PDA

View Full Version : WotW: Call forth Darkness OOC

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Maugan Ra
2012-10-01, 09:28 PM
Well, one of the pre-written adventuring parties is basically a group of pirates. They even have a ship.

Not sure if I'll use them, though, or replace them with a different group of my own devising.

Snowfire
2012-10-01, 09:43 PM
Soo...looking at things, I am forced to ask about xp.

For myself and the other newbies, is the first xp we gain (from a base of 27,000) or do we have additional from any such...other things...that we might have gotten up to before this. I ask mainly because I don't know where the group started in terms of xp for this part of the adventure path. As if they started at level 6 starting xp (27,000), they're level 7 as of...a while back.

Or I'm getting totally mixed up by my own tiredness.

Maugan Ra
2012-10-01, 09:48 PM
They started at level 5. And placing everyone on a scale is being awkward. Personally, I know you're meant to be level 7 when the ritual begins, so that's what I'm aiming for.

By the time the ritual ends, you should be 10th level. This should give you a decent idea of the sort of things that are going to try and stop you from completing the ritual. As a word of warning, not all of them are entirely within the bounds of recommended challenge ratings. And they will all be legitimately trying to kill you.

Cloudsmeet
2012-10-01, 10:30 PM
Assume I'm starting on the alchemical fire. When I'm done today I'll get home, work out exactly what I need to roll etc. and make a post.

EDIT: Unless that was for the Golem, I just realised I think that was the whole reason for it.

EDIT: Also, I think I'll turn up to meet Ezra as well, not having had much chance to interact with him.

Angstrom
2012-10-01, 10:42 PM
As a word of warning, not all of them are entirely within the bounds of recommended challenge ratings. And they will all be legitimately trying to kill you.

That makes sense considering we have an entire fortress that we will become intimately familiar with to aid us. If we find we're having trouble we can always go walk around in the tall grass of Caer Byr to grind some levels. Somewhat related, what's the word on Boggard funerals? Do we have some zombies to animate?

I hope no one minds Hal wanting to be present when the group next meets Ezra. His track record isn't great but he's very curious about the wraith's past. The daemons too, but they're probably safer since they already seem ok with him.

Lastly I suppose Hal should set up a daily routine of work to improve the fortress. He'll spend 8hrs a day crafting items and suggest others spend time scribing scrolls and upgrading spellbooks as well. He will offer his spellbook to any who wish to learn from it on the condition that they also share their spells with him. The rest of the time he doesn't spend sleeping will include daily hunts in the forest on phantom steeds. He uses Buddy and Limp Lash to catch and slaughter any animals he finds. If there is trouble he can't handle he casts fly and invisibility to escape back to the Horn. He puts in hours in the alchemy lab and participates in the planning of traps once he finishes his next item. He also animates the Minotaur corpse and has it assigned to the hallway outside his personal chambers unless its presence is requested elsewhere. He avoids the Boggard caves unless he has business there. Also, Hal sets up a sort of message board with timetables for letting others know his actions in the common room on level two which he keeps current with arcane mark or chalk. He suggests a bracelet of (evil) friends (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/wondrous-items/wondrous-items/a-b/bracelet-of-friends) for use by whoever is on guard at the time as well.

However you want to DM random encounters in Caer Byr is fine with me. Routine exploration of the forest, maintaining food stores, and weekly stuff like that can be done in whatever format you want.

Cloudsmeet
2012-10-01, 10:51 PM
Kin is more than happy to share spellbooks with Hal.

For Angstrom and Maugan Ra only:
Kin keys you in to the Explosive Runes cast on each page.

For Maugan Ra only:
Once Hal (and anyone else who is happy to share spellbooks) is done he will, at the rate of one a day, recast Explosive Runes on each page with himself and his familiar as the only readers.

For preparations, Kin will twice a day drop an Explosive Rune somewhere in the fortress. If possible, we'll decide exactly where we've done it when we settle on a specific plan for defense.

He'll scribe scrolls, too. I'll work out how many and which ones later, when I've worked out who I've shared spellbooks with and how many I can do. He'll craft alchemy on request.

Angstrom
2012-10-01, 11:10 PM
Here is Hal's sheet (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=446313) for you to copy spells from since I'm not sure I posted it outside of the recruitment thread. Not sure how much use he'll be able to get from an evoker though since that's a banned school.

For the defences, my vote goes to prioritizing fortifications starting at the sanctum and working downwards leaving the first level and the boggard caves for last. We should erase the chair instructions if abandon the first level and use the golem and minotaur zombie to not just wall off the hole on the second level but fill that room and the adjacent rooms with rubble. 20ft of stone is a lot more challenging than 2ft if someone tries to use that way in. If Quint can use scrolls of permanency to hide the sanctum and third level entrances behind illusions we can funnel most enemies to the easily defended/empty lower levels where Ilvaria and Hal can set up undead sentries and traps to engage them.

Question for Ilvaria, would you like your headband to give ranks to craft poisonmaking? I see our traps, and Kydrak, quite benefitting from Drow expertise.

Cloudsmeet
2012-10-01, 11:39 PM
If you didn't see it at the bottom of my character sheet, here is the link to my spellbook (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1jl37Kl9ULrvjQwg0uOIWmL3QT0RF3rbUT84XqDn0cnA/edit).

And yes, I think I may have gotten the better deal there, especially since I didn't buy many extra spells in the first place.

Comissar
2012-10-02, 04:21 AM
Permenancy is both a level 5 spell and unusuable on the various image spells unfortunately. Quint could keep up an illusion over the main entrance permenantly but that would literally be all he did during the day, I imagine there are probably more productive things that could be done. Not a bad idea though.

Angstrom
2012-10-02, 01:20 PM
Scrolls of high level spells probably aren't easy to come by in Talingarde. Still though, having Quint throw a illusory floor over one of our pit traps would be nice.

Have we decided what we did with your hostage besides remove his brain? If Buddy can devour his soul and still have the brain work for the golem great, but if not then Hal would like Quint to help him capture the rest of the family for creating undead servants.

Maugan Ra
2012-10-02, 01:43 PM
No particular need for slaughtering random civilians for zombie parts. If you look in the caves, you'll see an area marked 'bone pit'. That area contains the bodies of roughly a hundred humanoid skeletons, easily fit for re animating.

That said, how are you intending to reanimate the Minotaur? Create Undead is a 4th level spell, and you are all 6th level. You don't have access to that yet, unless I'm missing something.

Snowfire
2012-10-02, 02:16 PM
Well, it's only a third level spell for Ilvaria. But she needs two more levels before she can access those through Mystic Theurge.

That aside however, if she can get away with it, she's going to...acquire...altars to Mitra and cast Desecrate over them - using the secondary method of the spell to cut off Mitra's divine connection throughout the Horn.

Maugan Ra
2012-10-02, 02:37 PM
Well, I have to ask why you'd do that. Mitra has no special connection to the Horn, beyond empowering the Silver Seal that is keeping Vetra-Kali away. Desecrating his altars won't do a damn thing, even if you could somehow locate and transport a bunch of them to the Horn. Cutting off a deity's connection to an area just means Mitra would only be able to act through his Clerics in the Horn, which is all he can do anyway.

Anyway, as Ezra has said... Beginning the ritual shrouds the entire Horn in a Desecrate effect anyway. It has other effects as well, but that's the only one the Wraith knows about.

Snowfire
2012-10-02, 02:46 PM
Cutting off a deity's connection to an area just means Mitra would only be able to act through his Clerics in the Horn, which is all he can do anyway.

That depends on how you interpret cutting off a diety's connection to an area. Because in some cases, that's taken as meaning that clerics of their deity can't cast within those areas. However, if that's not the case, I'll forgo that particular piece of defensive enhancement.

Also, I am somewhat up in the air over allowing Ezra to slaughter the Boggards. Mainly because, whilst it might help us, it will also give him a group of rather powerful servants. I'm not sure we want to do that...

Thattaman
2012-10-02, 02:51 PM
Also, I am somewhat up in the air over allowing Ezra to slaughter the Boggards. Mainly because, whilst it might help us, it will also give him a group of rather powerful servants. I'm not sure we want to do that...

Both me and Kydrak don't like him. With that many servants, he could easily kill us whenever he wants and all though Kydrak hates the Boggards, he will not give a more poweful enemy loads of minions.

Maugan Ra
2012-10-02, 03:04 PM
Well, since cutting off all divine casting of a particular god in an area is massively overpowered for a 2nd level spell, I'll say it doesn't work like that.

And if you object to the Wraith's proposed plan, please raise your objections in character.

Beyond that, you now have a potential way to capture the final sacrifice in a little over a month. I'd highly encourage you to deal with the tree-man (to prevent other possible problems later) rapidly, and then start the ritual. Then we can move onto these week-by-week basis things which you're plotting for the defenses. Just to keep everything moving at a decent clip.

Razorstorm
2012-10-02, 10:31 PM
Is it okay to hand-wave the rest of the conversation with the Baron and Elise, now that cooperation has been restored? Or do you want me to keep going? I feel like time is passing on.

Assume we make plans for how to capture Darian, and maybe inquire about any estate sales where we could subtly pickup some creature comforts for the Horn. Oh... and a chef. We need a chef...

Maugan Ra
2012-10-02, 10:34 PM
*waves hand in dramatic fashion*

And so was it done. Now seriously, someone raise an objection to Ezra if you're going to lest I have him decide it's cool and butcher everyone for his invincible ghost army.

Razorstorm
2012-10-02, 10:36 PM
Please do, someone. Victor really hates ghosts!

Angstrom
2012-10-03, 01:26 AM
Hope that is to everyones satisfaction, I didn't want to just say no to a powerful wraith. Hal is actually of the opinion that Ezra should slaughter the boggards. What need do we have for boggards that hate one of us if we can get wraiths that hate one of us.

I would like to second the motion to procure a chef for the Horn.

Cloudsmeet
2012-10-03, 01:28 AM
I third the motion.

But I'm against Ezra eating the boggards. The boggards are my friends.

Comissar
2012-10-03, 02:18 AM
Quint could try and cook, I can see no possible way it could ever go wrong. Especially not involving exploding soup.

Cloudsmeet
2012-10-06, 05:43 AM
For those who use email notification, the forums are back up at the moment.

Thattaman
2012-10-06, 08:28 AM
Kydrak would have objected but seen as most people don't like his decisions, he kept quiet.

Maugan Ra
2012-10-06, 06:00 PM
Kydrak just attempted a staring contest with the Wraith. You know, the creature that has no eyelids. Fun.

That said, I must have missed the stone-to-flesh scroll request. The Knot Hibernal would have helped you procure one while in town, no problem. I'll deduct it from your funds, which I swear I'll get around to totaling up at some point.

So. Going treeman-hunting, then?

Cloudsmeet
2012-10-06, 08:14 PM
Ok, Kin's up for that. He's getting bored of warding the place and has been itching to set something alight. The problem with being an evil blaster (not just pyromaniac) that isn't chaotic stupid is you can't just destroy everything in sight.

Snowfire
2012-10-06, 09:27 PM
Treeman hunting sounds good. If we can though, try and keep the body intact. I have some ideas...

Angstrom
2012-10-06, 10:32 PM
If we want to capture the tree it should be easy. Enough debuffs will let us capture him without having to inflict a single point of damage by dropping his dex to 1.

Just hit him with two rays of exhaustion to make sure he takes the -6 to dex. I believe pyrotechnics inflicts a dex penalty as well and if someone wants to get close enough to use touch of clumsiness that'd help. We'd want to use a few limp lashes right before the pyrotechnic smoke went up so we can drop his dex the rest of the way while he's stuck in the smoke and trying to break the lashes.

Thoughts? I know necromancy is a common banned school so that would sideline some of us for this fight. If Kin ever needs to justify destroying stuff, a decoy forest fire would be a nice way to delay enemies if we're not prepared to fight.

Cloudsmeet
2012-10-06, 10:35 PM
But... but... I wanna destroy stuff :smallfrown:

This treeman better have some expendable allies all for me, dammit.

Thattaman
2012-10-07, 02:28 AM
Kydrak probably isn't best suited to killing trees but we have a flamethrower on our team which should be fun.

Comissar
2012-10-07, 05:52 AM
So, what, we're lumberjacks (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mL7n5mEmXJo) for hire? Sure, why not, Quint can get us up close to it before it knows we're there

Cloudsmeet
2012-10-07, 06:13 PM
Perhaps a little fire would get his attention. Once we're a fair way away from the horn, at least.

Maugan Ra
2012-10-07, 07:27 PM
So there's a fun trick. Treants can animate other trees to fight on their side. You didn't get a perception check to spot this one because it's been animated for a while, and until this moment it was content to just keep on being a tree.

Jurak knows you're in the Horn. He saw Hal ride back there on a horse made of shadows, and has been keeping a careful eye on the place ever since.

*looks around at the rainforest surrounding your base and, indeed, party*

Say, there are a lot of trees there, aren't there? :smallamused:

For now, though, your turn. Group initiative, you have line of sight on two animated trees, and an ungodly amount of presently inactive ones. Jurak himself is nowhere to be seen.

Cloudsmeet
2012-10-07, 07:43 PM
Welp.

I got his attention.

Also, I totally forgot to cast Mage Armor on myself before we left. Bummer. Still hits me even if I had cast it (I assume I haven't since I didn't mention it and can't do it retroactively).

31/43 hp

Init: [roll0]

Maugan Ra
2012-10-07, 08:01 PM
Sorry, by 'group initiative', I mean it's your turn now. All of you. I find trying to stick to a person-by-person initiative in PbP games just slows the whole thing to a crawl, so I do it by groups and units.

Go, post your actions. They shall be resolved in the order they are posted, and if anyone hasn't posted within... say 24 hours of this post, they miss their turn and we go to the enemy turn.

I much prefer to keep combat in my games as short, brutal affairs which might possibly end up with you dead.

Snowfire
2012-10-08, 09:27 AM
So on the fly issue, you lot are aware that I don't actually have access to 3rd level spells yet.

Wizard 3/Cleric 3. I don't get 3rd level spells until I take two levels of Mystic Theurge.

This could be interesting then. Although I do have levitate at will - so that may help a bit.

Comissar
2012-10-08, 09:32 AM
You levitate to negate weight, we toss you high? Quint hangs close to feather fall you if you need it or something. Regardless, I don't think flying away immediately is the solution here.

Snowfire
2012-10-08, 09:37 AM
I have feather fall at will as well. Drow Noble powers - whilst expensive in Feat use - rock.

Also, crit success on Perception check to try and locate Jurak.

Thattaman
2012-10-08, 10:11 AM
If anyone needs extra buffing them come to Kydrak. Transmutation magic basically just makes you temporarily better at everything, so he will use them on people if needed. Also, I think we should all decide as a group what spells we have a day, so that we can be as well rounded as a group of all the same class can be.

I've decided my character-Kydrak-is going to end up being like Karzoug out of RotRL with all those Ioun stones on his face and stuff, but with a flaming longsword intsead of a glaive.

Maugan Ra
2012-10-08, 09:23 PM
And... Yay for special attacks. In this case, the fact that an angry tree has more offensive options than simply hitting you. Namely, stepping on you.

Purely as a friendly piece of advice... If you can fly, or otherwise get out of reach, do so sharpish. Because trample can be used each and every round. Also, you can technically make an attack of opportunity against Jurak here, at a -4 penalty, but you forfeit your attempts at a reflex save to avoid some of the damage.

And with that, it's the party's turn again.

Maugan Ra
2012-10-08, 09:48 PM
Also, artwork can be found here. (http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?605932-Fire-Mountain-Games-Way-of-the-Wicked-Adventure-Path)

From top to bottom:
1) Mithril Cobras, an enemy from the first book which might show up later on if I can find a way to reasonably inflict them on you.

2) The Cardinal Adrastus Thorn, your lord and Patron. Trustworthy looking chap, isn't he?

3) The Horn of Abaddon, your home sweet home for the next seven months.

4) Tiadora, who is in no way anything other than a positively wonderful woman with your best interests at heart.

5) Zikomo the Boggard Shaman, who actively wishes to eat Kydrak at the moment. But then, who doesn't?

6) Lord Thomas Haverlyn, commander of Balentyne. Sadly deceased.

Cloudsmeet
2012-10-08, 10:13 PM
Phew, looks like I posted just in time. I was an hour past your deadline :D
Unless, of course, you waited for me.

Tactics-wise... Kin is going to be out of action this turn as he's got to cast Fly to get himself out of reach. Vanish only lasts a short while (either 1 or 1/level max 5, I can't remember which.

But after that, things will get amusingly fiery.

Angstrom
2012-10-08, 11:31 PM
Ouch, he made his saves. The snapdragons are kind of all or nothing like that, but I figured why not try and prevent another one of those tramples. Their redeeming quality is that you can expect another one every round for 5 more rounds in addition to Hal's other spells.

Something tells me this party has enough firepower to get the job done. (The bad oneliners will have to start in the OOC since my character won't be making those jokes)

Maugan Ra
2012-10-08, 11:38 PM
He made his save, singular. Plants are immune to mind-affecting magic like confusion.

They're also immune to being Stunned, but not as-written being Dazed, which is an interesting set of immunities. I'm not sure whether to apply stun immunity to the lesser condition as well... Stunning is, basically, the same but worse compared to Dazing, so it makes some sort of sense for the immunity to extend like that, but I'm not too sure about diverging from RAW like this. You are wizards, after all, and I appreciate applying status effects to enemies can very well be a big part of your capabilities.

He's not immune to being dazzled, naturally, since he does still have eyes.

Angstrom
2012-10-09, 12:54 AM
This character is not built to do direct damage, so yeah, removing the versatility of his favourite spell would be a hit. A fair number of things are immune to stun but almost none are immune to daze. In past games/editions I haven't treated daze as a lesser stun but I see where you're coming from. Your call.

Comissar
2012-10-09, 02:31 AM
Assuming Jurak interacts with the "wall", his DC to disbelieve is 16.

Snowfire
2012-10-09, 09:41 AM
And, having taken 34 damage, Ilvaira is now dead.

I would ask how exactly Jurak struck through the wall without a save, but I doubt it matters.

Maugan Ra
2012-10-09, 09:58 AM
Hmm. Fair call on the wall, I suppose, if you were timing it so that Ilvaria looked to be stepping behind it as it rose from the ground. OK, will save being rolled here - if it passes the DC 16, then Ilvaria takes the hit. If he fails, then the hit is negated.

[roll0]

Maugan Ra
2012-10-09, 10:00 AM
And... Ouch.

For future reference, people need to specify if they're bringing minions along. Hexor and Vexor would need to be persuaded to leave the Horn (and at least one of them would remain behind regardless, in accordance with their bonds), and Ezra is incapable of doing so most nights. That still leaves the boggards and the Golem.

Exactly how far from death is Ilvaria? How far into negative hit points?

Snowfire
2012-10-09, 10:16 AM
She's gone.

HP of 23. Con score of 10.

Dead. Totally.

Maugan Ra
2012-10-09, 10:34 AM
Well... Damn. Not a huge amount else I can say really. Low hit points are always going to be a danger when you're a wizard, even more so when you're aiming for a build that reduces your allowance of stronger spells at higher levels.

Also, have decided that being immune to stun does not make you immune to dazing. For future reference.

Snowfire
2012-10-09, 10:42 AM
Hmm...well there is another possibility. It's a long shot - a big one - but it could work. I'll shoot you a pm about it later on.

Comissar
2012-10-09, 12:48 PM
Quint really wasn't prepared for this fight, I'm trying to think of a way to use illusions to turn this around but I don't think I can threaten him into submission here.

Maugan Ra
2012-10-09, 12:57 PM
Fortunately, I checked the rules, and Minor Image creates a figment. Which is not defined as being a mental effect, so the animated trees were fooled by it.

That said, yeah, being caught in a fight you're not really prepared for is problematic for a wizard. There's always the option of retreating and gathering support/changing spells. All it will do is give Jurak time... and it's not like he might have allies on the way or anything :smallamused:

Thattaman
2012-10-09, 03:34 PM
We seem to have a little habit of killing off people Kydrak gets irritated by. Schtein used to continuously annoy Kydrak and Ilvaira didn't help him with the Boggards. I don't know why it's that pattern. Nothing to do with me. :smallamused:

Angstrom
2012-10-09, 04:00 PM
That was fast. Hal felt a certain attachment to the Drow since she was also an outsider in this world. This fiasco will add evidence to his theory that Asmodeans aren't nearly as professional as they think they are.

Now here's hoping Kin is planning on using a fireball...

Comissar
2012-10-09, 05:19 PM
Sorry to see the Drow downed so fast, I don't think Quint really had a chance to get to know her. Ah well, c'est la vie.

Cloudsmeet
2012-10-09, 08:26 PM
Damn. I also liked the drow. Hopefully there's a way to save her.

But now Kin is faced with a dilemma: should he spend two rounds unleashing his DPR through flaming sphere and fire sneeze which would amount to about 5d6 extra damage a round for 5-6 rounds? Or just go straight out with a fireball?

I guess any of those spells is enough to trigger Hal's fireworks.

Maugan Ra
2012-10-10, 06:48 PM
I am using this fight as a good guideline for me to help tweak later encounters. If nothing else, I was already resolved to maybe dial back the sheer number of foes with Spell Resistance that turn up (mostly in book 3, it is true, but a few arrive later in this mission. One in particular.)

Unless Snowfire has a decent idea in a PM for this longshot plan, I have a couple of ways to keep folks alive if you win the fight. Not to say death isn't a significant danger and setback, because it always will be, but the lack of easy healing and your relative fragility does have to be balanced out somehow.

Mostly it involves deals with various different beings of planes in the ventral position, to quote a certain other Wizard. And there might be a few strings attached. OK, a lot of strings attached. Still, it wouldn't be an evil game without some Faustian bargains...

In unrelated news, Jurak the Elder fluffs his save, and is now Exhausted. Bugger.

Cloudsmeet
2012-10-10, 07:14 PM
I'm kind of hoping that Jurak fails his fortitude save against my familiar's breath, although I assume he'd need to nat 1 for that to be possible, just because it would be hugely amusing.

Comissar
2012-10-11, 06:12 AM
Pew pew pew, magic missile!

Maugan Ra
2012-10-11, 07:40 PM
And... there goes Jurak. A terrible shame, really. Now, I have only one more thing that I need to get resolved before you can hopefully start the ritual. Shouldn't take too long, one way or another...

Also, since we'll be approaching level 7 rapidly, I figured I'd go ahead and lay out the group leadership rules suggested in the book. It lets you have access to the swarms of minions that make up a good Evil campaign without bogging the whole thing down in endless numbers of mostly irrelevant stat blocks. And since level 7 grants you access to things like Create Undead, I fully expect to see a significantly sized army behind you. Anyway...

It will be detailed in a following post.

Cloudsmeet
2012-10-11, 07:41 PM
Hee hee, I 'sploded Jurak.

Kin is in a good mood now.

Snowfire
2012-10-11, 07:56 PM
I will have that promised PM to you sometime tomorrow. It skates around the need for dealing with devils and the like (in terms of contracts and such), but will only work this once and has some rather...let's call them interesting, shall we? - side effects.

Some of which will - if you approve it - likely make Ilvaria even more psychotic.

Cloudsmeet
2012-10-11, 07:57 PM
Sounds fun.

Maugan Ra
2012-10-11, 08:25 PM
Making your own evil organisation
It wouldn't be a villains game unless you had serious numbers of minions to throw at problems and generally take care of the menial tasks (even if it's just holding back the heroes until you can be properly prepared for them... or run for your life). The obvious method of gathering minions, then, is the Leadership feat. But having to deal with ten thousand distinct individuals is rather too much paperwork, and it might well leave you without suitable flexibility.

Therefore, any players who take the Leadership feat may instead take it in the form of an organisation, and multiple players may optionally combine their feats to form a council. Sharing minions allows for an evil force far greater than the sum of its parts, but you will have to share control over it (I encourage pooling resources, mostly because it simplifies the whole thing and is most cost effective).

An Organisation's stats
Much like characters, an organisation has a series of characteristics, representing how good it is at different things. These characteristics are rated from -5 to +10, and by default start at zero.

Ruthless - The Organisation's ruthless score determines how good it is at acts of violence and intimidation. If Ruthless hits -5, you can't order violent actions.

Secrecy - The secrecy score represents how good your minions are at staying below the radar. If this stat hits -5, then your forces are a household name in Talingarde, and odds are serious resources will be leveled towards your destruction.

Survivability - This stat represents a combination of raw numbers and how personally resilient your minions are. If it hits -5, your minions have been wiped out, and you are on your own.

Connections - This stat represents your ability to get non-violent tasks done, be it raising funds, acquiring items of gear, or smuggling agents from place to place.

Espionage - This characteristic is used to acquire useful information, be it public ally available stuff found by trawling the taverns, or top secret data looted from the governor's own office.

Loyalty - This represents how loyal your minions are to you. If it hits -5, they abandon you, and you are on your own. It is also used to resist interrogations of captured agents.

All stats start at 0. For every master (that is, PC) contributing to your organisation, you receive a number of points equal to the charisma modifier of the master (if positive), which can be allocated to any stat. Stats are also improved through in-game events, and every time a master gains a level (so if five of you hit eighth level, the organisation gains an additional +5 points to distribute among its stats).

What can my minions do for me?
Why, all sorts of things. Every in-game week, your minions can perform a number of actions. The precise number of actions depends on the levels and charisma modifiers of the Masters, but the organisation can always perform at least one action per master per week. The results of the action are determined by the DM, who assigns a difficulty for what you want to get done and then rolls a d20, modifying the result by the applicable score. So, if you wanted someone killed, I'd roll and add the Ruthless score. An easy action, like intimidating or bribing the dock workers assigned to a particular area, might have a DC of about eight. A nigh impossible action, like stealing the altar from the local church of Mitra, would be rated at about 25.

Scores can be boosted for individual tasks by assigning a named NPC to lead them, who contributes their own stat bonus to the roll. For example, Hexor and Vexor have strength modifiers of +6. If one of them could be persuaded to assist with the assassination, it would receive an additional +6 bonus on the roll... though it might also lower your secrecy. Word of daemons being used does get around. Unless, of course, there are no witnesses left alive to spill the beans.

Finally, if you are unsatisfied with the result of an action, you may execute the fool who failed you and try again. This grants a re-roll, but reduces loyalty by 1.

Possible actions

Abduct peasants - On a ruthless check, you acquire 2d6 commoners of levels 1-3 for your nefarious purposes. Odds are, their families will never hear from them again.

Assassination - On a ruthless check, you have a particular NPC killed. Especially important NPCs might be immune to death at the hands of minions... when you want something done properly...

Criminal enterprise - On a ruthless check, your minions raise level x d6 x 10 gold pieces for your funds.

Gather Information - On an espionage check, your minions bring you useful information about particular topics or just anything they happen to overhear.

Frame someone - With a successful espionage check, you manage to get the blame for a particular action assigned to another individual or group. Or even have something made up.

Indoctrinate - You use this action to tighten your grip over your minions, raising their loyalty by 1 to a maximum of 0.

Recover - As indoctrinate, but for Survivability.

Lay Low - As Indoctrinate, but for Secrecy.

Training - As Indoctrinate, but can be applied to ruthless, espionage or connections.

Legitimate enterprise - On a connections test, you raise level x d4-1 x 10gp. Less profitable than criminal enterprise, but fewer downsides if it fails.

Hunt Beasts - On a ruthless check, you obtain a number of fierce critters to use as experimental subjects or guard beasts. Generally in the CR 1-4 range.

Torture Captives - On a ruthless check, you receive answers to a number of questions from guests of your dungeons.

Trap building/repair - On a connections test, you build or fix certain traps. You still have to provide the cost of the raw materials, but there's no need for your characters to actually do the work.

Grave Robbing - On a connections test, you acquire dead bodies for reanimation and general villainy.

Guard duty - This is a big one. You create an encounter in a particular location with a challenge rating equal to that of the highest level master, -2.

Other assorted notes
Firstly, taking this option does not deny you the use and design of a cohort. You'll still get one, with a class level determined as per the standard leadership rules. The one restriction is that no cohort may have access to arcane magic (bards I'll allow). You are the wizards in this council, after all. Personal bodyguards would be a recommended build, for when they're not off assisting minion actions.

Secondly, you may gain bonus actions from different factors in-game. As an example, for every eight Boggard allies alive, you get a single 'boggard' action each week. The boggards are terrible at espionage and the like, but they are quite good at ruthless actions.

Thirdly, every week there may be random events, which will influence your organisation in different ways. There's too many possibilities for me to list here, but you'll work it out when they happen.

Angstrom
2012-10-11, 11:01 PM
Omnomnom (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M60iFi5dd_E)... Buddy just ate Jurak's soul. The resulting gem will have a value based on the soul's strength that can be used to reduce the cost of making a magic item or sold to daemons.

I figure Jurak was Noteworthy but not quite Grand.

Basic Soul (100 gp): This is the soul of a standard intelligent creature—a commoner, a low-level adventurer, a sentient monster of low CR, or any of the other hordes of weak or mundane folk who live out their lives with a normal amount of pomp and excitement. This is the lowest category of souls which interests daemons, who see animals and other nonsentient creatures as hardly worth the time to destroy.
Noteworthy Soul (500 gp): The souls of mid-level characters, rulers, famous or influential people, and other powerful, accomplished, and otherwise important people draw greater attention than basic souls, and drive bidding higher accordingly.
Grand Soul (1000–5000 gp): High-level characters, great heroes, dragons, powerful aberrations, and other such spirits of fabulous power and forceful personalities offer equally significant rewards to those who manage to contain their essences.

Hal can think of a particular orphanage that would serve as suitable recruiting ground.

Since Hal's prestige class makes him lose a caster level animating duties will need to be fulfilled by others for the time being, but he has enough crafting to do that he should have no shortage of tasks for the next several weeks.

Comissar
2012-10-12, 07:38 AM
I think an information network would serve us well.

Thattaman
2012-10-12, 09:57 AM
I think an information network would serve us well.

I'm definately taking leadership for my next feat. I was toying with getting craft Magic Weapons but I think I'm definately getting leadership now. I think the more of us that get it, the better. I mean, we're wizards and we can get killed pretty easily if we leave oursleves unprotected. When I get mass of all my spells, then I will basically buff them all until they're like supermen.

Maugan Ra
2012-10-12, 11:04 AM
Oh, that's just cold, Kydrak. :smalltongue:

Though I would appreciate folks not interacting with Ilvaria's body too much until Snowfire has actually sent me that PM. That aside, you are about ready to begin the ritual now, if you wish to. The pieces are in place, and you have a good start on how to start fortifying the place. Starting will also kick you to level 7, once I've gone back and tallied up the various rewards.

Snowfire
2012-10-13, 06:26 AM
So, the longshot worked. Hope you don't mind me posting what I just did Maugan - I think it's a reasonable window into what happened without giving too much away - for now. If you want me to change it or delete though, I can.

Thattaman
2012-10-13, 12:01 PM
So no dark elf head on a spike. Pity... it really would have brought my room together. Along with a ring of elven ears, a carpet made of tanned elf skin and a cushion stuffed with elf guts inside.

Snowfire
2012-10-13, 05:15 PM
So no dark elf head on a spike. Pity... it really would have brought my room together. Along with a ring of elven ears, a carpet made of tanned elf skin and a cushion stuffed with elf guts inside.

Heh.

Loving the reactions to Ilvaria's quasi-resurrection. So we've got...one "how the **** did you just do that", two "well done's", one "WHAT SORCERY IS THIS", and a "darn, I wanted a corpse wardrobe".

Fun :smallbiggrin:

Maugan Ra
2012-10-13, 06:40 PM
Bit of summarization there, as the Horn is properly repaired and outfitted by the Baron's hirelings (he will be having you pay for the work, though, using money from the vault). We're just about ready to begin the ritual now, I think.

Oh, here's a question. The pit traps, what option would you like:
- Live capture, where victims are dropped into holding cells but otherwise mostly unharmed.
- Lethal, where the cells are filled with spikes.
- Sadistic, where the cells are reinforced with solid lower sections and the spikes are also submerged in acid from the caves.

I'll let you know the full extent of your available facilities later.

Angstrom
2012-10-13, 08:50 PM
Why would we bother outfitting the torture chambers if we didn't want them alive? My vote goes for nonlethal. Also, Buddy can only eat freshly deceased souls so keeping a steady supply of prisoners makes economic sense too.

I'll go ahead and make some a crafting roll for turning Hal's bonded item into a Ring of the Cacodaemon (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/wondrous-items/wondrous-items/r-z/ring-of-the-cacodaemon). The ring will let Hal interrogate Jurak once a day via the soul gem Buddy just created, which I think will be fun and help us potential guardian monsters. If people want to start placing requests for items again, Victor and Hal can make a list. For the headbands, can people suggest where they want the skill ranks.

Crafting:
7,500gp and 8 days of crafting, DC23: [roll0] (with crafter's fortune and adaptable luck)

Maugan Ra
2012-10-13, 09:56 PM
OK. Just a bit of totaling up here.

Initial funds from the vault: 45,000 GP
Ring of the Cacodaemon - 7,500
6,000 gp to repair the pit traps and set them to automatic resets.
1,300gp to refurbish the torture chamber (it presently holds one individual at a time. More may be held by spending the money again.)
1,000gp refits the tavern and provides general provisions
1,500gp provides furniture for the entire Horn.
800gp for a scroll of Stone to Flesh

There's probably others I'm missing, but for now you have 27,000gp left in the vault.

Thattaman
2012-10-14, 02:33 AM
OK. Just a bit of totaling up here.

Initial funds from the vault: 45,000 GP
Ring of the Cacodaemon - 7,500
6,000 gp to repair the pit traps and set them to automatic resets.
1,300gp to refurbish the torture chamber (it presently holds one individual at a time. More may be held by spending the money again.)
1,000gp refits the tavern and provides general provisions
1,500gp provides furniture for the entire Horn.
800gp for a scroll of Stone to Flesh

There's probably others I'm missing, but for now you have 27,000gp left in the vault.

I'd like a load of Ioun stones to put on my face. It will look so cool and I'll become a lot better.

Cloudsmeet
2012-10-14, 02:55 AM
I'd like a load of Ioun stones to put on my face. It will look so cool and I'll become a lot better.

I think we would all improve with Ioun stones in our faces.

Angstrom
2012-10-14, 06:47 PM
Which types of Ioun Stone do you want? We can craft a Dusty Rose for 2500gp. I don't know if you're allowed to craft cracked or flawed ioun stones, but those would allow you a greater number if that's what you're going for.

While the workers are there Hal stays gives orders that none are to put anything in the High Priest's Chambers where he will be working, they can leave the furniture outside the door and he'll bring it in himself. Hal is sure these 'workers' are Elise's spies.

Weekly Stuff:

Hal's focus will be on learning how to summon the Nightmares. He'll ask Ezra about it on one of the evening when they play go or chess on the balcony.

As part of the weekly routine Hal, Buddy, and whoever else can hunt in Caer Byr. Hal doesn't want to be cooped up in the caverns constantly and Buddy gets hungry for souls. Its like taking his dog for a walk, enjoyable for both of them. Hal wants to explore the jungle and find possible resources/enslavable monsters but a secondary goal is getting souls for Buddy to reduce the prices of crafting. On that vein, would Kydrak be killing these elves as a personal thing or would he let Buddy eat their souls? 1/day for 100gp each for four elves would balance out the price of a cracked blue rhomboid. On the subject of generating funds, did the Baron mention empty manor houses that we can loot? That diamond cave, can we assess its worth?

Do people want to call a preliminary War Room to discuss defences for the ritual. Ezra warned that the Horn will start to radiate magical energy so we have no reason not to expect interlopers. Do we want Ezra and the daemons there too? Kydrak should probably avoid Ezra, but if they both understand its the War Room (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAeqVGP-GPM&feature=related) we should be fine

We have a pair of daemons which can dimension door at will, and a priest who can phase through walls. Seems to me that a series of hit and run types of attacks would serve us well. Catching intruders off-guard then falling back has the advantage that casters may expend combat buffs that will have expired by the time we strike again. This would work best if we use the first level as a trap. Construct additional walls to make it more of a labyrinth then have Hexor and Vexor transport the group around for surprise attacks.
Another thing worth trying is division traps. Those entry hallways on all three levels are long enough that they can be closed off at various places by portcullises that we trigger manually. Automatic traps aren't as worthwhile since they'll be more expensive. Having a trigger mechanism for a trap in an adjacent room and installing "peepholes" to view the hallway will be perfect if that room is used as a staging ground for the counterattack as well.
Coordinating spell prep. Combo-ing spells can be vicious if done well so why not have our characters be familiar enough with each other's spells to plan accordingly. Kin has those scary-good fireballs that target reflex, so Hal will try and lower those saves. Kydrak and Victor buff up before combat so why not ask the one of the daemons to teleport them behind the enemy once the main group has their attention. Dimension door only stops the caster from acting that turn, not the people he brought with him. On this vein, I bring up summoned monsters and undead. It was just demonstrated that we are extremely squishy, a few meatshields is worth having available. For the time being we can only animate skeletons and zombies of medium size or smaller, but at 8th both he and Ilvaria will be animating properly. For the time being, having a few people prep summon monster 3 seems worthwhile. Hexor, Vexor, and Ezra are too valuable to sacrifice in melee, the boggards too.
Finally, roles. It would speed things up if we had an idea of who was going to do what. Hal has volunteered for crafting and trapmaking, as well as espionage. With her channeling, Ilvaria would make the best undead master, but having some healing scrolls in reserve is worthwhile too. Quint's spontaneous divinations are great for early warning systems, and Kin's truce with the Boggards can be used to handle Zikomo's tribe. What do you want your character's to do?

Maugan Ra
2012-10-14, 06:54 PM
You will get time after the ritual has begun before the various assorted adventurers start investigating. Though it is good to see that you're taking it all seriously and preparing properly.

In any case, are people prepared to start the ritual? I can go ahead and post up the effects if you are, and we can get on to the proper timetable for the mission as a whole.

Angstrom
2012-10-14, 07:00 PM
As much as I'm sure a lot of our characters won't be comfortable with our current situation, I say start. Even though Hal would prefer having time to convert the Horn into a fortress and cultivate a herd of ghouls, he'll publicly express a desire to begin the ritual as a way of gaining Ezra's trust.

As for me taking it seriously, this is a chance to use some of the traps and tactics that, as a DM, I always thought were too unfair to use against my players. Opportunities like this don't come around very often.

Snowfire
2012-10-14, 07:05 PM
Start. Also, Ilvaria's channel isn't negative energy. It's Infernal :smalltongue:

Razorstorm
2012-10-14, 08:23 PM
I'm going to craft a Headband of Intellect, and a Belt of Dexterity.

What skill should I imbue the headband with? The ranks override my own, so some don't make sense. Here's a few I thought might:
Diplomacy - since I seem to be the reasonable one :-)
Stealth - For ambushing/sniping
Bluff - I only have 1 rank

Any other suggestions?

I imagine my role being that of a striker. Initially he'll snipe at intruders from peep-holes, setting off traps as well. When the time comes, he then moves to be a direct combatant, hopefully fully buffed.

I'll plan on also taking Leadership, too. I'm thinking of taking a sexy she-assassin (rogue) as my cohort, but I'm open to suggestions. Or maybe a full-leveled gunslinger? Together we'd make a cool strike force.

Razorstorm
2012-10-14, 08:35 PM
Also, where can we see everyone's spellbooks? My character sheet is linked from the front page (as well as Kydrak and Quint), but where are those for the new folks?

Angstrom
2012-10-14, 09:01 PM
Hal's Sheet (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=446313)

Maugan, if you get the time, could you please edit the first post to include our sheets and the links to the maps? Can we edit the maps?

Hal was looking at Leadership too. He's thinking about taking in a youth from the Baron's orphanage and grooming him into a daemonical cleric/oracle with Buddy and Ezra's help, but he'll take what he can get. An extra source of healing certainly won't hurt.

At Razorstorm:
Hal's happy to craft whatever Victor needs help with. You can have free reign of the Armoury and Alchemy Lab though, Hal will use the library attached to the high priest's chambers as his workshop. I'll suggest not combining the two abilities on the cloak. Vest of Resistance +2 and Cloak of Elvenkind (2000gp + 1250gp) will be cheaper than having to pay 1.5x for combining them. Also, I don't know what you did to get the price on Eyes of the Eagle so low; what bonus are you aiming for because the value seems to be between the cost of a +3 and a +4?

Maugan Ra
2012-10-14, 09:35 PM
And... The ritual has begun. In style.

You all advance to level 7, receiving however much xp is necessary for you to do so. If you're taking leadership, design your cohorts and decide on whether you want to pool your minions with the other members of the knot (if not, tell me which feat you're taking instead). Name your new spells that you receive, which includes 4th level magic.

And then, tell me what you're doing in the first week of the ritual. Because yeah, that's how long you have before the first inquisitive sorts show up. They probably won't be a problem, but you never know.

(I will particularly need to know who, if anyone, is reanimating undead, and where you're stationing them.)

Edit: Also, a knowledge (Arcana) check can be used to help analyse the magical leftover from the start of the ritual.

Razorstorm
2012-10-14, 09:36 PM
@Angstrom
You are so right about the Vest of Resistance! I totally didn't think of that! I'll edit appropriately.
Re: Eyes of the Eagle - Stupid mistake, I divided the wrong thing by 1/2. I'll fix.
Much thanks!

Angstrom
2012-10-14, 10:03 PM
You guys get a new spell level while Hal is a caster level behind. On the up side, he now has a energy drain ability that lets him harvest fragments of his victims souls. As a result, he stresses that intruders should be captured alive. He ensures the pit traps are nonlethal for this purpose.

Hal will animate skeletons, but would like to have bows and arrows to equip them with. He'll ask Hexor and Vexor if they'll help him move bodies from the pit to the third floor when the time comes. For now he'll ask that whoever goes into town to liase with Elise and Arkov (someone probably should) to get a delivery of ~30 bows and several hundred arrows. Maybe some tower shields and longspears too. For renovations, Hal would like to destroy the paths leading up to the entrances and replace them with trapped drawbridges. For this his skeletal workforce will require picks and shovels. If anyone would like to use the ranks from their headband and the armoury on the first level for making the required gear that would be great. Let's say he only animates three skeletons in the first week and has them working on moving the furniture into his rooms and carrying rocks up to the second level entrance for building a wall.

Each day, Hal uses the speak with dead ability of his ring (DC16 will save) to converse with Jurak asking questions about the treant's friends and family as well as about the Caer Byr. He is in no rush to gain any information in particular.

1st Week Crafting: 3xHeadbands of Vast Intelligence
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

Razorstorm
2012-10-14, 10:06 PM
Rolling HP
[roll0] (+2 is from Con)

Razorstorm
2012-10-14, 10:17 PM
Spellcraft Crafting rolls

Headband of Intellect +2
Spellcraft [roll0] (+5 from Crafter's Fortune)

Belt of Dexterity +2
Spellcraft [roll1] (+5 from Crafter's Fortune, and increased Int from Headband)

Basically can't fail...

Razorstorm
2012-10-14, 10:20 PM
Victor is updated for level 7, but his caster level is only 6, so no level 4 spells yet. I'm holding off picking spells until I can peak at the team's spell books.

He'll use his Headband's skill on Diplomacy.

I took Leadership as my feat. I'll pool my resources with the team. Still would appreciate some advice on the cohort.

Razorstorm
2012-10-14, 11:11 PM
Leadership Score
10 = 7 (level) +1 (Charisma) +2 (base of operations - I assume)
Tell me if any other modifiers apply.

My cohort should be level 7, and 5 followers, yes?

Maugan Ra
2012-10-14, 11:14 PM
Well, to start with, can you copy your character sheet across to this thread? The old recruitment thread will get deleted at some point, and we don't want to lose your entire sheet over it.

Cohort wise, you've got a choice. You can either go for someone that compliments your own ranged approach, maybe a ranger, or someone to cover your weaknesses and engage the Melee-based enemies before they can reach you. A bodyguard either way would be decent for a relatively fragile character.

Cohorts are going to be level 5, since they can't be stronger than two levels below your PC. Exact numbers of followers are irrelevant, as we'll use the aforementioned system for handling them - just decide where you want to put your single point (from charisma) into it. Ruthless, Survivability, etc.

Razorstorm
2012-10-14, 11:37 PM
Ah, good point about the level! I've never used Leadership before, so this is new territory for me. I think I'm going to go with a melee rogue/fighter, who will become either an assassin, Shadowdancer, or Red-mantis Assassin (I'll figure it out with some research. If you have any opinions, I'm open). She'll be our lurker.

Put my point into Espionage.

And spells are updated.

Maugan Ra
2012-10-14, 11:42 PM
No Red Mantis Assassin. They're too god and setting specific for this game. Otherwise, a rogue would do well, as would a fighter. Multiclassing the two would be a bit odd, but not entirely impossible.

Razorstorm
2012-10-14, 11:46 PM
I present Victor Revilon, spellslinger extraordinaire!

BACKGROUND

Victor is a Chelaxian sent to the Korvosa Acadamae by his wealthy family. His parents are rather absorbed in their own political and financial machinations back home, and can't really be bothered with their son. As a young boy, he showed extreme talent in regards to mathematics, and complex thought, and his parents indulged him with the best tutors. They sent him to the Acadamae to support his talents and, moreso, to keep him out of their hair.

He got his hands on a firearm that his father received as a gift from a political courtier, but had no interest in, and took it with him. He became obsessed with the mysteries of black powder, but found very few resources open to him, even at the Acadamae. When he was approached by an imp that offered to help him get his hands on the rare knowledge, he quickly agreed. The imp lead him to the Asmodean cult, and he has found them a group that matches his own leanings. He has since plunged deep into the world that melds magic and technology, and he is equally talented with each, both a tinker and a mage. He is very ambitious when it comes to his research, and he will not hesitate to manipulate, steal, or even kill to get his hands on the next rare text.

APPEARANCE

Victor excudes upper class. He has well-kept long black hair that he pulls back, and a crisply trimmed goatee. He has dark brown eyes that tend to linger on one thing at a time, dissecting it. His skin is naturally fair, without an ounce of tan, clearly someone who spends most of his time indoors. He has an easy-going attitude, but always a touch of smug condescension. His clothes are immaculately kept and his fashion is up to date. He usually wears trousers, high leather boots, a nice white shirt, and a long red coat with a tall stand-up collar, and gold trim. He always wears his many-pouched holster belt. He is well spoken, with a distinct Chelaxian accent.

BUILD

Victor Revilon
NE Human Mechanist Gunslinger 1/ Spellslinger Wizard 6
Level 7 38,180/51,000

BAB +4
HP 42
AC 14
Touch 14
Flat-Footed 10
Initiative +5
Fort +7
Ref +9
Will +8

Attacks
Arcane Pistol+1 1d20+8 1d8+1 x4 (misfire 1)
Mwk Arcane Musket 1d20+8 1d12+0 x4 (misfire 1-3)
Scimitar +4 1d6 18-20/x2

Str 10 +0 0
Dex 18 +4 10 (+2 from Belt of Dexterity)
Con 14 +2 5
Int 22 +6 10 (+2 from Headband of Intellect)
Wis 8 -1 -2
Cha 12 +1 2

59 total
Skills Ability Total Ranks Ability Mod Class Skill Misc
Acrobatics Dex +15 8 +4 +3
Disable Device Dex +17 8 +4 +3 +2
Know (Engine) Int +17 8 +5 +3 +1
Perception Wis +10 8 -1 +3 (+1 if finding traps)
Bluff Cha +5 1 +1 +3
Craft (Alchemy) Int +12 4 +5 +3
Intimidate Cha +8 4 +1 +3
Know (Arcana) Int +16 8 +5 +3
Climb Str +4 1 +0 +3
Spellcraft Int +16 8 +5 +3
Know (Religion) Int +8 1 +5 +3
Diplomacy Cha +9 8 +1 +0

Feats
Gunsmith*
Point Blank Shot (+1 att/+1 dmg 30 ft)
Rapid Reload (Pistol reload move)
Scribe Scroll*
Rapid Shot (Full attack, +1 shot, -2 att)
Deadly Aim (-1 att/+2 dmg)
Craft Wondrous Item*
Leadership

Abilities
Grit (5)
Trapfinding
Deeds
Engineering Knowledge is Power (swift +2 gun dmg, spend 1 grit +4)
Arcane Gun (Two allowed, x2 crit, gun spells add +1 to Att/DC)
Magic Bullets (swift, swap spell to add enhancements to gun, 1 min/spell level - Dancing, Defending, Distance, Flaming, Flaming Burst, Frost, Ghost Touch, Icy Burst, Merciful, Seeking, Shock, Shocking Burst, Thundering, Vicious, Wounding)
School of the Gun (Abjuration, Illusion, Enchantment, Divination are all opposition)

Deeds
Deadeye (Touch AC at long range, Cost 1 grit/range increment past 1st)
Matter over Mind (+1 to Will vs Spells, min 1 grit)
Quick Clear (Fix gun as standard action, min 1 grit, Cost 1 grit to fix as move action)

Traits
Reactionary (+2 Initiative)
Mechanical Prodigy (+1 Know Engineering, Disable Device)

Favored Class (Wizard)
Skill 6

Gear 16 Weight
Spellbook
Purchased spells
Arcane Pistol +1
Mwk Arcane Double-barreled Musket
Scimitar
Wand of Shield (45)
Scroll of Floating Disk
Scroll of Unseen Servant
Scroll of Disguise Self
Scroll of Invisibility
Lesser Rod of Elemental metamagic (Acid)
Potion of Cure Moderate Wounds
Backpack
Gunsmith kit
Bullets 86
Blackpowder 117
Powderhorns (2)
Alchemical paper cartridge 19
Alchemist Fire 2
Thieves Tools
Components pouch
Waterskin
Headband of Intellect +2 (Diplomacy 8 ranks granted)
Belt of Dexterity +2
Vest of Resistance +2

Spell Level Spells/day DC
1st 5 16
2nd 4 17
3rd 3 18
4th 2 19

Spells Known

1st Level
Detect Magic*
Read Magic*
Mage Armor
Abundant Ammunition
Unseen Servant
Burning Hands (gun)
Ear-piercing Scream
Shocking Grasp
Floating Disk
Ray of Sickening (gun)
Burning Disarm
Crafter's Fortune
Fabricate Bullets
Longshot
Grease
Mount
Ray of Enfeeblement (gun)
Vanish
Magic Weapon
Summon Monster I
Magic Missile
Shield
Identify
Resistance
Protection from Good
Feather Fall
True Strike

2nd Level
Scorching Ray (gun)
Masterwork Transformation
Cat's Grace
Glitterdust
Knock
Reloading Hands
False Life
Blindness/Deafness
Gust of Wind (gun)
Detect Thoughts
Invisibility
See Invisibility
Mirror Image
Bull's Strength
Eagle's Splendor
Levitate
Web
Fox's Cunning
Summon Monster II
Bear's Endurance
Protection from Arrows
Acid Arrow
Blur

3rd Level
Lightning Bolt (gun)
Fly
Summon Monster III
Haste
Phantom Steed
Slow
Ray of Exhaustion (gun)
Fireball
Invisibility Sphere
Nondetection
Displacement
Cloak of Winds
Windwall
Chain of Perdition
Clairaudience/Clairvoyance

4th Level
Dragon's Breath
Dimension Door

Default Memorized Spells

1st Level
Mage Armor
Grease
Burning Hands (gun)
Shocking Grasp
Ray of Enfeeblement (gun)

2nd Level
False Life
Glitterdust
Scorching Ray (gun) x2

3rd Level
Lightning Bolt
Fly
Haste

4th Level
Dragon's Breath
Dimension Door
Black Tentacles
Stone Shape

Razorstorm
2012-10-14, 11:49 PM
Fair on the Red-mantis. Thanks! She'll probably just be straight Rogue.

Razorstorm
2012-10-15, 12:12 AM
As we're building defenses, I want to add lots of perches or "murder holes" where I can snipe from.

How would explosive traps be handled? Something more powerful than alchemist fire.

Maugan Ra
2012-10-15, 12:41 AM
On the map, where you see an entry hallway to a level flanked by guard rooms, there are also murder holes in the walls. There's usually a half wall at the end as well, which can help form a natural bottleneck. Attackers are slowed and held in the corridor, while troops in the guard rooms fire on them.

As for an explosive trap, making a proper bomb should be possible with an alchemy lab. The question is, where would you put it, and how would you trigger it?

(Likewise, how would you prevent your own forces triggering it by accident)

Angstrom
2012-10-15, 01:46 AM
You might want to try fireworks (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/equipment---final/goods-and-services/illuminations-explosives#TOC-Firework-Skyrocket). They inflict good status effects and can be triggered from a distance.

The Skyrocket would be effective en masse. Deployed next to the armoury on the first floor or next to the holding cell on the second, facing the bend in the hallway, they would be manually lit to fire horizontally. Impacting the wall they would detonate (not clear as written but makes some sense) and deal damage and status. The way I see this happening is that you cast resist energy (at 7th lvl it nullifies 20pts or fire damage) on a melee fighter, probably Kydrak, and put him at the halfwall to bait the trap. When they get close enough to engage him, someone starts launching skyrockets, one per turn. As written, you only risk being blinded or deafened if you take damage so Kydrak would be immune, which would let him capitalize in melee on his blinded/deafened opponents.

Alternatively you just set them up to all fire at once and inflict decent damage.

The Starfountain I envision set up by digging out a hole in the floor and putting a false floor overtop that will depress if anyone puts pressure on it. The pressure breaks a vial of alchemist's fire that was clamped beneath the false floor, which then ignites the coiled fuse leading to an eruption 1d6 rounds later. I figure that if the alchemist's fire is deployed properly it could shorten the ignition time. To really add kick, have portcullises fall at the same time as the fountain erupts to trap intruders in its area of effect.

The fountain is great because even a rogue stands a chance of failing one out of four reflex saves. The blinded lasts long enough for the party to incinerate them with spells or a company of skeletal archers to fill them full of arrows. The deafened hurts their casters so even if they somehow manage to escape, they'll be weakened.

An entirely separate thing worth considering is tunnelling beneath the hallways and installing reverse murder holes. This would allow a small character to sneak below and trigger Starfountains manually as well as allow, from an engineering standpoint, easier trapmaking. Same goes for excavating a passage above the hallways.

If you haven't noticed, Hal knows fireworks. He'll help make them if people want to try these traps. His main focus though is defending the sanctum. Neither our allies can't go there nor his familiar can enter the Sanctum so ensuring it doesn't get captured is his chief concern.

Maugan Ra
2012-10-15, 01:58 AM
Well, it might be possible to do those things I suppose. As a relevant question then, how do you intend to do the work? The Horn of Abaddon is, for the most part, a mountain. Granite and the like are not easy to cut through, especially not for the precision work you'd need to install a portcullis or under-floor tunnel without causing a significant amount of secondary damage to the surrounding structure.

Also, I love this assumption that attacking groups are going to come through the front doors when you're all ready and waiting for them :amused:

Angstrom
2012-10-15, 02:40 AM
Stone Shape. Its slow, but with enough castings the stone can be cut into blocks and removed. We have a functional forge right? We can make support beams, grates and the like there. I'll admit the tunnelling is far too ambitious to start right now, but when we see how many casters we have capable of casting earth moving spells we can look at how much is really feasible. Buddy is tiny, as are most of our familiars, they won't need much space to move around below or above, a 1ft diameter tube may even be enough. Then dig the fireworks area from above and you're set, though for the starfountains I prefer the pressure trigger. For the portcullises, you only need to cut about three inches thick going straight up. Then have chains connecting via a series of pulleys to the winch mechanism and drop trigger. To thread the chains, use mage hand to pull a guide line through tubes big enough for the chains and pull the chains into position. It might take a few castings to maneuver the stone enough to allow the grate to be pulled up, but the spell can be cast again to move it back into place. Once the portcullis is in place in the ceiling, plaster a layer of clay from the Boggard caves over it and prestidigitate the clay to match the colour of the rock.

For the larger project of demolishing the paths up to the horn, teams of skeleton workers moving rock cut with stoneshape. Pick the steepest, narrowest spot to make it easy. Have the skeletons prepare enough beams to form the base of the bridge and use lengths of chain. Using stone shape, anchor the chains on the uphill side, and on the lower side have them looped through the rock, but continuing on to an central coil which controls the length of the chain, and by extension whether the bridge functions or not. The spool can be placed in a hole and covered with stone shape. The spool's is held in place by a gear connected to a pulley that leads up to the primary guardroom via stoneshaped tubes where the release mechanism is.

Having someone scrying with the Eyes and a readied expeditious retreat should allow that person to run to waiting ceustodaemons, and dimension door to the guard position while the other gathers the party within three turns. Once we have a small army of undead guards with brass gongs, we'll be able to prepare for a fight before the daemons arrive to dimension-door to the crisis. A stone shaped tube lined with metal (difficult but not impossible) that connects a piece at the Sanctum with whatever room we use as a primary guardroom would allow a faster alert. Further communication tubes leading from the guardroom to other major rooms would give us time to cast a few spells before being picked up by the daemons.

Our characters are already crazy, why not make them crazy prepared too?

Maugan Ra
2012-10-15, 02:43 AM
*considers all of this*

Interesting. And mostly fairly workable as well.

Angstrom
2012-10-15, 03:22 AM
Thanks, good to know we have at least some things that we can do. Hal isn't about to just sit there and wait for them to show up; he's the type to try and make his bunker unbreakable. That said, Hal will put his leadership +2 to espionage. He still wants some idea of what goes on in the village, especially since Elise is top on his list of people he expects want to kill him.

If Ilvaria can make poisons that would help with the trapping. Perhaps with Jurak's knowledge of the jungle he could help us locate a source of poison for Ilvaria to apply to our traps and weapons. Zikomo might know as well. Hal has a week of interrogating Jurak, what does he learn?

Would we like to have a team of skeletons mining the diamonds in the cave below? How about that blue slime?

Maugan:
for the High Priest's Chambers, which I suppose now can be called Hal's Chambers, do you enter through the guardroom or directly from the hall?

If through the guardroom, Hal will attempt to trap that room to allow him some extra security when working on expensive items and resting. I'm thinking about using a coffin as a lure to get intruders to trigger a pit trap that would slant to the same shaft as the one already existing. Creating a vampire myth fit with the spooky vibe of the whole scenario, and what self-righteous crusader wouldn't take the chance to slay a vampire while it slept in its coffin? Also, I would furnish the room like a bedroom and hide the door. Some carpets would help obscure the trap.

Final idea, decoy treasure vault. Skeletal warriors in closed chests in a decoy treasury. Outfit one of the rooms with two rows of large trunks, scatter some gold pieces in the corners to make it more convincing. Have the skeletons ready to stab the nearest target as soon as a chest opens or if they hear a thunderstone. Give a thunderstone to each skeleton and prepare their orders as "stab the closest person and stomp on the thunderstone" to set off a chain reaction of deafening and stabbing. Alerts the rest of the complex to the presence of a thief.

Maugan Ra
2012-10-15, 03:29 AM
All sorts of interesting ideas, but for now, focus on everyone informing me what you do in the next week. You probably won't have leadership-related actions to make use of for the first week, as it takes some time to pull together a force of mostly loyal followers. Still, if anyone picks up Animate Dead as a 4th level spell, there's still all those bones available.

Also, what questions are you asking Jurak? His spirit can resist, especially since he was of opposing alignments to you in life, so try for unambiguous questions. Let's say 10 of them for a week. Because that's a nice, even number to go for.

Razorstorm
2012-10-15, 05:50 AM
I think we can definitely pull off those architectural changes with Victor's Engineering skills. Just not this week.

@Maugran - how about an Aldori Swordlord for a cohort?

Along with that, with Hal throwing a +2 to Espionage, I'll shift mine to something else... probably Ruthlessness, but let me look at the options again.

Also, big round of applause to Maugran for running not only an incredibly entertaining game, but by far the smoothest and best paced PbP game I've seen. Big thanks to you, dude!

Maugan Ra
2012-10-15, 05:53 AM
Yes, yes, all praise and worship to me and my general magnificence. Now, onwards.

I wouldn't object to a Swordlord too much, as it's an archetype focused more on being a duelist rather than a dedicated prestige class thing. So sure, that works.

Comissar
2012-10-15, 06:09 AM
Working on bringing Quint up to level 7 now, will likely take Leadership. Question about the Cohort, do they get the same amount of money to be spent on them that a starting character at level 5 would get?

Comissar
2012-10-15, 06:10 AM
And roll for health - [roll0]

I'm going to work on the assumption we'll be healed up from the Jurak fight too.

Comissar
2012-10-15, 06:13 AM
Apparently I post too fast :smallannoyed:

Here's the health roll again - [roll0]

Spell-wise I've taken Illusory Wall (time to start slowly hiding all the entrances) and Phantasmal Killer

Cloudsmeet
2012-10-15, 07:54 AM
Oh god, everything has happened while I'm extremely busy for a day or two, so I have no idea where to begin. Give me a day to get my bearings and I'll work out what I want to do.

Thattaman
2012-10-15, 10:05 AM
The two new spells are Elemental body I and Beast Shape II, How much will it cost to get stone shape? IT would be pretty useful in a huge stone castle/dungeon.

Comissar
2012-10-15, 10:16 AM
I considered stone shape, then figured permenant illusions were a bit more versatile.

Thattaman
2012-10-15, 10:34 AM
I considered stone shape, then figured permenant illusions were a bit more versatile.

I'll defintaely get it at 8th level if I can't go into Farholde and buy it off people.

Thattaman
2012-10-15, 10:53 AM
Rolling for Health [roll0]

Comissar
2012-10-15, 11:35 AM
Question about Cohorts, will they be controlled by us or act independantly as NPC's (albeit strong ones)?

Angstrom
2012-10-15, 12:20 PM
Questions for Jurak:
Knowledge Nature to try and determine what's likely to be indiginous to the Caer Byr: [roll0]

With knowledge of what creatures and plants might be nearby Hal asks Jurak questions in the format. The choices he makes for the potential source of poison is based on his knowledge roll.

Within 10km of this location, are there (name of monstrous vermin eg wasps) with greater mass than me?
or
Within 20km of this location, is there a location where a (name of monster eg wyvern) spends more than 10 hours a week on average?
or
Within 10km of this location, is there more (plant source eg bloodroot) or more (plant source eg sassone leaf)?

In the first week Hal will see how many potential sources are available. Next week he'll try figure out where they are. He doesn't expect this to be an easy process. Jurak will likely subvert his interrogation so before he goes looking for any of these sources he'll commune with the powers that be to confirm that they're worth looking for.

Health:
Hal: [roll1]
Cohort: [roll2]

Razorstorm
2012-10-15, 01:09 PM
A few quick clarifications about cohorts:

Are they present already for our first "intrusion"? I was going to write up a "how mine got here" hook, but only if they are here now.
What are the character creation parameters for them (other than our level -2)? Ex- stats method, gear, etc.

Also, it's interesting to note the "spellbook" dynamic that occurs when we have several maxed level casters, and a few that trail behind by a level or so. Our spell choices tend to matter much less, since by the time we get access to the next level the leading group has already garnered a half-dozen or so great spells, and we just expand the collection.

Scrolls - Could those not creating magic items work on some scrolls for us? Those utility spells that are handy, but you loathe to give them a spell slot? Some that come to mind as good for the group:

False Life (cause we're so squishy)
Protection from Good
Protection from Arrows
Summon Monsters spells
See Invisibility
Clairaudience/Clairvoyance
Invisibility or Invisibility Sphere
Mirror Image

I'd really appreciate some scrolls of those illusion/abjuration spells, since they are in my opposition list. I can still use scrolls of them though.

Potions - Can anyone make healing potions? We should keep some of those around.

@Kydrak - I drank a potion during the Jurak fight. Could I snag an extra from you?

Razorstorm
2012-10-15, 01:11 PM
Oh oops! I just realized I rolled 1d4 for hp instead of 1d6! Old habits die hard!

Rolling again
[roll0]

Comissar
2012-10-15, 01:11 PM
Fun fact, Quint has no item creation feats at all. His alternate class features mean he doesn't get them or the wizard bonus feats.

Maugan Ra
2012-10-15, 06:57 PM
OK, questions.

- Your cohorts may have arrived at any time just prior to the ritual, or indeed in the week or so following it. It's mostly up to you how you get them there, within reason.
- To create them, use 20pt buy and equip them with standard gear for a 5th level character.
- You may usually control your cohorts. I will only intervene and take control if they do something while your main PC isn't there and they've been sent off to accomplish something.

Jurak responds to all such questioning with something along the lines of 'there was at one point'. And he gives no specific directions, under the claim that he never needed to memorise where specific plants or animals could be found.

Angstrom
2012-10-15, 08:16 PM
When the flare from the Horn has died, Hal descends to the caverns with whomever wishes to help him explain the event to Zikomo and his tribe.
Any takers? The frogs will probably want an explanation, and immediately after displaying the power at our disposal is a good time to shore up our role as allies.

Finding Jurak to be exactly as uncooperative as he expected, Hal opts instead to focus his attention on crafting items for his partners. He maintains a steady rate of questioning, hoping that with time the treant will realize just how damned he is. Everyone breaks eventually, and the offer of releasing his soul in exchange for information will only become more tempting for Jurak as his imprisonment continues.

At midday on the day following the ritual, Hal asks the group to gather in the stairwell so Ezra can explain the scrying effect of the Eyes. Hal suggests setting up a schedule of 6 hour shifts so that the Horn is constantly prepared for a Mitran incursion. He'll also make sure unholy water is always present in advance.
This is when he goes through some of his plan and ideas that I wrote into the OOC. He asks for input from the daemons and Ezra as well as the party, hoping to get support for some of these projects.

When not in his workshop, Hal spends his time scouring the Horn and surrounding area. In the mornings he and Buddy ride through the jungle on his miniature phantom horse. On a few evenings Hal flies up to the top of the Horn to take in the panoramic view of Caer Byr.

Maugan Ra
2012-10-15, 08:38 PM
OK, Quint spends most of the first week covering the various entrances of the Horn in illusionary walls. Doing the gaping maw of the cave levels might be a bit less practical, as it's rather large and the boggards still wish to come and go, though not impossible.

Hal is crafting and interrogating Jurak, along with generally making scouting missions though the Caer Byr. The Treant is stubborn and unyielding in all of the interrogations - he has the patience of a tree, after all. Plus, he hates you all with a burning, fanatical passion.

Anybody else doing anything specifically?

Razorstorm
2012-10-16, 09:04 AM
Victor is juggling working in the lab/workshop on the magic items and overseeing the construction efforts ("day in the life" IC post coming shortly!). He definitely follows Hal down below to talk to the boggards. He spends his scrying/lookout shifts working on design drawings, reading about cults (he's now trained in Religion!), and maintaining his guns.

His cohort (Reyna Teodora, coming soon!) will take over training any boggards or other combat minions, as well as serving as a general patrol. I'm thinking she'll make a fine "captain of the guard" sort unless anyone else is bringing a cohort who'll vie for the role.

He seems to be finding his niche not as a leader, but as the guy who "gets stuff done right".

Thattaman
2012-10-16, 09:47 AM
My cohort will be Grumblejack the infernal ogre. I don't know how many levels he'll be seen as he is an ogre and has a template. So I'm going to make him at level three but he'll be equvilant to a lvl 5. He's from the first book in the chapter and seen as I own that one, I wanted to include him in the game.

Maugan Ra
2012-10-16, 11:37 AM
Grumblejack is a CR2 creature as he initially appears. The Half-fiend template kicks him up to CR3. That's about a 4th level character, so stick three more levels on him - preferably something like fighter or barbarian - and he'll be good.

Comissar
2012-10-16, 12:22 PM
I'm thinking Quint's cohort will be an Ifrit Rogue he met during his travels.

Snowfire
2012-10-16, 12:26 PM
Hmmm...Maugan? There'll be a pm going your way soon. I have...an idea for my cohort.

Thattaman
2012-10-16, 12:43 PM
Grumblejack is a CR2 creature as he initially appears. The Half-fiend template kicks him up to CR3. That's about a 4th level character, so stick three more levels on him - preferably something like fighter or barbarian - and he'll be good.

Would you mind if I made him a Magus. That would make the reason he came to me more realistic. Bassically, after we escaped from Branderscar together, he was inspired to learn magic and swordply like me. When Kydrak said "If you ever see as sight of pur evil, then that is when I am calling for you." he looked out for that and when he saw the huge green glow, he followed it until he came to the horn. I might boost his intelligence a bit, by taking away one strength. So he's got 20 Str and about 13 intel, would that be fine and keeping the rest of his abilities the same?

Razorstorm
2012-10-16, 02:36 PM
I thought we were supposed to avoid spellcaster cohorts?

Maugan Ra
2012-10-16, 02:54 PM
Indeed. No arcane caster cohorts. And Grumblejack really, really doesn't fit the 'Magus' archetype anyway.

Thattaman
2012-10-16, 03:29 PM
Yeah... I suppose. I'll just go full out barbarian then.

Thattaman
2012-10-16, 03:35 PM
Do we roll his health? I'm going to assume that we do.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

15/36 isn't too bad.

Cloudsmeet
2012-10-17, 08:10 AM
Ok.

My cohort, if allowed, is going to be an Oracle of some description that follows Kin around, claiming that he is destined for some great darkness or whatnot, and being rather annoying, and refusing to leave.

He or she will probably be good at divination and buffing, and eventually contribute to undead.

Kin, however, is in the same boat as Hal - he doesn't gain access to a new spell level this time around, but he gets more opportunities to cast fireballs which is always nice.

Cloudsmeet
2012-10-17, 08:17 AM
Oh, and rolling for HP for Kin:

[roll0]

Snowfire
2012-10-17, 08:23 AM
Well, that looks like two Oracle cohorts. Albeit with rather...different motivations.

Cloudsmeet
2012-10-17, 08:30 AM
I didn't see another Oracle Cohort...?

Eh, we can differentiate them, I'm sure.

EDIT: PM me, if you want and we can work out what we're doing.

EDIT: Oh wait, now I see; Angstrom's cohort. Well... I don't know. I'll take a look and decide whether I *really* want an oracle cohort or whether I might be able to do the concept with another class.

Snowfire
2012-10-17, 09:00 AM
Well, Angstrom said Cleric/Oracle. Mine is definitely Oracle. Mainly due to the reason that Ilvaria is still alive - well, sort of.

Cloudsmeet
2012-10-17, 09:09 AM
Ah.

Three Oracles! Wooooooo!

On a more (but not much more) serious note, maybe my cohort can be a bard that, again, is convinced that Kin is the Next Big Thing and won't leave him alone.

Edit: On another note, yes or no to psionic cohorts?

Comissar
2012-10-17, 10:34 AM
A bard singing the praises of Kin constantly would be amusing.

Comissar
2012-10-17, 10:46 AM
Hp rolls for Cohort - [roll0]

... My luck recently has been truly atrocious.

Angstrom
2012-10-17, 11:14 AM
Three Oracles! Wooooooo!

Actually, Vancouver is going to be a priest. 3rd party equivalent of the cloistered cleric from 3.5. Not a combat type in the slightest.

HP: (rerolling for the lower hit die of new class)
[roll0]

Thattaman
2012-10-17, 11:15 AM
Shall I roll the four d8s for the ogre HD or not. I'm going to assume that I do

[roll0]

One abpve average isn't too bad, he's going to have mega con and toughness so that should be quite a lot from his orriginal 32 hp.

Maugan Ra
2012-10-17, 08:39 PM
So, various cohorts are being determined. Useful. And you've received word of the first group of ragtag adventurers that are incoming to find out what that light show was all about.

Right now, you need to make some plans. How and where are you 'greeting' them, for one?

Razorstorm
2012-10-17, 11:31 PM
Rolling cohort HP
[roll0]

Razorstorm
2012-10-17, 11:55 PM
@Maugran
My cohort for approval - Reyna Teodora
Reyna Teodora
NE Human female Free Hand Fighter 5/ Swordlord 1

HP 62
BAB +6
Initiative +4 (+2 w/ sword in hand)
AC 24 (26) = 10 + 7 armor +4 Dex +2 shield +1 Dodge (+2 w/ CE usually)
Flatfooted 17
Touch 15
Fort +6 (+4 base, +2 Con)
Ref +6 (+2 base, +4 Dex)
Will +0 (+1 base, -1 Wis)
CMB +7 (+8 Disarm)
CMD 21 (22 vs Disarm)
Speed 30 ft

Attack
Aldori Dueling Sword w/CE +12/7 (6 BAB + 4 Dex -1 CE +3 misc) 1d8+8 19-20/x2
w/ Power Attack +10/5 1d8+12
w/o CE +13/8
Longbow +10/5 1d8 x3

Str 13 +1
Dex 19 +4
Con 14 +2
Int 13 +1
Wis 10 +0
Cha 9 -1

Skills (4/level)
Acrobatics +14 = 6 ranks + 4 Dex +1 trait +3 class
Bluff +6 = 3 ranks -1 Cha +1 trait +3 class
Intimidate +8 = 6 ranks + -1 Cha +3 class
Know (Nobility) +7 = 3 ranks + 1 Int +3 class
Perception +0
Sense Motive +9 = 6 ranks +0 Wis +3 class

Feats
EWP - Aldori Dueling Sword (Human bonus)
Weapon Focus - Aldori Dueling Sword* (1-Fighter)
Weapon Finesse (1)
Dazzling Display (2-Fighter)
Combat Expertise (3)
Weapon Specialization- Aldori Dueling Sword (4-Fighter)
Power Attack (5)
Dueling Mastery (Swordlord - +2 Init w/ dueling sword in hand. +2 shield bonus)

Abilities
Deceptive Strike- +1 to CMB and CMD on Disarm and Bluff to feint.
Elusive- +1 Dodge to AC (light armor only)
Singleton- +1 Att & Dmg w/ wielding one-handed only
Deft Strike- Add Dex bonus to dmg instead of Str w/ dueling sword

Traits
Threatening Defender- Reduce penalty from Combat Expertise by 1
Blade Bravado- +1 to Acrobatics and Bluff

Gear (10,500)
24 gp
Aldori Dueling Sword +1 (2,320)
Mithral Breastplate +1 (5,200) +7 AC, +5 Max Dex, -1 Penalty (light)
Cloak of Resistance +1 (1,000)
Potion of CSW 3d8+5 (750)
Potion of CMW 2d8+3 (300)
Potion of Invisibility (300)
Potion of Shield of Faith +2 (50)
Longbow (75)
Arrows x20 (1)

Oh, and add my Organization point to Loyalty.

Cloudsmeet
2012-10-18, 09:10 AM
This may be a stupid question, but how are we determining our cohort's stats etc.?

For now I'm going to assume exactly the same as our characters, except two levels lower, but let me know if that's wrong.

Maugan Ra
2012-10-18, 09:16 AM
Cohorts are built using a 20pt buy allowance. Otherwise, they're fifth level characters as normal.

Razor's cohort looks fine.

Razorstorm
2012-10-18, 09:16 AM
Maugan made a post about it back on page 21, but it was amid a flurry of activity. Here's what he said:

- Your cohorts may have arrived at any time just prior to the ritual, or indeed in the week or so following it. It's mostly up to you how you get them there, within reason.
- To create them, use 20pt buy and equip them with standard gear for a 5th level character.
- You may usually control your cohorts. I will only intervene and take control if they do something while your main PC isn't there and they've been sent off to accomplish something.

Razorstorm
2012-10-18, 09:17 AM
Ah, Ninja'd by the DM!

Cloudsmeet
2012-10-18, 09:32 AM
Cheers, I tried looking back at that stuff but I somehow missed it.

I'm going ahead with my evil Dwarven Stone Mystery Legalistic Curse Oracle who is there to make sure Kin survives until whatever prophecy he's convinced is related to Kin comes around, whether Kin wants him to or not.

Bard just seemed to much like he'd get a fireball in the face, and I've played one of similar level recently.

Cloudsmeet
2012-10-18, 10:19 AM
Cohort HP:[roll0]

EDIT: Needs fluff and equipment, but I'm off to bed so take a look at the crunch if you so choose. (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=458944)

Maugan Ra
2012-10-20, 04:32 AM
*brandishes whip*

Come on. Adventurers, incoming. I require details on how you're intending to defend your dungeon!

Incidentally, loved Victor's little fiction piece on how he recruited his cohort.

Thattaman
2012-10-20, 04:37 AM
Well me and my gore buddy are going to fly out and cut that all into itsy bitsy peices.

Cloudsmeet
2012-10-20, 04:56 AM
You know, I was thinking that maybe we should all just sit in our bedrooms with our cohorts brooding and let them come and fight us one by one, but if we have to be proactive then I suppose...

The spells Kin prepares are as follows:
0th:
Ghost Sound
Prestidigitation

1st:
Burning Hands
Vanish x2
Shield x2
Snapdragon Fireworks

2nd:
Mirror Image x2
Fire Sneeze x2
Blindness/Deafness

3rd:
Blacklight
Call the Void
Fly
Gaseous Form

I'm coming up with a glimmer of a plan, but I just need to check back through the maps etc. of the Horn.

Do we have any idea where they'll enter, given that we've illusioned up all the entrances (or have we, so far?)

Maugan Ra
2012-10-20, 05:26 AM
According to the message, Elise expects them to try for the Caverns. At the moment, all they'll fight are the boggards and Zikomo. And I'm sure you don't want the frogs to die.

...right?

Cloudsmeet
2012-10-20, 05:27 AM
I can't find the map of the lowest level anywhere in the OOC, could you post it again?

Maugan Ra
2012-10-20, 05:32 AM
The first post has been updated with links to the maps of all four levels.

Cloudsmeet
2012-10-20, 05:36 AM
Sweet, thanks.

On the subject of the boggards, I guess I don't want them to die but neither do I particularly care if the adventurers clear them out for us and are weakened in the process.

EDIT: You know what, my plan was overly complicated and kind of pointless, in the end. I reckon we should just find an appropriate spot and just ambush them all at once with our most powerful disabling spells.

EDIT: If it's not too late, or for later, I'd like to put in an order for a Headband of Vast Intellect, or if I'm allowed a Headband of Mental Prowess (Int and Cha) to boost my intimidate, bluff, and use magic device.

Comissar
2012-10-20, 06:32 AM
Ironing out the final details of Il'Tara (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=458978) at the moment, she likely will not be present when our first band of would be hero's arrive.

As to strategy for when they appear, I'd be up for messing with their loyalties a little by impersonating one of them (if we manage to split them up) or impersonating somebody needing help then sabotaging them from within.

Snowfire
2012-10-20, 06:34 AM
Most powerful disabling spells, aye. Excuse me a moment.

I'll hopefully get my cohort done today. And then I should be good to go :smallbiggrin:

Edit: Worked it out. Going for a Changeling Oracle of Heavens. Was tempted by the Changeling only Witch variant but decided against it. Also, Awesome Display will be her first Revelation. Just when you think you're immune to colour spray..:smallbiggrin:

Maugan Ra
2012-10-20, 07:03 AM
Fear not. I do not honestly expect this lot to pose a significant challenge. The latter adventure groups on the other hand...

Well. Snowfire, since you will get the reference, Adam and Ali are helping me design one of the later groups. The rest of you will merely have to live in fear and/or paranoid preparation.

Snowfire
2012-10-20, 07:06 AM
Well. Snowfire, since you will get the reference, Adam and Ali are helping me design one of the later groups. The rest of you will merely have to live in fear and/or paranoid preparation.

Really? Interesting. Should be fun.

Note to self: acquire Sovereign Glue and Universal Solvent...

Comissar
2012-10-20, 07:13 AM
Really? Interesting. Should be fun.

Note to self: acquire Sovereign Glue and Universal Solvent...

:smallconfused:

Snowfire
2012-10-20, 07:17 AM
:smallconfused:

You....probably don't want to know.

Maugan Ra
2012-10-20, 07:31 AM
Incidentally, for planning, please hammer at least some of it out IC. Otherwise it appears that you've all gone and developed telepathy. Also, more characterization is always good.

Cloudsmeet
2012-10-20, 07:47 AM
impersonating somebody needing help

That was my plan in condensed form, but I couldn't find any real benefits beyond making it personal. Which is fine and all ,and Kin would volunteer for that role in a heartbeat, and I'll even cast my vote in favour of doing so, but hey... If they suspect and grapple the impersonator it could go horribly.

Thattaman
2012-10-20, 07:56 AM
This is when the iron circlets come in handy so we can all pretend to be any of them. I'm up for letting the Boggards deal with them and hopefully they'll kill of Zikomo, then I don't have to live in fear of being eaten in my sleep.

Maugan Ra
2012-10-20, 07:58 AM
This is when the iron circlets come in handy so we can all pretend to be any of them. I'm up for letting the Boggards deal with them and hopefully they'll kill of Zikomo, then I don't have to live in fear of being eaten in my sleep.

Oh, you'll still need to fear that, don't worry.

What, you thought Hexor and Vexor were nice people?

Cloudsmeet
2012-10-20, 08:01 AM
Also, technically we do kind of have telepathy, since we all have access to the Message cantrip.

EDIT: It's not quite telepathy, but it's the next best thing.

Thattaman
2012-10-20, 08:56 AM
Oh, you'll still need to fear that, don't worry.

What, you thought Hexor and Vexor were nice people?

But I haven't tried to kill them... yet.

Snowfire
2012-10-20, 09:01 AM

Nor will you if you value your hide remaining attached to your body :smallwink::smalltongue:

Cloudsmeet
2012-10-20, 09:07 AM

Well surely at the rate you're going it's only a matter of time.

On a more serious note, I think I'm about to give up on a cohort. I don't like anything that I've made (the oracle I was making won't actually be good at anything I want him to be good at until he's 7th level, other ideas are just kind of meh) and I have no charisma bonus to give the organisation anyway.

Maugan Ra
2012-10-20, 09:07 AM
They're daemons. Greater Ceustodaemons, to be precise. Hexor and Vexor are, at their hearts, living embodiments of malice, death, cruelty and spite, all aspected towards suicide. If they had their way, they'd torment you all with endless and inventive cruelties and tortures until, broken in body and spirit, you took your own life in despair at the utter futility of the universe.

You have absolutely no way of controlling them at present, and the only reason they haven't murdered the lot of you is because you are actively working towards summoning Vetra-Kali Eats-The-Eyes, who is worse than they are.

But, by all means, if you want to keep thinking of them as quirkily polite and powerful allies, go right ahead :smallamused:

Snowfire
2012-10-20, 09:13 AM
But, by all means, if you want to keep thinking of them as quirkily polite and powerful allies, go right ahead :smallamused:

Hmmm...now where did I leave the silver dust...:smallamused:

Razorstorm
2012-10-20, 10:10 AM
Glad you enjoyed it!

Do we have any combat minions besides the Boggards? I definitely think that if we can hit them with some long-range damage, then strategic debuffs, that would be the best time to mop them up with a combat squad. I'm not too keen on just letting them walk into the boggards at full strength. Waste of manpower.

Do we have any combat minions besides the boggards, or just us and our cohorts? I'm going to write a "day in the life" and wanted double check.

Logistics question - Would the balcony serve as a good sniping location as they enter the caverns? As in- Do you have line of sight to the entrance? Is it in reasonable range for long-range spells/attacks, say 200 ft?

One more - Could you please re-link my character sheet on the front page to the newer one I posted in the OOC thread, as well as Reyna's? I often post from different devices, including my phone, so it's really nice to have them accessible in the thread, and it's easy to find them right on page 1.

Angstrom
2012-10-20, 12:05 PM
So I won't be finished my cohort in time for the adventurers since I keep changing what I want it to do.

At Cloudsmeet:
Hal made three headbands of vast intelligence in the first week. He's taken one since it'll help him craft, but the other two are unclaimed.

As for a plan of engagement, Hal happens to possess a certain feat that let's him take ten on bluff checks to appear innocent for a 20 vs their sense motives. Hal and one of the skeletons he animated can be used to lure them towards C15 in the caves while a group from the empty caves swings around to cut off their retreat. What kind of hero will just let a child being chased by undead run off into the darkness and not pursue? Buddy can invisibly monitor all of this and relay information to Hal and the others to help things go smoothly.

Hopefully we can break their ranks then engage from both sides with debuffs and capture a fair few alive. I assume that's similar to what you were getting at.

At this point people know something's going on but not what or who so we can't let anyone escape. Better still, we can capture them alive for Hal to interrogate. By the descriptions, Hal expects to be able to capture the singer easily if they leave her for last. If the group wants to agree on an engagement order that would be swell. Who wants to be where, and what spells are we hoping to combo with? If possible can we keep the grappler from getting in melee?

Based on the description of the priestess Hal thinks Ezra should hold off until she's slain, or at least stay incorporeal in the floor to energy drain from below. Hexor and Vexor would be great for mopping up stragglers. Unless we want the frogs turning on us, we should keep them out of the melee for fireball reasons. That said, we should probably try and train them in shield wall tactics eventually. Tactics that will help defend us, but can't be used against us.

Question: Do we know what the Blue Slime cave is about? If not, Knowledge Dungeoneering: [roll0]

On the subject of OOC telepathy. These discussions can be part of the War Room sessions. Also, Buddy has telepathy, so for combat he will relay any messages from within a hundred feet of him.

Snowfire
2012-10-20, 12:12 PM
Ilvaria will claim one of those headbands - with the skill boost being Craft(Trapmaking). She's going to be drawing up plans for some rather nasty things that were used by castle defenders in medieval Europe. I'm just trying to work out how to get them to work with the rules on trap making in Pathfinder...

On the subject of capturing...well, Ilvaria does have a very limited number of Drow Poison coated Crossbow bolts. The save may be low, but if we hit the priestess and the bard with them...:smallamused:

Maugan Ra
2012-10-20, 12:23 PM
The Cavern of Blue slime is mostly irrelevant now. I tweaked a few of the intended map layouts etc away from the book version.

And very well, I'll assume these posts are sort of a summary of IC deliberations. I'm heading off to sleep now, so that gives you until tomorrow-ish to hammer out a plan of sorts between yourselves.

Also, what animated skeletons? None of you have Animate Dead yet, I'm pretty sure, and you've certainly not mentioned actually raising anything to me.

Angstrom
2012-10-20, 12:24 PM
The Headband is yours. Hal's ranks went to trapmaking as well so the two of them can work together. I was kind of hoping one of our group would take ranks in poisonmaking to make our traps, allies, and torturing better.

I thought a few pages back I mentioned using lesser animate dead to make some skeletal butlers. If not, then Hal does so upon receiving Elise's message.

I've been hesitant to animate large numbers of skeletons from the bone pit for a few reasons.
1. They take gold to animate, and even though Hal still has gold left from his starting funds he thinks its worth running by the group.
2. They'd be normal skeletons. Variant undead are streets ahead in terms of both flavour and effectiveness.
3. There's nothing for them to do. Until we have weapons they're ineffective in combat. Until we have tools they're ineffective as a work force.

Also, skeletal servants don't have to be Hal's. If those without access to necromancy want some minions, Hal will animate and direct them for you.

Snowfire
2012-10-20, 12:27 PM
The Headband is yours. Hal's ranks went to trapmaking as well so the two of them can work together. I was kind of hoping one of our group would take ranks in poisonmaking to make our traps, allies, and torturing better.

Ilvaria has ranks in Profession (Non-lethal bodily harm) :smallamused:

As for poisons...well Ilvaria is going to be looking through one of the journals she recovered from her House. And once I get the prerequisites, I'm going to have her take the feat that lets her make Fleshcrafting Poisons :xykon:

Snowfire
2012-10-20, 12:42 PM
Oh, and hp for Mira: [roll0]

Comissar
2012-10-20, 05:12 PM
If Quint could claim the other headband, on the basis that the illusion DC needs to be as high as possible as, unlike other spell forms, illusions aren't worth a lot if people don't believe them.

Also, if Hal manages to lure off a few of the group, Quint could then impersonate one of those who left and return to them. Alternatively, he could make an illusion of a cave in which would channel the group into a small area (small area rather than blocking them out as they'll still press on if there's a small gap but they'll get suspicious if it's sealed). So long as they're not interacting with an illusion, they don't get a chance to disbelieve.

Snowfire
2012-10-20, 05:38 PM
If Quint could claim the other headband, on the basis that the illusion DC needs to be as high as possible as, unlike other spell forms, illusions aren't worth a lot if people don't believe them.

Also, if Hal manages to lure off a few of the group, Quint could then impersonate one of those who left and return to them. Alternatively, he could make an illusion of a cave in which would channel the group into a small area (small area rather than blocking them out as they'll still press on if there's a small gap but they'll get suspicious if it's sealed). So long as they're not interacting with an illusion, they don't get a chance to disbelieve.

On that note, my cohort has Moonlight Bridge. Which means we have a very effective seperation measure that can be amped by illusion :smallamused:

Angstrom
2012-10-20, 05:45 PM
In the upcoming weeks we can craft items for everyone. Like you said, they don't get the chance to disbelieve if they never interact so that may be the way to go until you have DC raising items. Hal was thinking of making some manacles of cooperation (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/wondrous-items/wondrous-items/m-p/manacles-of-cooperation) for if we want to hold our sacrifices for a long time.

Quint could easily conceal a large number of our group behind illusory walls at this illusory chokepoint. If I'm not mistaken, the daemons have cone breathweapons and would benefit from your help positioning themselves for maximum effect. That said, Hal would like a captive or two, so will ask Hexor and Vexor if they mind helping by grappling and pinning a the weak ones. Probably the bard and the priestess.

Snowfire
2012-10-20, 05:47 PM
In the upcoming weeks we can craft items for everyone. Like you said, they don't get the chance to disbelieve if they never interact so that may be the way to go until you have DC raising items.

Quint could easily conceal a large number of our group behind illusory walls at this illusory chokepoint. If I'm not mistaken, the daemons have cone breathweapons and would benefit from your help positioning themselves for maximum effect. That said, Hal would like a captive or two, so will ask Hexor and Vexor if they mind helping by grappling and pinning a the weak ones. Probably the bard and the priestess.

Bard and priestess will be targeted with drow poison coated crossbow bolts I think. That may circumvent the need for grappling altogether if we get lucky.

Angstrom
2012-10-20, 07:15 PM
A contingency for if they make their saves then. Also, if they're unconscious they can be dimension doored straight to a cell.

What we haven't discussed is how we're going to alert ourselves to their arrival. The Eyes seem the obvious choice, but since we don't know their effective range yet, I suggest leaving one of our shiny new cohorts to man the scrying eyes the entire time to see how well they work. An old fashioned watcher on the balcony with daemons waiting to mobilize the group would be safest while still allowing most of us to spend the day crafting, designing, etc.

This would be the plan Hal proposes in the War Room.
Divide into two groups. The first hides near the entrance, while the other group waits at the ambush site behind a silent image that everyone can see through. Invisible, Buddy watches the adventurers when they enter the area and alerts Hal when they are nearby. A disguised Hal, pursued by a skeleton, runs out from one tunnel and down the tunnel leading to the ambush site. Buddy informs him of how many give chase and how many stay behind and relays that information to the two groups.

When Hal reaches the group down the tunnel, blacklight and silence would be cast in the ambush area within which Ezra's lifesense and the tremorsense of some summoned mud elementals could potentially be devastating. Ezra could easily energy drain one of them and if we're at all lucky the elementals can entrap another. Ezra relays information to Buddy, who then informs the rest of the group. Kin can see in blacklight so would be able to enter and manacle (I assume the torture chamber came with some) those taken out by the elementals.

Enemies can't communicate so won't be organized in leaving the ambush area and our allies inside the area are likely to get AoOs on those that try and escape the darkness/silence zone. Any that go forward walk into Hal, Hexor, and whomever else laying in wait. Those that go back crash into our other group.

As soon as the trap is in motion, Buddy informs the other group and, with Vexor, they mop up those that didn't take the bait. These ones get killed, since we want to be as efficient as possible. Hopefully the stragglers are dead by the time any of those that retreated from the darkness area arrive. By splitting up the daemons we maintain the ability to dimension door one group to the other's location as necessary.

Thoughts? If we like this idea, can people choose where they'd like to deploy? I feel like maybe Kin would be best at the ambush site since Kin's blacklight allows him to target enemies within the ambush zone.

Snowfire
2012-10-20, 07:35 PM
A contingency for if they make their saves then. Also, if they're unconscious they can be dimension doored straight to a cell.

What we haven't discussed is how we're going to alert ourselves to their arrival. The Eyes seem the obvious choice, but since we don't know their effective range yet, I suggest leaving one of our shiny new cohorts to man the scrying eyes the entire time to see how well they work. An old fashioned watcher on the balcony with daemons waiting to mobilize the group would be safest while still allowing most of us to spend the day crafting, designing, etc.

This would be the plan Hal proposes in the War Room.
Divide into two groups. The first hides near the entrance, while the other group waits at the ambush site behind a silent image that everyone can see through. Invisible, Buddy watches the adventurers when they enter the area and alerts Hal when they are nearby. A disguised Hal, pursued by a skeleton, runs out from one tunnel and down the tunnel leading to the ambush site. Buddy informs him of how many give chase and how many stay behind and relays that information to the two groups.

When Hal reaches the group down the tunnel, blacklight and silence would be cast in the ambush area within which Ezra's lifesense and the tremorsense of some summoned mud elementals could potentially be devastating. Ezra could easily energy drain one of them and if we're at all lucky the elementals can entrap another. Ezra relays information to Buddy, who then informs the rest of the group. Kin can see in blacklight so would be able to enter and manacle (I assume the torture chamber came with some) those taken out by the elementals.

Enemies can't communicate so won't be organized in leaving the ambush area and our allies inside the area are likely to get AoOs on those that try and escape the darkness/silence zone. Any that go forward walk into Hal, Hexor, and whomever else laying in wait. Those that go back crash into our other group.

As soon as the trap is in motion, Buddy informs the other group and, with Vexor, they mop up those that didn't take the bait. These ones get killed, since we want to be as efficient as possible. Hopefully the stragglers are dead by the time any of those that retreated from the darkness area arrive. By splitting up the daemons we maintain the ability to dimension door one group to the other's location as necessary.

Thoughts? If we like this idea, can people choose where they'd like to deploy? I feel like maybe Kin would be best at the ambush site since Kin's blacklight allows him to target enemies within the ambush zone.

I'd place Ilvaria and her cohort with the back group. If all else fails, Mira can seal them in using Moonlight Bridge. Mira also has the cheap man's time-out button (Calm Emotions), Colour Spray that, if these guys are only a level lower than us, will affect them with the full 2HD works, etc. She's a controller. And should be rather a nasty one - if I can get in touch attack range on one of their casters I can make them incapable of casting if I hit (Rage with no save, it sucks for you if you're a full caster). Not done with her equipment yet, but I'll get that done after some sleep.

Also, both have Darkvision. So Ilvaria may be throwing a stone with Deeper Darkness cast on it into the middle of the group - or getting someone else to so she can cast Silence on that group as well.

Cloudsmeet
2012-10-20, 08:19 PM
Kin supports the last two posts wholeheartedly.

EDIT: Anyone can cast Blacklight, actually, except for Ilvaria I guess (it's a third level spell), and whoever casts it can see inside the field. But Kin is always happy to get up close and personal with the good guys (unless the good guys are a bunch of ancient gold dragons or something like that, that would be suicidal)

Razorstorm
2012-10-21, 01:38 AM
Some DM clarification needed - I was under the impression (perhaps incorrectly) that Hexor/Vexor and Ezra are not able to go down to the caverns due to their various bindings. Is this the case or am I confused?

A thought for the group - That first entrance cavern gives them the option of going West to the blue slime room or East to the ambush room. We should create an illusory wall over the West direction to funnel them to the ambush room. Quint, can you take ownership of that, please?

Maugan Ra
2012-10-21, 01:54 AM
Ezra, Hexor and Vexor can go wherever they please except into the Sanctum. The daemons have remained in the Horn proper because their bindings forbid them to leave it undefended, and Ezra sticks around because he's obsessed over it all by hate and spite.

Also, the ambush room is noted as such purely because that's where the Boggards initially ambushed you. It does make a decent spot to lurk, though - lots of stalasomethings to hide behind, and the light levels are low.

Thattaman
2012-10-21, 03:11 AM
My proposal is that we secretly kill one, then one of us becomes him/her, we follow them round and kill the next one and someone else becomes him/her and we repeart this until we've killed them all. It would be fun because they'll think we're their allies but actually we're just pretening to be allies, also we could get information out of them while we're walking with them.

Cloudsmeet
2012-10-21, 03:46 AM
That would involve far, far too much effort in separating them one by one, and could easily go horribly wrong. No intelligent adventuring group would split up in the den of evil wizards.

EDIT: Bleh, autocorrect/absentmindedness stuff fixed.

Comissar
2012-10-21, 03:49 AM
My proposal is that we secretly kill one, then one of us becomes him/her, we follow them round and kill the next one and someone else becomes him/her and we repeart this until we've killed them all. It would be fun because they'll think we're their allies but actually we're just pretening to be allies, also we could get information out of them while we're walking with them.

Far too unfeasible, they're not going to be spending days wandering around and we'd need to somehow persuade them to behave like horror movie protagonists. We'd also need to observe them for a while before hand, impersonating somebody for a short time is easy, over a period of days runs a very high risk of being discovered.

Comissar
2012-10-21, 06:29 AM
Il'Tara (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=458978) is now complete. She'll make her appearance shortly after the first Hero's party is dealt with.

Thattaman
2012-10-21, 06:55 AM
Yeah, that plan would only really have worked if we were in some horror blockbuster movie. With heads dropping off the wall and hands instead of doorknobs.

Comissar
2012-10-21, 07:15 AM
For fighting purposes, Quint will prepare the following spells:

Level 0 - Dancing Lights, Flare, Prestidigitation, Ghost Sound
Level 1 - Colour Spray x2, Shield x1, Mage Armour x1, Windy Escape x1
Level 2 - Mirror Image x1, Minor Image x1, Acid Arrow x2, Hypnotic Pattern x1
Level 3 - Displacement x1, Lightning Bolt x2, Windcloak x1
Level 4 - Phantasmal Killer x3

Snowfire
2012-10-21, 07:20 AM
Hmmm...you know I have a rather amusing idea. Y'see, Ilvaria has the spell Memory Lapse. So if, say, we could get them to split up and/or take all but one of them out in a round, Ilvaria could theoretically cast that spell on the last one remaining standing and then we could have all sorts of fun - those of use who have bluff at least :smallbiggrin:

Comissar
2012-10-21, 07:25 AM
Heh, we'd have to be really quick to achieve that.

Snowfire
2012-10-21, 01:33 PM
Well, apart from the rest of her equipment, Mira (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=460191) is finished. Amusingly, she radiates as lawful neutral to detect alignment spells - and has a 20% chance of being treated as such for things like Smite Evil etc. I foresee some very evil uses of this once I push her bluff skill...

Angstrom
2012-10-21, 02:01 PM
Hal's plan is similar enough to Quint's. We may not even need Hal to disguise himself as a lost child if we use a truly egregious number of illusions; although separating them to create chaos would still be more fun.

Snowfire
2012-10-21, 02:06 PM
I also worked out an amusing thing to do with the ambush zone. Take a stone. Cast Deeper Darkness on it. Levitate stone to the point where there's a reasonable space between the end of the darkness zone and the ground. Use an illusion to cover the mass of darkness - make it seem like a naturally occurring low ceiling. When foes get within ambush zone, cancel the levitate.

Razorstorm
2012-10-21, 04:00 PM
The problem is that most of us can't see in that dark either. It's a good way to cause some chaos, but doesn't give us much advantage.

Snowfire
2012-10-21, 04:44 PM
The problem is that most of us can't see in that dark either. It's a good way to cause some chaos, but doesn't give us much advantage.

Both myself and Mira can. The main thing here would be bringing them into an area where they're surrounded by us and then dropping this on them. Ilvaria and Mira can then cut loose with their spells and anyone who stumbles out of the darkness area can be brought down by the others. The Dwarf will make things somewhat more difficult - as he'll be able to see as well - but if someone else drops a Silence in on the area as the darkness comes down their ability to communicate will be nixed. At that point Ilvaria can use Faerie Fire to highlight targets of opportunity and Mira can skirt around the edges of the enemy group dropping colour sprays.

We hide in illusions around them as they enter, drop the darkness on them once they're a ways in, and then go to work. As long as we can get Silence down on them as the darkness drops, their cohesion will effectively cease to exist. And do you know what a party without cohesion is? Bodies :smallamused:

Angstrom
2012-10-21, 04:57 PM
The dwarf is why I suggested Blacklight. Deeper Darkness in an area of dim light would create Supernatural Darkness (https://200e02f3-a-62cb3a1a-s-sites.googlegroups.com/site/pathfinderogc/magic/all-spells/d/deeper-darkness/deeper-darkness-clarification.gif?attachauth=ANoY7cp0S0KdTSxG7CY9S E2kN9rIdApzJcJC3loJAJroBf8cv_l_1SKd5W4t8wN5aDtONzN YYhUpkHqRXd7W-Rv3EkS1sAz4hnFwUJE8SmVVgU5wQ4e_EwV6g0d-ZXZ-MdWzOteMoWq6k18SPnTs2mRYITGSHirUaknLehbMjG-vWxFSccsD3SF9N3ilPb2VKkkdht_h0R-xVMqrnEaMsP9FssIC-bs7RMw4WSy9G21coErZSpC9rxaSa47uNl54FplkgAsuNCWCB_K 3Nt7qdfRujOTAxcRpqqT3INe2ugQf33u1HzY6D48%3D&attredirects=0) in which nobody's darkvision would function.

Ezra, and elementals are valuable in the area regardless. Separating their group is only worthwhile if it gives us an advantage by engaging them as individuals instead of as a squad. A zone of magical darkness and silence allows us to strike without being struck and have one of us relaying information telepathically to us outside about which of them are moving where. Based on the description, the group seems to be a motley crew of individuals that won't be very well organized. We can expect them to each react differently and prey upon that, with Kin's information, to concertedly take out any that leave the area.

I will admit this isn't the simplest way to defeat the adventurers, but I view it as the best way to get easy captures. Exploiting a series of readied if statements will get us quick captures eg if Ilvaria's poisoned crossbow bolt don't work, then hit one with a limp lash; if that doesn't drop the target use another limp lash; and so forth. A swarm of summoned mud elementals mass entrap to make them helpless so Kin can manacle within the blacklight. If Ezra AoOs any that try and leave, their fort saves will be lower making them more susceptible to Ilvaria's poison and quicker to paralyze with limp lash.

Snowfire
2012-10-21, 05:24 PM
The dwarf is why I suggested Blacklight. Deeper Darkness in an area of dim light would create Supernatural Darkness (https://200e02f3-a-62cb3a1a-s-sites.googlegroups.com/site/pathfinderogc/magic/all-spells/d/deeper-darkness/deeper-darkness-clarification.gif?attachauth=ANoY7cp0S0KdTSxG7CY9S E2kN9rIdApzJcJC3loJAJroBf8cv_l_1SKd5W4t8wN5aDtONzN YYhUpkHqRXd7W-Rv3EkS1sAz4hnFwUJE8SmVVgU5wQ4e_EwV6g0d-ZXZ-MdWzOteMoWq6k18SPnTs2mRYITGSHirUaknLehbMjG-vWxFSccsD3SF9N3ilPb2VKkkdht_h0R-xVMqrnEaMsP9FssIC-bs7RMw4WSy9G21coErZSpC9rxaSa47uNl54FplkgAsuNCWCB_K 3Nt7qdfRujOTAxcRpqqT3INe2ugQf33u1HzY6D48%3D&attredirects=0) in which nobody's darkvision would function.

Ezra, and elementals are valuable in the area regardless. Separating their group is only worthwhile if it gives us an advantage by engaging them as individuals instead of as a squad. A zone of magical darkness and silence allows us to strike without being struck and have one of us relaying information telepathically to us outside about which of them are moving where. Based on the description, the group seems to be a motley crew of individuals that won't be very well organized. We can expect them to each react differently and prey upon that, with Kin's information, to concertedly take out any that leave the area.

I will admit this isn't the simplest way to defeat the adventurers, but I view it as the best way to get easy captures. Exploiting a series of readied if statements will get us quick captures eg if Ilvaria's poisoned crossbow bolt don't work, then hit one with a limp lash; if that doesn't drop the target use another limp lash; and so forth. A swarm of summoned mud elementals mass entrap to make them helpless so Kin can manacle within the blacklight. If Ezra AoOs any that try and leave, their fort saves will be lower making them more susceptible to Ilvaria's poison and quicker to paralyze with limp lash.

Ah, knew I had forgotten something :smallredface:

Yeah, this is basically what I was going for. Deny their ability to react and give us one. As previously stated, I am totally fine with this plan as suggested. I was just playing about with it in my head and throwing out ideas :smallbiggrin:

So...I think we're at the "buff and wait" stage at this point.

Angstrom
2012-10-21, 10:52 PM
It seems we'll never decide on what to do unless we simplify. Quint's ambush is way simpler than Hal's so let's go with that, but I still vote for capturing them.

What do we think of the following?

Quint use illusions to create a narrow chokepoint at the mouth of the caverns. We wait until they are within our target area then cast Summon Monster to surround the dwarf and the brawler with elementals as we cast silence and blacklight on an object in the centre of the region. We also send in Ezra.

It seems to me that Kydrak is the best candidate for the Blacklight. Once buffed, he's not as reliant on casting as the rest of us and will have a high enough strength score to pin and manacle those in the zone easily. With him and Ezra informing us how our enemies are scattering it should be easy to take them out with readied actions.

As they leave the area the rest of us hit them with debuffs and the daemons can pin them. If we have Ezra relay through Buddy which ones he hit as they leave the area we can target them with drow poison and limp lashes to take advantage of their reduced Con. If four of us cast summon monster 3 we average 8 small mud elementals which we can safely assume will entrap at least one foe every round.

If they send in a scout first, Quint can use an illusory cave in to separate them long enough to allow us to take them out in separate groups with a similar tactic.

Maugan Ra
2012-10-23, 01:50 AM
Are you good with accepting that plan? I ask because it will allow me to actually get on with this thing. Trust me, simple plans that can be adapted on the fly are much better than overly complicated things that rely on distinctly specific events to properly function.

Cloudsmeet
2012-10-23, 01:55 AM
Personally, I'm of the opinion that I should just go out now invisibly, throw an empowered fireball at them and then warm my hands on the bonfire I'll have made of their corpses. They're villagers, not heroes. We can deal withthemwithout all this fuss.

Or so Kin thinks.

Edit: But that's a yes to the plan, btw. Anything to get moving again.

Thattaman
2012-10-23, 09:43 AM
Kydrak doesn't mind going straight up to them with his ogre buddy of course. But what do you think would be better to use, Elemental body I or Beast Shape II, I'm thinking of going for Stone elemental.

Angstrom
2012-10-23, 12:48 PM
Let's just skip to the encounter then. I wasn't trying to demand anything from you guys, sorry if it seemed that way. I'll offer one more motivation for taking them alive, but if that's not the group's style so be it.

Killing them may be simpler, but capturing them is far more fiscally responsible. We don't know when we'll next get the chance to easily capture sources of income so why waste this opportunity on demonstrating our individual power.

Buddy can only create one soul gem per day and needs the body to be freshly dead. These gems can be targeted for unlimited speak with dead castings as well as used in item creation. Victor can use the gems when crafting too, not just Hal.

Hal wants prisoners so he has a convenient way to refill his soul reservoir. Each time Hal uses a point from his soul pool to create an item it saves us 100gp. If he sacrifices a prisoner as he makes the item, he can reduce the cost by their levelx100gp. Better still, if we keep them locked up they'll be able to regain lost levels allowing Hal to drain them repeatedly. Keeping them constantly level-drained and manacles of cooperation (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/wondrous-items/wondrous-items/m-p/manacles-of-cooperation)'d means we don't have to worry about them escaping. Even if they are somehow freed, they'll be too weak to pose a threat.

These adventurers are powerful enough that they will replenish their levels far quicker than commoners could. The priestess can serve as our sacrifice and as an informant on the Mitran presence in the region and what kind of response to expect. The Farholde locals give us information on the town and its surroundings to aid our minions there.

In my opinion, the thousands of gp this would save as the weeks add up is too great to ignore. That treasury won't last forever.

Thattaman
2012-10-23, 02:38 PM
Wait, Hal's not an Asmodean? I thought we were all meant to have at least some connection to Asmodeous.

Maugan Ra
2012-10-23, 02:50 PM
Most of you are Asmodeans, but Thorn is an equal opportunity employer. Only one of the Seventh Knot is an Asmodean, for example - Trik Rakburn, the Cleric.

Angstrom
2012-10-23, 10:19 PM
Wait, Hal's not an Asmodean? I thought we were all meant to have at least some connection to Asmodeous.

In opinion as a player and a DM, daemons are always the way to go. Choosing to have Hal be a daemonist has enabled a lot of fun RP opportunities for me so I definitely don't regret it.

Things just don't go smooth, do they? Good thing we still outnumber them and can funnel them into close quarters.

"Sometimes you just have to bring... the frost."

Don't worry about cheesy lines, I just misquoted Bane after all.

Cloudsmeet
2012-10-24, 12:00 AM
Just in preparation, I just want to rework the maths for fireballs, and I'll probably drop this into my character sheet notes for later reference.

Caster Level 6+1(Magical Knack)+1(Varisian Tattoo)+2(Spell Specialization) = 10
Bonuses to damage: +1/die(Orc Bloodline Arcana), +1/die(Draconic Bloodline Arcana, only with fire damage), x1.5 empowered

So, caster level 10 and empowered means 10d6+20+5d6+10+15 damage, with a DC 19 reflex save for half.

That's the 10d6+20 from the non-empowered fireball, plus the extra half the dice plus the bonus damage added to the dice, plus the multiplication of the bonus damage. With Rime Spell and admixtured to cold, it's only 10d6+10+5d6+5+7 damage.

Average damage of an empowered fireball: (15*3.5=52.5)+45 = 97.5 damage
Average damage of an empowered frostball: (15*3.5=52.5)+22 = 74.5 damage and the targets are entangled for three rounds if they take any damage whatsoever. Mmmmmmmm... delicious, delicious power.

Oh, and the empowering is coming from a lesser metamagic rod I forgot I had for the fight with Jurak. Can't wait till 9th level and I can craft myself a lesser rod of maximise and hold both at once... :smallbiggrin:

EDIT: Silly me, d6 has an average of 3.5, not 3.

EDIT: So, essentially, if I threw an empowered frostball at myself - NOT a fireball - on average I would still die instantly by being brought to negative hit points greater than my constitution.

Maugan Ra
2012-10-24, 10:53 AM
And... That was an adventuring party having Detect Magic up and constantly scanning, which allowed them to spot the illusion aura around the cave mouth, followed by a Dispel Magic.

And they won initiative as well. Oh, this should be interesting.

Cloudsmeet
2012-10-24, 10:53 AM
See how harmless they are? We don't need to worry about these guys at all.

Angstrom
2012-10-24, 11:21 AM
Totally harmless.

Question: Can Hexor and Vexor dimension door the entire group at once? Just asking in case, you know, they're not harmless.

EDIT: When Hal realizes the jig is up he alters his circlet so he ressembles a crying human child with an iron collar around his neck.

Cloudsmeet
2012-10-24, 11:23 AM
I'm still waiting on whether I should be the one to cast Blacklight or just start dropping nukes on them. Kin happily shares the spell with the others.

Angstrom
2012-10-24, 11:28 AM
Nuke away, but let Hal know so he can pyrotechnics off it. Or did you mean frost nuke? I've begun to realize I underestimated Maugan.

Snowfire
2012-10-24, 11:34 AM
Fortunately, I didn't. Also, considering we were preped, may we have had buffs up? If not, coolio, but I think that would be fair.

Also, prepare for crazy to commence :smallbiggrin:

Maugan Ra
2012-10-24, 11:43 AM
I've begun to realize I underestimated Maugan.

*evil grin*

Anyway. Party turn, go. Remember to include any orders to your allies, and the actions of your cohorts.

Also, no buffs. The adventurers didn't start the fight with any, and they had just as much reason to believe they were about to go into a fight.

And now, I flee, for dinner with family who have actually gone and come up to Aberdeen to visit.

*departs in a swirl of a cape*

Razorstorm
2012-10-24, 11:54 AM
I'm assuming long-term buffs (Mage Armor, False Life, etc) are okay, but no short-term combat buffs?

Comissar
2012-10-24, 12:44 PM
And... That was an adventuring party having Detect Magic up and constantly scanning, which allowed them to spot the illusion aura around the cave mouth, followed by a Dispel Magic.

Hmm, so despite the strong aura of magic around the horn itself they were able to detect the weaker illusion magic? Interesting...

Angstrom
2012-10-24, 01:25 PM
I'm assuming long-term buffs (Mage Armor, False Life, etc) are okay, but no short-term combat buffs?

I hope so, since I IC'd Hal casting mage armour when they came into the open.

Knowledge Planes for the lillend: [roll0]

I'll include some suggestions for our allies in my post, but if anyone wants them to do something else those can take precedence.

Oh, and Disguise [roll1] against their perception checks. Sense Motive vs a 20 bluff to appear innocent. He'll try a stealth check when casting pyrotechnics and hope that the darkness and blindness will prevent most people from realizing he's casting [roll2]

Thattaman
2012-10-24, 02:16 PM
Would racial ability modifiers for an ogre be +2 Str, +2 Con, -2 Cha?

Snowfire
2012-10-24, 02:25 PM
Racial modifers for an ogre, using SS backtrack from the PFSRD entry come out at +10 Str, -2 Dex, +4 Con, -4 Int, -4 Cha :smallwink:

Also, all hands stand by for pretty pretty lights :smallbiggrin:

Thattaman
2012-10-24, 02:47 PM
Racial modifers for an ogre, using SS backtrack from the PFSRD entry come out at +10 Str, -2 Dex, +4 Con, -4 Int, -4 Cha :smallwink:

Also, all hands stand by for pretty pretty lights :smallbiggrin:

Wow! Using those ability mods, then here's Grumblejack:

Grumblejack (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=461807)
Male NE Half-fiend Ogre Barbarian, Level 3, Init +3, HP 47/47, DR 5/Magic, Speed 30ft.
AC 26, Touch 12, Flat-footed 23, Fort +13, Ref +5, Will +3, Base Attack Bonus 5
+1 Greatsword +16 (1d10+11, 19-20/x2)
+2 Breastplate (+8 Armor, +3 Dex, -1 Size, +6 Deflect)
Abilities Str 30, Dex 16, Con 24, Int 10, Wis 9, Cha 5
Condition SR 16
Immune to Poison
Fire, acid, cold, electricity resistance 10
Darkvision 60ft.

Snowfire
2012-10-24, 02:54 PM
Spell Resistance actually does apply against Hold Person, so we'll have to wait for Maugan to roll the CL check. Also, if the Colour Spray works, I advise you have him rage and charge the Lillend.

Thattaman
2012-10-24, 02:56 PM
Spell Resistance actually does apply against Hold Person, so we'll have to wait for Maugan to roll the CL check. Also, if the Colour Spray works, I advise you have him rage and charge the Lillend.

If he's not paralyzed, then he'll go rage, with 38 strength and 32 constisution, which would be pretty hard to kill off, especially with that magic breastplate of his.

Maugan Ra
2012-10-24, 03:24 PM
I tested against spell resistance, and Grumblejack is indeed paralysed. And Thattaman, I did say no pre-battle buffing...

That said, Hallack botched his saves and died, and Hexor and Vexor took care of the archers for you. Tactically, it might have been better for them to cast Slow... but they much prefer killing things.

Just Kin to go now.

Thattaman
2012-10-24, 03:31 PM
I haven't taken my turn yet either. Unless you count my cohort being paralyzed as my entire turn.

Maugan Ra
2012-10-24, 03:38 PM
I haven't taken my turn yet either. Unless you count my cohort being paralyzed as my entire turn.

Ah, whoops, quite right.

Comissar
2012-10-24, 03:46 PM
So, for the record, illusions are still detectable against the background magic of the Horn via. Detect Magic?

Maugan Ra
2012-10-24, 05:17 PM
So, for the record, illusions are still detectable against the background magic of the Horn via. Detect Magic?

At close range, and given that the caves are the furthest away part of the Horn from the main magical concentrations at the top, it's possible. The ones covering the actual main entrances should be virtually undetectable though, unless you know what you're looking for precisely.

Angstrom
2012-10-24, 05:23 PM
At close range, and given that the caves are the furthest away part of the Horn from the main magical concentrations at the top, it's possible. The ones covering the actual main entrances should be virtually undetectable though, unless you know what you're looking for precisely.

So what you're saying is that Quint should just cover all the walls with illusions. We have the time so assuming we survive this fight we just cover all the walls in illusory walls regardless of whether there's something to hide. Who knows, maybe we could get adventurers to burn through some spells before we actually have to encounter them.

Cloudsmeet
2012-10-24, 07:50 PM
Maugan, just as a note I don't actually have a cohort, I gave up on building one a while ago and said so, swapping Leadership out. I may take it at level 9, but until then...

Ok, let's take this turn.

Thattaman
2012-10-25, 09:48 AM
I'm sorry but I don't see how Grumblejack could have been killed. He would have been no where near to the Dwarf that killed him, that's why I wanted haste cast on him. Also, why would Kydrak have cast fireball in that area if his own cohort was in the area? The dwarf would have been at least 50ft. away from Grumblejack and dwarves only have 20ft. movement, so Grumblejack should be alive still.

Maugan Ra
2012-10-25, 04:20 PM
I'm sorry but I don't see how Grumblejack could have been killed. He would have been no where near to the Dwarf that killed him, that's why I wanted haste cast on him. Also, why would Kydrak have cast fireball in that area if his own cohort was in the area? The dwarf would have been at least 50ft. away from Grumblejack and dwarves only have 20ft. movement, so Grumblejack should be alive still.

Hallack and the Dwarf charged him, if you'll recall, being within range due to the illusions being dispelled. In that same round, he was paralysed and thus unable to move away. The second round, the dwarf delivers a coup de grace. Where is the confusion?

This is specifically leaving aside the fact that I said no retroactive pre-battle buffing, like casting haste. And the adventurers were spread out, which is why I resolved the fireball against the ones that weren't right up next to your cohort.

Snowfire
2012-10-25, 06:19 PM
I do have a question regarding the Lillend. Is it within 60' of Ilvaria if she moves forward her max move? Because if so she's going to blast it - targeting via Detect Magic-o-vision.

Angstrom
2012-10-26, 12:32 AM
It just occurred to me that we didn't do anything with Artephius the Golem yet. Didn't really need him, but Hal's pyrotechnics would combo well off the golem's bombs in the future.

Question: can the daemons dimension door with prisoners?

If yes, Hal does the following. If no, he makes sure the prisoners are completely disoriented and that their hearing is blocked before using the chairs to transport them.

Hal manacles, blindfolds, and gags the prisoners and asks one of the daemons to keep watch until for a few minutes while he heads back to the caverns to inspect the corpses. Once any valuables have been removed, Hal has his skeletons transport the fallen to a room on the first level to await animation.

Returning to the prisoners, he transports them to the holding cells on the third floor, where they are individually chained, hands and feet, to the wall. He then removes their gags, and leaves the room; making sure to close the door loudly as he exits. Buddy, remains floating above to eavesdrop on any conversations.

Hal will ask that the looted gear amassed in the war room. The elven archers will be reanimated as skeletons once Hal strips the away the fleshy bits. I'll post Hal's visit to Farholde for supplies and cohort recruiting once we've settled out the combat resolution.

Comissar
2012-10-26, 01:51 AM
I'll throw up an introductory post for Il'Tara a little later today, along with a slice of what Quint's going to be doing with his time.

Thattaman
2012-10-26, 10:24 AM
I really like Grumblejack as a character so I've got an idea that might be able to keep him alive, because I didn't get to do a thing with him and he's already dead, I'm sure you all understand my slight frustration.

Razorstorm
2012-10-26, 01:27 PM
@Maugan - Thank you for linking Reyna in opening post. Could you change Victor's link to this post here? (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=14052407&postcount=596) As you requested, I reposted him to the OOC thread so that it doesn't disappear if/when that recruitment thread gets killed. I'm now updating this one moving forward.

During the next week, Victor spends his time working on his projects, knocking off the mundane alchemical/gun items as well as the Vest of Resistance. He continues his study of the golem, and works on plans for defenses and traps on the Horn with any others who want to be.

@Ilvaria - Was it you who had Craft Trapmaking?

The following week he devotes to mundane efforts around the Horn, and would like to arrange a "double-date" with the Baron and Elise. The goal is to establish the two of them as nobles, friends of the Baron that come and go from time to time so that we have someone in our group that can go to town safely without raising alarms. We just have to make sure that our exit isn't obviously to the Caer.

Razorstorm
2012-10-26, 01:56 PM
Do we have any way to deliver messages back to Elise?

Snowfire
2012-10-26, 01:58 PM
@Victor, Yep, that's right. Will you be taking your cohort on aforementioned 'Double date' or would another member of the party be better in case you're wounded/indisposed/etc.?

Also, Ilvaria will be using Blood Transcription as many times as she can on the Bard and Cleric after they're killed so as to enhance her spellbook.

Maugan Ra
2012-10-26, 02:44 PM
And I've just noticed that yes, Hal has Lesser Animate Dead. So you can have some undead around, possibly with equipment if you find a way to provide it. How much do people want to animate, bearing in mind your treasury is suffering a bit.

On a related note, loot from the attacking group:
- A +1 Longsword
- +1 Warhammer
- A +1 Breastplate
- A set of +1 chain mail
- A Mithril chain shirt.

Those are just the most exceptional items. The rest are mostly irrelevant.

Snowfire
2012-10-26, 03:02 PM
And I've just noticed that yes, Hal has Lesser Animate Dead. So you can have some undead around, possibly with equipment if you find a way to provide it. How much do people want to animate, bearing in mind your treasury is suffering a bit.

On a related note, loot from the attacking group:
- A +1 Longsword
- +1 Warhammer
- A +1 Breastplate
- A set of +1 chain mail
- A Mithril chain shirt.

Those are just the most exceptional items. The rest are mostly irrelevant.

Interesting. I would say though that the mundane equipment should go into the armoury for us to equip our minions/undead servants etc.

Also, Ilvaria has that spell as well due to Cleric. Just as a note :smallwink:

Thattaman
2012-10-26, 03:07 PM
Those seem to be pretty useless to a group of Wizards, seen as we are unable to use any of those.

Snowfire
2012-10-26, 03:09 PM
Those seem to be pretty useless to a group of Wizards, seen as we are unable to use any of those.

Consider, for a moment, our cohorts. Also consider that those things can be sold if we so wish to boost our treasury.