PDA

View Full Version : New Help with Lvl 15 Totemist Build

naruto12185
2012-08-14, 10:45 PM
Hey guys, I'm new to the forum and D&D so I really need some help.... I have only played as a ranger, a duskblade (for an online session) and a psionic warrior (for a one time session).
So, for a future D&D session coming up, I would like to try out a Totemist, but I am a little confused on how they work, but I'm reading up on them... So far, all I know is I am planning on a Azurin Totemist Level 15, and I am not worrying about items yet, all I need is help with feats and the soulmelds I should choose (as well as the essentia I should use and the one I should totem bind). I know this is a lot to ask for, but could you guys help?

Also, I'm looking to deal as much damage as I can, so ideas to make this happen? Brief descriptions why would be nice! Thanks.

VGLordR2
2012-08-14, 10:48 PM
There are two Totemist (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19870034/The_Totemist_Handbook) Handbooks (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=583.0). Read through them, they give great advice.

silverwolfer
2012-08-14, 10:50 PM
When your done reading it , to mesh familer with new, try a wild shaping ranger/totemist/natures warrior

Tvtyrant
2012-08-14, 10:55 PM
For a straight Totemist I have found Double Chakra for the Totem Chakra is really good so you can double up on your best powers, and some version of Inhuman Reach to get your natural attacks reach.

naruto12185
2012-08-14, 11:07 PM
Hey, thanks guys, I'm currently reading through them, but I had another question. Does the BAB and damage suffer in higher levels if you go just with Totemist? and If I multiclassed like many are suggesting, what does that do for me exactly as a Totemist? (I know what multiclassing is, but I am still new to the effects besides having multiple classes) Sorry... still new to this....

Also, looking at the soulmelds, maybe I am misunderstanding, but can't you only totem bind one soulmeld? If so, how am I able to get many attacks like I have read in forums and guides? I'm just confused, but I'm still reading up on it, lol.

Kuulvheysoon
2012-08-14, 11:17 PM
Hey, thanks guys, I'm currently reading through them, but I had another question. Does the BAB and damage suffer in higher levels if you go just with Totemist? and If I multiclassed like many are suggesting, what does that do for me exactly as a Totemist? (I know what multiclassing is, but I am still new to the effects besides having multiple classes) Sorry... still new to this....

Also, looking at the soulmelds, maybe I am misunderstanding, but can't you only totem bind one soulmeld? If so, how am I able to get many attacks like I have read in forums and guides? I'm just confused, but I'm still reading up on it, lol.

The feat Double Chakra lets you bind a second soulmeld to a chosen chakra. You can also stack natural attacks through two other (major) fashions: Some soulmelds grant attacks without binding to the Totem chakra A creature's 'natural' natural attacks (such as a Lizardfolk's bite/claw/claw routine)

Tvtyrant
2012-08-14, 11:22 PM
There are some feats that grant natural attacks as well (one in Lords of Madness can get you tentacles, Eberron can get you a bite and slams if you are a Warforged, etc).

eggs
2012-08-15, 01:10 AM
But to be honest, there's no demand to multiclass. It will probably only make the character worse.

Straight Totemist is very close to the best Totemist. With only a couple rather complicated exceptions, it gets the best binds fastest, plus accumulates essentia the fastest all while gaining useful abilities for its schtick, and doing so on a decent framework.

Don't worry too much about medium base attack; the Totemist is typically a natural weapon user, which means lots of attacks at their full attack bonus and full attack bonus -2 (for instance, a level 15 Totemist with a shortspear, Girallon arms, Lamia Belt, a natural bite and the multiattack feat gets spear attacks at a base bonus of +11/+6/+1, claw attacks at +9/+9/+9/+9/+9 and a bite at +9; compared to a fighter with base attacks at +15/+10/+5: the Totemist is probably going to make contact much more often).

Totemists tend to have a lot of locked feat choices. One of those is Double Chakra, which gives two Totem Binds. (The other two that almost every Totemist ends up with are Multiattack and Bonus Essentia.)

The other ways of generating natural attacks aren't necessarily a part of the class itself; they often involve racial features (from RotD Kobolds (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20060420a), Poison Dusk Lizardfolk, Warforged, Darfellans, Skarn, Shifters, Kenku, etc.), feats (Extra slam, Deepspawn, various deformities, Jaws of Death, etc.) or quick dips out of the class (eg. Cleric for a bite attack, Master of Masks for claws, Warshaper for whatever strikes its fancy).

Wings of Peace
2012-08-15, 05:59 AM
If you want to multiclass but use natural weapons Lion Totem Barbarian with Totem Rager should do you.

naruto12185
2012-08-15, 09:31 PM
Ok, thanks so much guys, I almost have my Totemist done. I have a couple more questions to finish things up.

Can the Girallon Arms (totem bound) be used with the manticore belt for multiple attacks. I'm wondering cause the the manticore belt says it is a standard action, but the girallon arms says you gain four claw attacks.

Also, my last question is a two parter:
Do you think any of the below soulmelds should be exchanged, and if so what for?
Wormtail Belt
Ankheg Breastplate
Lamia Belt
Totem Avatar (shoulders)
Sphinx Claws
Girallon Arms
Manticore Belt

My Totemist is going to be a Skarn (so if has the spines for a natural attack, if that effects your judgement any)

The second question is, what feats besides multiattack should I take to improve all my natural weapons?

Kuulvheysoon
2012-08-15, 10:19 PM
Ok, thanks so much guys, I almost have my Totemist done. I have a couple more questions to finish things up.

Can the Girallon Arms (totem bound) be used with the manticore belt for multiple attacks. I'm wondering cause the the manticore belt says it is a standard action, but the girallon arms says you gain four claw attacks.

Also, my last question is a two parter:
Do you think any of the below soulmelds should be exchanged, and if so what for?
Wormtail Belt
Ankheg Breastplate
Lamia Belt
Totem Avatar (shoulders)
Sphinx Claws
Girallon Arms
Manticore Belt

My Totemist is going to be a Skarn (so if has the spines for a natural attack, if that effects your judgement any)

The second question is, what feats besides multiattack should I take to improve all my natural weapons?

Which of these are you planning on binding? If nothing else, you almost have to bind the Sphinx Claws to get Pounce (natural weapons only).

naruto12185
2012-08-15, 10:47 PM
Which of these are you planning on binding? If nothing else, you almost have to bind the Sphinx Claws to get Pounce (natural weapons only).

Wormtail Belt
Ankheg Breastplate
Totem Avatar (shoulders) (Chakra Bind)
Sphinx Claws (Chakra Bind)
Girallon Arms (Totem & Chakra Bind)
Manticore Belt (Totem Bind or Chakra Bind?)
Lamia Belt (Totem Bind or Chakra Bind?) (depending on whether the manticore belt can be used with the girallon arms in a full round action, one will be totem and the other chakra)
In all it should be 4 Chakra binds and 2 Totem binds.

How does this look? Any ideas for better combos or any improvements?