PDA

View Full Version : WotW: Call forth Darkness OOC

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6

Maugan Ra
2012-08-31, 11:33 AM
Well, unfortunately, Quint seems under the impression that the Storm Elemental was bound here as a guardian. It wasn't. It actually formed here naturally...

Then again, I might change that, considering Commissar is going to be gone for some time and it is a rather important thing that's going on up there. Hmm. Will consider it.

Anyway, the rest of you... Hexor and Vexor are curious things, and there's more than just this landing on the third level to explore. So hey, a few things to get on with. Including coming up with a plan to actually destroy the Seal.

Razorstorm
2012-08-31, 04:02 PM
Man, I'm suddenly wishing Victor knew anything about the Planes so he could have enlightening conversations with these chaps!

Thattaman
2012-09-01, 04:25 AM
A pair of elf-eating intelligent Daemons. I think we'll get along famously.

Maugan Ra
2012-09-01, 04:31 AM
Be fair. They eat just about anything. They were going to eat you lot before you stopped them.

But yes. The thrones on the first and second floors, with 'Yah' and 'Rah' inscribed on them respectively, are teleporters. Sit on them, intone the code word, and you and anything on the Dias get transported to another floor.

And there's apparently a High Priest still around... Though the cult was destroyed eighty years ago, with all it's members slain.

Thattaman
2012-09-01, 05:08 AM
But they ate an elf. And Kydrak's done that in the past, so he likes them a lot.

Comissar
2012-09-01, 05:10 AM
Managed to find a bit of internet time, this really will be my last chance though. Reply coming up shortly, and I had indeed assumed it was bound there.

Thattaman
2012-09-01, 05:18 AM
How are you guys doing this Auran thing? Do you use a website that translates? I assume you haven't just learnt as a normal language.

Comissar
2012-09-01, 05:21 AM
The message I sent to Maugan had the Auran pre-translated, so it's just me doing it. All I'm going to tell you is that I'm using a real language to represent Auran. If you work it out, you win a cookie.

Thattaman
2012-09-01, 05:26 AM
It's Irish. Living near the country has some bonuses.

Comissar
2012-09-01, 05:28 AM
... *Grudgingly gives the cookie over*

That was far less intrigue and mystery than I'd first hoped for.

Thattaman
2012-09-01, 05:29 AM
I'm cathcing up with my cookies, Morbis. Soon I'll have as many as you.

Maugan Ra
2012-09-01, 05:29 AM
...bollocks, I was about to guess that. Well, I was going to say Celtic specifically. Ah well.

Comissar
2012-09-01, 05:32 AM
Either way, I think so long as you provide the translation, actually using a different language for different languages is a cool thing to do. Doesn't work nearly as well in a real life game unfortunately. The lack of google translate really slows things down.

Thattaman
2012-09-01, 05:59 AM
I was going to say gaelic but that covers multiple languages including irish.

Comissar
2012-09-01, 06:00 AM
Originally I tried to find Gaelic/Celtic (I think it was gaelic) but I struggled to find a decent site for the translation so I went with Irish instead. Also, dealing with the elemental would have been a lot easier if it actually were a guardian. Trying to persuade it to not remain near the artifact when that's the only reason it's here is a little tricky.

Maugan Ra
2012-09-01, 06:30 AM
And... There you go. Victory, of a sort. Quint gains all the xp, which should end up balancing out later for the stuff he'll miss while Comissar is on this field trip thing.

Comissar
2012-09-01, 06:34 AM
:smalleek:

Talk about a tough debate, that xp just tips me over onto level 6 now as well so that's pretty cool. With regards to levelling up, when do you want me to apply it?

I'm going to assume you'll want me to roll hp for it too

[roll0] (+1 from con, +1 for favoured class, I bet I end up with 3 more hp)

Edit - I worked on the assumption that you'd want me to apply the level up sooner rather than later. If you need to backtrack me to level 5 then knock off the stat gains, drop knowledge arcana and spellcraft to rank 5, drop fly and appraise to rank 0 and lose Major Image and Fly from the spells list.

Final Edit - And with that, I must leave you. I should be back on the 14th by the latest, have a good fortnight or so!

Razorstorm
2012-09-01, 08:48 AM
Dude, Comissar, well done! *high five*

@Thattaman- wait, are you in England?

Morbis Meh
2012-09-01, 01:20 PM
@Thattaman: Cookies are for sharing so the more everyone has the happier the world will be!

@Comissar: Well I missed the entire event... if I would have guessed it would have Newfie speak with is gaelic english spoken on speed.

@Razor: Yes, his location says leads, england

Thattaman
2012-09-01, 01:21 PM
Yes, it's my country of origin, birth and where I've lived all my life. And before you ask I did not go to see the olympics.

Maugan Ra
2012-09-02, 03:22 PM
*slow clap*

Do remember that the Sons of the Pale Horseman are not Asmodeans. Who else did you imagine would refer to the Horn of Abaddon as a holy place?

So yeah. Gentlemen, allow me to introduce you to Ezra Thrice-Damned, dread wraith.

Thattaman
2012-09-02, 03:38 PM
He shouldn't be too hard. Just some wraith dude who thinks he should be king.

Maugan Ra
2012-09-03, 11:00 AM
I'm just going to make some rolls here... No one pay any attention...

[roll0] for [roll1] and [roll2]. If applicable, [roll3]
[roll4] for [roll5] and [roll6]. If applicable, [roll7]
[roll8] for [roll9] and [roll10]. If applicable, [roll11]

Thattaman
2012-09-03, 11:29 AM
I never saw anything.

Thattaman
2012-09-03, 11:50 AM
Oh, god. Stupid wraith priest. *inchoherent grumbling*. Well, it's been nice working with you guys, I've died at the hand of the dead. :smallannoyed: Or you could just help me.

Maugan Ra
2012-09-03, 12:01 PM
Technically, you've not died yet. Just been rather hideously mauled. Ezra wants you alive, in order to free his master... but he's also the ancient ghost of the high priest of an insane death cult, and they don't take defiance well. Impressing one's power and displeasure on the uppity underlings is a time honored tradition among villains.

As is said underlings plotting vicious revenge for later in the story, naturally.

Razorstorm
2012-09-03, 12:18 PM
So here's the question, gentlemen. Do we submit and work with him for now, or do we actually try to kill him? CAN we kill him?

Thattaman
2012-09-03, 02:11 PM
I say kill. We've got loads of minions and this guy doesn't seem safe to work with, he's to idealist and he has different ideals. We kill him before he kills me.

Razorstorm
2012-09-03, 02:34 PM
Hey, what do you know, folks, undead are NOT immune to the sickened condition! Ray of Sickening will totally work on these guys!

Maugan Ra
2012-09-03, 03:25 PM
Also a traditional trait of villains everywhere is attempting to bluff and disguise a position of weakness. Unfortunately for Ezra, he apparently isn't good at bluffing.

Make no mistake here, the Thrice-Damned hates you all with a passion that would put daemons to shame. He also needs you alive and willingly cooperative, in order to restore his master. He can't enter the Sanctum, or break the seal, nor can the wraiths under his command. And he knows it. He was hoping you didn't, and that he could force some kind of better arrangement out of you for his assistance. Apparently, he can't.

To quote a certain conversation from Lost:
Ben: I can convince him to do it.
Juliet: How?
Ben: Same way I get anybody to do anything: I find what he's emotionally invested in and I exploit it.

Thattaman
2012-09-03, 04:33 PM
Kydrak now passionately hates him because he insulted both him and Asmodeous.

Maugan Ra
2012-09-03, 05:38 PM
Excellent, you can all hate each other equally. And be fair, you insulted him and his god first :smalltongue:

And thus do we introduce the Eyes of Vetra-Kali, the means by which you might return him to the material plane. Fortunately, they're all within the Horn at the moment, if you can find them. Locate them, and you should discover how to bring the daemon prince back.

Maugan Ra
2012-09-06, 02:59 AM
Right, where's everyone gone then? OK, technically, it's only been a day or so, but I am a tremendously paranoid fellow about these sorts of things.

Anyway. Any of you have ideas about where to start looking? I will inform you now, merely taking 20 on perception in every room will not be sufficient. The Eyes are not behind secret doors, though nor are they in plain sight.

(They also look like emeralds, for bonus points)

Morbis Meh
2012-09-06, 08:05 AM
OH NOES THE CHAOS EMERALDZ!!! I suggest we start looking on the second floor since it is 'cleared' for the time being then we can ask for the help of the boggards in the caves.

Razorstorm
2012-09-06, 11:00 AM
Agreed to start on the 2nd floor.

Sorry, work kind of chewed me up and spit me out for the last 48 hours.

Morbis Meh
2012-09-06, 11:04 AM
Agreed to start on the 2nd floor.

Sorry, work kind of chewed me up and spit me out for the last 48 hours.

This is when you stick it to the man by showing up for work in your underwear and eating copious amounts of whatever junk food you prefer whilst flipping the bird in a sweet pair of shades.

Maugan Ra
2012-09-06, 03:54 PM
And... There's the Vault. Completely untouched by the invading Mitrans, who were mostly knights and Paladins, and so mostly uncaring of such things as 'looting'. They never found the place.

Also, I've been keeping a track of xp earned on the first post. With that, you all just hit level 6. Congratulations, and pick your new spells carefully.

Morbis Meh
2012-09-06, 04:25 PM
Rolling for tasy HP
[roll0] As for spells... the sheer lack of conjuration is disturbing!

Razorstorm
2012-09-06, 09:32 PM
Woohoo! Level 3 spells!

Do we have to roll or can we just take the average? I can't remember what we did in character creation. I personally prefer the steady approach (and I fear 1's...).

Razorstorm
2012-09-06, 09:53 PM
Additional question: Deciding what to do with my level 5 wizard feat. Was thinking about Crafting Weapons & Armor, since I'm unlikely to be finding enchanted guns. And then if I snag Wondrous items later, I can do constructs eventually, which is very up his ally. Getting a +2 Gun ASAP would be sweetness.

Wands are rather immediately useful however, as are Wondrous Items, as I notice that no one in our group can make them (no conjurors AND no Wondrous Items!).

Opinions, suggestions?

Razorstorm
2012-09-06, 10:34 PM
For spells, I'm definitely taking Lightning Bolt, since it's one of the few spells that gets a bonus from my Arcane Gun power. For my other, I'm leaning towards Haste. It'll beef up me, Kydrak, and Schtein's minions.

But man, I just found Chain of Perdition, which sounds all kinds of fun!

Hmmm. Any inputs? Haste is a pretty solid choice, since it also boosts defences.

Morbis Meh
2012-09-07, 12:45 AM
I have haste so no worries about beefing up my minions XD

Razorstorm
2012-09-07, 01:06 AM
Ah, well in that case, I'm looking at Ray of Exhaustion (benefits from my arcane gun), Stinking Cloud, or Fly.

Leaning toward Fly, but all three are pretty respectable.

Morbis Meh
2012-09-07, 08:27 AM
I will take Vampiric Touch and Make Whole... I shall take a bullet for the team so you guys can focus on more offesive magic, once we have that golem up our lives may get considerably easier lol

Thattaman
2012-09-07, 09:59 AM
Have we leveled? Or are we just contemplating what we'll take for our spells? I think I'm going to take gaseous form. Show that wraith that not only undead can be incorporeal. And I'll also take excrutiating deformation, a torture method that does not kill people but just makes them iehter unconcious or really weak (usually both). Also, are we the kind of group of wizard who copies from each others spell book? It would be a practical option.

Morbis Meh
2012-09-07, 10:02 AM
Have we leveled? Or are we just contemplating what we'll take for our spells? I think I'm going to take gaseous form. Show that wraith that not only undead can be incorporeal. And I'll also take excrutiating deformation, a torture method that does not kill people but just makes them iehter unconcious or really weak (usually both). Also, are we the kind of group of wizard who copies from each others spell book? It would be a practical option.

It would if we were a normal group lol but keep in mind our fellow companions are also are rivals, OoC I would definitely say yes if everyone is onboard but IC I doubt that would be the case.

Maugan Ra
2012-09-07, 10:40 AM
You should roll for your HP. A little but of randomness. As for feats, well, at least one person in the group should probably look at finding a way to craft Wondrous Items sooner or later. They're very useful, and you do have a vault full of money to fund the construction process.

Also in the vault are the following, since Victor is searching it.
- A Rod of elemental meta magic (Acid) lesser
- A ring of mind shielding
- A belt of Giant strength +2
- and a Box of a dozen neatly labelled potions of Cure Moderate Wounds.

Anyway. Onwards, to locate the other gems.

Morbis Meh
2012-09-07, 10:49 AM
Also in the vault are the following, since Victor is searching it.
- A Rod of elemental meta magic (Acid) lesser
- A ring of mind shielding
- A belt of Giant strength +2
- and a Box of a dozen neatly labelled potions of Cure Moderate Wounds.

Anyway. Onwards, to locate the other gems.

My votes for dividing up loots:

Belt: Kydrak if he doesn't already possess such an item
Rod: Probably most useful for Victor since his spells that he shoots are generally elemental.
Ring: Mind shielding would be useful for anyone who talks and wants to avoid being figured out... Victor has intimidate and Schtein has intimidate/Bluff though Schtein's appearance is somewhat unhelpful.

Potions: Sad to say they are useless to me and my minions C'est la vie!

Thattaman
2012-09-07, 12:08 PM
I'd like to have the belt and the potions since Kydrak will often be at the front and doesn't want to die.

Morbis Meh
2012-09-07, 12:14 PM
I'd like to have the belt and the potions since Kydrak will often be at the front and doesn't want to die.

As I stated before I am in agreement with your wishes, I just need to find a way to cast inflict X wounds... or at the very least be able to do a negative energy blast like a cleric.

Razorstorm
2012-09-07, 01:01 PM
As far as copying spells, Victor has no objections. He does NOT see the others as rivals, as he has no ambitions of leadership. His breed of Evil is that he views people as disposable and expendable, especially those he sees as lower than him.

Razorstorm
2012-09-07, 01:04 PM
rolling HP [roll0]

I think I'll take Fly, so that we have some utility there.

I agree that I'm probably the best choice for the metamagic rod, being that I mostly serve as the blaster.

I'll go ahead and take Craft Wondrous Item now, since that has more general group utility. I think each of us should at least carry one of those potions.

Thattaman
2012-09-07, 02:03 PM
Wait, have we leveled up?

Razorstorm
2012-09-07, 02:12 PM
Yessir! Level 6!

Thattaman
2012-09-07, 04:30 PM
Rolling hp [roll0]

Edit: Character leveled up. I took haste and lesser animate dead as spells seen as Schtein won't let us copy from spellbooks.

Razorstorm
2012-09-07, 11:49 PM
Since we leveled up, do we need to take a rest, or should we just keep pressing on? Just wondering how we should proceed?

Maugan Ra
2012-09-08, 12:32 AM
Well, unless you do something particularly unwise, there aren't any more fights scheduled until you've at least obtained the other Eyes. You might as well press on.

I do need to know where you go looking for the other Eyes, though. Having rechecked my posts, you should be able to work it out for the relevant areas, especially given that you know the Eyes radiate conjuration magic.

Thattaman
2012-09-08, 04:27 AM
Can I get my constitution back soon. Kydrak's feeling particularly weak.

Maugan Ra
2012-09-08, 06:49 AM
Since you leveled up, sure why not. Your strength returns as you continue the search.

Razorstorm
2012-09-08, 05:50 PM
Once we start settling in, I can make the alchemical fire/ice, and some wondrous items for us. We should also stock up on scrolls of our various utility spells for group use.

I'm excited to figure just how much cash is in that room!

Maugan Ra
2012-09-08, 05:52 PM
45,000gp, give or take a bit.

So, you want to investigate the teleporters? It's easy enough. Stand or sit in the relevant area, intone the command word, and you will be taken to the corresponding floor.

Morbis Meh
2012-09-08, 06:27 PM
Alright before we head down Stein would cast make whole on the Construct's core. Will post later I am currently out with my finance and soon to be in laws

Razorstorm
2012-09-08, 07:10 PM
Have fun! When are you getting married?

Morbis Meh
2012-09-08, 08:24 PM
Have fun! When are you getting married?

November 9th 2013, I am at my first stock car race.event... it is interesting to say the least... could use a little more rocket launchers and machine guns... twisted metal how I miss you

Thattaman
2012-09-09, 03:16 AM
45,000gp. Where we going to buy stuff for that much? I can buy a really cool sword.

Morbis Meh
2012-09-09, 01:04 PM
45,000gp. Where we going to buy stuff for that much? I can buy a really cool sword.

Or better yet a gun that shoots swords! Or you could craft a mini gun that shot off multiple wands of magic missiles in a single shot...

Maugan Ra
2012-09-09, 01:32 PM
Right, well, the Make Whole spell functions and you repair the crystal lens of the Golem's eye. Now, any ideas about where you look specifically? Have a look at the relevant posts in the IC thread.

Razorstorm
2012-09-10, 09:43 AM
@Thattaman

What was that about "If others want Hexor or Vexor." I didn't quite follow you there?

Morbis Meh
2012-09-10, 09:48 AM
@Thattaman

What was that about "If others want Hexor or Vexor." I didn't quite follow you there?

I think he is in the belief we have two demonic minions, though from what I gather they are more temporary allies... Well Kydrak is a meglomaniac and will stop at nothing when it comes to ruling other people he deems lesser :smallbiggrin: Though I do think it would be entertaining if he stumbled upon a tribe that began worshipping him as a god then found out that the tribe ingests their god lol

Thattaman
2012-09-10, 09:58 AM
Kydrak intends to run the boggard tribe because they are lesser and easier to control whereas Hexor and Vexor could tear me apart if I said something wrong so you guys can have your own daemon buddy and I'll have the boggard tribe. I do speak perfect boggard.

Morbis Meh
2012-09-10, 10:08 AM
Kydrak intends to run the boggard tribe because they are lesser and easier to control whereas Hexor and Vexor could tear me apart if I said something wrong so you guys can have your own daemon buddy and I'll have the boggard tribe. I do speak perfect boggard.

The demon's are only temporary allies due to us being in the temple and like Schtein said IC... good luck you will need it to control the entire tribe! It will be amusing to see what happens though unless you have some mass control spell you won't do it via diplomatic means since that isn't Kydrak's style. Though given the choice the Boggards may fight to the last man for all we know... I hope that isn't the case since controlling something may at the very least relax Kydrak.

Thattaman
2012-09-10, 10:20 AM
If I cast suggestion on the preist then Kydrak can gain favour from him which will make the Boggards stand with me. Anyway, I don't really think Kydrak should be the soul owner of these boggards, but Kydrak does. Also am I getting that belt and the potions or have we not decided on everything with that.

By the way, this game is amazing. The best of all PbP I've ever played and I've been doing this for over a year.

Morbis Meh
2012-09-10, 10:39 AM
If I cast suggestion on the preist then Kydrak can gain favour from him which will make the Boggards stand with me. Anyway, I don't really think Kydrak should be the soul owner of these boggards, but Kydrak does. Also am I getting that belt and the potions or have we not decided on everything with that.

By the way, this game is amazing. The best of all PbP I've ever played and I've been doing this for over a year.

Glad to hear it sir! As for the boggards, Schtein doesn't overly care he just wants a solid plan and a reason from Kydrak why it would benefit the group to have him take control. If he can produce a viable explanation, Schtein will help see it through but what he doesn't want is a botched attempt that will ruin what the group already has... suggestion may be a risky venture too bad no one has mind fog or anything like that. I say take the belt since I took the ring.

Razorstorm
2012-09-10, 10:52 AM
Yeah, you take the belt, and most of the potions. I really think everyone should carry one, though, leaving you holding the rest.

We need a medic... Maybe we should kidnap one and subjugate him? Or surely Asmodeus could cough up an acolyte or something?

Morbis Meh
2012-09-10, 10:55 AM
Yeah, you take the belt, and most of the potions. I really think everyone should carry one, though, leaving you holding the rest.

We need a medic... Maybe we should kidnap one and subjugate him? Or surely Asmodeus could cough up an acolyte or something?

Schtein will not take a potion that is just a bad idea XD He has undead healing due to his race so that would only hurt him and his companions. As for the medic that would be useful but not 100% necessary just hope that the Will save bonus is low and that the GM doesn't roll like most GM's I know!

Maugan Ra
2012-09-11, 04:30 AM
I'm having tremendous fun roleplaying Hexor and Vexor. Can you tell? :smalltongue:

Also, very much approving of the in-character banter going on there. In terms of getting a clue from the Shaman... I refer you back to the glowering head of doom that appeared in the fire when you first spoke to Zikomo.

As for acquiring a healer, well, Farholde has several divine priests who administer to the needs of the laity for a nominal fee. They produce potions as well. If you need more active support, breaking the clay seal will contact Tiadora and the Cardinal Thorne, who might be able to arrange something. Just do try not to offend them by making what they might interpret as irrelevant requests...

Razorstorm
2012-09-12, 12:34 AM
I'll be honest, I've been pouring over the description of the second floor, and I have no idea where to look next. Guys, we need to peel this place apart with your magic sight.

Just to make sure I'm on the right floor, we ARE talking about the floor with the Charon fountain, right?

One other thing, when was Quint coming back again?

Morbis Meh
2012-09-12, 12:43 AM
I'll be honest, I've been pouring over the description of the second floor, and I have no idea where to look next. Guys, we need to peel this place apart with your magic sight.

Just to make sure I'm on the right floor, we ARE talking about the floor with the Charon fountain, right?

One other thing, when was Quint coming back again?

Sometime next week I imagine he was going to be in the field for 10 days, as for going everywhere and detecting magic... well I suppose we could do that for the time being.

Maugan Ra
2012-09-12, 12:56 AM
There may have been some confusion. This is the Second Floor, which you know to have an Eye somewhere within.

The Horn of Abaddon, having once been the central base of an infernal death cult, has clearly been designed with security in mind. You cannot find any way up from the first level to the second that does not involve exiting the entire temple and taking an entirely different root up the side of the mountain.

The second floor is clearly designed for superior defense relative to the first one. The approach staircase is winding and narrow, and the narrow entry hall stretches for forty foot between a pair of guard rooms that cover it every inch of the way with overlapping fire arcs. There is also a pit trap midway along the hall, now jammed open by the passage of time and bridged by a crude set of logs (it appears to drop intruders somewhere on the first floor), and there is a half-wall at the end to provide a superior position for defending troops. When you enter the floor proper, you see why.

This whole floor is evidently designed to meet the needs of the true priests of the death cult. Blasphemous murals cover the walls, showing numerous scenes from the cult's history and the various profane rituals they have performed. Interestingly, some of the murals are so detailed and intricate you wager you could likely duplicate some of those summoning rituals yourselves, though it would take some time.

The centre point of this level is a proper temple-shrine chamber in the east wing. Six stately pillars rise into the air, surrounded by carvings of carrion birds and plague daemons, forming a processional that leads right up to the foot of another throne much like the one on the floor below. This one is inscribed with the abyssal symbol 'Rah'. Interestingly, it appears that the pillars match up with similar (though less ornate) constructions on the floor below. Structural supports, perhaps.

The west wing of the floor appears mostly given over to acolyte quarters. They are mostly empty, save for one which holds a single statue of truly exquisite craftsmanship. It depicts what must have been a member of the cult, standing in the centre of the room with a spiked flail brandished menacingly.

From one of the other chambers, you think you can hear the sounds of movement.

A quick search of the floor yields no way up to the third level. There must be one, since it seems doubtful the priests would have willingly gone rock climbing across the face of the Horn every time they wanted to go up there, but it has evidently been hidden. The closest you have to a passage up is a holding cell which seems to connect to a pit trap on the floor above, currently sealed.

Looking around the second floor, Victor discovers a few things of note in his intensive search (as does anyone else who gets involved).

Firstly, the statue in the acolytes quarters is not actually a statue. Close examination, and your own wizardly expertise, reveals that it is actually a cultist transformed at some point into stone, presumably via a petrifaction spell (there are not enough like him to account for something like a marauding Medusa).

Secondly, there is an old scrap of paper in one of the guard rooms, partially singed and with several of the words obscured. The rest is in Abyssal.
Have to get out... stairs a death trap... get to throne room... Yah...

Thirdly, one of the pillars in the central shrine is hollow. There appears to be no way inside up here, but Victor's engineering and architectural knowledge suggests that there might be something on the floor below. Failing that, it also overlaps with the odd section of man-wrought stone in the caverns below, specifically the mud pit chamber.

Finally, your methodical search brings you closer to the room in the acolytes wing which you heard the movement coming from. You can definitely hear it now - an odd sort of liquid sound, perhaps from an ooze of some description, coming from the chamber in the very north-west of the floor.

This all takes you something approaching two hours, assuming the four of you divide up the area equally and search at the same time.

Razorstorm
2012-09-12, 01:05 AM
Ah ha! Okay, I was totally looking through the wrong posts. Thank you.

This is the next room I think we should investigate.

"This whole floor is evidently designed to meet the needs of the true priests of the death cult. Blasphemous murals cover the walls, showing numerous scenes from the cult's history and the various profane rituals they have performed. Interestingly, some of the murals are so detailed and intricate you wager you could likely duplicate some of those summoning rituals yourselves, though it would take some time."

Maugan Ra
2012-09-12, 02:10 AM
So, yes, those rituals allow you to summon earth elementals (specifically mudmen), hell hounds and Nightmares to your service. Doing so is difficult and expensive, but it might well be worth it.

(The Nightmare in particular, given that they're basically evil Pegasi that can breath fire. For when you need to get around in style.)

Morbis Meh
2012-09-12, 08:19 AM
So, yes, those rituals allow you to summon earth elementals (specifically mudmen), hell hounds and Nightmares to your service. Doing so is difficult and expensive, but it might well be worth it.

(The Nightmare in particular, given that they're basically evil Pegasi that can breath fire. For when you need to get around in style.)

Pegasi, Pegasi! The four horsemen on flaming steeds! I suppose I would be death or pestulence... Viktor or Kydrak would be war they could fight over it :smallbiggrin: and Qint would be... Quint? Maybe famine since he could always project images of food in front of slow witted people and they would simply starve.

Thattaman
2012-09-12, 11:02 AM
The four evil magic horsemen on nightmares would be amazing. Kydrak would want to be war. But maybe we could all just be a combonation of all four.

Morbis Meh
2012-09-12, 11:21 AM
The four evil magic horsemen on nightmares would be amazing. Kydrak would want to be war. But maybe we could all just be a combonation of all four.

Lol the two Wars could fight it out in a controlled contest... Quint could start the bets and Schtein could always revive the loser into a somewhat same state if an 'accident' occurs... We could also have a new group name other than our organization name: the four horsemen

Maugan Ra
2012-09-12, 12:34 PM
Heh. The position of the Four Horsemen is already claimed. There's a temple to them on the third floor, after all (well, them and Vetra-Kali). But then, who am I to stop such ambitious blasphemy?

You do still have Boggard minions, but they've been left behind in the caves. That's the assumption I've been going with, anyway.

Morbis Meh
2012-09-12, 12:40 PM
Heh. The position of the Four Horsemen is already claimed. There's a temple to them on the third floor, after all (well, them and Vetra-Kali). But then, who am I to stop such ambitious blasphemy?

You do still have Boggard minions, but they've been left behind in the caves. That's the assumption I've been going with, anyway.

I was under the impression we had several assigned to come with us as per the request Schtein made before they went up... though we did spend a night upstairs... I think so they have left, but no worries we can gather up minions and start from the bottom up since we know where the two top ones are.

Maugan Ra
2012-09-13, 11:07 AM
Well, if you head off for the caves, we can get started on finding that last Eye. And then the proper meat of the adventure can begin.

Actually, I don't mind giving you some clues as to the larger adventure in advance. The ritual is going to take quite some time, and it is going to be attracting adventurers and general do-gooders to the Horn in an attempt to stop you. So start having a think about how to go about fortifying this place and being prepared to defend it from the assorted heroes.

Traps, minions, magical distractions, it's all possible. You have your own resources and the contents of that treasure vault to properly prepare. Best make use of them.

Morbis Meh
2012-09-13, 11:18 AM
Well, if you head off for the caves, we can get started on finding that last Eye. And then the proper meat of the adventure can begin.

Actually, I don't mind giving you some clues as to the larger adventure in advance. The ritual is going to take quite some time, and it is going to be attracting adventurers and general do-gooders to the Horn in an attempt to stop you. So start having a think about how to go about fortifying this place and being prepared to defend it from the assorted heroes.

Traps, minions, magical distractions, it's all possible. You have your own resources and the contents of that treasure vault to properly prepare. Best make use of them.

...Well if being Canadian has ever taught me anything is that borders are impregnable when you have the ulmighty orange pylon guarding it! (At one point this is what we had at a couple of border crossings between the US and Canada :smallbiggrin: )

Razorstorm
2012-09-13, 12:10 PM
Yeah, I definitely have started thinking about defenses. We need to look at our weaknesses and how we would attack this place if we were a group of mid-level do-gooders.

Razorstorm
2012-09-13, 12:26 PM
In the words of the 10th Doctor Who, "Allons-y!"

Maugan Ra
2012-09-13, 03:00 PM
So yeah. Not that part of the caves - it just looks unnatural because it's where the cult hid the staircase up towards the Sanctum. And yes, without flight or teleportation, the only way to reach the Sanctum is to go all the way down to the bottom of the mountain, and then climb about 400ft of a narrow spiral staircase.

My knees ache on your behalf.

Morbis Meh
2012-09-13, 03:02 PM
So then... grease would be invaluable for defending the stairs... maybe one can summon an angry gorilla to throw barrels down it, or a small fire elemental or two

Razorstorm
2012-09-13, 03:18 PM
Dude, a flaming grease trap with a barrel chucking infernal gorilla at the top! Not only will we be safe, we'll have produced the next blockbuster platformer game!

Maugan Ra
2012-09-13, 04:44 PM
Just some rolls, once again, no need for concern. Well, there might be some need.

[roll0]

[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]

Maugan Ra
2012-09-13, 04:55 PM
And... Pit traps. How I love pit traps. Especially when filled with spikes.

Maugan Ra
2012-09-13, 05:51 PM
To clarify...

The pit trap there had a magical trigger, hence why it only collapsed in once everyone had stepped on it. If you pass the DC20 reflex save, you take no damage as you avoid falling in all-together.

Morbis, did you roll at all there? I can't see the dice roll anywhere. And shush, I can never remember the difference between Stalactites and Stalagmites...

Morbis Meh
2012-09-13, 05:57 PM
Redundant Save [roll0]

Officially dead -11

Though to be fair a 30 ft fall takes 9 seconds for someone to fall down therefore we'd get a full round action before we hit the ground.

Maugan Ra
2012-09-13, 06:41 PM
You only die once your negative hit points are equal to your constitution in Pathfinder. Schtein has at least a few rounds left.

And a 30ft fall is about 9m. You hit the ground in about a second, assuming average earth gravity.

Razorstorm
2012-09-13, 06:42 PM
Victor rolling Reflex
[roll0]

Morbis Meh
2012-09-13, 06:53 PM
You only die once your negative hit points are equal to your constitution in Pathfinder. Schtein has at least a few rounds left.

And a 30ft fall is about 9m. You hit the ground in about a second, assuming average earth gravity.

meh don't overly care we got railroaded into this so I am backing out

Maugan Ra
2012-09-13, 07:02 PM
...the ****? It's a room with a pit trap. You went to go investigate the room, searching for traps along the way. Only Victor had a perception score high enough to actually spot it (it was DC25), since natural 20's don't auto-pass skill checks. I tested for him in the above post, and he failed, so you got caught by the pit trap.

The trap is designed so that it activates a few seconds after you've entered, so as to get more possible targets. Which is common for any trap that actually wishes to hit more than one target.

And you're calling railroading, Morbis? After I specifically told you in PMs that it was deeply unlikely this would kill you, due to the presence of certain allies? After I altered the elemental in the sanctum so that it could be bypassed by Quint's Roleplaying, even though the written adventure has it attack on sight? Seriously?

Morbis Meh
2012-09-13, 07:08 PM
One Victor for one hinted at going to see this room, the DC's to find this trap were frankly rather absurd and all in all who really cares? You can argue all you want in my opinion you still unfairly screwed us and that doesn't sit well with me. My character is basically dead since they have no accessible means to stabilize or heal him. Hell when he is out I am sure Kydrak would stab him or one of his skeletons would so they could have their freedom. That aside, good luck and have a good remainder of the game guys the rping was fun while it lasted

Maugan Ra
2012-09-13, 07:39 PM
It's a play by post game, if I go through two or more posts each time confirming that you absolutely want to go somewhere you were interested in going, it will slow the game down to a crawl. Victor had been going from location to location searching for the Eyes, so when he mentioned checking the cave next, I figured you were going. And because up until this point you've all been moving together, i treated you as still being, well, all together.

The absolute base perception DC for a pit trap in the rules is 20. Raising it to 25, as it's written in the adventure, increases the CR by one. That's not that extreme, especially given that this is a sixth level party, and the reflex save for avoiding it stays at the default 20.

Schtein is not dead. Hexor and Vexor have dimension door at will, and Zikomo has Stabilise, and they all have valid reasons for keeping you alive. I would not make your created and summoned creatures attack you, and I doubt Kydrek would simply murder you here on a whim.

It matters because I care about being a decent GM. And when my players complain about the game and quit, I want to understand why so that I can correct it in future. In this case, though, you are quitting because of a single pit trap, which I just do not get.

Razorstorm
2012-09-13, 08:20 PM
For the record, I wasn't perturbed by the trap, even before I passed my roll. It happens. We have potions. No biggie.

I'd hate to see you go, dude, but I think you're blowing this a little out of proportion.

Morbis Meh
2012-09-13, 08:26 PM
He has 2 rounds to live if you don't include skeletons falling on him, so he is essentially dead without DM fiat so it does not matter if I bow out anyway since he is going to die. Regardless of how you feel I am reacting, I am still backing out, you may feel like I am over reacting, others think that this was a pretty lame move (I usually ask people to make sure I am not over reacting)

Razorstorm
2012-09-13, 08:27 PM
In what world are you dead? There is a companion right next to you with a dozen healing potions on him.

Morbis Meh
2012-09-13, 08:29 PM
In what world are you dead? There is a companion right next to you with a dozen healing potions on him.

They are all cure light wound potions, Schtein is a dhampir, they would finish him off, secondly you passed so you didn't fall into the trap thus you are not down there with him.

Maugan Ra
2012-09-13, 08:34 PM
Technically, Schtein is harmed by healing potions due to being half-vampire. Hence why I pointed out Zikomo and his Stabilise spell. Hexor and Vexor do know where you are, since they've been following you on the hunt for the Eyes. Hell, they fell in as well, and just happen to be tough enough to not be in any serious danger.

But very well, if you won't change your mind, we can leave Schtein as being dead. I'll put up a recruiting replacements thread soonish. Probably for two or three people, since we lost a couple before now as well. They can be sent along by Thorn as reinforcements for you once you've found the other Eye and started on the ritual etc.

Thattaman
2012-09-14, 01:28 AM
I want to say how disappointed I am with Morbis. This has been the best pbp game I've ever played and a lot of that is down to mine and his pointless arguments at every oppurtunity. And leaving because of one trap? Thst just seems ridiculous. I really thought we had a shot at playing a really god pbp, but that obviously wasn't Morbis's idea.

Maugan Ra
2012-09-14, 05:14 AM
Be that as it may, can Kydrak make his save, please? It'll be needed to work out if you'll have to use up some potions.

Maugan Ra
2012-09-15, 12:45 AM
And... Plot update. That's basically a version of a magic mouth spell, left in place by a long dead member of the Cult who worked out how to bring Vetra-Kali back, but was unable to do it.

For clarity, you require the following to succeed:

- 666 prayers need to be invoked, one each at Dusk, Midnight and Dawn for 222 days (roughly seven months). Each has an hour window when it must be performed. If you miss even one, the ritual as a whole must be restarted, so it's probably a good idea to make sure the Sanctum is secured from those irritating hero types who like to burst in at the worst possible moments.

- With each prayer, a dose of Unholy water has to be splashed over the seal. Hexor and Vexor can tell you that the small fountain in the Sanctum produces unholy water on command (they also know the prayers mentioned in the recording. I'm glossing over the info dump they'd otherwise have to give you on all of this)

- When you start the ritual, you have to sacrifice a member of the Sons of the Pale Horseman on the altar. There is a petrified cultist on the second floor... Getting him to bleed and die on command is an exercise in your own ingenuity.

- Midway through, at the 111th Dawn, you'll need a devout follower of Mitra to die on the altar. Worship of Mitra is the state religion, so arranging this one shouldn't be too hard.

- At dusk on the 222nd day, you'll need to sacrifice a descendent of King Marakadian the Victor, who initially banished Vetra-Kali. Finding a descendant is a task for you lot.

- If all this is done, then at Midnight, Vetra-Kali will return. You can trade him his three eyes in exchange for three boons. The exact boons you ask for are up to you, but it is recommended that you stop him from eating your eyes for one and getting the Tears of Achlys for another. The third is your choice entirely.

Of course, evil rituals like this one tend to be quite flashy and obvious. Statues weeping blood, children having nightmares, divine visitations warning the faithful that something bad is happening... All that good stuff. People will be attempting to stop you. You've got to hold them off for seven months. Hence the previous comments about investigating ways to fortify the Horn. Replacement players should be turning up in time for the start of the ritual as well.

So... Questions, ideas, evil schemes?

Thattaman
2012-09-15, 04:00 AM
We kill everything that moves! Also, I think Kydrak's going to raise Sctein as a zombie or skeleton. Partially as a goodbye, partially as a ha! I lived longer than you!

Maugan Ra
2012-09-15, 05:20 AM
Well, looting the bodies of fallen companions is a time honored tradition. So is looting the wizard's spell book.

Comissar
2012-09-15, 05:24 AM
Just caught up on the OoC thread, will start catching up on the IC thread now. Sorry to see Morbis leave, I do want it noted that Quint can cast Feather Fall as a free spell once per day, which I would have though could've saved him from pit trap death if that's what happened. :smallfrown:

Ah well, catching up IC now, will post again when I have.

Edit: Caught up now, was I following everyone around or did I end up hanging about upstairs?

Maugan Ra
2012-09-15, 07:14 AM
Ah, he returns! Anyway, at present Quint is assumed to have been off doing something poorly defined off screen. Probably was following the party, all things considered, and didn't fall into the pit trap because I didn't want to be a **** and screw you over like that while you weren't around.

But yeah. You might want to have a think about fortifying the place, and after that, maybe calling into Thorne with a status report. So he can send along those replacement characters if nothing else...

Maugan Ra
2012-09-15, 08:22 AM
Heh. Cold, Kydrek. You'll do just fine in the service of hell.

Anyway, I take it folks wish to get in contact with the Cardinal? Make a post to that effect if so, just break the clay seal Tiadora gave you. And in the mean time, perhaps invest in moving the Eyes together into a central location. The Sanctum would be a good bet - They'll need to be there eventually anyway. And their magic will resonate with the Sanctum's own power, you can tell that much just by looking at them.

Razorstorm
2012-09-15, 01:13 PM
Forgive me, slight clarification needed.

Is this eye stuck in the wall beyond the pit, or in a wall of the pit?

Not a huge deal, but mostly I'm just orienting myself.

For the record, Victor isn't too keen on animating the corpses of people he actually knew. It's just creepy. He won't stop you, but he wants no part of it, and you'll notice that he avoids looking at that particular undead as much as possible. He is, however, totally in favor of looting his possessions and spellbook!

Wait... Did we need a brain for the golem?

Maugan Ra
2012-09-15, 08:12 PM
Wall of the pit. That way, the only way to find it is to risk impaling oneself on a bunch of stalagmites.

The golem does need a brain, yes, but only a human, elven or half-elven one will do. Otherwise the neural connections won't match up right and it'll probably go insane upon activation.

Thattaman
2012-09-16, 02:41 AM
When's the new recruitment thread coming up?

Maugan Ra
2012-09-16, 03:49 AM
It already is up. Thus far, based on the thread and some PMs, we're looking at adding a Drow Theurge and a Halfling Necromancer to the party. Should round things out nicely and put us back at decent numbers.

Now. I shall have to make sure I get that map of the third floor completed, but in the mean time, would someone like to contact the Cardinal and give a report? Beyond that, start thinking about how you're going to prepare for the ritual.

Oh, and for the majority of the ritual, time will flow at an increased speed, a week or more at a time between events. So we don't have to drag everything out for too long. All, that is, save the final five days, where things get... hectic. But worry about getting there first, I think.

Comissar
2012-09-17, 10:38 AM
Can we get the cardinal to send a prisoner/"volunteer" along as well? It'd save us having to go out there, find a guy, bring him back etc.

IC post up shortly as well.

Maugan Ra
2012-09-17, 11:34 AM
You'd have to ask him about that. Or rather, Tiadora, who is the one who has responded to your summons. It might be possible, depending on the exact requirements.

Comissar
2012-09-17, 11:45 AM
I believe the exact requirements were "Has a brain, is Human/Elf/Half-Elf". Shouldn't be too hard to meet those, just skip over the Barbarians and we're good! :smallwink:

Comissar
2012-09-17, 12:56 PM
Has a decision been reached on how Schtein's equipment is being spread about?

Also, can we just copy spells that we don't have from his book straight over, or do we need to make a check to do so?

Maugan Ra
2012-09-17, 01:08 PM
If any of you want to call dibs on pieces of his equipment, now would be the time. As for the spell book, since you can just try again if you fail the first test, just go ahead and copy any spells you don't already know across.

Comissar
2012-09-17, 01:16 PM
Dibs on the ring, I doubt Quint'll get a whole lot out of the book, Necromancy spells aren't something he's interested in.

Razorstorm
2012-09-18, 10:02 PM
Forgive the silence guys. I'm having a rough few days between work and car repairs, and this feels like a bit of a transition.

Let's brainstorm a few things we'd like to do with the place. Are we interested in those summoning rituals on the mural to get ourselves some Mudmen, Hellhounds, or Nightmares?

Maugan Ra
2012-09-19, 12:04 AM
And the fresh blood have arrived. Feel free to introduce yourself to them, and establish an internal pecking order before you get on with the business of being properly diabolic.

The scroll case Tiadora gave you has a collection of notes from Thorn and other agents. Long story short, Markadian has many heirs alive in the Kingdom today, including the current Royal family. Since they're unlikely to be easily accessible, what with the war on, Thorn recommends Sir Valin Darian, the commander of the Farholde Garrison now that the Duke has gone off to war. He should have enough of Markadian's blood in him to qualify.

Of course, he's also holed up in the fortress of Hamarhill right now, to the north of the city, with a distinctly overworked detachment of twenty guards (there would normally be over a hundred, but the rest have gone off to war). A tough target, but not necessarily insurmountable, if you are willing to risk it.

Cloudsmeet
2012-09-19, 02:48 AM
Kin shall speak in Dark Orange, a colour which I think does not step on anyone's toes.

Just so you know out of character, he's an evocation admixture specialist with a particular enjoyment of fire (and particularly fireballs). He can do a few other basic things, like invisibility and flying, but mainly he's a blaster and build-wise he's just starting to take off so he should get stronger as the levels go onwards. His banned schools are Divination and Enchantment.

Background wise, his magical skills/powers and paranoia are both due to his father's not particularly tender experimentation on him from a young age. In the interests of avoiding inter-party conflict, his paranoia is mostly assuaged by the Pact of Thorns assuring that those on an equal footing with him in regards to the pact are bound to deal with him fairly as long as he does the same.

Comissar
2012-09-19, 07:32 AM
Welcome to the group, glad to have another blasty wizard on board. Are you able to make magic items at all by any chance?

Edit - Also, I'm tempted to say let's go abducting people for the rituals before we get started properly, I'm firmly of the opinion that it's a good idea to have everything in one place so that we're not up against the clock.

Cloudsmeet
2012-09-19, 07:46 AM
He's an alchemist and he can scribe scrolls, but the only magic item crafting feat he's planning on taking is craft rods, which requires caster level 9.

I'm all for abducting people early, although you might actually want to explain why (for the benefit of both player and character!)

Comissar
2012-09-19, 07:55 AM
Basically, we're already in an eggs -> basket situation simply by being in the temple for so long. I figure we've got nothing to lose and a lot to gain by ensuring that we have all the sacrifices we'll need ready and waiting where we can keep an immediate eye on them. I think I mentioned it earlier, but we only need to keep them alive, not necessarily in good condition. The cultist is sacrificed on day one, we can stone-flesh (assuming somebody has that) the "statue" for that, no problem. The normal worshipper could be whoever I think, maybe a cleric for bonus points. The descendant is the sticking point, if people are figuring out what we're up to then there's, at least in my mind, a decent chance they'd want to defend him from us. By picking him up early, maybe even subbing in a fake corpse of him, we can keep our cards close to our chest. We could even strap him up in such a way that he can't move, force him to wear the ring of sustenance and then forget about him until we need him.

Purely my thoughts on the matter of course, I'm sure everyone else will have their own opinions.

Snowfire
2012-09-19, 08:06 AM
Well, Ilvaria (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=446081) will talk in Navy.

As for appearance...she looks sort of like this, except with purple eyes:

http://fc04.deviantart.net/fs47/f/2009/188/0/9/Drow_Portrait__Wicked_Sister_by_Direwrath.jpg

She's a Divination/Enchantment specialist with a little bit of self & party buffing. Oh, and she really, really hates Mithra - as well as a particular noble family.

Comissar
2012-09-19, 08:11 AM
Splendid! An omnicidal Drow is never a bad team mate in my book. :smallwink:

Snowfire
2012-09-19, 08:15 AM
Oh, she's not omnicidal. Her murderous tendencies flow in a very focused and concentrated direction. And as for someone to capture for the Mithran sacrifice...

Well, she has a 'sister' from the noble family that she was raised in that was rather a bitch to her about her being a drow. Paladin of Mithra. Can we capture her? Please?

Pretty, pretty please?

Comissar
2012-09-19, 08:19 AM
An act of petty and out of proportion vengeance? It's certainly a tricky thing to say no to.

Snowfire
2012-09-19, 08:26 AM
An act of petty and out of proportion vengeance? It's certainly a tricky thing to say no to.

Considering her way of joining the Knot of Thorns involved burning most of a village to the ground (with the villagers inside the buildings) to grant her enough power to summon an Erinyes which she then let catch her 'brother', who had tracked her down and was trying to bring her in (he was a cleric of Mithra), and ravage him as a bargaining chip so that the Erinyes would take her to meet the Cardinal.

If she has anything at all to say about it, that entire noble family is going to die. And then she, as the last one left of the house (she still technically carries the name and no one knows the drow name she's taken except for the Cardinal and presumably you lot) will proceed to inherit everything.

Maugan Ra
2012-09-19, 08:27 AM
Oh, she's not omnicidal. Her murderous tendencies flow in a very focused and concentrated direction. And as for someone to capture for the Mithran sacrifice...

Well, she has a 'sister' from the noble family that she was raised in that was rather a bitch to her about her being a drow. Paladin of Mithra. Can we capture her? Please?

Pretty, pretty please?

The trouble being, of course, that Paladins are notoriously difficult to keep subdued for long lengths of time. They're also rather difficult to capture in the first place - something about fighting to the death rather than submitting to capture.

Said sister will be showing up at some point, have no fear on that account. I have the perfect time in mind as well.

And while delaying for however long you need has its merits, your superiors are going to get impatient for progress eventually. As are the daemons and animated spirits of raw hatred currently working with you.

Comissar
2012-09-19, 08:31 AM
How about a compromise? We go out "sister" hunting once we're done with the ritual. We don't really want to broadcast what we're doing if we can help it after all. I reckon grabbing that descendant first, then getting it all started should be our first set of moves.

Snowfire
2012-09-19, 08:38 AM
The trouble being, of course, that Paladins are notoriously difficult to keep subdued for long lengths of time. They're also rather difficult to capture in the first place - something about fighting to the death rather than submitting to capture.

Which is why I took Admonishing Ray instead of Scorching, Bungle, Memory Lapse and Qualm as some of my free wizard spells and will likely have Early Judgement perpetually prepared. Oh, and Command.

Also, give me a level and I get access to lovely little things like Chain of Perdition, Blindness/Deafness, Sands of Time and - oh yeah - Bestow Curse. The first two should be about enough to subdue her, the others should suffice in keeping her contained. Coupled with a few other fun little tricks at least. Waters of Lamashtu perhaps...

How about a compromise? We go out "sister" hunting once we're done with the ritual. We don't really want to broadcast what we're doing if we can help it after all. I reckon grabbing that descendant first, then getting it all started should be our first set of moves.

Ah, that's fine. As long as we get a confrontation that'll be fine. It's more of a long term goal under the Fourth Loyalty. Oh, and on the subject of preparing the Horn for siege, I have a very bad (in terms of balance) idea that our esteemed GM very well may kill me for.

It involves binding an outsider. One specific type of Outsider in fact. Efreeti, to be precise :smallamused:

Snowfire
2012-09-19, 09:21 AM
And upon further examination of Operation:Obliterate Balance, I have discovered that the initial stage will require no more than 1,650 gp to acquire an appropriate scroll of Planar Ally. At which point...well.

Planar Ally to summon an Efreeti. Bargain for the creature's services for minute - more than enough time for the three wishes. Being a nonhazardous task for the Efreeti, this should cost at most 450 gp (although it may be ruled to be more or less if - as I believe they do - our purposes align with the Efreeti's in which case it may cost us nothing.

We then have three wishes to burn. Which can, if we so desire, be used to cast Planar Ally again. I think you see where I'm going here.

If this is allowed though, I do promise not to go utterly overboard. Wishes attract attention, so this would be a resource we would want to use only sparingly. No using them to give +5 inherent to all scores etc - unless you're willing to allow us to utterly break the ruleset into shards of screaming agony.

No more than three wishes a week say. That should be more than enough to fortify the Horn to the nines (more probably the elevens) as well as giving us the ability to...acquire...the necessary components for the ritual.

Also, I believe it was stated that we had a skeleton of a member of the cult. And we need their blood the start the ritual. This is fine. Give Ilvaria a day and she can grow back the flesh on the cultist's body through the wonders of Restore Corpse (https://sites.google.com/site/pathfinderogc/magic/all-spells/r/restore-corpse).

Maugan Ra
2012-09-19, 09:45 AM
While I admire, in an oddly twisted fashion, your attempts to drive me to enraged homicide, there are a few problems with this plan.

a) Planar Ally is a sixth level spell. There are no clerics inside a hundred mile radius capable of casting that, and thus no one to scribe the scroll in question. Thus, there are no scrolls of Planar Ally available on the open market.

b) On the black market, they're likely to cost considerably more than the defined example given. The Church of Mitra maintains what is almost a religious monopoly within Talingarde, and expressly forbids the summoning of non-Good outsiders for any purpose, keeping a heavy watch on all those who are capable of such things. Scrolls of the spell exist, but they are deeply unlikely to find their way to a frontier region like Farholde.

b) If there were such scrolls available, the genie is by no means going to offer it's services so lightly. The service charge to provide a trio of ninth level spells is going to be through the roof. 'Aligned with its ethos' does not mean 'an evil action'. It means something directly in support of the entities stated goals and ambitions. The Efreeti has no reason to support the actions of Asmodeans, servants of Vetra-Kali or even just a general evil scheme. It might even resent being called upon for such a minor task.

c) Even if all of this DOES work, and the genie willingly cooperates in exchange for payment... It's a genie. Your plan involves striking multiple deals with potentially several dozen different powerful, evil outsiders. Do you really want to make it that easy for me to ruin you?

Congratulations, though. Proposing a scheme which you had to know would irritate me with blatant rules lawyering and brokenness appears to have done exactly what you intended it to do.

Thattaman
2012-09-19, 09:51 AM
Umm, that plan has so many flaws, almost as many as what Kydrak would have come up with. How are we going to get an efreeti to help us? And he might just take the money, kill us and take the rest of our money,

Snowfire
2012-09-19, 10:00 AM
Snip

If I had any intention of actually trying this (which is made orders of magnitude more difficult by the fact that the deity you are requesting aid from chooses the outsider to be sent to you) I would only do it once.

I won't try to argue over points here, it would - I know - only make you more annoyed. This was meant more in jest than anything else - done in full knowledge that it likely would simply be denied as is GM privilege for things this utterly ridiculous.

I do, however, apologise for the annoyance caused. It was not intended to be serious. These things are more fun little side projects than anything else - and I will keep them away from here henceforth unless one comes up which isn't totally and irretrievably broken and/or requiring blind adherence to RAW (which is generally the same thing).

Maugan Ra
2012-09-19, 10:10 AM
Ah, it's fine. I've been job-hunting today, so I'm in a bad mood anyway.

To the IC thread, peons. You have scheming to do.

(Seriously, though, I recommend getting the ritual started soon. You have the cultist, the devout Mitran is almost hilariously easy to acquire, and over seven months to acquire Sir Victor. He's a hotheaded and devout man, if you can't find a way to make him come to you in that time, you're really not trying.

Whereas the longer you wait, the more chance there is that your enemies will find you. And you do have enemies, oh yes. Even if you don't know who they are yet...)

Snowfire
2012-09-19, 10:15 AM
Job hunting has that effect. You'll get there though.

Also, Sense Motive on Kydark to see if he's telling the truth about the "Prince of the Elven Kingdoms" bit. Mainly for personal giggles.

[roll0]

Maugan Ra
2012-09-19, 10:23 AM
He thinks he's telling the truth, you know that much. The sense of immense self-importance hanging around him doesn't even need a check to spot :smalltongue:

Snowfire
2012-09-19, 10:28 AM
He thinks he's telling the truth, you know that much. The sense of immense self-importance hanging around him doesn't even need a check to spot :smalltongue:

Oh good, I needed a target for Ilvaria's deflating comments :smallbiggrin:

Angstrom
2012-09-19, 11:45 AM
Halifax will use DarkSlateBlue and Buddy will use Magenta.

I'll be crafting wondrous items for anyone who needs them. There's a soul siphoning mechanic I'll be using for this to slightly reduce costs. I'm also for a quick burst of exploration and trapmaking. Headband of intelligence can provide 7 ranks in the appropriate craft skill to allow any of us to turn some of those outside stairwells into death-slides. For the forest, let's scout out our neighborhood and see if there are any features to take advantage of. A big scary forest is sure to have monsters we could use as pets or guards. Lastly, we should contact the 7th Knot about hiring an interior decorator. This place is dank and if we're going to be here for 7 months Hal's going to want some comfort and style. A map we could all edit would be great; does anyone have a way of making one?

I'm in support of doing some early raids for a couple reasons. The fortress with Sir Valin Darien would be my choice as well.
1. It'd be a good way for the new blood to demonstrate our skills.
2. Engaging on our terms seems like a better way of dealing with enemies than having them show up on our doorstep.
3. Captives. I like 'em. Creating undead workers for further fortifying the Horn, harvesting souls for cheaper crafting, and most of all interrogating them for information about the kind of Mitran reprisal we should expect.
4. Diversion. The sacked fortress would likely be the first place a challenger in the reason would go. With decent alarms or a simple watch we get to find out about who we're up against before we fight them. Heck, I could fill the place with weak undead and advertise it to locals as the primo mysterious adventure spot in Farholde instead of the Horn.
5. Loot. We have boggard's armed with stone spears. Raiding a garrison should be useful for improving that line of defense as well as the off chance of picking up some extra coin.
6. Hiding get's boring quickly, and I'm playing an impatient halfling.

At some point down the line I'm all for overturning the Baron. Looting his treasury, as well as the absent Duke's, when ours runs dry seems logical. When the s*** starts to hit the fan, why not?

Snowfire
2012-09-19, 12:23 PM
Ilvaria actually has ranks in Craft (Traps), so that headband could be very useful in boosting that to the point that I can pull off making them relatively easily.

Also, agreed on all points (except for the impatient hafling part).

Thattaman
2012-09-19, 02:28 PM
The reason Kydrak introduced himself as the prince and son of to you all is to see how the drow responded, an insult to the elves would have been nice.

Snowfire
2012-09-19, 02:59 PM
The reason Kydrak introduced himself as the prince and son of to you all is to see how the drow responded, an insult to the elves would have been nice.

Heh. Backstory.

Also, be aware that Ilvaria has constant effect Detect Magic from her racial feats and is examining just about everything with is as she walks.

Maugan Ra
2012-09-20, 12:41 AM
In which case, she's aware that the whole Horn is radiating magic, generally themed towards conjuration. And from the highest point, there is a field of abjuration magic of at least artifact level - it practically hurts your eyes.

Cloudsmeet
2012-09-21, 09:28 AM
Let me know if/when it's appropriate to start crafting the alchemist's fire/ice and I'll start.

Maugan Ra
2012-09-21, 09:40 AM
Well, you'll need supplies and tools to start doing any proper Alchemy. The stuff presently in the Horn is useless from years of abandonment and vandalism.

Thattaman
2012-09-22, 07:38 AM
Kydrak's willing to put in all his money and even kill the person who's brain is needed. Would it work with an elf brain? In fact, we could kill two birds with one spell by killing the alchemist, taking his stuff and his brain.

Comissar
2012-09-22, 08:04 AM
And then when we need more alchemical stuff? I don't think killing the alchemist is a smart move, we might need him later. Instead I say we just pay him as a normal customer and abduct somebody else.

Cloudsmeet
2012-09-22, 08:54 AM
Well... It depends on whether we want to be smart evil or stupid evil.

I guess our characters' intelligence scores speak for themselves though. It's not like we'll need the gold once we've taken over the world.

Snowfire
2012-09-22, 09:13 AM
Or perhaps subdue the Alchemist and lay him under a geas to work for us and not betray our interests. We'll pay him for his services of course. Simply see the geas as...insurance.

Also, due to being back at my lodgings right now - and without a laptop due to the hard drive on it imploding and it therefore being away getting repaired - I am relegated to the use of my Iphone. I will attempt to get a post up over the weekend. If not, expect one Monday evening when I get home again.

Comissar
2012-09-22, 10:01 AM
I just don't see sense in burning a perfectly serviceable bridge :smalltongue:

It's not as though Alchemist's Fire and Ice are particularly noteworthy items anyway, he'll have no reason to think we're up to anything nefarious.

Cloudsmeet
2012-09-22, 10:04 AM
It would be cheaper for me to make the Alchemist's Fire/Ice, I should be perfectly capable of doing so from the quick glance I took at the crafting rules and DCs.

Maugan Ra
2012-09-22, 11:42 AM
You'll still need a kit, which will require visiting the Alchemist (or sending someone else to do it). That said, if you want to do most of it yourself, the surrounding Caer Byr is absolutely thick with useful ingredients and the like. The material costs for just about any potion or alchemical compound you want to make can be found there, if you know what you're looking for.

Of course, the Caer Byr is also regarded as phenomenally dangerous, moreso the deeper you go in. Some caution may be called for, if you decide making it yourself is better than paying someone else.

Angstrom
2012-09-22, 12:46 PM
I already bought a masterwork alchemist's kit with my starting wealth which Hal can bring back from his hideout in Farholde next chance he gets. One of us can use an iron circlet to establish a cover as a ranger/hermit from Caer Byr who comes into town every so often to buy whatever reagents we can't easily find in the forest. No need to rouse suspicion.

Better still would be finding a ranger/hermit, taking his brain, and then assuming his identity.

Either way, I'm for exploring the Horn's surrounding area and getting the lay of the land as the first week's objective. Second week we steal a brain. Once we know what our neighborhood's like I can make that headband with the ranks for craft: trapmaking and mass-cast expeditious excavation to start pit-trapping animals for making undead guards. Also, it'd be worth spending a couple minutes identifying the magic items here.

Maugan Ra
2012-09-22, 02:33 PM
Ah, you did? Excellent. That'll work.

The surrounding environment is, basically, jungle. Jungle and mountains. With all the assorted nasty beasties a jungle in a fantasy setting is required to have. Most notably, there's a Treeman out there, name of Jurak the Elder. He's been tasked with guarding the Horn and making sure Evil never takes root there again. Quite possibly a potential problem.

Snowfire
2012-09-22, 02:51 PM
Treeman eh? What type of creature does that classify as?

Angstrom
2012-09-22, 02:56 PM
Don't we have a fireball hurling evoker on the roster? Sounds right up his alley.

Maugan Ra
2012-09-22, 03:05 PM
It's hard to tell without having seen it personally, but... Probably a plant.

Snowfire
2012-09-22, 04:03 PM
Excellent.

Maugan Ra
2012-09-24, 06:18 AM
*brandishes the pointy stick*

So. What are people doing, specifically? What do you want to get done before you start the ritual? Make a list, assign either you or your allies/minions to the tasks, and we can move onwards.

Snowfire
2012-09-24, 06:36 AM
Bad DM, no pointy stick for you!

*confiscates the pointy stick*

I will have Ilvaria's plans up this evening. Oh, and her suggestions for the rest of the party. Those are important too, aren't they...

Thattaman
2012-09-24, 09:50 AM
With Schtein gone, is anyone going to stop me from subjugating the boggard preist?

Cloudsmeet
2012-09-24, 10:22 AM
Kin has no need for petty minions, he has his fireballs to do all the work for him.
Trying to work out what he wants to do.

Angstrom
2012-09-24, 12:13 PM
Ten things to do. Not all need to be done before starting the ritual.

1. Meet with 7th Knot, and placing an order for a scroll of stone to flesh and everything else we might need. Hal doesn't trust the Asmodeans enough to let some group he doesn't know be responsible for his safety and would want to be present for this.
2. Establish living quarters in Horn.
3. Fix up the alchemy lab so Kin can repair the golem.
4. Interview the Boggard Priest. The frogs could make good scouts and would know the area well enough to help us locate alchemical reagents, dangers, and anything else that could be of interest. I would want to take some out hunting, possibly every day so Hal doesn't get bored. Hunting animals so Buddy can eat their souls only gets us a 25gp deduction on crafting so eventually harvesting some human souls from the fortress will be a requirement for both the 100gp reduction as well as speak w dead interrogations via Ring of the Cacodaemon. With a talisman of soul eating someone else can harvest souls as well. Any dead beasts that would make good servants would be animated.
5. Gather information in town about Sir Darien and the fortress he's in. Plan how to infiltrate it and capture as many as possible. Who has ranks in Bluff, Disguise, and Stealth?
6. Explore the area. Several castings of fly plus a few tours on a phantom steed should be plenty if we get the boggards working for us
7. Basic defences. Fixing the doors, walling off the holes in the fortifications. We have engineers right? We could consider using some illusions since the aura of the Horn is probably strong enough to mask it.
8. Decipher Nightmare summoning ritual. Hal wants a cool horse, mudmen and doggies less so.
9. Figure out what's up with that impaled minotaur and get those two suits of magic armour identified. We could exchange them with the 7th for resources since none of us wear armour. The minotaur can be animated as a labourer.
10. Start crafting items/undead. Hal and Victor are the only ones with Crafting feats beyond scroll right? The others can make a library of potentially useful spells that would be our failsafe for if we get attacked when we aren't ready. As for undead, the more the merrier since most of us can cast lesser animate dead. Hal would prefer to get soul gems out of them first though.

Items to make:
a) Custom item, skill boosting item of somewhere from +3-6 bonus to Spellcrafting. For Hal and Victor to share as needed when attempting high DC crafting checks.
b) Headband of Vast Intelligence w ranks in Craft Traps so Hal and Ilvaria can set up a new line of defences.
c) Ring of the Cacodaemon on Arcane Bond Item for speak w dead interrogations.
d) Everything else. We have a treasury full of money right? Let's have everyone ask for the one thing they want most and see if that works out to less than a quarter of our treasury. Then once those are made we do another round of crafting.

Razorstorm
2012-09-24, 12:14 PM
Victor can also craft the alchemical stuff. With two of us, that will go pretty fast.

I actually think that harvesting our stuff may be more prudent, and limit our exposure to the town.

Snowfire
2012-09-24, 12:42 PM
Could be, but it's also more dangerous. Say, work what we can from the surroundings and then use the Seventh Knot to acquire whatever we need from the town.

On that note, use them to do the gather information etc. We're assigned to the Horn, they're assigned to Farholde and to aid us. Let them earn their keep.

If we can, build multiple of the Spellcrafter items and the Headbands - although in Ilvaria's case I would like to request a Headband of Mental Prowess (Int/Wis) to help with her MAD issues, if we can afford it.

Once that's done, she'll be more than willing to get started on traps. Many, many traps. Including some more...useful ones for ourselves.

Cloudsmeet
2012-09-24, 02:25 PM
I should ask; how are we for sharing spells? Kin is willing, if the other person also shares their spells. If you want us to take time for us to do that, we should do that ASAP.

Thattaman
2012-09-24, 02:31 PM
Well for magic items a belt of physical perfection and a headband of mental superiority would be nice. But anything that improves abilities is good for me.

Snowfire
2012-09-24, 03:07 PM
Ilvaria will share...some...of her spells.

Oh, and if we have a petrified cultist that we're going to sacrifice, she will request several vials of his blood and prepare nothing but Blood Transcription that day :smallbiggrin:

Angstrom
2012-09-24, 05:02 PM
Hal will share spells since its not the spells you know that counts, its how you use them.

As for collecting from the forest being dangerous, I would expect any wizard worth his salt to be able to escape whenever needed. If you're going somewhere dangerous just prep fly, invisibility, and glitterdust and you're gone.

Before we can start making traps we need a map. For the immediate future Ilvaria could repair the pit trap and the engineers can fix doors.

So who's in charge of stone-to-fleshing that cultist? If no one has a handy method we'll need to talk to the 7th about getting a scroll or something.

Maugan Ra
2012-09-25, 03:31 AM
With Schtein gone, is anyone going to stop me from subjugating the boggard preist?

I don't believe anyone is going to stop you from trying, no.

I'll be putting up a map of the third floor of the Horn later today. With that, you can use the maps as references to tell me where you're putting up defenses, and what type you're intending to use.

Also, keep a list handy, because I can and will make you fall victim to your own traps if no-one remembers where they put them.

The Boggards can provide effectively free labour for trap making, though there are naturally limits, and Hexor and Vexor could help with their at-will Dimension Door abilities if you need to reach unusual places in a hurry. So long as you ask politely.

Maugan Ra
2012-09-25, 05:44 AM
And having realised that I hadn't even put up a map to the second level yet, here it is:

Horn of Abaddon, Level 2 (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AjoARjOK8Gp3dFhJMDZ3cENVQUZ1N09aMmhOUU1MW nc)

Things of note - The pit trap in the entry hallway is presently jammed open. It is activated/disabled (once fixed) by means of one of the murals on the walls, and drops individuals into the cage room on level 1.

The Master of the Acolyte's private chambers are the room that had the Oozes in, and a significant portion of the northern and western walls have collapsed outwards, exposing it to the Caer Byr.

The Temple of the Priests has columns in it, much like the room on the floor below. One of those is the hollow one which links the caves and the sanctum.

Maugan Ra
2012-09-25, 06:44 AM
Finally, the Third level:

Horn of Abaddon - Level 3 (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AjoARjOK8Gp3dEMtTm9LcHdmcDdQUGZ5Y1p6Q3NHT UE)

Important Notes:
The pit trap near the balcony entrance is not broken, and is in fact fully functional. It can be deactivated by depressing certain parts of the murals on each side of the pit, but this only temporarily disables it. It drops captives into the cage on the second level.
(All pit traps that do similar things can be modified if you wish. Suggested varients are with comfortable pads for live capture, spikes for lethality, and spikes with acid for sheer cruelty. If not otherwise specified, assume all traps drop you 50ft.)

The room with the stairwells to the caves and the Sanctum cannot be accessed from any room on the third level. Short of going straight through a wall, anyway.

Thattaman
2012-09-25, 09:48 AM
Hopefully this is a weak willed boggard preist.

Maugan Ra
2012-09-25, 10:12 AM
I'm just going to roll this dice unmodified. Keeping stats secret and all that.

[roll0]

Thattaman
2012-09-25, 10:54 AM
I'm just going to roll this dice unmodified. Keeping stats secret and all that.

[roll0]

Yay who's a boggard god now!

Maugan Ra
2012-09-25, 11:31 AM
Fun fact 1: The suggestion spell is quite limited in application, and in no way prevents a subject from subverting the instructions if they realize what is going on.

Fun fact 2: Zikomo is an oracle, and knows enough magic to recognize a compulsion when he falls under one. Especially one commanding him to give up his position as clan leader and acknowledge another individual 'as a god'.

Fun fact 3: Kydrak is now stuck in a cave with about sixteen angry Boggards between him and the stairs, or any reinforcements.

If Ilvaria understands Boggard, she heard all of that. If not, she's smart enough to work out what war cries in response to such a poorly worded magical compulsion likely mean. Her choice if she helps out or not.

Snowfire
2012-09-25, 11:35 AM
Ilvaria is watching from the stairs after casting Shield of Faith on herself.

Helping...that'll depend on if Kydark asks her.

Or if she decides he's pitiful enough to require her aid - at which point she'll likely treat him as a servant from that point on.

Also, that phone that's ringing right now? I called it. :smalltongue:

Thattaman
2012-09-25, 11:37 AM
So was that a good idea?

Angstrom
2012-09-25, 11:49 AM
Oh, sorry to IC post during your showdown. When I started the reply you had just 'succeeded' as establishing yourself as their new god.

Thattaman
2012-09-25, 11:50 AM
How did he recover so quickly? He only rolled a one. Surely my spell would have worked for at least an hour.

Edit: So a list of helpful people I've made try to kill me or would if they found out what I did:

Ezra, Boggards and the Baron. Isn't that every helpful person we've met? Wait, we still have Hexor and Vexor.

Maugan Ra
2012-09-25, 11:58 AM
How did he recover so quickly? He only rolled a one. Surely my spell would have worked for at least an hour.

Six hours to be precise. And for those six hours, Zikomo is bound to 'Follow your commands'. That is all. And you have not explicitly commanded him to not attack you, or not to stir up the Boggards in religious hatred of you, or insure himself against further orders by letting them know that you have enchanted him.

Thattaman
2012-09-25, 12:01 PM
Six hours to be precise. And for those six hours, Zikomo is bound to 'Follow your commands'. That is all. And you have not explicitly commanded him to not attack you, or not to stir up the Boggards in religious hatred of you, or insure himself against further orders by letting them know that you have enchanted him.

But I did command him to treaet me like a god, which means, not killing me, right?

Maugan Ra
2012-09-25, 12:07 PM
I refer you to Pirates of the Carribean. They're going to eat you alive, and thus release your divine essence from it's mortal bondage. Zikomo reckons that'd work, or that it at least has a sufficient possibility of working to justify the attempt.

A lesson for everyone, here - Be immensely careful when wording your commands, infernal deals and pacts for ultimate arcane power.

Snowfire
2012-09-25, 12:10 PM
So, question. Am I behind Kydark or behind the Boggards if I'm on the stair?

Maugan Ra
2012-09-25, 12:31 PM
There's a map of the cavern levels around somewhere...

Here (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/lv?key=0AjoARjOK8Gp3dG1QODFJcmNkZW9BZk5GTkFJWjVla2 c).

Kydrak has just emerged from the tunnel connecting the Boggard village with Zikomo's temple. Ilvaria will either be near the Maw, if she was exiting to go to another level, or to the right of the Mud Pit cave if she was intending to use the secret staircase to ascend to the Sanctum. Either way, the Boggards are between her and Kydrak.

Snowfire
2012-09-25, 12:40 PM
Ah, thank you.

So these sixteen Boggards....they're all within a 120' diameter sphere right?

Maugan Ra
2012-09-25, 01:12 PM
They would be, yes. There's only twelve Boggards plus Zikomo, though - the others are out hunting right now.

Snowfire
2012-09-25, 01:25 PM
Good, good. Ilvaria picks up a small rock - if she can find one in a cave /sarcasm

Comissar
2012-09-26, 08:57 AM
*Slow Clap*

Shall I make a listen check for Quint to see if he hears the fight breaking out?

Cloudsmeet
2012-09-26, 09:01 AM
I should probably do the same. In fact, just in case we should:

Perception: [roll0]

Since I didn't get in in time (I swear I posted something about joining the guys on their trip into town, but that doesn't seem to have gone through, oh well) I'll assume that Kin is brooding on one of the upper levels somewhere, perhaps planning his alchemy crafting/studying whichever spellbooks others are willing to share.

Comissar
2012-09-26, 09:18 AM
Perception - [roll0]

While I'm thinking about it, Quint's spell list each day will be as follows unless I specify otherwise:

Level 0 - Dancing Lights, Ghost Sound, Prestidigitation, Ray of Frost
Level 1 - Windy Escape x2, Colour Spray x1, Shield x1, Silent Image x1
Level 2 - Hypnotic Pattern x1, Minor Image x2, Mirror Image x1, Blur x1
Level 3 - Fly x2, Major Image x1, Invisibility Sphere x1

Thattaman
2012-09-26, 09:45 AM
So are you guys going to help me? Not that Kydrak needs it or anything.

Maugan Ra
2012-09-26, 09:49 AM
I'll say that Kin can just about make out the sounds of angry Boggards in the cavern levels below, echoing up through the floors and hollow pillar. Quint, though, hears nothing, and as discussed via PM, will be going off to obtain a brain for the Golem.

Snowfire
2012-09-26, 09:53 AM
Ilvaria has picked up a small rock and is following the action from 70' away from the nearest Boggard. She has numerous ways to help you, but very little in the ways of motivation to do so.

Maugan Ra
2012-09-26, 10:17 AM
The Boggards, at present, don't appear to have noticed Ilvaria. I'd appreciate it if you could put in an IC post establishing what she's doing exactly, though.

And it is presently Kydrak's turn - he needs to make a save, at least.

Cloudsmeet
2012-09-26, 10:42 AM
Ok, Kin's gonna rush downstairs ASAP, whether or not he knows that Kydrak is down there. I'm going to assume he knows that Kydrak was planning to deal with the boggards. I'll post something in the IC.

Also, on another note,I just remembered that Kin has Explosive Runes in his spellbook. Lots of castings of that could prove fun and useful. Of course, we'd key them to not hit targets of our choosing (perhaps a passphrase of sorts for less common guests while automatically not targeting ourselves?)

EDIT: The spell description for explosive runes states that the runes won't target the caster and any other creature the caster specifically instructs. Is this instruction part of the casting or can I, after the fact, instruct say, a visiting member if the seventh knot so they can pass safely? No pass phrases, unfortunately.

Thattaman
2012-09-26, 02:43 PM
OK, my general spell list, unless otherwise noted

1st:
Mage Armour
Magic Weapon x2
Expeditous Retreat
Magic Missile
+Mage Armour

2nd:
Extended Expeditous Retreat
Fire Breath
Fox's Cunning
Bear's Endurance
+Bull's Strength

3rd:
Fly
Beast Shape I
Fireball
+Haste

Maugan Ra
2012-09-26, 02:54 PM
Right. Kydrak is still alive, it seems, albeit surrounded by three Boggards and with seven more potentially nearby to help kill him.

Ilvaria and Kin can both see he's quite likely to die if no one intervenes. You're free to help if you want. You are, of course, equally free to let him die and then bargain with the hopefully-placated Boggards for his stuff.

Cloudsmeet
2012-09-26, 03:09 PM
Ok. I'm assuming that I'm within close range 25+5/2 levels from what I can see on the map, and that I'm relatively close to Ilvaria; that's how I'm going to post.

My currently prepared spells are the default noted on my sheet.

Maugan Ra
2012-09-27, 04:14 PM
I admit, I'm somewhat curious as to how saving Kydrak might be interpreted as a violation of the First or Second loyalty. You could maybe spin the First as being violated by the term 'serve me as a god', thus potentially seeking to overthrow the established order of Asmodeus being the god and no other, but that's somewhat tenuous.

Of course, this being an Asmodeus based game, bonus points are to be awarded to the person who best knows how to strangle their enemies with the rules...

Snowfire
2012-09-27, 04:20 PM
He-y'know what, I'll pm you.

Angstrom
2012-09-27, 10:43 PM
Holy postlength Batman! That may have been a bit much for one post. Razorstorm, I hope you're cool with all that.

Razorstorm
2012-09-27, 11:25 PM
Dude, I'm so distracted this week. Go right ahead!

But thank you for caring. :smile:

Thattaman
2012-09-28, 01:28 AM
He didn't call himself a god but a messanger from god. Which we kind of are.

Snowfire
2012-09-28, 07:22 AM
Kn: Religion for info on Boggard worship etc: [roll0]

Maugan Ra
2012-09-28, 08:49 AM
Based on that roll, and having seen the tattoos and fetishes that Zikomo is adorned with, Ilvaria realises that these Boggards worship Dagon, who they know as Father. For further details, see the Cthulhu mythos...

Also, congratulations. I don't think it's possible to have insulted and offended Elise Zandira more, short of literally driving her to murderous rage. :smalltongue:

Cloudsmeet
2012-09-28, 08:51 AM
This party seems to have a habit of upsetting our allies. Perhaps I should be the party diplomat :smallbiggrin:

Thattaman
2012-09-28, 11:33 AM
Well now I have peed off the fourth and fifth most powerful allies, and someone else has done the same to our most powerful. Now all we need is the baron and Hexor and Vexor to turn on us and we have all five.

Cloudsmeet
2012-09-28, 11:41 AM
Not to mention you've also pissed me off, in-character :smalltongue:

Snowfire
2012-09-28, 11:44 AM
And Ilvaria. Don't forget the borderline psychotic drow theurge :smallbiggrin:

Maugan Ra
2012-09-28, 11:54 AM
Forum is being a bit odd. There's a new reply up, Elise's return to your statement about Asmodean arrogance.

In this case, the basis of the reply is.. She's not an Asmodean. :smalltongue:

Cloudsmeet
2012-09-28, 11:55 AM
Well, I wasn't 100% sure whether it was the current situation or simply the fact that he was an elf that inspired Ilvaria's reactions.

Snowfire
2012-09-28, 11:58 AM
Nah, Ilvaria has a sort of amused conceit towards elves. Idiocy on this scale however...only the bastard offspring of a human and an elf could screw up this badly /drow arrogance

Angstrom
2012-09-28, 12:24 PM
Any opportunity to use a Darth Vader line is a good opportunity to use a Darth Vader line.

As for upsetting the witch, we're evil therefore making enemies should come naturally. Admitting that she doesn't share our goals is kind of a big deal. Hal is a bit too unstable and paranoid after spending a year in the Farholde orphanage to trust people. Daemons and wraiths however, totally trustworthy.

Cloudsmeet
2012-09-28, 01:09 PM
You're confusing evil with stupid, there. Smart evil binds his allies to him, whether through friendship, exorbitant gifts or other means; force only if necessary. We want a secure power base, and since we aren't yet at the level that we can't blast the rest of the map... Ahem... Off the map, then we need to make friends, and good ones.

Maugan Ra
2012-09-28, 01:50 PM
Just to clarify... Baron Arkov Vandermir owns and runs the Farholde Orphanage.

Angstrom
2012-09-28, 04:43 PM
Just to clarify... Baron Arkov Vandermir owns and runs the Farholde Orphanage.

Yeah, that was in the backstory. Hal disguised himself as a child to hide in Farholde. He can still deal politely with the Baron, and doesn't blame him personally for anything that happened. It was the hiding and only having Buddy to talk to that made him lose it. A year of paranoia that Father Harkon would find him has taken a toll on his ability to maintain the polite facade he normally employs.

I feel like blind trust lies on the stupid end of the spectrum. A character with a history of paranoia, insomnia, and general mental health problems isn't about to take an evil witch's word at face value. I don't mean intentionally making enemies should be habitual, I just mean it should be easy. Evil isn't one big happy family. The characters probably won't ever like one another, they just need their individual motivations to overlap for a common purpose.

Comissar
2012-09-29, 09:44 AM
Well, two people? I'm thinking I just take the son and leave the parents without one of their children. Should have a greater impact than the other way around. :smallamused:

Cloudsmeet
2012-09-29, 09:52 AM
How do you explain to the father that you don't want him to come along :P

Unless you want him to see his son be taken and can deal with him somehow.

Comissar
2012-09-29, 09:54 AM
You seem to be assuming they're going to be getting any choice in the matter, the handy thing about being a wizard is Colour Spray.

Cloudsmeet
2012-09-29, 09:58 AM
That's where the 'deal with him' bit came in.

But I agree, it's better to take the children so that it's harder for family members to grow up and seek revenge :smalltongue:

Comissar
2012-09-29, 09:59 AM
They can seek their revenge on rich looking women if they like, I'm not overly concerned. :smallwink:

Cloudsmeet
2012-09-29, 10:01 AM
But surely you're going to reveal yourself and gloat over their helplessness to defend themselves?

Comissar
2012-09-29, 10:05 AM
Not Quint's style, the knowledge that they're going to be so distraught is enough, regardless of the when. After all, Quint is the kind of person who will rip a page from the middle of a library book then put it back. He doesn't need to hang around and wait for somebody to have their story spoiled in front of him.

Maugan Ra
2012-09-29, 10:25 AM
Well, I'm glad to know that you're all such vicious bastards :smalltongue:

And yes, making enemies is easy when you're evil. And there is no way any of this will come back to bite you. Nope.

Cloudsmeet
2012-09-29, 10:31 AM
Oh, I'm sure I'll just be able to go over to Elise and smooth things over like I will with whatshisface the boggard.

Maugan Ra
2012-09-29, 07:59 PM
Oh, I'm sure I'll just be able to go over to Elise and smooth things over like I will with whatshisface the boggard.

Depends on whether the Baron shoots Hal in the face here. He is a nobleman, after all, and is remarkably reluctant to tolerate disrespect or implied threats in his own household.

(Also - Sure, a gun is probably less effective in terms of raw damage than a spell... But it's much easier to make threats with a gun.)

Cloudsmeet
2012-09-29, 08:06 PM
In theory, if I was actually Kin I'd probably say that it might be better (for Kin, at least) for Hal to die here, even though I think he (Kin) likes him as an ally. That way, the baron has his insult avenged, and one of us can go apologise and make amends, and to be honest he didn't know Hal for very long so no great loss there. If course, OOC I don't want him to die because I quite like Hal as a character, and of course I don't want another PC to die.

Snowfire
2012-09-29, 08:07 PM
Depends on whether the Baron shoots Hal in the face here. He is a nobleman, after all, and is remarkably reluctant to tolerate disrespect or implied threats in his own household.

(Also - Sure, a gun is probably less effective in terms of raw damage than a spell... But it's much easier to make threats with a gun.)

Arguable, but I see where you're coming from.

Something like Call Lightning/Stormrage and others in that vein can be very impressive threats. The only way a gun wins out over them is through not requiring a spell slot to activate.

Or hell, Divine Presence (http://dndtools.eu/spells/complete-champion--57/divine-presence--620/). Yeah, yeah, it's 3.5 material. But you cannot deny that it's awesome.

Angstrom
2012-09-29, 09:46 PM
I quite like Hal as a character, and of course I don't want Noanother PC to die.

I appreciate the concern. Halifax has realized that calling the witch's bluff got him in over his head. However, he's convinced that the witch is overdoing how offended she is to try and cover for herself. The refusal to share any information about her operations in Farholde is too suspicious to ignore. As for the Baron, he was quite happy to trade threats with the PCs at their first meeting.

Kin and the others should still be able to go into Farholde and meet with Elise. The easy excuse is that Hal's a new addition and an unexpected loose-cannon. I can't imagine Elise quitting her job because someone played mind games with her, she doesn't seem that fragile.

Thattaman
2012-09-30, 03:53 AM
To stop him just use the same thing we used to get him on our side. Tell him that if he kills Hal, well then Thorn will kill him. He seemed terrified of Thorn before so that should work.

Cloudsmeet
2012-09-30, 10:14 AM
Oooh, nice Razerstorm. If she isn't against us for good that might actually work.

EDIT: Or at least it might help.

Razorstorm
2012-09-30, 10:50 AM
Yeah, here's hoping. Too bad my dice roll totally sucked...

I'm curious just how much Elise has the Baron wrapped around her finger. Is he charmed, or just being lead by his second brain?

I'll second the motion that guns make for excellent threatenings. The action of pulling back that hammer for dramatic accent - GOLD! Elan would definitely approve! I really wish I cold justify Quick Draw as a feat, not so much for the combat purposes but for the "OMG, there's a gun in my face!" effect.

Oh, and BTW - Victor is totally bluffing here. He's not at all a leader. He really doesn't want Hal to get his head blown off, and he doesn't want a magical brawl here in town.

However, he IS mildly jealous that he's not the one sleeping with Elise. That bastard Baron!

Comissar
2012-10-01, 05:38 AM
I'm working on the assumption that the coup de grace and the invisibility sphere will all occur quickly enough that the parent won't be sufficiently recovered in time to see it happen.

Thattaman
2012-10-01, 09:53 AM
I don't know whether Asmodeous sent that as a punsihment or a congratualtions, but Kydrak will consider to be the latter.

Cloudsmeet
2012-10-01, 05:08 PM
As soon as you get back, Victor, I think we should get together a party to deal with the Treant in that case.

Kin hereby volunteers.

Angstrom
2012-10-01, 06:07 PM
Since Hal's back with the Alchemy Kit someone can start on that while Hal begins crafting Bracers of Spellcraft +4 using 800gp from the treasury. It'll take 8 hours, but I assume he makes it back with enough time to craft them that evening.

Spellcraft (w adaptable luck): [roll0]

Maugan Ra
2012-10-01, 06:24 PM
With a roll like that, you easily create the Bracers. The relevant funds have been deducted from the party fund, which I shall total up shortly and add to the first post.

Maugan Ra
2012-10-01, 09:03 PM
Congratulations! You have successfully revived the Alchemical Golem, Artephius! Everyone may collect 1,080 experience for obtaining your first minion that is actually, legitimately loyal! Well, in its own way.

And here are it's stats, so you can factor it into your own combat calculations:

N Large Construct
Initiative +4 Senses: Darkvision 60ft, Low-Light vision. Perception +0

Defense
AC 23 (+10 natural, +4 armour, -1 size)
Hit points: 96
Saves: Fortitude +4, Reflex +8, Will +4
Damage Reduction: 10/Adamantine or Bludgeoning
Immunities: Construct Traits, Magic

Offense
Speed: 30ft
Melee: 2 Slams +19 (2d8+8 plus alchemy)
Ranged: Bomb +15 (8d6 energy damage)
Space: 10ft Range: 10ft

Statistics
Strength 27, Dexterity 18, Constitution -, Intelligence -, Wisdom 11, Charisma 1
Base Attack: +12, CMB: 21, CMD35

Special Abilities
Alchemy: When the golem strikes a foe, there is an additional random effect. It might cause an extra d6 fire, cold, electricity or acid damage, it might cause the target to be sickened for d4 rounds, or it might make the target entangled for d4 rounds.

Bombs: As a standard action, the golem may throw a bomb at any target within 60ft, requiring a ranged touch attack to hit. If it misses, treat it as a thrown splash attack. If it hits, the target takes 8d6 damage of a random type (either Fire, Cold, Acid or Elecricity). Targets within 5ft of the impact point take d6 damage of the same type.

Immunity to Magic: Artephius is completely immune to any spell or spell-like ability that can be subject to Spell Resistance. The one exception is sonic spells, which damage the golem as though it were a crystalline creature.

Snowfire
2012-10-01, 09:17 PM
Hmmm....you know I have this utterly horrible idea. It would cost a bundle...but it could make things rather amusing when it gets to the adventurer assaults.

Give the golem an Amulet of Silence. We now have a robot-ninja.