PDA

View Full Version : WotW: Call forth Darkness OOC

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6]

Thattaman
2012-12-31, 07:08 AM
Kydrak memorised it and wrote it down in his spellbook but what exactly counts as working towards the goal. If I go down there and try to take it but it's already gone, would I still have rights to have it?

Maugan Ra
2012-12-31, 07:24 AM
You'd have to ask Dessiter about that one.

Anyway, I'm mostly holding off until I see the result of the conversation between Hal and Ilvaria, and to hear if anyone else wants to get things done in Farholde. Then I can move on.

Razorstorm
2013-01-01, 03:03 PM
What shape is the golem in after the fight? How can I fix him up? Craft Alchemy? Engineering?

Also, I'm going to assume we have a few "civilian" type retainers around the horn, who do menial type of work, cook, clean, that sort of thing. If I'm wrong, let me know.

Maugan Ra
2013-01-01, 03:05 PM
Artephius is in decent shape. A few dents and scrapes, but nothing crippling. If anyone with knowledge (Alchemy or Engineering) spends a few hours working on him, he'll be restored to peak condition.

And if you want menial servants around, by all means.

Razorstorm
2013-01-01, 03:34 PM
Yep. Assumption made and acted on. I needed a prop to explore Victor's slightly different brand of villainy.

Snowfire
2013-01-01, 05:13 PM
Oh my. Well, this promises to be rather interesting when Ilvaria eventually notices this. Maugan knows the reasons why - or should. Something to do with bullies who use power, position and 'you're one of us' to heap unwarranted abuse on those around them.

And yes, that just posted classifies.

Maugan Ra
2013-01-01, 05:18 PM
Indeed. Given Ilvaria's background, that was an... unusually convenient way to express villainy. Oh yes.

*steeples fingers*

Anyway. Otherwise still just waiting for the conversation between Ilvaria and Hal, and then I can move onto resolving a certain other subplot.

Razorstorm
2013-01-01, 05:29 PM
Interesting.... (raises eyebrows) (On an amusing side note - when I first wrote this I used "c-o-c-k-s eyebrows", which apparently the forum rules found offensive!)

I've been feeling like Victor was a little too "nice guy" lately, and felt like I needed to better define what sort of bad guy he is, and why he's an Asmodean. I like the idea of him being very into collecting debts, manipulating people so that they "owe" him, exploiting their insecurities and fears, and get them feeling obligated to do what he tells them. The power of deals and contracts was what drew him to Asmodeus.

I just was having a hard time nailing down what he was doing with this group, and I think I figured it out. He definitely is a jerk, but in an insidiously "nice guy" kinda way.

If that ruffles Ilvaria, well then, we'll have some fun won't we? Unfortunately I can see that you're a MUCH better schemer than me, so if you start plotting my demise, I'll probably walk right into face first!

Also, I'm very curious about the referenced backstory!

Snowfire
2013-01-01, 05:45 PM
Oh, the particular type of nasty Victor is is mostly fine. It's just, quite specifically, the "you're part of our family now" bit. A look into Ilvaria's past life that should explain her aversion to that phrase is in the backstory on her sheet.

As to scheming...it's more the fact that I'm somewhat inordinately lucky and have rather a lot of experience in failing at scheming. So I have a reasonable level of understanding regarding what does and doesn't work.

And kill you? Puh-lease! That takes away all the fun :smallamused:

Angstrom
2013-01-01, 08:28 PM
Right, so the offer of teamwork is there. Since Ilvaria was there for the boon Hal is expecting her to suspect he has a lot of schemes against the Asmodeans afoot. While that may not be true, the threat of Hal trying to eliminate the group and pursue the ritual without the taint of Hell could factor into her seeking to form a working relationship.

I think in terms of what kind of bad guy Halifax is, he's the kind that doesn't care about getting dirty to accomplish his goals. Had his sister not taught him about daemons when they were young, he may have ended up working within the establishment in Talingarde instead of working to destroy it. That's probably why he's able to work with Asmodeans, he's able to play within a system to serve his own aims. I've tried to play him as such, which is part of why I assumed there weren't any servants in the Horn.

Having servants allows spies to infiltrate that much more easily. Using primarily undead is more Hal's thing. If we do have servants though, especially young ones, then I'll be PMing Maugan about certain structure things.

Snowfire
2013-01-01, 09:02 PM
*reads Angstrom's IC post*

*reads Angstrom's OoC post*

*collapses laughing*

Oh, don't mind me :smallbiggrin:

Thattaman
2013-01-02, 05:19 AM
Ooh, Victor. That's just mean! It's one thing to enjoy torturing your father to death but it's another to be cruel to those working for us. When Snowfire said it's more fun to keep you alive, I figured out why Kydrak can still breathe. If Ilvaria didn't enjoy making bad stuff happen to him then I'd be outta this game.

Comissar
2013-01-02, 08:30 AM
A question about the contracts, is the scrying clause removed upon completion?

Maugan Ra
2013-01-02, 08:43 AM
A question about the contracts, is the scrying clause removed upon completion?

It's not a clause of the contract so much as one of the Devil's own abilities.

Still, the rules don't say as much one way or the other, so I'd assume the interpretation that most favours the forces of Hell is probably correct. In which case, until the contract is destroyed or Quint dies (since signing such a contract establishes a claim on his soul), Dessiter has free scrying access to Quint.

Slaying Dessiter on his home plane, and thus removing him entirely, would also do the trick.

Snowfire
2013-01-02, 08:44 AM
It's not clarified. So...probably not.

Comissar
2013-01-02, 08:47 AM
It's not a clause of the contract so much as one of the Devil's own abilities.

Still, the rules don't say as much one way or the other, so I'd assume the interpretation that most favours the forces of Hell is probably correct. In which case, until the contract is destroyed or Quint dies (since signing such a contract establishes a claim on his soul), Dessiter has free scrying access to Quint.

Slaying Dessiter on his home plane, and thus removing him entirely, would also do the trick.

Ah, by my reading I was seeing it as part of the contract, and thus ended once the contract was fulfilled. Not overly concerned at this point though.

Razorstorm
2013-01-02, 12:38 PM
Well well, this is getting interesting!

Snowfire
2013-01-02, 12:45 PM
Well well, this is getting interesting!

What? The unmarked journal that has something in it that can make Tiadora not-quite-flinch? Why yes, yes it is :smallbiggrin:

Razorstorm
2013-01-02, 01:02 PM
What? The unmarked journal that has something in it that can make Tiadora not-quite-flinch? Why yes, yes it is :smallbiggrin:

Yep. That thingie.

Snowfire
2013-01-02, 01:04 PM
Yep. That thingie.

:smallamused:

Maugan Ra
2013-01-02, 02:56 PM
I'll admit, that's a blatant attempt to allow other members of the group to visit the Infernal Court of Duke Naberus. I'm changing the flow of the adventure path somewhat, I admit - Dessiter isn't supposed to be introduced until Book 3, and you don't meet Naberus until Book 5, but adaptability is the key in a lot of these things.

Plus, negotiating for Infernal support is always fun from a roleplay perspective. Money, troops, arcane tomes, escoteric supplies... Hell can offer it all, for a price.

Thattaman
2013-01-02, 06:15 PM
Oooh, pick me! Pick me! No, seriously Kydrak should be picked. He would behave himself and as a follower of devils he would never forgive Ilvaria for disallowing him to go. His whole life builds up to going to Hell and if he wasn't allowed then it would drive him totally insane.

Angstrom
2013-01-03, 03:13 AM
Woah, how did we get here?

I missed a lot, so I'll just assume that Hal spent the rest of the time since meeting with Tiadora in the outpost like he planned. I suppose PM me if he finds anything interesting while over there with his skeletons and Moon.

Would it be too much to leave him a way of reaching you while you're in Hell? An amulet perhaps?

Maugan Ra
2013-01-03, 04:02 AM
Yup, I figured Hal would have his reasons not to go. Don't worry, I have potential events in mind to keep him involved in some way despite not being there with the others...

Mostly because the Horn is big and glowing green, and that attracts attention. And not just from humanoids...

Thattaman
2013-01-03, 04:45 AM
My plan would work, wouldn't it? Giving the relic back then taking it again would set me free.

Thattaman
2013-01-03, 04:55 AM
What would happen if I didn't fulfill the contract? Would I have to leave the game or just have a severe impediment? I'm actually kind of worried now. I didn't think I'd actually have this happen to me. The task seemed a lot easier before a drow got involved.

Maugan Ra
2013-01-03, 04:58 AM
Nah, no leaving the game. I'm not about to do that. And there are ways around this being quite so, hmm, unfortunate...

Maugan Ra
2013-01-03, 04:01 PM
That said, as demonstrated, Dessiter is still a Devil. Hence mercilessly exploiting the fact that he had Kydrak over a barrel there, so that the Wizard and the Antipaladin now both owe him two unspecified services each.

Doing the same to NPCs is every bit as encouraged :smallamused:

Comissar
2013-01-03, 04:31 PM
"Everything is legally binding in the court"

*Eagerly watches for foot in mouth syndrome*

Thattaman
2013-01-03, 05:30 PM
I was picturing a scenario in which he orders both Kydrak and Caldrel to kill each other and I wanted to avoid that. This scene with a devil should be fun.

Angstrom
2013-01-03, 06:00 PM
As she begins to make for the nearby edge of the jungle, something causes the Ifriti to look up - an odd sort of tingling at the back of her neck that tells her she's being watched. It does not take long to discern the one responsible.

There is something circling the Horn. It is flying at a considerable distance, out of range of any spells that might be easily cast from the slopes of the unholy mountain, but there is no mistaking the slow, looping orbit that it is taking. Silhouetted against the evening sky, the creature's long neck and tail are clearly visible, as are the powerful wings that keep it aloft. In the dying light, it's scaly form glints silver.

I take it the skeletons haven't noticed and raised an alarm then? This will fun. I've always wanted to kill a metallic dragon.

Maugan Ra
2013-01-03, 06:09 PM
The Skeletons haven't raised the alarm because the Dragon is well out of range. It is also not making any hostile moves as yet.

And what a coincidence: Argossian has always wanted to kill evil-doers. He's quite accomplished at it, really...

Thattaman
2013-01-04, 03:01 AM
Hopefully it will happen when we're on holiday. See you in Hell. :smallsmile:

Snowfire
2013-01-04, 08:07 PM
Honestly kinda unsure how much I'm meant to speak here. I'm going off of the traditional:

This is what I ask.
What have you done to deserve it?
Response.
Further questioning.
Responses.
Decision - or statement that such a thing will occur later.

If I've gotten that wrong - and it stands to reason that Ilvaria would know the correct protocol considering both what she is and Tiadora's aid - let me know and I'll change things.

Maugan Ra
2013-01-04, 08:10 PM
Nope, that's about right. No massive social blunders so far...

Thattaman
2013-01-05, 03:46 AM
I was almost shaking whilst typing that. I hope I've said the right thing. That isn't a social blunder is it?

Thattaman
2013-01-05, 07:13 AM
Can anyone give me any advice as to what would be a good thing to say? I'm kind of in need of it right now.

Maugan Ra
2013-01-05, 07:16 AM
Role play your character, really. That's all. Duke Naberus wants to know why he should expend effort helping you. So why does Kydrak think himself important enough to warrant the help?

It is at least in part a test. He wants to see how you handle yourself here.

Snowfire
2013-01-05, 07:19 AM
What makes Kydrak worthy of aid? What has he done to rightfully request such a thing from the Court?

You can point a few things I think - although I would ask Maugan to back me up here. You helped bring down the defences of Talingarde against the Bugbear horde, you brought low an Inquisitor of Mitra, that sort of thing.

Things you have done, that don't involve YOU sacrificing something. Look through Kydrak's past, and try to find particularly badass things he managed to do basically. And then present them in supplication.

That might work :smallwink:

Thattaman
2013-01-05, 07:21 AM
He was the person who killed Harkon even if he probably shouldn't have done.

Edit: Would Ilvaria help him out? He's asking for help for the whole team.

Maugan Ra
2013-01-05, 07:56 AM
So, there's Ilvaria's quest. She just has to go into the Vale of Valtaerna, the most sacred place in the lore of the Mitran Faith, and somehow break into a sealed vault in the very depths of their holiest cathedral. Once there, she needs to find some way of freeing a pair of devils presently bound to a rather potent magical artifact, and get them to report back to Naberus.

Piece of cake, yes? :smallwink:

Snowfire
2013-01-05, 08:19 AM
Vale of Valtaerna...hmmm.

This wouldn't happen to be the place that we're going to burn down in the next part of this adventure path, would it? Because that would be...suspiciously convenient...

Thattaman
2013-01-05, 08:47 AM
I think that may be out next quest. That is quite strange. I've got a list of accomplishments:

Broke out of the hardest prison in Talingarde just so that he can further the worship of Asmodeus, killed the commander of the balentine (or whatever it was called) so that the bigbears could attack Talinagarde, killed an inquisitor of Mitra and defended the horn of Abbadon from the Mitran attackers.

Maugan Ra
2013-01-05, 09:49 AM
Vale of Valtaerna...hmmm.

This wouldn't happen to be the place that we're going to burn down in the next part of this adventure path, would it? Because that would be...suspiciously convenient...

Firstly - Oi, meta gaming :smallwink:

But yes, it is. I have a choice of either making use of an upcoming conflict that I am aware is going to be quite dangerous enough, or I can set up an entirely newly highly dangerous side quest for Ilvaria alone to attempt. The adventure already has ways to upgrade oneself in a similar fashion sprinkled throughout - Vampirism and Lichdom are both available later, for example - so this didn't strike me as being all that unreasonable.

Snowfire
2013-01-05, 10:20 AM
Firstly - Oi, meta gaming :smallwink:

But yes, it is. I have a choice of either making use of an upcoming conflict that I am aware is going to be quite dangerous enough, or I can set up an entirely newly highly dangerous side quest for Ilvaria alone to attempt. The adventure already has ways to upgrade oneself in a similar fashion sprinkled throughout - Vampirism and Lichdom are both available later, for example - so this didn't strike me as being all that unreasonable.

Firstly - It was a guess, and this is the OoC thread. Won't factor into Ilvaria's thinking :smallwink:

And well, that should make it all the more fun then. Considering I have a rather hefty suspicion that one of Ilvaria's primary hate-triggers is going to be involved in the defence of that place. Should be fun :smallbiggrin:

Thattaman
2013-01-05, 01:00 PM
Oooh, Lichdom. That should be fun! Also, on meta-gaming, I already know a certain degree of the plot but no details so I can't prepare for encounters (I have the first book and have read the bit at the end which tells you the overall plotline.) So I already knew about the scrying and Elise's bad behaviour.

Snowfire
2013-01-05, 01:19 PM
Well, I can't really help but know certain pieces of the plot due to knowing our illustrious GM IRL and him having talked about this on...more than one occasion before I joined the game. So that's been fun to compartmentalise.

Comissar
2013-01-05, 01:38 PM
I... have no idea what's going to happen next :smallbiggrin:

That said, I'd try not to let it impact my IC behaviour even if I did.

Maugan Ra
2013-01-05, 01:42 PM
I... have no idea what's going to happen next :smallbiggrin:

That said, I'd try not to let it impact my IC behaviour even if I did.

Of course you do. Kydrak is going to say something foolish, and narrowly get out of it by setting up worse trouble for himself down the line. Ilvaria is going to scheme and plot. Hal is just going to keep suffering, because the universe seems to hate him....

:smalltongue:

Thattaman
2013-01-05, 01:58 PM
When has Kydrak ever done something foolish?

Maugan Ra
2013-01-05, 01:59 PM
When has Kydrak ever done something foolish?

*blinks*

I'm... going to assume that's a joke. Because otherwise, well...

Thattaman
2013-01-05, 03:58 PM
It was a joke, otherwise I'd be posting from a mental hospital.

Comissar
2013-01-06, 06:29 AM
* Popcorn *

Snowfire
2013-01-06, 06:34 AM
*Uses Mage Hand to steal some*

What? Seats at the very front are expensive! :smalltongue:

Comissar
2013-01-06, 06:37 AM
*Pulls a face at Ilvaria*

Just use illusions, they'll think you work here and let you have it for free :smalltongue:

Thattaman
2013-01-06, 06:40 AM
Kydrak was the one who killed Harkon. Then Hal brought him back to life, then Caldrel killed him.

Snowfire
2013-01-06, 06:42 AM
*raises eyebrow at Quint*

Seriously? Illusions. On Devils. Most of whom get True Seeing as a permanent ability. No thanks, I like living.

*steals more popcorn*

Comissar
2013-01-06, 06:50 AM
Ah... I *knew* there was a reason why popcorn was so expensive at the cinema. Can't say I would've guessed that the vendors were agents of hell itself, there's an eye opener.

Maugan Ra
2013-01-06, 07:09 AM
Kydrak was the one who killed Harkon. Then Hal brought him back to life, then Caldrel killed him.

Kydrak knocked Harkon into negative hit points, perhaps. That's not the same as killing him.

And the rest of the Duke's reasoning stands anyway. Of course, he might still be trying to see how you do under pressure... figurative and literal, for bonus points.

Snowfire
2013-01-06, 10:42 AM
And, there we go. Needed to check a few things for exact wording and suchlike, but there're a few cards of Ilvaria's play. This should be fun.

Thattaman
2013-01-06, 01:47 PM
I thought Ilvaria would enjoy watching Kydrak suffer, but maybe she has other uses for him.

Snowfire
2013-01-06, 02:11 PM
Oh, there are better ways to make Kydrak suffer. Physical suffering, whilst amusing, is nothing compared to the pleasure that comes from tormenting another's psyche :smallamused:

Thattaman
2013-01-07, 10:34 AM
I don't quite understand what Kydrak has to do. He has to take Ilvaria's place is she dies? That doesn't sound too bad.

Maugan Ra
2013-01-07, 10:35 AM
Closer to 'If Ilvaria would die, Kydrak dies in her place and she stays alive'.

Thattaman
2013-01-07, 10:40 AM
Oh. Well that is very different. I'll have to act as a bodyguard to Ilvaria. Would that count events such as last time Ilvaria died but it wasn't permanent? Because then he'd die and Ilvaria would never have been in any danger.

Snowfire
2013-01-07, 10:45 AM
And the web grows. Excellent.

*steeples fingers*

Thattaman
2013-01-07, 10:48 AM
For some reason I thing I may later regret this, but Kydrak had to accept, if he'd refused it would go against everything his character stands for.

Snowfire
2013-01-07, 10:52 AM
For some reason I thing I may later regret this, but Kydrak had to accept, if he'd refused it would go against everything his character stands for.

Well yes, I can sort of see why you might at some point regret giving another character a literal kill switch for yours...

But hey, that's part of the fun :smallbiggrin:

Maugan Ra
2013-01-07, 11:04 AM
And... Everyone should now rise to Level 8. Congratulations.

Snowfire
2013-01-07, 11:07 AM
Third level spells! YAY!!!! :smallbiggrin:

Thattaman
2013-01-07, 11:14 AM
Health roll [roll0]

Snowfire
2013-01-07, 11:16 AM
So the above answers my question on health. I'm going to assume that we get cohort level up as well - if our characters have the leadership scores to attain it.

Would that be correct?

Maugan Ra
2013-01-07, 11:24 AM
Yes, if you have cohorts, they should now be level 6. Don't forget that 8th level brings a stat increase with it.

Also, those of you who took leadership, you get another point to assign to your evil organisation, so please declare where you're placing that as well.

Snowfire
2013-01-07, 11:40 AM
Ilvaria's point will go into Secrecy I think. And would it be possible to get a list of possible action for our organisation on the first post?

Also rolls: [roll0], [roll1]

Well, looks like the whole 'not cut out to be a melee combatant' thing is sticking. Nuts.

Also, do our cohorts 'magically' gain the standard gp for their level as is generally assumed?

Comissar
2013-01-07, 04:00 PM
I've had a lot of bad luck with health rolls recently, here's hoping it changes! (Probably not)

[roll0]
[roll1]

Quint's new standard prepared spells are as follows:

Level 0 - Dancing Lights, Ray of Frost, Ghost Sound, Flare
Level 1 - Mage Armour x1, Windy Escape x2, Shield x1, Vanish x2, Burning Hands x1
Level 2 - Protection from Arrows x1, Mirror Image x1, Blur x1, Acid Arrow x2, Hypnotic Pattern x1
Level 3 - Fly x1, Displacement x1, Lightning Bolt x2, Windcloak x1
Level 4 - Phantasmal Killer x1, Lesser Globe of Invulnerability x1, Shadow Conjuration x2

Snowfire
2013-01-07, 09:20 PM
As a note, I have most of a post written, but I need to acquire sleep before I look it over and post. So if we could hold off on leaving the Court for now. Ilvaria would like to say one or two things first.

Thattaman
2013-01-08, 02:41 PM
Oh, and Caldrel's Hp [roll0]

Angstrom
2013-01-09, 06:31 PM
Not nearly finished building a new cohort yet, but I'll roll hp for a druid.
[roll0], [roll1] (I'll add bonus hp when I do the point buy)

Hal will add enervation and animate dead to his spellbook, anyone who wants to copy them can. Forgot Souldrinker spell progression doesn't grant new spells on a level up. His organization point is going to espionage.

Maugan Ra
2013-01-09, 06:44 PM
Well, aside from waiting for Ilvaria's closing words, the only pressing thing to deal with right now is anything resembling an attack on Elise and the Seventh.

Razorstorm
2013-01-09, 08:34 PM
Victor's HP roll
[roll0]

New level 4 spells - Dragon's Breath, Dimension Door (anyone is welcome to copy)

Snowfire
2013-01-09, 09:31 PM
On the note of spells, I almost forgot. Ilvaria was going to drain a pint of Harkon's blood and drink it later on that day to steal Burst Bonds from his spell list through the use of Blood Transcription.

Is that reasonable?

Also, post made. Lost the old one due to computer crash, but this covers the salient points.

Thattaman
2013-01-11, 06:35 PM
New Spells: Black Tentacles and Stone Shape. Willing to share with anyone.

Are we waiting for something IC, Kydrak's got some planning to do.

Maugan Ra
2013-01-12, 05:08 AM
Internet is being a pain, my apologies.

(By 'pain' I mean 'WiFi is not working, forcing me to use my phone and the occassional library computer')

Razorstorm
2013-01-14, 12:26 AM
My organization point will go to Secrecy.

Razorstorm
2013-01-14, 12:41 AM
Reyna's starting into the Swordlord PrC, so now she's Fighter 5/ Swordlord 1.
Yay, her skills don't totally suck now that they're all finally class skills!
HP roll [roll0]

Maugan Ra
2013-01-14, 10:07 AM
*pokes*

Come on. IC posts, folks. Schemes, villainous plots, elaborate revenge fantasies. That sort of thing.

Snowfire
2013-01-14, 10:12 AM
I was waiting for a reaction post in all honesty from people. However, as that doesn't seem forthcoming, I'll see about doing something about it. Hmm...revenge...let's see what we can work out.

Who's up for turning that pub the Seventh Knot is operating out of into a bloodbath? Not as the main revenge, as a statement.

Maugan Ra
2013-01-14, 10:21 AM
It already has been turned into a bloodbath. You missed it a bit, because way fewer people went into Farholde than I was expecting, but the inn that the Seventh were operating out of was opened in the morning to discover half a dozen skinned corpses hanging from the ceiling and messages written on the walls in blood.

And no, none of them were the Seventh.

Snowfire
2013-01-14, 10:23 AM
Oh yeah, I forgot that bit. You did mention it actually.

Hmmmm. I think we need to pay the Baron a visit...:smallamused:

Thattaman
2013-01-14, 12:06 PM
I was waiting for their reaction too. I thought they'd be a bit surprised by two devils in the room and Ilvaria's staff. The explanation is pretty obvious for Kydrak: he said something stupid and got really beaten up by a pit fiend.

Angstrom
2013-01-14, 09:44 PM
I forgot about that. This was a long day, and Buddy would probably have returned with news of the skinned folk by now. Beyond Buddy and Ilvaria, does anyone else know yet?

Comissar
2013-01-15, 03:17 AM
I don't think Quint knows, also, forgot about the IC posting, my bad.

Angstrom
2013-01-16, 02:39 PM
Question about potential minion actions. Can they be used to add spells to our spellbooks? Until Hal takes a level of wizard he'll be wasting his 4th level school slot on a 3rd level necromancy spell since none of the wizards picked a necromancy spell for their level up.

Maugan Ra
2013-01-16, 11:29 PM
How exactly would your minions help you add to your spell books?

Angstrom
2013-01-17, 01:06 AM
Go into bigger towns and buy us scrolls with the spells on them.

Maugan Ra
2013-01-17, 01:39 AM
Not really an option. Farholde is right on the edge of Talingarde, a true frontier town. The nearest major city would probably be Ghastenhall, which would require a river journey of some 350 miles. It's not a quick shopping trip.

Snowfire
2013-01-17, 06:29 AM
Not really an option. Farholde is right on the edge of Talingarde, a true frontier town. The nearest major city would probably be Ghastenhall, which would require a river journey of some 350 miles. It's not a quick shopping trip.

Maybe not a quite shopping trip, but one that could be done, could it not? Say uses two or three consecutive Minion actions or somesuch? Most of a week there, shopping, most of a week back.

Thattaman
2013-01-17, 04:38 PM
That would be a pretty good thing to do, acquire some more spells.

Maugan Ra
2013-01-17, 05:07 PM
Three consecutive minion actions would allow it then, yes. Of course you'll have to stump up for the scroll costs yourselves.

Snowfire
2013-01-17, 05:18 PM
Oh, I have some ideas for that. Regardless. We have two Erinyes, our own resources, and some traitors to catch. Any ideas, folks?

Angstrom
2013-01-17, 07:26 PM
Three minion actions eh? It may be faster to send a cohort on a nightmare and use those minion actions getting cash to pay for the spells.

As for revenge plot, getting Ilvaria a meeting with their cleric should become a priority. Possibly played off as looking for an explanation about the bodies in the tavern.

I'll post an IC tomorrow with Buddy returning from Farholde with news. Maugan, is there anything else Buddy would have discovered while trailing Taskar and then investigating Farholde?

Snowfire
2013-01-18, 08:03 PM
Also, a quick Rumour-check and sightseeing confirms that the Vandermir orphanage recently burned down, killing dozens of children. And that a prominent Devil-affiliated weapon went missing from the Abbey recently.

:smallamused:

*whistles innocently*

Maugan Ra
2013-01-18, 08:09 PM
So yes, a combination of events now means that there is essentially a giant sign hanging over the Horn saying 'Asmodeans are here'. This may not end well for you.

In related news, how exactly are you intending to set up a meeting with the Seventh? They could be anywhere in Farholde, and they could look like pretty much anyone. The Baron is also unlikely to help you willingly, seeing as you, you know, burned down his orphanage.

Snowfire
2013-01-18, 08:16 PM
I'd ask how he knew we were responsible for burning the place down. But nyeh.

As to locating them...well. Give each of the Erinyes an Iron Circlet and have them walk around with us after we've described the Seventh Knot to them. Erinyes have permanent True Seeing. If they're out and about, they'll see them.

And...well. We do have our own intelligence gathering network.

Maugan Ra
2013-01-18, 08:26 PM
Yes, but the Baron, by and large, does not actually like you very much. He abandoned the Asmodean faith once for his own advantage, his orphanage (where he recruited a lot of his own muscle and espionage ring, as well as generally where he invested a lot of money) has been burnt down, he's been spending the last couple of months with Elise as his primary contact, and he knows that you are conducting some hideous evil ritual out there and may have killed an Inquisitor.

Tell me, what do you imagine the pragmatic and likely response for him would be right now?

Snowfire
2013-01-18, 08:32 PM
Yes, but the Baron, by and large, does not actually like you very much. He abandoned the Asmodean faith once for his own advantage, his orphanage (where he recruited a lot of his own muscle and espionage ring, as well as generally where he invested a lot of money) has been burnt down, he's been spending the last couple of months with Elise as his primary contact, and he knows that you are conducting some hideous evil ritual out there and may have killed an Inquisitor.

Tell me, what do you imagine the pragmatic and likely response for him would be right now?

Being pragmatic? Run. Run as fast as you can and don't even try to look back.

But hey. Him being around gives us some more options. I say we kidnap him.

Maugan Ra
2013-01-18, 08:40 PM
He's a nobleman. And Farholde and the surrounding regions are where he's invested a lot of his own time and money. And perhaps more importantly than anything else, nothing you've done has as-yet convinced him that he couldn't actually win if he took you on.

Alternately, I might be deliberately misleading the lot of you. I guess this will depend on how things work out at the end of this little plan of yours.

*steeples fingers, observes carefully*

Snowfire
2013-01-18, 08:50 PM
Well, with you I always triple think everything you say twice. Just to be sure.

However, I notice you say nothing regarding the plan with the Erinyes. Interesting...

Maugan Ra
2013-01-18, 08:55 PM
Oh, the plan with the Erinyes is viable. Not immensely efficient, mind, since True Seeing doesn't work against mundane stealth and disguises (though to be fair, the Seventh will probably only resort to such things if they have reason to believe their Circlets are not a viable option. Like, say, they've discovered that Thorn can easily scry them.)

And, of course, you'd be searching a sprawling river town of some nine and a half thousand inhabitants for four specific individuals, on foot, with two scouts.

Angstrom
2013-01-18, 09:04 PM
I agree with the plan on using the Erinyes to locate the 7th knot, specifically their cleric. A cleric should probably be able to see that their Knot's actions are directly interfering with the spread of Asmodean worship. It may take a while, but outsiders don't rest and Buddy can work on narrowing Elise's location via Commune.

The Baron can be monitored via cacodaemon. I'd assume he's still meeting with the 7th, but that Elise fears direct conflict with us, else why go to the trouble of framing us. If we learn where they're meeting we can prepare their demise accordingly.

If we're throwing around ideas:
The Baron must go into town fairly frequently, we have Ilvaria's new friends invite him to a meeting 1500m above Farholde. Tell him its Elise's request if he'll buy that (Buddy can find out via Commune whether they have a secret handshake or whatnot). Talk him down once we've convinced him 6 wizards are more than capable of counterspelling every attempt to flee he can come up with. Ensure his cooperation, or just capture him as a blasphemer to give to Tiadora to thank her for the Erinyes.

Use the circlets to disguise as the 7th Knot, should violence ensue and once we've killed the 7th, we can use our cohorts as stand ins for the group of heroes that laid low the menace to Farholde once and for all; letting them use the actual bodies as proof of their heroic efforts.

Snowfire
2013-01-18, 09:11 PM
I agree with the plan on using the Erinyes to locate the 7th knot, specifically their cleric. A cleric should probably be able to see that their Knot's actions are directly interfering with the spread of Asmodean worship.
The Baron can be monitored via cacodaemon. I'd assume he's still meeting with the 7th, but that Elise fears direct conflict with us, else why go to the trouble of framing us. If we learn where they're meeting we can prepare their demise accordingly.

The Baron must go into town fairly frequently, we have Ilvaria's new friends invite him to a meeting 1500m above Farholde. Tell him its Elise's request if he'll buy that (Buddy can find out via Commune whether they have a secret handshake or whatnot). Talk him down once we've convinced him 6 wizards are more than capable of counterspelling every attempt to flee he can come up with. Ensure his cooperation, or just capture him as a blasphemer to give to Tiadora to thank her for the Erinyes.

Use the circlets to disguise as the 7th Knot, should violence ensue and once we've killed the 7th, we can use our cohorts as stand ins for the group of heroes that laid low the menace to Farholde once and for all; letting them use the actual bodies as proof of their heroic efforts.

Now, see? This plan? I like this plan.

Although I would prefer to deliver some of the 7th Knot - specifically Elise - to the Cardinal. The rest? They can burn. One horribly burnt corpse looks just like any other. And I just so happen to have access to a young woman who I am quite sure is a Fire Elemental Bloodline Sorcerer. Hmmmmm :smallamused:

Maugan Ra
2013-01-18, 09:19 PM
Not shooting ideas down deliberately here, merely providing feedback to make sure you've covered the bases.

1) Nothing that you lot are doing in the Horn is furthering the spread of Asmodean worship. Actually, since you're summoning a daemon prince, it could be argued that you are working against that spread.

2) Narrowing their location, or indeed searching in general... why would the Seventh, if they're trying to avoid you, stay in one place?

3) Pitting two of your enemies against one another with a bit of misdirection is a time-honoured tactic. Nothing there says Elise fears a direct confrontation with your group. She just prefers using pawns.

4) Why would the Baron keep meeting personally with the Seventh? If communication is necessary, having minions deliver coded messages to dead-drops works just as well. By extension, why would he need to travel into town on a regular basis?

5) What possible reason could he have for agreeing to a meeting in such a vulnerable location where none of his guards can reach?

6) Oh, violence is going to ensue regardless of whether you manage to find and kill the Seventh here. Their actions, and your own, have seen to that. And you have something of a weak point - the ritual for summoning the daemon prince must be done three times a day in a very precise location. If even one is missed, the whole thing fails.

This is very interesting, though. Remember, always double-check your plans for possibly unfounded assumptions. I love it when players can legitimately outsmart my NPCs.

Thattaman
2013-01-19, 09:49 AM
I agree with the plan on using the Erinyes to locate the 7th knot, specifically their cleric. A cleric should probably be able to see that their Knot's actions are directly interfering with the spread of Asmodean worship. It may take a while, but outsiders don't rest and Buddy can work on narrowing Elise's location via Commune.

Now, see? This plan? I like this plan.

Although I would prefer to deliver some of the 7th Knot - specifically Elise - to the Cardinal. The rest? They can burn. One horribly burnt corpse looks just like any other. And I just so happen to have access to a young woman who I am quite sure is a Fire Elemental Bloodline Sorcerer. Hmmmmm :smallamused:

We could do these plans, Kydrak would very much like to speak with their cleric and teach him what Asmodeus does to traitors.

Snowfire
2013-01-19, 09:57 AM
We could do these plans, Kydrak would very much like to speak with their cleric and teach him what Asmodeus does to traitors.

Psst. Kydrak should leave that bit to someone who knows. Oh, and who also has skill ranks in torture :smallamused:

Thattaman
2013-01-19, 10:35 AM
Psst. Kydrak should leave that bit to someone who knows. Oh, and who also has skill ranks in torture :smallamused:

If Kydrak has one talent, it's torture, he's been practicing on his family as a child. Well, child for an elf.

Maugan Ra
2013-01-19, 11:10 AM
Yes, he murdered his father in that fashion, didn't he? And he hasn't been shy about admitting it either, or disguising what his name is. Now what are the odds that an elven hunting party might be looking for him...

Thattaman
2013-01-19, 02:08 PM
If that happens Kydrak would be delighted to kill them all, slowly and painfully.

Angstrom
2013-01-20, 11:42 PM
Not shooting ideas down deliberately here, merely providing feedback to make sure you've covered the bases.

1) Nothing that you lot are doing in the Horn is furthering the spread of Asmodean worship. Actually, since you're summoning a daemon prince, it could be argued that you are working against that spread.

2) Narrowing their location, or indeed searching in general... why would the Seventh, if they're trying to avoid you, stay in one place?

3) Pitting two of your enemies against one another with a bit of misdirection is a time-honoured tactic. Nothing there says Elise fears a direct confrontation with your group. She just prefers using pawns.

4) Why would the Baron keep meeting personally with the Seventh? If communication is necessary, having minions deliver coded messages to dead-drops works just as well. By extension, why would he need to travel into town on a regular basis?

5) What possible reason could he have for agreeing to a meeting in such a vulnerable location where none of his guards can reach?

6) Oh, violence is going to ensue regardless of whether you manage to find and kill the Seventh here. Their actions, and your own, have seen to that. And you have something of a weak point - the ritual for summoning the daemon prince must be done three times a day in a very precise location. If even one is missed, the whole thing fails.

This is very interesting, though. Remember, always double-check your plans for possibly unfounded assumptions. I love it when players can legitimately outsmart my NPCs.

I suppose I can offer some responses. Input like that sets up the tension rather well and I'm definitely third guessing everything I've proposed we do.

1. Is not really Hal's cup of tea anyways, but I'm sure it wouldn't take much for Ilvaria to explain what the plague will be used for and the purpose being served. Elise isn't Asmodean while Ilvaria is some kind of chosen mortal servant of an infernal duke, we are easily the unholier side.

2. Seems like if all they wanted to do was abandon us to our deaths then they'd just up and leave. If they're planning an attack, they'll be around. Buddy can only determine the basics but it can help us determine how immediate the threat is. If they are waiting to take advantage of certain circumstances, then they'll be together in order to respond as quickly as possible.

3. Granted, but if she was confident on taking us on she'd have used her knowledge of the Horn to attack instead of sending Harkon. I suppose there's a good chance she's trying to lure us to Farholde to clean up the mess she's made so she can attack the Horn when its unguarded.

4. If his relationship with Elise is intimate, he's going to want to see her. The power vacuum right now is likely too golden of an opening for an opportunist like him to pass up. He'll probably try and take over leadership of the town.

5. None whatsoever. Invitation sounds nicer than kidnapped.

6. Wouldn't be very climactic if it didn't. There's also that dragon the party doesn't know about yet. A decent first move could be to pretend to send off four of the characters to town, then wait and see if Elise attacks us. May be a waste of time.

Thattaman
2013-01-21, 02:50 AM
If we're sending four people off, then Kydrak and Caldrel offer their service.

Angstrom
2013-01-25, 12:16 AM
So, should we begin some brief interviews with our staff to try and find a mole. That would give us an easy way of contacting Elise at least, assuming such a mole would still have contact with the witch.

I suppose word has already left town of the occult goings on here, but having our organization watching the road out of town and informing us when caravans are fleeing could be a good source of slaves. Receiving word when people are planning to leave could let us trade a few hours nightmare ride for some captives with the added bonus of stopping Talingarde from reacting to a mass exodus of frightened citizens. I know Hal and Quint already discussed this, but if Quint doesn't want to do this until the 7th is dealt with, Hal can probably do most of it himself. That would let me introduce his new cohort in a non-handwavey fashion.

Thattaman
2013-01-27, 06:54 AM
Snowfire, I'll send you a PM detailing Kydrak's meeting with Ilvaria.

Maugan Ra
2013-01-27, 06:56 AM
Remember to copy me in on any such communication.

Otherwise, come on gents, I'm not telepathic. I need something to work with here...

Snowfire
2013-01-27, 07:10 AM
Remember to copy me in on any such communication.

Otherwise, come on gents, I'm not telepathic. I need something to work with here...

I'm copying you in on my reply - which has the original PM quoted in it. I think you may find it rather amusing.

Thattaman
2013-01-27, 07:11 AM
Yep, although we haven't had many posts recently.

Thattaman
2013-01-27, 11:18 AM
Yes, that did just happen.

Snowfire
2013-01-27, 11:45 AM
Yeah, not gonna lie, Kydrak's an idiot. But we all knew that :smalltongue:

Also please note. Ilvaria said she'd teach him about the Hells. She never said how. And there are many, many ways to do that.

Thattaman
2013-01-27, 12:06 PM
Not completely, he is cleverer than he acts.

Maugan Ra
2013-01-27, 12:23 PM
Not completely, he is cleverer than he acts.

See, now, you can keep saying that all you like, it doesn't necessarily make it true. If a man says stupid things, and does stupid things, and makes enemies out of allies, and essentially sells himself into effective slavery to a devil, and makes an Infernal Duke angry with him...

Well, it's not really underestimating you at this point, so much as extrapolating on a pattern...

Thattaman
2013-01-27, 12:38 PM
See, now, you can keep saying that all you like, it doesn't necessarily make it true. If a man says stupid things, and does stupid things, and makes enemies out of allies, and essentially sells himself into effective slavery to a devil, and makes an Infernal Duke angry with him...

Well, it's not really underestimating you at this point, so much as extrapolating on a pattern...

I may be failing at pretty much everything, but this is still my favourite character I've ever played.

Snowfire
2013-01-27, 07:02 PM
Ok, so I have a question. Rather an important one.

The Teleportation Circle we have. Where else does it go? And how can I find out? This would have been done in time between the attack and now.

Secondly - you didn't answer this and it's rather important - do our cohorts magically generate their required WBL as RAW states happens. If so, can we finally get the personal WBL we're meant to have access to? That being 33,000 gp.

Thirdly, and yes, this is OoC knowledge, I'm kinda curious as to how you expect us to kill a dragon considering just about every damaging spell we have access to at this point allows Spell Resistance. And Silver Dragons reflect spells if you fail the check by more than five. Unless of course it's actually scaled to our theoretical level.

Oh, and fourthly. Regarding the Erinyes plan. They can teleport at will.

Maugan Ra
2013-01-27, 07:08 PM
Ancient or older Silver Dragons reflect spells if you fail to beat the spell resistance. Argossian is not an Ancient dragon (since that would be CR 19).

The circles lead to each other, that you know of. There is no way to find out where else they go.

I don't much care what RAW could state here, I'm not spontaneously generating a certain amount of extra treasure for your cohorts as you level up.

Snowfire
2013-01-27, 07:15 PM
Ancient or older Silver Dragons reflect spells if you fail to beat the spell resistance. Argossian is not an Ancient dragon (since that would be CR 19).

The circles lead to each other, that you know of. There is no way to find out where else they go.

I don't much care what RAW could state here, I'm not spontaneously generating a certain amount of extra treasure for your cohorts as you level up.

Check. Check.

And you're not required to at all. Magically generate it I mean. There are at least....three different ways to give us that without it being flat DM fiat. All of them make sense too. And that's off the top of my head. But nyeh.

Oh well.

So the Teleport Circle we have, the sub temple is where again compared to everywhere else?

Comissar
2013-01-28, 05:39 PM
Sorry for the lack of activity, lots of things going on at the moment, making it very hard to keep track of everything. Quint has no problems taking trips to capture people for Hal as has been previously discussed. I'll try to pick up my post rate when some of the pressure eases.

Angstrom
2013-01-28, 09:28 PM
Right, so the organization can be used to monitor caravans coming to or leaving Farholde. Upon receiving this information, Quint and Hal go prisoner hunting with enough nightmares to carry back some souls.

Razorstorm
2013-02-04, 11:09 PM
Hey guys, just checking in! I'm sorry I've been silent, life kinda chewed on my face. Still here!

Thattaman
2013-02-06, 03:32 PM
Where is everyone? This is the best PbP game I've ever been in and I'd hate for it to end when I'm enjoying it to end!

Comissar
2013-02-06, 03:35 PM
Still have a lot of time consuming things going on at the moment, will try and start posting again though.

Snowfire
2013-02-09, 08:07 AM
So, there's a fun little plan here using indirect chaining of Divination magic. A scroll of Divination from a Cleric will cost us 700 gp. We get a few of those, and we can use question chaining to narrow down Elise's current location - even if she's got anti-divination stuff up. As for getting the scrolls, well there's a fun thing there.

Erinyes can Greater Teleport. We can also give one of them an Iron Circlet, and Mira can give the one we send her angelskin clothing, which will change her visible alignment to Lawful Neutral.

Yes, it's using a devil for an errand. But it's an important errand and they are seconded to our service. It also means none of us actually need to leave the Horn for now and - perhaps far more importantly - will let us get things done a whole lot faster.

The questions I'm think of are along the lines of.

"What building will the members of the Seventh Knot be in come time 'x'." If nothing else, it will narrow down location. Get it right, and it will narrow it down enough for us to do a precision strike.

Of course, we have a dragon to murder first, but hey. We'll get around to that first.

Thattaman
2013-02-10, 04:06 AM
Maugan, we're kind of waiting on you to move the story forward. Have we lost anyone? Not that many people have posted recently.

Angstrom
2013-02-11, 03:49 PM
So, there's a fun little plan here using indirect chaining of Divination magic. A scroll of Divination from a Cleric will cost us 700 gp. We get a few of those, and we can use question chaining to narrow down Elise's current location - even if she's got anti-divination stuff up. As for getting the scrolls, well there's a fun thing there.

Erinyes can Greater Teleport. We can also give one of them an Iron Circlet, and Mira can give the one we send her angelskin clothing, which will change her visible alignment to Lawful Neutral.

Yes, it's using a devil for an errand. But it's an important errand and they are seconded to our service. It also means none of us actually need to leave the Horn for now and - perhaps far more importantly - will let us get things done a whole lot faster.

The questions I'm think of are along the lines of.

"What building will the members of the Seventh Knot be in come time 'x'." If nothing else, it will narrow down location. Get it right, and it will narrow it down enough for us to do a precision strike.

Of course, we have a dragon to murder first, but hey. We'll get around to that first.

Nice plan, totally approve. Only addition is that we include on the shopping list a Lesser Rod of Merciful Metamagic for Kin and some scrolls for our spellbooks.

Snowfire
2013-02-11, 03:54 PM
Nice plan, totally approve. Only addition is that we include on the shopping list a Lesser Rod of Merciful Metamagic for Kin and some scrolls for our spellbooks.

Oh, for definite. One of them is going to be a scroll of Marionette Possession (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/m/marionette-possession) for Ilvaria though.

Line of sight Magic Jar. There is literally no end to the possibilities :smallamused:

Thattaman
2013-02-11, 03:56 PM
Where is Maugan, we need him to continue.

Maugan Ra
2013-02-11, 06:35 PM
Maugan turned 21 yesterday, and was thus distracted.

So, what's the overall plan, head into Farholde for shopping? And then work from there?

Snowfire
2013-02-11, 06:50 PM
Um no. Send one of our Erinyes shopping in the closest actual city that will have 5th level scrolls. She will be equipped with one of our Iron Circlets and be wearing Mira's Angelskin clothing, hence making her appear Lawful Neutral to alignment detection spells. When she gets back with our shopping list, we will spend the next day preparing. Ilvaria will also cast the Divinations at that point, looking for where Elise and the others of the old Eight Knot will be in five days time.

If asked, the camouflaged Erniyes will be collecting the scrolls so that a colleague of hers can locate someone very important to her. The reasons for the several scrolls will be that they believe the person to currently be shielded from Divination magic by their present location. Or something similar. Erinyes have high bluff, she can work it out I suspect. Although none of the above is actually lying.

And congrats on hitting 21. You're now a year closer to death! Enjoy :smallbiggrin:

Also, Thattaman, you do realise that with your new avatar, I am now honour bound to in some way acquire a belt of gender bending and trick Kydrak into putting it on, right?

Thattaman
2013-02-12, 12:56 PM
Also, Thattaman, you do realise that with your new avatar, I am now honour bound to in some way acquire a belt of gender bending and trick Kydrak into putting it on, right?

Yes, I realise that. This may have to become my permanent avatar then. Kydrak probably wouldn't mind too much becoming a woman. Women have special ways of persuasion that Kydrak could never do. And he never really got to use his man parts.

Razorstorm
2013-02-19, 12:34 PM
Is anyone out there?
:eek:

Thattaman
2013-02-22, 03:57 AM
Please don't say we've lost this game. I just got a new avatar and everything. This game was totally awesome but we haven't had any posts in ages.

Angstrom
2013-02-22, 12:00 PM
How about we all put down what we think should be on the shopping list? I realized we're assuming one of the characters that isn't from Talingarde will be able to suggest a city where 'evil' spells can be purchased. If that's not possibly, there's always plane shifting.

Right now we have
Lesser Rod of Merciful
Divinationx3
Marionette Possession
Animate Dead
Stone Shape
and Enervation

Razorstorm
2013-02-22, 03:52 PM
I'm still here!

My big concern is replenishing our minions.

Thattaman
2013-02-23, 03:58 AM
My big concern ins making sure this game isn't dead.

increddibelly
2013-02-26, 08:16 AM
hey villains, I've been lurking in here since you've started and loving every minute of it.
As it happens, I'm running this very adventure for another party; if anything (or rather, nothing!) should happen to this game, drop me a PM and we'll see about not letting it end before the world is burning.
That said, I think you should try and get things rolling again. This game is way too cool and your characters are working far too well to be abandoned.

increddibelly
2013-03-07, 06:07 AM
Until Maugan Ra steps back in and boots me, I'll be happy to hop in the driving seat for a while.:smallsmile: I just hope it's not too late and that you haven't all given up on these awesome characters.

I suggest we proceed with Iltara's original plan of having some divination done, preparing for assault, and raiding the treacherous dogs.
So, how many scrolls did you want?
Oh, and I'm sure you did remember to instruct the Erinyes to pop back and deliver the number of scrolls readily available vs. having her wait until the entire order was complete...? It would be such a waste of resources to have her wait in Ghastenhall for a week...

Thattaman
2013-03-07, 12:24 PM
I'm willing and wanting to start again, Kydrak doesn't command the erinyes, that's Ilvaria's job. Kydrak's now plotting his hate for her. If you're our new GM, I need to send some PMs your way.

Snowfire
2013-03-07, 02:15 PM
I'm still up for it. I had some rather fun plans for Ilvaria in the works - as well as several...lessons...for her 1-up I mean Kydrak :smalltongue:

If we do this, I'll need to send you several PMs regarding the specifics of certain things involving Ilvaria and her plans. Luckily I have just about all that written down.

Razorstorm
2013-03-07, 02:50 PM
IT LIVES!!!! Yay! I'm excited to keep this game going!

increddibelly
2013-03-07, 04:43 PM
let's get this show back on the road.

There's a looooot of loose ends and that's a little tough for me to jump into. So How about we deal with the elephant in the room first - Elise's cronies. You still have the erinyes (let's pretend no time has gone by at all) and you have an interesting plan. Ilvaria, would you start by formulating the exact divinations? You'll hate me, I promise, but feel free to try and make them as good as you can.

From there, we can get back to the day to day business of evil masterminding!:smallbiggrin:

Comissar
2013-03-08, 04:18 AM
If we are continuing from where we left off then there are various things I will also need to tell you about.

Angstrom
2013-03-10, 07:33 PM
If no one has heard from Maugan I guess we should continue. Snowfire, feel free to use Buddy's Commune ability before or after your divinations to help narrow down the targeting.

As for the erinyes, greater teleport at will makes me think we could send her somewhere far away where our coin won't go towards our enemy's economy. I assume from Kydrak's boasting that he knows places outside of Talingarde where scrolls can be purchased.

Snowfire
2013-03-10, 08:27 PM
Hmm. Well then.

Considering Hal can just summon flat Cacodaemons as last was stated, I think I've got a rather large number of these...

As a start:

"Are any of the former members of the Seventh Knot protected from the spell Divination?"

"Are the former members of the Seventh Knot within Farholde."

"Are the former members of the Seventh Knot still acting as a unit?"

"Were all former members of the Seventh Knot aware of the plan to betray the Ninth Knot to Inquisitor Harkon?"

"Was Baron [Name I can't remember] aware of the plan to betray the Ninth Knot?"

"Is Baron [name] aware of the location of the former members of the Seventh Knot?"

"Will Baron [name] and any member of the former Seventh Knot be meeting within the next five days?"

If yes:

"Will the aforementioned meeting between Baron [name] and the former member or members of the Seventh Knot take place within Farholde?"

And I think that's about it for now.

Divination Spells will be cast after this and any further questions.

And I welcome any helpful addition on wording and suchlike.

Ilvaria will agree muchly with sending the Erinyes somewhere other than Talingarde for the scrolls. And I'm sure we can work out somewhere that'll work for us to get them :smallbiggrin:

I will also be throwing a pm in your direction sometime in the next few days increddibelly. Need to let you know about certain things, as well as a few other plans that I have simmering away.

Ok, more than a few.

What?

Ok, fine! A lot.

No, you're not getting anything more out of me on that score :smalltongue:

Angstrom
2013-03-10, 10:49 PM
The summoning does still cost us, but is significantly cheaper than normal since Hal doesn't need to pay the initial 500gp, just the cost of the time we need. So 750 for an hour since this is a nonthreatening summon, but depending on whether Hal makes his diplomacy check/Vetra-Kali and Hexor back him up, I'm sure he could get a bulk rate. Increddibelly, send me a PM if you want me to forward you a copy of Maugan's boon.

I would change the wording of the 'former members of the seventh knot' to the names of the members since the Cardinal may have had previous knots.

increddibelly
2013-03-11, 05:42 AM
Yes, Please send me.
I'll take whatever you say in stride, I'm not going to read the details for now, I already have plenty loose ends to tie down :)
Oh - this may sound like you're going to get away with anything - but eventually I'll catch up, and if you're caught cheating, you should really hope the character is already dead :smallbiggrin:

that said:

"Are any of the former members of the Seventh Knot protected from the spell Divination?"

Nay

"Are the former members of the Seventh Knot within Farholde."

Aye
(I was going to say Nay, since at the time of your asking one of 'em was bound to be out of town. But, for the sake of getting the show back on the road, let's say you all worked together to optimize the wording!)

"Are the former members of the Seventh Knot still acting as a unit?"
Aye

"Were all former members of the Seventh Knot aware of the plan to betray the Ninth Knot to Inquisitor Harkon?"
Nay

"Was Baron Arkov Vandermir aware of the plan to betray the Ninth Knot?"Nay

"Is Baron Arkov Vandermir aware of the location of the former members of the Seventh Knot?"Aye

"Will Baron Arkov Vandermir and any member of the former Seventh Knot be meeting within the next five days?"

Insha'Asmodei. infernal:(Asmodeus willing, yes)

If yes:

"Will the aforementioned meeting between Baron [name] and the former member or members of the Seventh Knot take place within Farholde?"Aye

increddibelly
2013-03-11, 05:44 AM
I think learning that not all of the 7th are on the same page is the major benefit from these divinations. :smallamused:

Snowfire
2013-03-11, 07:17 AM
I think learning that not all of the 7th are on the same page is the major benefit from these divinations. :smallamused:

*whistles innocently*

The final four questions we have assuming only one other daemon summoned will be posted this afternoon or early evening.

Commune is awesome.

Especially for directing more powerful spells in the same vein :smallbiggrin:

Razorstorm
2013-03-11, 08:19 AM
Wait wait wait, guys. We should ask one more really important question before we possibly make a very very big mistake.

"Was Elise of the Seventh Knot aware of the plan to betray the Ninth Knot to Inquisitor Harkon."

Lets check our core assumptions lest we find ourselves being manipulated by someone else into lashing out at Elise.

increddibelly
2013-03-11, 10:23 AM
ooh. clever, that.:smallsmile:
is there a limit to the number of divinations...? I'd like to say yes otherwise all information is suddenly free-ish. what's your cost?

Snowfire
2013-03-11, 10:42 AM
ooh. clever, that.:smallsmile:
is there a limit to the number of divinations...? I'd like to say yes otherwise all information is suddenly free-ish. what's your cost?

In reply:

The summoning does still cost us, but is significantly cheaper than normal since Hal doesn't need to pay the initial 500gp, just the cost of the time we need. So 750 for an hour since this is a nonthreatening summon, but depending on whether Hal makes his diplomacy check/Vetra-Kali and Hexor back him up, I'm sure he could get a bulk rate. Increddibelly, send me a PM if you want me to forward you a copy of Maugan's boon.

I would change the wording of the 'former members of the seventh knot' to the names of the members since the Cardinal may have had previous knots.

Hal has a Cacodaemon familiar (which gets 6 questions from a 1/week Commune). The boon he got from Vetra-Kali (which he has hopefully sent to you as I have no idea what it does entire) allows him a bonus on the check to summon/bind/whatever them as well as negating the gp cost for the spell to summon them. So it should be no problem, especially for daemons that are that weak.

So we've summoned at least 1 additional Cacodaemon and have had it use its Commune ability as well (again 6 questions), which gives us a total of 12 questions.

I used eight, nine now following Razorstorm's suggestion. The other three...will be worked out later on today when I'm home.

And then we'll get to the real fun stuff. The Divinations :smallbiggrin:

increddibelly
2013-03-11, 01:45 PM
In that case,

"Was Elise of the Seventh Knot aware of the plan to betray the Ninth Knot to Inquisitor Harkon."
...[drum roll]...

...Aye!

Snowfire
2013-03-11, 03:51 PM
More questions then:

"Are any members of the former Seventh Knot currently residing within the residence of Baron Arkov Vandermir?"

If nay:

"Would Baron Arkov Vandermir betray the former Seventh Knot's location if their treachery was revealed to him?"

If nay:

"Would Baron Arkov Vandermir betray the former Seventh Knot's location if offered an appropriate incentive of promised power or gold?"

Thattaman
2013-03-11, 03:54 PM
Kydrak has a question!

"Was Cardinal Thorne aware of Elise's treachery before we told him of it?"

Before you answer it and I waste a question, check that Ilvaria is OK with Kydrak asking this question, what he does is generally best to be run past all of the rest of the group or he'd get them all killed.

Snowfire
2013-03-11, 05:37 PM
Kydrak has a question!

"Was Cardinal Thorne aware of Elise's treachery before we told him of it?"

Before you answer it and I waste a question, check that Ilvaria is OK with Kydrak asking this question, what he does is generally best to be run past all of the rest of the group or he'd get them all killed.

Yeah...I'm pretty against this one as it seems so hugely unlikely - also we can ask it later when it actually matters.

So that's a no vote from me.

Angstrom
2013-03-11, 07:07 PM
I would also advise against wasting a question on whether Elise knew. Taskar's testimony told us that she was involved. Same thing for the third question about Baron Vandermir, since the word 'appropriate' means the question won't really provide us with information.

increddibelly
2013-03-12, 05:52 AM
Angstrom is correct, you already know. but I never say no when PC resources are blissfully being wasted :smallamused:

"Are any members of the former Seventh Knot currently residing within the residence of Baron Arkov Vandermir?"
aye.

Do cacodaemons provide facial expressions when communing? if so,
This one's would probably be :smalleek: or :smallredface:

Snowfire
2013-03-12, 06:44 AM
Angstrom is correct, you already know. but I never say no when PC resources are blissfully being wasted :smallamused:

Not so much. Taskar said someone resembling talked to someone resembling. Could have been a play on the part of another interested party. And considering we've basically got as many questions as we care to steal acquire, it's no waste.

aye.
Do cacodaemons provide facial expressions when communing? This one would probably be :smalleek: or :smallredface:, things cannot be unseen

Well then this presents a rather pretty opportunity :smallamused:

Final two questions.

"Will the former member(s) of the Seventh Knot currently residing within the home of Baron Arkov Vandermir remain there for the next 24 hours or longer?"

"Is the Seventh Knot using the residence of Baron Arkov Vandermir as their new base of operations?"

Might not need those Divinations at all :smallamused:

As to Erinyes being sent off, she'll be asked/told to get what she can when she's there and then set a time to collect it all as soon as is possible. For scrolls, we want them in the next day if at all possible.

The metamagic rod I would in all honesty hold off on as Cloudsmeet hasn't been on the forums in over a month. So shopping list:

Scrolls of:
Divination x3
Marionette Possession
Animate Dead - Don't bother, you can get it from Ilvaria who now has access to the spell because Cleric.
Stone Shape Same here. Cleric spell list = fun.
Enervation

Anything else?

increddibelly
2013-03-12, 08:33 AM
I'm sure I do not yet have your entire history in my mind, and I'd like to keep things consistent. So, before I answer the last two questions, here's one of my own:
during your adventures, did anything ...unfortunate... happen to their previous residence?

Snowfire
2013-03-12, 08:42 AM
I'm sure I do not yet have your entire history in my mind, and I'd like to keep things consistent. So, before I answer the last two questions, here's one of my own:
during your adventures, did anything ...unfortunate... happen to their previous residence?

The Seventh were using one of the local taverns as their base of operations. It was found this morning that five/six people had been brutally murdered within it and that their blood had been used to pain signs and sigils and "Stay away from the Horn" in infernal all over the inside (and possible outside) of the building. So yeah, they're not using there anymore.

That's a big part of why the Divinations are being done, as we knew where they were but they aren't there anymore.

Razorstorm
2013-03-12, 09:27 AM
I would also advise against wasting a question on whether Elise knew. Taskar's testimony told us that she was involved. Same thing for the third question about Baron Vandermir, since the word 'appropriate' means the question won't really provide us with information.

I don't think this is a waste at all. We are taking some pretty serious action based on the testimony of a mercenary. Taskar's testimony could easily have been a setup to get us to betray the Ninth Knot inncorrectly, thus bringing down the wrath of our lord on us instead. Pretty clever way to get us to destroy ourselves, actually.

Snowfire
2013-03-12, 09:36 AM
I don't think this is a waste at all. We are taking some pretty serious action based on the testimony of a mercenary. Taskar's testimony could easily have been a setup to get us to betray the Ninth Knot inncorrectly, thus bringing down the wrath of our lord on us instead. Pretty clever way to get us to destroy ourselves, actually.

Um...not really.

Consider the fact that Thorn has declared the Seventh Knot broken following rather...intensive examination of the facts. Trust me on this, lying to a cleric is extremely difficult if they really want to get the answer out of you.

My only reason for asking that question was to see if there was another party in the mix trying to manipulate both of us. In all honesty, there still might be, but the list of them is growing pretty sparse - except for unnamed third parties mind :smallbiggrin:

increddibelly
2013-03-12, 11:18 AM
Trust me

hahahaha oww sorry.:smallbiggrin:

Snowfire
2013-03-12, 11:26 AM
hahahaha oww sorry.:smallbiggrin:

Oh hush you.

And answer the Commune questions :smalltongue:

Thattaman
2013-03-12, 12:17 PM
What if Thorne commanded them to do that in the hope they'd succeed and he's planning on killing us for some reason. Or if he knew and wanted to test us. If those circlets are allowing divination to be easy, why wouldn't he know what they were doing. They might be his most loyal companions and we're just pawns to be used and disposed of.

Snowfire
2013-03-12, 12:22 PM
What if Thorne commanded them to do that in the hope they'd succeed and he's planning on killing us for some reason. Or if he knew and wanted to test us. If those circlets are allowing divination to be easy, why wouldn't he know what they were doing. They might be his most loyal companions and we're just pawns to be used and disposed of.

1. That would be a violation of his promise of reward in exchange for service.

2. It would be stupid.

3. Again, violation.

4. He has better things to use his spell slots for than keeping track of inconsequential minions.

5. He would not have declared the Knot broken if he believed them loyal.

6. Tiadora would not have given us command of two Erinyes if Thorn intended to have us killed.

I can keep going. Would you like me to?

increddibelly
2013-03-12, 03:51 PM
I can keep going. Would you like me to?
Yes please.

"Will the former member(s) of the Seventh Knot currently residing within the home of Baron Arkov Vandermir remain there for the next 24 hours or longer?"
some.

"Is the Seventh Knot using the residence of Baron Arkov Vandermir as their new base of operations?"
sometimes.

increddibelly
2013-03-13, 06:59 AM
if you want one of the erinyes to fetch your magical groceries for you, please instruct them in the IC thread, that kinda makes it more formal.

do you have any idea...
...how much cash is in the party loot? (I'm assuming enough for some cheap communes and the shopping list)
...how much time has elapsed since the start of the ritual (in weeks)
I'm trying to get my bearings on what events have happened but I guess I'll have to reread the whole thread and take notes :-/
...do you lot have an excel sheet / google docs thingy to manage minion actions per week? would you mind if we made one?

Snowfire
2013-03-13, 08:15 AM
if you want one of the erinyes to fetch your magical groceries for you, please instruct them in the IC thread, that kinda makes it more formal.

do you have any idea...
...how much cash is in the party loot? (I'm assuming enough for some cheap communes and the shopping list)
...how much time has elapsed since the start of the ritual (in weeks)
I'm trying to get my bearings on what events have happened but I guess I'll have to reread the whole thread and take notes :-/
...do you lot have an excel sheet / google docs thingy to manage minion actions per week? would you mind if we made one?

8,100gp from the treasury + whatever we had from before + 16,000 gp that Ilvaria has made by selling looted equipment.

5 weeks and 2 days.

We do not, but I'm all for you making one

increddibelly
2013-03-13, 03:46 PM
5 weeks? wow, I'd have guessed 18-ish.
Okay, that's it, I really should re-read everything that's happened in those last 7 pages before I can add anything to your game - it's been weeks and I've forgotten the details.
I'll be back on friday!
In the mean time, if you were working on a side story that you wouldn't want to see lost, please send me a PM (if you haven't already) so I can work it in.

Thattaman
2013-03-13, 04:23 PM
Are we going to start posting IC again soon?

Angstrom
2013-03-13, 08:43 PM
5 weeks? wow, I'd have guessed 18-ish.
Okay, that's it, I really should re-read everything that's happened in those last 7 pages before I can add anything to your game - it's been weeks and I've forgotten the details.
I'll be back on friday!
In the mean time, if you were working on a side story that you wouldn't want to see lost, please send me a PM (if you haven't already) so I can work it in.

Yeah, Maugan tweaked the timing of events due in some part to Hal's backstory with Inquisitor Harkon. As that's the case, Hal's personal plot is wrapped up. I'll include some resolution bits re:not-quite-avenging Van and his sister before introducing the new cohort and beginning any extra subplots.

increddibelly
2013-03-15, 01:47 PM
Are we going to start posting IC again soon?

I'm not stopping you :) Reading up and taking notes is taking a bit more time than I'd like but I'm nearly there.
If you need a GM decision before you can continue, sorry, and please rub my nose in it so I can fix it.
On the other hand, I'd love an in-character request to the erinyes who'll be doing your shopping for you, so we can finalize the shopping list and send her on her way.
I'm working up a spreadsheet, and once that's done I should be ready.

Snowfire
2013-03-15, 01:48 PM
I'm not stopping you :) Reading up and taking notes is taking a bit more time than I'd like but I'm nearly there.
If you need a GM decision before you can continue, sorry, and please rub my nose in it so I can fix it.
On the other hand, I'd love an in-character request to the erinyes who'll be doing your shopping for you, so we can finalize the shopping list and send her on her way.
I'm working up a spreadsheet, and once that's done I should be ready.

Well I'm mainly just wanting to make sure that we've got everything we need on that list.

Is there anything more that people need?

increddibelly
2013-03-23, 05:19 PM
I still haven't done all the reading I'd like to, but perhaps we should just focus on getting moving again.

Thattaman
2013-03-24, 03:20 AM
The OOC thread hasn't expired, or I wouldn't be posting in it now. :smallamused: I'm kind of waiting for our gracious GM to move us forward in the plot.

Razorstorm
2013-03-26, 09:30 PM
So anyone have any ideas for beefing up our living minions? I'm feeling rather exposed right now.

Probably too expensive to hire mercenaries...

What about crazy cultists we inspire to come worship at the altar, drawn by the strange events?

Heck, I'd even settle for some smelly greenskins! I'm looking for warm bodies to slow intruders down.

increddibelly
2013-03-27, 05:45 PM
the shopping list will arrive around dusk tomorrow (tomorrow for your characters, i.e. 1 night and 5 more days of support from the erinyes remains from your contractual week)

shall we get cracking on letting the seventh knot know how disappointed you are? :smallbiggrin:

Folks, I'd love to be more active, but *right* now I simply can't manage; I have to put this game lower on my list of priorities than I'd like to.

increddibelly
2013-04-03, 04:45 PM
as it turns out, it seems I've been a little ambitious. It appears there's simply not enough room in my schedule to fit this game in.
So, rather than let you hang there like the previous person, I'll just come clean and, sadly, wave goodbye.

Darn. such a waste of a perfectly good game. :smallmad:

Thattaman
2013-04-04, 04:00 AM
If you want I can take over. I own parts 1,2,3,4 and 6 of Way of the Wicked adventure path and I'm currently GMing it. I would quite like to keep Kydrak and Caldrel as GMPCs. If you'll allow it, that is. We can still continue this game if we try hard enough and post regularly. Who's still here and willing to play?

increddibelly
2013-04-09, 01:51 PM
please continue :) I'm sorry I can't be of more help.

Thattaman
2013-04-10, 03:37 AM
I guess everyone's just given up then. :smallfrown: Oh, well. Goodbye Kydrak. :smallfrown:

Razorstorm
2013-04-10, 07:16 PM
Yeah, sadly, I think this is dead. We held on, but I think at this point we should just let it go.

It was great playing with y'all. Hopefully we'll get to do it again!