PDA

View Full Version : Warblade multiclass options

juicycaboose
2012-08-14, 11:39 AM
Hey guys

I'm currently playing a Warblade in a friend's campaign, and i've been thinking about multiclassing into something interesting but I'm kind of stuck on what would be good to take.

The character is a CL6 warforged with adamantine body/power attack/leap attack and has these ability scores.

Str: 16
Dex: 13
Con: 18
Int: 13
Wis: 11
Cha: 7

Thanks in advance for any of your suggestions~

(p.s i'm sure some of you might say "why multiclass" but i'm just looking for options)
(oh p.p.s i forgot to say i'm not really interested in multiclassing into other ToB classes)

Novawurmson
2012-08-14, 11:50 AM
High Con makes Totemist a potentially worthwhile investment.

INoKnowNames
2012-08-14, 12:06 PM
One should note that the Warblade Capstone is sexy enough that staying Warblade 20 is actually a decent option.

That said, I'm gonna leave this here. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=176968) It's got a multiclassing/prestige section you might be interested in.

Dusk Eclipse
2012-08-14, 12:17 PM
Fighter is pretty nice for the bonus feat, they help a lot on feat intensive builds such as a tripper, besides since you are relying on single attacks per round (until high levels at the least) Weapon Specialization is not bad and it opens way for things such as Weapon Mastery or even supremacy.

Pouncebarian is another favourite of mine, if only to free a maneuver slot, I also like to go for two levels to get Improved Expertise-free Improved trip. It also helps to grab a few ranged proficiencies.

mabriss lethe
2012-08-14, 12:25 PM
If you can squeeze in 8 levels of Factotum...well, that would just be wrong and broken.

ThiagoMartell
2012-08-14, 12:42 PM
If you can squeeze in 8 levels of Factotum...well, that would just be wrong and broken.

With Int 13...?

Aliek
2012-08-14, 01:11 PM
You can still snatch extra standard actions with cunning surge.

kitcik
2012-08-14, 01:25 PM
Exemplar - get +4 and take 10 on Concentration checks. If you are using Diamond Mind to make saves on Concentration checks, you are now golden.

Can also be used for Tiger Claw / Jump, etc.

ThiagoMartell
2012-08-14, 02:02 PM

And you can't get Font of Inspiration to do it reliably and you basically wasted 7 levels worth of getting +1 to a bunch of things. That's... terrible.

eggs
2012-08-14, 02:05 PM
I'd typically only multiclass from Warblade if trying to delay the level 4 stance, or aiming for a specific benefit like Pounce or Spell Reflection. It doesn't sound like either apply here, so I'd lean toward sticking it out.

But addressing the useful multiclass options:

Most of the standard melee dips (Fighter 1 or 2/Barbarian 1 or 2/Monk 1 or 2/Cleric 1/Feat Rogue 1 or 2/Incarnate 2/Pious Templar 1) are about as useful as ever. Swashbuckler 3 is popular, but the best I can say for it is that it doesn't completely suck.

A couple of those are a bit more useful than usual: Psychic Warrior 1 or 2 gives Psionic Focus, which works very nicely with Divine Diamond Mind counters; Warblades use Exotic weapon proficiency well, making Exotic Weapons Master a more interesting choice; Totemist 2 can grant access to a lot of natural weapons (especially on a Warforged), which works very nicely with the Tiger Claw discipline.

For more serious multiclassing, Assassin and Trapsmith have some very nice spell lists that don't require a lot of Intelligence (and the Eberron Psionic Assassin is also pretty neat); Warrior Skald needs a minor translation to make sense in 3.5, but any translation that continues to grant Inspire Courage (which I'd assume to be all of them) is going to facilitate Song of the White Raven-based IC optimization - some Warchanter could also be an option there.

An extra action per fight is nice, but for 8 levels of lackluster benefits and average BA? Calling it an "interesting" choice might be generous.

EDIT:
Oh, and more Tome of Battle classes are also always nice (extra maneuvers with partial scaling from out-of-class levels). Those classes only pretend to care about their associated mental stat, so don't worry about the low associated scores.

Keld Denar
2012-08-14, 02:23 PM
A level or 2 of Rogue opens up the Staggering Strike feat, a pretty potent melee disable.

Edit: alternatively, SA Fighter would keep your BAB full.

Dusk Eclipse
2012-08-14, 02:33 PM
In a build with high int, say 16 (perhaps even 14) or higher, which I doubt you have unless you are building a gish or have a very generous point buy Factotum 8 is indeed a great addition for a warblade.

Essence_of_War
2012-08-14, 03:56 PM
You have a massive CON.

That always points me in the general direction of Incarnate or Totemist. They'll give you lots of passive abilities that combine well with the Warblade's active abilities.

Tvtyrant
2012-08-14, 05:11 PM
A level of Bard and a number of feats together can get you a crazy amount of elemental damage on your melee attacks (Dragonfire Inspiration, Song of the White Raven at minimum, add in Words of Creation to become ridiculous). Best with TWF.

Rogue 1 + Craven nets you +20 damage a hit at level 20 if you can get SA, great with TWF.

juicycaboose
2012-08-14, 11:35 PM
One should note that the Warblade Capstone is sexy enough that staying Warblade 20 is actually a decent option.

That said, I'm gonna leave this here. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=176968) It's got a multiclassing/prestige section you might be interested in.

I actually already knew about the warblade capstone, it's the main reason i haven't dipped into fighter or barbarian by now

High Con makes Totemist a potentially worthwhile investment.

You have a massive CON.

That always points me in the general direction of Incarnate or Totemist. They'll give you lots of passive abilities that combine well with the Warblade's active abilities.

Totemist seems really very cool, the main problem is i've never even looked at meldshaper classes before now, still trying to wrap my head around them!

Thanks for all the replies guys, I probably should have said that I was really after a potential multiclass option that added really interesting abilities/passive abilities that might synergise well with warblade/my ability scores.

And also that my character is a THFer focusing on Iron Heart and Diamond Mind (with a little mountain hammer strike thrown in).

Anyway, at this point I'm leaning towards sticking to warblade for now, but if any of you happen to think of anything that would be cool don't keep it to yourself :p

edit: oh yeah, again thanks for the replies but any sort of rogue/sneak attack type dips I probably won't be taking, the character concept of this guy is a very much "There is honour only in battle" type character that would frown on such tactics

Kuulvheysoon
2012-08-14, 11:53 PM
I'd typically only multiclass from Warblade if trying to delay the level 4 stance, or aiming for a specific benefit like Pounce or Spell Reflection. It doesn't sound like either apply here, so I'd lean toward sticking it out.

Most of the standard melee dips (Fighter 1 or 2/Barbarian 1 or 2/Monk 1 or 2/Cleric 1/Feat Rogue 1 or 2/Incarnate 2/Pious Templar 1) are about as useful as ever. Swashbuckler 3 is popular, but the best I can say for it is that it doesn't completely suck.

A couple of those are a bit more useful than usual: Psychic Warrior 1 or 2 gives Psionic Focus, which works very nicely with Divine Mind counters; Warblades use Exotic weapon proficiency well, making Exotic Weapons Master a more interesting choice; Totemist 2 can grant access to a lot of natural weapons (especially on a Warforged), which works very nicely with the Tiger Claw discipline.

Damn. And here I was, all impressed, that you managed to do something useful with Divine Mind (CPsi). Then I realised that you meant Diamond Mind.

I tend to like Warblade 1/Fighter 2/Warblade X when I multiclass out of Warblade and begin the process of nabbing the Combat Focus feats (my favorite Warblade character was a Warblade 8/Fighter 2/Eternal Blade 10 with those feats and an emphasis on Diamond Mind/Devoted Spirit).

Knaight
2012-08-15, 12:04 AM
Dip Monk. Two levels of Monk gets you:
2d8 hp
+1 Initiator Level
+1 BAB
+3 to all saves
Two Bonus Feats
Improved Unarmed Strike
Flurry of Blows -2*
Evasion

That's not bad for two levels.

*The exact phrasing here is useful. "When unarmored, a monk may strike with a flurry of blows at the expense of accuracy. When doing so, she may make one extra attack in a round at her highest base attack bonus, but this attack takes a -2 penalty, as does each other attack made that round."In short, you get to use the superior Warblade BAB for this. Sadly, there is the monk weapon restriction, but there are ways around that. At level 20, this means you get 19/19/14/9/4, which is significantly better than pure monk.

eggs
2012-08-15, 12:07 AM
And here I was, all impressed, that you managed to do something useful with Divine Mind (CPsi). Then I realised that you meant Diamond Mind.
Ohp, I'm going to blame that on a one-track mind while tinkering with the handbook in another tab. :smallredface:
Less-Confusing-ed!