PDA

View Full Version : WotW: Call forth Darkness OOC

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Razorstorm
2012-10-26, 03:10 PM
@Victor, Yep, that's right. Will you be taking your cohort on aforementioned 'Double date' or would another member of the party be better in case you're wounded/indisposed/etc.?

I was planning on bringing Reyna mainly because we are the only two that aren't "weird non-humans" in order to avoid causing a stir, but you bring up a good point. I also forgot entirely about those circlets we have...

Victor is pretty gun-shy about taking the group after the last debacle with the Baron/Elise, but I'm open to ideas. Maybe a foursome?

Snowfire
2012-10-26, 03:14 PM
You and Reyna, Ilvaria and Mira. Ilvaria actually has from her starting funds a Noble's Outfit and the appropriate jewels and signet.

To the town, Ilvaria and Victor can be either brother and sister or husband and wife. Depending on the fantasy, Reyna is either Victor's mistress or fiance - but in both cases also the couple's main bodyguard - and Mira is Ilvaria's Lady-in-waiting.

Work for you?

Thattaman
2012-10-26, 03:25 PM
Wait, what are you guys planning? It sounds like some wierd sex set-up which I wasn't really expecting from this game. I don't mind if it is, I have played characters who are a bit like that, but I didn't think this was the kind of game where people are doing that.

Snowfire
2012-10-26, 03:31 PM
Wait, what are you guys planning? It sounds like some wierd sex set-up which I wasn't really expecting from this game. I don't mind if it is, I have played characters who are a bit like that, but I didn't think this was the kind of game where people are doing that.

We're putting together a cover so that a few of us can move - relatively - freely within Farholde. I'm just throwing out ideas built off of what Razorstorm has said thus far. And no, the weird sex set-up will remain off camera nonexistent.

Maugan Ra
2012-10-26, 03:47 PM
You have all have Iron Circlets, gifts from Thorn, which function like Hats of Disguise. Elaborate cover stories aren't too necessary, really. But sure, if you want to talk to the Baron and Elise again, it can be arranged.

Snowfire
2012-10-26, 03:50 PM
You have all have Iron Circlets, gifts from Thorn, which function like Hats of Disguise. Elaborate cover stories aren't too necessary, really. But sure, if you want to talk to the Baron and Elise again, it can be arranged.

Above plan uses those Circlets - at least in Ilvaria's case. And that may be true, but elaborate cover stories are fun :smalltongue:

Angstrom
2012-10-27, 01:46 PM
If Hal must be part of this scheme he will take the part of someone's child.

Really, he just wants to go into Farholde so I can recruit his cohort. He definitely doesn't want Elise to know he's there. He may even go at a different time so the Horn stays defended.

Horn stuff:
In the meantime he continues crafting items for the party at a reduced speed to take advantage of the souls. He casts deathwatch to make sure he doesn't kill them. He'll be making another Headband, but I've lost track of what else we want. Manacles of Cooperation might be helpful, but then again, we could just cut off their hands and feet.

Question for Maugan: they get fortitude saves (DC17) to remove the negative levels each day. Could you please supply an average soul return rate for each prisoner? Hal will drain them until they have one level left each time so they make character level-1 saves/day. How many levels per day, on average, does each prisoner restore.

Buddy spends a lot of his time listening in on any conversations. Anyone who wishes to interrogate the prisoners may do so as often as they want. The ones who recover fastest get special attention. Hal is considering offering one of them to Hexor and Vexor as a plaything. They probably want something to torment.

When he next speaks with Jurak, Hal mentions that his friends are now dead. He sees if that weakens his resolve, but if it doesn't he takes that to mean that more will come. Next line of questioning involves asking Jurak if he has any family. Children specifically.

He informs Zikomo that the immediate threat has passed. Warning him that more may come. He asks the shaman to keep searching the jungle for sources of poison or undead servants.

Thattaman
2012-10-28, 03:25 AM
I'll post IC when Maugan replies to mt PM.

Angstrom
2012-10-28, 04:42 PM
Hal's Cohort: Van (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=458510)

There's a chunk of backstory to fill a couple gaps in the IC post on the sheet. She's a little more unstable than Hal, so probably isn't the best choice for leading the group of minions in Farholde. Hal had Buddy to talk to while they were separated, but Van didn't have anyone so got a little corrupted by Trelmarixian's maddening influence. The sheet is still not quite finished, but I assume its ok if I take until the end of the two-week window to spend her starting wealth, pick traits/feats, etc.

She'll be different from our other divine casters in that I'll be throwing her into melee fairly often. For debuffing, she and Hal should be more than capable of dropping ability scores to 1 when casting in concert. Heightened Bestow Curse is her Preferred Spell, so she and Hal should be able to take out individual's to complement Kin's area damage and Reyna's mass debuff.

She has access to animate dead so, with the groups permission, she will be animating those elves as skeletal archers (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/undead/skeleton-medium/skeletal-medium-archer) costing 50gpxelf's level each. A few acid splashes should be enough to remove the flesh. That minotaur corpse could make a good servant, as woud some wolves for tripping. I'm not yet sure to what degree the Horn's aura boosts undead controlling.

Maugan Ra
2012-10-28, 06:49 PM
Skeletal archers work well. Want to animate some of the undead from the pit as well? Numbers are always good, and they free up your minions to do things other than guard duty.

On a related note - you have a pool of, I think, four actions each week for your minions to make use of. Please decide what to get them to attempt.

Oh, and I'll save some effort - the elves that came with the Lliend were from a small jungle-dwelling group. Good outsiders often attract bands of followers like that.

Regarding the prisoners... Jurak seems defiant all the same, evidently believing that you will eventually be vanquished. When Hal returns from Farholde, he finds that all four of the prisoners are dead. They appear to have died from claw wounds to their throats... and none look like they resisted in the slightest.

Cloudsmeet
2012-10-28, 06:55 PM
Hmmmmm... do Lillends have claws?

Also, we really need some Alarm spells because someone we don't know must have come and gone and we can't be too careful if Elise or the Baron decide they don't like us anymore and stop sending their warnings.

Maugan Ra
2012-10-28, 06:58 PM
Nope, Lliends have hands.

Ceustodaemons have claws, though. :smallwink:

Snowfire
2012-10-28, 07:00 PM
Nope, Lliends have hands.

Ceustodaemons have claws, though. :smallwink:

Suspected as much.

Oh well.

Angstrom
2012-10-28, 07:43 PM
Should have offered the appeasement prisoner before leaving. I would have thought our friends would have played with the prisoner more before killing them.

I suppose I deserved that though, since I was trying some cheeky stuff with that soul pool. Fair that I shouldn't be allowed an easy way of making unlimited items. Would have been nice to interrogate them though. Also, since Buddy stayed behind, did he get to create a soul gem from one of them?

Thattaman
2012-10-29, 03:20 AM
I'm trying to think of another idea for a cohort, and I've run through a few ideas and I think I'm going to have Kydrak twin brother, they were sperated at birth and one was chosen to be the prince: Kydrak and the other was left with his mother: Kydrak's brother. Kydrak's brother became an antipaladin of Asmodeous and moved to Talingarde to defeat the Mitrans, they both have a burning hatred for elves and to some degree they hate eachother. They'll both be different kinds of evil. Kydrak liked to pick thing up on a grander scale and kills mainly to get himself more powerful, whereas his brother, is chaotic evil, he kills purely for fun and to hurt as much as he can, they are both quite similar, but they will have pretty violent brotherly fights.

Thattaman
2012-10-29, 03:22 AM
Rolling health [roll0]

Edit: Stupid forum roller, now I'm going to have to triple post.

Thattaman
2012-10-29, 03:23 AM
Rolling health. Again. [roll0]

Maugan Ra
2012-10-29, 05:43 AM
I'm pretty sure you can't have a Chaotic Evil Anti-Paladin of a Lawful Evil god. Beyond that... long lost twin brother? Really? :smalltongue:

Snowfire
2012-10-29, 05:48 AM
I'm pretty sure you can't have a Chaotic Evil Anti-Paladin of a Lawful Evil god. Beyond that... long lost twin brother? Really? :smalltongue:

*Takes out Drow Seduction 101 and starts browsing sections on exploiting sibling rivalry*

:smalltongue:

Comissar
2012-10-29, 06:57 AM
Il'Tara is actually Quint's long lost twin cousin!

Can the new cohort be called Kardyk? Please?

Thattaman
2012-10-29, 03:01 PM
The evil twin of an evil dude, should be fun and seen as both of them will have a burning hatred for eachother is should be more fun RPing-wise than the stupid ogre. Karkyk is a possible name but that would be just silly, and we couldn't have that... could we? :smalltongue:

Cloudsmeet
2012-10-30, 02:02 AM
And the dwarf oracle I'll probably be bringing in around level 9 or 11 is actually Kin's brother-in-law!

On a more serious note, sorry I haven't been posting. It's a combination of uni exams and not really knowing what to do with Kin during downtime. Suggestions would be welcome on that score.

Angstrom
2012-10-30, 01:41 PM
I suppose for the rest of the two weeks Hal will craft for ~8hrs a day. If Zikomo ever has anything to show him he will ride out with Buddy to investigate. Van will animate the elves as skeletal archers. The archer variant skeletons get Precise and Point Blank Shots which makes them ideal for our bottleneck hallways. If we can produce large amounts of Drow Poison for them could be pretty ideal. That minotaur will probably be animated as a fast zombie. Ilvaria or Van can grow back the corpse if needed. Left with orders to bull rush intruders into a pit trap, it should be effective. If the boggards can find a herd of aurochs, that would be even better.

If Kin wants, Hal can teach him the alchemy required to make fireworks for some traps. A few castings of Share Memory should be enough to teach him Skyrockets and Starfountains. I assume alchemy is the appropriate skill, but there is no DC listed for fireworks. It can't be much higher than making cartridges for firearms. Alternatively, some scrolls would be nice.

Question for Maugan:
From the daemons' response it sounds like Hal manages to drain a them a few times before they got killed. Could you give me a number of soul fragments drained? I'll take whatever number you decide and use it for crafting items.

Question for Group:
Van can cast Stone Shape twice per day. To me that means we can start some major upgrades to the Horn. What do we want to do?

Installing portcullises and making fall-away bridges on the path up are more major projects that everyone needs to be onboard for. First thing I'd like to do though, is create a pipe between the sanctum and the Meditation Chamber/War Room. It should allow for whoever is manning the scrying eyes to alert the occupants immediately. Further message tubes would allow us to have ways of alerting sleeping party members to invaders as long as someone is in the War Room which, after Van stone shapes a ping pong table, should be pretty much all the time.

For traps, I feel like starfountain traps are the simplest to make once we've crafted a starfountain and a vial of alchemists fire. Probably only takes four castings of stone shape max to create the necessary compartment, tiles for the pressure plates above the alchemists fire holders then cover it up with a paper thin screen and its good to go.

Maugan Ra
2012-10-30, 07:15 PM
The first post has been updated with a list of your allies and resources. I've only included the crafting costs for items that I could see people roll for making.

Animating undead:
25gp per hit dice of the undead required. Between the six wizards and two spell casting cohorts (Mira and Van) you have 52 caster levels, thus allowing you to control a potential maximum of 204 hit dice worth of undead. That's a fairly sizeable army.

For the cost of three and a half thousand Gp, you can animate all the potential skeletons you have in your bone pit etc and equip them with short swords or equivalent weapons. That will make for a full hundred undead soldiers (I'm quite willing to say the one who animates an undead can hand over control of it to another spell caster). Armour is a damn sight more expensive, though. Still, would you like to do that?

For 2400gp, you may acquire the ritual ingredients for the Hellhound summoning ritual. Then you must buy trained War Dogs for 25gp a head and ritually sacrifice them to transform them into hellhounds. No more than 2 such hounds may be summoned by each PC, though doing so does provide each of you with unflaggingly loyal and intelligent protectors, which can also serve as a viable mobile attack force. Who would like to do this?

For 3000gp, you may prepare the rituals to summon Nightmare steeds. For each PC who wishes to have one, they may purchase a Heavy Warhorse for 300gp and ritually sacrifice it. This will provide you with excellent mobility, and the sheer panache of owning a fire breathing evil Pegasus. Who would like to do so?

For 1,200gp, a ritual may be performed in the Mud Pit chambers of the cavern levels to summon and bind evil mud Elementals to guard the area. This provides a decent defense, seeing as that cave is presently the only non-flying way to access the Sanctum. Would you like to do this?

Also, you have a total of eight minions actions to order. Snowfire and Thattaman also need to inform me where they are assigning their organisation points (you get one each, plus one more for each point of charisma bonus)

Cloudsmeet
2012-10-30, 07:34 PM
With the hellhound and nightmare rituals, do we have to buy the ritual ingredients for each such summoned creature, or as long as we have the sacrificial animals can we simply do them all in the one casting?

If so, I'd say yes to all of those despite our dwindling treasury, if only for coolness' sake. I'd say though that we need some sort of moneymaking scheme, and soon. Perhaps we should get some if those organization points into one of the two money making skills/traits, and get some cash inflow. How much profit could be had from magic item crafting?

Snowfire
2012-10-30, 07:39 PM
For organisation, two in connections. Lets get some 'legitimate' business laid down for us to work with :smallamused::smallbiggrin:

Also, agree with Cloudsmeet on the ritual points. If all we need is that amount in total, do it.

Maugan Ra
2012-10-30, 08:02 PM
Indeed. The larger investment for each ritual is a one-off, with the smaller costs being required for every creature to be summoned.

And Connections rating noted.

Snowfire
2012-10-30, 08:06 PM
Indeed. The larger investment for each ritual is a one-off, with the smaller costs being required for every creature to be summoned.

And Connections rating noted.

At least one Minion action is going into Legitimate Business. If we do the 'double date' plan, then we can have the 'nobles' who turn up be the public face of the venture - giving us PC boni to the actions (if those are allowed).

If we don't do that, Ilvaria will likely communicate with the Baron her intention for Mira to pose as a merchant/noble looking to set up such a venture in Farhole for...reasons. Perhaps they saw the flare and realised that those coming to Farholde to investigate would require a place to rest, prepare, and gather any last minute supplies.

Hmmm...I like the idea of profiting from our foes even before we've run into them. Would that be something we could set up with minion actions?

Maugan Ra
2012-10-30, 08:14 PM
Legitimate business and Gather Information checks would likely do well to represent ideas like that - bringing in a bit of money and scoping out the area at the same time. Any PC or NPC can spend the week doing such things to lend their bonuses to the rolls, but it's best not to go into too much detail - simplifying the whole process is sort of the point of the mechanics.

If you are going to visit the Baron and Elise, someone please put up an IC post starting that off, and I'll work from there. It's always good to make positive impressions on your allies - that way, they might only backstab some of you :smallwink:

Snowfire
2012-10-30, 08:17 PM
Legitimate business and Gather Information checks would likely do well to represent ideas like that - bringing in a bit of money and scoping out the area at the same time. Any PC or NPC can spend the week doing such things to lend their bonuses to the rolls, but it's best not to go into too much detail - simplifying the whole process is sort of the point of the mechanics.

If you are going to visit the Baron and Elise, someone please put up an IC post starting that off, and I'll work from there. It's always good to make positive impressions on your allies - that way, they might only backstab some of you :smallwink:

Gotcha. So just roll to aid and see what happens then?

Also, will put up an IC post regarding going to see the Baron and Elise tomorrow. Got most of the day free so should be able to put something together. Anyone else wanting to come along?

Cloudsmeet
2012-10-30, 08:35 PM
I'm debating on whether I should come or not. It would be somewhat hard for them to backstab me if they don't know me (although if they backstabbed* us as a whole, I'd be affected)

*Is that a word?

Thattaman
2012-10-31, 03:42 AM
Kydrak would quite like to come. Although he has no interest in the baron he would like to see how we are coming along. Also, I can cast Eagle's spleandour for any charisma rolls.

Snowfire
2012-10-31, 06:30 AM
Kydrak would quite like to come. Although he has no interest in the baron he would like to see how we are coming along. Also, I can cast Eagle's spleandour for any charisma rolls.

Well....I think there might be perception rolls required then. As I'm unsure if Ilvaria will want to bring the arrogant, stupid, half-elf along (her opinion on him, no offence)

Thattaman
2012-10-31, 03:14 PM
He's not exactly stupid, just unwise.

Snowfire
2012-10-31, 03:24 PM
He's not exactly stupid, just unwise.

Unwise, stupid, same difference to a drow :smalltongue:

Thattaman
2012-10-31, 04:16 PM
Kydrak lives in the comfort that when Ilvaria dies for good, then she will make a pretty good head on a spike, or maybe her skin could be made a blanket. I'll post how Kydrak meets his brother: Caldrel.

Caldrel Seldon (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=463756)
Male LE Half-elf Antipaladin, Level 5, Init +5, HP 43/43, Speed 20ft.
AC 26, Touch 12, Flat-footed 25, Fort +8, Ref +4, Will +5, Base Attack Bonus 5
+1 Longsword +10 (1d8+4, 18-20/x2)
+1 Full Plate Armour, +1 Heavy Steel Sheild (+11 Armor, +3 Shield, +1 Dex, +1 Natural)
Abilities Str 18, Dex 12, Con 14, Int 8, Wis 8, Cha 15

Maugan Ra
2012-10-31, 05:09 PM
OK. Two things.

First, I restate my objection to that alignment. You cannot have a Chaotic Evil paladin of a Lawful Evil god. One of the rules for this adventure path, which admittedly hasn't come up before, is that there is no requirement for an Anti-Paladin to be CHAOTIC Evil.

Secondly, I did mention via PM that you'd get your new cohort either when you leveled up again, or when plot brought in a new option. So, you know, not yet.

Thattaman
2012-11-01, 03:05 AM
OK, I'll change him to being LE instead. Also, I didn't get a single thing done with my other cohort, he died before he even got to move in combat, actuallyI was still in the process of making him when he got paralyzed, so he barely even counted as a character. He never even spoke to anyone other than Kydrak and in battle all he did was stand there. I think it would be fair to have Caldrel now, due to the fact that he's practically my first cohort who will do something other than die straight away in the first combat.

Razorstorm
2012-11-01, 01:46 PM
For my cohort action for the week Reyna will handle guard duty.

@Maugan - It took my a while to find those rules for the organization. Could you either add them to the 1st OOC post, or link to it there?

I don't think I need to roll for my mundane gun-creation tasks due to Gunsmithing feat. Let me know if I'm wrong.

Keg of Black Powder (100 gp)
Bullets x60 (6 gp)
Alchemical paper cartridges x10 (60 gp)
Masterwork Double-barreled Arcane Musket (1,250 gp)

Spellcraft roll for Vest of Resistance +2 (cost 2,000gp) includes +5 for Crafter's Fortune.
[roll0]

Razorstorm
2012-11-01, 01:53 PM
I vote for our first summoning being the Mud Men.

Comissar
2012-11-01, 02:07 PM
Mud men sounds fine with me, I've been thinking about how to use the Illusory walls. Covering over traps and such is the obvious way, but they could also be used to cover over ambush points. The only downside to that plan is that Quint would be the only one who could see through the walls to initiate the ambush, everyone else would have to guess where they want to aim at. Thoughts?

Thattaman
2012-11-01, 03:13 PM
As much as blind fireball slinging sounds fun, I think that would handicap us more than help us.

Angstrom
2012-11-01, 07:23 PM
Hal is totally in support of Quint filling the lower levels with illusory walls. Concealing doors, hallways, and generally everything is fine for us since every member can cast detect magic/thoughts. If our characters learn the locations of the walls (with our high int I think its possible) we can use the walls as either ambush points to ready our casting behing before 5ft stepping out to blast opponents.

Mudmen would be ok. Hal is all about the nightmares though. Really, let's just summon everything, they're all better than the skeletons. My feeling on undead is that bigger is better. If Hal can find large creatures to guard our halls perfect. Skeletons with shortswords are useless for anything besides slowing our enemies down, but archers are always better at that. It wouldn't be that hard to construct fortified redoubts on the pathway up and fill them with archers. Undead archers means we can leave them with only arrowslits and not have to worry about a door. We can stoneshape them in hard to reach locations (like next to the balcony) to make it so invaders either suffer a continuous hail of arrows or have to waste their offensive power breaking our minions.

Since Hal wants guardians, he'll ask that one of the organisations actions in the first two weeks be Hunt Beasts. If the boggards count as part of the organization he'll ask them to do it. Hal and Van will lead the expedition to lend bonuses (or just sufficient spellcasting to capture andy cr4 beast by themselves). What creatures does the action let us get?

Snowfire
2012-11-01, 07:31 PM
I am calling two Legitimate Business actions if possible for setting up Ye Olde Adventurer's Shoppe (not actual name) in Farholde. Also, I will have something regarding "Going to Farholde" up after sleep. Sorry about the delay.

Razorstorm
2012-11-01, 08:00 PM
Do we have any communication method to reach out Elise/Baron? I would like to send the request for dinner.

Victor is interested in cementing a relationship of "classy subterfuge".

Snowfire
2012-11-01, 08:02 PM
Do we have any communication method to reach out Elise/Baron? I would like to send the request for dinner.

Victor is interested in cementing a relationship of "classy subterfuge".

Right with you there, pal :smallbiggrin: Honest, pal, this really isn't a ritual dagger I'm holding

Angstrom
2012-11-01, 09:37 PM
I am calling two Legitimate Business actions if possible for setting up Ye Olde Adventurer's Shoppe (not actual name) in Farholde. Also, I will have something regarding "Going to Farholde" up after sleep. Sorry about the delay.

With 8 actions, how about 4 to legitimate and 4 to gathering information? The boggards probably shouldn't try to help with our legitimate business ventures so I hope you don't mind if Hal uses them as planned.

I like the adventuring shop idea. It gives us a good cover to order supplies en masse, or weird specialty items we might need. Can we say that the two of you in Farholde are in charge of getting us 12 war hounds and 6 heavy horses? More if cohorts can be part of the ritual.

Cloudsmeet
2012-11-01, 10:10 PM
Right with you there, pal :smallbiggrin: Honest, pal, this really isn't a ritual dagger I'm holding

I'm in too. As I said, I need to get to know our allies in Farholde.

Thattaman
2012-11-02, 03:17 AM
I agree, we should arrange some kind of dinner party, with all of us. Kydrak won't be too rude, I promise. A shop idea sounds pretty fun, it would be obvious why we're in Farholde. If only we had an enchanter with us, then we could charm people into giving us more money, or if they see something they shouldn't. But what would we sell there? We don't have a load of mundane equipment that common people would really like.

Snowfire
2012-11-02, 07:12 AM
I agree, we should arrange some kind of dinner party, with all of us. Kydrak won't be too rude, I promise. A shop idea sounds pretty fun, it would be obvious why we're in Farholde. If only we had an enchanter with us, then we could charm people into giving us more money, or if they see something they shouldn't. But what would we sell there? We don't have a load of mundane equipment that common people would really like.

I disagree. We need to leave at least a few people at the Horn.

As for what we'll sell? We don't need to specify. It gets covered under the Legitimate Business action :smallwink:

And I'd say two/three Gather Information actions and the same number of Legitimate Business actions. The rest we can use for whatever. Like maybe concealing our network.

For dinner party, I'd say a maximum of three PCs and their cohorts - if they have them - to prevent too much attention being drawn. I know Hal doesn't want to go due to his last...interaction with Elsie and the Baron, and I would argue that the new recruits get priority here - due to needing to get to know their associates.

My personal preference is Victor, Ilvaria and Kin. Victor and Ilvaria for basically coming up with the idea, and Kin because he needs to get to know the other resources we can draw upon. Post will be up this afternoon.

Maugan Ra
2012-11-02, 08:53 AM
Yeah, you get a 'Boggard' action each week as well. I can set those towards hunting down various jungle beasts, and put your minion actions towards Gather Information and Legitimate Business.

Then we'll have this lovely interaction with the Baron and Elise. Oh, and I'll put up the rituals as well, seeing as everyone seems cool with performing those. Summoned beasts for everyone!

Snowfire
2012-11-02, 09:19 AM
Ok, actions...

Minion network:
Lay Low x1 (Quint/Il'Tara, if up for it, aiding)
Training (Connections) x1 (Possibly Kydary aiding)
Training (Espionage) x1 (Il'Tara/Reyna aiding)
Gather Information x2 (Mira aiding)
Legitimate Business x2 (Mira aiding)
Guard Duty x1

Boggards:

Hunt Beasts x1 (Hal & Van aiding)

That seem ok for everyone?

Cloudsmeet
2012-11-02, 09:30 AM
My personal preference is Victor, Ilvaria and Kin. Victor and Ilvaria for basically coming up with the idea, and Kin because he needs to get to know the other resources we can draw upon. Post will be up this afternoon.

Yay, I'm wanted.

Ok, actions...

Minion network:
Guard Duty x1

Boggards:

And then us three at the Baron's for dinner. If we have time, Kin will assist with Legitimate Business, because I am amused by the idea of him pretending to be a shopkeeper.

On that note, Maugan Ra, I was wondering whether I could switch all my skill points in bluff to diplomacy, as he's never bluffed before but he's been very diplomatic at times (successfully as well, despite his +0 modifier) and it really would make sense. It's a net loss for me, as bluff is a class skill while diplomacy is not and we don't tend to roll for social interaction that much but it annoys me to know that my character sheet doesn't quite reflect the character I'm playing.

Angstrom
2012-11-02, 10:48 AM
Minion network:
Guard Duty x1

Boggards:

My only suggestions would be for no guard duty, and more training. Hal is against even our puppets knowing our purpose. No reason for them to know we're the reason for the light in the sky (we just imply it mysteriously). If Mira is going to be staying with them, I would suggest she train loyalty too. If we're gathering information, can we find out if there are any undead in the area?

Oh, and two weeks for two boggard hunting trips. What would these jungle beasts be?

Y'know, it wouldn't be too hard to sell poison to adventurers going to the Horn as potions of cure X wounds with a magical aura attached.

Cloudsmeet
2012-11-02, 10:52 AM
Y'know, it wouldn't be too hard to sell poison to adventurers going to the Horn as potions of cure X wounds with a magical aura attached.

But if anything goes wrong, it would likely be traced back to our shop. It's hardly under the shield of 'legitimate business' as well :smallbiggrin:

Maugan Ra
2012-11-02, 11:12 AM
Ok, actions...

Minion network:
Guard Duty x1

Boggards:

Training and laying low are used for increasing your Organisation's stats to a maximum of +0. They're more for undoing losses and unwanted exposure than just upgrading your forces.

Also, a character can only aid one action a week, and if they're doing that, they're unavailable for the rest of the week as well. I'll put down the mix of legitimate business and gather information checks for this period.

Hunting rolls:
[roll0] for [roll1]
[roll2] for [roll3]

Legitimate business rolls:
[roll4] for [roll5]
[roll6] for [roll7]
[roll8] for [roll9]
[roll10] for [roll11]
(I'm mentally adding on individual bonuses where necessary, to speed things up)

Gather Information rolls:
(These, I'll mostly just assume gather decent numbers of results from the rumors table. For future reference, the action can also be used to answer specific questions)

Snowfire
2012-11-02, 11:27 AM
But if anything goes wrong, it would likely be traced back to our shop. It's hardly under the shield of 'legitimate business' as well :smallbiggrin:

Yeah, I agree with this. We'll sell legitimate gear. Sabotage will be something that we can - maybe - expand into later.

As for Guard duty, you have a point there - but encounters do not necessarily have to be made up of living beings...

However, with what Maugan has clarified there, that gives us six extra actions to work with. Considering dinner party plan thing, I think Ilvaria will pose as a full noble with Mira as the on-the-ground senior. So Ilvaria can help a little with those Gather Information rolls (as she'll be spending most of the first week in Farholde under disguise putting together the beginnings of the adventurer's supply outpost - really need to work out a name). She'll be focusing the organisation on locating any other underground networks within the settlement and discovering their basic goals.

Dinner party prep post in-progress.

Maugan Ra
2012-11-02, 11:28 AM
Your legitimate business manages to gain you 560 gold pieces worth of profit over the two weeks, and increases your minions connections score to a total of +3.

The Boggards manage to capture a giant Scorpion, which they presently have chained up in the caves.

Rumors gathered:
- General sentiment about the town is that with Lord Welshire having gone off to war, and taking most of the garrison with him, Farholde is defenseless.

- Baron Vandermir is generally seen as a wonderful and generous person who takes care of the orphans. A pity that so many of them seem to repay his generosity by becoming thugs and general menaces to society...

- The Sisters of Saint Synthia-Celestile, a local order of Mitran nuns, are well thought of in town, and maintain an Abbey there. Interestingly, one of their most famous relics is the weapon of a powerful devil slain by their founder, presently displayed in silver chains in the Abbey's main hall.

- Rumour has it that the flash of green light from the Horn has attracted official scrutiny from the Church of Mitra. Lord Valin Darian has apparently sent for an Inquisitor...

Snowfire
2012-11-02, 11:44 AM
Hrm...

Ok, so should we choose other actions to take the place of the Training ones? Or did you do that for us?

That aside, this....could be good. I always wanted a pet Inquisitor :smallbiggrin:

I'm thinking that I'm going to float the idea of brutally murdering the current commander of the Garrison at the dinner party, just to see reactions from our allies. Better yet, sow dissension and heresy in what's left of his command to the point that the Inquisitor executes him for corruption (unlikely, I know, but could be fun).

Getting a fanatical church system to do our dirty work for us is always fun (is the Mitran church that fanatical in places?)

Maugan Ra
2012-11-02, 11:52 AM
The current commander of the Garrison, Sir Victor Darian, is the required third sacrifice for the ritual due to his blood connection with the king that originally banished Vetra Kali. So you're already intending to brutally murder him, just in a specific way...

The Mitran church can be very fanatical. Mitra has three aspects: The Shining Lord, the Beneficent Sun and the Fire Undying. In his first aspect, he is glorious and inspiring, and is primarily worshipped by soldiers and heroes of all stripes. In his second aspect, he is nourishing and healing, and is worshipped by healers and charitable folks.

In his aspect as the Fire Undying, he is harsh and merciless towards the forces of evil, burning them to ash. This is the aspect favoured by Inquisitors and other fanatics.

And yes, I did chose other actions for you. I'll generally do that, since it keeps the game running smoothly.

Snowfire
2012-11-02, 12:02 PM
The current commander of the Garrison, Sir Victor Darian, is the required third sacrifice for the ritual due to his blood connection with the king that originally banished Vetra Kali. So you're already intending to brutally murder him, just in a specific way...

The Mitran church can be very fanatical. Mitra has three aspects: The Shining Lord, the Beneficent Sun and the Fire Undying. In his first aspect, he is glorious and inspiring, and is primarily worshipped by soldiers and heroes of all stripes. In his second aspect, he is nourishing and healing, and is worshipped by healers and charitable folks.

In his aspect as the Fire Undying, he is harsh and merciless towards the forces of evil, burning them to ash. This is the aspect favoured by Inquisitors and other fanatics.

And yes, I did chose other actions for you. I'll generally do that, since it keeps the game running smoothly.

Gotcha. Thanks. Ok, that makes things simpler. Will put full focus for this game back on my IC post then.

Angstrom
2012-11-02, 12:18 PM
That aside, this....could be good. I always wanted a pet Inquisitor :smallbiggrin:

You don't want this one...

Maugan:
Buddy's Commune re Harkon. Is he coming to the Horn? Does he know Van and Hal are alive? All questions dedicated to learning Harkon's location and intention.

Following that, organisation gather information on the incoming inquisitor.

If it ends up being Harkon. I'll throw up an IC for Hal's reaction and put the Horn on full alert.

Depending on whether a zombie scorpion keeps tremorsense or not, I may animate it and put it with the mud elementals in the mud pit room once Quint coats the entire area in illusory walls.

Snowfire
2012-11-02, 12:24 PM
You don't want this one...

Oh but I do :belkar:

Maugan Ra
2012-11-02, 12:25 PM
Angstrom - Respectively, yes and no.

Any future information gathering checks will have to wait for now, until after the posted meeting with Elise and the Baron etc.

Maugan Ra
2012-11-02, 01:19 PM
That's your outsiders summoned. A total of 1,080xp for each of you for that, so congratulations! Everyone now has two hell hounds and a Nightmare each, presently being kept in the Caves by some very nervous Boggards.

Now just waiting on Snowfire for that intro post in going to the nice little meeting.

Snowfire
2012-11-02, 03:21 PM
That's your outsiders summoned. A total of 1,080xp for each of you for that, so congratulations! Everyone now has two hell hounds and a Nightmare each, presently being kept in the Caves by some very nervous Boggards.

Now just waiting on Snowfire for that intro post in going to the nice little meeting.

Sorry about the delay on this. Study + cooking + dinner + misc. distractions = long time to write post. Done now though! :smallsmile:

Thattaman
2012-11-02, 04:45 PM
I think I may have three organization points to spend, so any sugggestions as to what to put them in. If you let Kydrak choose to put them in, he'll probably just set up a hunting team that would capture elves, so that he could painfully kill them. If Caldrel's allowed then it could be a bonding experience. Remeber those days with your brother, when you spen an entire day torturing people, for pure sick pleasure? Good times were had by all. Also, can Kydrak be put in charge of torturing information out of people? He'd massively enjoy that.

Edit: @Snowfire, I just read your post and Kydrak would like to go to the meeting/planning session/dinner event, he is very experienced with all that nobility stuff. He spent the first 25 years of his life, going to those kind of meetings with extremely rich and influencial elven nobles. Although Kydrak likes to reject that part of his life, he still likes to act like a noble, he dresses like one and knows exactly how to act. If you read our first meeting with the Baron, Kydrak behaved himself and acted like a proper nobleman suggesting things calmly and he can make himself more persuasive, using magic.

Snowfire
2012-11-02, 05:09 PM
Edit: @Snowfire, I just read your post and Kydrak would like to go to the meeting/planning session/dinner event, he is very experienced with all that nobility stuff. He spent the first 25 years of his life, going to those kind of meetings with extremely rich and influencial elven nobles. Although Kydrak likes to reject that part of his life, he still likes to act like a noble, he dresses like one and knows exactly how to act. If you read our first meeting with the Baron, Kydrak behaved himself and acted like a proper nobleman suggesting things calmly and he can make himself more persuasive, using magic.

The issue there is that Kydark has shown almost none of that to Ilavaria. Yes, I - the player - know this. Ilvaria doesn't. So unless one of the other characters - probably Victor - recommends that they take him along, she won't.

Maugan Ra
2012-11-02, 07:34 PM
I'll put two points into Ruthless and one into Survivability, then, to represent Kydrak's contributions. That'll make a decently well rounded organisation.

Angstrom
2012-11-02, 08:22 PM
Angstrom - Respectively, yes and no.

Any future information gathering checks will have to wait for now, until after the posted meeting with Elise and the Baron etc.

When the dinner group gets back from Farholde with the information Hal will Commune. I'll post up an IC freak out at that time. Harkon is written into both of my characters' backstories so I may dialogue with myself.

I suppose in the meantime , Hal is going to go on a couple night rides on Moon, his nightmare. If someone is willing to lend Van theirs she'd like that.

Note on the repurposing rooms in the Horn:
Hal and Van have taken up residence on the 3rd level in the High Priest's Chambers and the attached library. He has turned the Meditation Hall into a War Room and the guardroom into a stable for Moon. His Hellhounds wait by the capture cage on the first level until he calls for them.

Two communication pipes. I'll estimate it takes Van a week to stoneshape the pipes up to the Sanctum. She shapes two speaking Horns at each end to increase their effectiveness. One pipe connects the Sanctum and War Room on an angle, the other goes straight down to the Library, where Hal sleeps and crafts.

Van will stone shape a door connecting the Library to the stairs for those times when Hexor and Vexor are unavailable, and will kill the scorpion and animate it as a fast zombie. The zombie scorpion is instructed to wait at the top of the stairs to the sanctum and attack anyone not in the party. For these purposes the party includes the cohorts and the summons.

Snowfire
2012-11-02, 09:24 PM
And whups. Add 4 to Ilvaria's Knowledge (Local) check (I forgot I put a rank in that skill). Also, further knowledge for knowledge's sake:

Knowledge (Nobility): [roll0]
Knowledge (Planes): [roll1]

And Diplomacy to try and make things go reasonably smooth: [roll2]

Actually, on the subject of Diplomacy - and with the current situation being one in which Ilvaria is neither in immediate danger nor distracted, may I actually have taken 10 on that diplomacy check?

Comissar
2012-11-03, 03:38 AM
Quint's just going to be creating those ambush pockets along the ground floor entrance. When they're completed, he'll move on to covering over doors and various other entrances around the Horn, starting with the most important (i.e. the on leading to the sanctum) and working his way down to least important (doors leading to store rooms etc.). It may be worth creating personal maps so that everyone else is still able to find their way around.

Thattaman
2012-11-03, 03:43 AM
I'll put two points into Ruthless and one into Survivability, then, to represent Kydrak's contributions. That'll make a decently well rounded organisation.

Yeah, OK; thanks.

Edit: How many alive captives do we have from the first attack? I would like to make a ruthless check to torture information out of them, if that would be fine. If we've got two points in ruthless then it should be easier.

Maugan Ra
2012-11-03, 10:42 AM
Yeah, OK; thanks.

Edit: How many alive captives do we have from the first attack? I would like to make a ruthless check to torture information out of them, if that would be fine. If we've got two points in ruthless then it should be easier.

They're dead. Hexor and Vexor killed them in their cells. Hal had a few words with them, but they seemed fairly unrepentant. Would Kydrak like to have a go?

Thattaman
2012-11-03, 11:34 AM
They're dead. Hexor and Vexor killed them in their cells. Hal had a few words with them, but they seemed fairly unrepentant. Would Kydrak like to have a go?

I don't see how I can torture dead things, but if they were alive, Kydrak has a very disturbing way of torture. Basically he cuts bits of them off, either forces them to eat it, gets one of their allies to do it, or simply eats is himself. The main reason I took battleshaping as an ability is so that I can practically eat people.

Snowfire
2012-11-03, 03:46 PM
Ok, so I am going to give Victor and Kin's players a day to put in any responses of their own then I will put something up tomorrow night.

Also, Thattaman? I think you misinterpreted. I believe Maugan was meaning "Does Kydark want to have a go telling off the two Greater Ceustodaemons?" :smallwink::smalltongue:

Also, did I get anything from the Sense motive and misc. Knowledge rolls? Just looking for general information on the people in the room with them - and the general tenor of their reaction.

Maugan Ra
2012-11-03, 06:07 PM
Well, with the knowledge checks you recognize the silver pendent as being a variant of the Asmodean pentacle, though not a commonly known one. The sense motive doesn't get much other than a sense of guarded curiousity from any of the attendees, though the Knowledge (Local) checks allows you to realise that Elise has likely been operating out of a particular inn in Farholde. Setting up a spy network of sorts, really.

Angstrom
2012-11-05, 08:28 PM
Quint's just going to be creating those ambush pockets along the ground floor entrance. When they're completed, he'll move on to covering over doors and various other entrances around the Horn, starting with the most important (i.e. the on leading to the sanctum) and working his way down to least important (doors leading to store rooms etc.). It may be worth creating personal maps so that everyone else is still able to find their way around.

Hal will definitely make a map. The sanctum should probably have a material barrier. Depending on the size of the opening, I'd be willing to dedicate a week of Van's stone shaping to putting a few feet of stone over the hole.

Maugan Ra
2012-11-05, 11:10 PM
So. Anyone going to be speaking to the Baron and the Knot Hibernal?

*brandishes stick of encouragement*

Maugan Ra
2012-11-07, 02:29 PM
Apparently, people have not been encouraged. Hmm. Well, I'll give it a little longer - if no one else posts for the group visiting the Baron, I'll move us on to the next event. Which is quite possibly Hal freaking out about the Inquisitor.

Snowfire
2012-11-07, 02:53 PM
Will have post up in the next 24 hours. Apologiea on the delay.

Razorstorm
2012-11-07, 02:53 PM
Wait... Inquisitor?

Thattaman
2012-11-07, 03:18 PM
I just waiting to be snagged by a plot hook. Also, about the brother/cohort, I know I'm not really allowed him, but seen as I've already entered it in, can I have him, but he won't be in combat until I'm allowed him in combat.

Comissar
2012-11-07, 03:37 PM
I think Quint's invite to the tea party got lost in the post :smalltongue:

Maugan Ra
2012-11-07, 03:38 PM
Yes, Inquisitor. One of the Gather Information checks made by the minions revealed that there was apparently one inbound to investigate what was going on with the giant pillar of green fire around the Horn. Hal knows him as well.

Actually, I think I'll make a post for people not presently at the party, as things happen at the Horn. Nothing too major, but could well be important.

And I'll allow the evil twin brother cohort. If only because it will amuse me when you inevitably do something unwise and get him killed in turn :smalltongue:

Snowfire
2012-11-07, 03:57 PM
I think Quint's invite to the tea party got lost in the post :smalltongue:

Ilvaria was of the opinion that at least half the party should stay at the Horn to ensure that no one tried to get in whilst we were away. Yes, sure, we've got some minion protector people. But Ilvaria doesn't quite trust them - for reasons that should be quite apparent :smallamused:

Maugan Ra
2012-11-07, 06:46 PM
As clarification, you did have someone watching the scrying gems. They didn't see anything. Which could well tell you a few things in it's own right.

Also, the assumption is that Hexor found you all and moved you together with his at-will Dimension Door, if necessary. They refuse to work as servants to shuttle you around, but neither of them have complained so far when things seem important.

(Which is a way of saying 'feel free to make use of it in combat')

Angstrom
2012-11-07, 06:59 PM
I'm working under the assumption that Hal finds out about the Inquisitor from Ilvaria when she returns with the Gather Information results and that at this point he has no reason to expect Harkon. He is assuming this is the Lillend coming back to free/avenge the prisoners.

What time of day is it? Would Van have already cast two stone shapes/animate deads? Even though I never explicitly posted it, can we say that Hal has her casting those spells right before she prays for new spells? Hal is tactical enough to realize the wisdom in doing so. She can spontaneously convert those spells to bestow curses so having them available is extremely useful.

Maugan Ra
2012-11-07, 07:08 PM
I'm fine with you choosing the best time to pray and restore spells.

And yes, I had almost forgotten that people agreed to the skeletons being reanimated as a standing force. It's been two weeks, so chances are you'll have reanimated them all if you want. Please tell me how many you want reanimated (so I can deduct the cost from your outstanding funds) and where they're being stationed. Obviously it helps for the GM to know where the guards are in the case of infiltrating good guys.

(And if I could get a complete list of what modifications you're making to the Horn with Stone Shape etc, I can update the maps. I don't want to miss anything. Send it by PM if you need to, bullet points preferred)

Angstrom
2012-11-07, 07:47 PM
These are my suggestions for the undead, other people can have whatever they want. For now, I'm against animating all of the bone pit. Currently, just animating one archer per arrowslit is enough. How many that is, I don't know. The three serving as stewards for Hal are from the pit as well.

These will be Hal's defensive 'suggestions':
Animate the elves as skeletal archer variants and place them in the 1st level's guardrooms, standing at attention by the arrowslits with a attack command against anyone not in the party. The four former-captives and the dead watch captain will be animated as bloody skeletons. Two with tower shields, three with reach-weapons and bucklers to block the first floor hallway. The shieldbearers have a total defence command and the three pikers are instructed to ready their weapons against chargers, attacking anyone within reach.

The giant scorpion will be animated as a bloody (exo)skeleton as well. Put at the second floor entrance-hall with orders to bull rush people into the pit trap, and block intruders for Artephius who will also be stationed there, behind the wall. Artephius can hurl bombs indiscriminately since the scorpion is immune to cold, and heals. The main reasons I'm touting bloody skeletons is that they have channel resistance and can regenerate if not destroyed by positive energy.

I'll PM a stoneshaping build order once I've got a timeline for it worked out.

Maugan Ra
2012-11-07, 08:30 PM
Each guard room has half a dozen arrow slits in the wall, for a total of 24. Acquiring that many bows should be easy enough, with the added benefit of the six you already have from the elves. I'll call this as the assumed deployment so far, since Van is the one doing the animating.

Good call on the bloody skeletal variants, especially since they usually repair themselves if destroyed - resources and all that. I'm somewhat curious as to why you're not animating as many as you can, especially since the desecration effect makes undead stronger and you're reluctant to involve mortal allies in this one, but it's up to you.

Angstrom
2012-11-07, 09:36 PM
Those two suits of magic armour that were discovered when we looted the place, can we give those to the skeletons of the adventurers. As for why I haven't asked to animate the whole group, gold ain't easy to come by. Hal is one of six characters who wants to spend from our treasury and is no longer generating the soul points to spend freely. Undead are expensive at 50gp/HD and Hal is a clockwork kind of guy. No need for unnecessary cogs in the machine. With the demand for items high, I'm reluctant to drop a large chunk of our treasury on one project.

Since no one else has expressed interest/encouragement for animating dead, Hal hasn't been given any reason to think its okay for him to animate the entire bone pit. If, for example, Kin wanted a personal squad of bloody skeletons to mob enemies while he hit them with frostballs (which the skeletons are immune to) Hal will gladly make them. If we want skeletons with a command to push a large stone down the stairs leading from the caves to the sanctum if they hear intruders, someone say so.

How about 18 more archer skeletons for now to fill the guardposts and a dozen with pikes to man the cells. I'm referring to the ones where the pit traps drop intruders. A powerful opponent may be able to break free if they don't die from the fall, so a few spears to the gut should be enough to drop them to negatives. As the weeks go, Hal would like as many Boggard actions as possible going to procuring beasts. In the stoneshape message I'll include animating more to man the balcony areas.

Thattaman
2012-11-08, 11:53 AM
Do you need more skeletons? Does this mean that I can go elf-hunting and actaully benefit the group? I'm in.

Angstrom
2012-11-08, 01:20 PM
Buddy's Perception using Hal's modifier: [roll0]

Maugan Ra
2012-11-08, 10:28 PM
And... here we go. No line of sight on whatever's responsible for this, but they're evidently at the landing where the staircase leading up to the Sanctum begins.

And either Hexor or Vexor has gone ominously quiet...

So, those of you who are in the Horn, please post your actions. Those of you currently at the Baron's place, well, there's still a lovely conversation to have.

Angstrom
2012-11-09, 01:23 AM
So its Hal and Van, Quint and Il'Tara, and the evil twins vs celestials capable of taking out a greater ceustodaemon just like that? Doesn't bode well for sending my cohort running straight at them.

Deployment questions: How long will it take to get down to the landing? Are the Hellhounds, Ezra, and the wraithspawn down there too?

Angstrom
2012-11-09, 02:54 AM
Mirror Image: [roll0]

Razorstorm
2012-11-09, 08:44 PM
I just got caught up. Holy crap holy crap holy crap!

Thattaman
2012-11-10, 04:15 AM
Oh, well this looks hard. Time to put the terrible twosome into action.

Comissar
2012-11-10, 07:05 AM
Burning hands roll is a bit on the low side there, ah well.

Razorstorm
2012-11-10, 10:39 AM
Aw dude you killed my silent cheerful montage contrasted with the combat scene joke! :-)

Cloudsmeet
2012-11-10, 10:43 AM
Don't worry, I got your joke long before Maugan came along and ruined it :smalltongue:

On a side not, Kin is totally having the strangest feeling that he should be somewhere else right now, despite having the party going well so far.

Maugan Ra
2012-11-10, 10:43 AM
Aw dude you killed my silent cheerful montage contrasted with the combat scene joke! :-)

Such are the sacrifices one must make to walk the Way of the Wicked. :smalltongue:

Maugan Ra
2012-11-10, 10:50 AM
Also, I have obtained the fifth book in this series now, which is quite interesting and promises to be fun if we ever reach that point. It's honestly not too hard to guess what happens in it... The name 'The devil, my only master' is quite indicative. :smallwink:

Right now, I'm much more invested in seeing if I can keep this going until the next book, The Tears of the Blessed. Mostly because it involves you lot raising a full scale, legitimate evil army and burning down the fantasy-Vatican. Which lets me indulge my penchant for hilarious over-acting to the fullest extent.

(Not so much as book 4, I admit. Black Dragons can be surprisingly hammy...)

Cloudsmeet
2012-11-10, 11:13 AM
Why is it that every post you make about the future of this campaign fills me with dread?

While burning down the fantasy-Vatican (and looting all the melted gold thereof) sounds fun, I suspect that there are powerful forces of Good with a vested interest in keeping the fantasy-Vatican intact and who won't appreciate our efforts. Despite the fact that our attempt to destroy them is clearly indicative of our fear of the gods they serve, which is totally a form of worship and respect, right :smallwink:?

Also, dibs on using the charred remains of the fantasy-Vatican as a barbeque in the aftermath of the battle, just because I can.

Cloudsmeet
2012-11-10, 11:26 AM
Just a quick question, but do we refer to spell names as they are? So, for example, could I tell the Baron that I might cast Hold Person on him, or Tasha's Hideous Laughter and he might know what I mean? Or is wizardry a more esoteric art that has had each spell named and simplified into a single spell rather than multiple spells that do the same thing in different ways according to their authors understanding of magical theorem etc.

That second part may not make much sense, and the question isn't very quick anymore, but eh.

Maugan Ra
2012-11-10, 11:33 AM
Why is it that every post you make about the future of this campaign fills me with dread?

Practice, and a casual interest in psychology.

Wizardry is a fairly esoteric art, and while there are schools of thought and practice, it's mostly a matter of individual application. Generally, discussions among wizards tend to stick to describing general effects of different spells, rather than intricate specifics.

The Baron is a spell caster, but he's not a wizard. He'll understand you in broad terms, where needed. That said, he would prefer to avoid being hit with anything quite as undignified as Hideous Laughter :smalltongue:

Comissar
2012-11-10, 11:38 AM
That said, he would prefer to avoid being hit with anything quite as undignified as Hideous Laughter :smalltongue:

I can't help thinking that would be a good way to "take him out" though, please try to persuade him otherwise :smallbiggrin:

Thattaman
2012-11-10, 05:20 PM
@Maugan I was just looking at the first post and I realised a lot of things.

First, you haven't put the schools of wizardry for the three new addtitions to the group (you're not really new editions, just newer.

Second, you haven't put my cohort on the first post.

Third, We actually have all this detail on the first post, I really should have checked. This realisation came to me mid-way through checking

And finally, we have summoned mosters! I think I was on holiday in Oxford when they summoned, but that's so COOL, for the fight I bring my nightmare and both the hell hounds.

Comissar
2012-11-10, 05:37 PM
for the fight I bring my nightmare and both the hell hounds.

Inb4themonstersgetkilledinanamusingway

Snowfire
2012-11-12, 12:49 PM
Sooo...would it be perhaps reasonable to hope that Ilvaria is off the 'backstab the moment we get the chance' list for Elsie and the Baron? :smalltongue:

Perhaps?

Comissar
2012-11-12, 02:29 PM
Best Acid Arrow :smallannoyed:

Dice rolls hate me right now.

Angstrom
2012-11-14, 12:20 AM
I knew I'd miss my turn. I was hiking for most of yesterday and had an important presentation today so yeah, saw that coming. A shame, but not that bad since my previous turn went perfectly.

Hal's missing Caster Check for the second Dog to be targeted by the slow spell. [roll0]

Commissar: so Van cast Instrument of Agony (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/i/instrument-of-agony) on Il'Tara's rapier, but never explained what it does. Should have said something so she could have used it on that last hit.

Maugan Ra
2012-11-15, 12:55 AM
As noted in the thread, two weeks until the party and the next event. Please consider your actions.

Also, I still need a list of the stone shaping changes made to the Horn. Some of the next adventurers are rather more likely to actually make it inside.

Comissar
2012-11-15, 06:49 PM
Quint is going to continue to throw Illusory Walls up around the place in the manner I described earlier.

In other news, I'm going to be unavailable this weekend. I'll be back late Sunday but likely won't be posting until Monday.

Angstrom
2012-11-15, 11:25 PM
This is way overdue, so here goes. Party opinion obviously determines whether any of these get built.

Doorway from Hal's workshop (the library) to the landing that leads to the sanctum.

Tubes for communicating between the sanctum, Hal's workshop, and the War Room.

Doorway from the guardroom next to Hal's room to the landing.

Close off the stairwell leading down to the boggard caves. The Moon Demonstrated that it is a potential liability for us. First though, we should check the length to see how the Dogs got in. I want to know if the mud-men were any use or if they just blasted through in one of the lower levels.

In the guardroom leading to the landing, install a starfountain trap. Move the party of bloody skeletons up from the first level and have them guard the landing.

On either side of the balcony on the third floor, create shelfs for skeletal archers. Install a brass gong for them to ring if they see anyone on either side. Fill each shelf with archers and wall them off so that only arrow slits remain.

Depending on party opinion, more starfountain traps. The intersection of the three hallways on the second level, in front of the Fane of the Three-Eyed Prince on the third floor, and in the entrance hallways of the lower two floors all seem like good candidates.

Portcullis over balcony entrance.

In terms of other stuff, can I get another list of crafting stuff from the group. Its difficult to recall exactly who got what already. Specifically Thattaman, what Ioun Stones are you after.

Two weeks = two more boggard actions to hunt beasts for our defences. Hal would like the organisation researching the Inquisitor. When is he arriving, how many does he bring with him, what tactics does he employ, etc.

Would one of the party goers like to help IC Hal receiving the information about Harkon? Preferably someone he trusts, relatively speaking, since he'd like a run down of what the witch and her pet baron were up to.

Snowfire
2012-11-16, 06:04 AM
Eh, Ilvaria can tell him if you want. I'll throw something up in a bit.

Oh, and two Minion actions going on Gather Information focused respectively on the demonic weapon and the inquisitor.

Two on Legitimate Business for the shop.

The rest are up to you guys really.

Cloudsmeet
2012-11-16, 06:13 AM
I'm pretty sure that Thattaman's request for Ioun stones to stick in his face was a joke, or at least that's how I read it.

Kin'll help in the legitimate business area of things, as per usual.

Thattaman
2012-11-16, 03:38 PM
The Ioun stones were kind of a joke, but I would quite like some, any bonuses to abilities, especially Int.

Angstrom
2012-11-16, 05:47 PM
The Ioun stones were kind of a joke, but I would quite like some, any bonuses to abilities, especially Int.

I wasn't sure. Ever since I saw this (http://www.geekindustrialcomplex.com/articles/a-look-at-ioun-stones), I've wondered if making flawed ioun stones is a valid practice. If Hal can make flawed stones, then some of them are worth it. If he can't, we should stick with the headbands.

Thattaman
2012-11-17, 03:40 AM
I wasn't sure. Ever since I saw this (http://www.geekindustrialcomplex.com/articles/a-look-at-ioun-stones), I've wondered if making flawed ioun stones is a valid practice. If Hal can make flawed stones, then some of them are worth it. If he can't, we should stick with the headbands.

I'd rather get a headband, but if we have headbands of vast intelligence, then we can't wear our iron circlets, and I really like mine.

Maugan Ra
2012-11-17, 05:39 AM
This is way overdue, so here goes. Party opinion obviously determines whether any of these get built.

Doorway from Hal's workshop (the library) to the landing that leads to the sanctum.

Tubes for communicating between the sanctum, Hal's workshop, and the War Room.

Doorway from the guardroom next to Hal's room to the landing.

Close off the stairwell leading down to the boggard caves. The Moon Demonstrated that it is a potential liability for us. First though, we should check the length to see how the Dogs got in. I want to know if the mud-men were any use or if they just blasted through in one of the lower levels.

In the guardroom leading to the landing, install a starfountain trap. Move the party of bloody skeletons up from the first level and have them guard the landing.

On either side of the balcony on the third floor, create shelfs for skeletal archers. Install a brass gong for them to ring if they see anyone on either side. Fill each shelf with archers and wall them off so that only arrow slits remain.

Depending on party opinion, more starfountain traps. The intersection of the three hallways on the second level, in front of the Fane of the Three-Eyed Prince on the third floor, and in the entrance hallways of the lower two floors all seem like good candidates.

Portcullis over balcony entrance.

In terms of other stuff, can I get another list of crafting stuff from the group. Its difficult to recall exactly who got what already. Specifically Thattaman, what Ioun Stones are you after.

Two weeks = two more boggard actions to hunt beasts for our defences. Hal would like the organisation researching the Inquisitor. When is he arriving, how many does he bring with him, what tactics does he employ, etc.

Would one of the party goers like to help IC Hal receiving the information about Harkon? Preferably someone he trusts, relatively speaking, since he'd like a run down of what the witch and her pet baron were up to.

*cackles in a slightly mad fashion*

Ahem. Sorry. Where was I?

An investigation of the stairwell reveals the hidden door at the bottom standing open. The Mud Elementals apparently weren't able to do anything, which suggests that the Moon Dogs were invisible at the time of their entry. Still, closing off the stairwell is a valid option, and quite easy to achieve with Stone Shaping.

I'm just waiting on IC posts of the revelations about the Inquisitor, because at present very few of you actually know about it. Then you can get to planning. Also, the interesting responses that Hal has been getting from his Commune spells.

EDIT: Also, fair warning, my internet has been playing up somewhat lately, so my responses are likely to be slowed. And in December, I have a job that demands twelve hour shifts, which I do not expect to leave me with a great deal of time for games. I'll do my best to keep going, but expect a bit of a slow down.

Angstrom
2012-11-17, 11:28 AM
Weird that the mud elementals let them past. I had thought their tremorsense would have let them spot the dogs.

When Hal communed with Buddy's higher ups about Harkon he discovered that Harkon knows where we are, is bringing a group, and isn't planning on entering via the caves, the first level entrance, the second level entrance, or the balcony. That either means he doesn't have a plan yet, which Hal believes unlikely, or that he'll be coming in by some other way.

At Thattaman: the d20pfsrd leads me to believe you can have both a headband and a circlet.

Razorstorm
2012-11-19, 11:03 AM
Reyna will take guard duty during this time.

Victor is going to continue helping Hal develop the Horn. He wants to install some acid-spitting traps in addition to those starfountain traps, but he agrees with the locations. He's particularly concerned about the balcony, and how easily accessible it is to flying opponents, so he feels the portcullis is important there. He's also quite fond of his new Nightmare!

If he's not working on the Horn, he's working with Artephius, studying how he's built, in hopes of making more golems, and possibly enhancing him. He often has Artephius following him around the Horn as he does his rounds.

Thattaman
2012-11-19, 12:03 PM
For the next two weeks Kydrak tries to be more helpful than just killing elves in extremely painful ways. He lets Caldrel do that while he attempts to help Victor with Artephius the Golem and sees if any of his transmutation will work on it. And he even payed some attention to the traps, whilst working together, he tries to buddy up a bit more with Victor, knowing that if the party turn against each other, Quint annoys him and Ilvaria is definately not going to be his ally. But he and Victor had been slightly friendlier than he has been with any other person. He is not expecting the party to turn on each other, but with three new(ish) arrivals that he doesn't fully trust because he did not sign the same pact with them as he did with Victor, Quint and the late Schtein. Also, Ilvaria is elven and Hal doesn't worship Asmodeous, with Kin he is unsure about him. So Victor and he work together on some on the more mechanical parts on the horn.

Snowfire
2012-11-19, 12:13 PM
Ah, as a point - not that Kydrak may know this - Ilvaria at least signed the same contract as you lot. As in, the same bit of paper, with you signatures on it. Well...at least I presume so...

May have to ask the DM whose signatures she was actually signing besides...:smallamused:

Maugan Ra
2012-11-19, 04:29 PM
*looks entirely innocent*

Snowfire
2012-11-19, 04:45 PM
*looks entirely innocent*

George, may I have pm confirmation of whose signatures where on that piece of paper? As you know that I - being Ilvaria - would have checked. It's even stated in the PM I believe.

So...give. :smalltongue:

Angstrom
2012-11-20, 12:14 AM
If Kydrak wants he can have Hal's headband, the one that has ranks in craft trapmaking so he can help Victor and Ilvaria. Hal will craft another one and make a headband of inspired wisdom for Van too. I didn't spend all of her starting gold, so its not coming from the party treasury.

How were you planning on doing the spitting acid traps? Van can stoneshape reservoirs in the ceiling, but what was your trigger mechanism. I was also thinking we could stoneshape walls on the pit trap cells and fill those with acid, maybe spikes too. Not enough to drown but enough so that a prisoner is forced to hang from a railing or something. Enough to make trying to break out difficult.

If Kin is still looking for something to do, he could make up some scrolls of see invisibility. Those would certainly have been useful in that last encounter.

Finally, since we have nothing of value to us in the first floor, I was thinking of pulling back our minions and strengthening our guard in the sanctum. It takes way longer to go between the third floor and the sanctum than I thought, so having a couple party members living up there would be good too. One potential liability is that the throne in the first floor will still work. If someone who knows how to use it (Elise) attacks, its a pretty big weakness.

Starfountain Trap:
The idea to install them in key thoroughfares and area where we expect fighting is that, even if they aren't triggered by invaders, party members or allies can run over them (invisibly) and trigger the explosion while we hold them in the area. Installing them at bottlenecks where we can expect to hold attackers in melee is safer for this group than for most since its not like we'll ever actually be in melee.

260gp to make (assuming craft: alchemy checks succeed.)
Trigger is loose floor-tile. Pressure on tile shatters vial of alchemist's fire, which ignites the fountain's fuse causing it to fire as immediately as we can make it. 4 rounds. 20ft spread, d6 fire damage, DC15 Reflex to half damage and prevent blindness for 1d4 rounds and deafness for 1hr.

Angstrom
2012-11-21, 06:48 PM
So bloody skeletons will be made of the moon dogs and captured beasts (assuming there are bones left from the moon dogs), but first I was wondering if we could augment the hydra a bit. Assuming this is the standard five-headed variety, Hal would let have the Boggard hunters that captured it take those five heads as trophies and only kill/animate it once it has grown ten heads.

As a bloody skeleton it will be plenty dangerous. I'm thinking it would make a pretty suitable guard for the Sanctum. Its too large to guard 10ft hallways.

The Moon Dogs and Tazlwyrms will be bloody skeletized and kept alongside the hellhounds as pets/flanking buddies for Van.

Question about the first floor throne: is there a way to turn it off? If there isn't Van will wall it off with a stoneshaped shell that appears to be a daemonic statue. I may have missed this, but is there a throne on the third floor and another in the Sanctum? It would have come in handy during that last fight to teleport down to the third floor instead of charging down the stairs.

Maugan Ra
2012-11-21, 11:12 PM
You can cut up the Hydra enough to make it a 10-headed variety if you want.

There's no way to turn the Thrones off... well, there might be. But historically, messing with powerful magic that's built into the very structure of the temple around you tends to end badly.

There are thrones on the first, second and third floors. None in the Sanctum - with the modifications you made, the only way into the Sanctum is by entering that landing via the third floor and then walking up the stairs. Or flying up, I suppose.

Angstrom
2012-11-22, 12:23 AM
10-headed door guard it is then. If the Sanctum is that isolated, then putting the hydra there is kind of a waste. Its still possible that invaders would just blast through the walls of the sanctum, but I'm doubting that will happen. Let's say the Hydra stands at attention in the third floor hallway, outside the War Room. Is it even possible for Hexor to carry it with dimension door?

Do people want Van to encase the first floor throne? We could always have Quint throw illusory walls over the dais instead. I'm sort of playing this out of sequence since Hal hasn't learned about Father Harkon, but when he does he's going to want to consolidate our forces as much as possible.

I should admit that, as a player, part of my justification for grouping all of our beasts together is that I want the next fight to be epic. The last couple fights were short, but for a backstory-relevant event like this, I'm tempted to set it up to be a major battle.

Maugan Ra
2012-11-22, 01:55 AM
We're a good week or two onwards now, past the meeting with the Baron. So Hal can have found out that Harkon is on his way... though the Inquisitor isn't here yet. You'll probably be able to kidnap Victor Darian before he shows up.

Also, I just realised that it's not a 'Throne' as such on the Third Floor, it's a ritual circle in the meditation chamber/war room. Which does help you with rapidly repositioning once you've worked out where the enemy are.

Anyway, feel free to make that IC post of Hal discovering that Harkon is inbound.

Angstrom
2012-11-22, 02:28 AM
As part of knowing that Harkon is coming, Hal is going to opt out of kidnapping Darian. Harkon is the only thing that matters to him right now. Darian won't be needed until months from now, we'll have plenty more opportunities before then. Better to have him unaware of his importance. Anyways, as far as Hal's concerned Farholde should be treated as enemy soil so he'll be staying behind to guard the Horn. He half expects that Elise is setting us up anyways.

Does the circle let us teleport to anywhere we want or is it more about teleporting us en masse?

Comissar
2012-11-22, 03:47 AM
If we're worried about one of the thrones being used against us, why not seal it off? Attackers will have no reason to suspect that there's something there, we could disguise it as a support pillar or, if it's near enough to a wall, just shrink the room a little.

Thattaman
2012-11-23, 11:40 AM
I'll be away from internet over the weekend so I won't be able to post.

Maugan Ra
2012-11-23, 12:01 PM
Thanks for letting me know.

Anyone planning to respond to Hal's doom pronouncement? I must admit, I am quite pleased with the reaction to Harkon being inbound. It's always nice to get some proper backstory significance involved in an encounter.

Beyond that, I'll assume you're concealing the first floor throne behind illusions. That leaves it open to you if you need to use it, while denying it to most enemies.

And are we still going for the kidnapping of Darian? I kinda need to know, one way or another. Hal is sitting out, but do the others want to still attempt it, or would you rather wait and try again another day?

Snowfire
2012-11-23, 02:51 PM
I will do everything I can to get a response up at somepoint in the next two days. Sorry about this, attention has been heavily distracted by an internet charity event this last week.

Maugan Ra
2012-11-24, 09:35 AM
Interesting suggested plan there. Fake a weakness, with the intent of luring them into an ambush. Unlike the previous set of adventurers, you'll be well served to prepare properly for this lot.

Also, specific ideas as to where you might set up the weak point? There are only so many ways into the Horn, after all. Remembering of course that you need to account for where your summoned outsiders and the like will be stationed as well.

Also, I can probably swap some dates around in-game, if we'd like to get the Inquisitor's visit concluded before a potential kidnapping attempt. Might be easier, to be honest.

Maugan Ra
2012-11-25, 05:43 PM
Yup. This should be interesting. But OK, Hal and Van are in the workshop, which is presently marked as the burned library. The lightning scarred room would probably make for a decent stable for all the Nightmares, so for now I'll assume your hellish steeds are all kept there.

And the 1st floor teleporter covered in stone. Noted. Do you have any particular placement for Artephius? If not, I'll assume the golem stays with Hal.

Angstrom
2012-11-25, 06:15 PM
I figured Artephius would still be with Kydrak and Victor. A PC or cohort should probably take up residence near the second level entrance just so the undead there have someone to command them. Near the capture cage.

Razorstorm
2012-11-25, 08:22 PM
Victor and Reyna are enjoying a break from guard duty/research with some dinner and a game of chess in the workshop, with Artephius against the wall.

Maugan Ra
2012-11-26, 06:17 AM
Alchemist's workshop, very well. I think most people were on the second floor, come to think of it - for sheer availability of rooms and the like. Hal just pinched Ezra's old room on the third floor to feel important :smalltongue:

Thattaman
2012-11-26, 10:53 AM
I'm trying to get myself an avatar of what I think Kydrak looks like, if any of you do avatars then check the OOTS avatar thread please to see if you could make it. Anyway, you'll have a lot more information on his appearence once I get the avatar.

Maugan Ra
2012-11-26, 11:01 AM
And that will be quite interesting. Right now, though, I'm interested in where Kydrak and his brother spend their evenings. I remember you picked a room, but I can't remember if it was a specific one.

This is mostly for the sake of working out how fast different members of the group can respond to different events that are about to occur. Every round might very well count...

Maugan Ra
2012-11-26, 11:10 AM
Victor and Reyna are enjoying a break from guard duty/research with some dinner and a game of chess in the workshop, with Artephius against the wall.

Actually, I just realised that the Alchemist's workshop is on the 1st floor. Having re-checked the maps and all that. So, be aware that at present, there are no guards on the 1st floor entrances (though said entrances are hidden behind illusionary walls), because they've been concentrated around the upper levels.

Comissar
2012-11-26, 12:45 PM
Will post shortly, little busy atm but enough time to check-in.

Comissar
2012-11-26, 06:30 PM
Those oozes got in through a crack in the wall, right? I'm thinking we widen it a bit then make an attempt at hiding it.

Maugan Ra
2012-11-26, 06:32 PM
Most of the wall in the Master of Acolyte's room had collapsed, leaving a giant hole which the Oozes used for entry. That hole was sealed as part of the repair works you had done.

Maugan Ra
2012-11-26, 10:16 PM
And... this might very well hurt. Especially since Quint has been casting spells for a fair bit of today already.

This, incidentally, is why I was laughing madly at the architectural changes made to the Horn. Because with the stairwell to the caves closed off, there are precisely two ways down off the Third floor (and from the Sanctum, really). One is by cautiously climbing down the outside rock-face, which is difficult and takes time (or a prepared flight spell, which not everyone on the floor has available). The other is via the teleporter in the War Room. Which is... somewhat occupied right now.

There is, of course, now also a direct route which Harkon and his crew can take from the third floor to the Sanctum.

I will note ahead of time that yes, this was pretty much always going to happen. That your defense plans and preparations have left you weirdly vulnerable to it is coincidence. And if you survive, how exactly this was achieved can probably be determined and prevented from happening again. You just have to, well, survive first.

So. Onwards. And may not all of you die...

Cloudsmeet
2012-11-26, 11:08 PM
Ah, my fault - I've been particularly bad at posting recently and I'm sorry.

I assume the Death's Head is in town and I won't be able to act at all.

Angstrom
2012-11-26, 11:58 PM
I guess I should apologize for the adjustments to the architecture; this may get tragic. Just thought I'd remind Snowfire that Van stoneshaped a communication tube to Hal's workshop so Il'varia can alert him right away.

Comissar
2012-11-27, 04:05 AM
... Well, this should prove to be challenging. I'm desperately trying to think of a way for Quint to talk his way out of a fight, but I'm really not seeing one.

Maugan Ra
2012-11-27, 08:08 AM
Ah, my fault - I've been particularly bad at posting recently and I'm sorry.

I assume the Death's Head is in town and I won't be able to act at all.

The Death's Head is actually on the first floor, I believe. Even an insane death cult needed a place to hang out after work, get a drink with friends, eat some food. The maps on the first page provide a good idea of where everyone is relative to each other. It's hard to show doors on an excel map, so for now, just assume that there's a door between most rooms unless told otherwise (the barracks don't link to each other, for one thing).

And as for Quint, I might recommend running. The enemy are presently flat-footed, so they don't get Attacks of Opportunity. Regrouping at least should be on the agenda. That way you can sacrifice minions to slow the good guys down :smalltongue:

Razorstorm
2012-11-27, 11:49 AM
Oh daayaamn!!!

This will be exciting!

Maugan Ra
2012-11-27, 11:55 AM
Oh daayaamn!!!

This will be exciting!

Or, perhaps, interesting (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1IMM5XOwaM)?

(Firefly quotes are always appropriate)

Maugan Ra
2012-11-27, 08:01 PM
And here are the rolls I got for initiative:
Harkon: 23
Brother Vyte, human cleric: 18
Soldiers of the Inquisition: 18
Tomas the penitent, human rogue: 13
Taskar Twelve-Knives, Half-Orc rogue: 12
Treya, the woman in red silk: 18
Hassan the Ifrit: 11
Kin: 11
Ilvaria and Mira: 25
Hal and Van: 17
Kydrak and Evil(er) twin brother: 16
Quint and Il'Tara: 15
Victor and Reyna: 12

Therefore, the overall initiative order is this:
1 - Ilvaria and Mira
2 - Harkon, Treya, Vyte and the Soldiers
3 - Quint, Kydrak, Hal and cohorts
4 - Enemy Rogues
5 - Kin, Victor, Reyna and Hassan

Any other NPCs, such as Ezra, will be rolled into combat on the same turn as whoever discovers and brings them into it. A lot of our PCs are also temporarily unable to act, since they don't know about this yet. Also, since I want to get this going at a pace before the job sucks away my free time, I'm going to sort-of-skip Ilvaria's first turn. Snowfire should still post, and actions will be retroactively worked in, but to my knowledge there's little you can immediately do to get involved here. Any time paradoxes caused shall be resolved in your favour should I be proven wrong.

And here... we... go.

Angstrom
2012-11-28, 01:04 AM
I fear its about to get awfully crowded in that hallway. I don't know the dimensions so if I have to change the post, let me know and I will.

If Hexor doesn't know where the others are, Hal tells him. He's memorized most of the schedule from the War Room and probably knows where they are.

I assume that since the Nightmares a smarter than the average human and have infernal and abyssal listed as languages they will be able to understand Buddy's telepathic alert (which he would give in Infernal).

Thattaman
2012-11-28, 03:07 AM
Oooh, I've missed quite a lot in this game recently, I must remembrr to check it more. Anyway, who likes my Kydrak avatar?

Edit: Kydrak and Caldrel's room shall be the torture chamber, unless somebody also has selected that, then I'll go for the chamber of the High Preist. Wherever I am, my two hell hounds will be guarding the door and my nightmare will be inside the room with me.

Editx2: Where is this fight going on, I checked all the maps and I can't see where the war room is. I would charge into battle immediately if I knew where I was going.

Maugan Ra
2012-11-28, 02:25 PM
The avatar is quite nice, I must agree.

The torture chamber is presently unclaimed by anyone. I'll still assume that Kydrak is in the Tavern with Kin at the moment, mostly because it allows for Hexor to get you two and Caldrel up to the fighting quicker.

The fight is occurring on the third floor - the 'War Room' is actually the room marked as the meditation chamber, which the group have generally repurposed. It's also spilled out into the hallway and the Fane of the Three-Eyed Prince.

Anyway, as Quint and Hal have both done their actions, we will move on (Ilvaria still has the outstanding action for round one, but I know Snowfire is somewhat ill IRL so I'm not sure if he'll be posting frequently). Now we're onto the enemy Rogues and the Dwarven cleric (who I need to add into the turn list, having accidentally missed him out).

Comissar
2012-11-28, 02:41 PM
Quint's a necromancer now, totally redesigned him between the last fight and this one. :smallwink:

Maugan Ra
2012-11-28, 03:22 PM
Quint's a necromancer now, totally redesigned him between the last fight and this one. :smallwink:

I noticed. And yeah, odds are if they believe the illusion, the three guys attacking you will retreat. Because trying to fight wraiths when outnumbered 2-1 is not a sensible decision.

I guess we'll see if they believe it. Anyway, Kin and Victor get to take their turns now. In Kin's case at least, a recommendation might be to ready a spell to be cast the moment Hexor drops you off at your desired location near the fight.

Victor will require three rounds of movement to get to the first floor teleporter, while Kydrak and Caldrel could get there in two. Only... you did say you were walling it off behind stone. Definitely behind stone, not behind an illusions, as you specified to me.

I'll be nice and change it to illusions if you like, since you've got a bunch of guys staying on the first floor.

Maugan Ra
2012-11-28, 04:53 PM
...and having been reminded that most of your undead are, in fact, bloody skeletons, they're actually all still intact. Whoops. I'll fix that momentarily.

Much as I would like to claim otherwise, I am not in fact perfect. If folks see me making a mistake, do point it out. In any case... onwards!

Snowfire
2012-11-28, 05:08 PM
Was going to mention that - and I need absolutely no reminder of your non-perfection *cough*Eclipse Phase*cough* :smalltongue: - but I was travelling so I couldn't. Will try to have a response up but I have an essay to finish before I can do so. Most of the way done, but...we'll see. If I could have a possible extension to tomorrow evening if I don't get a response up tonight, that would be great.

Also, the Sanctum is where in relation to the war room? Just wondering.

Maugan Ra
2012-11-29, 04:08 PM
The sanctum is basically directly above the war room. It is, however, about... 150ft or so straight up, right in the peak of the mountain.

Extension has clearly been given, so I'll let another hour or so go by before moving on. And as part of that moving on, I'm just going to roll a totally innocent set of dice here...

[roll0]

Maugan Ra
2012-11-29, 05:40 PM
Yeah, Fireballs are fun spells in relatively tight confines. Van and Buddy, though invisible, were both hit there. I'll finish the rest of that enemy turn momentarily.

That said, once I do, Kin, Kydrak, Caldrel, Ilvaria and Mira will all be on the third floor. So, numerical superiority won't be so heavily on the enemy side. Consider plans, people.

Snowfire
2012-11-29, 05:49 PM
*snickers*

Well, I know what my first actions are going to be :smallamused:

Maugan Ra
2012-11-29, 06:09 PM
I am almost afraid to ask.

Anyway, I appreciate without a proper map, it might be a little hard to work out where everyone is. That's the problem with something like this, it makes proper maps difficult to make and keep up to date for a fight in an entire building. So, working down that central corridor on the third floor...

- Quint is at the north end, actually in the Fane of Vetra-Kali. He has a currently-believed illusion of wraiths up between him and the fighting.

- The two enemy clerics are side by side, a little way past the door to the meditation chamber/War room.

- Treya DeMarco, human Sorceress, is pretty much in the middle of the group.

- Inquisitor Harkon and three soldiers armed with Halberds are presently near the south end, fighting a reanimated Moon Dog. Also in that area are Il'Tara and Van, though Van is invisible. It's a proper swirling, confused Melee at the moment.

Everyone else is mostly off to the side, in the high priests's chamber, the library or the landing with the stairwells. Ezra Thrice-Damned has presently cut off the enemy retreat, and three enemies (the Ifrit with the falchion and the two rogues) are presently fighting half a dozen Nightmares in the Lightning-Scarred room, and thus a bit pinned down.

Angstrom
2012-11-29, 06:14 PM
Saves:
Buddy [roll0]
Van (using adaptable luck) [roll1]

Buddy takes 14 damage
Van drops. She's in the negatives.

Snowfire
2012-11-29, 06:15 PM
Oh come on, you know me. Nothing too horrible, I promise :smalltongue: Ok, that's a total lie.

Just going to use a particularly fun ability to quite possibly horrendous effect. But, eh, we'll see. Depends on a few things.

Cloudsmeet
2012-11-29, 06:18 PM
So I get to fire off my readied fireball I presume, but it's not then my turn after that?

Maugan Ra
2012-11-29, 06:21 PM
I do know you, which is why I'm worried.

There will likely end up being some timeskips after this is done as I get us back towards the schedule in the book. Assuming you survive, naturally.

Snowfire
2012-11-29, 06:26 PM
I do know you, which is why I'm worried.

There will likely end up being some timeskips after this is done as I get us back towards the schedule in the book. Assuming you survive, naturally.

Oh come on, I've never done anything that bad! Ok, there was that one time wit-

I can pm you what I'm about to do if you want! :smalltongue:

And the patented wizard fireball spam begins...:smallsigh:

Maugan Ra
2012-11-29, 06:26 PM
So I get to fire off my readied fireball I presume, but it's not then my turn after that?

I actually had Hexor drop you off out of the direct line of sight of the enemy. So you'll have to wait for your next turn. It was easier for my own organisation - there were a lot of rolls being made here.

Also, remember your skeletal archers just outside on the balcony. They've not been told to fire on folks inside, but an order could change that. And amusingly, there's a pit trap between them and the ongoing fighting, which could be amusing depending on how it works out.

Cloudsmeet
2012-11-29, 06:27 PM
Argh, I keep making mistakes - I'm supposed to be casting a frostball, that's what I said in the spoiler in my previous IC post and that's what I'm going to do in my next one. Sorry for the confusion, I'll go back and edit it in a little while.

Comissar
2012-11-29, 06:34 PM
:smallfrown:

There goes Il'Tara

Also, I must be missing a trick here, how did you get a fireball to be 15D6+22?

Maugan Ra
2012-11-29, 06:45 PM
Yeah. I remember approving it in the past, but holy Christ that is going to hurt. You're probably fine, but for my own sanity can I get a repeat explanation oh how that works?

Also, you've just killed Van. And quite probably Buddy as well. They're both invisible and in the blast radius, and there's really nowhere to move in the room for you to place the explosion in any other fashion, even if you did know where they are.

Probably just took out a good half of the enemy force, though...

Maugan Ra
2012-11-29, 06:51 PM
Actually, having re-checked your sheet and the rules... yeah, he can do that. Wow, that's painful.

Snowfire
2012-11-29, 06:57 PM
Do remember however that Buddy was mentioned to be holding telepathic communication between everyone. So it's quite likely he would let everyone know. Also, I do have a way of stopping this killing our allies. However it requires that you stretch the initiative rules for me a little. May I ask that you let Mira take her action in conjunction with Kin? It is non-hostile.

Angstrom
2012-11-29, 07:01 PM
Toss my frostball in the general direction of Harkon, hoping to avoid hitting any allies although Hal and Van are invisible... I guess it's up to whether Buddy can warn me in time. If he does, I'll sling it at the largest group of other enemies that I can hit relatively safely.

Sorry if this hits you, Hal, but it was the first thing I thought of doing and I realised once I realised it would hit you that it was unlikely that I would know you were there in any case so I'd be metagaming if I didn't... you know. Good luck![/SPOILER]

Buddy warns him! Please merciful DM, please let buddy warn him.

Maugan Ra
2012-11-29, 07:09 PM
Hmm.

Combat on temporary pause while I work this out.

Snowfire, explain your strategy. And as for Buddy, he was actually stated to be in telepathic contact with a few specific individuals. I'm... honestly not sure. Opinions, feedback, etc?

Cloudsmeet
2012-11-29, 07:10 PM
Um... I think I owe you a new adopted sister or something?

Angstrom
2012-11-29, 07:13 PM
Um... I think I owe you a new adopted sister or something?

You just might.

No worries though, at least it wasn't my PC.

As for desperate pleas for retconning, one argument I can come up with is that one of Buddy's telepathic contacts was Hexor, so he would have noted when Hexor dropped off the others and added them to the link. The other is that in terms of positioning, Van turned left towards the balcony when she exited Hal's room, therefore I'm not sure how Harkon got so close to her. Again, positioning is confusing. Lastly, I may beg for having the sorceresses fireball throw her back when it exploded, coincidentally putting outside of the radius of Kin's deathball.

Anyways, if Hal is going to do anything besides suffer an emotional breakdown he's going to need to know which enemies are left standing.

Snowfire
2012-11-29, 07:21 PM
Ok, this relies on Mira being close enough to the melee, but, if she can move oblique to the current combat - currently under the effect of Sanctuary if it matters - she can theoretically raise a Moonlight Bridge between Harkon and company and her allies. The 'bridge' can stretch 50' from her position, and she can move 30' in a round. Actually...arguably she can move 60', as Moonlight Bridge has no specific action cost to activate (yes, I know that's a stretch, but I'd really prefer to not have this kill half the team). At that point, party members are shielded by - effectively - a CL 5 Wall of Force against the frostball. Which can take that damage (albeit sacrificing three quarters of its hp to do so).

I am aware that this arguably stretching the rules a bit here, but it you would allow it that would be....very nice.

Also, cookie-bribe (http://189degrees.files.wordpress.com/2011/03/chocolate_chip_cookie.jpg)!

In all seriousness, I've used this sort of thing before in situations like this. It's a stretch, but it's not much of one and it is perfectly legal in a - I believe - RAI way. So...please?

Maugan Ra
2012-11-29, 07:22 PM
Right now, all the PCs are left alive and actually unharmed. However, save for your skeletal archers outside, Caldrel and Mira, all of your present minions and cohorts are emphatically dead. The bloody skeletons there died in the radius of a bless spell, so they're gone for good.

Technically, since that put down three soldiers and the Inquisitor in exchange for a single cohort and a familiar, you're coming out ahead. Well, if you don't count the skeletons and hell hounds.

Yeah. Area effect spells, people. Use with caution. I'm presently inclined towards keeping this as it is, because the allies caught in the blast radius were invisible, and just being in telepathic communication doesn't keep everyone aware of exact positioning even if your reflexes are fast enough to handle the rapid communication.

Presently considering Snowfire's plan, will get back to you shortly.

Maugan Ra
2012-11-29, 07:36 PM
OK, judgement

- Van was that close to the Inquisitor and his party, rather than on the balcony, because there is a Pit Trap over the entrance to the balcony. While she could disable it and then move, she will not have been able to do that in a single turn.

- I'm going to disallow the Moonlight bridge plan. Firstly, because it relies on you jumping ahead of the initiative order - Mira used her actions this turn to move to the third floor, just like Ilvaria. Secondly, because it relies on you being forwarned and coordinated enough to instantly construct a wall between your group (some of which are invisible) and the enemy in the instant of time between the spell being fired and it detonating, with no prior coordination. And thirdly, because the Moonlight bridge is really intended more as a bridge than a wall of force, but this is the last and weakest reason, since I don't mind people inventing intelligent ways to use abilities.

- There's not much room for warnings here either, telepathy or not. Kin got to cast that spell because he had readied the action to cast it once he was teleported. Pithy comment to the Inquisitor or not, it all happened pretty much instantly.

So, situation stands. Van is deceased, as is buddy, while the enemies are mostly down and out. Angstrom, feel free to work Hal's reaction into your post, as it is presently your turn.

Angstrom
2012-11-29, 07:49 PM
Had to try. Feel free to let others take their turn since Hal isn't going to be impacting the combat in any way. I'll think about how Hal will handle this and post a IC when I get home.

Snowfire
2012-11-29, 07:52 PM
George, may I request Rings of Spell Battle from 3.5 then? As they would do a great deal to helping avoid this sort of situation again.

Cloudsmeet
2012-11-29, 08:01 PM
I'd offer for Kin to be your new adopted sister, but I'm not sure how he'd look in a dress.

On a more serious note, if there ends up being conflict between Hal and Kin (which is entirely to be expected), it may be interesting. And of course, you have my sincere apology, but once I decided it was my course of action and only then realised what would happen, taking it back would be against the spirit of the game.

Feel free to accidentally kill my cohort when I get one.

Maugan Ra
2012-11-29, 08:07 PM
George, may I request Rings of Spell Battle from 3.5 then? As they would do a great deal to helping avoid this sort of situation again.

Those are the rings that let you, basically, dispel or redirect spells cast within 40ft of you once a day? I have no real objections, bearing in mind that magic cast at you from over 40ft away is invalid as a target. And, of course, you'll have to work quite hard on finding a way to get a 70,000gp magic item.

Anyway, presently waiting for Thattaman, since it's Kydrak's turn as well.

Cloudsmeet
2012-11-29, 08:11 PM
You know what I need - a rod of metamagic merciful, allowing me to cast spells that do nonlethal damage.

Snowfire
2012-11-29, 08:13 PM
Those are the rings that let you, basically, dispel or redirect spells cast within 40ft of you once a day? I have no real objections, bearing in mind that magic cast at you from over 40ft away is invalid as a target. And, of course, you'll have to work quite hard on finding a way to get a 70,000gp magic item.

Anyway, presently waiting for Thattaman, since it's Kydrak's turn as well.

Of fudge, I mixed up the name, my apologies. I meant Spellguard Rings. They're in Complete Mage, p127.

Basically two people wear them, and 3/day either of them can make the other immune to the next spell they cast - if I remember correctly. Cost 4,000 gp for a set.

You know what I need - a rod of metamagic merciful, allowing me to cast spells that do nonlethal damage.

Or, y'know, Sculpt Spell

Cloudsmeet
2012-11-29, 08:21 PM
But that wouldn't have changed the fact that, in this particular instance, I didn't know where Hal and Van were in order to sculpt my spell around them. Simply knocking all of them out would have been safer and allowed anyone to be able to coup de grace them as necessary.

Angstrom
2012-11-29, 09:42 PM
On a more serious note, if there ends up being conflict between Hal and Kin (which is entirely to be expected), it may be interesting. And of course, you have my sincere apology, but once I decided it was my course of action and only then realised what would happen, taking it back would be against the spirit of the game.

Feel free to accidentally kill my cohort when I get one.

Characters dying is an important part of the game. This already important battle for Hal now has even more story significance. Kin doesn't have much to worry about though. Throwing a fit would be completely out of character. That said, an appeasement offering of Mitrans wouldn't go amiss.

And now it occurs to me that, as a familiar, Buddy has improved evasion as well as fire resistance 10 and therefore only took 2 damage from the first fireball. 29 from Kin's and he's at -12 and since he has 13 Con and Fast Healing 2 he might just be fine. Right?

I'm all for that seeing as Hal's item creation mechanic revolves around taking them alive.

Maugan Ra
2012-11-29, 09:46 PM
Buddy... might be OK, then. I'm not very experienced with the familiar rules, so it's entirely possible. He's come about as close to death as it is possible to get, though.

Edit: Kin dealt cold damage, remember. Is Buddy resistant to that as well?

Snowfire
2012-11-29, 10:02 PM
As a point, even if Buddy has ended up dead, by the standing rules on how Outsiders work he's really actually 'not' dead. He just reforms back on his home plane. And, as stated in the familiar rules:

If a familiar is dismissed, lost, or dies, it can be replaced 1 week later through a specialized ritual that costs 200 gp per wizard level. The ritual takes 8 hours to complete.

Hal can get him back! :smallbiggrin:

Angstrom
2012-11-29, 10:06 PM
Buddy... might be OK, then. I'm not very experienced with the familiar rules, so it's entirely possible. He's come about as close to death as it is possible to get, though.

Edit: Kin dealt cold damage, remember. Is Buddy resistant to that as well?

He is also resistant to cold and electric damage. He's a tough little guy to survive 102 damage in one turn.

If he lives it'll will be a great narrative tool. Souldrinkers have a way of spending soul points to summon familiars, but that would take sacrifices and be inconvenient. Hal will need someone to talk to and Buddy's atitude shift will be sped up greatly by his near-'death' experience.

Cloudsmeet
2012-11-29, 11:24 PM
I didn't necessarily mean a fit, more that... Kin and Hal wouldn't be very good friends afterwards.

I don't know,

In other news, I have just remembered three hours before it occurred (it's been a long and tiring week) that I'm going away for the weekend, effective in the next two or so hours and returning in roughly two days time plus a couple of hours or so on Sunday afternoon\evening. It'll likely be Sunday morning for you guys, in any case, but until then I don't think I'll have access to internet in any form. So for all intents and purposes, someone's welcome to take over Kin if necessary for combat purposes and any necessary diplomatic necessities (although given how independent this group is, and how few of the enemies remain, we'll probably be fine without him).

Current prepared spells is on his sheet here (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=446430), including the spell he used to spontaneously cast fireball with.

Thattaman
2012-11-30, 04:06 AM
The things that happen while you're asleep. I appear to have missed a pretty impressive battle, judging by what I've read OOC. But at least no one died, (that Kydrak cares about).

Maugan Ra
2012-11-30, 04:09 AM
The battle is still ongoing. At least half of the enemy are still intact. There was just a momentary pause over team-killing :smalltongue:

Thattaman
2012-11-30, 04:13 AM
So who's still allive, freind or foe and seen as Hexor took another group through first and then us, would that give me two rounds to buff Caldrel, casting Mage Armour and Bull's Strength?

Maugan Ra
2012-11-30, 04:38 AM
I'd say one round of buffs, really, based on the time you had. Which makes no effective difference, as casting Mage Armour on someone wearing enchanted full plate does... well, basically nothing. The spell gives an armour bonus, which does not stack with other armour bonuses.

That said, useful to know what you're doing, will post next load of enemy actions.

Maugan Ra
2012-11-30, 05:24 AM
And this would be why your Melee fighter should not be encouraged to go sprinting off into the middle of the enemy group on his own, when there are two rogues in the attacking party. The Half-Orc is even a Knife master, so he deals additional sneak attack damage with his dagger.

Caldrel is still alive, I believe. Albeit pinned between four enemies, two of them rogues, and on all of about 4HP.

Also, turns out folks with magic weapons can hurt incorporeal targets like Ezra. The Ifrit, I might as well admit, is a Barbarian. So, lots of damage dealing potential, even when cut down to 50%.

In any case, enemies have called for a retreat, and it's Snowfire's turn.

Thattaman
2012-11-30, 05:44 AM
I think a fly spell is needed at the moment. Also, how many potions of CMW do I have left? I slightly need them right now.

Maugan Ra
2012-11-30, 06:34 AM
Caldrel has none, because you never said you were giving him any and I'm not going to allow retroactive redistribution of resources like that. But between the entire group, I think you have 8.

Also, hey, upside, if someone deploys a nuke on the attackers now you'll probably be able to wipe four or five of them in exchange for also blasting Caldrel. Why stop a winning formula? :smalltongue:

Maugan Ra
2012-11-30, 10:03 AM
The body count, it rises...

And yes, this does mean Harkon and his soldier delayed their attempt to escape in order to take out another target. Because hey, one of their comrades was enthralled, and these guys actually have Good in their alignment, so simply abandoning him while they retreated to safety was not a real option.

Also, Snowfire, technically that was an error on my part - I misread that you were casting Silence on the sorcerer herself. Since that allows a will save to resist, she took and passed it (sorcerers have good will saves) and thus technically moving out of the area wasn't really necessary. I just figured I'd be unambiguous about it.

Snowfire
2012-11-30, 10:09 AM
Sorry. That was a mistype on my part. Ilvaria was casting it on an area, I should have made that clearer. Apologies.

Also, may I have an action cost for Moonlight Bridge? Because if it's a particular one I will be doing something with it if you'll allow. More than that however, Harkon moving into Mira's area will provoke an AoO from her. And...more than that even, I would like to know how they're within movement of her. I may be mixing things up, but Mira and Ilvaria are - I think - pretty much at the opposite end of room.

Aaand...I will have a pm going your way this evening.

Maugan Ra
2012-11-30, 11:03 AM
Why would Harkon provoke for moving next to Mira? He is, after all, going there specifically to attack her. We'll call Moonlight bridge a swift action for now, I think.

Also, I really need to start using proper maps. The only way Ilvaria could have seen the sorceress was to have exited into the corridor - otherwise the wall was in the way. Well, I suppose she could have pressed right up next to the doorway, but that still puts her fairly near.

These are close confines you're fighting in here. That main corridor is maybe 20ft wide. The High Priest's chamber is all of 30ft across, and the library is about 50ft long. There's not a lot of room.

Still, not to self, make more scale-accurate maps for next time. These ones were really just made to give folks an idea of the general layout of the place.

Snowfire
2012-11-30, 11:40 AM
Ok then. When charged, Mira triggers a Bridge that seals Harkon and his soldier in a cylinder of Force anchored against the closest walls. I have 50' of Bridge to do this with.

She has a Swift Action left to do this with. If response sealing isn't allowed then she'll have called up the Bridge trapping the three when she cast Hypnotic Pattern. Also, will saves vs the Sanctuary effect around her if none of that works. As Illusion spells like Hypnotic Pattern do not breach it if I remember correctly.

Maugan Ra
2012-11-30, 11:58 AM
I'm going to say no, in the interests of fairness. I didn't let people save Van by retroactively declaring actions, so I'm not going to allow retroactive actions to save Mira.

Though the point about the Sanctuary spell is interesting. It says there's nothing wrong with casting non-attack spells, but I'd be inclined towards saying that using a spell to disable enemy combatants in the middle of a Melee counts as attacking them, since they had to make saves. It certainly violates the implied theme of non-aggressive action, even if RAW is a bit fuzzy on it.

Angstrom
2012-11-30, 01:39 PM
So in Hal's turn he would have moved to catch the unconscious Buddy as he falls from the air. Even though that puts him in the hall I'm hoping that I'll have a chance to post him leaving the hallway on this turn before Kin or Kydrak hurls in another fireball.

Villainous BSOD made Hal not cast anything, but it turns out the fight was a lot farther from over than I thought. I apologize for the part my lack of action played in the deaths of your cohorts. I assume that since Harkon has gone, Quint, Kydrak, and Hal are up again, but I figured I'd check.

Snowfire
2012-11-30, 02:01 PM
Ok, this I am going to argue, basing off the fact that these situations are quite different. When I made Mira's action, I was under the impression that Moonlight Bridge would be a Standard action activation ability. Yes, I am to a point scrambling to save my a character. However, the situation here is quite different from that of Van.

In Van's case, there was nothing that she, herself, could have done actively or retroactively to save herself from the massive doom-iceball. It was relying on other characters or support mechanisms.

In this case, this is something that - by the way Mira has been built (as a battlefield controller - she would have done if able. Now yes, I am not denying that I likely should have asked about the action cost for Moonlight Bridge. But it is a different situation, in that Mira herself has both the actions available and the abilities on hand to stop this event occuring - something that Van did not.

More than this, the issue of positioning is vitally - vitally important here. I've discovered this myself in games - hence the use of Google doc spreadsheets to show positioning in the games I run at this point. It prevents situations like this arising. I made my actions in the belief that I was out of movement range of my targets - as this is what had been implied. As this belief was, in fact, false - and I had no way of knowing that when I should have - I would argue that my round of actions was made under false knowledge and therefore cannot be accepted as written due to the circumstances surrounding it.

I will however, with the knowledge that you have given, say that I would not have contained Harkon and co. in the manner in which I suggested above. I would have, however, kept the people with the halberds and flaming sword away from the reasonably squishy casters. This would have involved an oblique angle bridge from Mira's position preventing Harkon and company from closing on Mira, Ilvaria, and those others around them.

This can be seen as retroactive attempts for keeping my character alive - which I am too self-aware to deny being the case - but this action would have been one I would have done anyway out of sheer common sense. You don't let the melee combatants close on the mages.

Quite beyond the point of that entire thing, I will again argue against the Sanctuary decision, under the text of the spell as written:

The subject cannot attack without breaking the spell but may use non-attack spells or otherwise act.

An attack spell, under conventional definitions, counts as one which causes harm to an opponent. Hypnotic Pattern itself does not cause harm to those in its area of effect. Fascination is not, as far as I can tell, harmful. It is the side effects of the condition that are harmful. If you rule that spell like Hypnotic Pattern do breach - which I don't think is RAW or RAI - then Sanctuary is basically useless for the character.

And....that's me.

Thattaman
2012-12-01, 05:15 AM
While your character will all be sad about the death of their cohorts, Kydrak will just assume that he was lying when he said he was his brother, no brother of Lord Kydrak dies so easily.

Maugan Ra
2012-12-01, 05:41 AM
Right. I've done some editing and made a new post so that Mira also activated a moonlight bridge to corral the enemy and keep them away from your casters. Oblique angle bridge, as noted. So Quint can still act freely, but the rest are fairly much trapped, since the bridge can only be dismissed by it's caster on her round.

Thattaman
2012-12-01, 05:45 AM
Will slowing Harkon do more, or casting Haste on Quint? And yes, a bastard calling his bastard brother a bastard is quite humorous.

Maugan Ra
2012-12-01, 05:47 AM
Spells can't pass through a Wall of Force effect. Both Quint and all the surviving attackers are shielded from you by the Moonlight bridge. They are doing their best to retreat right now, though.

Also, yeah, that Searing Light destroyed Ezra. Who was actually almost friends with Hal. Man, the Halfling is just not having a good day today... :smalltongue:

Thattaman
2012-12-01, 05:49 AM
Oh, well there's nothing Kydrak can really do then other than draw his word and curse his dead brother. But at least Ezra's dead, Kydrak can rest knowing only one person close by actively wants to kill him. :smallbiggrin:

Snowfire
2012-12-01, 05:59 AM
And next round I know exactly what I'm doing. Mira has one more use of this ability. And I always wanted a pet Inquisitor :smallamused:

As a note, sorry if I seemed bitchy about this entire issue, it's just...eh, covered above. So...now lets see if I can do this as I think I can...

Maugan Ra
2012-12-01, 06:11 AM
I will note that Harkon has made it into the War Room and is thus out of your immediate eyeline. You'd have to move up most of the length of the corridor to spot him again. Doable, but somewhat dangerous, especially since the hallway is still fairly full of enemies. For now, anyway.

But hey, who am I to say you can't do something suicidal? :smalltongue:

Also, my apologies that Victor and Reyna don't appear to be getting to do much, but the fight has been so quick that there's really not a lot of ways they could get there in time.

Snowfire
2012-12-01, 06:19 AM
I will note that Harkon has made it into the War Room and is thus out of your immediate eyeline. You'd have to move up most of the length of the corridor to spot him again. Doable, but somewhat dangerous, especially since the hallway is still fairly full of enemies. For now, anyway.

But hey, who am I to say you can't do something suicidal? :smalltongue:

Also, my apologies that Victor and Reyna don't appear to be getting to do much, but the fight has been so quick that there's really not a lot of ways they could get there in time.

In that case, could I get a count of those in the hallway at this point? I have some...plans.

Maugan Ra
2012-12-01, 06:21 AM
Right now, in the hallway, there are:
- Quint
- Two Inquisitorial soldiers armed with Halberds
- Brother Vyte, human cleric, and Posca, Dwarven cleric
- Taskar Twelve-Knives and Tomas the Penitent, Half-Orc and Human rogues respectively.
- Treya DeMarco, human sorcerer.

The soldiers are presently the closest to you, as their armour reduces their movement speed.

Snowfire
2012-12-01, 06:25 AM
Right now, in the hallway, there are:
- Quint
- Two Inquisitorial soldiers armed with Halberds
- Brother Vyte, human cleric, and Posca, Dwarven cleric
- Taskar Twelve-Knives and Tomas the Penitent, Half-Orc and Human rogues respectively.
- Treya DeMarco, human sorcerer.

The soldiers are presently the closest to you, as their armour reduces their movement speed.

Ok then. With a single movement, could one enclose all of them in a 50' wall of force anchored against the wall? Because I think most of us want Harkon at this point. I'm almost certain Hal does.

As a note, Kydark, Hal, use this action to throw buffs. Or, y'know, you can fly over the 'Bridge'. It's only 10' high.

Maugan Ra
2012-12-01, 06:50 AM
You wouldn't be able to get all of them in a single enclosure... well, you could, but that would still leave them access to the door to the War Room, which is presumably not what you're after.

However, since rules as written there's nothing stopping you from keeping two such bridges maintained at once, you could build another bridge off of this one and use it to block off a certain number of the enemy in a triangle shape. You'd be able to get the soldiers, the sorceress and Brother Vyte the cleric in that trap. Maybe one or two of the rogues, but they get to take their turn before you, so the chances they'll still be there are fairly slim.

Maugan Ra
2012-12-01, 09:50 AM
*pause*

Is Quint sure he wants to do that?

Maugan Ra
2012-12-01, 10:15 AM
For clarity purposes, Quint moving into the War Room now will place him pretty much exactly in the middle of the enemy.

I'll give... say an hour and a bit or so for any changes, then accept his action as posted and move on.

Comissar
2012-12-01, 10:20 AM
I thought he still had some distance to go before he reached there, I kind of just intended for him to be following them down the corridor.

Maugan Ra
2012-12-01, 10:26 AM
Ah. Since Harkon has made it into the war room, only drawing level with the door to said room will put you in line of sight, and thus will make you exposed to a counter-attack. So you might want to pick another target.

You can hit Harkon, but you might not want to...

Comissar
2012-12-01, 10:27 AM
Exactly how many people would he be in line of sight of?

Maugan Ra
2012-12-01, 10:31 AM
Since you moved 30ft before casting your previous lightning bolt, you can currently see everyone in the corridor, as noted in the above posts.

Comissar
2012-12-01, 10:38 AM
I think he's still going to go after Harkon for now, the "Wraiths" will form a guard about 15ft. out from him though (both in front and behind).

Maugan Ra
2012-12-01, 11:31 AM
And sometimes, people are willing to tank potential damage from a couple of wraiths in order to engage the spell-caster hiding behind them. More so with the possibility that they're actually just illusions.

Also, it's basically just Kin's turn, then Ilvaria and Mira's. Victor is sadly still downstairs.

And for the record, as far as you know, there is no teleport site that corresponds to the phrase 'Vah'.

Angstrom
2012-12-01, 03:08 PM
I missed a lot there, I was working unusually late for a Friday. I'll have a post for Hal up, but since it involves moving into the stable, which I think is friendly turf at the moment, nothing should be interrupted.

Well that sucks, I can't believe I forgot the thing about bloody skeletons and bless spells. A painful mistake, I quite liked the idea of that hydra.

Now Hal will blame himself that Harkon escaped. As for Ezra, he was selfish and not the ally Hal had expected him to be. Ezra had quasi-betrayed Hal's trust a few times already, so its a minor loss compared to Van. The issue is that now there are an unknown number of wraiths (no longer wraith spawn) floating around the Horn. Hal will have to corale them in the next while. With Command Undead requiring Hal to make a check everyday I think its too risky to try and keep them. They would make good shock troops for a retaliation strike against Harkon though.

Maugan Ra
2012-12-01, 03:22 PM
Now that Ezra is dead... Well, gone, I can freely admit he was absolutely intending to betray you all. True, he couldn't do it before the ritual was concluded, since he needed you to complete it. That said, there is an expected six hour period between the last ritual (and the breaking of the Seal) and Vetra-Kali's arrival. His plan was, essentially, to wait until he no longer needed you, then devour all of your souls in a series of quick ambushes. Then he would access the Sanctum and greet the return of his master, playing it off as his own scheme to use the servants of other gods as puppets in order to further the work of Abaddon.

Yes, he intended to kill Hal as well. Potential ally or not, you'd have been able to demand a position of power and influence in the returned cult, and you'd be out of his direct control.

He also knew about the weakness in your defenses that the Inquisitor exploited. Mostly as an insurance option, in case he decided your cooperation wasn't good enough and had to bring in others as an alternative.

Everyone you know is a backstabbing potential traitor. Remember this well, young diabolists :smalltongue:

Razorstorm
2012-12-01, 04:12 PM
Aw man!!! I really wanted to turn this clock-work monster loose on something!

No chance of cleaning up?

Oh we'll... At leat my cohort didn't die. (Sincere condolences to those that did.)

Razorstorm
2012-12-01, 04:25 PM
Sorry, before I write my "late to the party" post, are there any more to kill, or is everyone either dead/gone, either in the main room or anywhere on our way? I re-read the IC recent posts, and I'm not clear.

Maugan Ra
2012-12-01, 04:30 PM
Right now, there's still some folks left, yes. Specifically the Ifrit, the human sorceress, two soldiers, Brother Vyte the cleric and the half-Orc rogue Taskar Twelve-Knives.

Actually, if you were heading for the teleport throne on the first floor, there's a chance you could get to it and activate it this turn, if you wanted to. Wouldn't be able to do much else in the turn though.

Angstrom
2012-12-01, 05:43 PM
Everyone you know is a backstabbing potential traitor. Remember this well, young diabolists :smalltongue:

Kind of figured that Ezra would want Hal out of the way eventually, but I was hoping to have his wraiths around for a long time before that happened.

Are the nightmares still in their stable? Are any hurt/dead?

Maugan Ra
2012-12-01, 05:47 PM
The Nightmares are still there, yes. One of them is quite badly hurt, but the others are all fine - the enemy appear to have shut the door between the War Room and the stable. It opens into the stable area, which means the Nightmares, lacking hands, have been unable to reopen it and re-engage the attackers.

Maugan Ra
2012-12-02, 03:20 PM
Dropping out of combat time with the escape of the enemy team. I apologise for the hurried ending, but as I start my very busy job tomorrow, I didn't want to hold it down to being dragged out on account of my own timing problems.

So, ending score:
- Inquisitor Harkon and his two soldiers left with significant injuries
- One enemy soldier died
- Van, Caldrel and Il'Tara all died. That's a significant portion of your Melee capability, and your primary Necromancer.
- Quint has been knocked into negative hit points and is presently bleeding out, but he can probably survive even if it's just by getting Hexor to teleport him to Zikomo, who knows stabilize and healing spells.
- Hal has suffered all kinds of unfortunate mental trauma, seeing Van burn/Freeze to death in front of him.
- Ezra Thrice-Damned has been destroyed, and his three surviving spawn are now presently loose and uncontrolled.
- Your undead Hydra, Tatzlywyrms and Moon Dogs have been destroyed, and at least two of the Hell Hounds are dead and gone.

And now you know there is at least one way into your base that you're otherwise unaware of. On the upside, you might be able to do something about that, and I figure you might change your guard patterns to negate some of the problems caused by only expecting attacks from the outside.

(If Victor did go to the third floor, he gets to make an attack of opportunity on someone as they leave, as do his companions, but they willingly pushed past him and teleported anyway)

So. Feel free to post up plans for dealing with this, and any post-fight reaction scenes/arguments/actions etc.

Snowfire
2012-12-02, 03:38 PM
Ok....how exactly did they do that? Because that's a total violation of the initiative order in their favour. Which...I have some problems with - specifically that it denies any chance of capturing any of the major combatants. Which we would be able to do.

Maugan Ra
2012-12-02, 03:50 PM
You and Kin forfeited your turns by taking more than 24 hours to post your actions. I appreciate this can make things difficult, but it's been a standing rule in this game for a fair while now.

That meant it became the turn of Treya, Vyte and the Soldiers. They used their turn to escape, leaving only the Ifrit in the War Room and the Half-Orc in the corridor. Then it was the turn of Kydrak, Quint and Hal. Quint was bleeding out, Kydrak was stuck behind a barrier. Rather than wait for Hal too long, I decided I'd move onto the next load of folks, which was the Half-Orc and then the Ifrit, who promptly also escaped.

The 24 hour rule is in place for good reason, mostly because it's worked to keep this game going at pace and not dying out. And, as stated, I am about to lose the vast majority of my free time for several weeks, so I figured I'd get the awkward combat part sorted and done before that happened.

Snowfire
2012-12-02, 04:02 PM
Ok, I had already informed you of what Mira's action would be. And for some reason I thought that there would be another post.

Thattaman
2012-12-02, 04:28 PM
All in all, a succesful battle. :smallbiggrin: I'll wait 'till level eight before getting my third cohort. The fact that all my cohorts keep dying reflects the fact Kydrak couldn't care less about lesser people. After two heavily meleed characters, I might go for a cleric, or maybe a druid next, a druid could be helpful in combat but a cleric is a lot more helpful for healing. But I suppose he'd have negative energy chanelling, which is just annoying. Unless, I got a LN one, then he could chanell positive energy, whilst still being a cleric of Asmodeous. Too many options. This one will actually last a battle (hopefully). By the way, Kydrak will not care about Caldrel and instead just loot his magic items, the leave him to be killed.

Maugan Ra
2012-12-02, 04:37 PM
Do remember the modifier to your Leadership score for every cohort lost is cumulitive. Kydrak's at -4 now, and might very well qualify for the Aloofness or cruelty penalties as well.

Snowfire
2012-12-02, 04:40 PM
Oh, and as a note, Ilvaria has cure spells prepared. So she'll hit Quint with one.

Razorstorm
2012-12-04, 09:09 AM
Oh, sorry, I missed your post about healing Quint! It's okay, he needs more, I'm sure!

Thattaman
2012-12-04, 02:13 PM
I don't really see how he'd have those at the moment (aloofness or cruelty) becasue his first he had for about a day before he died, and the next he had for a couple of weeks in which they were OK friends, so he hasn't been cruel to his cohorts.

Maugan Ra
2012-12-04, 03:28 PM
It's not just cohort specific, I believe. The alternative minion rules we're using mean it doesn't matter quite so much, but your leadership score is still impacted.

- Cruelty: We are remembering the whole 'hunt down and murder random civilians, then keep trophies in my rooms' thing, yeah? Just because you haven't displayed that towards your minions directly, doesn't mean they're convinced you won't.

- Aloofness. Your brother just got his head vaporized, and Kydrak's reaction was to declare that he was clearly not your brother, and then nick his stuff. It counts.

Anyway. Anyone got anything in the way of plans for what to do now? Hal at least is pretty sure that Harkon is going to return pretty much as soon as is practical. You do still have four minions actions unspent - you could use them to shore up your defenses with guard duty and otherwise help prepare for a strike. Downside is this will mean letting your minions into the Horn, which I believe you've been trying to avoid so far.

Snowfire
2012-12-04, 03:33 PM
Well, first thing that Mira is doing is sealing the Teleportation Circle in her last Moonlight Bridge - and she'll maintain that seal indefinitely. I doubt they'll come back that way, but it can't hurt to keep it sealed. Apart from that...will get back to you.

Angstrom
2012-12-04, 06:17 PM
Anyway. Anyone got anything in the way of plans for what to do now? Hal at least is pretty sure that Harkon is going to return pretty much as soon as is practical.

Hal is absolutely sure Harkon is coming back.

The teleporters are linked, and he won't try a head on attack after what that frostball did to him. He'll hit one of our other levels next, maybe both at once to split us up. We can't count on having even a day to prepare.

Hal won't be saying any of that, however, unless someone approaches him. He'll be in his chamber with Buddy. I'll post an IC about Buddy coming back from the brink once people have finished the post-conflict posts.

Other characters can try and make him help ready the Horn for another attack, or apologize for Van's death, but if they don't he'll likely spend a couple hours too locked in grief to do anything.