PDA

View Full Version : WotW: Call forth Darkness OOC

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6

Angstrom
2012-12-05, 04:01 PM
"The frog-men might serve as a decent buffer, slow them down until you can get your spells ready. Of course, they probably won't want to throw themselves into the crossfire."

I'm fairly sure that after the incident with Kydrak trying to become their god we don't trust them enough to invite them in, nor do they trust us enough to believe its not a trap or suicide mission.

I'd be fine with asking the boggards to patrol the outside of the Horn while we fortify the entrances to each of the throneroom with the archers, undead adventurers, minotaur, scorpion, and Artephius. If we have caltrops or even broken furniture to use to make most of the area around the thrones difficult terrain, leaving a small aisle open in case we still need to use them, we can slow their assault. Use the tables and chairs from the Death's Head to make staggered obstacles. A line of flipped tables will break their charge lines. Put our archers 30ft back on a line of chairs by the door to keep them away from the clerics. This would also give their party a tempting regroup point in the cover of the tables, which of course leads them away from the teleporter. Similar to Quint's plan earlier, feign an exploitable weakness to get them where we want them. If they push past the first wall, have the skeletons retreat out the door and close it behind them. Having Hexor teleport Kin and our other heavy hitters behind them blocks their escape and, if the rubble is used to make difficult terrain, keeps them relatively safe from melee.

That of course assumes they come via the teleporter.

Generally, since we don't know what they're capable of, it might be best to create barricades in more places than just there. They saw the balcony entrance so shutting off that opening with the nightmares may be best. Assigning a 'commander' to each group of undead to lead them in stalling tactics can't hurt. Having Hexor waiting near the sanctum to teleport Kin and whoever else we have there into combat right away seems like a good contingency to make sure the frostballs/fireballs are used in every scenario. I suggest fireballs since after the devastation of the frostball, they're likely to buff against cold. Having Mira in the war room with her wall, supported by another character, seems to be the best way of containing that room due to the space restrains of the smaller chamber vs the big temples. We don't know if their goal is to get to the sanctum, but having Hexor ready to teleport whomever he's with back up to the third floor if Harkon tries to distract us seems wise.

Snowfire
2012-12-05, 04:11 PM
Please note that Mira has sealed the teleportation circle - I believe she can - in her last Moonlight Bridge for the day. Working on IC post to suit but...many games. Takes time.

Maugan Ra
2012-12-05, 04:30 PM
The teleportation circle is indeed sealed, since it's in a corner and the bridge is comfortably long enough to surround it. This leaves, to your knowledge, two other potential entry routes for the Inquisitor and his team. While you could doubtless fortify them to make the Iron City look weak, you don't have a vast amount of time.

That said, using furniture to produce difficult terrain and general obstacles is quite easily accomplished within an hour or so. Conveniently, both of the other teleport sites are actually located in long, rectangular rooms with the only exit at the opposite end to the throne. The pillars in each also work as decent anchoring points for any barricades. So, you can set your undead to doing that easily enough, with direction. All that remains is working out where you yourselves are being stationed.

Comissar
2012-12-05, 06:15 PM
Quint isn't taking Il'Tara's death very well.

Maugan Ra
2012-12-05, 06:23 PM
That's quite alright. Hal isn't taking Van's unfortunate demise very well either.

Hmm. I actually have something of an idea. It might allow me to introduce a particularly favoured NPC to the story ahead of time - he plays a large role later, and it's often a nice idea to have important individuals involved before they become critical. Much more fun that way.

Comissar
2012-12-05, 06:24 PM
That's quite alright. Hal isn't taking Van's unfortunate demise very well either.

Hmm. I actually have something of an idea. It might allow me to introduce a particularly favoured NPC to the story ahead of time - he plays a large role later, and it's often a nice idea to have important individuals involved before they become critical. Much more fun that way.

Truly, those are words intended to strike terror into us.

Maugan Ra
2012-12-05, 06:57 PM
Feel free to refuse. Faustian bargains may always be refused... but so very few people do so. Funny how that works out.

Angstrom
2012-12-05, 08:02 PM
As much as I hate to let my character get locked into another contract, I have a feeling Hal will accept the offer in the end. How could he not after a guilt trip like that?

Judging from Hexor's reaction I'm guessing that wasn't Vetra Kali.
Knowledge Planes: [roll0]

Snowfire
2012-12-05, 08:14 PM
Hmmm. Does Detect Magic register anything here? And...I think I have a Pm to write tomorrow. I have some...ideas.

On an amusing note, I think I have pretty much all of the Divine casting in the party under my control at this point. That could be...interesting when we get higher level. And ress spells start coming online...

"So, how much is your continued life worth?" :smallamused:

Comissar
2012-12-06, 04:18 AM
Quint will also try to determine who/what is speaking to him.

Knowledge (Planes) - [roll0]

Well... I guess he can't tell?

Maugan Ra
2012-12-06, 06:45 AM
Please say hello to Dessiter of the Phistophilus, Contract Devil in service of Hell. In the true spirit of a Faustian bargain, he hereby offers complete and total resurrections for your fallen companions. Well, for Van and Il'Tara anyway - he gets the impression that Kydrak doesn't care enough about Caldrel to accept a contract to that end.

Sure, there are a few strings attached, but they're minor. And with those rolls, neither Quint nor Hal know anything further about your new guest.

Thattaman
2012-12-06, 11:03 AM
Well, he was wrong, Kydrak does care about Caldrel, just not enough to put his pride in front. If he gets brought back by Asmodeous's will, then he will not only consider him to be a great being, but think of him as being in favour of Asmodeous. Half of what Kydrak says is just that he wants to show Asmodous that he cars about his will. And if Caldrel getting brought back is part of his will, then Caldrel will be considered of importance to him. But, although Kydrak tries to mask it, he does have an odd sense of affection towards Caldrel. He alsways thought he was alone in this world, but if he has Caldrel, then he has another person who thinks similar enough to him for him to finally feel a sense of family or friendship which is completely new to him.

Maugan Ra
2012-12-06, 11:13 AM
Very well. Name the price you are willing to pay...

(Also please note that I am not omniscient, and that I'll judge things like this based primarily on what I've actually seen. You might know that Kydrak is honestly sort of fond of Caldrel, but I have no particular way of knowing that.)

Kydrak might be able to claim a discount here, for long and faithful service, but Asmodeus is not in the habit of performing miracles for free...

Thattaman
2012-12-06, 11:16 AM
Putting more effort into the work and less into kliing elves should be a big enough price.

Maugan Ra
2012-12-06, 11:42 AM
It's really not, considering that's basically just doing what you should have been doing from the very start. Especially when weighed against what some of the others have been required to do for their divine interventions.

Thattaman
2012-12-06, 11:43 AM
What can I give to reverse Calrel's death? You could think for the other two, but Kydrak is already completely loyal to Asmodeous.

Maugan Ra
2012-12-06, 11:47 AM
Which is one of the reasons Dessiter didn't originally make you an offer. Why bargain for what you already have?

You just need to promise something that fits within what Asmodeus would want to see, something suitably striking. That you might have intended to do it already is somewhat irrelevant - The Dark Prince believes in contractural obligations, not easily-thwarted intentions.

There is a large Abbey full of devout Mitrans in town, for example, complete with a captured relic that used to belong to a powerful devil...

:smallamused:

Thattaman
2012-12-06, 11:57 AM
So, I'll have to kill the Mitrans and take the relic back, should be fun! :smallamused:

Maugan Ra
2012-12-06, 01:01 PM
*happily winds strings around Kydrak's agreement, humming cheerfully to himself*

Thattaman
2012-12-06, 01:26 PM
So I either take this relic or die trying.

Angstrom
2012-12-06, 02:27 PM
So, Hal is in some sort of trouble here since if he accepts the deal he looses two levels in a prestige class that requires he have a Horseman as his patron which means goodbye to his soul using abilities as well as his familiar and closest friend, Buddy.

There's already something of a 'sole-allegiance' clause in the way Souldrinkers function; Hal's soul is already claimed. How would it work if he sells it again?

Maugan Ra
2012-12-06, 02:41 PM
I'd allow conversion of the invalid class levels back into Wizard (or possibly another suitable prestige class) if the deal is taken. That said, yes, right now Dessiter is basically making Hal chose between Buddy and Vancouver. He's enjoying it as well, in his polite and dignified fashion.

You can always argue IC, or make an alternate offer that you think Dessiter and Hell as a whole would accept.

Angstrom
2012-12-06, 03:33 PM
A regular Sophie's choice.

I'll PM you some questions.

Angstrom
2012-12-06, 07:49 PM
Well that was really tough. Its a shame Hal is more scared of betraying the embodiments of death than he is desperate to bring Van back to life. At least Buddy's still around to ensure Hal stays focussed on slaughtering everyone responsible for Van's death.

Buddy will want to drive Hal to follow Harkon through the teleporter. Anyone else for a counterattack?

Thattaman
2012-12-07, 12:43 PM
Will any of you be willling to help get this relic back, it might be hard and I don't blame you if you say no seen as it could get you or your cohorts killed, but you could try giving it a go.

Cloudsmeet
2012-12-07, 02:17 PM
Well, I kind of feel like I was unoriginal in having a bit of a breakdown, but it was how Kin might react and I also had to explain Kin's silence and inaction after his explosive entrance.

Sorry that I've been so silent, I just was trying to figure out how Kin would react and then events seemed to just get more complicated as more people died (and then came back to life).

Razorstorm
2012-12-07, 02:27 PM
Can I ask for clarification around the clause of Quint's contract? What exactly is he pledging to do/not do with regarding Vetra Kali?

What are those implications for the rest of us?

Angstrom
2012-12-07, 02:51 PM
That was indeed complicated. As we go I'll probably become more specific as to what the direction of Hal and Buddy's emotional stuff is.

Hal might be up for a raid against the convent later, but getting some devil's pointy stick pales in comparison to the Harkon situation.

Quint's contract lead to conflict with Hal when we deal with Vetra-Kali. That's a long way off though.

Maugan Ra
2012-12-07, 03:09 PM
When the Mitrans banished Vetra-Kali originally, they took his eyes, the three emeralds you presently possess and are using as the centre of the ritual. If you manage to return the daemon prince to the material plane, for every eye you return to him, he is obliged to grant you a gift. One of those gifts, by command of Adrastus Thorn, is to be the Tears of Achlys, a powerful disease.

Quint has just signed an infernal contract specifying that he is to use one of the other gifts to, essentially, banish Vetra-Kali from the material plane for all time.

In terms of implications for the rest of you, well, it earns you the total and undying hatred of a Daemon Prince specializing in disease and suffering. Hexor will undoubtedly be furious as well, as would any number of other Abaddonian cultists - ironically, the Mitran purge of such elements might actually end up helping you out there.

Comissar
2012-12-07, 03:56 PM
Am I right in assuming that no other PC's are aware of what Quint's contract details?

Maugan Ra
2012-12-07, 03:59 PM
Yup. Dessiter was fairly discrete, and you can tell Hexor doesn't speak Auran by the way your internal organs are still internal.

Still, is Hal in fact planning to storm off after Harkon, or are people content to fortify and wait for him to return? If the latter, I'll probably resort to random rolling to see who is helping to guard which floor.

Snowfire
2012-12-07, 04:02 PM
I actually have another plan. It's slightly crazy, and I need to check the maps to ensure its viability, but it could work. Cloudsmeet, how many balls-of-doom does Kin have left?

Angstrom
2012-12-07, 05:35 PM
I don't like that we're sitting ducks waiting for Harkon to prepare an even more deadly incursion. At this point Hal is preventing from follow him through the teleporter by not knowing the word he used to flee. I think only Quint and Victor there when they left.

I don't know what Snow's plan is, but Buddy will probably try to guilt trip Kin into coming. Kydrak would also be approached with a deal to help Hal in exchange for aid in the convent attack. No plan as of yet to motivate others into coming. Probably teleport a tank in first to absorb any traps they have followed by the team, all buffed with spells ready. Take some nightmares and skeletons as well as Hexor if he's willing to leave the Horn.

Snowfire
2012-12-07, 05:37 PM
I don't like that we're sitting ducks waiting for Harkon to prepare an even more deadly incursion. At this point Hal is preventing from follow him through the teleporter by not knowing the word he used to flee. I think only Quint and Victor there when they left.

I don't know what Snow's plan is, but Buddy will probably try to guilt trip Kin into coming. Kydrak would also be approached with a deal to help Hal in exchange for aid in the convent attack. No plan as of yet to motivate others into coming. Probably teleport a tank in first to absorb any traps they have followed by the team, all buffed with spells ready. Take some nightmares and skeletons as well as Hexor if he's willing to leave the Horn.

Well, if we go in with the Nightmares, I would suggest we go in mounted. As those things can Plane Shift.

Angstrom
2012-12-07, 05:51 PM
Well, if we go in with the Nightmares, I would suggest we go in mounted. As those things can Plane Shift.

Exactly, and since its evening we won't have to spend long on any inhospitable planes before they can get us back home.

Maugan Ra
2012-12-07, 06:46 PM
Well, if you're going, post away. Working out what the word used for the teleporter won't be hard - it can probably be assumed that you get someone who overheard it to tell you what it was. And most of your various forces can either be summoned to wherever you want inside a couple of minutes, or are already basically on site.

The one possible problem is that the circle and thrones are only 10' by 10', so you can either send four people on foot through at a time, or one person mounted on a Nightmare - this is per round, as while I appreciate rules as written you can use readied actions to have everyone line up and go through instantly, that's honestly kinda silly.

So, who is going, and in what order? And seriously, you might as well send units of boggards and undead through first. I get that you don't especially trust the frog-men, but they're presently operating under a 'too afraid to protest' basis, and funneling them into the ranks of whatever enemy are waiting in order to clear the way for your arrival is a time honored evil tactic.

Cloudsmeet
2012-12-07, 07:12 PM
As far as balls of doom go, I have three left. That's not including my second level spells, which as I showed in the fight against Jurak, they aren't exactly weak.

Maugan Ra
2012-12-09, 06:18 PM
"My my my..." Victor chided, folding his arms. "Our group is becoming heavily indebted. I'm not sure what you just agreed to, but I'll wager that it was costly and puts us all at risk." He sighs and looks at the newly risen minions. "From the bodies I'm seeing, we dealt a nasty blow to the inquisitor's forces, but he escaped with several companions in good shape. I'm fairly sure he'll return shortly, and surely better prepared. I suggest we move quickly and pursue. I think I can recreate the portal word he used to teleport out of here. I say we round up the boggards and send a few in first, and we quickly follow."

'A nasty blow'? The attackers lost one soldier. In return you lost the wraiths, three cohorts (even if two were then raised) and a good half a dozen skeletons. Still, I'd be the first to admit that was at least in part because the enemy got the drop on you. The next fight should be considerably more even.

So, you have the potential following forces to commit to this (Hexor refuses to go. The terms of his binding forbid him from leaving the Horn unattended by either himself or his brother):
- Sixteen Boggards, plus Zikomo the Shaman.
- Half a dozen Nightmares
- 24 skeletal archers, half a dozen skeletal adventurers (though since they lost their class levels, they're basically just Melee troops) and an undead Minotaur.
- 10 Hell hounds
- The PCs and their four cohorts, plus Artephius the Golem.

You can get four medium sized creatures through the teleporter a round. My suggestion would be to send the Boggards, then the Melee skeletons (with Artephius), then the Hellhounds. After that, you can commit your PC wizards and cohorts. The lesser minions will force back any waiting enemy on the other side, as well as trigger some traps, so that when the Hell Hounds arrive they'll be able to use their breath weapons effectively before piling in. Then, with your characters mounted on Nightmares, you can move through and take to the skies pretty much instantly, to rain destruction down on the enemy and remain flexible.

This will, I admit, also have the advantage of allowing me to resolve a good few rounds before I need to factor player actions into the mix, and thus speed up what otherwise might threaten to degenerate into a senseless and grinding brawl. Odds are you'll still be able to get your dramatic showdown with Harkon (Hal could probably be the first PC to go through, just to guarantee it).

It's also your choice whether to commit the archers, and if so when in the order. In any case, any objections to that order?

Snowfire
2012-12-09, 06:20 PM
No objections on my part. And I'd say we have the archers come in after all of us have. Possibly with Zikomo - although I am hesitant to commit him to this.

Maugan Ra
2012-12-09, 06:33 PM
Zikomo insists on going in with the rest of his tribe. Partly because he's a fanatical lunatic who wants to destroy the enemies of Father Dagon, and partly because he doesn't want to run the risk of being left as the only Boggard in the caves.

OK, the archers can be committed after you lot easily enough. As for an order for the PCs to be committed, shall we say...
- Hal (because he really wants Harkon's head on a platter)
- Kydrak and Caldrel (you can mount two creatures on a Nightmare, I reckon, and the devout Asmodeans ought to get involved early on)
- Kin, because he needs to make up for accidentally vaporizing Vancouver.
- Quint and/or Victor and their cohorts, who generally don't have a massive investment in this aside from vengeance for Il'Tara.
- Ilvaria and Mira last, because you should probably keep the healer near the back.

I appreciate that not everyone might want to go, but it's a simple fact of not splitting your forces and leaving the guys behind too weak to fend off further assaults. Hence why at present you're also committing everything save Hexor. For simplicities sake, arriving at the battlefield via a teleporter will take a swift action.

Also, does anyone have any recommended map-making tools for me to use? I will be using a map of some kind here, since there's no way I'll keep track of everything otherwise, and just using excel seems... lackluster.

Angstrom
2012-12-09, 07:25 PM
If we're mounting two characters per nightmare, then Buddy will insist on bringing Kin or Ilvaria on Moon. Getting the blasting started sooner or having a channeller there to begin healing our boggards and hellhounds would both arguably be more important that having the two halfelves entering combat.

I'd prefer to keep as many boggards as possible around for their minion actions, so would be fine with opening with Artephius with the skeletal minotaur and scorpion, then hellhounds, and a few archers before the PCs.

Snowfire
2012-12-09, 07:32 PM
Um...no. Ilvaria will fight the idea of sending in undead first quite heavily considering that the enemy have access to at least one cleric. However...

What about the mud elementals? And Ilvaria is not going in in the first wave of PCs. She is way too squishy.

Cloudsmeet
2012-12-09, 08:03 PM
Kin will go in with Hal, no problems.

And I'd like to think of it not as making up for accidentally vaporizing Vancouver so much as accidentally not vaporizing Inquisitor Harkon.

Maugan Ra
2012-12-09, 08:18 PM
The mud Elementals cannot easily leave their mud pool - they count as staggered while they're outside it. Honestly, overall they're unlikely to do much for the rest of the mission, as with the spiral staircase sealed off their cave becomes fairly insignificant. Oh well.

OK, Kin on the Nightmare with Hal, that works well enough. And I'll assume the point about the undead and the enemy clerics stands, so we'll send the Boggards ahead first. I'll get to working out how this all ends up being resolved, then we can work on Hal and Kin taking their turns after I've posted.

Maugan Ra
2012-12-10, 12:53 AM
Right, I've worked out where everyone ended up ready for the start of the PC-involvement. Mostly, I had to use dice on my side table as an improvised map, together with a word document. A full and complete excel map, along with IC post explaining what you see, will occur tomorrow, since I am presently sleepy. For now...

1) Artephius is a viciously powerful combatant.
2) Your minions have taken heavy casualties, but on balance it probably works out better for you, since the enemy formation was broken and you are thus not facing infinite flanking attacks of doom upon arrival.
3) One word. Caltrops.

Thattaman
2012-12-10, 11:30 AM
Is this the day after the initial battle? Just so I know how long I've got before I have to go to the Mitran temple.

Maugan Ra
2012-12-10, 11:35 AM
This is all of an hour or so afterwards, no more. Anyway, post will be going up in the IC thread shortly, as I've finished making the map.

Thattaman
2012-12-10, 11:48 AM
How many people have our minions killed?

Maugan Ra
2012-12-10, 12:11 PM
So far, none. And...hmm. For some reason, Google Docs appears to have suddenly decided to lose and/or delete the map I was just making. This is very annoying. I'll have to make another now...

For Hal and Kin, basically, the Inquisitor alone is directly next to you (to the north) on arrival, having just killed Zikomo, and is also being attacked by three Hell Hounds. About ten feet away, to the south west, Artephius and two Hell Hounds and mixed in with the Ifrit, a soldier and both Rogues. The two clerics are hanging nearby, just out of Melee range of anyone, and another soldier is moving to support the Inquisitor.

Treya is right off to the side, near the exit of the room. The room as a whole is some 60' across, so 30' radius. This will be much easier to understand if I can get the map back. Working on it. In the meantime, consider what actions you want to make.

Comissar
2012-12-10, 02:25 PM
Too late to note that Quint has absolutely no interest in going through? Most of his damage spells have been used already and he's not particularly eager to almost meet his death again.

Maugan Ra
2012-12-10, 02:54 PM
Then he doesn't have to go through. It's pretty much up to you if you go or not. And given Il'Tara's reaction, I'm going to guess that she doesn't much fancy going again either.

Angstrom
2012-12-10, 04:09 PM
Too late to note that Quint has absolutely no interest in going through?

If he's willing to help out those of us going through with buffs or protective items that's even better.

Angstrom
2012-12-11, 12:20 AM
I'll post Hal's actions when the map goes up. He'll cast Mage Armour and Cat's Reflexes on himself before mounting up. He's also readied the Dazing Snapdragons. I'll PM you about other spells.

Buffing spells from characters who don't want to go join the battle would be great. If Hexor can use his SLAs to cast fly on Hal and Kin as a precaution that would be great.

Maugan Ra
2012-12-11, 10:17 AM
Right. Here (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AjoARjOK8Gp3dERHYjhOVFBpRnhOTlBfY1VWRlVBU FE)'s that map, as of Hal and Kin arriving on the battlefield. No idea why I couldn't access it from another computer, but it should be public for you all now.

Hal and Kin may now take their turns. And in this case, yes, pre-battle buffs are entirely allowed.

Angstrom
2012-12-11, 09:59 PM
Should I wait for Cloud before posting? Hal will cast Displacement and Mirror Image before going through, and I assume no one else has anything to add to that.

Cloudsmeet
2012-12-11, 10:28 PM
No need to wait on me, although we might want to get as far away as possible as soon as possible, so I can drop artillery in appropriate spots without catching ourselves in the blast.

Did Hexor cast fly on both of us during the buffing time?

Angstrom
2012-12-11, 11:01 PM
Mirror Image: [roll0]

If Kydrak is coming through next turn and is planning on casting Haste, he might as well do it as Kin and Hal are leaving so they benefit too.

I'll assume Kin has a fireball readied and is just waiting for Moon to take them out of the blast radius.

Also, Hal will cast his Snapdragons on the turn before they go through the teleporter. He suppresses the first firework but once he's through he'll open up with the other 5.

Maugan Ra
2012-12-11, 11:19 PM
Hexor has not cast anything on any of you, primarily because no one asked him to. And no, you cannot ask him retroactively.

Be aware that as Hal is the one directing Moon, he will need to use his move action to do so (otherwise the Nightmare will act according to it's instincts, which usually means trying to kick something to death. Outstanding instructions will hold - like 'keep circling the battlefield' - but you do need to use a move action to start it. So no snapdragons on the first turn, at least if you want to move away.

For that matter, I will stress you are inside a watchtower - the ceiling is only about eight foot or so over your heads at best, given that you are already mounted. And... I'll rule that the mirror images protect Hal, Kin and Moon, so long as they stay together. The Displacement likewise, but it only kicks in with the miss chance once the mirror images are gone.

Angstrom
2012-12-11, 11:43 PM
I assumed that since a Nightmare is a rather intelligent outsiders Moon would direct herself. Another assumption was that, since Moon is a monstrous hellsteed, she counts as combat trained. In the description of the ride skill (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/skills/ride) it says checks to control a mount in battle only apply to untrained steeds. She also knows Abyssal and Infernal so either Hal, Kin, or Buddy could ask Moon to do something and she'd probably do it if she's truly unflinchingly loyal to the one who summoned her.

Anyways, ceiling limitations noted. Does that mean Treya is standing in a window?

Maugan Ra
2012-12-11, 11:46 PM
Treya is in a doorway. There are other rooms through those doors, but until you move to be able to see them, they're represented as blank space on the map.

And... fair point about the Nightmare. Disregard previous point, then - ask Moon to go somewhere, and she will. You can include directions in your post, and specify that you'll only act at a certain point in her move as well, if you wish.

Comissar
2012-12-12, 03:30 AM
Apologies for the lack of posting, been having internet troubles recently. Getting an IC post up now.

Thattaman
2012-12-12, 06:58 AM
I will cast extended haste on as many of us as I can get, so that's enough for seven people, Kydrak, Caldrel, Hal, Kin and any others who are coming through for seven minutes.

Edit: I suppose the haste would also work on Quint seen as he's nearby. I'm thinking of naming my nightmare after Kydrak's favorite archdevil: Xaphan, Who Burns the Heavens.

Maugan Ra
2012-12-12, 01:28 PM
Just waiting on Kin's action, now that the Nightmare has moved you away. If you're concerned about friendly fire, Artephius cannot be harmed by magic, and is presently holding about half the enemy in a fight by himself...

Razorstorm
2012-12-12, 01:30 PM
Victor will cast Cat's Grace on himself, then refresh Shield on himself, Reyna, and Artephius before stepping through on his Nightmare (Reyna is on with him).

Can I enter yet, or should I wait?

Angstrom
2012-12-12, 01:51 PM
Would Victor offer Shields to everyone? I imagine most of the party would want the protection. Hal will offer to pay Victor for the buff if he wants. I'm tempted to say that Hal would caution against following them through right away since the plan is to start hurling offensive magic as quickly as possible. We don't want another character suddenly appearing in one of Kin's blasts...

Cloudsmeet
2012-12-12, 02:04 PM
Gee, it only happened like, a couple of minutes ago game time. Give Kin a break already :smalltongue:

Getting an IC post up.

EDIT: Also, I'm pretty sure that Hellhounds are immune to fire, otherwise this may hurt.

Or not, I should probably target around Artephius in any case, as Harkon alone will be better than if I just take out Harkon.

Maugan Ra
2012-12-12, 02:44 PM
The nature of this fight means that people end up basically entering piecemeal. Presently, next round Kydrak and Caldrel will enter, and then Victor and Reyna on the third round.

Oh, hey, post. *goes to read*

Cloudsmeet
2012-12-12, 02:46 PM
Rerolling failed roll:
[roll0]

EDIT: Also, Angstrom - hope you don't mind me copying your 'The world blurs for a moment before erupting into total chaos all around.' Thought it might give a good sense of continuity, since we went through together.

Angstrom
2012-12-12, 03:09 PM
It looks to me like Kin can get everyone but Vyte and Treya by targeting next to where we popped through.

Cloudsmeet
2012-12-12, 03:12 PM
I'm an idiot, for some reason I looked at Fireball's aoe and thought the diameter was 20ft, not the radius.

Permission to retcon and target where Angstrom suggests?

Maugan Ra
2012-12-12, 03:14 PM
Sure. Just working it out now.

Cloudsmeet
2012-12-12, 04:05 PM
But.... but... fireball...

Maugan Ra
2012-12-12, 04:09 PM
But attack of opportunity. Historically, pulling mounted fighters to the ground was the ideal way to fight them if you were infantry. Just because a lot of people seem to forget the combat maneuver rules doesn't mean I will, or the writer of the module.

You can still amend your actions, as I said, but the Inquisitor and his team have learned well the lesson of 'stab the wizard before he can cast anything'. Also, yes, there are caltrops on their teleport pad. It's one reason they did so well against the minions.

Cloudsmeet
2012-12-12, 04:10 PM
I know, I know.

I'm working on something. Looks like I'll have to delay my fireball spell until the next round which means there'll be all these allies in the way though, which sucks. Hope you guys don't mind being exploded (I jest, I jest).

Snowfire
2012-12-12, 05:31 PM
But attack of opportunity. Historically, pulling mounted fighters to the ground was the ideal way to fight them if you were infantry. Just because a lot of people seem to forget the combat maneuver rules doesn't mean I will, or the writer of the module.

You can still amend your actions, as I said, but the Inquisitor and his team have learned well the lesson of 'stab the wizard before he can cast anything'. Also, yes, there are caltrops on their teleport pad. It's one reason they did so well against the minions.

Ok, to put in a few points here. First off, I'm unsure that a trip maneuver is even legal under these situations, considering that is not the type of maneuver made to yank a guy off of a horse. If anything, I'd place it as a bull rush. However, that's me and I won't debate the legality of this tactic.

That said, the more important things. First off, was Moon in flight? Because I seem to recall that she took to the air during the withdraw and that might put somewhat of a muffler on combat maneuver attempts.

Secondly, rather more importantly, if Kin has a Shield effect up how the hell did the caltrop breach his AC? As they need an attack roll. And unless they're the vicious variety, they would need a 19 to hit him (without a Shield or other AC boosting spell in place). If they're vicious, they need a 15.

Not trying to criticise here, but...this sort of thing is important.

And...on a historical bent, killing the horses was the preferred method for infantry vs cavalry. As it was much easier, and horses have less armour. And when a horse went down, there was a chance that the guy riding would get pinned underneath it. Which helped a lot. Or, y'know, employing Dane Axe equipped troops who could cut through the horse and the rider in one motion and just keep on going. An axe head moving at 60 kph stings.

Of course, against full bore cavalry charges, this was rather difficult until firearms came along - and even then it didn't always work. But that is mass combat tactics, so not important.

Maugan Ra
2012-12-12, 05:40 PM
Well, there was a mention of Moon being urged into the air, but also talk of galloping, rearing on her hind legs and the like. So I went with the assumption that she was staying on the ground, given the tight environs.

And... it breached his AC by rolling pretty well? That does happen from time to time, even without counting the -4 AC penalty against Melee attacks from being prone. Why is that unbelievable?

Snowfire
2012-12-12, 05:43 PM
Which might be something to make sure of from Angstrom I think. Because you can do all those things in the air if you can fly freely.

And on the caltrop note, fair enough. It's just that, even with that penalty, it would need to roll rather nicely considering you get a +2 bonus to AC vs caltrops for wearing clothes (specifically shoes). But regardless. Main point was the flight one. And the history dump which I added in later. So nyeh.

Angstrom
2012-12-12, 05:53 PM
Originally I didn't know about the 8ft ceiling constraint so thought there was room to fly. I changed it to be ground movement, but I guess I missed parts.

Maugan Ra
2012-12-12, 06:25 PM
And party turn again, map updated accordingly. And yes, you can see how much health the various enemies have, because it's easier on me. They have a pair of clerics, which explains why they're still mostly healthy. Could probably do something about that.

Kydrak, Caldrel, Hal and Kin, go when ready.

Angstrom
2012-12-12, 09:00 PM
Saves:
Hal: [roll0] w Luck
Buddy: [roll1]
Moon: [roll2]

That was clutch. Hal and Moon both take 15 points of fire damage.

Angstrom
2012-12-12, 10:46 PM
Intimidate fix: [roll0]

Someone is going to fail that fort check at some point, and I will laugh uproariously.

I'll do the same if Buddy ever manages to confuse someone.

Angstrom
2012-12-12, 11:01 PM
And triple post.

Bluff fix: [roll0]

Comissar
2012-12-13, 03:32 AM
Thought I'd put it in a spoiler, apparently I didn't, Quint was casting Displacement on Kin (sorry to bring it up this late)

Thattaman
2012-12-13, 05:53 AM
I also cast Extended Haste before you guys left on Kydrak, Caldrel, Xaphan, Kin, Hal, Victor and Reyna. These are the pre-buffs Kydrak cast: Bulll's Strength and Bear's Endurance on Caldrel, Mage Armour on himself and Extended Haste on the pre mentioned folks.

Cloudsmeet
2012-12-13, 06:04 AM
And... I'll rule that the mirror images protect Hal, Kin and Moon, so long as they stay together. The Displacement likewise, but it only kicks in with the miss chance once the mirror images are gone.

It wasn't made a big deal of but Maugan mentioned this a little while ago - I missed it on my first couple of read throughs personally.

Maugan Ra
2012-12-13, 11:15 AM
Just clarifying here Thattaman, but Haste isn't quite that good. Xaphan moves a move action to carry you behind Harkon, and then can make a single attack as a standard action. Kydrak and Caldrel can both make full attacks then, for two strikes each, that's fine, but then Xaphan is all out of actions to move you away again.

Also, you will be triggering attacks of opportunity here, since Xaphan has to take off into flying from the arrival on the teleport pad, and thus moves through threatened areas.

Razorstorm
2012-12-14, 10:45 AM
Victor is fine using his Shield wand on everyone before they go through. He's not stingy with the charges from a level 1 wand. :-)

Maugan Ra
2012-12-14, 10:42 PM
And... congratulations. You are hereby victorious, and have as prisoners Inquisitor Harkon, Brother Vyte and Taskar Twelve-Knives. The latter of whom is attempting to buy his life with potentially valuable information.

I will note that the second sacrifice does require an individual of pure Mitran faith. So, you know, if Hal wants particular vengeance...

(You could try chasing down some of the fleeing mercenaries, but two of them have cast fly on themselves and are escaping, and one has gone off into the jungle. Time saving, mostly, since I was already delaying a fair bit trying to total up this post)

Cloudsmeet
2012-12-14, 10:50 PM
You know how I mentioned that if someone failed that fortitude save I would be laughing?

Guess what I"m doing right about now.

(Hint: It involves giggling uncontrollably)

Maugan Ra
2012-12-14, 10:52 PM
It was bound to happen eventually...

Cloudsmeet
2012-12-14, 10:57 PM
Technically so, yes. But still horribly unlikely, and therefore grounds for amusement when a tiny lizard manages to knock down a grown man in armor.

Angstrom
2012-12-15, 01:20 AM
So if Vyte demonstrates a death wish I suppose we can assume that with Hal's fireworks and the two swordsmen next to him he's done for.

I suppose when Victor and Reyna show up they can try to chase after the rogue, but Hal's cares mainly about the possibility of the cleric escaping and returning with more of the Mitran Inquisition. He wants the sorceress's soul since she did some damage to Van, Buddy, and a bunch of his favorite skeletons. Hal won't participate in the roundup directly, but he'd very much appreciate aid from the rest of the party in helping Buddy and Moon take out those two. Hal's focus is on retribution and if he can take Harkon back alive, he will focus on that task over all else. If Harkon is dead, Buddy eats his soul immediately.

Maugan Ra
2012-12-15, 01:22 AM
Right now, Harkon's alive, albeit on negative hit points and dropping.

Angstrom
2012-12-15, 01:44 AM
Wonderful...

I'll assume the wand got to Harkon in time to stabilize him. Buddy will go with whoever else wants to hunt the sorceress. Buddy would very much like to eat her soul after what she did to Van.

Whatever the party wants to do about the remaining raiders is up to them. If Kydrak wants to convince Hal to help him collect that weapon, prisoners would certainly serve as a bargaining chip.

Maugan Ra
2012-12-15, 01:56 AM
You are remembering that it was Kin who actually killed Van, yes? :smalltongue:

But yeah. You might be able to catch a few of the raiders, depending on who goes where and does what. Your choice.

Angstrom
2012-12-15, 02:16 AM
You are remembering that it was Kin who actually killed Van, yes? :smalltongue:

It'll be a long time before Hal forgets that.

Those fireballs of hers didn't help though.

I assume a single fireball from Kin can topple the dwarf while Victor, Reyna, and Buddy can take the sorceress. If Artephius can bomb the portcullis to pieces so Kydrak and Caldrel can follow the human rogue on nightmares with the hell hounds tracking him by scent. I know a half-orc rogue isn't quite the pet she asked for, but maybe Ilvaria will want to keep him.

Thattaman
2012-12-15, 04:37 AM
I hope what I said encourages him to give info after he gives you the apology you deserve.

Comissar
2012-12-15, 08:08 AM
There's a refreshing lack of subtlety in everything Kydrak does, it makes his threats all the more clear for what they are :smallwink:

Thattaman
2012-12-15, 08:26 AM
Hey! He was a bit more subtle than usual. Usually he'd just say "I'm going to torture you to death and enjoy it." And it's all true.

Snowfire
2012-12-15, 01:59 PM
Is Ilvaria and co. through the teleport at this point? I would think the answer would be yes considering how long speech takes. Just checking though.

Maugan Ra
2012-12-15, 01:59 PM
Yup. You can all be present if you like.

Snowfire
2012-12-15, 02:01 PM
Yup. You can all be present if you like.

Well, Ilvaria is going to try tracking down the sorceress. She has a proposition for her.

Maugan Ra
2012-12-15, 02:04 PM
The Sorceress cast Fly on herself and took off. That said, with the Nightmares, you can probably catch up, or at least get within conversation range. Feel free to post describing that catch up and this proposition.

Snowfire
2012-12-15, 02:05 PM
Can I PM you it instead? :smallamused:

Maugan Ra
2012-12-15, 02:06 PM
Sure, if you like.

Angstrom
2012-12-15, 02:24 PM
At this point, there isn't anything anyone can say to Harkon. Hal will teleport him back to the Horn, burn his limbs one by one, then Buddy will eat his soul. The body will be completely destroyed. With Harkon's soul gem, Hal will take Moon for a late night run to the Styx to give the gem to a Thanadaemon that can condemn his soul to Abaddon.

Maugan Ra
2012-12-15, 03:08 PM
Hmm. Workable. What are you intending to do for the second sacrifice, then? Sure, technically you could just kidnap some old devout granny and kill her instead, but that lacks a certain something...

Comissar
2012-12-15, 03:10 PM
At this point, there isn't anything anyone can say to Harkon. Hal will teleport him back to the Horn, burn his limbs one by one, then Buddy will eat his soul. The body will be completely destroyed. With Harkon's soul gem, Hal will take Moon for a late night run to the Styx to give the gem to a Thanadaemon that can condemn his soul to Abaddon.

We need that sacrifice, keep him alive until then please.

Angstrom
2012-12-15, 03:42 PM
We need that sacrifice, keep him alive until then please.

There's still a dwarven cleric out there, not to mention a convent full of Mitrans. Hal will not let Harkon live in captivity for months or risk him becoming a recurring antagonist. After what happened to Il'Tara, Quint should know that this man is too unpredictable and dangerous to keep in captivity. For Hal, its also very personal. Keeping a promise and all that.

Maugan Ra
2012-12-15, 04:28 PM
The dwarf won't really work - he's not a follower of Mitra, and thus isn't a viable sacrifice. The Abbey's inhabitants would be viable, though. The sacrifice is also in two weeks (I admit, I've been shuffling some encounters around, since they work less well in a play-by-post). Your choice, though.

Thattaman
2012-12-15, 05:27 PM
I think we should torture and then slowly kill Harkon, Kydrak now really hates him after he spat in his eye, so can he have about half an hour with Kydrak, Calrdel and Harkon in the torture room?

Maugan Ra
2012-12-15, 05:46 PM
So yeah. Harkon was baiting you, hoping for exactly this sort of situation. Funny how things work out...

Also, yes, most folks are off in pursuit of the fleeing individuals. I'll let you know what happens regarding them in a bit.

Angstrom
2012-12-15, 06:03 PM
That is a very specific spell that I did not know existed. I take it the lash failed its fortitude saving throw too.

I suppose we should have just killed him and used Hal's ring to tell him how much we all hate him. So are Artephius and the two Nightmares still in the room?

Maugan Ra
2012-12-15, 06:08 PM
Yeah, the Golem and your two Nightmares are still there.

And yes, Burst Bonds is an immensely specific spell. Harkon was actually initially intending to wait until you'd strapped him to a rack or something in the Horn, whereupon he'd break out and beat whoever was torturing him to death with a red-hot poker. But then Kydrak starts trying to cut off parts of his body and feed them to him...

Snowfire
2012-12-15, 06:10 PM
Only person who isn't there right now I think is Ilvaria. I think everyone else would be.

Thattaman
2012-12-16, 03:36 AM
I don't see how some of that could have happened, one Kydrak but his ear with his own claws, not a knife. How does he cast shatter, it needs a somatic component and Harkon is pinned down with Caldrel's magically enhanced strength. Also, Kydrak doesn't just leave his longsword lying around, it's his most prized possession, the way he kills people and his arcane bond, so he sheathes his sword, not just drop it.

Comissar
2012-12-16, 03:38 AM
So this fight is taking place in the war room?

Snowfire
2012-12-16, 06:24 AM
I don't see how some of that could have happened, one Kydrak but his ear with his own claws, not a knife. How does he cast shatter, it needs a somatic component and Harkon is pinned down with Caldrel's magically enhanced strength. Also, Kydrak doesn't just leave his longsword lying around, it's his most prized possession, the way he kills people and his arcane bond, so he sheathes his sword, not just drop it.

Claws, knife, pretty much same difference. Harkon is also casting Burst Bonds (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/b/burst-bonds), not shatter. The former of which has a verbal component only. As to the latter few points, magically enhanced strength isn't everything and I think Harkon was using his own sword. Which, for some reason, no one kicked away....

Thattaman
2012-12-16, 08:06 AM
Claws, knife, pretty much same difference. Harkon is also casting Burst Bonds (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/b/burst-bonds), not shatter. The former of which has a verbal component only. As to the latter few points, magically enhanced strength isn't everything and I think Harkon was using his own sword. Which, for some reason, no one kicked away....

Oh, I suppose it would have worked then.

Maugan Ra
2012-12-16, 08:29 AM
Yup, basically what Snowfire said. To the best of my knowledge, this is happening in the watchtower still, as everyone is still there. Also, based purely on things like flight time and length of conversation, this will probably be over before Ilvaria gets back. Simpler that way.

Snowfire
2012-12-16, 08:39 AM
]...which is exactly what he was hoping for, in total. He's basically baited you into killing him, while Buddy is out of the area. Man didn't fancy being a soul gem, but since everything he is forbids him from begging for his life...

The issue being that, last time I checked, Hal can drain souls now too...

Maugan Ra
2012-12-16, 08:40 AM
Really? Well, fair play if so, and Harkon has no way of knowing that, so his decisions remain the same.

Thattaman
2012-12-16, 08:44 AM
What sword did he have? Caldrel could use a better weapon.

Snowfire
2012-12-16, 08:45 AM
I'll admit, I'm more interested in what the dead cleric was carting around. Probably more for Mira than Ilvaria, but it couldn't hurt.

Maugan Ra
2012-12-16, 08:53 AM
Well, sum total of what the defeated individuals were carrying around:
- +1 Furious Falchion
- +1 Flaming Longsword,
- Belt of Physical Might (+2 str and con),
- Masterwork breastplate x3
- Silver and sapphire holy symbol (250gp)
- Masterwork heavy steel shields x2
- +1 Morningstar
- Masterwork full plate x3
- Masterwork Halberds x3
- Composite longbows (+4 str) x3
- 102 gp in loose change

Thattaman
2012-12-16, 09:05 AM
Dibs on flaming longsword and belt of physical might, both for Caldrel. I just realized that I've forgotten to chosse which fiendish boon he should have, I think I'll go with the monsters.

Snowfire
2012-12-16, 09:13 AM
Ilvaria/Mira will take the +1 Morningstar. Most everything else - unless others want it - will be reconditioned to 'blank' and then sold through the Farholde operation. Half the money from those sales will go into investment expansion within the the legitimate business.

Maugan Ra
2012-12-16, 09:39 AM
*sits back, whistles innocently*

Reactions in the IC, please.

Snowfire
2012-12-16, 09:44 AM
Hmmm....

Meh.

Or possibly;

Why thank you, I take it as a compliment that you're so terrified of us.

I will have an IC reaction up in a bit, but Ilvaria is going to push with every bit of influence she's got to not react to this. Sure, we got sold out. Sure, it was one of our allies who perhaps shouldn't have been able to. But...at the end of the day, they failed. And making them live with that over them is satisfaction enough.

Now if you don't mind, I'm just going to go have a look over our contract again. I think Ilvaria has some calls to make...:smallamused:

Maugan Ra
2012-12-16, 10:09 AM
Also, while I remember, everyone gains 3,300xp for the fight with Harkon and the Raiders. And a bonus 500xp to Hal for the resolution of backstory elements.

The others among you who wrote things into their backstories, don't worry, they will be coming up at later points in the game...

Thattaman
2012-12-16, 10:32 AM
Cool, a trip to Kyonin. Or maybe Branderscar.

Maugan Ra
2012-12-16, 10:33 AM
Who said you'd be going to them? The elves, they are angry, and armed with high explosive...

Thattaman
2012-12-16, 10:36 AM
I suppose Kydrak's half brother and king of a vast elven empire may be slightly miffed, but probably his uncles are a worse threat seen as Kydrak's brothers will be only children.

Maugan Ra
2012-12-16, 10:41 AM
Kings don't come out to kill troublesome individuals themselves. They send elite death squads to do it for them. And/or post massive bounties on your head.

Snowfire
2012-12-16, 10:47 AM
Kings don't come out to kill troublesome individuals themselves. They send elite death squads to do it for them. And/or post massive bounties on your head.

Oh? Well, I was looking for a way to supplement some of my investment...:smallamused:

Comissar
2012-12-16, 10:51 AM
I take it Quint is still currently unaware of this?

Maugan Ra
2012-12-16, 10:52 AM
He's aware. It's why I specified that Taskar would wait until you lot were all back at the Horn before saying anything.

Snowfire
2012-12-16, 11:08 AM
As a reference note, for all that Kydrak calls himself 'Prophet of Asmodeous', Ilvaria is last I checked the only person in the party who could actually claim a real, divine connection to the Lord of Hell. Being a cleric of a god does that.

Translation: Kydark should stop being an arrogant, whiny little bitch and actually start using the brains his vaunted 'noble birth' apparently gave him before he gets everyone killed.

Maugan Ra
2012-12-16, 11:15 AM
Aw, and here I was hoping to indulge in my favoured pastime of getting you all wiped out because of your own decisions. Though Caldrel, as an Anti-Paladin, might be able to claim some divine connection as well.

On an entirely unrelated note, don't forget the whole 'deal with the devil' thing. Kydrak still needs to retrieve an item from that Abbey in the next nine days.

(Also, please keep it civil. Politely veiled insults and mockery are much more entertaining, and less likely to cause OoC problems)

Snowfire
2012-12-16, 11:22 AM
Aw, and here I was hoping to indulge in my favoured pastime of getting you all wiped out because of your own decisions. Though Caldrel, as an Anti-Paladin, might be able to claim some divine connection as well.

On an entirely unrelated note, don't forget the whole 'deal with the devil' thing. Kydrak still needs to retrieve an item from that Abbey in the next nine days.

(Also, please keep it civil. Politely veiled insults and mockery are much more entertaining, and less likely to cause OoC problems)

Emphasis on the might there. And she's still got a stronger connection :smalltongue:

Oh, I haven't forgotten at all. I actually have a rather amusing plan for that, which will be revealed shortly. The chain's just kept on display, right?

(And yeah, I will - and I think I did in IC. Regarding OoC stuff, apologies if it offends.)

Maugan Ra
2012-12-16, 11:26 AM
Just a friendly note to head off any problems. Anyway...

The relic in question is the weapon of a Gulegon, an Ice Devil. It's displayed in the main chapel at the Abbey of Saint Cynthia-Celeste, wrapped in silver chains. Visitors to the Abbey can certainly see it, but it's hardly just sitting on a table right in the open - the thing is dangerous, after all...

Snowfire
2012-12-16, 11:40 AM
Wrapped or locked? Or both? And are the chain's secured to the ground or otherwise. Because if the former I have a fun idea that basically involves carrying off the chain, and the chains around it.

For that matter...Angstrom? What's Hal's bluff like? I just got another idea..

Maugan Ra
2012-12-16, 11:42 AM
You don't know quite that much about the security measures on it - most of your information at the moment comes from rumour and a few discrete enquiries. Precise details like that would require getting you or an ally/cohort in to have a look at it.

Snowfire
2012-12-16, 11:49 AM
You don't know quite that much about the security measures on it - most of your information at the moment comes from rumour and a few discrete enquiries. Precise details like that would require getting you or an ally/cohort in to have a look at it.

Oh, working on that. Don't you worry. Just need to...negotiate some details.

Snowfire
2012-12-16, 11:59 AM
Oh, and as a question...what xp track are we using?

Maugan Ra
2012-12-16, 12:09 PM
Medium. You should still be level 7 by my count, though I've not been keeping precise track. Ought to be level 9 by the end of the ritual.

My other option is just leveling you all up at distinct points, but I'm unsure about that.

Snowfire
2012-12-16, 12:38 PM
If on the medium track...we're all nominally at 41,480/51,000 xp. If my math is correct. Which it should be. So yeah, still level 7. I admit, I'm kinda yearning for level 8 and 3rd level Arcane/Divine spellcasting.

Although...looking at things we're heavily below WBL be everything I can see. Harkon's group should help a bit there, but still...

*shrugs*

As for distinct leveling, I use it. But that's mainly because most of the encounters I run are custom ones that kinda bypass the CR system. So it's simpler to go "You level here" then work out xp for totally custom critters.

Maugan Ra
2012-12-16, 12:54 PM
I'll switch to just leveling folks up at the right times, then. The encounters in the book are more centered around a group of 4 players, I think, which might explain why you're behind on WBL.

Snowfire
2012-12-16, 01:04 PM
Most paths should have something somewhere in them that talks about how to balance that all out. But it may not. If so, and you want to bring us up if we're lagging on WBL (which I'm pretty sure we are), you could just have us discover a hidden panel in the treasury or something similar.

Angstrom
2012-12-16, 02:57 PM
For that matter...Angstrom? What's Hal's bluff like? I just got another idea..

+10 base. He can take 10 on bluffs to appear innocent too.

Hal and Buddy can do some reconnaissance on the convent but will need help with abjurations to mask their auras.

Snowfire
2012-12-16, 03:16 PM

Hal and Buddy can do some reconnaissance on the convent but will need help with abjurations to mask their auras.

Heh. Mira can do that if necessary. Angelskin is such a wonderful material...

Maugan Ra
2012-12-16, 03:39 PM
Ilvaria reckons that's probably a decent payment for the job, given how fiercely the Mitrans guard their holy sites. She also realises that Taskar is going to have to lay low after this, which is probably a good thing, since he wouldn't want to be too blatant in the wake of something like that.

Snowfire
2012-12-16, 03:57 PM
Ok, so does anyone have Dispel Magic in their spellbooks?

Thattaman
2012-12-16, 04:27 PM
Does anyone have 'Stone Shape' and would be willing to trade it for any spells in Kydrak's spell book.

Angstrom
2012-12-16, 04:39 PM
Sorry Thattaman if that was harsh, but Caldrel did just undo Hal's efforts to handle Harkon permanently. Your characters basically sent Hal's nemesis to Heaven so he'll never forgive truly that, no matter the circumstances.

As for stone shape, only Van was able to cast it. As far as I know, only Kydrak and Quint have access to 4th level spells so no one in the party has it.

Anyways, not to slow the momentum of the heist plan, but have we figured out if we're going after the dwarf and rogue? Also, how we're securing the outpost? Buddy and Moon are still there to help, and several of us have plenty of spells left.

Snowfire
2012-12-16, 04:50 PM
but have we figured out if we're going after the dwarf and rogue?

Dealt with :smallamused::smalltongue:

Well, one of them at least.

Comissar
2012-12-17, 05:24 AM

Quint has access to Misdirection

Snowfire
2012-12-18, 06:25 PM
Ok, the post I am about to make assumes that Kin has shared his spellbook. If this is not the case, I apologise and hope we can work it out.

Also, Ilvaria's suggestion for the Baron is not to kill him. Killing him would be far too merciful.

Cloudsmeet
2012-12-18, 06:31 PM
Kin is more than willing to share his spellbook with anyone who has shared theirs with him.

Razorstorm
2012-12-18, 09:06 PM
Victor is also open to sharing.

Is there anyone who isn't open to sharing?

Snowfire
2012-12-18, 09:10 PM
*points at Kydrak*

I kid! I kid! :smalltongue:

Anyways, this could go...interestingly. Ilvaria has...plans regarding the chain and suchlike. They'll be fun to play out :smallamused:

Maugan Ra
2012-12-19, 10:05 PM
Well, Taskar can probably handle any initial scouting himself. He's CN, so he won't set off any detect evil wards or the like.

Though out of some vague sense of mercy, I'm just going to quote this here:

"OK, I have an alternate deal. There is a temple of Mitra in Farholde, in that temple is a relic that once belonged to a powerful devil. I will go into that temple and take back that relic in exchange for my brothers life."

Do note the exact wording there. Kydrak is to go into the Temple, and Kydrak is to take back the relic. While the wording and thus the terms of the agreement do not preclude him receiving help and support, if he is not the one organizing this or indeed the one to reclaim the relic, the terms of his contract are not fulfilled. Presently, if Ilvaria continues as she has been, then Kydrak violates an infernal contract and the Drow ends up in possession of a powerful bargaining chip for any deals with a Greater Devil.

(Not that I expect her to neccessarily complain about this...)

I'll say all the Wizards have sufficient intelligence to work this out, though Ilvaria has so far kept her own arrangements concealed. Even so, do try to be more careful with your wording when interacting with Devils in the future, hmm? :smallwink:

Beyond that, I just need some information on what folks want to do with regards to Elise and the Baron. You do have several weeks of relatively quiet time coming up now, if elaborate revenge schemes are intended.

Snowfire
2012-12-20, 02:24 AM
Well, Taskar can probably handle any initial scouting himself. He's CN, so he won't set off any detect evil wards or the like.

Though out of some vague sense of mercy, I'm just going to quote this here:

Do note the exact wording there. Kydrak is to go into the Temple, and Kydrak is to take back the relic. While the wording and thus the terms of the agreement do not preclude him receiving help and support, if he is not the one organizing this or indeed the one to reclaim the relic, the terms of his contract are not fulfilled. Presently, if Ilvaria continues as she has been, then Kydrak violates an infernal contract and the Drow ends up in possession of a powerful bargaining chip for any deals with a Greater Devil.

(Not that I expect her to neccessarily complain about this...)

I'll say all the Wizards have sufficient intelligence to work this out, though Ilvaria has so far kept her own arrangements concealed. Even so, do try to be more careful with your wording when interacting with Devils in the future, hmm? :smallwink:

Beyond that, I just need some information on what folks want to do with regards to Elise and the Baron. You do have several weeks of relatively quiet time coming up now, if elaborate revenge schemes are intended.

*whistles innocently*

Nothing to see here folks, nothing to see here :smallcool:

Also, thought about that. Interestingly, I believe there's a loophole. Which, if asked nicely, Ilvaria will explain. Of course, said loophole involves letting Ilvaria gain an inordinate amount of good faith from and influence with the Abbey, but that's not her problem.

*points at Magic Aura*

And there's always:

"Dessiter, Dessiter, Dessiter."

I believe one can negotiate alternate terms :smallamused:

Wouldn't be Ilvaria's fault if they ended up marvelously in her favour, now would it?

Dance, puppets, dance!

Thattaman
2012-12-20, 11:24 AM
The mercenary said he needs magical support and a seventh level wizard is a much better magical support than a scroll. Kydrak can go with him and problem solved, but I would quite like a scroll of invisibility. Illusion is one of Kydrak's few weak points. And he'd be willing to share spellbooks with you. I may not have shown this but Kydrak greatly respects all of you. It's everyone else that he despises. You guys are all chosen of Asmodeous and Kydrak is a devout, so he respects you utmost.

Snowfire
2012-12-20, 01:20 PM
The mercenary said he needs magical support and a seventh level wizard is a much better magical support than a scroll. Kydrak can go with him and problem solved, but I would quite like a scroll of invisibility. Illusion is one of Kydrak's few weak points. And he'd be willing to share spellbooks with you. I may not have shown this but Kydrak greatly respects all of you. It's everyone else that he despises. You guys are all chosen of Asmodeous and Kydrak is a devout, so he respects you utmost.

Yeah....no. For one thing I'm pretty sure that he would flat refuse to work with Kydrak. For another? Ilvaria has no reason to trust Kydrak other than the contract between them. And he has chosen basically nil in regards to respect towards her. He actively insulted her - and then rejoiced her death (worked out from his annoyance at her coming back to life).

So, is she going to help him any more than she absolutely has to under the terms of the contract? No.

Emphatically: no.

So. She is going to - if she can - get Kin to craft a scroll of Dispel Magic for Taskar, and then pay him to retrieve the chain. If all goes to plan, once she has the chain, negotiations can ensue.

Also, Maugan, I will be pming you the loophole I see in the contract just to make sure it works. It's all in the emphasis, y'see :smallbiggrin:

Thattaman
2012-12-20, 01:55 PM
Yes, but that happened about a day or two after they met and all Kydrak knew about her was that she was elven. Once he learned about her devotion to Asmodeous, she gained more respect than most of the others. Barring Victor and possibly Quint.

Maugan Ra
2012-12-20, 02:13 PM
You do still have to, you know, actually show this respect. And even then, it isn't required for it to be returned.

Beyond that, the Pact of Thorns makes it entirely legal for Ilvaria to screw you over by doing this. The Third Loyalty compels her to deal with you fairly and honorably, and right now she simply isn't dealing with you at all. She can also claim precedent in the fact that she was already making inquiries about the relic before Kydrak made his own pact to retrieve it. So long as she doesn't actively sabotage any attempt Kydrak makes in retrieving it himself, she's quite safe.

It is, of course, possible for him to contest this. Just have to make your arguments to Dessiter, who is empowered in his role as writer of the contract to arbitrate legal disputes over it.

Thattaman
2012-12-20, 03:33 PM
I'm putting up a post IC of Kyrak and Cladrel discussing the other characters and the future of the Nessian Knot. It will give and insight on the characters and what they think.

Angstrom
2012-12-20, 03:44 PM
Vetra-Kali Eats-the-Eyes at last. Kind of a meek response by Hal, but this is a daemon-prince after all.

To weigh in on the weapon plan, Hal is now rather unlikely to help out more than he has to. He likes the idea of letting the half-elves suffer as a result of Dessiter's offers after having to refuse his. Some hubris about their zealotry getting them killed. By his nature, he's also against letting a lone thief try to steal the thing on his own. A single, surgical theft is more his style. He doesn't expect Taskar to succeed and predicts that the convent will go on alert as a result of an attempted robbery. They're probably on edge as it is due to being so close to the Horn.

As for retribution against the Knot Hibernal; Hal is for calling Tiadora. If they found a loophole in Thorn's contract, he'll want to know. Killing any other Bound without Thorn's permission will look incriminating whereas bringing him news of Elise's treachery may allow us to cut a deal for additional resources.

Thattaman
2012-12-20, 03:54 PM
Is Hal more annoyed with Kydrak torturing Harkon or Caldrel killing him. 'Cause Kydrak was trying to help you. Trying to see if he can get Harkon to bow down to you, but when he got spat on, he had to cut off at least one ear. Then when he attacked Caldrel had to kill him.

Maugan Ra
2012-12-20, 03:56 PM
Is Hal more annoyed with Kydrak torturing Harkon or Caldrel killing him. 'Cause Kydrak was trying to help you. Trying to see if he can get Harkon to bow down to you, but when he got spat on, he had to cut off at least one ear. Then when he attacked Caldrel had to kill him.

*ahem*

Non-lethal damage. It exists. And can be done with a lethal weapon, so long as you accept penalties on the attack roll.

Thattaman
2012-12-20, 03:59 PM
Oh, yeah. That was me forgetting rules rather than what they would have done, but I suppose that's true. I'll see if Kydrak can make it up to Hal somehow.

Angstrom
2012-12-20, 04:01 PM
Yeah, what Maugan said.

He's way more mad at Caldrel than at Kydrak. Harkon was barely a standing, and Caldrel could have dropped him into the negatives easily. Hal had made it clear he had plans for Harkon's soul but he never needed Harkon to bow down to him. Demanding respect/manners from beaten foes seems to be more Kydrak's thing, while Hal doesn't expect such from prisoners doomed to the Styx. Still, Harkon attacking Kydrak proved he was afraid of what Hal was planning on doing to him, which is a small comfort.

Comissar
2012-12-20, 04:05 PM
I take it Quint cannot see/hear the disturbance Hal is at?

Maugan Ra
2012-12-20, 04:05 PM
Vetra-Kali Eats-the-Eyes at last. Kind of a meek response by Hal, but this is a daemon-prince after all.

Trust me, when dealing with a daemon prince, meek and respectful is about right.

You do have that amulet thing that Tiadora gave you. Breaking it will summon her or another agent of Thorn for reporting purposes.

Maugan Ra
2012-12-20, 04:06 PM
I take it Quint cannot see/hear the disturbance Hal is at?

Fair point. If he looks directly up, Quint can see three green lights floating near where Hal is (albeit Hal is basically a silhouette at this point).

Snowfire
2012-12-20, 04:07 PM
You do have that amulet thing that Tiadora gave you. Breaking it will summon her or another agent of Thorn for reporting purposes.

Oh, forgot about that. Yeah, I think that will be getting used at some point in the near future. And then the games shall begin...:smallamused:

Cloudsmeet
2012-12-20, 04:35 PM
Things are looking... interesting.

Angstrom
2012-12-20, 05:12 PM
Ilvaria is really getting deep in the plotting here.

I can't recall who has the amulet. Maybe Victor?

And whoever wants to be in the Sanctum to witness Hal invoking the names can assume they make it in time. Halflings only have a 20ft speed so it'd be easy for any of the humans to catch up.

Snowfire
2012-12-20, 05:17 PM
Ilvaria is really getting deep in the plotting here.

Correction: Ilvaria is Drow. This level of plotting is a slow day. :smallcool:

Snowfire
2012-12-20, 05:28 PM
Oh, as point I forgot, Hal actually can't get IN to the Sanctum without Mira's help. Mainly as she Moonlit Bridge-ed it shut when Harkon attacked. And it hasn't been 24 hours.

Even more amusingly, he isn't aware of this fact. So he's going to reach the top of the stairs and find the Sanctum sealed by a solid wall of moonlight.

Maugan Ra
2012-12-20, 05:35 PM
There is a balcony-type entrance to the Sanctum accessible via flight, so he can get in (Mira blocked the stairs, to my knowledge, but 50ft of unbending bridge can't do that and cover the balcony.

Not much point debating the exact truth of this, since worst comes to worst he does it tomorrow instead.

Angstrom
2012-12-20, 05:38 PM
I didn't notice that. I hadn't realized she was allowed to keep multiple up at a time.

If Ilvaria would have returned to the Sanctum after finishing negotiations, it may be easier to say that she's there instead of having Buddy fetch her. I don't know about the timing, but I assumed Hal was flying for a while since Quint had time to get on top of the Horn after hearing Taskar's confession.

Snowfire
2012-12-20, 05:57 PM
I didn't notice that. I hadn't realized she was allowed to keep multiple up at a time.

If Ilvaria would have returned to the Sanctum after finishing negotiations, it may be easier to say that she's there instead of having Buddy fetch her. I don't know about the timing, but I assumed Hal was flying for a while since Quint had time to get on top of the Horn after hearing Taskar's confession.

Eh, fair enough. We can do that. And then talk re: what Buddy saw :smallbiggrin:

Snowfire
2012-12-20, 06:23 PM
Ok, Cloudsmeet, we're good to go for that pm plotting.

Same with you Angstrom, although not so much pm plotting in this case. Being open can be fun.

Comissar
2012-12-20, 06:47 PM
Quint used the last amulet and, I believe, was handed the replacement. I don't think anybody has had cause to take it off of him, so he'll be the one with it if memory serves.

Maugan Ra
2012-12-20, 06:57 PM
Quint should indeed be the one with the amulet still.

Snowfire
2012-12-20, 07:50 PM
Also, Comissar, are you aware that Quint's Auran is actually Irish Gaelic?

Just checking, as I recognised it a while ago and then got my girlfriend -who's studying it - to have a look. And she agreed. Particularly your last spell-phrase.

"Hear far", really? :smalltongue:

Thattaman
2012-12-21, 02:25 AM
Yes, he is aware. He mentioned it earlier in the thread.

Comissar
2012-12-21, 04:27 AM
Also, Comissar, are you aware that Quint's Auran is actually Irish Gaelic?

Just checking, as I recognised it a while ago and then got my girlfriend -who's studying it - to have a look. And she agreed. Particularly your last spell-phrase.

"Hear far", really? :smalltongue:

I'm using google translate, so not all the phrases work properly. I had to get inventive for Clairaudience :smalltongue:

I just like the idea of actually using a real language to represent a language different to common. For example, I'm using Icelandic to represent Ignan.

Maugan Ra
2012-12-21, 09:01 AM
I'd be quite surprised if he was typing out whole messages in a language without realizing what it was :smalltongue:

Anyway, still waiting for some talk of what (if anything) folks are planning to do regarding the fact that the Seventh Knot apparently sold you out. There's been some talk of horrible vengeance and the like, but I do need specifics here.

Also, please copy me in on any and all IC-related scheming PMs.

Comissar
2012-12-21, 01:11 PM
Quint has a scheme he plans on undertaking, he'll be informing the group shortly.

Thattaman
2012-12-21, 02:00 PM
Kydrak's constantly scheming, one's he only shares with Asmodeous. And of course Maugan Ra. But his schemes aren't necessarily bad for the team.

Maugan Ra
2012-12-21, 03:14 PM
*carefully sets up long lines of dominos, interspaced with powder kegs*

Don't mind me. Carry on...

Thattaman
2012-12-21, 03:26 PM
Ahh, Kydrak's nice side is coming out. :smallbiggrin: This is definitely not part of his schemes and plots.

Maugan Ra
2012-12-21, 04:39 PM
I'll note that we do now have Ilvaria, Quint, Hal and Kydrak in the Sanctum. Victor and Kin could probably get involved as well if they wanted to conveniently turn up.

Thattaman
2012-12-22, 06:44 AM
What Kydrak's trying to say, is that we shouldn't just take them down at once. Gently start weaving doubt into each of their minds until, by the time we've finished, they're killing each other.

Edit: I'm thinking of doing what Comissar's been doing with languages. Kydrak could say all his spells in Infernal. But then what language could I use as infernal?

Comissar
2012-12-22, 06:49 AM
What Kydrak's trying to say, is that we shouldn't just take them down at once. Gently start weaving doubt into each of their minds until, by the time we've finished, they're killing each other.

Quint knows that. :smalltongue:

Thattaman
2012-12-22, 07:00 AM
Georgian looks pretty cool, its translation isn't that accurate, but you get the impression. მე მოკლან რომ დგას გზა ეშმაკი და მისი დიდების გავრცელების გასწვრივ მტრის არასამთავრობო მორწმუნეებს და ვაჩვენოთ სწორი გზა.

Snowfire
2012-12-22, 07:37 AM
Just as a note, unless it's been changed, you are aware that Disguise Self does nothing to change what your voice sounds like, right?

Also, what did that daemonic thing look like to Detect Magic?

Maugan Ra
2012-12-22, 12:45 PM
Disguise Self does not work on auditory or tactile effects, no. Nor does it provide you with the target's mannerisms. And the Seventh Knot are considerably closer than you lot are - their cleric and ranger are actually identical twin brothers, don't forget. Your chances of easily impersonating one of them are going to be quite low. It could work, but still, it will be difficult.

To Ilvaria's detect-magic vision, that effect in the Sanctum didn't actually look like a magical spell at all. Actually, it looked more like an actual daemon for the brief moments before it struck Hal.

Comissar
2012-12-22, 01:27 PM
So... The circlets cast disguise self? Unless I'm mistaken, I don't remember seeing it said what their effect was beyond physically changing the body. Worth noting that those farmers didn't think Quint's "Distressed Damsal" impersonation was anything odd, I'd think if his voice hadn't been changed to match they'd have reacted less trustingly than they had.

Also, was aware that mannerisms wouldn't change with a spell.

Also also, all this lack of confidence!

Snowfire
2012-12-22, 01:37 PM
Disguise self is a magical illusion effect that covers the visual spectrum alone. Alter Self might be able to change your voice and suchlike. But that would likely be a disguise check (or similar) to get it right. And then there's accent and everything.

That aside, Ilvaria will be fighting against this plan for one, very simple reason. The Seventh Knot's Circlets? They have Divination as well as Illusion magic in them. Call Tiadora if you want. But her advice is to leave it. Elsie screwed up. Don't give her the satisfaction of a reaction. Just keep going. It'll infuriate her.

Anger = careless. Careless, in our line of work = dead.

Also, I think Ilvaria may be inviting their Cleric out for a chat. And no killing him unless we have to. If he's betrayed them too, she'll be wanting to keep him for something quite special.

Quite...quite special. Hell loves it when you return traitors to them y'see :smallamused:

Also, I just worked out a way to weaponise Moonlight Bridge :smallbiggrin:

Maugan Ra
2012-12-22, 01:39 PM
Since Ilvaria has basically Permenent detect magic, it's not just the Seventh's Circlets that radiate some degree of divination magic. Your ones do as well.

Snowfire
2012-12-22, 01:44 PM
Since Ilvaria has basically Permenent detect magic, it's not just the Seventh's Circlets that radiate some degree of divination magic. Your ones do as well.

Oh really?

I take 20 on a Spellcraft check. What's the Divination component?

Maugan Ra
2012-12-22, 01:56 PM
It takes you a while to be sure, but it appears that the Circlets also function as cursed items of Inescapable Location. There should be a related item bound to these Circlets somewhere, and whoever possesses said amulet will have a much easier time scrying on you.

Given that it was Cardinal Thorn who gave you the Circlets...

Snowfire
2012-12-22, 02:01 PM
Eh. Only good policy then.

Any way to disable the curse? Just curious mind :smallbiggrin:

Maugan Ra
2012-12-22, 02:03 PM
Not without destroying the items, no.

Snowfire
2012-12-22, 02:06 PM
Not without destroying the items, no.

Good to know.

Now...what level is Nondetection....

Comissar
2012-12-22, 02:33 PM
Good to know.

Now...what level is Nondetection....

Quint has access to Nondetection :smalltongue:

The problem with not reacting at all is that Elise will likely make another attempt, one more likely to succeed. I don't particularly want to be waiting around for that.

Also, can I get confirmation as to what the circlets cast to create the change? Because it does matter :smalltongue:

Snowfire
2012-12-22, 02:44 PM
Quint has access to Nondetection :smalltongue:

The problem with not reacting at all is that Elise will likely make another attempt, one more likely to succeed. I don't particularly want to be waiting around for that.

Also, can I get confirmation as to what the circlets cast to create the change? Because it does matter :smalltongue:

They count as a Hat of Disguise. That was stated...ages back.

And I never said that we'd not react below board. Just...don't react openly. Talk to Tiadora, see what she says. And I will have an IC post up for Ilvaria in a bit.

Also, Cloudsmeet, I await your pm :smallamused:

Maugan Ra
2012-12-22, 02:45 PM

And I never said that we'd not react below board. Just...don't react openly. Talk to Tiadora, see what she says. And I will have an IC post up for Ilvaria in a bit.

Also, Cloudsmeet, I await your pm :smallamused:

I'll repeat my request to be copied in on those PMs. I got the one Cloudsmeet originally sent you, but not anything you sent back.

Snowfire
2012-12-22, 02:52 PM
I'll repeat my request to be copied in on those PMs. I got the one Cloudsmeet originally sent you, but not anything you sent back.

Oh right. My apologies. Will do so.

Comissar
2012-12-22, 02:59 PM

Ah, I must have missed that. Thankyou.

Can't say I was intending a particularly open reaction, but I'm not overly keen on having to report to Tiadora over this. Was there more to the plan than that?

Snowfire
2012-12-22, 03:06 PM
Ah, I must have missed that. Thankyou.

Can't say I was intending a particularly open reaction, but I'm not overly keen on having to report to Tiadora over this. Was there more to the plan than that?

Yes. Secret message is secret.

Angstrom
2012-12-22, 07:31 PM
Also, I think Ilvaria may be inviting their Cleric out for a chat. And no killing him unless we have to. If he's betrayed them too, she'll be wanting to keep him for something quite special.

I agree that letting the clerics have a chat would be a good idea. Setting up such a conversation might be tricky, any religious holidays coming up?

A conversation with Tiadora to establish how things will work after we dispose of Elise would be good. Hal would prefer that Thorn set us up with the resources to look after Farholde ourselves instead of bringing in replacements for the 7th. If we negotiate beforehand, we stand to ensure everything ends as favourably for us a possible and potentially rewarded with additional pawns to add to the organization.

They were planning on tricking us into a trap at a party, why don't we do the same? Invite them to the Horn for a celebratory meal and finish them there. Elise may not accept, but at the very least we stand to learn how much she knows we know. If she knows we learned about her treachery and suspects we're planning a trap she'll refuse, but if she thinks we're unaware and simply seeking to repair the bridges Hal burned when he refused Elise access to the Horn she'll accept in order to maintain her masque. She'll probably see the opportunity to learn about our defences as too tempting a chance to miss.

Hal and Quint should have no trouble with reconnaissance, though the process would be easier if we had a steady supply of captives for Hal to monetize. Cacodaemons are stelar spies and Hal just so happens to be able to enlist the aid of a lot of them thanks to his daemonic boon.

Snowfire
2012-12-22, 07:49 PM
I agree that letting the clerics have a chat would be a good idea. Setting up such a conversation might be tricky, any religious holidays coming up?

Oh, I'm sure the plot can provide us one of those.

A conversation with Tiadora to establish how things will work after we dispose of Elise would be good. Hal would prefer that Thorn set us up with the resources to look after Farholde ourselves instead of bringing in replacements for the 7th. If we negotiate beforehand, we stand to ensure everything ends as favourably for us a possible and potentially rewarded with additional pawns to add to the organization.

Very much agreed. And truth be told, we have most of the required resources in Farholde. Ilvaria just needs to tell you about them :smallwink:

They were planning on tricking us into a trap at a party, why don't we do the same? Invite them to the Horn for a celebratory meal and finish them there. Elise may not accept, but at the very least we stand to learn how much she knows we know. If she knows we learned about her treachery and suspects we're planning a trap she'll refuse, but if she thinks we're unaware and simply seeking to repair the bridges Hal burned when he refused Elise access to the Horn she'll accept in order to maintain her masque. She'll probably see the opportunity to learn about our defences as too tempting a chance to miss.

Eh, maybe, maybe not. But that could definitely work. If she refuses, we can assume that she knows we know. But again, she could just be assuming that we known she knows we know. So...complicated. But definitely agree. Ilvaria will actually trade some of the loot from Harkon's party for a Rod of Merciful Metamagic for Kin. She wants this lot alive. For as said, Asmodeus enjoys traitors...:xykon:

Hal and Quint should have no trouble with reconnaissance, though the process would be easier if we had a steady supply of captives for Hal to monetize. Cacodaemons are stellar spies and Hal just so happens to be able to enlist the aid of a lot of them thanks to his daemonic boon.

Oh, I'm sure something regarding the first part can be arranged after our soon-to-occur conversation. As to the second...well. If you can acquire enough of them, then the illicit side of things just got a whole lot more profitable.

On that note however.

Knowledge (Planes) to try and work out what type of daemon Ilvaria saw running into Hal.

[roll0]

Oh well :smallsigh:

Maugan Ra
2012-12-22, 07:58 PM
Ilvaria has no bloody idea, beyond 'big and viciously powerful'.

No particular religious holidays coming up in the near future, no. So, are you people intending to send a message to Elise, or would you like to call Tiadora and Thorn first to discuss those aforementioned details?

Thattaman
2012-12-23, 10:56 AM
We might need to discuss these circlets. If Thorn can scry on us then surely we'll need to take precautions. And then he'd already know what Elise has done before she did it. We will have to be extremely careful not to do anything too treacherous. Like giving yourself to a different master that we'll have to kill at the end of this adventure... looking at no one in particular... Hal. If we even say anything that could go against his authority then he could send some devil to rip us into itsy bitsy pieces.

Snowfire
2012-12-23, 11:27 AM
Well yes, you might. If, of course, Ilvaria tells you. Which...well, she doesn't really see the need. I mean, obviously you're intelligent enough to have looked into that yourself.

And I think you're vastly overestimating the usability of Scrying (on a per day basis), the level of actual care Thorn gives regarding his minions, and our actual importance. Right now...we're not really.

Important that is.

And I am for calling Tiadora first, if I don't get a chance to get an IC post up before decision time.

Maugan Ra
2012-12-23, 11:52 AM
Pretty much. Adrastus Thorn is a busy, busy man, after all. If he had the time to sit around observing your mission every second of the day, he'd be doing it himself. As it is, he's somewhat preoccupied with masterminding an all-out war against the nation of Talingarde from the shadows and generally performing the will of Asmodeus.

Odds are he still checks in on you periodically, but you're safe enough so long as you aren't committing grand scale treachery.

Angstrom
2012-12-23, 04:10 PM
We will have to be extremely careful not to do anything too treacherous. ... Hal.

Hal's self-preservation instinct will keep him in line. He really doesn't want to go to Hell.

I suppose Buddy's constant detect magic would have picked up the divination as well.

Let's definitely grab Kin that metamagic rod. In the meantime, is there anything people want Hal to craft or would we prefer another round of hell hound summoning?

Maugan Ra
2012-12-25, 08:44 AM
No more hell hound summoning. The book was only going to let you get three, tops, which I deliberately upgraded for this. So... it only works once every nine months or something.

Anyway, I'm re-reading Quint's posts, and I'm not entirely sure what the plan is here exactly. Mind clarifying, just so I don't have something happen differently because of a misunderstanding?

Thattaman
2012-12-25, 09:46 AM
How long do we have until I have to attack the Mitran temple? And Merry Christmas all you evil creatures.

Maugan Ra
2012-12-25, 10:14 AM
Kydrak now has eight days to accomplish the task he negotiated for. I'm assuming most of this discussion is happening the day after the fight with the Inquisitor et all, if only for time saving purposes.

Comissar
2012-12-25, 03:15 PM
Well, I was under the impression that Quint's plan was about to be side lined by Ilvaria, and there was a lack of detail in thread. I intended to expand upon it once I knew if he'd be able to count on Hal's support.

Also, Merry Christmas

Maugan Ra
2012-12-25, 03:20 PM
Merry Christmas indeed. Anyway, Ilvaria's plan is pretty much entirely unconnected to Elise and the Seventh so far, so Quint and Hal can probably work on the conflict with your nominal teammates in the meantime.

Kin is also getting involved in Ilvaria's project, and Kydrak is almost certainly going to be affected one way or the other. So, which set would Victor and Reyna like to get involved with?

Snowfire
2012-12-25, 03:25 PM
Well, I was under the impression that Quint's plan was about to be side lined by Ilvaria, and there was a lack of detail in thread. I intended to expand upon it once I knew if he'd be able to count on Hal's support.

Also, Merry Christmas

Sorry about this, need to get things done re: plotting but that requires that I have the time. And that people respond to me. At present I can't really do much as I don't have the result of the pm-plotting with Kin.

Also, Yuletide. So...yeah. Somewhat busy.

Angstrom
2012-12-25, 06:44 PM
Merry Christmas.

You've got it. Probably would like to know more about what that entails though.

Razorstorm
2012-12-27, 11:08 AM
IC post up.

I want to go with Kydrak (sounds like fun), but Victor won't do it out of the goodness of his heart. I think no matter what, Reyna is probably staying here to guard.

On a related thought, we really to work out how to replenish our stock of minions. We need some meatshields. If Kydrak doesn't want to accept Victor's deal, he'll focus on that.

Maugan Ra
2012-12-27, 11:14 AM
You have minions. Mostly in the form of your organisation, which for various reasons you're apparently reluctant to actually station in the Horn.

Angstrom
2012-12-27, 05:31 PM
I suppose Hal will become less hesitant to bring minions to the Horn once Elise is out of the way. Treachery from her end was one of his primary motivations for keeping the Horn as secret as possible, not that it helped much.

If we take minions to the Horn, Hal may do some soul siphoning to create some beads of force or necklaces of fireballs/frostballs (Frost is best since skeletons are immune to cold. How much extra would the change cost?) for the minions as well as for use in traps. A custom item for Buddy perhaps to let him start spitting frostballs or beads of force in combat. First though, souls...

As for meatshields, once we level Hal can resume creation of undead minions. Buying guard dogs is always an option, especially since they can be turned into undead as necessary.

Maugan: what's the policy on replacement cohorts? Should I start working on one?

Maugan Ra
2012-12-27, 05:37 PM
I have no objection to you altering the energy type of the damage dealt by particular magic items, so a necklace of Frostballs might work out quite well. That said, the same qualifications for making magic items as before hold true, mostly in the form of the Spellcraft DC being modified for not having access to the right spell (if you can cast Frostball or something, via a feat rather than an item, that qualifies you).

New cohorts may be next brought in when you level up. On which note, you will level up once the business with Elise and the relic is sorted, one way or the other.

Thattaman
2012-12-28, 06:23 AM
So will the people going to the Mitran temple be Kydrak, Caldrel, Victor, Ilvaria, Kin and the mercenary? Of course Kydrak will accept Victors offer. Victor's the only one of you Kydrak actually likes. Maybe Ilvaria just because she's a cleric of Asmodeous.

Snowfire
2012-12-28, 07:02 AM
So will the people going to the Mitran temple be Kydrak, Caldrel, Victor, Ilvaria, Kin and the mercenary? Of course Kydrak will accept Victors offer. Victor's the only one of you Kydrak actually likes. Maybe Ilvaria just because she's a cleric of Asmodeous.

Nope.

Ilvaria is not going to the temple. Her mercenary - on his own mind - now that could be a thing :smallamused:

Maugan Ra
2012-12-28, 06:45 PM
Taskar will object somewhat to anyone else coming along on his assigned task. He's been hired to do a stealthy theft from a secure location, which becomes much harder to achieve if he has to also factor a bunch of Wizards into his plans. Of course, he's also fairly sure he probably doesn't have a vast amount of choice in the matter, but still, professional integrity demands he at least protest...

Actually, to the best of my knowledge, Kydrak doesn't yet know that Ilvaria is getting involved. Taskar has his magical support in the way of scrolls now, so he's actually intending to do the job fairly soon. Like, within 24 hours, soon. So, what is Kydrak planning to do right now?

Snowfire
2012-12-28, 07:09 PM
As a point, Ilvaria will cheerfully delay Kydrak for as long as she believes necessary. And no, Kydrak has no clue that Ilvaria has gotten involved in the manner she has - unless someone else has told him. And I suspect Kydrak will want to re-ready his spells and suchlike before going into Farholde.

Ilvaria will ensure that Taskar has whatever rest he needs, and then take him most of the way to Farholde. As Mira will be noticeably keeping him safe whilst he's within the Horn, people are free to suspect whatever they please.

Once the current discussion is dealt with - which my (finally) next post should help do - Ilvaria and Hal can have that discussion that they were going to be having re: our favourite little mercenary sorceress.

Maugan Ra
2012-12-28, 07:20 PM
If that post goes up, then, we can probably move onto the resolution of the relic problem fairly swiftly. It is still, after all, quite late at night, and attempting to make it back to Farholde right now is inadvisable.

The Caer Byr is not a safe place, after all. Especially late at night.

So after the conversation, if we assume most people wait and sleep until morning, then anyone else can set off.

Snowfire
2012-12-28, 07:52 PM
Posted. You forgot about Hal wanting to talk with Ilvaria. We can do it via PM if you want, but I'm cool with doing it on the IC.

Maugan Ra
2012-12-28, 08:04 PM
Handle the conversation via PM, I think, then we can post it in the IC as a flashback or something. Mostly because the other option is that we slow the whole thing down until it's finished, and I want to keep us going at a decent pace.

I'll make an IC post shortly detailing your arrival back in Farholde, and then anyone who has things they want to be doing can make posts regarding what exactly it is they're up to.

Snowfire
2012-12-28, 08:13 PM
Works for me. As a note, Ilvaria will - if at all possible - head in with Taskar well before the others (trancing has some advantages re: timekeeping), and then head straight back to the Horn for a proper rest. Read; riding to the edge of the Caer Byr just before dawn on her Nightmare with Taskar and dropping him off - giving him a drop off point outside of the city for later in the day where the exchange of glaive (chain if possible too) and gp (and possibly some scrolls) can take place. If Angstrom wants, we can have the discussion between Hal and Ilvaria after she's rested properly and before she has to meet Taskar for the pickup.

If that's all right with you at least.

Maugan Ra
2012-12-30, 10:49 AM
I will note that from the backstory that I read, Kydrak basically just has an inferiority complex of truly massive scope. He discovered that he was a half-elf, and his elven father would not speak of his mother, so he brutally tortured and murdered the old man before fleeing the country, and extending this to a rampant hatred of all elves everywhere.

He also took to Transmutation and, indeed, Infernal worship because he felt they would make him stronger and allow him to escape his tainted birth. And in Talingarde, he attempted to murder the King, because then he could become King and re-instate the worship of Asmodeus in Talingarde, a plan which has a great many holes in it.

It should be noted that Dessiter is aware of your history, here (he'd hardly approach the group without doing his research first). So do be careful in what you say where he can hear... which since you signed a contract, basically means generally be careful what you say.

Thattaman
2012-12-30, 10:54 AM
Heh, it's so fun playing Kydrak. I hope he doesn't die soon because the RP potential is amazing and I'm truly loving this game. Kydrak will probably attack the Mitran temple after a day or two. He will ask the other PCs to accompany him but he hasn't got anyone but Victor with him yet.

Thattaman
2012-12-30, 11:00 AM
He took to infernal worship before he killed his father. I think Asmodeus probably did tempt him to kill his father. Kydrak could have become king of Kyonin if he'd waited and never revealed his true parents. What he said is kind of true. None of us seem to know each other that well yet which is a bit different to most games.

Maugan Ra
2012-12-30, 11:11 AM
Heh, it's so fun playing Kydrak. I hope he doesn't die soon because the RP potential is amazing and I'm truly loving this game. Kydrak will probably attack the Mitran temple after a day or two. He will ask the other PCs to accompany him but he hasn't got anyone but Victor with him yet.

So, you're not attacking immediately, huh? If only because you're laying plans and aiming to convince some of the others to assist you. Well, that's good to know, though as far as I can tell no one else as yet seems inclined to help out.

I will note that outright attacking the Abbey is possibly somewhat unwise, what with it being in the middle of the town and staffed by a considerable number of fanatical Mitrans.

Anyway, does anyone else have anything they particularly want to get done on this day in Farholde? Otherwise I can move on with a certain impending event.

*cackles in true villainous fashion*

Snowfire
2012-12-30, 07:08 PM
Angstrom, you're up. :smallwink:

Thattaman
2012-12-31, 04:09 AM
I wonder out of all of us, who will be the first to die. Kydrak is probably the top suspect seen as he quite often gets himself in those situations. But he's managed to stay alive so far. What would happen if Ilvaris took the relic and then I went into the temple and couldn't find it. Because I said 'I will go into the temple and get that relic' so I just need to go into the temple and then have the relic afterwards.

Maugan Ra
2012-12-31, 04:13 AM
Oh, don't worry. I have plans for that situation. :smallamused:

Thattaman
2012-12-31, 04:19 AM
I said I have to take back the relic. It didn't specify off whom. I can take it from Ilvaria just as well as I could take it from the Mitrans.

Snowfire
2012-12-31, 06:48 AM
I said I have to take back the relic. It didn't specify off whom. I can take it from Ilvaria just as well as I could take it from the Mitrans.

Well yes, I guess you could. If she was inclined to give it to you. If not...well. You did read the contract you signed, right? I mean the main one, not the side one to bring your brother back :smalltongue: