PDA

View Full Version : vampire in the sun question

GenghisDon
2012-08-15, 11:12 AM
the MM states a vampire caught in sunlight is disorientated & can only take a move action or an attack action. They are toast the following round if they can't get out of the sun.

can a caster vampire save themself via a spell such as darkness, deeper darkness, dimension door or teleport? It's a standard action (most likely), not an attack action, but is the above "attack action" an error?

If so, shouldn't they have to make a concentration check to do so? what DC would you set?

Hyde
2012-08-15, 11:46 AM
I'm pretty sure the idea is that they only get a single action, unless they mean to say "you can move, otherwise you can make a basic attack".

Mari01
2012-08-15, 11:52 AM
the MM states a vampire caught in sunlight is disorientated & can only take a move action or an attack action. They are toast the following round if they can't get out of the sun.

can a caster vampire save themself via a spell such as darkness, deeper darkness, dimension door or teleport? It's a standard action (most likely), not an attack action, but is the above "attack action" an error?

If so, shouldn't they have to make a concentration check to do so? what DC would you set?

I think it should be a move or standard. And if you'd like to impose a concentration check, why not use the one for being distracted?

GenghisDon
2012-08-15, 01:19 PM
Sure, but what level is the sun? 2, 7, 8? makes it pretty much guess work.

And it's really stated as ATTACK action, not standard action, but opinions on it was what I'm after, so thanks guys. I can see either (vamp is VERY screwed, or just needs to have some chops).

Teflonknight
2012-08-15, 01:38 PM
Sure, but what level is the sun? 2, 7, 8? makes it pretty much guess work.

I believe that the level requirement only applies to magical light.

GenghisDon
2012-08-15, 01:42 PM
distracting "spell's" DC is what I'm looking for...or one can ad hoc it and say 15 or 20 I guess.

jackattack
2012-08-15, 08:25 PM
Well, how do you rule on what constitutes sunlight?

Is it any variety of daylight, including false dawn and dusk and really cloudy days and light through stained glass and the ambient light that reaches the interior hallway outside a room with a window? Create a simple brightness scale and set the DC accordingly. (For that matter, you might even give the vampire more rounds in lower levels of sunlight.)

OR is it direct sunlight only, in an unobstructed path directly from the sun (or magical/divine source) to the vampire? (And reflected in a mirror, of course.) I'd set the DC at 20 or 25 and be done with it.

Hyde
2012-08-16, 12:35 PM
Well, I'd say that since the sun's effect radius is several A.U. (and even at 1 A.U., even mundanes get burned pretty regularly) and the closer you get to the sun, the closer it gets to dealing infinite damage/round.

I'd say the sun's level is somewhere between 5 and 9001.

Downysole
2012-08-16, 01:57 PM

I think that the vamp is specifically nerfed in this way. I would rule that he cannot cast, and can only choose from his physical attacks and special attacks or a move action.

Urpriest
2012-08-16, 02:07 PM
I think that the vamp is specifically nerfed in this way. I would rule that he cannot cast, and can only choose from his physical attacks and special attacks or a move action.

Why special attacks?

nedz
2012-08-16, 02:12 PM
Surely its just a move action to open a large umbrella ?

Or hide underneath a blanket ?

Or duck into a doorway ?

Slipperychicken
2012-08-16, 03:09 PM
Surely its just a move action to open a large umbrella ?

Or hide underneath a blanket ?

Or duck into a doorway ?

Just a Standard Action to use Iron Heart Surge. :smalltongue:

Spuddles
2012-08-16, 03:15 PM
Why special attacks?

Level drain on slam? A final FU to the PCs.

GenghisDon
2012-08-16, 03:23 PM
Just a Standard Action to use Iron Heart Surge. :smalltongue:

which, as written, it can't do.

Downysole seems to be the only one that thinks RAW is RAI it seems, although I was leaning that way to begin with.

nedz: those might or might not save it, or be possible. I suppose it makes sense for a vampire to keep a heavy blanket or tarp in it's gear...but even so, I'm not thinking any PC's will have a terribly difficult time "removing" said sunblocker.

If there is a safe place within spd distance, it's the obvious option, AOO's be damned. I was thinking primarily about their options when it's not so convenient for them.

Slipperychicken
2012-08-16, 04:14 PM
which, as written, it can't do.

"Move or Attack Action"... What? That ought to be "Move or Standard", since that's how basically every other restricted-action condition behaves. It makes very little sense otherwise. So he can Full-Attack, but not use a maneuver :smallconfused:

Might want to prep a Contingent Darkness or something similar to go off when he touches sunlight. Wrapping up in heavy/totally obscuring clothes should protect him as well. Or those boots from MIC which let you teleport as a move action. He could take that one maneuver that lets him Dimension Door as a Move action.

Urpriest
2012-08-16, 04:32 PM
Level drain on slam? A final FU to the PCs.

That would be a physical attack. I'm curious what Downysole thought he was adding with that clause.

GenghisDon
2012-08-16, 05:59 PM
dominate gaze on caster & try to get saved by their spell?

I certainly don't believe "full attack" is an option either; that & double move are things they absolutely can't do why frying in the sun.

maybe it SHOULD have read move or standard, that's kinda the point of the thread, seeing what folks think about it.

limejuicepowder
2012-08-16, 06:02 PM
Well, I'd say that since the sun's effect radius is several A.U. (and even at 1 A.U., even mundanes get burned pretty regularly) and the closer you get to the sun, the closer it gets to dealing infinite damage/round.

I'd say the sun's level is somewhere between 5 and 9001.

OVER 9000?!?!

panaikhan
2012-08-17, 07:38 AM
I think the 'can only move or attack' stems from the Hollywood portrayal of vampires being transfixed by a ray from the sun.
Personally, I would rule they could only make full-round move actions, after all, they have 6 seconds to get out of the sun or they fry, so why wouldn't they run?

nedz
2012-08-17, 08:33 AM
Surely today's smart Vampire would apply alchemical sun block to avoid any such embarrassment, Factor 9001 obviously.

Urpriest
2012-08-17, 10:25 AM
dominate gaze on caster & try to get saved by their spell?

See, if Downysole meant that, he would be allowing them to use Standard Actions, which doesn't seem to be what he meant. Hence my curiosity.

Hyde
2012-08-17, 01:32 PM
See, if Downysole meant that, he would be allowing them to use Standard Actions, which doesn't seem to be what he meant. Hence my curiosity.

I think he was limiting the kinds of standard actions. Basically an inclusive version of his immediately previous "no spellcasting" exclusive statement.

I'm assuming this is in the context of a vampire with caster levels.

JBento
2012-08-17, 01:50 PM
I would like to point out that there is no such thing as an "attack action" in D&D. There's "standard action," and there's "attack."

That's probably a text typo and meant to be "standard action."

Mari01
2012-08-17, 02:05 PM
I think he was limiting the kinds of standard actions. Basically an inclusive version of his immediately previous "no spellcasting" exclusive statement.

I'm assuming this is in the context of a vampire with caster levels.

Why not just gaseous form then?

nedz
2012-08-17, 03:41 PM
Why not just gaseous form then?

Because this tactic is almost certain suicide, even out of sunlight, unless you can use it to get away. GF doesn't protect you from either melle nor sunlight.

Necroticplague
2012-08-17, 05:41 PM
I would like to point out that there is no such thing as an "attack action" in D&D. There's "standard action," and there's "attack."

Except an attack action is an actual thing, a standard action give you one, a full-attack can give you multiple, and you can use them to either attack or initiate combat maneuvers (trip, grapple, bull-rush). In addition, AoOs are also attack actions you can take when it's not your turn.

GenghisDon
2012-08-18, 07:19 AM

well, it's a common one in the MM anyway. Spectres are powerless in sunlight & cannot attack & "can take only a single move or attack action in a round"

I think that settles it; standard action is the intent, the writers & editors were just sloppy (shocker).

thanks, spectre!

AlchemicalMyst
2012-08-18, 10:15 AM
well, it's a common one in the MM anyway. Spectres are powerless in sunlight & cannot attack & "can take only a single move or attack action in a round"

I think that settles it; standard action is the intent, the writers & editors were just sloppy (shocker).

thanks, spectre!

^^^these^^^

I once had a big discussion with my DM when my vampire character was caught in sunlight and he wasn't allowing me a standard action to cast Dimension Door to escape a clever trap that landed me in direct sunlight. My initial pointing out that there is no such thing as a Attack Actions and that it is probably supposed to be Standard Action was finally accepted when I miraculously found the Spectre entry.

Also, I hate when people say common sense says it means any "attack" because imho it obviously means standard action, and with how many typos and copy paste errors Wizards makes in every single game I think common sense on these things usually goes right out the window xD. In older editions (i believe) and D20 Modern there are "Attack Actions" so it seems to me it's just an Author typo.