PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.5: What flying companions are available to a Ranger?

INoKnowNames
2012-08-13, 06:05 PM
4 Notes, regardless of the basic rules over each subject.

1) Assume a Medium Animal Companion is ruled to be able to carry a Medium Sized Ride, provided no encumbrance issues.

2) Assume an Animal Companion is ruled to advance in size if possible due to hit dice increases provided by it's master.

3) A general list of possible fliers would be nice, though such a flier that could help carry a group of people (average sized party of 6 for example) would be noteworthy.

4) And Technically, it's a Wizard with the Familiar Traded to an Animal Companion, although the levels are technically the same.

What are some options? Darn half strength companions...

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2012-08-13, 06:47 PM
A Dire Bat and a Dire Eagle (RoS) are both available as 'level -3' companions, and they're probably your best choices. At half-progression they're available at 8th level, or at 4th level if you take the feat Natural Bond.

Randomguy
2012-08-13, 07:25 PM
At level 6 (for you, level 3 for druids) an eagle advances to medium size, and under your house rules can carry a medium creature. It's carrying capacity probably wouldn't be too good, though.

I don't know about Dire Eagles, but Dire Bats become Huge at level 6 for druids and at level 12 for you, but you can get that down to level 8 with Natural Bond.

But then again, if you're going to spend a feat on natural bond, it might be better to just have a familiar and spend a feat on Wild Cohort (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20031118a), which gives you an animal companion (ish) as a druid of your level -3. It's worse than your 1/2 druid's companion+4 at low levels, but it catches up at around level 12, so it depends on what level you start at.

Kane0
2012-08-13, 08:22 PM
Possibly a young roc, they get big very fast.

Coidzor
2012-08-13, 09:22 PM
This is the most complete list of animal companions I've found so far. (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=roncjll38a130v20qp90ua5v97&topic=940.0;msg=5875)

It'd require a little bit of extrapolation with the size increases available/applicable, but it's probably not going to alter the matchup between flying companions all that much.

INoKnowNames
2012-08-14, 11:23 PM
A Dire Bat and a Dire Eagle (RoS) are both available as 'level -3' companions, and they're probably your best choices. At half-progression they're available at 8th level, or at 4th level if you take the feat Natural Bond.

How exactly does the math work with Natural Bond vs Characters with Half Progression? Because it seems like it wouldn't be worth as much for someone who doesn't get equal druid levels... or maybe I'm just not understanding.

At level 6 (for you, level 3 for druids) an eagle advances to medium size, and under your house rules can carry a medium creature. It's carrying capacity probably wouldn't be too good, though.

Are there any other flying animals that advance in size like that?

I wonder why most of the other variant eagles become Magic Beasts with extra Intelligence....

I don't know about Dire Eagles, but Dire Bats become Huge at level 6 for druids and at level 12 for you, but you can get that down to level 8 with Natural Bond.

But then again, if you're going to spend a feat on natural bond, it might be better to just have a familiar and spend a feat on Wild Cohort (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20031118a), which gives you an animal companion (ish) as a druid of your level -3. It's worse than your 1/2 druid's companion+4 at low levels, but it catches up at around level 12, so it depends on what level you start at.

I haven't decided what to trade the familiar away for yet if I were to go this route. However, I don't think I'm missing anything from an Animal Companion by making it a Wild Cohort instead... if I'm correct, just a lesser Link (which isn't much of an issue to me), no Multi-Attack (all I'm looking for is a cool (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/BigBadassBirdOfPrey), winged (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/DragonRider), transport (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/CoolAirship), possibly for the entire party (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/GiantFlyer), so attacking isn't a priority for it), and slightly less numbers in the rest of it's abilities in compared to a full strength animal companion. I'm kinda liking the idea of a Wild Cohort instead... what would some other options be then?

Possibly a young roc, they get big very fast.

What's the difference between a Young Roc and a Roc when it comes to animal companions? Where is a young roc's stats, anyway? I've only seen just a Roc. And a Chaos Roc, but that's not an animal companion option, as far as I know.

This is the most complete list of animal companions I've found so far. (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=roncjll38a130v20qp90ua5v97&topic=940.0;msg=5875)

It'd require a little bit of extrapolation with the size increases available/applicable, but it's probably not going to alter the matchup between flying companions all that much.

Dragonhawk looks interesting.... Just a -name- like that makes it worth checking...

Randomguy
2012-08-15, 12:32 AM
Natural bond makes your Effective Druid level = 1/2 your wizard level +3. So at level 20 you'd get level 13 companions instead of level 10 companions, but at level 10 you'll have level 8 companions instead of level 5 companions. It's a decent pick at low levels.

You could always have the party chip in and buy a mount. If you've got 10,000 extra gp, can make a DC: 35 handle animal check and have 6 months of downtime, then you can buy and rear a Steelwing. It's Huge sized and can seat 4 medium sized characters. And it gets you free Masterwork, Adamantine, Keen arrows.

Anyway, you're a Wizard! you could always planar bind a Half Celestial Tendriculous or something if you feel like it. Not that it would fly much faster than you could walk, but giant flying plants are always fun.
More seriously, a half celestial Wyvern advanced to 9HD would be Huge sized. And most dragons (most things, actually) only get to huge sized at 20HD, so that's a plus. It also opens up a dragon rider prestige class for your party members.

Speaking of wizard, couldn't you just cast overland flight, share it with your animal companion and then use it to fly? The Giant Crocodile (huge) is available 3 (or 6) levels before the Dragonhawk is.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2012-08-15, 12:33 AM
How exactly does the math work with Natural Bond vs Characters with Half Progression? Because it seems like it wouldn't be worth as much for someone who doesn't get equal druid levels... or maybe I'm just not understanding.

It gives you +3 to your effective Druid level for your animal companion's benefits, but no higher than your total character level. That means that if you're counting half your Wizard levels, then you're considered a (Wizard/2)+3 level Druid, which cannot exceed your character level. So up Wizard 6 you'll count as a Druid of the same level for your animal companion's benefits and all other things regarding an animal companion, such as when you can obtain a more powerful companion.

INoKnowNames
2012-08-15, 01:13 AM
It gives you +3 to your effective Druid level for your animal companion's benefits, but no higher than your total character level. That means that if you're counting half your Wizard levels, then you're considered a (Wizard/2)+3 level Druid, which cannot exceed your character level. So up Wizard 6 you'll count as a Druid of the same level for your animal companion's benefits and all other things regarding an animal companion, such as when you can obtain a more powerful companion.

Natural bond makes your Effective Druid level = 1/2 your wizard level +3. So at level 20 you'd get level 13 companions instead of level 10 companions, but at level 10 you'll have level 8 companions instead of level 5 companions. It's a decent pick at low levels.

So that +3 applies equally to Rangers as it does to Druids then, rather than being added to their levels and being worth half to Rangers. Good at low levels, though by the time I get the feat it won't be as cool.

You could always have the party chip in and buy a mount.

While I could, I'm playing a more back-seat kinda character. Being able to provide for them, rather than merely helping chip in.

If you've got 10,000 extra gp, can make a DC: 35 handle animal check and have 6 months of downtime, then you can buy and rear a Steelwing. It's Huge sized and can seat 4 medium sized characters. And it gets you free Masterwork, Adamantine, Keen arrows.

I never really understood trained animals vs animal companions and such. It's been an unwritten rule for me that any character who has a pet has to have an animal companion. How much do I have to learn about this?

Anyway, you're a Wizard! you could always planar bind a Half Celestial Tendriculous or something if you feel like it.

Not doing summoning / binding schenanigans this game. Besides, I don't even know what a Tendriculous is. It sounds ridiculous, even before being Half Celestial.

Not that it would fly much faster than you could walk, but giant flying plants are always fun.

.... how does a plant even fly in the first place?

More seriously, a half celestial Wyvern advanced to 9HD would be Huge sized. And most dragons (most things, actually) only get to huge sized at 20HD, so that's a plus. It also opens up a dragon rider prestige class for your party members.

I was wondering about the Dragon Cohort feat, actually, although essentially playing a second character isn't something I'm interested in. Dumb Animals are funner in that way.

Although a Wyvern sounds cool...

Speaking of wizard, couldn't you just cast overland flight, share it with your animal companion and then use it to fly? The Giant Crocodile (huge) is available 3 (or 6) levels before the Dragonhawk is.

I suppose that is an option, but I'm -really- looking more for something that naturally flies, rather than needing to use a spell to enable it. Dragonhawk sounds -so- bad ass...

Randomguy
2012-08-15, 09:49 AM
I never really understood trained animals vs animal companions and such. It's been an unwritten rule for me that any character who has a pet has to have an animal companion. How much do I have to learn about this?

You can just buy a mount the same way you buy equipment, though your DM might rule that it's harder to get your hands on a steelwing than on a pack mule. The difference is that normal animals don't get bonus HD and don't learn bonus tricks. The details for dealing with animals in general should be under the Handle Animal skill.

.... how does a plant even fly in the first place?

The half celestial template gives it wings. I kind of screwed up there, though, the Tendriculos (I got the spelling wrong earlier, too) only has 3 int, and it needs at least 4 int to qualify for the template. I was mostly going for the Rule of Funny.

It would really help to know what level you're starting or what level you want to have the mount for.
So far it looks like your best option is to start off with an Eagle, which becomes Medium and mountable at effective Druid level 3 (under your rules). Then at Druid Level 4 is the Dire bat, which is large and has a good strength score so it actually has a chance of being able to carry you. Dire bat becomes Huge, and a party sized mount, at Druid level 6. If you hit Wizard level 9 before effective Druid Level 6, you can cast Greater Enlarge Person (a level 5 spell), and use share spells to make it huge sized for 1 hour per caster level. Then, at effective Druid level 10, you can get a dragonhawk.

INoKnowNames
2012-08-21, 12:08 AM
You can just buy a mount the same way you buy equipment, though your DM might rule that it's harder to get your hands on a steelwing than on a pack mule. The difference is that normal animals don't get bonus HD and don't learn bonus tricks. The details for dealing with animals in general should be under the Handle Animal skill.

Oh. So, in theory, one could make friendly with several birds and have a free party transport.....

The half celestial template gives it wings. I kind of screwed up there, though, the Tendriculos (I got the spelling wrong earlier, too) only has 3 int, and it needs at least 4 int to qualify for the template. I was mostly going for the Rule of Funny.

I see. Holy Flying Plant is kinda amusing to say, especially when it'd be completely true under the circumstances.

It would really help to know what level you're starting or what level you want to have the mount for.
So far it looks like your best option is to start off with an Eagle, which becomes Medium and mountable at effective Druid level 3 (under your rules). Then at Druid Level 4 is the Dire bat, which is large and has a good strength score so it actually has a chance of being able to carry you. Dire bat becomes Huge, and a party sized mount, at Druid level 6. If you hit Wizard level 9 before effective Druid Level 6, you can cast Greater Enlarge Person (a level 5 spell), and use share spells to make it huge sized for 1 hour per caster level. Then, at effective Druid level 10, you can get a dragonhawk.

I've got a specific reason I hate bats. (http://www.cracked.com/article_19921_6-terrifying-bats-you-wont-believe-arent-photoshopped.html) (This link might not be safe for work, based on your mental fortitude.)

And the option to gain the companion would most likely be at level 9 or 12, when a feat could be used on Wild Cohort, though we're starting a little lower than that right now.