PDA

View Full Version : Battleships [spoilers]

Parra
2012-08-14, 09:01 AM
So I watched this last night and quite enjoyed it.
Yea it was a cheesy concept with board game origins and the inevitable bogey science got some groan worthy chuckles, but overall a nice enjoyable action move.

Aliens were quite killable. A few Mcguffins aside (super radar jammer and super shield) these guys would have been pasted about 5 seconds after their first shot.
Aliens didnt shoot first, but responded with escalated versions of what was done to them. i.e. Cruiser sounds its horn, aliens sound their horn and shatter all the ships windows. There were even points where the aliens could have just killed all opposition but just didnt. They even go so far as to rescue a captured alien
Big ships with big guns shooting
Playing a Real Life game of Battleships with real ships
Silly montage to prep The Battleship

Dislikes:
Liam Neeson is little more than a background character, the scary dad of the protagonists GF. Which was a shame.
Aliens inconsistent behaviour. i.e. they fail to destroy obviously hostile targets, simply because they lowered their weapons.
Silly science is mostly excusable in this sort of movie, but its stretched beyond breaking point when a ship thats travelled intergalactic distances bumps into a satellite and gets trashed.

Overall I thought it a thoroughly enjoyably cheesy movie.

Anyone else seen it?

polity4life
2012-08-14, 10:21 AM
My big issue with the movie is that it all hinges upon a chicken burrito and an instance of menial larceny.

If this were a comedy or something that didn't want to be taken seriously then I'd write it off as tongue-in-cheek purposeful bad writing. Instead...eesh.

Parra
2012-08-14, 12:59 PM
I wouldnt say it all hinges on that as such. I just think of that as a funny how-they-met backstory. I reckon the older brother would have lost it with him sooner or later and shanghaied him into the navy anyway

Soras Teva Gee
2012-08-14, 10:08 PM
That's kinda the problem isn't it?

Its not gut achingly bad its just an average B/C list knock-off movie anchored to a silly but ultimately utterly generic concept.

Parra
2012-08-15, 02:38 AM
Oh its defiantly a B movie. Maybe one with a higher special effects budget, but a B movie all the same.

I dont think the concept is all that generic really. Sure the idea of an alien attack is nothing new, but this wasnt a full invasion by any streach. 5 smallish ships that can be easily blown up is not exactly an invasion.
I cant think of may movies that had such a small group of aliens 'attack'
Besides, I got the impression that if the Navy guys were not so trigger happy that they may have found the aliens came in peace

MLai
2012-08-15, 04:13 AM
What I find hilarious is that this movie is only made because of licensing obligations and ancient contracts. They made this move because they had to do something with Hasbro franchises. So they took the dumbest idea and ran with it, because they had no other choice.

And the hilarity is not over. The contractual obligations extend to other Hasbro games. I want to see what kind of a movie comes out of Chutes And Ladders. :smallamused:

Parra
2012-08-15, 04:34 AM
I want to see what kind of a movie comes out of Chutes And Ladders. :smallamused:

Something like the SAW movies maybe? or like The Cube?

Hopeless
2012-08-15, 06:01 AM
Something like the SAW movies maybe? or like The Cube?

I'd recommend watching an episode of Doctor who specifically the first doctor era where they had to participate in a number of elaborate and childish games turned into murderous traps trying to remember the name of the nemesis of that multi-episode run but he's been compared with Q except the Q continuum don't like him! (See Doctor Who/Star Trek Crossover thread)

bluewind95
2012-08-15, 12:04 PM
I quite liked the movie. It was nicely paced and had just the right amount of cheesy. And it was simply fun. I honestly didn't feel it took itself serioulsly at all.

The_Admiral
2012-08-16, 10:10 AM
It's the Toymaker

thompur
2012-08-16, 01:54 PM
What I find hilarious is that this movie is only made because of licensing obligations and ancient contracts. They made this move because they had to do something with Hasbro franchises. So they took the dumbest idea and ran with it, because they had no other choice.

And the hilarity is not over. The contractual obligations extend to other Hasbro games. I want to see what kind of a movie comes out of Chutes And Ladders. :smallamused:

How's this? (http://youtu.be/m6WCZ3cZ27U)

Hopeless
2012-08-16, 02:49 PM
It's the Toymaker

And I'd absolutely love to see how they'd deal with him!

Emmerask
2012-08-16, 02:58 PM
I quite liked the movie. It was nicely paced and had just the right amount of cheesy. And it was simply fun. I honestly didn't feel it took itself serioulsly at all.

Well at first I was pretty annoyed by the movie, a friend told me though that the director said that the film is meant as a mockery of the high budget hollywood action/scifi genre (transformers etc).

And then it really kind of works, I still donīt like it that much but at least I see why some of the scenes where done the way they are ^^