PDA

View Full Version : Swan Boat Feather Token

Squirrel_Dude
2012-08-15, 01:55 AM
Does anyone actually use it as a boat? I don't think I've ever looked at that item as anything other than a good form of crowd control. Got a bunch of enemies, just have your raven familiar carpet-bomb some boats.

only1doug
2012-08-15, 02:13 AM
Why would you need a single use boat in D&D?
if you are high enough level to afford the cost of a disposable item "just in case" you probably have access to flight or other methods of bypassing the water.

If you are doing a lot of water based adventuring you have a permanent boat,
If you are lower level you can't afford to use up a disposable, you sell it instead.

I guess you might have them if you were going on a ship, as a safety net but in that case you wouldn't want to use them, you'd want to keep them for emergencies.

Mithril Leaf
2012-08-15, 03:36 AM
I think it might be handy for a very early artificer? Other than that, probably best for dropping boats on people.

Kerilstrasz
2012-08-15, 04:32 AM
Sea based campaign.. a Captain of a ship (mostly non-water based creatures)
is wise enough to have 1 in his pocket and supply 1 to each crew member in case smthing goes bad...

or any adventurer ... that has to travel by sea.. consider it as a pocket life-jacket :)

Imagine a dwarf fighter or pala... in that Fullplate.. failing his balance on a ship and drop to sea... and then that gnome helmsman reach his pocket for a... boat(!?!?!?!?) to save him... TADA!!!

it also could be used as an escape method.. like:
"OMG!.. the orcs are on us... we cant escape... its even the orcs or the sea bottom!"
"Were did i put that... aha! C'mon lads ! Off we go!"

Darrin
2012-08-15, 06:04 AM
Why would you need a single use boat in D&D?

For those precious moments when you're hovering above an opponent who just isn't currently flat enough.

(Hint: there is no Ref save for falling object damage in the Core rules.)

Or:

Divide a battlefield in half.

Block a corridor/doorway.

Collapse a narrow bridge.

Sleep inside + alarm spell, wake up if anyone else touches the boat.

Find the rube that bought all those horses from your wand of mount, sell him a boat.

Demonstrate one of the unfortunate consequences of using Swallow Whole (Ex).

only1doug
2012-08-15, 06:15 AM
For those precious moments when you're hovering above an opponent who just isn't currently flat enough.

(Hint: there is no Ref save for falling object damage in the Core rules.)

Or:

Divide a battlefield in half.

Block a corridor/doorway.

Collapse a narrow bridge.

Sleep inside + alarm spell, wake up if anyone else touches the boat.

Find the rube that bought all those horses from your wand of mount, sell him a boat.

Demonstrate one of the unfortunate consequences of using Swallow Whole (Ex).

aka the answer to the OP is no...

sometimes it helps to read the post that is being answered instead of quoting out of context. (hint I meant why would you need to have a single use boat that you plan to use as a boat)