PDA

View Full Version : jade phoenix mage for psionics

limejuicepowder
2012-08-13, 08:04 PM
In one of my games I am playing a warblade 1/wilder 6 (just got to 7th level). The game is a zombie survival type game, and my character was designed around front line fighting with a healthy dose of psionic blasting. So far, it's been working great.

However, as the levels go up my melee abilities are beginning to fail me - the single level of warblade just isn't enough any more. If I was an arcane caster, Jade Phoenix Mage would be the answer to all of my problems, even the problems that haven't come up yet.

In anticipation of my DM saying "yes" to reworking the class to fit psionics, what does the playground think of 1 spell level = 2 power points when it comes to the Phoenix's class abilities? (Just to clarify with an example, if a psionic character spent 4 power points as a swift action to use arcane wrath, he would gain a +4 attack bonus and 2d10 damage bonus to his next attack, as if he had spent a 2nd level spell slot). Normal limits on PP expenditure would still apply.

With that translation, the class is psionic-ready.

Edit: oh I forgot about the increased casting level stances it gives....I was thinking 1 free power point, same as wild surge, but it only works to increase dice rolled (thus it would enhance energy ray, but it couldn't be used to increase the armor bonus from force shield).

Edit, part 2: Forget what I said about in the first edit, increasing casting level should just increase manifestor level....duh.

Answerer
2012-08-13, 08:12 PM
Generally speaking, I'm not sure why you can't just replacing the Spellcasting blurb with the stock-standard Psionics blurb taken from the Elocator or Slayer or something, and then just replacing all instances of "Caster" with "Manifester".

limejuicepowder
2012-08-13, 08:19 PM
Generally speaking, I'm not sure why you can't just replacing the Spellcasting blurb with the stock-standard Psionics blurb taken from the Elocator or Slayer or something, and then just replacing all instances of "Caster" with "Manifester".

Because the JPM has class abilities that involve the expenditure of spell slots, which a psionic character would have none of. I'm asking for a reasonable rate of exchange between spells slots and power points.

Psyren
2012-08-13, 08:21 PM
Jade Phoenix Mind abilities (Note: replace all references to "spells" or "arcane spells" with "powers.")

- Mystic Phoenix Stance: You gain DR/evil = 1 + PP spent. You may not spend more than 9 PP on this ability. Rest unchanged.

- Empowering Strike: Unchanged.

- Firebird Stance: You can choose to spend any number of PP (up to your manifester level) when you activate this stance. You gain an aura that deals Xd6 points of damage to all creatures within 10ft., where X is half the number of PP you spent rounded up. (Reflex half, DC 14+KAM.) Half the damage is fire, while the other half is raw phrenic energy (untyped.)

-Jade Phoenix Master: Unchanged.

-Quickening Strike: Unchanged.

-Emerald Immolation: Unchanged.

Answerer
2012-08-13, 08:27 PM
Because the JPM has class abilities that involve the expenditure of spell slots, which a psionic character would have none of. I'm asking for a reasonable rate of exchange between spells slots and power points.
Oh right.

Two options: base cost of a power of the same level (i.e. 2n-1), for 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11, 13, 15, 17. Or use the scheme that Metapsionics use: 2 PP discount from those numbers, but you must expend Psionic Focus.

limejuicepowder
2012-08-13, 08:36 PM
- stuff -

Thanks, I like the look of that. Hopefully my DM will too.

How would you handle arcane wrath though?

Dusk Eclipse
2012-08-13, 08:38 PM
If your DM is open to homebrew, I love Eldariel's Ephemeral Blade (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5883542) for ToB psy-gishes.

Answerer
2012-08-13, 08:45 PM
Thanks, I like the look of that. Hopefully my DM will too.

How would you handle arcane wrath though?
I'm not Psyren, but Arcane Wrath is what I was referring to here:

Two options: base cost of a power of the same level (i.e. 2n-1), for 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11, 13, 15, 17. Or use the scheme that Metapsionics use: 2 PP discount from those numbers, but you must expend Psionic Focus.

Feralventas
2012-08-13, 09:31 PM
While I do think the JPM alterations above should suffice, I think I should note that a dip into Warblade would still progress it's utility with about the same amount of caster level sacrifice.

Specifically, the initiator multi-class rules treat your non-initiator levels as 1/2 your initiator level for the purpose of your over-all IL as well as for what maneuvers you qualify for.

This means that with WBL1/WLD6, your IL is 4, so your next level in Warblade, though it would only net you 1 maneuver, would be able to select up to 3rd level maneuvers since that 2nd level of Warblade would be your 5th initiator level.

I'd suggest you pick maneuvers that stack well at any level; White Raven Tactics, Iron Heart Surge, things that are useful at a number of situations rather than just the +2d6 to damage or the like.