PDA

View Full Version : Am I missing something? - Divine Channeler feat

thorr-kan
2012-08-14, 04:54 PM
From Dragon #274, I think. It grants the user the ability to turn undead as a cleric of half your level 1/day. It can be taken additional times to add 1/day.

Why? Extra Turning's there for the taking; 4 add'l turn attempts/day. Only prequisite is the ability to turn undead.

Am I missing some errata somewhere?

Gavinfoxx
2012-08-14, 05:05 PM
This is how to get turning with no cleric levels, then?

Darrin
2012-08-14, 06:39 PM
This is how to get turning with no cleric levels, then?

Sort of. First, it's in Dragon #305, not #274. It also requires you to take the God-Touched feat first, so it's at least a two-feat combo to get TU 1/day.

There's a couple other ways to do this via feats, though: A Sorcerer/Bard/Duskblade can take Necromantic Bloodline + Kin Mastery (from Dragon Compendium) to get TU 1/day.

Or if you can get turn elemental/turnip/hippo onto your character along with 8 ranks of Knowledge (the Planes), you can then take the Planar Touchstone feat, link to the Catalogues of Enlightenment, and gain the Sun domain power to convert your turn elemental/turnip/hippo into a Greater Turn Undead, which should still count as vanilla TU.

Or you can spend one feat on Planar Touchstone and grab the Sun domain from the Dragonlance Campaign Setting: TU as a cleric.

Piggy Knowles
2012-08-14, 06:49 PM
Unless I'm mistaken, the OP's "Why?" was in reference to the fact that you can take the feat additional times to add one turn attempt, which seems silly when Extra Turning will add four.

Andorax
2012-08-14, 06:57 PM
Perhaps it predated extra turning?

I'd have to reread the article, but if there's any "X power based on how many god-touched feats you have" feats, that might be a second reason.

Ultimately, though...no, no good reason. Get the turn 1/day feat, then take Extra Turning to get 4x more with your 3rd+ feats spent.

Big Fau
2012-08-14, 07:02 PM
Unless I'm mistaken, the OP's "Why?" was in reference to the fact that you can take the feat additional times to add one turn attempt, which seems silly when Extra Turning will add four.

How many people at Paizo realized that Extra Turning existed when they printed the Divine Channeler feat?

eggs
2012-08-14, 07:04 PM
The Dragondex says the feat was written by Skip Williams. I imagine he'd have an inkling of the contents of the PHB.

I'd suspect this has something to do with Extra Turning's specific shoutout as a Cleric/Paladin feat option. But that's really strange.

VGLordR2
2012-08-14, 07:13 PM
Divine Channeler serves as a prerequisite for a few other feats. Off of the top of my head, I think one of them gave Clerics a bit of spontaneous casting, if I recall correctly.

Andorax
2012-08-14, 07:40 PM
The Dragondex says the feat was written by Skip Williams. I imagine he'd have an inkling of the contents of the PHB.

For what it's worth, Dragon 305 is a 3.0 source...and Extra Turning was not, as I recall, in the 3.0 PHB.

thorr-kan
2012-08-14, 10:54 PM
For what it's worth, Dragon 305 is a 3.0 source...and Extra Turning was not, as I recall, in the 3.0 PHB.

Extra Turning's in the 3.0 PH. But it specifically calls out only Clerics and Paladins. In fact, the feat is listed in the description of the cleric.

So, with the upgrade to 3.5, Extra Turning becomes a valid upgrade.

nedz
2012-08-15, 12:57 PM
Well it might be useful for, say, a Favoured Soul to enter a clerical PrC.
There are other routes, but Extra Turning isn't one of them because it requires you to already be able to Turn/Rebuke Undead.