PDA

View Full Version : Small Mount Woes

GrumblyBear
2012-08-14, 05:59 PM
Hello!

One of my players really wants to go the supermount route (Paladin 5 with Track/ Beastmaster 1 with Devoted Tracker/ Halfling Outrider/ etc). One of the issues he's experiencing is finding a flying mount that will fit him. He wants a medium mount that can fly, so he can bring it into dungeons with him and whatnot.

I was thinking that he could just use a template that provided wings for his mount, such as Half-Celestial. But that just seemed to open up a multitude of problems... Where does one encounter a half-celestial riding dog anyways?

I feel like there has to be a simpler solution... Maybe a medium flying monster that I'm overlooking? One that could be designated as a Paladin mount/Druid companion.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Slipperychicken
2012-08-14, 06:12 PM
You encounter them on the celestial plane, of course. People summon them all the time, and some extradimensional pet-seller undoubtedly brought some to the Material Plane.

Look up one of the smaller Dragons, see if it qualifies.

GrumblyBear
2012-08-14, 06:17 PM
People summon them all the time, and some extradimensional pet-seller undoubtedly brought some to the Material Plane.

If he were to buy one from a pet-seller, would he be able to designate it as his mount/animal companion? That simple?

Kuulvheysoon
2012-08-14, 06:40 PM
There's always the Winged template from Savage Species.

Slipperychicken
2012-08-14, 06:48 PM
I do not recall, check the description. There are all kinds of explanations for why one would be hanging out on the material plane, most involving travellers. Perhaps it was the companion of some planar adventurer who met a gruesome end. Perhaps some celestial creatures freed themselves and began living much like their material counterparts as wild animals (that could have interesting implications).

The presence of a celestial creature can bestow the half-celestial template on an unborn child. Perhaps an angel was hanging around near a pregnant dog.

Piggy Knowles
2012-08-14, 06:53 PM
If he was willing to spend a feat, he could get a dragon companion and find a medium flying dragon. Or he could take the Vermin Companion feat from ECS and ride a giant bee! Come on, halfling riding a giant bee! You know you want to.

There's also the dire hawk and desmodu hunting bat, IIRC.

EDIT: This link: http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20040705a provides an optional rule that would let you select a giant bee as an alternative animal companion starting immediately. Gah, I can't get the imagery of a halfling riding a giant bee out of my head. If you don't build this, I will.

EDIT #2: I understand that someone is inevitably going to point out that the giant bee was one of the worst monsters ever printed. Someone will mention that its sole attack is both underwhelming and immediately suicidal, or perhaps mention its subpar stats and other poor traits. I don't care. I'm just going to keep saying "GIANT BEEEEEEEEE" until this dream becomes a reality. But seriously, just ride a desmodu hunting bat or dire hawk; those things are pretty boss.

GrumblyBear
2012-08-14, 08:15 PM
Perhaps an angel was hanging around near a pregnant dog.

A thousand times yes...

If he was willing to spend a feat, he could get a dragon companion and find a medium flying dragon.

There's also the dire hawk and desmodu hunting bat, IIRC.

What feat would that be? Also, the dire hawk looks pretty much perfect.

Ooh, that could work.... Wander the mountains until you find a winged pony.

Piggy Knowles
2012-08-14, 08:59 PM
What feat would that be?

Dragon Cohort. Per the DMG, you can have your cohort become your special mount for a level adjustment.

Also, upon further reflection, the dire hawk is an animal companion, not a mount, meaning it won't technically work with Devoted Tracker. Neither will the giant bee. Bah!

KillianHawkeye
2012-08-14, 09:23 PM
The presence of a celestial creature can bestow the half-celestial template on an unborn child. Perhaps an angel was hanging around near a pregnant dog.

Since I have never heard this before, I have to ask: where the heck did you come up with this idea?? :smallconfused:

The standard method of creating a half-celestial (or a half-anything) is through mating.

crazyhedgewizrd
2012-08-14, 09:50 PM
There is a template in the Dungeonscape book called dungeonbred i think. All it does is make larger creatures smaller, so you can have a medium sized gryphon.

GrumblyBear
2012-08-14, 10:34 PM
There is a template in the Dungeonscape book called dungeonbred i think. All it does is make larger creatures smaller, so you can have a medium sized gryphon.

Awesome! I'll just have him work a level of Algarondan Griffonrider into his build and toss in the Dungeonbred template.... Then have him do some crazy RP quest to get it all squared away.

Thanks!

silverwolfer
2012-08-14, 11:08 PM
could always get an exoticly bred pegesus that is meant to be smaller?
Try a Senmurv
http://cdn-www.cracked.com/articleimages/dan/dnd/senmurv.jpg

or if you are really good at log barrel rolling
the roving mauler
http://cdn-www.cracked.com/articleimages/dan/dnd/mauler.jpg

Kuulvheysoon
2012-08-14, 11:14 PM
could always get an exoticly bred pegesus that is meant to be smaller?
Try a Senmurv
http://cdn-www.cracked.com/articleimages/dan/dnd/senmurv.jpg

Gods, I had almost blocked that technicolour nightmare from my mind... Dammit, silverwolfer!

Gavinfoxx
2012-08-15, 12:25 AM
Medium Flying Monster?

Dire Hawk??

Wow, I totally didn't read up there.

Get permission from your DM to use Dire Hawk...

Tvtyrant
2012-08-15, 12:29 AM

I thought you couldn't add templates to an animal companion? Wasn't that why Hi, Hello didn't work?

Slipperychicken
2012-08-15, 08:19 AM
Since I have never heard this before, I have to ask: where the heck did you come up with this idea?? :smallconfused:

The standard method of creating a half-celestial (or a half-anything) is through mating.

Some entry on Solar fluff. It said they're sometimes mistaken for deities (though never worshiped as such), and can create half-celestials with their mere presence. I'll just go book-diving for a source now..

Hand_of_Vecna
2012-08-15, 08:56 AM
I'm pretty sure either wyrmling or dungeonbred very young gold dragon is the default optimal choice.

Dungeounbred for anyone who doesn't know basically shrinks a creature by a size while lessening the penalties the standard negatives to losing size. It's generally considered a legitimate hing to put on a companion at will since it does make the creature weaker.

umbergod
2012-08-15, 09:06 AM
Some entry on Solar fluff. It said they're sometimes mistaken for deities (though never worshiped as such), and can create half-celestials with their mere presence. I'll just go book-diving for a source now..

Well in the BoVD, some of the vile fluff is that merely being in the presence of an evil deity avatar can cause acquiring fiendish/half fiendish template, while being near the death of a good deity or demigod/birth of an evil one can cause the corrupted template, so its not a stretch to imagine that the reverse is true, with high power celestials causing unborn babies to become celestial or half celestial.

Urpriest
2012-08-15, 02:14 PM
If you're being flexible, then there are lots of options. If you want to stick to legal Paladin mounts things are more limited, and the best option is Dragon Mount. Don't use Dragon Cohort: the bonus HD from a supermount build will make essentially anything an illegal choice for a cohort due to skyrocketing ECL.

GrumblyBear
2012-08-15, 02:53 PM
or if you are really good at log barrel rolling
the roving mauler

What the what? How would... But... Uhh... Hmm.

I'm pretty sure either wyrmling or dungeonbred very young gold dragon is the default optimal choice.

Dungeounbred for anyone who doesn't know basically shrinks a creature by a size while lessening the penalties the standard negatives to losing size. It's generally considered a legitimate hing to put on a companion at will since it does make the creature weaker.

That would require a feat, right? To get the very young gold dragon, I mean.

If you're being flexible, then there are lots of options. If you want to stick to legal Paladin mounts things are more limited, and the best option is Dragon Mount. Don't use Dragon Cohort: the bonus HD from a supermount build will make essentially anything an illegal choice for a cohort due to skyrocketing ECL.

Well doesn't Devoted Tracker kind of open up what's considered a "legal" paladin mount? I was under the impression it allowed pretty much anything that could be an animal companion to be a special mount.

Piggy Knowles
2012-08-15, 05:29 PM
Technically no - a strict reading of Devoted Tracker says you can designate your special mount as your companion, but does not say it works the other way around.

Kuulvheysoon
2012-08-15, 06:15 PM

Drakensteed ACF from Dragon Magic, perhaps?

Coidzor
2012-08-15, 06:18 PM
Drakensteed ACF from Dragon Magic, perhaps?

I think those are the same size as a horse and so are Large creatures and still too big for his purposes. Works very nicely in general though.

Siosilvar
2012-08-15, 06:29 PM
What the what? How would... But... Uhh... Hmm.

Funny, I think I've seen that reaction before.

I... um... buh... HOW DOES IT POOP!!!?!????!

GrumblyBear
2012-08-15, 08:55 PM
Technically no - a strict reading of Devoted Tracker says you can designate your special mount as your companion, but does not say it works the other way around.

Aaah, good call... Hmm.

I think those are the same size as a horse and so are Large creatures and still too big for his purposes. Works very nicely in general though.

Eek, poor maneuverability? I was hoping for at least average, haha

crazyhedgewizrd
2012-08-15, 09:08 PM
Aaah, good call... Hmm.

A paladin can have any mount the DM allows, as long as its reasonable.

Coidzor
2012-08-15, 10:59 PM

You can at least mitigate that somewhat by making it take a feat that upgrades its maneuverability, though the name escapes me. I think it only goes up to Good though.

Myrryr
2012-08-16, 06:51 AM
Imp. Flight in Savage Species I think upgrades it one category.