PDA

View Full Version : Anti Scrying methods

DoughGuy
2012-08-15, 05:51 AM
Hello playground!

I want to compile a list of all the anti scrying spells (arcane and divine, not psionic) just for future use after I lost a character to it. So far I know detect scrying (not anti but helps) and I know of a 5th level spell that shows certain immovable area how you wish it to be but thats I have.

Thanks for the help :smallbiggrin:

Wings of Peace
2012-08-15, 05:54 AM
I realize this isn't a spell but the Vecna Blooded template is going to be your best solution. It grants immunity to divinations and I believe (afb) attempts to discern information about you. Best of all you keep that particular perk even if you lose the template.

sonofzeal
2012-08-15, 06:14 AM
Asside from Vecna-Blooded (which may be problematic), Mind Blank is usually the go-to for anti-divination. Third Eye Conceal is there for those who can't get the actual spell.

DoughGuy
2012-08-15, 06:58 AM
I realize this isn't a spell but the Vecna Blooded template is going to be your best solution. It grants immunity to divinations and I believe (afb) attempts to discern information about you. Best of all you keep that particular perk even if you lose the template.
Haha that isnt what I asked for, but its still good to know of. I might need it in future. Thanks anyway.
@Zeal Anything lower level than mindblank? And I've heard of the eye before but never seen it in a book. Which one is it in?

sonofzeal
2012-08-15, 07:05 AM
Haha that isnt what I asked for, but its still good to know of. I might need it in future. Thanks anyway.
@Zeal Anything lower level than mindblank? And I've heard of the eye before but never seen it in a book. Which one is it in?
MIC is my go-to. It might be somewhere else, but that's the big one.

Vorr
2012-08-15, 10:19 AM
Spells:Detect scrying, False vision, Nondetection, Obscure object, Scry trap

All scrying does is let someone see and hear. And that is easy enough to block.

1.Disguises. While a disguise won't fool the scrying, it can hide others identities. For example, if a group of hooded men meet at a table, you could not tell who each one was. Even more so you can make a fighter look like a mage or such.

2.Darkness and Light. Darkness is a great way to hide what your doing. But plenty of races, spells and effects can see in the dark. So the opposite works even better. Fill the area with bight light that will block out all sight.

3.Loud sounds. A spy and mob classic. You simply have a conversation in a noisy place. Natural things like a waterfall can work great, but even something like a drum would work.

4.Mass Confusion. This is simple enough. Invite ten people to dinner and tell them each something, either the same or different. A crowd can be your friend. It would be hard to tell who is talking to who and about what.

5.Code. Another classic. Just say everything in code. People can listen all they want, but ''Tell the tall man that we will order the cupcake at noon for the party'' won't tell them much. Hand signals and such work too. You can also speak in rare languages. And the best is to send messages in telepathy.

6.The Gambit. The ultimate classic and fun. Let them see and hear all, and plan for that. Once you know that they think your doing plan A, and they go with counter plan A, then you can do plan B or C and counter counter plan A. (Burn Notice on USA is a great example, but there are tons of other examples too)

The Gilded Duke
2012-08-15, 05:25 PM
Don't forget about using conventional skills. Spot (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/skills.htm#spot) can be used to detect the invisible scry sensors. DC 30 isn't too hard to hit, and DC 40 isn't impossible. Scry sensors also have a speed of 150 feet. You can beat that by entering free fall, using lightning trains, or even Dimension Door.

herrhauptmann
2012-08-15, 06:08 PM
5.Code. Another classic. Just say everything in code. People can listen all they want, but ''Tell the tall man that we will order the cupcake at noon for the party'' won't tell them much. Hand signals and such work too. You can also speak in rare languages. And the best is to send messages in telepathy.

I'd advise against rare languages. As soon as the wizard realizes he doesn't know the language, he's one quick spell away from knowing everything anyway. (Comprehend languages in phb/srd is first level, and only works on written texts. I know there's a better version for spoken languages somewhere)

Codes are probably the best. "I went to the baker" can be a code itself. But what about if the code is actually in your hand signals? Right hand open, palm up means you robbed the baker. Palm down means extorted money from him. Hand closed means you killed him. Hand closed, with thumb inside fist means it was done brutally/messily.

Occult slayer 5 (C.War) grants you a mindblank effect. While OS 4 is a protection against scrying. I believe you can have both by level 12. WHich will also net you Aura Vision, essentially the first round of a detect magic spell at all times. Means that if an invisible scrying sensor enters your field of vision, you should notice its presence, if not what it actually is.

I'll bet you a dollar Person man already has a list of these.

jackattack
2012-08-15, 07:49 PM
Lemon yellow, bright purple, and lime green paisley robes and a homunculus that sings "The Song That Never Ends".

Gets rid of scriers, salesmen, party members, and potential dates. Doesn't seem to affect gnomes, though...

Calimehter
2012-08-15, 08:08 PM
Mordenkainen's Private Sanctum is a stationary effect, so won't be applicable for all situations, but it covers a lot of area and has a great duration for those that it does.

Baka Nikujaga
2012-08-15, 08:12 PM
Enigma Helm? It's only a Caster Level check, though.

Ernir
2012-08-16, 12:22 AM
Deathglance Locket (I believe that's what it's called) from the Dragon Compendium is fun.

supermonkeyjoe
2012-08-16, 06:24 AM
The scrying sensor can only move at 150' per round so if you can comfortably exceed this you should be ok :smallbiggrin:

Myrryr
2012-08-16, 06:24 AM
In terms of hiding a phylactery, would a 10ftx10ftx10ft lead box with a permanent Mage's Private Sanctum cast on it and then hidden underground in the negative energy plane keep it from being scried? Other than Discern Location, which requires the caster to have actually touched my phylactery, is there any thing that can see into that, assuming that I am not there?

Psyren
2012-08-16, 08:17 AM
In terms of hiding a phylactery, would a 10ftx10ftx10ft lead box with a permanent Mage's Private Sanctum cast on it and then hidden underground in the negative energy plane keep it from being scried? Other than Discern Location, which requires the caster to have actually touched my phylactery, is there any thing that can see into that, assuming that I am not there?

Legend Lore and Vision can eventually uncover anything you do. All liches are by RAW above the threshold of notoriety at which such spells operate.

DoughGuy
2012-08-16, 06:33 PM
Spells:Detect scrying, False vision, Nondetection, Obscure object, Scry trap

All scrying does is let someone see and hear. And that is easy enough to block.

1.Disguises. While a disguise won't fool the scrying, it can hide others identities. For example, if a group of hooded men meet at a table, you could not tell who each one was. Even more so you can make a fighter look like a mage or such.

2.Darkness and Light. Darkness is a great way to hide what your doing. But plenty of races, spells and effects can see in the dark. So the opposite works even better. Fill the area with bight light that will block out all sight.

3.Loud sounds. A spy and mob classic. You simply have a conversation in a noisy place. Natural things like a waterfall can work great, but even something like a drum would work.

4.Mass Confusion. This is simple enough. Invite ten people to dinner and tell them each something, either the same or different. A crowd can be your friend. It would be hard to tell who is talking to who and about what.

6.The Gambit. The ultimate classic and fun. Let them see and hear all, and plan for that. Once you know that they think your doing plan A, and they go with counter plan A, then you can do plan B or C and counter counter plan A. (Burn Notice on USA is a great example, but there are tons of other examples too)

Thanks for the ideas! Apart from the languags (as shown below) they should all help.
I also like outrunning the sensor lol.