PDA

View Full Version : [4e] Tomb of Horrors IC Part 2

Katana_Geldar
2012-08-13, 08:08 PM
From here

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=13721671#post13721671

When last we left our heroes, Travok was being attacked by the table but the table missed.

Shadow_Elf
2012-08-16, 08:30 PM
Desrook
Desrook rushes to the door on the other side of the room and tries to open it.

Katana_Geldar
2012-08-17, 01:23 AM
The door opens easily to reveal...a bare wall! Imprenetrable and solid.

Shadow_Elf
2012-08-17, 06:29 AM
Desrook
Knowing that this place is fond of deceptions, Desrook tries pressing his hand against the solid wall; if it is indeed a wall, he'll double back out of the room to his other companions.

Katana_Geldar
2012-08-17, 05:02 PM
The wall is solid enough, there's no getting through.

Shadow_Elf
2012-08-18, 11:29 PM
Desrook
The dwarf retreats from the chamber, leaving the game tables behind him. 'At's a dead end. Let's git outta here afore these tables convince us to stay an' play ferever.

Katana_Geldar
2012-08-19, 04:03 AM
Desrook

As you walk through the centre of the room, you feel the table attack you again. But it fails and you're unscathed.

[roll0] vs Will
[roll1]

Armer
2012-08-19, 04:17 AM
Ghamed

A lucky escape. We could have been trapped there for a while.

Katana_Geldar
2012-08-22, 07:39 PM
Travok

Travok walks away from the roulette table and back towards the rest of the party.

Katana_Geldar
2012-08-22, 07:43 PM
Travok

The roulette table attempts to attack you as you leave the room. Unfortunately it succeeds, and Travok is drawn back to the roulette table.

[roll0] vs Will
[roll1]

Nai_Calus
2012-08-31, 07:40 PM
"Travok, what are you doing? Get out of there!" Rynthel commands, moving into the room to grab the dwarf and try to drag him from the room.

Katana_Geldar
2012-09-03, 08:10 PM
You manage to get Travok out of the game room and head back to the campground where Arthur and KT are. The warforged is standing guard and Arthur is still bent over one of the bodies, reciting carefully.

You settle in and after a few hours of rest, he's finished. The woman opens her eyes and takes a deep breath and looks around, she looks strangely at you but is comforted by Arthur's presence.

Arthur then goes to start raising the second body, that of the boy, while the woman recovers.

DSCrankshaw
2012-09-04, 08:02 AM
Travok - Dwarf Battlemind

"Welcome back, miss," Travok says. "I am Travok. We were wondering who you are, and what happened to you here."

Shadow_Elf
2012-09-04, 10:35 AM
Desrook
Bwahaha! Would ya look at that, deva? Looks like there's a new member a' tha' club! laughs Desrook, likely referring to his ironic catchphrase "you only live once". Name's Desrook, ma'am, an' I'm itchin' ta hear what ye were doin' here meself!

EnglishKitsune
2012-09-05, 02:48 AM
Asara

The woman would sit up slowly, looking around the campsite as if regaining her surroundings. Looking back at the rag-tag bunch of people arrayed in front of her she would bow her head in greeting before speaking.

"I am Asara, and I was here on a mission for the High Priest Velir, to look into the attacks on caravans. Needless to say it did not go as well as we hoped."

She would stand and stretch, before noticing a lack of weight around her neck. Her eyes narrowed as she looked around her.

"What has happened to my symbol? Also my armour and weapon."

Shadow_Elf
2012-09-05, 07:54 AM
Desrook
Aye lass, we found some githyanki who'd gone an' looted yer, ah, corpse. I've got yer things right here, replies Desrook, reaching into his bag and extracting the human equipment they took back from the gith and placing it on the ground.

Nai_Calus
2012-09-06, 07:10 AM
Rynthel steps forward and extends a hand in greeting, the diminutive drow having to look up at the taller human.

"My apologies that we were not here to help when you were under attack. I'm Rynthel," he says, giving her a reassuring smile.

bladescape
2012-09-10, 10:13 AM
'Eris.' Came the half-blunt introduction. 'You were set upon by a dragon.'

EnglishKitsune
2012-09-11, 08:32 AM
The Paladin would nod, and upon hearing that her possessions were touched by Githyanki, scowled and retrieving a waterskin from her flask began to scrub down her armour and sword. Once they were scrubbed clean she would start As she did she would begin to tell her story.

"There were four of us. All loyal Paladins of Pelor. We traveled here secretly, posing as traders hoping to lure the bandits out. Unfortunately, it didn't work, we arrived in Arvrenar unharmed.

That was where we met Eledseri, the Three Bells Bartender, and Lathron. She wasn't much help. The boy however, mentioned he knew about a nearby portal, which I'm guessing you must have also found. He led us to it. We ordered him home, he merely waited till we'd crossed into this realm then followed. We had no choice but to let him follow for the time being. But he fell when we encountered a group of Githyanki. Possibly scouts related to the ones you found. I stayed here, to keep guard over his body while the others explored the ruins. Last I remember was me preparing to revive him when I heard wing beats. That's all I remember...

She would finish strapping the last piece of plate into place, then murmur a short prayer, after which the Armour faded out with a golden glow. Sheathing her sword and draping the symbol over her neck she looked up at them all and gave a determined smile.

"Is this dragon still around? I believe I owe it some payback."

Shadow_Elf
2012-09-13, 10:01 PM
Desrook
Bwahaha! I like the cut a' your jib, lass. I'm not knowin' whether the Lich Bitch's dragon's still around here, but if it is, we'll give it somethin' ta write home 'bout! Bwahaha!

Katana_Geldar
2012-09-16, 05:20 PM
You share your stories with Asara and then make preparations for the night, spreading out your bedrolls and lighting a fire. Some time during the night, Arthur finishes the second resurrection ritual and awakens the boy, but only one of you, KT who is on watch, is aware of this.

Arthur helps Lathron get to sleep, then lies down himself. Hours later, the sun rises and it's a new day.

DSCrankshaw
2012-09-16, 09:39 PM

"Back to the gameroom, I suppose," Travok says. "Anyone think of any way to get past the blasted thing?"

Shadow_Elf
2012-09-16, 10:28 PM
Desrook
'Twas a dead end. There was another passage way there; the game room's there just ta waste yer time, the door on tha other side's even fake. We ought ta just walk past it to find whatever's left ta find in that secret passage. By the by, what verses a that puzzle have we not spent yet? This blasted place might 'ave a few more tricks up its sleeve fer us.

Armer
2012-09-18, 06:26 PM
Ghamed

I Agree with Desrook. the game room would seem to be there to trap us. perhaps even to prevent us from continuing on down the other passage way. Remember the sounds we heard? A perfect lure!

DSCrankshaw
2012-09-18, 06:29 PM

"So we ignore it and continue on?" Travok says. "Fine by me, I suppose."

Katana_Geldar
2012-09-19, 07:48 AM
Lathron

As you are talking the boy wakes up. He looks around, rubs his eyes, looks around and rubs his eyes again.
"Where am I? What happened? Where is my sister? Who are you?"

Shadow_Elf
2012-09-22, 12:57 AM
Desrook
Adventurers, lad, here ta cleanse this bloody graveyard a' tha magic what taints it. I'm not fer knowin' who yer sister is; maybe Father Arthur's got a better idea a' that, replies Desrook offhandedly to the boy.

EnglishKitsune
2012-09-22, 01:52 AM
Asara would move over to Lathron and kneel in front of him.

"You've died once already on this adventure Lathron, and most people don't get a second chance. I'm ordering you to return with Father Arthur to your sister. And to not venture near this portal again. You're a good boy, with a bright future ahead of you. Don't waste it doing something foolish."

Moving to Arthur she would clasp him on the shoulder and say "Father, make sure this boy returns home safe, and then return to the high priest, the presence of a feyportal and Githyanki here makes this matter more serious than we originally thought."

Katana_Geldar
2012-09-23, 11:43 PM
KT volunteers to accompany Arthur and you strike camp, say your farewells and head your seperate ways. It's not long until you're back in the chamber between the game room and the room you have yet to explore.

DSCrankshaw
2012-09-24, 08:34 AM
Travok glares at the game room, but turns to Desrook. "So, are you going to check the door?"

Shadow_Elf
2012-09-24, 12:15 PM
Desrook
Bwaha! Aye, Travok, I'll take a gander.

Thievery: [roll0]
Perception: [roll1]

Katana_Geldar
2012-09-24, 06:41 PM
Map update

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v457/Katana_Geldar/Tomb%20of%20Horrors/Corridor.png

Shadow_Elf
2012-09-25, 12:36 PM
Desrook
The undead dwarf takes the lead, scanning for traps and hazards as they make their way down the unexplored corridor.

Nai_Calus
2012-09-25, 02:49 PM
Eltain takes up position just behind Desrook, his spear held at the ready.

"I hate this entire place. If it isn't horrid traps or wretched monsters, it's awful narrow corridors. Well, nothing for it." He smirks. "You'd think a drow would be more used to dark narrow passages. What I get for being born on the surface, I guess."

Katana_Geldar
2012-09-25, 04:29 PM
As you enter the room, you can detect a string smell ahead. A rotting, death smell. And when you emerge into the room you can see them. Three bodies, cut down where they stood.
They are clad in armour and have long swords and shields with Pelor's symbol in them.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v457/Katana_Geldar/Tomb%20of%20Horrors/Corridor2.png

bladescape
2012-09-26, 08:17 AM
Eris

Wrinkling her nose at the smell, the elf shakes her head. 'How many religious warriors were killed in this place.'

Shadow_Elf
2012-09-26, 10:29 AM
Desrook
The corpse smell doesn't really bother Desrook, being a corpse of sorts himself. Didja know these three, lass? I'm not wantin' ta take a step afore we know what did fer em', he asks the paladin. Meanwhile, he looks around the room to see if maybe it was a trap that slew the paladins, rather than a foe.

Perception: [roll0]

Katana_Geldar
2012-09-26, 04:10 PM
Desrook

You can see no traps.

Shadow_Elf
2012-09-26, 04:25 PM
Desrook
The revenant advances into the room cautiously and quietly, and inspects the fallen paladins for clues as to what killed them.

Katana_Geldar
2012-09-26, 05:06 PM
Desrook

From examining the bodies you can see the slash and stab wounds that killed the paladins. Similar to the swords they are holding.

But there's nothing that you can see that could have killed them.

Shadow_Elf
2012-09-26, 05:48 PM
Desrook
The undead grimaces. Even for him, this is rather gruesome. I'm not certain, but from tha look a these wounds, I'm thinkin' that somethin' in 'ere made these folks turn on each other. We ought to be careful goin' forward, sure an' we should.

bladescape
2012-09-29, 11:59 AM
Eris

'Charm magic.' She replies indifferently. 'It shouldn't be too hard to bypass.' Her tone rather disinterested in the curse that brought about the downfall of the men, obviously not realising that not all the party had her own resistance to charms and such.

(Moving up behind Desrook, she glances around the room for signs of danger via traps or living opponents.)

EnglishKitsune
2012-09-30, 07:37 AM
Asara would move forward and kneel by the bodies. Sighing, she would remove the Holy Symbol from around each neck and place them in her pack. She would then stand and do her own investigation of the room.

Perception Check: [roll0]

Katana_Geldar
2012-09-30, 02:48 PM
Asara

There are no traps that you can find, but you take a good took around the room. The walls and floor are emblazoned in eldritch runes that you can't recognise. The room is also a curious shape, all curves and corners, as if it were shaped like a rune itself.

DSCrankshaw
2012-10-06, 04:52 PM
Travok pulls out his hammer, and readies his shield, before entering the room.

Armer
2012-10-09, 05:15 AM
Ghamed

Ghamed carefully enters the room.

Katana_Geldar
2012-10-09, 04:22 PM
Just as Ghamed steps inside, the room plunges into black, inpenetrable darkness. You can't see anything, but you can hear and feel magical winds whistling around you.

Shadow_Elf
2012-10-09, 04:24 PM
Desrook
The revenant draws and strikes a sunrod, trying to illuminate the suddenly dark room.

Katana_Geldar
2012-10-09, 04:57 PM
The sunrod has no effect, you can't even see it in your hand.

Shadow_Elf
2012-10-09, 05:03 PM
Desrook
I'm thinkin' this is darkness fallin', which means soon enough that, if we're to believe the poem, we'll see the risin' a some fearsome foe. I'm thinkin' the paladins offed each other thinkin' they was all beasties. If'n ya see somethin', don't strike unless it strikes ye first, advises the revenant. Not that we can see anythin' 'ere. Anyone remember which way's forward?

Katana_Geldar
2012-10-11, 06:51 AM
The lights flicker back on and you can see again. But things are not as they were. A perfect duplicate now stands next to or close to each of you.

Status

Asara 68/68
Travok 88/88
Desrook 72/72
Ghamed 59/59
Eris 70/70
Rynthel 73/73

Asara1 ??/??
Travok1 ??/??
Desrook1 ??/??
Ghamed1 ??/??
Eris1 ??/??
Rynthel1 ??/??

Map

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v457/Katana_Geldar/Tomb%20of%20Horrors/Deathinthedark0.png

Note

You can try some skill checks or other creative ways to work out who is who.
You'll get a PM from me with your exact location.
Of course, once you dispel this thing you can see things for what they are.

Shadow_Elf
2012-10-11, 10:28 PM
Desrook
Bwahaha! This is why I don't look it mirrors! I'm a mess! roars one of the Desrooks. He continues to chuckle at the other Desrook in front of him.

DSCrankshaw
2012-10-11, 11:18 PM
Travok
HP 94/94 AC 27 Fort 22 Ref 19 Will 23

Travok steps to the north, to avoid becoming trapped between two possible enemies. He doesn't attack right away, but readies his weapon, ready to pound anyone who attacks him.

Move
Shift north 1 square

Standard
Ready Iron Fist to use against the first enemy to attack
[roll0]
[roll1]

Nai_Calus
2012-10-14, 10:40 AM
Rynthel tries to reach out with his mind to feel for the true nature of what's going on here, readying his spear just in case. He shields his right hand from the view of the other Rynthel and and traces the symbol of an eight-pointed star in the air, moving his hand first up and down, then across, then down from the left and down from the right.

Arcana: [roll0]
Insight: [roll1]
I'm also going to trace the sign of an eight-pointed star in the air to try to identify myself to the others, attempting to position my hand so that the fake Rynthel can't see it and try to copy it.

Katana_Geldar
2012-10-14, 07:32 PM
Rynthel

Arcana

You start to feel out for the magic in the room, then a vision completely invades your senses. You're standing somewhere else, perhaps the Shadowfell. It's very cold and you can feel the wind and rain whistling past you. The sky is grey and you're in some sort of tomb or temple, the grey stone lit up by flashes of lighting.
Then you're back in the Feywild in the room with the others. When your senses clear you can detect strong magic. Illusion and teleportation magic.

Insight
For a moment as you look at your double, you can see beyond the illusion, see the hideous creature which has taken your form. Then it flickers back to the illusion.
You didn't see it for long, but you're sure in that moment you could have attacked the false you.

Shadow_Elf
2012-10-14, 07:47 PM
Desrook
So, are these things goin' ta attack us, or did whoever set this room up just figure we'd start killin' each other all willy-nilly? Bwahaha! I'm havin' trouble figurin' how this room had yer paladins choppin' each other up, lassie.

EnglishKitsune
2012-10-19, 08:19 AM
Asara

"Speak not Ill of the dead. Dwarf and bear witness to the true power of faith."

Asara would drop her shield, her hand would become covered in a golden glow as she whispered a silent prayer to Pelor. Running her hand down along her blade it grew in weight and size. when she reached her hilt it expanded to allow her two hands to grip it comfortably.

Swinging her new Greatsword with ease she would bring it smashing down on her doppelganger with a yell.

Minor: Drop Heavy Shield
Minor: Activate Dynamic Weapon: Change from Broadsword to Greatsword
Standard: Righteous Smite on the other Asara

Vs AC : [roll0]

[roll1]

Shadow_Elf
2012-10-19, 08:45 AM
Desrook
Bah, ya stupid wench! Now I'm knowin' why we had ta bring ya back from dead; you and yer friends ain't got eyes fer readin'! The poem clearly said that "the fool, swift strikin' meets their end!" Don't ye think stabbin' em' the first thing yer paladins did?

Reserved that they may now have to fight, Desrook draws his hammer.

bladescape
2012-10-21, 06:16 AM
Eris

Seemingly agreeing with the paladin, the Fay takes a single step towards the copy of her, and swings her fist in one round arm punch, the hand holding the bow tucked carefully away at the other side.

MBA please. No sheet so I can't remember the factors/etc.

Armer
2012-10-23, 05:55 AM
Ghamed

Ghamed rolls his eyes at the Paladin.
Suddenly i'm seeing how these others met their end. Let's not bring her back this time.

We should study these strange dopplegangers to determine where they came from

Arcana to study the Copy Ghamed - [roll0]

Katana_Geldar
2012-10-23, 06:32 AM
The illusion seems to confuse you, you're sure you targeted the right one but somehow your weapon hit one of your allies. Asara slashes Rynthel with her sword instead of her double, and Eris' punch lands on Travok instead of her double.

Ghamed

[roll0]

A vision floods before your eyes. You're no longer standing in the chamber, or perhaps even the same world where you were. The passages around you are made of rough-hewn rock, apparently dug directly through the earth. The floor is worn smoth. Along the walls, further along, a series of images was once painted, but they have largely worn away; you can make out, at most, a few vaguely humanoid figures. There's a sense of emtiness around you-the perculiar feeling that whatever life and magic once flowed through this place are long gone.
Then, in the blink of an eye, you find yourself once more in the Fewwild with your companions around you.

Focusing on your illusory double makes you see through the illusion...for a moment. You think you if get closer you could break the enchantment.

The Ghamed standing behind Travok holds up his hands and casts a spell, fire falls from his fingertips and hits Travok.
The Rythnel standing behind Travok waves his spear and a strong wind billows from his direction, affecting those in front of him.

The Travok closest to the wall slams an attack on the other Travok.

The Asara in the middle of the room stabs at the other Asara.

The Eris at the wall stabs at Desrook with a short sword.

Ghamed is stabbed by the Desrook that is next to him.

Dice rolls

[roll1] vs Reflex at Travok
[roll2] Damage

[roll3] vs Reflex at Travok
[roll4] vs Reflex at Travok
[roll5] vs Reflex at Asara
[roll6] vs Reflex at Asara
[roll7] vs Reflex at Rythnel

Damage [roll8] damage and target is knocked prone.

[roll9] vs AC at Travok
[roll10]

[roll11] vs AC at Asara
[roll12]

[roll13] vs AC at Desrook
[roll14]

[roll15] vs AC at Ghamed
[roll16]

Status

Asara 17/68 Bloodied, Prone
Travok 55/88, Prone
Desrook 55/72
Ghamed 51/59
Eris 70/70
Rynthel 14/73 Bloodied, Prone

Asara1 ??/??
Travok1 ??/??
Desrook1 ??/??
Ghamed1 ??/??
Eris1 ??/??
Rynthel1 ??/??

Map

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v457/Katana_Geldar/Tomb%20of%20Horrors/Deathinthedark1.png

Shadow_Elf
2012-10-23, 05:08 PM
Desrook
Clearly, if we attack those we know're not us, they redirect our attacks. So let's try the opposite, suggests Desrook, leveling his hammer at the Eris that didn't attack him. Apologies in advance, elf, if this ends up breakin' the ribs a' the wrong you, laughs Desrook as he swings at the Eris he knows is the real one.

Standard Action: 1A - Piercing Strike @ Eris

Attack: [roll0] vs. Reflex
Hit: [roll1] damage.

Katana_Geldar
2012-10-23, 06:00 PM
Desrook

You swear you targeted the fake Eris, but you hit the real one instead.

Shadow_Elf
2012-10-23, 06:55 PM
Desrook
He aims for the real one... but then, suddenly, Desrook's thinking he's aimed for the fake one... of course, the result is that he actually hits the real one. Thoroughly confused, Desrook looks at his hammer as if it has betrayed him. Well, that worked about as well as a chicken tryin' ta bugger a tiger, says Desrook, with an apologetic shrug to Eris. Deva! What the blindin' blazes' goin' on 'ere?

Armer
2012-10-23, 08:36 PM
Ghamed

You need to concentrate! You can see through the illusion if you focus on them before you attack!

Shadow_Elf
2012-10-25, 06:21 PM
Desrook
The revenant peers at the scene before him, trying to determine what, exactly, is going on here.

Minor Action: Active Insight
Minor Action: Active Perception

Insight: [roll0]
Perception: [roll1]

Katana_Geldar
2012-10-25, 08:37 PM
Desrook

Perception
Looking around the room has no effect, you can't see more than you can already see.

Insight
Looking closely at the doubles, you can just see through the illusion. But it's not enough time to target one. If you focused on one, you might be able to hit it.

bladescape
2012-10-27, 07:41 PM
Eris

Growling, but moving onto the back foot, the fae glanced around. Not at the duplicates, but looking for something else. This wasn't just a charm or illusion. There was something else at work here.

Perception please. Taking a look for something which isn't to do with the clones.

DSCrankshaw
2012-10-28, 09:51 PM
Travok

Travok tries to see past the illusion.

Minor
[roll0]

I'll decide what else to do based on this.

Katana_Geldar
2012-10-30, 01:43 AM
Eris

Perception

Aside from the carvings on the walls, there really isn't much you can see from where you are. The room is clearly a lot bigger than it looks, with the confusing curving walls concealing some of the corners.

Katana_Geldar
2012-10-30, 01:47 AM
Travok

You can clearly see through the illusion, the Travok in front of you is clearly a fake and you are sure you can attack it and the attack will hit.

DSCrankshaw
2012-10-30, 10:52 PM
HP 55/94 AC 27 Fort 22 Ref 19 Will 23

"This had better work," Travok growls, attempting to pound on the false Travok with his hammer.

Standard
Use Iron Fist
[roll0]
[roll1]
On hit, gain 4 resist all until end of next turn

Minor
Use Battlemind's Demand on the doppelTravok

Katana_Geldar
2012-10-31, 05:56 PM
Travok's blow hits home, his sword connects with his double and draws blood.

bladescape
2012-11-07, 03:34 AM
Eris

Having come to the conclusion that it's some sort of magical defense of the creature itself, the fae glances back to focus on the creature in front of her, pulling her fist back.

Insight on FakeEris. She's going to fail hard unless her Insight is better than I remember...

EDIT: Or she goes critical.

And attempting to slam it forwards into the doppleganger.

EnglishKitsune
2012-11-15, 12:46 PM
Asara would find herself suddenly lying flat next to a likewise shocked Rynthel. She would clasp her symbol for strength, and grab Rynthel's arm with the other, to ensure it was really him she was about to heal. A light would shine over Rynthel as Asara would take a deep breath before standing up again. Eying her doppelganger with a more wary eye. She would call out to the Undead Dwarf who she was gaining a rapid disliking towards.

"Speak ill of my fallen comrades again Dwarf, and I shall see if that head of yours keeps talking once separate from your neck!"

Minor: Insight Check on Prone Rynthel (Bonus for physical contact?) [roll0]
Standard: Second Wind: I regain 20Hp with +2 to all defenses and I trigger my Holy Symbol of Shared Healing to allow Rynthel to also spend a Surge if he so desires.
Move: I stand up.

Shadow_Elf
2012-11-15, 03:58 PM
Desrook
The revenant laughs. Bwahaha! Ye got spunk, lass, sure an' ye do.

Armer
2012-11-15, 06:09 PM
Ghamed

Ghamed rolls his eyes at the Paladin's words

"And now she threatens us! I'm liking this new ally more and more...
Perhaps we should deal with the situation at hand before we start attacking each other on purpose?"

He concentrates on the magical flow in the room, trying to pin down the origin point of the illusion.

Arcana to find illusion origin - [roll0]

Katana_Geldar
2012-11-16, 05:42 AM
Asara

Yes, that definitely is Rynthel you are holding.

Ghamed

[roll0]

You feel the world swirl around you, as if a vision was coming...but you see nothing.

You can find the illusion, it seems that each of the dopplegangers is projecting the illusion onto their own bodies. They seem to be aided by the magic of the room itself, but the room's magic is so powerful you don't think you can make any difference going against it.
You're confident you can find a way to dispel the illusions if you could get close.