PDA

View Full Version : Help finding a good system: Fairy Tail.

DrewVolker
2012-08-14, 08:44 PM
Hello fellow playgrounders, I come to you again with a request for help.

Lately I have gotten into a anime called "Fairy Tail", and since I've been thinking of running a game based either directly in the setting, or at least based off it. The general premise of the series is rather simple: There are guilds of many kinds, with the show focusing on a wizard guild called Fairy Tail. Magic is as common, if not more so than any sort of technology (though, there are some good examples of technology within the setting, example: the magicmobile, a car like device that runs off the drivers "magic energy", and looks like a rather early car). When someone has a job that requires a wizards special skill set, they send the request to the mages guild, which in turn post it on their "request board". Wizards within said guild can take any job off the board, and get the reward (usually money, sometimes items) upon completion. Wizards and missions are ranked on a D-S class scale (D, C, B, A, S, with S being the top), much like Naruto with its ninjas.

Anyway, like most anime, wizards and magic are kinda "over the top" thematic wise, and I'd like to keep that within the game.

Systems I've looked into:
BESM (2nd edition, as 3rd edition didn't have rules for magic)
BESM d20 (Not sure if I love it or hate it)
Exalted (Have not really looked into this one yet, so I don't know much about it)
I've heard Mutants and Masterminds might work perfectly for this, but I don't know anything about it.
Pathfinder/D20 Fantasy

I've also considered homebrewing something to work for this, but I think that'd take a huge amount of time, and with my skill, might not produce good results. I've considered just using pathfinder and working out a system to get everyone in the group some form of magic, but not sure.

So, fellow playgrounders, could anyone recommend a system that'd work good for this? Or maybe point me to an already done homebrew?

I appreciate your time, thanks in advance.