PDA

View Full Version : Finding a Synonym for Caster Level

Vadskye
2012-08-15, 01:22 AM
Right now, the term "caster level" means two different things: the level at which you cast spells (for determining damage, overcoming SR, etc.), and the level that you are considered to be when you look at the charts to determine your spells per day and (if applicable) spells known. The use of the same term for two different things leads to ambiguity, such as with the Ultimate Magus / Practiced Spellcaster combo that allows you to always progress spellcasting in the same class, which is clearly not what was intended.

What I want to do is create two terms: one for the first meaning, and one for the second. But I can't think of a good alternate term. Right now, I'm inclined to use "caster level" for the level at which you cast spells, and "spell knowledge level" or "arcane/divine knowledge level" for the second definition, but that still doesn't feel quite right. Thus, I turn to the collective wisdom of this board: can you think of a good term for both concepts so the distinction is less ambiguous?

nonsi
2012-08-15, 02:19 AM
CL: spells known & spells / day (or spell points)
EC^L: Effective Caster Level - the potency of your spells.

Vadskye
2012-08-15, 02:41 AM
That's essentially RAW - the trouble is, there are way too many places where "caster level" is used as a shorthand for "effective caster level". For example, every spell description references caster level, not effective caster level. I'm rewriting the PHB, so I could go through and replace every instance of "caster level" with "effective caster level". But that strikes me as being needlessly verbose, and it still doesn't establish a clear distinction in a new player's mind about the difference between the two concepts.

elpollo
2012-08-15, 10:16 AM
What about Class Level for determining spells, and Caster Level for determining effects? I thought that's basically what was used anyway.

Vadskye
2012-08-15, 10:18 AM
What about Class Level for determining spells, and Caster Level for determining effects? I thought that's basically what was used anyway.

The issue there is with prestige classes: they raise your "class level" for the purpose of your spells per day (and spells known), but not your "class level" for the purpose of class features, like familiars. Then you've got the same problem, just with a different term.