PDA

View Full Version : question about summon undead spell.

morkendi
2012-08-14, 04:29 PM
Playing a dark elf shaper who is 3rd lvl. I just took wizard as well with precocious apprentice as well for 4th level. I have practiced spell caster and manafester so i can do both at forth lvl. Looking at summon undead spell and i have 1 question. Some of the undead create other undead like the shadow and wight. Seems to me it would slay your enemy and create other undead, but as soon as duration ends, your original would disappear and now you are stuck wirh the ones he created with no one to control them. Wouldn't they now attack the party?

ShadowPsyker
2012-08-15, 09:30 PM
Yes.
Of course you could always command the remaining undead for later use. The important fact though, is that the undead that are created (CR 3) aren't really much of a threat to a party of your level (you can't get shadows and wights until you're a 9th level caster).

Doxkid
2012-08-15, 10:44 PM
Yes they would typically create spawn, although you can order any intelligent undead not to do so.

It takes a DC 15 intelligence check to prevent the spawn from being created if its creation would normally be automatic.

That said, of all the undead created by this spell chain only Shadows, Vampire Spawn and Wights create undead spawn through combat. When you have level 5 spells, none of their spawn will typically be a threat.