PDA

View Full Version : Help finding a good system: Fairy Tail.

DrewVolker
2012-08-14, 08:39 PM
Hello fellow playgrounders, I come to you again with a request for help.

Lately I have gotten into a anime called "Fairy Tail", and since I've been thinking of running a game based either directly in the setting, or at least based off it. The general premise of the series is rather simple: There are guilds of many kinds, with the show focusing on a wizard guild called Fairy Tail. Magic is as common, if not more so than any sort of technology (though, there are some good examples of technology within the setting, example: the magicmobile, a car like device that runs off the drivers "magic energy", and looks like a rather early car). When someone has a job that requires a wizards special skill set, they send the request to the mages guild, which in turn post it on their "request board". Wizards within said guild can take any job off the board, and get the reward (usually money, sometimes items) upon completion. Wizards and missions are ranked on a D-S class scale (D, C, B, A, S, with S being the top), much like Naruto with its ninjas.

Anyway, like most anime, wizards and magic are kinda "over the top" thematic wise, and I'd like to keep that within the game.

Systems I've looked into:
BESM (2nd edition, as 3rd edition didn't have rules for magic)
BESM d20 (Not sure if I love it or hate it)
Exalted (Have not really looked into this one yet, so I don't know much about it)
I've heard Mutants and Masterminds might work perfectly for this, but I don't know anything about it.
Pathfinder/D20 Fantasy

I've also considered homebrewing something to work for this, but I think that'd take a huge amount of time, and with my skill, might not produce good results. I've considered just using pathfinder and working out a system to get everyone in the group some form of magic, but not sure.

So, fellow playgrounders, could anyone recommend a system that'd work good for this? Or maybe point me to an already done homebrew?

I appreciate your time, thanks in advance.

Hopeless
2012-08-16, 06:12 AM
Have you looked at Savage Worlds?

BESM might work but how do you keep up with all of the advances?!

Mutants and masterminds was another idea but still the characters from Fairy Tail tend to improve over time and thats not quite as possible with M&M which comes across as having limited imporvement before it goes Exalted on you!:smallbiggrin:

Gurps might work but sounds like you'd want something a mite more lite rules, have you thought about the Fate system?

Been wondering about the Dresden rpg myself but don't know if thats your cup of tea, Cortex maybe but you'd probably want something a mite clear and simple on what they can do.

How about Silver Age Sentinels?

The original system is more BESM related and you can work out the powers alot easier but thats also dependent on what you like most.

Hope that helps and let us know what you finally decide upon as you aren't the only person who watches Fairy Tail!:smallwink:

Dusk Eclipse
2012-08-16, 09:00 AM
Anima Beyond Fantasy Ki subsystem would work pretty well for most characters, ; but there are some characters that might be difficult to translate faithfully (from the top of my head, Erza would be the biggest PITA, though a friend told me he had manage to do it).

For Celestial mages the summoner (or perhaps the Warrior Summoner) would be perfect, though you would have to create the Spirits from scratch (A:BF does have creature creation rules; but I haven't payed attention to them so I don't know how useful they are.

Analytica
2012-08-16, 09:06 AM
So...

- Everyone who matters do wuxia stunts and can survive lots of damage, because no-one is ever seriously wounded or even bleeding. This says d20 and hit points.
- Most wizards only do a small number of weird gimmicky things, though it is implied that anyone can learn to do all kinds of spells. Not sure if you're born with magic or not.
- Most everyone are human, though there are Exceed and some other weird sentient creatures. However, wizards can mutate into really odd things ("look at my beautiful body, where everything is at perfect straight angles").

I would say use D&D, with warlocks, dragonfire adepts and homebrew invocation users as the wizards. Magic items for their magitech. Scrolls made by warlocks for scholarly magic, at-will invocations for the stuff the guild members do. Make custom invocations for specific characters. Possily Binder works as well, it would match somewhat what Lucy and some of the others do, as well as Incarnum or ToB things. Yes. I would recommend D&D with all the weird non-Vancian, non-psionic at-will magic subsystems.

RandomNPC
2012-08-16, 10:02 AM
RISUS might work. It's the "Anything RPG"

It's free to print off the interwebs, 6 one sided pages. all pages have pictures or charts, and 3 of them are examples of the rules. It's oddly entertaining.

RISUS (http://www222.pair.com/sjohn/risus.htm)

Dimestoretiamat
2012-08-16, 10:26 AM
Anima Beyond Fantasy Ki subsystem would work pretty well for most characters, ; but there are some characters that might be difficult to translate faithfully (from the top of my head, Erza would be the biggest PITA, though a friend told me he had manage to do it).

For Celestial mages the summoner (or perhaps the Warrior Summoner) would be perfect, though you would have to create the Spirits from scratch (A:BF does have creature creation rules; but I haven't payed attention to them so I don't know how useful they are.

This. The system, while daunting, has allowed people to make any sort of character they wanted. I made a character based on an espada from Bleach and currently using him to great effect.

Some characters may need some approximation done. I think for Ezra, making her a warrior summoner that uses incarnations from the new arcana book might work pretty well.

Dusk Eclipse
2012-08-16, 11:43 AM
If I may ask which Espada did you play; because at one point we had Kakashi (Naruto) Grimjaw (Bleach) and Ace D. Portgas (one piece) in the same party. It was hilarious.

As for Erza I am beggining to think that a technician with tons of weapon tables an wholy focusing on the Create Ki weapon technique (and perhaps using the Libra Ars Magnum) might be the best option. Though I can't remember if you can also create armour with that technique.

DrewVolker
2012-08-19, 12:10 AM
Thanks to everyone who replied to this thread.
I am going to try looking into Anima: Beyond Fantasy, it has peaked my interest before, so who knows, could be the one I am looking for.
A bit daunting though, I will admit. As I have no knowledge of the system what so ever, and to just get the core rulebook, and the one involving "ki" which was recommended will run 100+, as I can't see to find anyone selling them cheap online.

I will let you all know more as I make progress, if Anima: Beyond Fantasy is really a system that lets you build the character you want to play, has magic, and lets players be a bit over the top, then I think it could be the perfect system for this setting.

Edit: By Ki system I am assuming you mean the book "Dominus Exxet: The Dominion of Ki", correct?

UserClone
2012-08-19, 04:09 PM
Hm...Eldritch Ass Kicking?

Dusk Eclipse
2012-08-19, 04:28 PM
Thanks to everyone who replied to this thread.
I am going to try looking into Anima: Beyond Fantasy, it has peaked my interest before, so who knows, could be the one I am looking for.
A bit daunting though, I will admit. As I have no knowledge of the system what so ever, and to just get the core rulebook, and the one involving "ki" which was recommended will run 100+, as I can't see to find anyone selling them cheap online.

I will let you all know more as I make progress, if Anima: Beyond Fantasy is really a system that lets you build the character you want to play, has magic, and lets players be a bit over the top, then I think it could be the perfect system for this setting.

Edit: By Ki system I am assuming you mean the book "Dominus Exxet: The Dominion of Ki", correct?

Dominus Exxet is indeed a sourcebook solely focused on the Ki Dominion subsytem, it introduces a lot of Ki ability and expands on the type of effects you can use to create techniques (the main part of the subsystem); but there is enough to start on the Core exxet.

It is a great system; but it has a steep learning curve.

ThiagoMartell
2012-08-19, 04:32 PM
Just use Mutants & Masterminds. Covers all the characters and it's very easy.

Silma
2012-08-19, 05:54 PM
D&D 4e is a good choice. The way powers work in 4e is very similar to the various techniques used by anime characters.
For example Natsu could easily be a <Sorcerer-Dragon Magic-Dragon Soul: Fire>

DrewVolker
2012-08-19, 08:13 PM
Dominus Exxet is indeed a sourcebook solely focused on the Ki Dominion subsytem, it introduces a lot of Ki ability and expands on the type of effects you can use to create techniques (the main part of the subsystem); but there is enough to start on the Core exxet.

It is a great system; but it has a steep learning curve.

Ah, thank you very much for clearing that up!
Would you say Dominus Exxet is worth picking up? Would it help with a fairy tail type game?

Dusk Eclipse
2012-08-19, 08:38 PM
I might be a little biased because I love the Ki system, it is just so damn versatile, so yes I would reccomend to pick it up. As an aside save for the celestial spirits almost all characters should be Technician as they get the biggest amount of MK points and have reduced cost to buy ki points.

Just in case, you do need to get the core exxet as the domminion exxet only expands the system.

DrewVolker
2012-08-19, 08:54 PM
I might be a little biased because I love the Ki system, it is just so damn versatile, so yes I would reccomend to pick it up. As an aside save for the celestial spirits almost all characters should be Technician as they get the biggest amount of MK points and have reduced cost to buy ki points.

Just in case, you do need to get the core exxet as the domminion exxet only expands the system.

Alright, thank you very much.
I think I'll pick up the core rulebook and the Ki one. Might even pick up the other supplements. Would you recommend any of the other products?
Basically here is the full list:
Anima: Beyond Fantasy RPG (Picking this up because well I will need it)
Anima: Beyond Fantasy Game Master's Toolkit (Could be helpful, I've liked game masters kits/screens before in the past, they always seem useful)
Anima - Gaïa Volume 1: Beyond the Dreams (Since this focuses on the world of the base game, I don't think it'd be of much use for me since I'll be using a different setting, but I don't know anything about it)
Anima RPG - Dominus Exxet: The Dominion of Ki (As previously said by you, you'd recommend this, so I think I'll be picking it up aswell)
Anima RPG - Those Who Walked Amongst Us (It says on the website this adds "additional rules and information on creature creation, three new playable races, mass combat, dramatic combat, the secret histories of Gaïa’s creatures, and more." so not sure if it'd be useful to me or not. I guess the creature creation, mass and dramatic combat could be useful. What do you think?)
Anima RPG - Arcana Exxet: Secrets of the Supernatural (This seems to be the source book for the magic system, so it could be very useful, but I don't know anything about this system so I am not sure. Have you read it?)

Sorry for kinda asking you so many questions, I don't know anyone personally that has ever played Anima, so I would like to hear what someone who is experienced with it thinks and recommends.

Dusk Eclipse
2012-08-19, 09:21 PM
Ok the core rulebook is obviously whatbyou need to get first; but unless you are buying the PDF from edge, make sure you get the core exxet which is the revised version (think 3.5 vs. 3.0)

The GM toolkit is quite useful, Anima uses a lot of tables and having them handy on the screen is incredibly useful (plus the art is awesome) and the booklet has some good material for both PC (some extra advatages and style tables) whilr also having a lot of pre statted NPC's.

Beyond dreams is a pretty nice bookmif you are interested in the setting, which normally would be the case as the mechanics and fluff of the game are deeply tied; but it isn't necessary, I've played in the normal setting, the Naruto World and even a zombie apocalypse game set in modern day México.

Those who walked among us is definetely a GM book, personally I haven't read it thoroughly as I don't game master th game; but my DM has make good use of the Mass combat rules and dramatic combat in the past. Sadly I can't tell you much about the creature creation rules; but manyn of the monster fit quite well into fairy tail's world.

The Arcana exxet is quite similar to the Dominuss exxet, the main difference being that it deals with the three magic systems (Magic, Summoning and mental powers, think psionics of D&D) so in my opinion it doesn't delve as deep into the system. It is a good book though; but those magic system aren't as suited as Fairy tail magic, because they are pre-built, all powers and spells are already defined so while you might find some analogues (fireball spell is pretty much the Fire dragons roar) most spell work quite differently.

Hope that helps, we used to have an ongoing Anima thread on the boards; but it kinds died. Still I am sure you can get some useful information if you dig a little into it.

DrewVolker
2012-08-19, 09:42 PM
Ok the core rulebook is obviously whatbyou need to get first; but unless you are buying the PDF from edge, make sure you get the core exxet which is the revised version (think 3.5 vs. 3.0)

Thanks yet again for all the information!
Um, how do I tell the non-revised from the revised edition? Is there a difference on the cover? Something that would allow me to know which one it is when a website just lists the book, doesn't say if it is the revised edition or not and has a picture of the book they are selling.

Dusk Eclipse
2012-08-19, 09:59 PM
The revised version is called Core Exxet, I think it says it on the lower part of the cover; the none revised edition only says Roleplaying game (I own the physical book of the non-revised version).

From a quick search on the webpage it seems that there is no english version of the core exxet.

DrewVolker
2012-08-19, 10:08 PM
The revised version is called Core Exxet, I think it says it on the lower part of the cover; the none revised edition only says Roleplaying game (I own the physical book of the non-revised version).

From a quick search on the webpage it seems that there is no english version of the core exxet.

I guess I'm going to have to go ahead and buy the non-revised edition. I don't see the Core Exxet listed anywhere on the upcoming books, and from what I've gathered since asking, they have no announced it for in english. :S

Worst case I end up having to pick up the Core Exxet when it comes out, which since it looks like it will be a long time from now, shouldn't be too bad. Plus it could always been handy to have the other book around after that happens anyway.

Thanks for everything, again! You've been a HUGE help.

Dusk Eclipse
2012-08-19, 10:25 PM
No problem :smallsmile: happy gaming and hope you and your players enjoy the system as much as I do. (though do keep a calculator handy if you or your players aren't good at mental math with big-ish numbers, having a +200 to attack at level 7-8 isn't particularly difficult or rare IME) :smalltongue: