flank.

He pulls down his yellowish goggles and looks around at the rest of the group. His skin is turning a thick, rough and mottled tan. He pulls out a bunch of grapes and pops a few into his mouth.

Ready ... uh... anyone else want some? You should really, they're good for you.

Casting Barskin on myself, and Greater Magic Fang on Polk. Happy to cast more if anyone else wants them.

Anyone eating Kurn's grapes gets the effects of Heroes Feast, which are +1 morale bonus to hit and to will saves, immunity to fear and poison, and d8+6 temporary hit points. It also cures any diseases you might have, and settles your stomach. There's enough for everyone.

Toliudar
2012-10-11, 07:39 PM
Polk starts to step back from Kurn's touch, but instead leans into it, curious. When he draws back, she raises a foreleg and examines it.

"Ah. Clever! Even better than the ones Mother makes."

She does look somewhat curiously around for any sign of Ying-yi, Yang-ya, Elspeth and Serpentooth.

Silene simply nods, and tests the pull on her bow.

"this way."

Staying low to the ground, Polk guides the others into the rut of the creek bed.

Void
2012-10-12, 04:41 PM
Olaf accepts Kurns offer and eats the berry. He swiftly makes way to the creek bed with the others and suggests, ”Although they have bows, by the looks of them the majority would like to clear a gap if we attacked from range. Perhaps we take advantage of our position by shooting the staff holder down at range and let the others close the gap to us. Once they arrive me and Mailoc can hold the line for the archers an casters to finish him off and assist us with the rest.”

If the party feels this is a sound plan he draws a massive longbow out of a Handy Haversack with a quiver of arrows.

Void
2012-10-16, 09:51 PM
Olaf slides up on the creek bed making him hands over feet the easiest of the targets but still taking advantage of the cover of the creek bed. He aims his bow well at target and looks ready to unload the stream of arrows. Though skilled the true bowmen of the party might midget his skills but not his boldness. He rips three shots toward the staff holder.

Attack1:[roll0] Damage [roll1]
Attack2:[roll2] Damage [roll3]
Attack#:[roll4] Damage [roll5]
Surprise round all attacks against flat footed target.

Toliudar
2012-10-16, 10:28 PM
Silene & Polk

Solemnly, Silene and Polk partake of Kurn's berries. Well, Silene partakes solemnly. Polk senses the need for quiet, and contents herself by mugging her enjoyment clearly enough that blind people on the far side of York would understand her.

There seems to be a moment of eye contact between dragon and rider after Olaf relates his plan. Silene nods and unslings a slender, flexible bow. To human eyes, it seems a child's toy, but she handles it with assurance.

"You have my bow."

Polk flexes a claw, and a slender green stick pops into a forelimb.

"And my, um, wand. Doesn't have the same ring to it, does it? Anyway, I can help make all of you arrow flingers better at it. Which seems like a very good thing. And then...I'll make it harder for the others to come charging at you. Which also seems like a very good thing."

Once the others seem ready, Polk will use her wand of Blessed Aim to give everyone +2 morale on ranged attack rolls. She then tucks away that wand and pulls out her wand of Silent Image, preparing to cast.

In a surprise round, barring any other adjustments for others' actions, Silene will launch a single arrow at the staff-wielding bull-man.
Attack: [roll0] Force Damage (also counts as good): [roll1]. It deals an extra [roll2] damage if the target is an evil outsider.

Togo
2012-10-17, 06:14 PM
Kurn nods, and then holds out his hand. Twin streams of fire stream from his goggled eyes into his upturned palm, filling in an apple-sized ball of yellow flame. It is pure, and golden, and neither flickers nor smokes.

Until, with an apologetic shrug, he throws it at the minotaurs, whereupon it is flame, expanding flame, that smokes, and streams, and burns.

Casting fireball at the minotaurs, as I don't want to suffer all those range penalties for attacking with a bow.

fire damage [roll0] to minotaurs within a 20' radius, Reflex DC 16 for half damage

DrK
2012-10-19, 08:30 AM
With a great braying and howling the minotaurs vanish in a wave of flames before a hail of arrows bury themselves in muscular flesh and sinew.

The response is immediate as great bellows turn to face the party and legs kick up the ground as the prepare to charge...

Surprise round done

Please all take your Round 1

Void
2012-10-19, 05:46 PM
Olaf stoically continues his volley.

If it matters all previous rolls in the surprise round would have had a + 2 morale from Polks blessing. Had forgotten to include the +1 I would of gotten from Kurn but it is moot with Polk for ranged attacks.

Attack 1[roll0] Damage 1[roll1]
Attack 2[roll2] Damage 2[roll3]
Attack 3[roll4] Damage 3[roll5]

Toliudar
2012-10-20, 02:21 PM
Silene & Polk

Silene grinds her right foot into the dirt, bracing herself for nastiness to come. She draws and fires three more shimmering arrows, aiming for the staff-holder if she can see it.

Full attack:
Attack: [roll0] Force dmg: [roll1] Extra damage if evil outsiders: [roll2]
Attack: [roll3] Force dmg: [roll4] Extra damage if evil outsiders: [roll5]
Attack: [roll6] Force dmg: [roll7] Extra damage if evil outsiders: [roll8]

Polk's nostrils flare as the smell of decay and fresh blood wafts across the field from upwind. Still clutching her magic stick, she pushes off into the air, covering half the distance to the bull-men.

"Those horns and teeth look awfully nasty. I think it will be best for all of us if they don't get too close."

"Well, yes, but what do you have in mind?"

"I've been practicing a new trick."

Polk - double move to fly up to a height of 50', and
move about 100' forward towards the nasties.

OMG PONIES
2012-10-22, 08:28 PM
Michelle Easton

Michelle takes her preferred combat form as the group decides how to respond to the minotaur threat. Her face recedes into the shadows of her hood and her skin turns an odd shade of grayish-purple. "I can feel them," she rasps, "Their thoughts test the boundaries of my perception like toes on a chilly pool. Little do those toes know what lurks beneath..."

Surprise Round Action
Fire shortbow at the staffholder if standing after allied attacks [roll0] for [roll1] damage plus [roll2] sneak attack damage. Additionally, if the staffholder survives, it must make a DC 20 Fortitude save or be staggered for one round.

Round One

Michelle smirks as the minotaurs prepare to charge. She stows her shortbow in her pack and draws her daggers. "Come to me, children," she whispers. "I can sense you, but you shall not feel my presence." As she whispers, she becomes little more than a whisper herself, fading from view until she resembles a moving shadow.

Activate Shadow Cloak for 40% concealment as well as Knowledge Devotion (w/ Collector of Stories) [roll3] for a +1 insight bonus to attacks and damage.

Togo
2012-10-24, 06:53 AM
Kurn considers carefully...

If there are enough plants around to support an entangle spell, then I'll ready an action to cast that as they start to move, centered not on them but on where they would have to move through to get to us. 40' radius, they are entangled if they enter the area and fail a DC 13 reflex save. Even if they pass however, they are subject to half movement going through the effected area, which is 40' radius, so maybe between 40-80 feet to move through? Note that you can't charge through an area that hinders your movement.

If there isn't, then another fireball, getting as many as possible.
[roll0] Reflex DC 17 for half. (Last time should have been DC 17 as well).

Once it's decided whether I can entange or not, I'll edit this with the appropriate description.

DrK
2012-10-24, 12:47 PM
@OMG PONIES
How ca you sneak from 200ft?

A shower of arrows rips through the air like a storm of darts that stud the hide of the beasts causing dark red blood to flow freely. As that happens they turn and race towards the party, all 4 of the aggressive warrior monsters racing forward their massive weapons in hand. As they close the distance however the veryy ground recoils to the presence as the spirits of the land writhe and move engulfing the great beasts.

Mino 1 [roll0]
Mino 2 [roll1]
Mino 3 [roll2]
Mino 4 [roll3]

They were running to move 160ft towards you.
How close would they get before the entangle ends their run movement

The staff wielder brushes aside the arrows, and with a wave of the staff a violent cauldron of air begins to whip up around him surrounding him from the tiny pin pricks

OMG PONIES
2012-10-24, 12:54 PM
Michelle Easton

"Olaf," the changeling whispers to the Norseman, her words chilling his bones in ways the cold no longer could, "will you join me in attacking the staff holder?"

Void
2012-10-26, 06:20 PM
Olaf drops his bow close to his allies before he takes to a sprint across the field and drawing his two blades. His movement only drifts enough to prevent the ensnared minotaur’s from taking attacks of opportunity against him.

Full run x4 movement for total of 140 feet.
AC:27
HP:101/101
Temp HP [roll0]
Dodge Focus on Staff Wielder for +1 AC
Magic Effects: Blink (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/blink.htm)

Toliudar
2012-11-05, 02:00 PM
Silene and Polk

Silene pulls up her bow as she sees the wind whip up around the magicking bullman. Pursing her lips briefly in frustration, she simply switches target to one of the advancing axe-swingers, intent on driving him down before they could reach the dry creekbed.

From her vantage above, Polk also sees the staff-wielder whip up a wall of wind, but whereas Silene sees frustration of her goal, Polk sees a challenge.

"Hey, I wonder what it would be like to go through magical wind. Do you think that it would feel any different than an ordinary sea breeze. I wonder how it might influence my own mighty magical form. Perhaps I will emerge from the other side transformed into an engine of destruction, intent on the removal of fiendy man-cows from the face of the farmland.

Ooh. Humans eat cows. Have you given any thought to the possibility that these are some kind of divine vengeance wreaked upon them by the angry spirits of hundreds of roast beefs? That these five are somehow the embodiment of the misdirected rage and hurt of centuries of cow-kind?"

"Uh. No, Polk. I hadn't thought of that. Perhaps we should discuss a peace treaty between humans and cows AFTER we've finished dealing with the man-eating bull-men?"

"Always so linear, Silene! You'll never be a great hero until you learn to think more broadly!"

Dipping down through the staff-wavers wall, Polk is buffeted about, but soon gets her bearings again. She coughs a blast of flame and phlegm down upon the staff-wielder, where the flames seem to cling to the bull-man's body. Polk soars on past the creature, wheeling about to observe the effects.

So sorry for the delay. October was a bit crazy, and I lost track of the thread.

Silene full-attacks one of the axe-swinging bull-men, choosing an injured target if possible.
Arrow 1: [roll0] Force dmg: [roll1] Extra if evil outsider: [roll2]
Arrow 2: [roll3] Force dmg: [roll4] Extra if evil outsider: [roll5]
Arrow 1: [roll6] Force dmg: [roll7] Extra if evil outsider: [roll8]

Polk will fly down 5' and 200' forward, which should put her about 75' behind the staff-wielding bull-man at the end of her motion. During this motion, she'll use flyby attack to unleash her breath down onto the caster when she's directly overhead. Using Entangling Exhalation and Enlarge breath, she'll do only [roll9] fire damage (reflex DC 24 for half), and if the bullman takes damage he is entangled for [roll10] rounds.
She will be able to use her breath weapon again in [roll11] rounds.

Toliudar
2012-11-05, 02:05 PM
Silene, confirming crit:
Shot #3: attack: [roll0] Force dmg: [roll1]

Togo
2012-11-06, 08:40 AM
Kurn goes uncharacteristiacally quiet, focusing on two fingers held together before his eyes. With sweat on his brow he tries to pull them apart, harder, harder, his knuckles growing white with the strain.

Ying-Yi, Ying-Ya, some help please?

With a faintly audible snap, his fingers fly apart. Across the battlefield, with a noticeably louder answering snap, an electrical bolt arcs along the line of advancing minotaurs.

Arc of lightning, does [roll0] damage, Reflex DC 17 for half. Hits all minotaurs in a line - the line doesn't need to start or end anywhere near Kurn.

DrK
2012-11-06, 04:58 PM
Minotaur flesh crackles and burns as the arcing lightning flashes between them leaving them roaring in pain as muscle and flesh pops and crackles.
At the rear of the charging beasts the dragon mounted warrior lets fly a terrifying barrage of arrows and one the great beast creatures- still shrouded in ozone topples forward as the trio stab into the beast's neck sending it collapsing forwards choking on death.

THe dragon's breath cascading over the caster sends a whirlwind of flame spinning around the great beast but not really harming the savage spell caster.

Two of the minoaturs - the two that had escaped the entange rumble towards the advancing fighters. Both moving up to Olaf, heavy curved blades swinging with devastating force...

Both move to attack Olaf
[roll0] Damage [roll1]
[roll2] Damage [roll3]

The third drops the axe drawing the heavy bow off his back as massive barbed spear speed towards the young dragon high in the air...

[roll4] Damage [roll5]

The caster ducks away from the flames that lap around him before rearing up a snarl on his face as he gestures with the staff, the skulls and talismans crackling and shaking as they drip with dark blood and the sky around Silene and Polk darkens and blackens as a great cloud of doom and darkness swell around them... the cloud leeching their life force and trying to leave them weak and crippled.

Unholy Blight [roll6] x1.5 and sickened for [roll7] rounds
Will DC 21 for half damage and no sickened

Toliudar
2012-11-06, 11:08 PM
Silene & Polk

You know, I'd assumed that Silene was not mounted on Polk, but didn't actually say that anywhere...so let's run with them being together!

Silene will save: [roll0]
Polk will save: [roll1]. Caster must beat SR 23 (I'll assume he/she does unless I hear otherwise.

Toliudar
2012-11-07, 12:10 AM
Dragon and rider lurch in mid-air as the dark cloud forms around them, clutching at their faces, fouling Polk's wings. With a mighty convulsion, the dragon's breakfast splatters across the soft earth of the farm's garden.

"Are you all right?"

"Do I...seem all right? I haven't felt this aweful since I had to fight my way out of that infernal egg. That's...awful. Forget a negotiated settlement with cows. We're dining on steak! Um. Ulp!"

A bit more vomit spurts out of the dragon before she regains a modicum of control.

"Tomorrow."

The dragon darted up out of the cloud of darkness, angling around to prepare to dive down at the magic bull-man in a moment. In the meantime, she reaches into the power of her belt to blunt the force of the cloud's draining. Now past the wall of swirling wind, Silene aims a single arrow at the caster, then nimbly switches her bow into the saddle's loop, drawing out her slender lance in its place.

"Ready."

Silene standard action attack: [roll0] Damage: [roll1] If a fiend: [roll2]
Move action to swap her lance into hand.

Polk - move action to fly to 100' up from the caster minotaur, and about 20' over. Standard action to activate her healing belt - 1 charge: [roll3]

Void
2012-11-07, 07:30 PM
The aim of the large beast seems true, but with lightning speed Olaf’s blades rise to meet the huge weapon of his advisories. While a strong, man one would be certain that a one handed parry from any man would not stop such huge creatures and then he spins in place sending the heavy curved blades of his enemies in opposing directions leaving a grin on Olaf’s face as one can tell he is at home on the battlefield.

”Michelle let me know when you are in place.” he announces. Holding the attention of the two beast as Michelle moves into position he chooses to unleash his wrath on the one standing mostly between him and the staff holder.

Attack1 [roll0] Damage [roll1]
Attack2 [roll2] Damage [roll3]
Attack3 [roll4] Damage [roll5]
Attack4 [roll6] Damage [roll7]
Attack5 [roll8] Damage [roll9]

AC:27
HP:101/101
Temp HP:12
Dodge Focus on Staff Wielder for +1 AC
Magic Effects: Blink

Void
2012-11-07, 07:35 PM
Crit Confirmations for attack 1 and 2 for x2 damage.

Attack 1 [roll0] Damage 16
Attack 2 [roll1] Damage 14

OMG PONIES
2012-11-08, 12:19 AM
Michelle Easton

"Will do," the woman whispers as she uncorks a vial of potion and disappears from sight. "you'll hear two quick whistles before I strike." With that, she disappears from sight. Her footsteps are heard padding off toward the staff carrier.

Standard Action: quaff potion of Invisibility
Move Action: move toward staff bearer...how far away is he now from Michelle?

Togo
2012-11-08, 05:51 PM
Kurn nods. Ok, that's good, now we need to... Hey, where are you two going? Careful, you'll hit someon-erk!

Kunr convulses, his hands flying up to clasp together, and then wrench violently apart. A second bluewhite arc erupts between the minotaurs.

Arc of lightning again, starting in between the two that are facing Olaf, and trying to find a line that would intersect either the staffweilder, the bow weilder, or both.

Damage reflex save DC 17 for half damage