PDA

View Full Version : Blisstake's Kingmaker - Rivers Run Red

Blisstake
2012-08-15, 07:07 PM
4th of Lamashan

As you head Southeast, away from the haunted barrow, the sounds of wildlife return, suggesting that no living creatures were welcome inside. The hilly landscape that dominates the South-Eastern portion of the Greenbelt is no different as you continue on your way. This region is cut off toward the final fifth by a wide river, populated with a variety of colorful fish swimming upstream.

You don't have much time to appreciate the ichthyic diversity, however, as a large reptiallian head with an elongated neck emerges from the water with a sinister hiss. As you ready your weapons, five similar heads emerge from the river, all seemingly attached to the same body below.

Okay, we're back! I'll be posting for Lanius if we don't hear from Omeganaut. The enemy in front of you is a hydra if my description wasn't very good. You guys get the first move.

Since the hydra is just 30 feet away in the river, I don't think we need a map for this one. But if there's any confusion let me know.

DrK
2012-08-16, 04:33 PM
Gothos parades along with others, still happy to be out enjoying the country air and the walking through the wilds once more. Even more so with the wight sized notch in his greataxe from the recent battle.

The hydra leaping from the river is a surprise to him and the others. "Back up friends. Watch out for the beast. Caelon and I will confront it heads on..."

Retreating 20ft away from the hydra to buy some time he pulls forth the greataxe and shields the blade in crackling green energy...

retreat 20ft (with the others ideally) to get some space and cast Divine Favour

Iniative [roll0]

Drothmal
2012-08-16, 08:19 PM
Caelon had been rather silent since the exploration of the crypt. Though part of his behavior could be ascribed to the need of repose as the paladin's very soul was recovering from the wight's wound, there was a second reason for the holy warrior's introspection: The phantom of guilt, which had receded from Caelon's heart, was looming again

The almost disastrous encounter with the undead had left the Champion of Erastil ridden with self doubt. Had not his companions, his friends, his Queen been needlessly endangered due to his lack of strength? Was he fit to be the Shield of Arkendale?

Caelon's rumminations are stop short upon encountering the hydra. Seeing the monstrous reptilian in front of the group, all doubt clears from the paladin's mind

I will not let anything happen to them the Councilor of Arkendale bows to himself

With that resolution the holy warrior raises his shield and, instead of retreating with the rest, he advances to position himself between the monster and the rest of the party

EVERYONE, STAY BEHIND ME! commands the Councilor, who then proceeds to challenge the hydra

BEAST! I AM YOUR FOE

As he waits for the enemy, the paladin whispers a prayer to his patron deity

Erastil, should a life need to be taken, I offer you mine freely in exchange for your mercy towards those I share the Burden with

Actions
Move to position discussed OoC. Ready action to use the standard action as a move action to intercept any attempts to circumvent the block

Status
HP=36/36
AC=25 (15 touch, 22 FF)
F=+8, R=+7, W=+6
CMB= +7
CMD= 20
Lay on Hands= 5/5
Smite Evil = 2/2

Fighting Defensively

Blisstake
2012-08-16, 10:16 PM
The beast slitheres toward the open paladin with astonishing speed while the others prepare. Caelon, ever prepared for the attack, jumps in with a jab of his own, while the 6 heads of the hydra snarl in anger.

The far left head curves inward, then lashes out sideways, knocking the surprised champion of Erastil onto his backside. The beast's 5 other heads bear down on the prone paladin, who is thankfully still just as protected by his armor as he would be standing. Caelon still suffers serious injuries, but is still able to continue the fight.

18 damage to Caelon, and he's prone. Do keep in mind I apply the hard mode template to most enemies, especially when it's 1 encounter/day :smallamused:

If you're wondering why Caelon got two attacks, it's because one is a prepared action, and the other is an AoO against the trip attempt. The latter didn't connect, alas.

{table=head]~ |-A-|-B-|-C-|-D-|-E-|-F-|-G-|-H-
1 | | | | | | | | |
2 | B | | | | | | | |
3 | L | | | | H | H | H | |
4 | G | | | C | H | H | H | |
5 | M | | | | H | H | H | |
6 | N | | | | | | | |
7 | | | | | | | | |
8 | | | | | | | | |
[/table]

Selinia
2012-08-17, 12:18 AM
Seeing the monstrous beast rising from the river, Nelia suppresses a shudder. Unmistakable, with such a grotesque array of toothy maws and writhing necks - a hydra. Few creatures were spoken of with such awe in the sages' annals... they could be slain, but it would not be a simple matter. The young queen left her bow slung, for the moment - its petty shafts would be little use against a beast which could knit its flesh together in moments.

But with a few arcane gestures, the hydra quickly finds its many eyes itching and searing with a thousand pricks of pain as crystalline dust settles over every inch of the creature's body.

"Hold... hold for just a moment..." Nelia calls out in a level tone, waiting to see if the magic has taken effect. "Lord Ismort has lured it to us. Wait for an opening, and cut it so deep no healing shall ever mend its wounds!"

Actions:
Cast Glitterdust (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/g/glitterdust) [DC 17 Will Save of Blind for 4 rounds] on the hydra as it assaults Caelon. I'm not entirely certain whether it's possible to ready a spell against a charge; but if it is, Nelia will Ready glitterdust with the trigger being 'the hydra charges'. Otherwise she delays and casts it.

Although the ready action point may be moot, since Blisstake beat me to posting by a solid couple hours. It seems slightly sleazy to ready against something that has already happened, so if you just want to count Nelia as skipping her turn, that's fine. Not much beyond casting glitterdust she can do against this thing anyway, so it's mainly a matter of whether or not it is potentially blind for those initial attacks on Caelon.

HP: 31/31
AC: 17
Fort: +2 | Ref: +7 | Will: +2
1st Level Spells: 5/5
2nd Level Spells: 1/2
Bardsong Rounds: 14/14

Drothmal
2012-08-18, 01:55 AM
As his heavily armored body hits the ground, the only though on Caelon's mind is maintaining the creature's attention on him. Even as the wicked creature pierces his flesh, the holy warrior only concentrates on using his shield to fend off as many attacks as he can so he can present more of a threat to the foe.

As he stands up, the Champion of Erastil calls upon his god to mend his wounds

Sanare!

Do not worry about me! the paladin cries to his companions as his injuries heal themselves I will hold the creature in place until it is no longer a threat!

With that, the stoic paladin unleashes another cut at the multiple headed foe

Actions
Swift: Lay on hands
[roll0]
Move: Stand up (provokes AoO)
Standard: Attack while still fighting defensively

[roll1]
[roll2]

Status
HP=25/36
AC=25 (15 touch, 22 FF)
F=+8, R=+7, W=+6
CMB= +7
CMD= 20
Lay on Hands= 4/5
Smite Evil = 2/2

Fighting Defensively

DrK
2012-08-18, 04:22 AM
Seeing the Hydra set upon his friend the half-orc lowers the visor on his helm leaving just his jaw and tusks protruding from the bottom. "Your blood shall drown Gorum's throne beast" he mutters before starting the long run at the Hydra with a great cry of "GORUM" as he comes sprinting past Caelon in a blind rage the axe spinning downwards...

rage and charge angling past Caelon using him as cover to avoid the AoO as much as possible

Attack [roll0] Damage [roll1]
AC 16 currentlt HPs 42/34

Selinia
2012-08-19, 10:57 AM
Seeing her spell settling to realatively little effect, Nelia grits her teeth in frustration at the bizzarly strong will of the beast. Most feral monsters could do little to resist such a spell, but it seemed the hydra was intent enough on its prey to not particularly care. Gathering what power she still had to her, the bard reinforces the magic, trying once more to cripple the creature.

Actions:
Glitterdust [DC 17 Will Save or Blind for 4 rounds], again! Hopefully the hydra's bizarrely lucky save is expended now.

HP: 31/31
Fort: +2 | Ref: +7 | Will: +2
1st Level Spells: 5/5
2nd Level Spells: 0/2

Baxxie
2012-08-19, 12:30 PM
As soon as Gothos began to charge, Mallam brought to his lips an incantation to stike at the hydra. In a quick moment, fiery energies were brought to his fingers and, as soon as he brought his hands together, they leapt towards the hydra at the top of their speed, trying to strike it at its body.

[roll0] Touch hit.
[roll1] Fire damage to the body.

Blisstake
2012-08-19, 02:29 PM
Gothos charges toward the beat, making use of a powerful burst of heat from Mallam, arrow fire from Lanius, and a brilliant burst of magical dust from Neila to close the distance. Caelon interposes himself in front of Gothos, demanding the attention of the beast, while Gothos lobs off a head, then continues to hack away at the body. Unable to stand against this combined assault, the hyrda falls, all six head shrieking in unison.

Nice job everyone. I'll update with the exploration for the next location tomorrow, but you can still post in the meantime if you wish.

DrK
2012-08-19, 03:15 PM
As the beast collapses backwards under the heavy blow of axe, sword, arrow and fire Gothos chops twice more into the nearest skulls of the beast smiling to himself, breathing heavily as the rage leaves him shivering with adrenaline.

"Well met Caelon. You were brave to distract it like you did. Do your wounds need the gentle touch of the Lord of Iron's healing?"

Glancing back at the others he looks at both Lady Garess and Lanius; "A savage and massive creature. Do you know if it keeps trophies in its lair?" The question asked with a savage smile mostly directed at Mallam. "We would give a shair to the city Lady Garess. Never fear - I would not want to avoid our tax burden...

Baxxie
2012-08-20, 06:07 AM
"Feel free to check the river, or wherever it thrives from, Gothos. But I doubt it has anything of value. Perhaps you could also check its insides, but again I doubt it has anything of use there." said Mallam to Gothos while gazing towards the water the hydra came from.

Blisstake
2012-08-20, 10:38 PM
An immediate search of the river doesn't reveal anything of interest, though you do get to enjoy fresh-cooked fish as you set up camp for the night.

5th of Lamashan

Nothing of great import occurs this day as you continue traveling alongside the river. Eventually you come across a sturdy bridge, which you estimate could support the weight of at least a dozen men on horseback. On the opposite bank, you notice a grizzly bear clawing for the abundant fish in the river who seems quite content to let you pass as it chews on the meat of a hefty trout.

6th of Lamashan

Today you reach the east bank of the Tuskwater Lake, where your capital of Croixlight rests. You can faintly see the city's lights toward the north as you explore the Tuskwater's boundaries. At first, nothing out of the ordinary is encountered, but near the end of the day, as the dying sun rests on the surface of the lake in the horizon, Mallam spots an incomplete set of bones washed up on the surface.

As you uncover the various bones from the immediate area, a humanoid shape is formed, one about half the size of Caelon. On some of them, scraps of flesh and tendon that refuse to wash off are still attached.

Gothos
This appears to be a child's remains rather than a small-sized creature. You can't pinpoint the race, however.

Drothmal
2012-08-21, 01:34 AM
As the beast finally fell, the paladin mutters a prayer of thanks to his deity for having allowed him to protect his companions

"Well met Caelon. You were brave to distract it like you did. Do your wounds need the gentle touch of the Lord of Iron's healing?"

Thank you, my friend says the champion of Erastil as he accepts the oracle's healing (Caelon had started to marshal his powers more carefully in case the party encountered more undead creatures).

As the next two days go by, the holy warrior remains vigilant, though his mood and his confidence seem to have improved a bit

Master Metsavend asks the Councilor to the ranger as he examines the remains is there anything you can tell us about this poor creature?

Blisstake
2012-08-23, 06:20 PM
"It looks like a human child," Lanius reveals, kneeling down to get a better look, while Bilik sniffs the remains. "There are bite marks on the bones."

There is an evident look of concern across his face, as he decides not to state the obvious implications of that fact.

Drothmal
2012-08-23, 07:59 PM
The ranger's revelation renders Caelon speechless for a moment

A child?... Erastil, have mercy... the paladin stumbles for words, clearly shaken

With an effort of will, the Counselor of Arkendale collects his wits

Master Metsavend, any information on whatever creature did this would be invaluable.

My Queen, if I may be so bold, we need to return to Croixlight. I dread that something horrible has happened in our absence...

Blisstake
2012-08-23, 08:18 PM
Lanius shakes his head. "This happened before we left, but not too long ago. The state of decay implies a few weeks. Caelon... this child was eaten."

Drothmal
2012-08-23, 08:58 PM
Eaten? the paladin echoes, an trace of fury growing in his voice

Caelon forces himself to calm down. Nothing good comes from anger

Friends, calls the Champion of Erastil to his companions, please help me find the remains of this child, so we can give it a proper burial. We should still return to Croixlight and see if there are any children that have gone missing

With that, the paladin begins the search

DrK
2012-08-24, 12:28 AM
Gothos looks down at the child a look of sadness passing across his rough scarred face as memories of doing this a thousand times with small orc chidren return to him.

Leaning down he gently handles the body examining it closley to fix it in his memory as a source of rage. "We must find the creature that did this. So close to our city. Lanius - can you begin to guess what manner of creature ate this child?"

After burial he looks towards the city walls. "It a darkness has grown within the city walls then it must be excised."

Selinia
2012-08-24, 02:15 AM
Nelia raises a hand to her mouth at the ranger's revelation, closing her eyes for long moments.

"...this body is beyond identification, and too far gone for the questions of a priest. The best we can do is remember it. The soul of this child is fled, and the beasts have had their fill." Flicking her reins aside, Nelia dismounts, boots hitting the ground softly.

"Let us lay her to rest, and be gone. Sir Mikmek and Lord Kesten will tell us far more than we would learn glowering at gnawed bones and lamenting this tragic fate."

Baxxie
2012-08-24, 02:55 PM
"While it is beyond saving, it may be possible to bring flesh to its bones. I don't know for sure, but we could definitely ask a priest about it." said Mallam before taking a swig of alcohol from his canteen. "Don't take me wrong." he abruptly added to his companions. "I just thought then you could give him... her... a proper burrial." he said and took another sip of his drink.

Blisstake
2012-08-27, 12:54 PM
8th of Lamashan

After stopping to give a proper burial to the child (as proper as it could be, considering around a quarter of the remains were not uncovered) you make your way back toward the capital of Croixlight. The people seem in noticeably lower spirits than when you left a little over a week ago, but that may be due to the lack of publicity of your return. If anything serious had happened during your leave, the best place to ask would be at the castle.

"So, you want me to check if that's true or not?" As you enter the castle walls, you hear the squeaky voice of your kobold spymaster carry over.

"Right! I mean, Neila mentioned something about a man trying to rile up the people here, so we might want to verify if the troll sightings are true or not. And, well, I'm sure she wouldn't have made you the spymaster if you weren't good at your job, Sir Mikmek."

"That's... just Mikmek, thanks."

You hear an exasperated sigh from the room belonging to neither Erika nor the kobold. "Erika, are you sure you should be making these decisions while Neila is away? I didn't realize when I brought you here that she would be gone half the time."

Mikmek leaves the room, and you can see him wave to you as you approach. Erika continues speaking, "Well someone has to, and I don't think Lebeda would ever approve that on his own. Plus, that gift you got her should be a lot more useful when she's out of the kingdom rather than in it... oh! Looks, she's here right now!"

Erika gets up from her seat, interrupting her conversation with the dwarf Vorick to give Neila a quick hug. "I guess you'll be wanting your chair back?"

Drothmal
2012-08-27, 08:29 PM
Caelon had remained rather silent since the burial. Though his mood had finally improved after the battle against the hydra, the finding of a dead child had left the paladin disheartened

Lord of the Hunt, I humbly ask for your guidance in this treacherous path: I need to find a way to protect everyone. I need to become the Shield of the people of Arkendale prays the holy warrior to his God

In a flash, a memory long forgotten resurfaces in the paladin's mind: A young Caelon, learning the art of fighting from his beloved and admired elder brother.

Akiros? the though almost makes the Champion of Erastil say the name of his brother aloud.

But despite their differences and all that had happened, the elder Ismort was undoubtedly the best fighter Caelon had ever known. On top of that, Akiros knew the paladin's fighting style inside out...

Maybe he could help me.

Upon reaching Croixlight, Caelon sends word to meet with the Royal Enforcer.

Selinia
2012-08-28, 04:18 AM
Nelia returns the brief embrace with as much warmth as she can muster, letting slip one of her rare smiles as she slips out of it.

"I am afraid you will have to endure the seat for a little longer, uncomfortable though it is. This is unfortunately to be a brief visit - we are resting and resupplying, nothing more. I would prefer not to disrupt the courts by appearing and vanishing again after scant few days." Nelia lets a gloved hand rub slowly at her temples, sighing deeply. "I know I must have told you this a hundred times, but adventuring is a dreadful business, it truly is. We are making progress, but it can seem miserably slow at times."

"And yes I come back and..." A note of concern - faint, barely discernible, but definitely there - creeps into the young monarch's voice, and she glances briefly from Erika to her dwarven 'family'. "What is this business about trolls you were discussing? The General encountered a number some months ago, but if that was not an isolated incident..."

DrK
2012-08-28, 03:48 PM
Gothos enters the city, the joy of the wilds and the freedom slowly being replaced by the dull tightness of the reins of civilisation once more. Trudging through the streets he shakes his head at the tensions in the streets and the number of sad and drawn faces.

Reaching the town hall his head turns nervously to the Lady Garess at the mention of the troublemakers in the town - the cause of their harsh words but a few days ago.

THe notion of trolls however grabs his attention. "Speak more of Trolls. Have they returned. If they have Mallam, myself and my Orcish kin shall burn them out."

At the sight of Mikimek he also waves the kobold over, kneeling to speak with him, "What of men raising trouble? Are the non-humans being targetted again?"

Blisstake
2012-08-28, 04:45 PM
"Well, that's just the problem. We don't know if there actually have been more trolls or not. It could just be a rumor, malign or harmless, but it could also be a real danger, so it sounds like something worth investigating, right?" She flashes a smile at the Arkendale general, "I haven't seen any myself, but if you do come across any, maybe you should bring back a few heads to improve morale. Gross as that is."

"Well, if you're off hunting trolls, then you might want to take a gander at this," Vorick picks up a polished wooden case sitting next to him, and displays it to Neila before he opens it. Inside is a sleek metal musket, enscribed with dwarven runes symbolizing earth and unity. It is of obviously high quality, and with a hint of pride, Vorick continues, "The finest dwarven smithing and engineering. You remember how to use firearms, right Miss Garress?"

There's your +1 musket

Mikmek, in response to Gothos' query, chirps up, "You got it. This time it's kobolds though. I think most of the humans are just jealous I make more money than them. Locating the man speaking against you has been... difficult. Maybe I should make some human friends and have one sneak into a meeting."

Akiros, for once, isn't found inside the Castle's wine stores, but is instead within his chambers, writing something in a small journal. As the paladin approaches, Akiros puts down the book and quill and asks, "Something I can help you with, Caelon?"

Drothmal
2012-08-28, 06:23 PM
Caelon is pleasantly surprised to find his brother in such a... calm moment. Though curious about the journal, the younger Ismort decides to respect his brother's privacy. Thanking Erastil for his good timing, the paladin begins the difficult task of finding the words to ask his brother for help

Eh, yes... replies the usually well spoken paladin, clearly at a loss I was wondering... Maybe you could...? I wanted to ask you...

Realizing the absurdity of it all, the holy warrior laughs softly at the situation and himself.

Me knocking on your door and not knowing how to ask for you help sure brings memories, doesn't it? says the younger Ismort to the man he had grown worshiping

But I am not a kid anymore. I am the protector of these people, and I need to be able to carry my Burden thinks Caelon, reminding himself of the reason of his visit

Taking a deep breath, the Councilor of Arkendale composes himself

I need your help, brother. On our last expedition, we encountered some dangerous undead foes, and I was unable to protect my companions properly. In fact, I was not even able to keep their leader, a wight, at bay so the rest could flee.

Shame and frustration show in the paladin's features, but he continues

They almost died, Akiros. Including the Queen. I was not able to protect them. My ineptitude could have brought the whole kingdom of Arkendale down.

Caelon looks up, directly into his brother's eyes

You are the best fighter our trainers ever met. You were considered to be the kind of warrior that comes once in a generation. I know that during your time as a paladin, you saw the faults within the standard training and devised a fighting style that was unmatched when it came to defending yourself and the ones around you.

There is a moment's pause as the holy warrior prepares to ask the question he came to ask, even if he knows that this might put an unnecessary burden on his brother

I know that you left that life behind, but Arkendale and its people need you, brother. And so do I.

Will you train me?

Baxxie
2012-08-28, 07:06 PM
As the group was chatting, Mallam idly sipped from his canteen. As Gothos brought up his "hatred" for trolls once more, Mallam waited for the nearest silence. And when he got it, he interupted the conversation. "Has anyone gone missing recently? Maybe a child? I've found remains of a creature not so far from here, which my companions claim to be of a child's." he asked out loud - not directed to anyone in particular, but rather to anyone within the room that he now faced. He hoped that Mikmek would know, for he was the spymaster.

Blisstake
2012-08-29, 08:36 PM
"Caelon, as you may have noticed, I no longer use that style. It sacrifices too much of one's own personal mobility and strength in order to defend those around you. In individual situations, it's rather impractical." He lets out a hollow laugh, but doesn't finish. "On the other hand, that sounds exactly like what you wish to do. I don't recomment it, but I won't try and dissuade you. Meet me a couple paces south of the Town Hall by the lake. I'll set up some targets. Bring your armor."

"There was one case..." Erika begins, starting to look a bit uncomfortable. "Apparently a boy named Tig went missing around a week ago. He was known for going to the forests to the southwest to play, but usually he had been safe. His parents petitioned for a search party, but I couldn't honestly recommend that if there really is something dangerous in those woods."

She takes a step back, and takes a deep breath. "You... understand, right?"

Selinia
2012-08-30, 01:32 PM
Nelia lifts the weapon from Vorick's offered hand, taking care to hold the stock properly as she does so. She did indeed remember how to use firearms - and how temperamental the little engines of fire and powder could be at times.

"It has been months since I held one of these... and..." The queen take a closer look, inspecting the barrel - or barrels, rather. "And never one quite like this. I was not aware that our engineers had cracked Alkenstar's production methods for rotary guns, but I must confess 'tis a pleasant surprise." With equal caution, Nelia returns the weapon to its case. "A piece of such craftsmanship is no small token - you have my utmost thanks. Doubly so for the fact that I fear it shall all too soon see use."

"And... Erika, what you did was right. I can promise you that. Painful, but right - you likely saved the lives of many others." Nelia locks eyes, standing close enough that she had to tilt her head back slightly to properly do so with the taller girl. "We found the child's remains less than a day's ride from here. He is returned to the earth, and that is all any of us could have done." Sighing softly, Nelia takes a step back and rests her eyelids for a moment.

"But we can keep it from happening again. Send our best-liked guards around the settlement, have them remind people that the forest is dangerous. When they leave the town and outlying fields, they should do so with a work group, and never unarmed. We encountered a hydra, Erika - a hydra, just days from Croxlight. Trolls, hydras, wights..." Nelia shakes her head tiredly. "Tell me, when did we step into the very worst sort of storybook tale? I am half expecting Mikmek to find our local coven has been baking children into pies at this point."

DrK
2012-08-31, 01:06 AM
At Erika's words Gothos swiels searching for a servant. "Saddly my horse and featch Masters Black and Ismort."

He glances back to Neila, "Lady garess, we shall head down to the woods immediatly and find and slay the monster that dwells there." He glances down at the firearm - "You should bring your new toy."

Drothmal
2012-08-31, 12:01 PM
Thank you, brother. Caelon replies heartfeltedly to his brother You will not regret this

Not knowing what else to say, the holy warrior makes a small salute (an old habit from when Akiros had outranked him as a paladin) and leaves his brother's room, heading to his own chambers to ready his equipment

I will protect them all, no matter what happens to me the Champion of Erastil swears

Caelon can be found either in his room or training with Akiros. Not sure if this will delay Gothos' plan to leave right away...

Selinia
2012-09-01, 12:22 AM
"General Gothos, stay thy hand a little longer. Whatever manner of beast haunts the forests around us, it is not something to be faced without preparation." Nelia glances at Mikmek and Erika to confirm what she says next. "As I understand it, our scouts have not uncovered its lair yet. To rush off into the woods in the middle of the afternoon would be pointless without more precise directions. We should take the night to rest and prepare - I rather doubt the forest shall flee when the sun rises anew."

DrK
2012-09-01, 02:32 PM
At Lady Garess's words Gothos slowly nods in agreement. "Perhaps you are right Lady Garess. A more co-ordinated flushing out ofthe woods will be better served to force this monster to show itself."

He shouts over to the servants to stop them saddling the horses. "If you'll excuse me I shall seek out Master Ismort and Akiros to discuss the potential carnage in the forests. Also I must attend to the troops to make sure the army is stil progressing in its training regime."

And - more of an aside himself he mutters some more "Plus I need to see an Orc about a mount..."

Blisstake
2012-09-05, 08:42 PM
"All right, Caelon," Akiros says, as he points to two stuffed dummies in a roughly humanoid shape spaced a few meters apart from eachother. "I'm going to chop of their heads, and you're going to try and stop me." The older Ismort appraises the paladin's equipment, and shakes his head. "That shield isn't nearly sturdy enough. Good thing I brought a spare. Now try and stop me!"

Caelon can add a masterwork tower shield to his equipment, since you won't have any time to order a magic one from Restov. Don't count this against your money.

The two brothers train for nearly an hour when the oracle of Gorum approaches. "Ah, Gothos!" Akiros yells, "Drinks were on you this time, right?"

Around the same time Gothos leaves the meeting room, a familiar figure walks in. Kesten Garess salutes his younger relative. "Hail, Neila. Or Baroness Garess as the House would prefer I address you. There has been... another problem."

"Oh no," Erika replies with concern, "Not another troll sighting is it?"

"No. There were three deaths over the last week, and at first we attributed them to wild animals. Unfortunately, one of my men thinks that may not be the case. His name is Brohn, and he believes that despite the savage bite marks on the victims, it was actually a man who did the crime. He hasn't been wrong before about these kind of matters." Kesten's expression is serious as he addresses Neila directly. "Neila, he believes whoever did this is currently at the Three Moon Inn, a few miles outside of Croixlight. I told him to wait until I had Erika's permission to proceed, but since you've returned, Neila, I'd like to know how you suggest we proceed."

Brohn
The three victims were a barmaid, shepard (along with his flock of sheep), and a beggar, all with several bite and claw marks, suggesting a wolf or worg attack. However, you noticed humanoid footprints leading away from each scene, joining up at the Three Moon Inn. The tracks leading back are human-shaped boots.

Drothmal
2012-09-06, 05:39 PM
At first, the bulkier shield had made it almost impossible for Caelon to keep up with his brother's attacks. On top of that, every attack he managed to stop sent waves of exhaustion through the paladin's left arm (which was already burning with pain due to the extra weight)

Nonetheless, the holy warrior kept defending

After a while (and a few hits both to him and to the dummies), Caelon figured out that his best option was to use his own attacks to minimize Akiro's mobility, allowing for the paladin to reposition himself between his brother and his target. The Counselor's newfound success earned him even more blocks, increasing the pain in his arm to the point where it took all the paladin's stoicism not to call to Erastil's healing powers.

By the time the Gothos arrives and Akiros deems the instruction over, Caelon is on the verge of collapse. Still, he manages to look up to his companion and muster a smile.

With an effort, the paladin moves to face the oracle with a solemn look on his face

Gothos, I have a favor to ask of you, for I have made a decision: I will become the Shield of Arkendale. I will protect you, our companions and our people, even at the cost of my life.

But a shield can only stop an attack, it cannot neutralize the threat. To face our foes, Arkendale will also need a weapon. My friend, I have seen you in battle, I trust you with my life and thus I ask of you: Will you become the Sword of Arkendale? Can I leave the offense to you as you leave the defense to me?

DrK
2012-09-06, 11:59 PM
By the time the Gothos arrives and Akiros deems the instruction over, Caelon is on the verge of collapse. Still, he manages to look up to his companion and muster a smile.

With an effort, the paladin moves to face the oracle with a solemn look on his face

Gothos, I have a favor to ask of you, for I have made a decision: I will become the Shield of Arkendale. I will protect you, our companions and our people, even at the cost of my life.

But a shield can only stop an attack, it cannot neutralize the threat. To face our foes, Arkendale will also need a weapon. My friend, I have seen you in battle, I trust you with my life and thus I ask of you: Will you become the Sword of Arkendale? Can I leave the offense to you as you leave the defence to me?

Gothos watched quietly for a few minutes as brother trained with brother. His thoughts unusually turning to home and the rocky valleys of the holds where he had trained in much the same way before Gorum had touched him with the wasting, the visions and the skill at arms. Strand as it was this place he had helped build felt almost as much home now as the dusty red hot lands of Belzeken.

Shaking from his reverie he calls down as he approaches Caelon. Mighty Akiros. We have work to be about. Murders and monsters to slay.

He slows as he reaches them. Offering both a skin of water. At Caelons words he miss but smiles. Caelon, brother, I know you value the safety of these people. Even I, the savage orc, have come to.

Though I will not he the sword, I will be even better I shall ne the axe of Arkendale. Come, both of you. Lady Garess and Lady Erika have words for us.

As they trek into town he speaks quietly with Akiros. Once offering copies of Gorums sacred texts so that the kindred spirit of Akiros can better understand the Lord of Iron.

Selinia
2012-09-07, 05:15 PM
"We are dealing then, with a monster or a psychopath. Possibly both. If this is truly a beast of the forest, its capture is something I wish to oversee personally." Nelia nods to her cousin, taking a moment more to consider his report. "And yet... this is a battle of Croixlight. To see us as heroes may aid morale to some extent, but it is not enough. The people need to know that the Watch can protect them, and some in the Watch could use this reminder as much as any. Gather the best of your men - this Brohm, particularly, if he will come. Take only volunteers, and only those with some measure of combat experience." The young queen takes a deep breath, lost in thought as she mentally gauges the situation. Much as she hated battle, Nelia had to admit combat had taught her to think on her feet.

"Everyone - thanks to Kesten's information, we now possess a true target. Once our boldest guards have been gathered, I want this inn under watch. As swiftly and quietly as possible, yes, but the most important thing is that we leave no route for escape. Sir Metsavend can oversee this operation - few know the lands around Croixlight as well as he does. An hour before sunset, I will move in with my chartered companions, along with a core of well-armed watchmen. With luck, we will either capture our foe or drive it out to be taken down by the rest of the force."

"And... I confess it is difficult to be certain, and I may be overreacting, but distribute whatever weapons of silver and cold iron we possess. I know it is not as many as could be desired, but if my guesswork is anywhere close to truth, we will be facing something worse than a mere madman."

Blisstake
2012-09-07, 08:46 PM
"I mean no offense, Neila, but an entire troop of soldiers, plus you and your companions seems somewhat... excessive in order to aprehend a single individual, even if a dangerous one? I'll let you take Brohn, he's outiside the inn right now, but the more people we have on a task, the more difficult it will be to approach quietly."

"Maybe you could keep them by the inn in case Neila needs backup?" Erika suggests. "That way, they'll be there if needed, and if not, they'll still be able to witness the Baroness, her best men, and a member of the City Watch take out a criminal. Even if they don't participate directly, it should improve morale, and let them spread the word of the good we're doing."

Selinia
2012-09-07, 10:35 PM
Nelia sighs, burying her face in a gloved palm.

"Yes, yes it is absolutely excessive. Forgive me, I must still be on edge from that trek through the accursed wilderness. I wish for the watch to gain confidence in itself, and yet I cannot bear to let them risk this without oversight." The baroness waves her hand as if to clear the air, collecting herself once more.

"Thankfully, I have someone to steady my flights of paranoia. Erika's suggestion is sound - hold a small squad nearby to observe and potentially support, but this should be something we can accomplish ourselves. Particularly if this ranger of yours has combat skills to match his investigative ones. Send word to the others - I am ready to leave as soon as they are assembled."

Cleavon
2012-09-08, 02:11 PM
Brohn

Brohns hand bloody, he held the skin of the stag back as h is knife cut away expertly. Another of the guardsmen helped him, holding the carcass steady as he continued the skinning. Soon he was working around the ends of the beast, and then separating the skin fully. He left the other man to string the carcass up to bleed, so the meat could be portioned up.

As he left the sight of their work, he carried the skin over one shoulder. He brought it to another man, one whom would most certainly turn it into something useful. As he dusted his hands he found a pail of water and began to clean up a little, having finished his work for the moment. He had heard the leaders of Arkendale were close, and he figured they may just want to speak with him.

Drothmal
2012-09-08, 02:12 PM
The Counselor of Arkendale receives the summons from the Queen on his way back to the castle. Having been brought up to speed by Gothos on the way, the paladin asks one of the grooms to have his mount saddled in order to be able to leave on a moment's notice.

When the rest of the party reunites, Caelon (who is nonchalantly sporting a shield almost as tall as he is across his back) salutes Neila

My Queen, I have heard the news. I am ready to act upon your command

DrK
2012-09-08, 03:29 PM
Gothos arrives alongside Caelon. The sight of the door on his friend's back giving rise to a slight tusked smile. As the Lady Garess explains the situation Gothos nods smiling happily.

"Let us meet this Brohn and he can lead us to this monster. By nightfall he shall be in death's dark embrace and may the demons of the Abyss rend his soul for his crimes."

Turning to Neila he offers a short salute. "Lead on Lady Garess".

Baxxie
2012-09-08, 04:15 PM
Assuming no one specificly looked at him, Mallam drew himself slowly away from the party, sipping from his canteen of alcohol as they conversed. He had so little to say, so much to drink - and he could not help it. He was, however, ready to leave just as they are - with a canteen in his hand and alcohol pouring down his throat as a variation, of course.

Blisstake
2012-09-08, 07:28 PM
The party assembles with Kesten and a handful of guards in tow. As they form up, Kesten decides to give a formal introduction to the guardsman he had been describing earlier.

"Lady Garess, and esteemed companions, this is Brohn Rilos, our top man in our duty to protect Arkendale. He has caught quite a few criminals since his time here, and plenty citizens know him by name already. Brohn, this is Baroness Neila Garess, Councilor Caelon Ismort, General Gothos, and Magister Mallam Black. In the Queen's service is also Lanius Metsavend, who has agreed to scout out the inn ahead of us."

Cleavon
2012-09-08, 10:27 PM
Brohn

Raising his head, both hands going up through his dark hair, he turned to regard those who were approaching. He straightened up upon seeing that it was the procession he had been waiting for. He ran a hand down his chin, sizing up the various people comprising the party. They did seem to live up to the tales he had heard on his travels to Arkendale.

"Aye, honor to meet you and all. I've not been here long, but I've done what I can about here. I know a lot o' the greenbelt, and I've been lending my bow to your people here."

He crossed his arms over his chest and one hand came up to his chin thoughtfully.

"We to head off towards the inn here? I've got my things ready, and didn't pull guard duty today."

Selinia
2012-09-09, 04:02 AM
Nelia nods, tapping knuckles to chest in a brief salute.

"Indeed, that is the case. 'Tis always good to meet those who work to guard the lands. Much as I would prefer otherwise, I fear we will soon face circumstances where your bow will be an aid as welcome as your skill in tracking." The baroness rests a hand on the stock of her firearm, slung across her body and pointing dutifully towards the ground.

"We are ready. As it seems you can say the same, I see no further cause for delay. Lead on, Goodman Brohn."

DrK
2012-09-09, 05:20 AM
Gothos stifles a small smile at the relaxed and informal greetings frmo the tall ranger. He eyed the man carefully though - "Have you attended the militia training Brohn? Your face is not one that I recall?"

No matter though - the half orc muses. Gorum's will will decide if he can fight or not. If the latter Caelon will give a rousing eulogy, if the former then a good companion he will be.

That said he follows the others cheerfully fondling the great axe and looking forward to the violence that seemed iminent. "Brohn- how big is the Inn and do the tracks you found suggest 1 monster alone or one with allies?" The emphasis on allies leaving no doubt as to what he would prefer.

Baxxie
2012-09-09, 09:05 AM
Albeit being at five feet and nine inches, Mallam was the shortest male member of the group. Black, long haired, and armored in simply, yet very well-fitting, leather armor, he greeted Brohn with a simple nod.

"Feel free to lead the way, friend." he said, trying to put himself on good grounds with Brohn too, as he would with the rest of the companions previously.

Cleavon
2012-09-09, 03:12 PM
Brohn

As he strode over to gather up his bow and the pack that he carried his supplies, along with his trap making gear, he turned and gave Gothos a bit of a grin.

"I've been training a bit since I got here. Mostly self trained though so it'll be nice to learn proper militia training. Bet I can show some of your men a few tricks with the old bow here too. As far as our quarry, the tracks were all quite similar. I'd be willing to bet that it's a single target."

He slung his pack over his shoulders and secured it, then gave a light grin.

"No time like the present eh? Lets go see whats been giving your people so much trouble."

Drothmal
2012-09-10, 02:01 AM
Well met, Master Rilos says the paladin upon meeting the archer I am always in the debt of those who share the Burden of looking after the people of Arkendale. Know that my shield is always at your service

The last is added with a pat to the large shield that the holy warrior has been carrying around since his training with Akiros. With the adition of the shield, the champion of Erastil now is completely enveloped in steel, making him resemble to a small mobile fortress

Let us go before any other innocents suffer agrees the Councilor after hearing the summary of the situation and Brohn's suggestion to head in right away

With a serious voice, Caelon adds to the old and new companions

If a fight should ensue, try to stay close to me. I will do everything I can to deflect our foe's attacks

Blisstake
2012-09-11, 09:22 PM
The sun sets as Kesten gathers a few men and you make your way toward the Three Moon Inn. A forboding full moon makes its way over the horizon, doing nothing to deter the suspicion of what you are dealing with.

Immediately after you arrive, it is clear that something is wrong. The door to the two-story inn is wide open, a window at the building's side is shattered, and a trio of women with shocked expressions are standing over a figure on the ground. Their voices are quite panicked as they speak.

"How - how did this happen? Will you... be okay?"

"I heard a sudden noise, and... oh, I need to find some help!"

"Look, some men are approaching! Maybe they can help. Wait, is that the Baroness?"

The three women part as you approach, revealing Lanius stoically clutching a mangled and quite bloody leg without yelling in pain. "You were right Neila, that was a werewolf. He... he..." He gulps as the blood from his gruesome injury beings to pool up. "He caught me by surprise. Broke the windom and jumped out, landing right on me. Bit some of my leg off. I think that's... a chunk of it... over there..."

Brohn
You can see the tracks moving west into the forest. You will be able to follow it without too much difficulty

Neila
Kesten managed to procure a dozen silver arrows and bullets, as well as a masterwork silver dagger and hatchet.

Drothmal
2012-09-12, 01:29 AM
Master Metsavend! cries Caelon as he runs to his fallen companion

I... You are... begins to babble the paladin upon a sight that he had only seen in his nightmares

I have failed to protect them, again thinks the younger Ismort

With an effort of will, the holy warrior pulls himself together. There would be time for guilt later, but right now his companion needed him

Sanare! exlaims the champion of Erastil, bringing forth enough divine energy to stop Lanius' bleeding.

I am sorry I cannot do more, but my powers are not enough... Caelon mutters as an apology to the elf

Master Cress, please see that Master Metsavend is transported to a safe location the paladin says to Arkendale's Warden, though his voice sounds more like a command that a request.

The Champion of Erastil turns then to the new addition to the group. Though all that Brohn would have heard about the Councilor of the realm would suggest him to be a pious and forgiving person, when Caelon speaks to him, his voice is filled with a cold anger

Master Rilos, can you track down our foe? I pray that the Lord of the Hunt shows you his favor, for I swear I will make this beast answer for its crimes

Cleavon
2012-09-12, 02:37 AM
Brohn

Coming upon the scene, the fluid motion of the man as his bow came off his back and into his hand made it seem as if he had performed such a move a million times. He went from the smashed window to the west, and arrows knocked. That too had seemed to simply flow through the action of him fixing his eyes on the tracks and leading off west.

He went a few paces and knelt, gazing at the tracks in the moonlight. He stood and turned when Caelon addressed him, and he gave a grim nod.

"Aye M'Lord. Tracks head off into the forest here. It may be dark but the moons full and the tracks are clear. We'll find this murdering beast."

DrK
2012-09-12, 11:52 AM
Gothos watches with a hint of sadness as Caelon heals the wounds on Lanius's leg. The hint of sadness coupled with rumours he has heard of the bite of a were-creature.

"Brother Caelon. You will have to compete with me if you wish the vile beast dead as my axe already yearns for this thing's flesh."

After seeing Lanius is "safe" he'll motion Brohn. "Lead on. At least the moon will provide some good light while we hunt this great beast."

I'll draw the axe.

Drothmal
2012-09-12, 03:29 PM
Lead on responds the paladin to the ranger

Moving right next to Neila, Caelon addresses the young ruler

My Queen, stay close to me while we follow the tracks. Our foe may have another ambush in wait and Arkendale cannot afford to lose its ruler.

I will protect you the Champion of Erastil adds in a tone that does not leave much room for dissent

A small part of the holy warrior knows that telling the bard what to do is not the best way to interact with the Queen but, after seeing Lanius' wound, Caelon's sense of Duty far outweighed his diplomatic skills

Caelon will walk next to Neila and will ready an action to activate the Holy Shield ability should an enemy appear

Blisstake
2012-09-17, 08:19 PM
The man you're searching for hasn't made it too far into the forest. Thick trees obscure the path, but Brohn is still able to make out the path of unearthed dirt and blood. The path ends at a small clearing, with the full moon directly overhead in the starless sky.

Directly in the center is a beast-man, with a shaggy mane of black fur and dangerously sharp canines. The hunched were-wolf turns around as you approach, and there is a maniacal glint in his narrow amber eyes. He growls at the group, barely able to mouth together a few words.

"...am so hungry. So hungry... tired, cold. Am... sorry."

Suddenly he lets out a fierce howl. Two wolves emerge from the undergrowth at the edge of the clearing, circling in to join the fight.

1 | t | t | | | | | | |
2 | t | t | | | | | | |
3 | | | | | K | | | |
4 | | | | | | | | |
5 | W | | | | | | | |
6 | | | | G | C | | | t |
7 | | | B | N | M | | W | t |
8 | | | | | | | | |
[/table]

K is the were-wolf
W are the two wolves
t are trees at the edge

Your turn first, since you made the perception check.

Drothmal
2012-09-18, 09:31 PM
Everyone! Remain in a tight formation and let them come to us! calls Caelon to his companions I can protect you if we all remain close!

With that, the paladin begins to pray to his deity

Erastil, allow me to carry the Burden
If a life must be taken, I freely offer mine
Let me be the Shield of my companions

A low humming starts coming from the holy warrior's tower shield, followed by tiny specs of light starting to appear in the surface. In an instant, the surface starts shining as a beacon of light that draws attention to the champion of Erastil

Contego! yells Caelon, channeling forth his new defensive powers

Actions
Swift: Activate Holy Shield (+4 AC to any adjacent ally)
Standard: Ready action to 5ft step and attack any enemy that is within range after they have made their move (preferably the one we just saw transform)
[roll0]
[roll1]

Status
HP=42/42
AC= 25 (13 touch, 22 FF)
F=+10, R=+7, W=+6
CMB= +6 (5BAB+3STR-2TowerShield)
CMD= 21 (10+5BAB+3STR+3DEX)
Bastion of Good (Smite evil) = 2/2
Lay on Hands = 3/5

Holy Shield duration= 6/6 turns
Holy Shield Shield bonus = +4

Cleavon
2012-09-19, 12:16 AM
Brohn

Staying where he is, he figured that he and Gothos made a fairly good shield for the Nelia at the moment. His bow came up quickly, and his hands flashed about the familiar motions as arrows were brought to string and let loose.

Actions

Full attack on the "Wolf" at A5. Rapid shot active. Deadly Aim active.

Attack1
[roll0]

Damage1
[roll1]

Attack2
[roll2]

Damage2
[roll3]

+4 to hit and damage if the target retains its human type.

Status

HP: 45/45
AC: 19 (Touch 14 FF 15)
Fort: +7
Ref: +9
Will: +4
CMB: +6 (BAB5 +1 str)
CMD: 20

DrK
2012-09-19, 03:08 PM
Drawing up to his full height the half-Orc hefted the axe and welcomed the soft golden glow spreading out from Caelon that engulfed him. "Come forth and meet your end beast" is all he mutters as he prepares to slam the axe into the beast or its minions...

Ready an Attack against the first thing to come near me...
(screw spellcasting :smallwink:)
Readied attack against first thing to come within reach [roll0] damahe [roll1]

Status
Hps 42/42
Saves +6/2/5
CMD/AC 18 / 22+4 from Caelon = 26

Baxxie
2012-09-19, 04:59 PM
Mallam stood his ground, putting forth his left back and holding back his sword hand, readying an attack rather than entering a combat stance. His body firmly held, for that he knew if he could not put forth his sword into the approaching creature fast enough that he would get hit in this position.

Readying an attack for the beast to come with two-handed longsword.

Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

Selinia
2012-09-20, 12:57 AM
"Enough lives have been lost to this evil. I promise you, wolf, one way or another your pain shall end this night." Nelia raises her weapon swiftly, precisely. "We aim to cripple... if possible. The cursed children of the full moon have little control over their actions, and I will not see an innocent slain when they might be cured. But above all, survive. That is all." It had been some time since she had held even a mock-up of a rifle, let alone a masterpiece such as this, but firearms had a certain... elegance about them. One did not forget their heft easily, nor the fire and fury with which they spat forth retribution.

One did, however, forget the noise.

So while the verbose young monarch doubtless added something more as she pulled the trigger, her words were consumed by the snapdragon roar of her own weapon. With or without words to back them, however, several chunks of silver were soon hurtling towards the unfortunate were-beast - and at well past the speed of sound, possibly making the entire question moot in any case.

Actions:
Activate Focused Aim. Rapid Shot Full Attack against the werewolf.

Attack One To-Hit: [roll0] Vs Touch

Attack Two To-Hit: [roll2] Vs Touch
Damage: [roll3]

HP: 38/38
Fort: +4 | Ref: +9 | Will: +2

Level One Spells: 5/5
Level Two Spells: 2/2

Grit: 4/5
Pepperbox Chamber: 3/5

Blisstake
2012-09-20, 09:07 AM
Round 2

The two wolves that emerged from the thick trees attack from both sides, while the were-wolf growls, seemingly in pain, as he picks up a gleaming greataxe laying right behind him.

Two arrows fired from Brohn bury into the first wolf, but it seems unperturbed as its thick hide deflected the worst of their potential. Hungrily, it sinks its teeth into the ranger's legs, causing a nasty row of gashes before Brohn is able to kick the beast off.

The second approaches Mallam, who was prepared for the assault. Mallam scores an impressive slice across the beast's side, but the wound seems far more shallow than it should be, given the strength the magus put into his swing. Regardless, the wolf howls angrily, and bites furiously into Mallam's flesh as he gets back in position from his attack.

Neila, meanwhile, takes advantage of the were-wolf retrieving his weapon. Two shots ring clearly, and bury themselves in the cursed man's skin, cuasing him to cry out in pain in a sound halfway between a scream and a howl. He charges angrily toward the baroness, but is cut off by an enormous steel shield imposing itself between his desired target. The were-wolf swings angrily at Caelon, who manages to defelect the powerful blow, feeling harsh vibrations move up his body. Gothos takes advantage of the failed attack to score a hit with his own axe, but the were-wolf proves swift enough to dash to the side just in time.

1 | t | t | | | | | | |
2 | t | t | | | | | | |
3 | | | | | | | | |
4 | | | | | | | | |
5 | | | | | K | | | |
6 | | | | G | C | | | t |
7 | | W | B | N | M | W | | t |
8 | | | | | | | | |
[/table]

12 damage to Brohn
25 damage to Mallam

Drothmal
2012-09-20, 11:11 AM
Gothos! calls the paladin to his comrade in arms Go help Master Rhilos! I will keep the other two occupied!

With those words, the holy warrior uses his sword to sweep at the legs of the wolf that just attacked Mallam, trying to throw the beast off balance. At the same time, the champion of Erastil once again calls upon his deity, but this time, instead of using the divine power to enhance his battle prowess, Caelon uses his powers to reinforce the holy aura of protection in the area where the ax wielding werewolf threatens his companions

Actions
Move: 5ft step in any direction that will provide cover for the most allies with the Holy Shield + BodyGuard
Swift: Activate Bastion of Good against greataxe werewolf
Standard: Trip attempt on wolf that just hit Mallam

[roll=trip]1d20+9[roll] (+8CMB+1Trait+1Feat-2Shield)

Status
HP=42/42
AC= 25 (13 touch, 22 FF) (add +5 deflection bonus against target of Bastion of Good)
F=+10, R=+7, W=+6
Lay on Hands = 3/5

Holy Shield duration= 5/6 turns

Bodyguard Bonus (uses an AoO) = +2 (aid another competence bonus)
Number of AoOs/turn = 5

DrK
2012-09-20, 02:42 PM
Come on you Beast!! Gothos roars. A brief nod acknowledging the Paladin's words and he unleashes his inner Orc and the fury of the Belzken.

Stepping forwards shoulder interposing between the wolf and Brohn the axe comes a whistling down with a fury like no other...

5ft step to C6
Rage
Attack [roll0]
Damage [roll1]

AC 18 currently
HPs 50/42
Saves +8/2/5(7)
CMD 20

Cleavon
2012-09-20, 03:59 PM
Brohn

As he shook off the wolfs vicious bite, he saw Gothos approach out of the corner of his eye. As the big axe swung down at the wolf he ducked back beside Nelia and his arrows fly forth at the wolf again.

Actions

Five foot step to D8. Full attack, Rapid shot, Point Blank Shot.

Attack1
[roll0]

Damage1
[roll1]

Crit?
[roll2]

Additional Damage
[roll3]

Attack2
[roll4]

Damage2
[roll5]

Crit?
[roll6]

Additional Damage
[roll7]

Status

HP: 33/45

Baxxie
2012-09-20, 04:11 PM
Drawing from his arcane pool, Mallam tried to bring his glimmering sword down upon the wolf's body. Wielded two-handed, he gave openings in his defense perhaps, but only to put more strength into his blow.

Using arcane pool now, cause +1 damage is +1 damage.

[roll0] Attack
[roll1] Damage with Power Attack

Selinia
2012-09-21, 01:48 AM
Click-click. Half empty, rang a voice in the back of Nelia's mind - even a technological marvel such as this had limits, and she wasn't truthfully comfortable reloading in the midst of a battle as tight as this one. If it came to it, she would have to fall back on her magic.

But looking upon the Arkendale elites' ferocity in this fight, Nelia doubted that would prove necessary. It was not every day one saw a rabid beast shrink before the rage of a mere humanoid. But every day General Gothos did battle was one of them.

Actions:
Focused Aim, Rapid Shot Full Attack.

First target the werewolf. If the werewolf goes down, target the B7 wolf. If that is already down, shift shots to the F7 wolf.

Attack One To-Hit: [roll0]

Attack Two To-Hit: [roll2]

Grit: 3/5
Pepperbox Chamber: 1/5

Blisstake
2012-09-21, 09:31 PM
Round 3

The party continues their assault, as Gothos and Brohn team up on one wolf, while Mallam scores another impressive attack against the other. They still stand, quite wounded, but remaining dangerous as ever. The two frenzied beasts attempt to take down their prey before sustaining any further injuries, but find their attacks dulled by a screen of shining energy emitting from Caelon's tower shield.

Neila takes advantage of the defensive position, and takes two more shots at the now very close lycanthrope who howls in pain from the two extra holes the baroness has given him. Caelon, meanwhile, centers himself in order to defend the most of his comrades. As he does so, he forcefully repels and fierce strike from the axe-swinging werewolf, possibly meant for Arkendale's ruler.

1 | t | t | | | | | | |
2 | t | t | | | | | | |
3 | | | | | | | | |
4 | | | | | | | | |
5 | | | | | K | | | |
6 | | | G | C | | | | t |
7 | | | W | N | M | W | | t |
8 | | | | B | | | | |
[/table]

None of the enemies died, but you didn't take any damage this turn.

Cleavon
2012-09-22, 06:00 PM
Brohn

If these things weren't persistent, they weren't anything. As the wolf closed in further upon them, Brohn nimbly shucked and jived his way past the wolf. He could only hope that his well honed reflexes and skill could get him past without a nip from the wolfs jaws.

Once safely away, his bow sang out once sending an arrow flying at the creature.

Actions

Move to A8. Acrobatics check to see if I can manage not to provoke. One shot once at A8, point blank in play, deadly aim active.

Acrobatics
[roll0]

Attack
[roll1]

Damage
[roll2]

Crit?
[roll3]

Additional Damage?
[roll4]

Status

HP: 33/45

DrK
2012-09-23, 01:09 AM
Deep in the depths of his rage the orc see's nothing but the blood and the axe as he pushes forward leaping forward towards the wolf. The axe held like a lover in his calloused green fists...

Barbarians are pretty simple to play in combat :smallsmile:

Attack wolf [roll0]
Damage [roll1]

Selinia
2012-09-23, 01:54 AM
Click-click-snick. The final rounds left the chamber, these beasts displaying a resilience that was nothing short of incredible. Dropping the rifle to her side, Nelia begins gathering the latent mana in the wild clearing. Gun empty, it would fall to magic to serve as her tool for finishing this battle.

Actions:
Focused Aim. Rapid Shot Full Attack on the werewolf, yet again.

Attack One To-Hit: [roll0] vs Touch

Attack Two To-Hit: [roll2] vs Touch

With luck, Brohn and Gothos will have downed the nearest wolf by the time Nelia takes her shot, but otherwise there isn't really anywhere she could step that wouldn't provoke an AoO. If that's the case, she'll just have to count of Caelon's defense megabuffs to lend a hand.

Grit: 2/5
Pepperbox Chamber: 0/6

Baxxie
2012-09-23, 10:10 AM
Mallam, seeing the wolf injured, tried to finish it off with a clear strike on it.

[roll0] Attack
[roll1] Damage

Drothmal
2012-09-23, 01:13 PM
Caelon grunts slightly as he deflects yet another blow from the powerful lychantrope. But the paladin does not falter in his defense, for he knew that even with the powers of Erastil behind him, this foe would take advantage of even the smallest opportunity to bring down one of his precious companions.

Trying to earn the others more time, the holy warrior tries to knock his biped opponent to the floor, hoping for greater success than what he had against the wolf.

Actions
Move: 5ft step in any direction that will provide cover for the most allies with the Holy Shield + BodyGuard
Standard: Trip attempt on axe wielding werewolf

[roll0] (+8CMB+1Trait+1Feat-2Shield)

Status
HP=42/42
AC= 25 (13 touch, 22 FF) (add +5 deflection bonus against target of Bastion of Good)
F=+10, R=+7, W=+6
Bastion of Good (Smite evil) = 1/2
Lay on Hands = 3/5

Holy Shield duration= 4/6 turns

Bodyguard Bonus (uses an AoO) = +2 (aid another competence bonus)
Number of AoOs/turn = 5

Blisstake
2012-09-24, 07:43 PM
Brohn, Mallam, and Gothos take care of the two wolves attack either side of the party, while Caelon takes advantage of the were-wolf's wild swings to knock him onto his side. From there, it is a simple matter for Neila to empty her gun's chamber into the exposed creature, causing it to let out even more disturbing shrieks/howls before going quiet.

Victory!

Selinia
2012-09-25, 12:31 AM
Nelia catches her breath quickly - before anything else arises, taking a moment to eject the gun's cartridge and load a new one in its place. It took her longer than she'd have liked, but the design was intuitive and the construction smooth, even without practice. Her weapon's readiness assured, Nelia drops quickly to one knee, checking the werewolf for signs of life.

DrK
2012-09-25, 01:07 AM
As the wolf is slammed to the ground trailing blood Goths whirls to savage the rest of the enemy only to see them fall at his allies blades or in the case of the Queen the rather impressive firestick.

"Careful Lady Garess. Beware the beast who plays dead to get in one more blow." Putting words to his action he stands beside Neila resting a massive booted foot on the corpses chest to pin it to the ground as he bends to to heft up the great axe and have a look at it.

As the battle fades, as the blood cools he notices the grievious wounds on his allies and offers healing hands.

Brohn cure light [roll0]
Mallam cure moderate [roll1]

Cleavon
2012-09-25, 01:52 AM
Brohn

Readying another arrows anyway, the ranger takes a quick look about the clearing, and makes a small circuit of the immediate area. It would be rather poor form to get ambushed while observing the dead.

Perception
Giving the surrounding area a look to see if anything else is about.
[roll0]

+2 if we are indeed in a forest.

As he returned from his short jaunt and felt the healing wash over him he gave Gothos a small grin.

"My thanks...I usually just have to sew up cuts like that and hope they don't ruin my chances with the ladies."

Blisstake
2012-09-25, 01:45 PM
The were-wolf appears to still be alive, judging by a very weak pulse across his wrists and throat. He takes shallow breaths, but appears to be entirely unconscious. The coat of thick body hair and lupine features start to recede until a rough-featured man with torn clothing is what remains on the ground. With immediate medical attention, he could perhaps still live.

DrK
2012-09-27, 02:11 PM
Gothos sighs sadly as he stands. Boot on the chest of the mostly naked man he looks down and silently considers just crushing the chest the... With a look at Caelon and a heavy sigh he leans down and places a mailed fist over some of the bullet wounds and releases the healing energy of Gorum.

cast cure light on him [roll0]

Looking at the paladin he smiles a toothy smile. "You are having an unwholesome effect upon me Caleon. Soon I may even be civilised!" The joke punctuated by a glance and sly smile at Lady Garess.

Baxxie
2012-09-27, 03:28 PM
Mallam gave Gothos a quick gaze, and spoke after him. "Was about time." he simply said, showing only a very slight smile, keeping ambiguity to his words about the civilizing of Gothos.

"Back to the matter at hand... Do we have the means to at least try lifting the curse of lycanthropy?"

Drothmal
2012-09-27, 03:49 PM
Despite the powerful desire for avenging Lanius, Caelon's first instinct after the werewolf was defeated was to turn around and check for the well being of his companions.

Erastil, I thank thee for the power to protect my Community prays the paladin when he sees that everyone is safe.

Upon discovering that the foe was still alive, Caelon experiences uncertainty for a brief moment: This creature had harmed or killed many people in Arkendale. If the curse could not be reversed, more innocents could be harmed...

No one is beyond redemption. the champion of Erastil reminds himself as he begins to walk towards the fallen foe to heal him, only to find the oracle preempting him.

Gothos... Caelon says speechlessly. Realizing the magnitude of the orc's gesture, the paladin bows to his brother in arms.

Thank you. says the younger Ismort, letting the true sincerity in his tone speak more eloquently than any words.

Turning to Brothn, the paladin makes a salute at the ranger

Speaking of gratitude, master Rhilos, you certainly have earned Arkendale's. The kingdom is a safer place thanks to you

Finally, the Councilor of Arkendale addresses his ruler

My Queen, I ask for your permission to carry this man to where Father Jhod is to see if he can be cured

For now, the holy warrior decides to ignore the line of though of what would happen if there was no cure for this man...

Selinia
2012-09-28, 05:04 PM
Nelia rises, returning Gothos' smile in the form of a small, but genuine, nod of appreciation. No words needed be spoken beyond that. Instead, the baroness lets her attention fix on Caelon's more immediate question.

"Ensure he is bound properly, and keep a silver point at hand in case there is some magic at work beyond mere lycanthropy... but yes, we shall do what we can to save this unfortunate soul. Cursebreaking is a difficult practice, but ultimately requires little beyond preparation and concentration for a moderately powerful priest."

"And Goodman Rilos, you have displayed a remarkable aptitude, far surpassing that needed of a mere guardsman. I shall discuss setting a more appropriate career path for you with Warden Garess at an appropriate time, but know now that you have the thanks of Arkendale and her people."

Blisstake
2012-09-29, 12:29 PM
You treat your wounds, and stabilize the man who had just attempted to take your life. He is carried back toward the Inn where the whole mess started, where you are met with applause by captain Garess and his soldiers. Some of his men seem confused that you spared the murderer, but they say nothing, either trusting your actions as leaders or afraid to speak out. Lanius' leg appears to have been bandaged up, but he is still unable to walk on his own, which is why Kesten and one of his men support him as you treck back to Croixlight.

"I'm afraid I know little in the ways of breaking curses," Jhod says with a frown, examining the slumbering figure whose wounds have since been treated to the best of his ability. "If I remember correctly, some belladona may be able to reverse the situation, but it could be too far along for that to have any effect."

The balding high priest clutches the miniature golden bow that is his holy symbol and whispers a short prayer. He does not appear to be chanting any incantation, but instead a prayer to the god of the Hunt to give the stranger a chance for redemption.

His prayer is cut half-way in as you hear a knock on the door to the room; a guest bedroom that has just been repurposed into a makeshift infirmary. Jhod Kavken grumbles something and stands up from his kneeling position to open the door.

"I heard a curse-breaker was needed?" You can see Niska, chairwoman of the Magister council, on the opposite side, garbed in a simple grey nightdress.

"And what would you know about curses, wi- Niska," Jhod replies, attempting not to show his disdain for her.

"Enough to make you cringe, old man. Lady Garess, give me 3 days with the man, and he'll be as hairless as a pig. A preliminary glance tells me he's rather far along, but I should still be able to remove the last traces of lycanthrope. I'll also treat your elf friend, of course. Does that sound agreeable to you?"

Feel free to accept or reject her aid. Everyone can post whatever they'd like in the meantime. I'll move you guys back to exploring after a day or two.

DrK
2012-09-29, 02:12 PM
Getting back to the city Gothos is happy to help carry the prisoner though looks slightly downfallen as Jhod proves less than helpful - a glance at the axe and rueful shrug at the Paladin.

As the magister walks in Gothos pauses givig her a flat stare from his yellow eyes. Having no love for the necromancer. "If you can cure him that will be good Magister. If not then we can at least give him a merciful end."

Cleavon
2012-09-29, 04:15 PM
Brohn

Rather interested in what they can do for this person, Brohn follows the pack of leaders to the makeshift infirmary. Still leaning on his bow as he watches from beside Gothos, his ears caught every last word. Interesting what resources Arkendale had at it's disposal.

As he watched the exchange between this man Jhod and the woman who entered he noted Jhods disdain. He knew little of magic and it's workings but understood some practitioners didn't like some others. Perhaps Jhods faith and this womans weaving of the arts put them at odds. Another interesting thing to note. His stay here would obviously not be without some new things for him.

Drothmal
2012-10-01, 02:38 PM
We would be grateful for any assistance you may be able to provide, lady Niska. Specially so when it comes to master Metsavend, whose curse might be stopped at earlier stages. replies the paladin with a small bow to the witch

That being said the holy warrior continues in defense of the elder priest I would please ask you to show some more respect when addressing Father Kavken, for we have asked the same of him and everyone in Arkendale is expected to share the same Burden.

Selinia
2012-10-08, 01:19 AM
Nelia steps in with Caelon to mediate between the two frequent foes among the nation's spellcasting community.

"Lady Niska will perform her cursebreaking with the blessing of the crown. Lord Jhod, if you wish, you or your acolytes may observe the proceedings to ensure no magics are being worked beyond those of restoration and abjuration. The safe recovery of the afflicted is all that matters, and I trust this arrangement will be acceptable to all parties."

"Upon his recovery, this man will face an inquiry into his actions. But tonight, we - as he - must gather our strength anew."

Blisstake
2012-10-08, 08:42 PM
"I will show him respect when I can practice my craft in peace without the harassment of his followers, Councilor," Niska replies to Caelon.

Jhod audibly clears his throat, and looks directly at the witch. "Niska, I have made peace with our differences. I do not agree with your methods, but any quarrel I have made has been buried."

For the first time since you've seen her, Niska appears to be at a loss for words. After a brief silence, she responds, "Very well. I... apologize." The word seems almost foreign coming out of her mouth. "I shall prepare the ritual, then. You needn't worry for the man's safety. Observe if you must, priest."

"I shall trust you Niska. Suspicion will get us no where: we all carry the Burden, after all."

Blisstake
2012-10-16, 11:34 AM
Lamashan, 4710AR

You are once again ready to head off to explore the southern portion of the Greenbelt, but this time without the familiar company of Lanius. Thankfully, you are now joined by local hero Brohn Rilos, whose knowledge of the wilderness should certainly suffice.

You ford the Skunk River at its most shallow location, putting you at the west bank of the Tuskwater Lake. To the west, you can easily see the rising trees of the Greenbelt's large forest region, but the closer you are to the Tuskwater, the more marshy the environment becomes.

As you trudge across the wetlands, leaving your boots muddy, you notice a dilapidated mud-brick house resting close to the lake's edge. The house has a singe wooden door and window, and is encompassed by a rickety wooden fence and closed gate. Within the gate are two large scarecrows that have sinister faces carved into their pumpkin heads, and a single crow sits on top of the building, next to the chimney where a thin blueish strand of smoke is escaping.

DrK
2012-10-16, 02:50 PM
Leaving the city had felt good to Gothos. The confining streets and strict rule of law stifling the very nature of Gorum. He smiled as he flexed his powerful green fingers in the heavy mailed gauntlets that he had recently acquired. The magic in them swelling his already prodigious muscles further and his full plate glimmering slightly as it glowed with dull magic.
"Its good to be out Caelon. The city is too busy and lacks the adventure that drives us."

Gleefully splashing through the marshy swamp and enjoying the rotting marsh gas his yellow eyes swivel towards to the house appearing out of the marsh rushes. Squinting back at the pallid sun, "Well. Almost lunch. Wonder if the person who lives there could share with us?"

Striding towards the house, axe casually carried in his hand he shouts ahead "ware the house. Traveller approaching."

Blisstake
2012-10-16, 03:05 PM
As Gothos announces the group's presense, the elbow-height panel of wood next to the door swings open, revealing an elderly woman with stringy white hair. Her withered face appears somewhat human, but is faintly tinted green, and her ears come to a sharp point.

"This is a private residence!" she yells in a surprisingly loud voice. "Are you from that town on the other side of the lake? You shouldn't be wandering into the wilderness; it's dangerous, you know!"

As she talks, the two scarecrows seem to turn their heads to face the party.

Drothmal
2012-10-16, 03:16 PM
Gothos' excitement seems to be contagious, for Caelon smiles as he turns to his brother in arms.

Certain you are, mighty General quips the paladin As much as I hate to be away from our people, I must admit that I enjoy the simplicity of our lives when we wonder through nature in search for threats to defeat

Distracted for a second, the holy warrior does not see the oracle approaching the house

Wai... he begins to warn Gothos, hoping that the party would scout the surroundings before venturing into danger.

Realizing that it is too late for beign cautious, the paladin adresses his companions as he grabs his shield and moves to catch up with Gothos

My Queen, please check for magical auras. Master Rhilos, I would be grateful if you could provide ranged cover.

Fortunately, the paladin's fears were unfounded. Seeing that the inhabitant of the house meant the party no harm, Caelon moves his righ hand from his sword to his chest as he makes a small bow at the elderly woman

Greetings, Milady. replies the holy warrior in a clear voice I am Caelon Ismort, paladin of Erastil and Councilor of Arkendale. As you have said, we come from Croixlight, the town right beyond the river. We are on a mission of exploring the land and preventing any threats to its inhabitants.

The paladin takes a few steps towards the residence

Who are you? Is there any way we can be of assistance to you? As you have said, it is dangerous in the wilderness. If you would like you could relocate to the town, where you would be safer.

Cleavon
2012-10-16, 06:17 PM
Brohn

As they made their way through the wetlands, Brohn always seemed to find the right places to step. If it was simply that his armor didn't weigh him down as much...or if he just knew the swamp better than most, it was hard to tell.

At any rate the cuffs of his pants were not nearly so muddied as the rest. He kept his eyes sharp, taking in the surroundings of their path. He saw the little home and that bluish wisp of smoke. Strange.

He stood idle as Gothos and then Caelon addressed the strange little woman. He carefully slung his bow off his shoulder. Staying neutral, but with the bow in hand an arrow could fly at any moment. Those scarecrows were what bothered him the most. He did so hate the tricks of these strange hedge witches...if that was what they were perhaps dealing with.

Blisstake
2012-10-17, 10:05 PM
The old woman shuts the window, then opens and exits the hut's single door in order to better look over the party. "Then you aren't here to cause any trouble? Hmph, very well, you may call me Beldame." She stares at each one of you, scrutinizing your appearance and mannerisms very closely. "I have no desire to leave this home, uncomfortable though you may find it. What can the city offer an old woman like me? Security? Trade? Those are two thing I hardly desire, especially when it comes with the price of taxes and suspicious townsfolk. No, I am quite content to practice my craft, maybe teaching it to a wayward student. And since you're young and curious, you're of course going to inquire what that craft is."

She reaches into a loosely-tied linen pouch at her side, and procures a vial of a sleek green liquid. "I'm quite the talented apothecary, if I do say so myself. Only problem is these old bones get tired of gathering some of the ingredients. I grow what I can, but the Black Rattlecap seems to elude me. If you're really interested in helping me, I could use some of those; they grow south of the lake here. Perhaps I could spare a few baubles you city folk tend to find value in."

DrK
2012-10-18, 04:20 AM
At the mention of baubles the yellow eyes light up slightly and a grin spreads across his tusked face. "What sort of Baubles good lady? And where are these flowers?"

He also looks a little bit suspiciously at the spinning scarecrows.

Selinia
2012-10-19, 01:31 AM
Nelia suppresses her natural inclination to assert control and lets Caelon lead the conversation - the gregarious paladin had a way of making a good impression on the common folk, and this old hedge witch likely wouldn't care if she were Queen of Brevoy itself. Instead, she uses the early moments of the exchange to quietly scan the surrounding area for magic, and see if she could put a name to the wards. The girl honestly did not expect trouble, but the experience in the tomb had left her perhaps over-wary of potential traps.

Actions:
Use Detect Magic

Spellcraft (Identify) Check on anything enchanted: [roll0]

Blisstake
2012-10-19, 10:26 AM
Neila
Beldame seems to have a Mage Armor spell affecting her at the moment.

Responding to Gothos, the old woman responds, "I have coins, gems, and other things you folk tend to find valuable. They have no use in my alchemical creations, but they're useful if I need bargaining chips for ingredients."

Drothmal
2012-10-19, 06:49 PM
What can the city offer an old woman like me? Security? Trade? Those are two thing I hardly desire, especially when it comes with the price of taxes and suspicious townsfolk. No, I am quite content to practice my craft, maybe teaching it to a wayward student.

Hearing the old woman's response, Caelon suppresses a smile. For some reason, the Councilor found Beldame's straightforward bluntness very similar to both Niska's and the Queen's, making the paladin feel right at home with the secluded apothecary

I meant no offense, milady apologizes the holy warrior with an honest voice We have nothing but respect for your right to choose your way of life.

Just know that we have striven to make Arkendale a beacon of tolerance and understanding, a nation where no one will be judged or persecuted for their way of life as long as they do not seek to bring harm to others.

The champion of Erastil looks squarely into the old woman's eyes before continuing

So please believe me when I say that if you are ever in need of trade or protection, we will receive you with open arms and do whatever we can to help.

Realizing that he had made the situation more formal than necessary, Caelon clears his throat

But I digress. It would be an honor to help you with your ingredient gathering. the paladin says while turning to the newest addition to the party Master Rhilos, I must be honest and admit my complete lack of knowledge in herb gathering. But if you would be so king as to lend us your expertise once more, I think we can provide help to lady Beldame in finding these Black Rattlecaps she has spoken of

Cleavon
2012-10-19, 11:31 PM
c

Now leaning on his bow, watching the goings on with some interest, he found he enjoyed the way Caelon talked. He wasn't much for speaking to people he didn't know so well. Often he had to be overly cautious with strangers, given the amount of brigands and thieves in these woods. He supposed that with the place cleared out of most of them, he should be a bit more open with people.

As Caelon turned to speak to him he gave his shoulders a bit of a shrug.

"Aye, I'm sure that I could scare some up. Like she said, not too common but if she knows they sprout up there, I bet I can find them in a jiff."

He tilted his head though, and reached back to his haversack and produced a small bag.

"Best to wear gloves, and keep 'em all in one bag. Don't want anyone getting ill...they aren't the nicest of plants. Used for all manner of tinctures I've been told though."

Blisstake
2012-10-23, 09:15 AM
Agreeing to help the old recluse, she waves you off and yells, "Be careful!" before closing the door to her hut. You continue to explore along Lake Tuskwater's bank, before heading off toward the western forests once more.

The next day, the sun rises over the Tuskwater, but begins to vanish under a thick layer of trees. You again accustom yourselves to the sounds of wildlife in the environment, from the small rodents scurrying across the forest foliage, to the chirping brown birds flying from branch to branch. It is awhile until you see anything unusual: a gleaming white corpse laying on the ground in a small clearing.

Closer examination reveals the quadrepedal corpse to be that of a unicorn, albeit with a bloody forehead instead of a horn. Insects seem to have left the creature alone completely, so it is nearly impossible to gauge when the proud beast died. Even more disturbing, is that you can't find anything to indicate how the unicorn died either, as its body lacks any cuts, twists, bruises or injuries of any kind other than the evident de-horning.

You don't have much time to contemplate the creature's death, however, as Brohn's keen ears pick up the sounds of creatures moving toward you. Emerging from the clumped trees, you see three large reptillian beasts approaching from different sides. The entire length of their bodies, including the thick tail, is covered with sharp spikes of varying degrees of size. Each has a gaping mouth, filled with dagger-like teeth, and a sinister crimson glow fillstheir eyes. The beasts are squat and powerful, with strong legs that end in massive clawed feet, equally suited to digging as tearing open flesh.

Gothos, Brohn
These are hodags, creatures frequently spoken of among superstitious townsfolk, but rarely seen to the point where many doubt they even exist, not helped by the fact that they are surprisingly difficult to track. A hodag doesn't have any supernatural abilities, but they are quite formidable foes nontheless. They are classified as Magical Beasts for the purpose of favored enemy.

{table=head]~ |-A-|-B-|-C-|-D-|-E-|-F-|-G-|-H-|-I-|-J-|-K-|-L-|-M-|-N-|-O-|-P-
1 | t | t | t | | | | | t | t | | | | | | | |
2 | t | t | | | | | | | H | H | | t | t | | t | |
3 | t | t | | | | | | | H | H | | | t | t | | |
4 | | | | | | t | t | t | | | t | | t | t | | |
5 | | | | | t | t | t | | | | | | t | | | |
6 | t | | | | | | | | | | | t | t | | | |
7 | t | | | | | t | | C | M | B | | | t | | | |
8 | | H | H | | | | | G | u | N | | | | | t | |
9 | | H | H | | | | | | | t | | | | | | |
10| t | | | t | t | | | | t | t | t | | | | | |
11| | | | t | t | | | | t | t | t | | | t | t | |
12| | | | | t | t | | t | t | | | H | H | | t | |
13| t | t | | | | | | | | | t | H | H | | t | |
14| t | t | t | | | | | | | | | | | | | |
[/table]

t is a tree. You can't pass through them, but you can fire through them with a -4 to hit.
u is the unicorn body. You can step over it if you want, as difficult terrain.

H are the hodags.

You win initiative.

Drothmal
2012-10-23, 02:20 PM
We are surrounded! exclaims Caelon, without a hint of self-consciousnesses at stating the obvious.

It is imperative that we work together! continues the paladin, issuing commands as he tries to find the optimal way to protect his allies My Queen, use the tress for protection! Master Black or Master Rhilos, cover her retreat! Gothos, I leave the left flank to you!

Stepping into the middle of his allies, the holy warrior begins to pray

Erastil, allow me to carry the Burden
If a life must be taken, I freely offer mine
Let me be the Shield of my companions

As it happened against the werewolves, Erastil's divine energy begins to gather in the paladin's shield.

Contego! exclaims the Councilor or Arkendale as he channels a powerful defensive aura meant to kept his companions safe.

Everyone stay close to me! finishes the paladin as he prepares to strike any enemy that comes within range

Actions
If Mallam moves: 5ft step to I9
Swift: Activate Holy Shield

+6 shield AC to all adjacent allies

Move: Unsheathe Weapon, use Scabbard of Vigor for +2 bonus for 5 rounds
Standard: Attack any hodag that gets within range

[roll0] (5 BAB+3 STR+2 Magic+1Trait+1Feat-2 Shield)
[roll1] (3 STR+2 Magic)

If Mallam does not move: activate Sacred Shield and 5ft step in direction that would provide the AC bonus to the largest number of allies

Status
HP=42/42
AC= 27 (13 touch, 24 FF)
F=+11, R=+8, W=+7
Lay on Hands = 3/5

Holy Shield Shield bonus = +6

Bodyguard AC Bonus (uses an AoO) = +2 (aid another competence bonus)
Number of AoOs/turn = 5

DrK
2012-10-23, 02:45 PM
Gothos looks at the massive creatures and smiles a grim tusked smile. "Behind me Lady Garess. The left is secure.." his voice growing deeper and more impressive as he swells and grows higher and higher until he towers some 11ft tall with the axe taller tha Caelon or Brohn...

Cast Enlarge Person!

I hope that these beasties don't have reach!
HP 42/42
AC 21 -2 enlarge +6 Caelon = 25
Saves +6/1/5
AoO if allowed [roll]1d20+11[roll] Damage [roll0]
- An extra +1 Attack and damage if they charged

Cleavon
2012-10-23, 05:59 PM
Brohn

Gripping his bow tight as the creatures gathered around in the forest, he brought an arrow to the string. Looks like they would have to continue investigations of the unicorn later. These reptilian beasts were surely not going to wait.

Hearing Caelon shout their battle plan, he nodded and his bow sang out, a pair of arrows heading northward for the Hodag directly in front of their group.

Attack!

Rapid shot on the Hodag to the North. Point Blank Shot active.

Attack1
[roll0]

Damage1
[roll1]

Possible Crit?
[roll2]

Extra Damage1
[roll3]

Attack2
[roll4]

Damage2
[roll5]

Possible Crit?
[roll6]

Extra Damage2
[roll7]

Status

HP=45/45
AC= 19 (14 touch, 15 FF) (+6 AC if Caelon Adj.)
F=+7, R=+9, W=+4
CMB= +6 (5BAB+1STR)
CMD= 20 (10+5BAB+1STR+4DEX)

Baxxie
2012-10-26, 03:19 AM
Mallam takes a step forward to the north, to face the charging reptillian ahead. Quickly casting on himself via whispered incantations an illusion, he prepares to take the charge than rather letting it to get melee with Brohn.

5-foot step to one square north, should be I-6.

Also, I'm casting on myself Mirror Image, I guess that would be [roll0] images.

Aaaand, hopefully Caelon's shield still applies diagonally. =P

Edit: If Neila moves, I could also take her space. It is okay if I miss out Caelon's shield.

Selinia
2012-10-26, 09:50 AM
"Lord Ismort, General Gothos... hold the line." Noting the surrounding beasts warily, Nelia ducks backwards, falling into formation with her companions and taking a position near the fallen unicorn as she begins to weave a spell. Some part of her felt sad. Unicorns were not supposed to die, save in the grimmest sort of tale.

With a flick of her wrist, the queen of Arkendale completes her enchantment, filling the air around one of the bests with familiar, razor-fine motes of silver and gold...

Actions:
I am slightly confused as to the realative positions of everyone and I have roughly five minutes in which to make this post, but I think I8 is both open and adjacent to Caelon. Difficult terrain, but hooray for standard action casting! So moving there.

Also, Standard Action to cast Glitterdust (DC 17 Will Save or be Blinded) on the southeastern beastie. Before movement, obviously, so Nelia can get the line of sight to catch it in the sparkles of doom. The other monsters seem to have melee fighters good and ready to catch them, so it seems wise to me to try and avoid us having our ranger gnawed on by toothy green fellows.

Level Two Spells: 1/2

Pepperbox Chamber: 6/6

Blisstake
2012-10-26, 10:32 PM
Caelon shields the party from the approaching beasts, while Gothos increases his size to match them. Mallam applies an illusion to confuse one of the oncoming hodags, who attempts to gore an illusion, causing it to dissapate. Neila meanwhile fires a gloud of golden dust at the southern hodag, which proves startlingly resistant to the effects. It is not, however, immune to the arrow that punctures its thick hide fired by Brohn. In retaliation, it tears its teeth into the ranger's shoulder, nearly dislocating his arm before Brohn is able to escape its massive maw.

The final hodag charges straight toward Gothos. The half-orc, with his new size, is easily able to withstand the charge, no budging an inch.

2 | t | t | | | | | | | | | | t | t | | t | |
4 | | | | | | t | t | t | H | H | t | | t | t | | |
6 | t | | | | | | | | M | | | t | t | | | |
7 | t | | | | | t | G | G | C | B | | | t | | | |
8 | | | | H | H | | G | G | uN | | H | H | | | t | |
9 | | | | H | H | | | | | t | H | H | | | | |
12| | | | | t | t | | t | t | | | | | | t | |
13| t | t | | | | | | | | | t | | | | t | |
[/table]

30 damage to Brohn

Selinia
2012-10-26, 11:57 PM
"Scheiße." Nelia did not make a habit of cursing. In fact, she almost never did so. But the persistent failure of this particular brand of magic was grating on her pride - she had studied the tomes again and again, and as far as she could tell she was doing everything right! The magic, apparently, disagreed. Gritting her teeth, Nelia grips her rifle - a far less fickle weapon than her increasing unreliable spells.

"Break their encirclement! If we allow them to beset us from all sides, we shall none of us walk away from this unscathed!" Raising the pepperbox to eye level, Nelia gives the trigger a pair of quick taps, unloading bullets at nearly point-black range, even as the nearest beast took a savage bite out of the ranger. The baroness knew her shots would likely provoke retaliation as the bloody-toothed monster drew away from its prey, but she truly was not sure whether Brohn would be able to sustain another strike of that magnitude. And if they were to survive here, they would need his bow.

Actions:
Rapid Shot Full Attack with Focused Aim on the hodag that just took a bite out of Brohn! This will almost certainly provoke an AoO, but assuming the thing doesn't have combat reflexes it ought to allow Brohn to full-attack unmolested.

Attack One To-Hit: [roll0] vs Touch AC
Attack One Damage: [roll1]

Attack Two To-Hit: [roll2] vs Touch AC
Attack Two Damage: [roll3]

Pepperbox Chamber: 4/6
Grit: 4/5

DrK
2012-10-27, 12:37 AM
With a thundering crash like thunder the Hodag and Gothos slam into each other neither massive creature giving an inch. "Beware these beasts are most strong!" he calls to his allies before turning back to face the beast in front of him. "You, you I shall DESTROY!" he roars as he allows Gorum's lust for battle to overtake him. In this kind of melee better to attack than stand and die. He would let the others worry about the tactical situation. These sorts of desperate battles were what he had been born for...

Rage 5/6 rounds remaining
5ft step to the north to be in reach of two Hodag's
Attack "my" one (the Western one) and then cleave the Northern one

Attacking the Western one [roll0] (an extra 1 from indomnitable stance) Damage [roll1]

Cleave attack against the Northern one [roll2] (I take the power attack penalty on this one) damage [roll3]

HP 52/52
AC 21 -2 enlarge -2 rage - cleave +8 Caelon = 23
Saves +8/1/7
CMB/CMD +13/21

Drothmal
2012-10-27, 01:38 AM
As hard as Caelon tried to help his allies with his shield and his powers, it was impossible for the paladin to be at three fronts at the same time.

Seeing the ranger being badly wounded, the holy warrior realizes he has to prioritize the right flank

Master Rhilos, move behind me!

Without any regard for his own safety, the champion of Erastil interposes his body between the woodsman and the creature and, turning his back to the powerful foe, Caelon calls upon his deity's healing powers

Sanare!

Buffs
All adjacent allies get +8AC (6Shield, +2 competence)

Actions
As I described OOC, if Neila were to move to H8, Caelon will move to I8 with his move action (that way still providing the AC bonus to Neila, Gothos and Brohn).

If that is not possible, just move Caelon as to provoke the hodag's AoO while providing the AC bonus to the most allies

Standard: Lay on hands on Brohn
[roll0]

Status
HP=42/42
AC= 27 (13 touch, 24 FF)
F=+11, R=+8, W=+7
Lay on Hands = 2/5

Holy Shield duration= 5/6 turns

Number of AoOs/turn = 5

Cleavon
2012-10-27, 05:18 AM
Brohn

As his arrows sang out and bit into the monster, he was actually quite impressed by its size! Then as it crashed forward he tried his best to dodge that lunging bite. When it bit into his shoulder he did his nest to keep his feet. His arm holding his bow nearly failed him, but when the thing reared back he quickly stepped behind Caelon, hoping to the gods that the thing would be stupid enough to attack the immediate threat...and not have a taste for his blood.

As he watched his blood slip down his arm, he gave a grimace. Hopefully the Paladins holy presence would be enough to keep him alive during this one...he had heard of Hodags but this was his first encounter with them. He'd like to live to tell about it. When his bow sang out this time, he hoped and prayed that his arrows would at least slow the beast.

Attack!

Step back to where Caelon was (I7 I believe it was)
Full attack, Point blank shot, Rapid shot, Deadly Aim all active. AC 27 against an AoO if I provoke one. (I hope I don't. It would probably knock me unconscious.)

Attack1
[roll0]

Damage1
[roll1]

Possible Crit?
[roll2]

Extra Damage
[roll3]

Attack2
[roll4]

Damage2
[roll5]

Possible Crit?
[roll6]

Extra Damage
[roll7]

Status

HP=23/45
AC= 19 (14 touch, 15 FF) (+6 AC if Caelon Adj, +2 if Caelon has AoO left)
F=+7, R=+9, W=+4
CMB= +6 (5BAB+1STR)

Baxxie
2012-10-28, 10:08 AM
Protected by Caelon, Mallam confidently concentrates on a spell. He whispers the words of power and allows magics to gather at his hands, which he shapes into a ray of fire.

I think it doesn't matter if I cast defensively or not with Caelon's AC boost of +8. If for some reason it does not apply to me or is not actually +8, then here is my concentration roll: [roll0] (Also for if I get hit, of coures.)

[roll1] Touch attack
[roll2] Scorching ray damage

Blisstake
2012-10-30, 10:30 PM
Turning to her gun, instead of magic, Neila unloads a round of shots at the nearest hodag. The dwarven-crafted bullets pierce through the beast's thick hide, which shrugged off two arrows fired from the injured Brohn.

Caelon moves toward Brohn to provide much needed healing, but is swiped by the aggressive hodag in doing so. Thankfully, the attack is not too powerful. Gothos, on the otherhand, slices through two of the beasts, matching them quite well for size. Each swing is particularly grevious, with the north one looking in particularly bad shape after being scorched from Mallam's blast of fire.

Yet still, the beasts advance, biting, clawing, and swinging their spiky tails at the opponents nearest to them. Mallam's images are obliterated, and the magus himself takes a few wounds as well. Gothos' armor is worse for wear after his hodag's assault, but altogether his injuries are far more minor than the ones he inflicted. Despite Caelon's heavy armor, the paladin takes an absolute thrashing from the scaley attacker. The force of the hodag's blows rings through his body, but Caelon remains standing, prepared to defend his comrades.

2 | t | t | | | | | | | | | | t | t | | t | |
4 | | | | | | t | t | t | H | H | t | | t | t | | |
6 | t | | | | | | G | G | M | | | t | t | | | |
7 | t | | | | | t | G | G | B | | | | t | | | |
8 | | | | | H | H | | N | uC | | H | H | | | t | |
9 | | | | | H | H | | | | t | H | H | | | | |
12| | | | | t | t | | t | t | | | | | | t | |
13| t | t | | | | | | | | | t | | | | t | |
[/table]

Mallam's images are gone.

31 damage to Caelon
17 damage to mallam
13 damage to Gothos

DrK
2012-10-31, 01:15 AM
The axe is slick with blood and Gothos hacks at the beasts spinning around parrying with haft and his own arms revelling the violence. His armour shows some efffect of it, a gash on his thigh and one on his chest oozing dark green blood. He cares not lost in the swirling adrenaline filled red mist of battle.

"Strike them down Brother," he calls back to Caelon -unaware of the Paladin's predicament. "For Gorum" he cries again, his warcry never far from his tusekd lips as he dances to his own blood soaked tune.

Attack the northmost one and cleave into the West one
Attacking north [roll0] damage [roll1]
and then cleave to the west [roll2] damage [roll3]

Rage 4/6
HP 39/52
AC 21 -2 enlarge -2 rage - cleave +8 Caelon = 23
Saves +8/1/7
CMB/CMD +13/21

Cleavon
2012-10-31, 06:08 AM
Brohn

Seeing Caelon step up and take such a beating from the monster he grimaced. He didn't want to be hit by such a barrage, but it wasn't any better seeing a friendly companion take such hits instead. He set his mouth into a grim line and let his arrows fly at the beast in front of Caelon, wanting to destroy it and save Caelon further damage...

Attack!

Stay stationary, Point Blank, Rapid Shot, Deadly Aim. Attack the same Hodag as last round.

Attack1
[roll0]

Damage1
[roll1]

Possible Crit?
[roll2]

Extra Damage
[roll3]

Attack2
[roll4]

Damage2
[roll5]

Possible Crit?
[roll6]

Extra Damage
[roll7]

Status

HP=23/45
F=+7, R=+9, W=+4
CMB= +6 (5BAB+1STR)

Blisstake
2012-10-31, 10:22 AM
Gothos takes on the two hodags nearest to him, ending both of their lives in a bloody finish, as Brohn fires arrows into the remaining hodag's undefended eyes. It flails around a bit, before eventually succumbing to blood loss from its previous injuries.

Victory!

Loot: There's a +1 keen spear on the back of one of the hodags. I meant to mention this when they first attacked. Oops!

Drothmal
2012-11-01, 01:52 AM
Caelon's mind had threatened to shut down, blinded by the pain as the beast's attacks cut through his armor and his flesh,

Only one though kept the paladin upright

If I fall, then my companions will be in danger

With stoic resolution, the holy warrior takes a step towards the closest hodag, hoping that using his own body as a shield could give his companions a few more seconds.

The champion of Erastil was sure that he would perish, and he had accepted his fate.

But the killing blow never came.

After the beasts fall to Brohn's arrow and Gothos' axe, Caelon examines his companions for wounds. Seeing that his own were the greatest, the paladin simply turns to the ranger

Master Rhilos, your archery saved me and now I am in your debt. Do you require any more healing for your shoulder?

If Brohn accepts, Lay on hands for [roll0]. If he refuses, Caelon will use Lay on hands on himself.

Seeing the oracle's formidable side, the holy warrior smiles and jests with his brother in arms

I'm glad to see that your physical size finally caught up with your martial prowess, General. Caelon's voice takes a more serious tone That was well fought, my friend. You are indeed the ax of our kingdom.

After the battle is settled, the Councilor of Arkendale examines the situation. Though the Lord of the Hunt had no particular edicts regarding unicorns, the paladin was saddened at the loss of such majestic creature.

What could have caused this? Is there anything you can tell us about this situation, Master Rhilos?

My Queen, we should consider informing Tiressia of this event, for this creature might have been part of her Community and thus under her care

Cleavon
2012-11-01, 05:16 AM
Brohn

Shaking his head at the offer of healing, he gave Caelon a small smile.

"Oh I've probably had worse...you took quite a nasty smashing there, best you patch yourself up."

He examined the creatures for a few moments, trying to figure out what might be the best thing to take from such a beast, and decides a claw...probably one of the smaller ones. Something nice to make a necklace out of. Be a good story for the boys back at the inn.

To Caelons question, he could only shrug and rub his chin as he thought for a moment.

"Hard to say...I've never dealt with Unicorns much past reading about them and hearing tales. Safe to say any evil doers in the area would take a horn like that if they could. Paragon of goodness and all that. No telling what sort of nastiness they could do...aside from shaming the majestic creature and such."

DrK
2012-11-01, 05:31 PM
Gothos looks down at his small rents in his body and armour and grimaces ruefully. Looking down at the large hodags he grins at the much larger holes he has hacked in them.

A faint pulse of green energy and his wounds begin to close.

Me [roll0]
Cleavon if he wants it [roll1]
Caelon if he wants it [roll2]
Mallam/ Neil if neede [roll3]

Looking at his companions he offers and hand to stead Caelon. "You are wearied my friend. Will you accept the healing power of Gorum. Freely offered to all thos who fight bravely in battle. He looks around at the others and Brohn, "You too friend Brohn I see many arrows in these beasts."

He looks down at the unicorn. "A fine beast. Who would kill such and take its horn. Can you tracks it attackers?" He looks at Brohn. "Surely only a creature of evil would kill such an animal."

Blisstake
2012-11-01, 06:06 PM
Further investigation of the unicorn's corpse does not uncover any additional clues as to how the creature was slain, as there isn't a single marking on its body, other than the removed horn. No additional tracks are in the surrounding area, which suggests that there may be magic preventing the corpse from decomposing.

Detect Magic
Anyone who can cast detect magic can confirm that a necromancy effect matching Gentle Repose is surrounding the unicorn.

As such, it's impossible to tell when the unicorn perished.

Drothmal
2012-11-01, 06:12 PM
After receiving Gothos' healing and listening to the results of his companions' investigations, Caelon just shakes his head

It seems that we cannot learn anything else from this tragedy right now. We should continue on our way and inform Tiressia if we can find her. But try to keep an eye out on whoever might have caused this, for it might represent a threat to Arkendale too.

Cleavon
2012-11-01, 06:39 PM
Brohn

Perturbed by the lack of tracks and the information regarding magic concealing information about the death of the creature...he flexed his arms a bit, and worked the soreness out of his injured shoulder, thankful for the healing Gothos provided.

"I certainly don't like the idea of someone concealing their tracks about something like this. If they're covering it up then they are certainly up to no good. Lets not tarry here id we don't need to. It just doesn't feel...right."

Selinia
2012-11-03, 03:03 AM
Nelia takes a few moments to calm her blood after the battle, meticulously returning her rifle to its harness and reordering the few focuses of her spells.

"Unfortunately, Sir Brohn, things that are not right are more or less precisely what we are looking for. Whatever did this bears a heart of deepest black - even among the foulest of fey, to harm a unicorn would likely be a step too far. But Lord Ismort has the right of it - there is little we can do here. Let us press on, and beseech Lady Tiressia for the words of her court when next we meet."

With that, Nelia re-mounts, preparing to continue the journey through the wilds.

Blisstake
2012-11-03, 05:38 PM
Your expedition continues north and west, and you find yourselves on the southern end of the Skunk River. Before you had even taken down the Stag Lord, you once found yourselves on the northern end of this river, and as Lanius had pointed out previously, the abundant coachwood trees surrounding this river would make a great source of lumber for your kingdom.

It doesn't look like you are the only ones to notice this fact however.

Several freshly felled trees lie beside their stumps on the shore of the pool, their crowns dangling in the water among fading tendrils of mist. In the distance, you hear a few angry male voices, as well as a squeaky female one.

"Look, fairy, you're going to turn my men back to normal and get the hell out of here, or you're going to find yourself on the bad end of my axe!" the gruff man's voice shouts out.

The woman with the high-pitched voice counters, "Not a chance! These trees don't belong to you, and they've been unmolested here for hundreds of years. They're much better here than being some peasant's slop table!"

Approaching the voices, you see 10 men and women with axes, presumably the ones who have been logging the trees, as well as a small fairy-like creature floating in the water. With most of her body in the river, only her pale grey face is visible, which has expressive features, wide eyes, and wild green hair. Two of the loggers stand at the edge of the river, their weapons pointed threateningly at the rest of their comrades. The blank looks on their faces suggest that they have been charmed.

The apparent leader of the group quickly notices your presense and exclaims, "Look, it's Baroness Neila and the rest of her, uh, gang. Would you kindly tell this fairy to beat it, so we can get these trees over to Croixlight? My name's Corax, by the way, and I've been a bigger help to your kingdom than that small blue bitch has ever been."

"I have a name, too, you know!" the small fey cries out. "I'm Melianse... and I'm a nixie, not a fairy!"

DrK
2012-11-04, 03:31 AM
Gothos striding along leading the pony for a break axe in hand looks up at the noise and the shakes his head sadly at the arguement, "One for you master Ismort to deal with".

At the logger's tone however Gothos does grimace slightly as the man seems fairly abrasive, he barks a "request" at him. "Show respect to the Baroness, sho doesn't need to hear some River-rats tongue. Or I will give her a tongue to pickle and keep in a jar."

Leaving the others to deal with things, he's not that interested in a logging dipsute, he does ask Brohn about the fey. "Will the little flower pixie know of unicorns?"

Selinia
2012-11-05, 05:23 PM
Despite Gothos' likely astute observation that the nixie might make a useful informant, Nelia is, at the moment, rather more concerned about the diplomatic catastrophe waiting in the wings should this situation be poorly handled. Pausing only a moment to whisper a brief incantation that would coat her words in the most soothing of tones, Nelia reins in her mount and looks between the conflicting groups.

"Goodman Corax, whatever the subject of this dispute, I would greatly appreciate it if all involved would sheathe their weapons. Physical and otherwise. That goes for you as well, Melianse - I must ask you to release those currently under your spell. While I would not wish to give orders to a member of the Fair Folk, I think you will agree that this discussion will be entirely more pleasant if we do not press iron to one another's throats." Nelia made a mental note to question Erika on proper address for various fey creatures next time she was in Croixlight, but for now, a simple name would have to do.

That said, Nelia allows herself to dismount, approaching on foot with open hands. There was something to be said for height, but it was hard to mediate a dispute when you looked down upon all those involved.

"Now, if we are all willing to calm down for a few moments, I would like a proper explanation of what is going on here. From each of you, preferably." Nelia looks expectantly between the woodsman and the nixie, hoping against hope that she could sway calmer heads to prevail.

Actions:
Cast Honeyed Tongue (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/h/honeyed-tongue), which allows Nelia's diplomacy rolls to be made twice, taking the best result, for the next 40 minutes.

And to put that to use, Diplomacy Check to try and diffuse this situation a few degrees:

Diplomacy Roll One: [roll0]
Diplomacy Roll Two: [roll1]

Drothmal
2012-11-05, 05:43 PM
Immediately after his liege finished talking, Caelon (wielding his mighty shield but keeping his sword sheathed) steps in next to the bard to add his voice to a diplomatic resolution

Please do as the Baroness asks. I swear to you uppon my honor as a paladin of Erastil that no harm will come to anyone that relinquishes violence and instead chooses the road of peace

Aid another to Neila for a +2. should be an auto-success, but if a roll is required
[roll0]

Cleavon
2012-11-05, 09:57 PM
Brohn

As they came upon such a sight, Brohn at first noticed some of the men he had met at Croixlight, mostly from around the tavern. He kept quiet though, his eyes studying the fey in the water. she seemed perfectly able to protect herself with her magics...such a strange creature.

He listened to Nelia, and leaned on his bow. He could see the tension in the situation, but was perfectly comfortable with the queens ability to end this peacefully.

Blisstake
2012-11-05, 11:43 PM
"Peace cuts too much into profit margins," Corax mutters, but drops his axe anyway. He glares at Melianse, and says, "There, we've got our weapons down. Now quit using your fey magics on my men."

The nixie looks at her two charmed minions, and tentatively speaks, "Well... okay." The glazed look over the loggers' eyes vanish, and after taking a moment to give the tiny fey a nasty glare, they move back to Corax's side.

"Anyway..." Corax begins, "There isn't really much of a story to tell. We tried cutting down these trees to bring back to Croixlight. This little bi- uh, fairy, decided she didn't like that, and used some kind of spell on Trevis and Kent so that they'd fight us if we tried to cut down any more of these trees."

"I asked you to stop first!" Melianse squeaks angrily. "But you just kept on cutting. This forest isn't yours, and these trees aren't yours. They never will be, no matter how much you humans try and take this land."

Drothmal
2012-11-07, 07:23 PM
The Councilor of Arkendale listens to both parties attentively and earnestly, knowing that both parties consider their own side to be on the right. Realizing that only careful diplomacy would avoid conflict and bloodshed, Caelon takes a few moments before replying

First of all, let me express my gratitude towards your attempt at a peaceful resolution. Before I give you my opinion, I would like to explain to both parties our commitments and responsibilities to each

Lady Melianse, begins the paladin with a gentle toneas you well pointed out, these lands are not under our protection and we have no lawful recourse to dictate Master Corax's actions outside of our kingdom. At the same time, Master Corax and his crew are citizens of Arkendale, and as such we are sworn to protect them from any harm that may befall them

Before the woodcutter can make any (most likely inappropriate) victorious comments, the paladin turns his gaze at the man

Master Corax, by the same token I must remind you that Lady Melianse is not a citizen of Arkendale, and as such we cannot command her to step aside. Furthermore, let me remind you that the Fae see the forest as their own home, so you should judge their actions in the same light you would see your own when defending your house from trespassers.

The caveat explained, Caelon turns both palms updwards extends an arm towards each side in a conciliating gesture

Erastil teaches us that our Community only prospers truly when we live in harmony with the land. When we turn our backs to our roots, we risk being blinded by our own needs and forgetting who we are and where we came from.

Making eye contact with both sides, the paladin continues

Lady Melianse, Master Corax, by standing side by side we are stronger than standing alone. If both of you are willing to compromise, we can not only avoid bloodshed between our peoples: We can actually gain more if we work together.

Lady Melianse: The fair folk know this forest better than anyone. Could it be possible for you and your people to guide Master Corax and his companions towards the areas where their activities would be least disruptive? I bet there are many places along this vast forest where good timber can be harvested from already fallen trees, or even areas where some cleansing would even be beneficial to the balance of Nature. If you direct Master Corax's enterprise instead of opposing it, even a deal could be achieved on the renovation of the resources being consumed by the expansion of Croixlight.

Master Corax: Would you not want to ensure both your and your workers' safety? If you pair up with the Fae, you could obtain some very valuable scouts that could warn you of the many dangers that inhabit in these forests, such as the roaming hodags we encountered less than a day ago. And I know I don't have to point out that said safety would be even more precarious if you decided to open hostilities on the powerful magical creatures that make their home at the forest you intend to work in

The paladin lets a few moments pass by for his arguments to sink in

As I said, we have more to gain by working together than fighting against each other. Would you not take this chance for peaceful coexistence?

Blisstake
2012-11-10, 12:47 AM
"I cannot vouch for his safety outside this glade," Melianse states. It seems quite clear she wants as little to do with Corax as possible. "But the other fey understand these trees are under my protection. I wish you humans would do the same."

Corax spits on the ground. "Fine! Fine! We'll move. But you'd better be careful when you sleep, fairy."

He gives an order for his men to start moving, but he is interrupted by Melianse. "Hold on! I demand reparations for the seven trees you did manage to kill."

With a look of bewilderment, the forester responds, "I don't have no pixie dust to barter with. I said I'd leave, so bugger off!"

It's not so clear if the situation has gotten any better or not.

DrK
2012-11-10, 02:07 AM
Gothos nods and smiles as Caelon's words seem to be having a postive effect on the situation. He relaxes slightly and lets his attention drift.

The angry voices drag him back from his reverie and he snarls slightly as he see's oddely enough that the fey seems to be causing the problem this time. He strides between the fey and the foresters, massive and imposing in his armour and with his axe as lets out a terrifying roar...

Intimidate [roll0]

Spinning round with axe in hand and tusks barred. "ENOUGH!" he roars. Turning to the foresters he barks an ordr "Begone. Cut trees to the South." Waiting for them to leave he turns and glowers at the fey.

(Assuming the men leave) he stares at the waterborn fey. "Your kind do not speak with us. Your kind do not trade with us. We do not know your ways and you do not know ours. Be satisfied with their departure and plant a thrice dammned seed. More trees can grow.

Be more concenred with some mannner of beast that has slain the unicorn we found a day from here and stolen its horn."

Cleavon
2012-11-10, 02:08 AM
Brohn

His eyes go wide as Gothos begins to speak. He slings his bow over his shoulder and tries to hold a straight face. His outburst was quite the intimidating thing. He wondered how the fey would handle it.

Selinia
2012-11-10, 03:43 AM
Nelia sighs, closing her eyes for a moment, thinking. Croixlight needed wood, but she'd known this would come up in some fashion eventually.

"Melianse, no one here wishes to bear the mantle of thief. But my Councilor has neglected to mention something I find rather important to note. This timber is old. It is strong. And to those in the town we call home, it is often all that separates life from death. Yes, some measure of it will be shaped into plows and spoons, and indeed, slop tables. But most will go into strong walls, and sturdy doors to hold back the night. You must remember, these people are far from the place of their birth, and night in the forest is long and full of terrors."

"I bear no ill will towards the creatures of nature, but I think you know full well that there are forces at work whose very existence is an affront to that which you protect. Mere hours ride from here, a unicorn lies dead, its horn stolen, its life snuffed by magic of the foulest sort. There is a darkness here, in forgotten crypts and ancient curses. And unless I am very much mistaken, it is no more a friend to your people than it is to mine. The ring of axes brings me no pleasure, but with care and proper handling, wood may be gathered with little harm to the forest as a whole."

"It would be foolhardy to force cooperation between those roiling with bad blood, and so our logging efforts here will cease... for today. Corax and his team will return to Croixlight." The baroness shoots a glare at the foulmouthed woodsman. "And do not fret thy purse-strings. The crown will compensate you for the lost time and product."

"Once," Nelia again addresses the water sprite "I spoke to the Lady Tiressia herself. She granted me a piece of advice that I have held close ever since. To keep an open mind. I ask you here, Melianse, to do that very thing. We do not share your ways... but I think we have far more in common than either knows."

Nelia pauses in her speech, considering her next words very carefully.

"What would you have us give you in exchange for seven felled trees? Gold and silver? Honey and milk? Seven songs, from seven minstrels, from seven corners of the world? What then, would be the price for the hundreds more that must fall to keep my kinsmen safe? If you alone could give an answer, I would know you for a liar. If Arkendale is to survive, it must not closes its eyes. And if we are to call this forest home... we must meet with those who have done so before us."

"If you truly wish to ward these woods from harm, I make of you a humble request. Spread word among all the fair folk... nay, among all the denizens of the forest. I would meet them, as many as are willing, so that such disputes as this may be resolved without blood. A court, held for all those who would seek peace." Nelia observes the nixie carefully, attempting to gauge her reaction.

"And so for now I ask... what say you?"

Actions:
I... get the impression that this may need a roll. Here goes...

Diplomacy Check: [roll0]
Diplomacy Check: [roll1]

Blisstake
2012-11-11, 12:15 PM
Gothos' strong words silence the nixie, allowing Neila to speak to Melianse without another interruption.

Her eyes go wide as the dead unicorn is mentioned, but she continues to listen the Baroness' arguments. When asked to speak, the nixie puts a small webbed hand to her chin in thought. "I... well, all right. If you need wood, you can use this glade, but only if you replant a tree for every one felled. And no more than one in five may be taken, or I will take measure in to my own hands!"

Melianse swims toward the bank, and stands up to her full 3 feet of height to address Neila directly. Her water-drenched hair slowly drips, and where the water lands, it almost seems as if the grass grows taller. "If you wish to speak with all the fey you can, then you should probably talk to Tiressia first. She is on better terms with the other fair folk than I, and she may know more about... about the darkness hidden here. Your people aren't any more safe than the unicorn you found, but I cannot speak more of it. Tiressia's glade is a few miles west of here... please, speak with her."

Drothmal
2012-11-12, 06:46 PM
Caelon did not know what to do when the argument had broken again. Could there be no cooperation among the two peoples? The paladin refused to believe that no arrangement could be made, but it seemed as if the problem was beyond the Councilor's mediation abilities.

Fortunately, Caelon was not alone

Seeing the combined efforts of Gothos and Neila succeed where he had failed, the paladin makes a quick prayer to his deity

I thank thee, Lord of the Hunt, for giving me such worthy companions to carry the Burden with me

Once again joining the conversation, the holy warrior bows to the Fae while addressing her

Thank you, Lady Melianse. Your magnanimity will not go unappreciated

Turning to Neila, the paladin continues

With your permission, my Queen, I will go and speak to Master Corax to inform him of the arrangement. I shall coordinate with him to send a different team to this area and make sure he understands the importance of maintaining his end of the bargain.

In the midtime, you should start making way to Tiressia's glade. I will catch up as soon as I can, but I worry there is no time to lose...

Pausing for a moment, the paladin has an idea and turns to Brohn

Master Rhilos, would you care to join me? I am sure that your support would add more weight to my arguments and make this affair proceed more swiftly.

Baxxie
2012-11-13, 05:33 PM
As he has been throughout the time of diplomacy, Mallam still stays silent. Taking a swig from his canteen now, he proceeds to close the liquid container and attach it back to its place, near his waist. He then folds his arms and gives the smaller fey a simple nod, most likely going unnoticed though, and remains in the background.

Blisstake
2012-11-13, 11:47 PM
Brohn and Caelon head off toward Corax to inform him that an agreement was made with Melianse. He doesn't really seem to care, but his men, some of which Brohn has met during his stay in Arkendale, look appreciative.

They catch up to the rest of the party without incident.

Over the course of the next day, you head west, the tree formations becoming thicker with each step taken. The earth also declines, and a few pools form where the terrain is particularly uneven. It is nearly dusk until you discover any landmarks, when a surprisingly large oak comes into view (though not nearly as large as the mite-infested sycamore you encountered so long ago), accompanied by an uplifting song played on a pipe.

Seated by the tree is a familiar face. Tiressia the Dryad is cross-legged beside the tree, her autumn leaf hair slowly swaying with the wind, as she listens to the song, which you now see is played by a nearby satyr with a serious expression on his face. Despite the music, Tiressia sees you approach, smiling at your return. Even though she smiles, there is a sadness evident in her eyes.

"So you return, minus a man, elf, and weasel. This is my lover, Falchos," she says in her pleasant voice, pointing to the nearby satyr. Up close, you notice a very deep flesh wound across his bare chest. "I am pleased to see you again, and your new friends as well. Might I make a request of you?"

Drothmal
2012-11-14, 02:28 AM
Caelon makes a deep formal bow to the dryad

Lady Tiressia, it is an honor to see you once again. Indeed, much has happened since last time we have met, and I am sure that my Queen could reshape what has happened since into a fine tale and an even finer tune that would delight you.

But alas, more urgent matters had brought about this meeting. We bring woeful news, but it seems that even that must wait, for your situation seems even more dire.

Glancing at the satyr, the paladin continues

I hope I cause no offense, but I would like to offer Erastil's healing to Master Falchos, for his wound looks grave.

Straightening his back and looking directly at Tiressia, the Councilor of Arkendale adds in a a strong and sincere voice

As for your request, I swear on my honor that, if it is up to me to grant or do, I will do anything in my power to help you and your people. Tell us what you need.

If Falchos accepts healing, offer to spend up to two LoH on him

Cleavon
2012-11-14, 02:35 AM
Brohn

The trek here was much further than Brohn had ever been into these lands. The trees seemed to be so much older here. It was quite amazing, given where they were going.

He had always suspected that there were a number of fey living in these lands but to see Tiressia up close was something different. he had spied a satyr once before for just a moment. He had never thought to see one with a wound from battle. Or to be asked to do some sort of service from such a creature.

He kept quiet and listened intently...wondering what someone like this would ask.

Blisstake
2012-11-14, 01:02 PM
The satyr frowns at the request, responding, "I thank you, but no. Tiressia's healing has been sufficient."

Tiressia answers Caelon as well. "I already know the fate of your Sir Delacroix. There are few happenings in the Greenbelt that escape my attention, in fact. Normally I would be happy to share what I know with noble adventurers as yourselves, but dire times force me to hold you to my task first. I apologize."

She stands up from her sitting position, to speak with the party at eye level. "West of my glade, a vile creature has enterred the forest. It takes the form of a tree, but kills indescriminately with its razor-sharp branches. Wildlife, plants, people, and fey alike have falled to the Scythe Tree, and it left unchecked, it will arrive here and destroy my oak. If my tree dies, so do I. There is no doubt you have many questions for me, but the urgency of the situation demands I remain silent for now."

DrK
2012-11-14, 01:49 PM
Gothos gives a curt nod to the Satyr and the fey. His eyes narrowing slightly as word of this evil tree is told. A shame Tiressa that your sisters scared away the lumbers. A dozen axes would be well received no doubt.

Sensing possible displeasure from Queen and Paladin he offers. we will aid however we can. By days end this dark tree will be charcol upon the ground.

Drothmal
2012-11-14, 04:12 PM
Master Gothos speaks true. We will set off at once and do everything in our power to stop this threat. adds Caelon, appreciative of the oracle's decision of not pushing the issue with the nixie and the woodcutters.

But before we leave, please forgive my ignorance and tell us as much as you can about this Scythe Tree. Do they have any distinctive features to spot them from afar? Do they have any weaknesses we can exploit? Any detail you can provide, no matter how minuscule, may help us dispatch our common foe more quickly

After whatever information the fey can provide has been shared, Caelon grabs the trusted shield that has been helping him keep his companions safe, bids Tiressia farewell and begins walking westward with a resolved look on his face

Blisstake
2012-11-16, 09:09 PM
Tiressia shakes her head sadly, "Unfortunately, no. It appears just as any other tree until it decides to attack. While idle, its branches are thin and seemingly harmless. You should keep your eyes out for any unnatural movement, though I fear it shall encounter you first. I salute your bravery if you still wish to aid me."

You rest near the dryad's glad, and head westward early next morning. The trees are thick and plentiful as you carry on, yet signs of destruction can be seen about. Toppled trees, bloody animal remains, and dying plants show that something is clearly amiss deep in these woods.

Suddenly, one of the cedar trees that you are walking toward swings one of its lengthy branches toward Caelon. The paladin's armor protects him from the blow's potential, but he is rattled from the visciousness of the attack. Turning toward your enemy, you see the cedar tree uproot itself, and its many branches become curved and sharp, not unlike a scythe's blade. This is surely the Scythe Tree that Tiressia implored you to remove.

1 | t | t | t | t | t | t | | | | t | t | | | | | |
2 | t | t | t | t | t | t | | | | t | t | | | | | |
3 | | | t | t | t | | | | | | | | t | t | | |
4 | | | | | | | | | | | | | t | t | | |
5 | | | | | | | | | | | | | | t | | |
6 | | | t | t | | | | S | S | S | | | | | | |
7 | | | t | t | | | | S | S | S | | | t | t | | |
8 | | t | t | | | | | S | S | S | | | t | t | t | |
9 | | t | t | | | | | | | | | | | t | t | |
10| | | | | | | t | t | | | | | | | | |
11| | | | t | t | | t | t | | | C | M | B | | | |
12| | | | t | t | | t | t | | | G | | N | | | |
13| | | | | | | | t | | | t | t | | | | t |
14| | | | | | | | | | | t | t | | | | t |
[/table]

17 damage to Caelon.
S is the scythe tree
t are individual trees or a section of a larger tree. Unpassable.
The Scythe Three has 15 foot reach

Drothmal
2012-11-16, 10:11 PM
Everyone, fall back! commands the paladin to his companions

I will keep this monstrosity at bay while you prepare the counterattack! declares the holy warrior.

Ignoring the trickle of blood that had been running across the side of his face after the Scythe Tree's first attack, Caelon calls for Erastil's powers

Praesidium! yells the Councilor of Arkendale as another powerful divine aura begins to radiate from his armor and shield

Protected by his deity, the paladin unsheathes his weapon and boldly charges against the massive foe

Actions
Swift: Activate Bastion of Good (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/paladin/archetypes/paizo---paladin-archetypes/sacred-shield)

Caelon receives CHA+1 Deflection bonus (for a +4)
Allies within 10ft of Caelon take only half damage

Full Round: Charge (provokes AoO, unsheathe weapon with +3 bonus for 3 rounds)
[roll0] (5 BAB+3 STR+3 Magic+1Trait+1Feat-2 Shield + 2 Charge)
[roll1](3STR+3Magic)

Status
HP=25/42
AC= 29 (15 touch, 28 FF) - Accounts for Charging
F=+11, R=+8, W=+7
Bastion of Good (Smite evil) = 1/2
Lay on Hands = 5/5

Number of AoOs/turn = 5

DrK
2012-11-17, 01:36 AM
Gothos pauses in the act of retreating. How could he retreat when his companion's blood was feeding the roots of this monstrous tree. It would not do and Gorum would never forgive him.

With a quick "Woodsman, keep the Lady garess safe and distant from this thing".

Before he took a deep breath and hurled himself forward, heavy gaulntles tearing up thick leaf mulch as he ran at the Tree throwing himself into a battle rage...

Change of Plan as Caelon seems to be in a very bad way.

AC 19 + Caelon bonus
HP 52/42
Saves +8/2/7
CMD 19
Rage 5/6

Attack [roll0]
Damage [roll1]

Sigh. An extra 47 damage if the crappy roll of 20 confirms.

Selinia
2012-11-17, 03:39 AM
Nelia raises and arms her rifle as Gothos charges into the fray, sparing a moment to nod to the ranger.

"If you are wondering, that would likely be best accomplished by riddling yon monstrosity with injuries until it can hurt no one else. Eager as I sure you am to air out your innards once more, I advise leaving the actual defending to those who have covered themselves in metal shells." Taking her own advice, Nelia finishes aligning her shot and gives the trigger a pair of measured taps, complimenting the thunk of axe on wood with the fiery snaps of rifle shots.

Actions:
Five-Foot-Step to L11, if Mallam moves to the frontlines and vacates it. This should, I think, put Nelia within Bastion of Good range of Caelon, which is... probably a fair bit safer than running away, even. And saves on movement.

Afterwards, standard procedure - activate Focused Aim, Rapid Shot Full Attack.

Attack One To-Hit: [roll0] Vs Touch AC

Attack One To-Hit: [roll2] Vs Touch AC

Status.

Pepperbox Chamber: 4/6
Grit: 3/5

Cleavon
2012-11-17, 05:11 AM
Brohn

His eyes opened a bit wide when the tree swiped at Caelon. He had been thinking about what this thing could possibly do to hide itself so well. He hadn't even begun to get a glimpse at it before it moved. So quick and deadly it seemed.

He heard Gothos and gave a grim nod. It did seem rather important to get this thing taken care of quickly. It was amazing to see the two men charge in against those slashing branches. They would have surely cut Brohn to ribbons.

Instead he ducked to the side against a tree and fired off a volley of Arrows into the thing.

Actions
Five foot step to N,10. Full attack, Rapid Shot, Deadly Aim active, Point Blank Shot active.

Attack1
[roll0]

Damage1
[roll1]

Possible Crit?
[roll2]

Extra Damage
[roll3]

Attack2
[roll4]

Damage2
[roll5]

Possible Crit?
[roll6]

Extra Damage
[roll7]

Status

HP=45/45
F=+7, R=+9, W=+4
CMB= +6 (5BAB+1STR)

Baxxie
2012-11-17, 05:24 PM
As the gnarled talons of the tree came down upon Caelon, startled, Mallam leapt in his spot. However, knowing the urgency to take down this creature, and seeing Gothos charge in to distract the creature, so did Mallam move closer to it. While running to its flank, he surely would have blasted a fiery ray towards its bark.

[roll0] Touch Attack
[roll1] Scorching Ray damage

Move to K6, where I may be able to provide flank depending on where Caelon and Gothos are standing at.

Blisstake
2012-11-17, 06:56 PM
Caelon charges into the fray, sword at the ready. Unfortunately, it takes a while to get past the far reaching branches of the Scythe Tree, giving the plant several opportunities to strike the champion of Erastil. While it is distracted, however Gothos readies his axe and jumps into the fray right after Caelon. His axe slams into the body of the twisted black tree, much like a lumberjack would do to fell an ordinary tree. It makes no sound as the axe buries into its bark, but its branches jerk and twist, almost as if in pain.

Mallam, Neila, and Brohn offer ranged support, staying behind the more heavily armored warriors. An errant branch strikes Mallam across the face as he casts, dealing no significant damage, but causing his spell to shoot wide. Neila and Brohn unleash their bullets and arrows respectively, but only Neila's seem to make any impact on the Scythe Tree, though both would have undoubtedly been more effective against a living target.

Possibly in response to the powerful chopping, the tree's sharp branches surround Gothos, attempting to prevent the half-orc's assault. Caelon, however, intercedes, blocking one attack, and taking a hit meant for the oracle. This proves one attack too much for the paladin, and he falls to the ground, his blood slowly pooling into the dirt below.

1 | t | t | t | t | t | t | | | | t | t | | | | | |
2 | t | t | t | t | t | t | | | | t | t | | | | | |
3 | | | t | t | t | | | | | | | | t | t | | |
4 | | | | | | | | | | | | | t | t | | |
5 | | | | | | | | | | | | | | t | | |
6 | | | t | t | | | | S | S | S | M | | | | | |
7 | | | t | t | | | | S | S | S | | | t | t | | |
8 | | t | t | | | | | S | S | S | | | t | t | t | |
9 | | t | t | | | | | G | | C | | | | t | t | |
10| | | | | | | t | t | | | | | | B | | |
11| | | | t | t | | t | t | | | | N | | | | |
12| | | | t | t | | t | t | | | | | | | | |
13| | | | | | | | t | | | t | t | | | | t |
14| | | | | | | | | | | t | t | | | | t |
[/table]

Caelon takes 18 from the Opportunity attack, then 9 from the damage this turn. That puts him at -2

11 damage to Gothos (The rules are unclear whether Smite/Bastion of Good still work if the paladin is unconscious, but I really don't want to give enemies incentives to attack unconscious party members instead of ones with positive hit points!)

I put Gothos where he is so he can 5 foot step for flanking next turn if he wants

DrK
2012-11-19, 04:22 PM
The half Orc in his fury does not even notice the Paladin falling so lost in the battle rage that Gorum has blessed him with. Ducking sideways to avoid a larger branch he hews wordlessly, snarling a silent scream of rage...

5ft step to the left
Attack [roll0] Damage [roll1]

AC 21 + Caelon bonus
HP 43/42
Saves +8/2/7
CMD 19
Rage 4/6

Cleavon
2012-11-19, 04:31 PM
Brohn

His eyes wide as he sees Caelon go down. There is little chance to get the man out from the branches with the evil tree still flailing it's scythe like branches. He grimaced and knocked another arrow, hoping to get better purchase for his shots this time. They had to bring this thing down quickly.

Attack!

Full attack, Rapid Shot, Deadly Aim active, Point Blank Shot active.

Attack1
[roll0]

Damage1
[roll1]

Possible Crit?
[roll2]

Extra Damage
[roll3]

Attack2
[roll4]

Damage2
[roll5]

Possible Crit?
[roll6]

Extra Damage
[roll7]

Status!

HP=45/45
F=+7, R=+9, W=+4
CMB= +6 (5BAB+1STR)

Baxxie
2012-11-20, 12:32 PM
Mallam quickly concentrated on a spell, enchanting his sword briefly with it. Indeed, the jolt of energy that glistened about his sword would discharge upon hit, although the fire would stay for a little more; nevertheless, though, now they striked together as Mallam swang his sword two-handedly into the enemy.

Adding Flaming enhancement for a minute and Shocking Grasp spell for an attack to my sword.

[roll0] Sword attack
[roll1] Fire damage
[roll2] Electricity damage
[roll3] Slashing damage

Selinia
2012-11-21, 03:02 AM
Nelia says nothing upon seeing the paladin fall.

She simply lines up her aim once more.

And fires.

Actions:
Rapid Shot Full Attack, activate Focused Aim.

Attack One To-Hit: [roll0] vs Touch AC

Attack Two To-Hit: [roll2] vs Touch AC

Pepperbox Chamber: 2/6
Grit: 2/5

Blisstake
2012-11-21, 05:35 PM
Despite the party losing their defender, they press on, furiously attacking the demonic tree. Arrows and bullets fly into its trunk, while a pair of attacks from Mallam and Gothos bury deep into its bark. The Scythe Tree looks almost ready to counter-attack, but its branches go limp, and their sharpness dulls. Whatever manner of creature you fought, it is surely defeated now.

Gothos helps Caelon recover, who is brought back to consciousness. Meanwhile, Mallam and Brohn search the roots of the tree, to uncover a small horde of treasures and a number of animal and humanoid bones.

Loot!

500gp worth of gems
1000gp in coins
Mundane quiver filled with 4 magic arrows:
1 Greater Sleep Arrow (as Sleep Arrow, but DC 16 will save)
1 Arrow of Detonation (casts Fireball in area around target. 5d6 fire damage, DC 14 reflex)
1 +2 Fiery Burst Arrow
1 +2 Magical Beast Slayer Arrow
Potion of Bear's Endurance
Silent Minor Metamagic Rod
Golden ring, with a strand of green hair tied around. It is a Ring of Counterpselling with Dominate Person stored inside.
Cloak of Resistance +2

Ruined Spell Component Pouch
Ruined Spellbook

Drothmal
2012-11-21, 06:00 PM
Caelon opens his eyes to find himself lying on his back. The last thing he remembered was intercepting a blow meant for Gothos...

Remembering the battle and the dangerous foe, the paladin pushes himself upright and begins searching for his shield. After a few frantic moments, the champion of Erastil realizes that the battle is over.

Is everyone safe? says the holy warrior while checking on his companions. Realizing that is the case, Caelon thanks his patron deity in a silent prayer.

My Queen the paladin says to the bard I apologize for my behavior. Even though I meant to protect our party, my rash actions only brought more danger to everyone. I shall be more careful from now on

Turning to Gothos and Mallam, Caelon adds

I guess I should have listened to Akiros when he said that I would not be able to round around freely with such a large shield. Thank you both for coming to my aid in my time of need

Looking at the treasures found, Caelon lifts the Quiver and offers it to Brohn

Master Rhilos, your mastery with the bow has been invaluable so far. These arrows surely will be best used by someone with your skill. May Erastil guide your aim.

Once all the treasures are stashed away, Caelon proposes the next step of action

We should return to Tiressia's grove at once. It would be unkind of us to let her keep worrying for her life and I worry that the dark events that brought us to her in the first place will not give us time to spare.

Cleavon
2012-11-22, 01:08 PM
Brohn

As the thing ceased its movements, Brohn figured it was not a moment too soon. He slung his bow and surveyed the area to make sure nothing had caught onto their little fray, or if this thing had any sort of allies.

When he was sure they were all right, and Caelon was once again awake and moving he went with Mallam to unearth the trove buried under the roots. As they took stock of it he smiled.

"I've seen some ugly trees in the greenbelt, but this one takes the cake. At least time was kind to the stuff we found."

Baxxie
2012-11-23, 05:22 AM
After the death of the tree, Mallam brought a gloved hand to his bleeding face. A sharp cut across his left cheek was causing the bleeding and he dared not touch out - although he held his head just about there. As Caelon addressed him, he simply gave a nod and did not say anything.

DrK
2012-11-23, 05:03 PM
The half-Orc hands Caelon the heavy shield. "You were unlucky Brother. You should have let the angry tree land the blow on me. I am bigger than you..." he claps Caelon on the shoulder with a strong blow.

"Nice to see that it has carried its treasures with it." He grins tuskily as the magic items glimmer in his magicaly enhanced vision.

"We should let the good Lady Tiressa know of this dark tree's demise. But there may be other things amiss in our lands. We still have not found the nature of the creature that slayed the unicorn."

Can I be cheeky and ask if anyone has called shotgun on the Cloak? :smallwink:

Blisstake
2012-11-25, 01:22 AM
You sleep for the night, recovering your injuries and preparing for tomorrow's return to Tiressia's glade. While the horror that is the Scythe Tree has been defeated, the destruction it caused in the forest remains, leaving a somber note to your triumphant victory.

When you awaken, you return to the East toward the rising sun, in order to inform the dryad of your victory. You find the fey beauty once again sitting by her tree, whose verdant green eyes sparkle as they see you approach. Her companion Falchos sits beside her, his wound still not fully recovered.

"I thank the Eldest for your return. I feared I had sent you good men to your demise, though you yet stand before me. There is little that I have to reward you with, but I shall answer any questions you have. 'Tis far less than you are owed."

Drothmal
2012-11-25, 02:13 AM
Lady Tiressia, you owe us no debt. replies Caelon while making a bow to the dryad The Scythe Tree was an enemy to both of our peoples, and it is our Duty to protect these lands and their inhabitants from any dangers that may threaten them.

In fact,it might be us who owe you thanks: continues the paladin with a solemn tone If it was not for your warning and guidance we would not have been able to prevent further loss of life.

Nonetheless, says the the champion of Erastil as he resumes a more upright position as much as we would rather not take advantage of your generous offer, the dire events that led us to seek you in the first place demand that we do so.

The most urgent matter is that, less than three days ago while exploring the forests to the west of your grove, we came across the corpse of a dead unicorn. What made this tragic finding so bleak is that its horn had been removed, an unnatural act that makes us fear dark sorcery is afoot.

Milady Tiressia, so in tune with the magical creatures that call this forests their home, probably knows about this already. Hence we have come to you for ask you if you know who might be behind such foul act, what could they be after and if there is anything we can do to prevent any tragedies to this land.

Once the matter of the unicorn is settled, the Councilor continues with other business that may affect Arkendale

Lady Tiressia, as you are also probably aware, some of the citizens of our kingdom have begun lumbering efforts in the nearby forests. On our way here, we had to mediate on this matter between Lady Melianse and one of our subjects. Thankfully, we were able to resolve that conflict without bloodshed, but we would like to make sure that such threat to our people's cooperation and coexistence never takes place again.

For peace to flourish, my Queen has proposed to hold a gathering where all the creatures of the forest looking for coexistence may bring their grievances and concerns to us so that peaceful negotiations can take place.

Would you be willing to spread our offering to the other Fae and vouch for our good intentions?

Blisstake
2012-11-25, 07:18 AM
Tiressia frowns as she hears Caelon describe the demise of the unicorn. "It's horn was removed? That is not unnatural nor sorcery: 'tis no more than poaching."

Falchos clears his throat and interrupts. "Unicorns are not easy prey, my love. The hunter would either have to be skilled in the extreme, or not a mortal."

"Too true, dear," Tiressia responds with a sigh. "To clear that which may cloud your minds, the unicorns are not fey. Nay, they are far too pure for that distinction; and by many of us the majestic beasts are resented. I had asked you this when we first met, yet you did not deign to answer me, Neila Garess. Why do you suppose these lands have never been successfully colonized before?"

I'm not going to have her respond to Caelon's second question until this is resolved.

Selinia
2012-11-26, 02:05 AM
Nelia lets Caleon give the initial presentation, wishing to hold back for at least a moment to try and gauge the dryad's responses. But when addressed directly, there was no recourse but to respond in kind. The queen pauses a long moment before replying, constructing an answer from every shred of knowledge she and her companions have accumulated.

"I did not answer then... because I did not know. I have read theories, certainly. It would be foolish to attempt such an endeavor as this without study. But knowing was not possible. Now, I still do not know. But... I think I can guess." Nelia pauses a moment more, absently straightening a strand of hair knocked loose in the earlier battle.

"I had thought, at first, that these lands were simply too hostile to colonize. The likes of trolls, hydras, and indeed, even the fey - these have no love for humans, or our works. But were it simply that, the settlements would not have failed. Those attempts were led by great men and women, no less than our own. Their walls, just as high, if not higher. Their armies, stronger than anything we can yet muster. But against the wild alone, we stand - and they fell. The Stag Lord, in his madness, stood, and they fell." Nelia shakes her head gently for a moment, recalling the struggle to end the mad king's reign.

"I think that our predecessors suffered nor from a lack of courage, or a lack of strength... but from a lack of understanding. There is something in these lands darker and more insidious than monstrous fury or fey mischief. I have been here a scant few months, and I can feel it even so. Unhallowed crypts and pits of torture and malice. The curse of the moon striking among my people like a malicious brand. Even the bandits felt it - from their writings, it seemed that some among them were driven to near-madness by the looming threat."

"I still do not know what my people face, I will confess that. But I know it to be something old, and something terrible, and something that is actively working to bring us to ruin. Others have faced it with spell and steel alone, and they have failed. There is a saying that the mightiest fortress means nothing if built upon mud. This land is full of threats... and unless my people are shown where to stand, I fear we shall surely sink."

"That is why I come to you, Lady Tiressia. As Lord Ismort has stated, I wish to speak with the fey - as many as will listen. I admit, I ask much. I ask for an understanding of the needs of those who fly my banner. I ask for the knowledge to survive against the threats the wild marshals against us. I ask, if not for alliance, than for friendship between our peoples. And I have only one thing to offer in return." Nelia folds an arm across her chest and gives a formal bow.

"Whatever plagues these lands will be brought to an end. I swear as such by the roots of the mountains, and the endless reaches of the sky. It is an oath upon which the lives of every man, woman, and child in my kingdom is staked. If I am made a liar, I shall be a dead one."

The young queen rises slowly, not breaking eye contact as she awaits the dryad's response.

Blisstake
2012-11-26, 12:29 PM
"Very perceptive, Neila," Tiressia responds with a nod and a smile. "I know only whispers of what you may face, but I shall relay what little I know, so that you are all the more prepared."

As if on cue, Falchos begins to play a slow, haunting tune on his pipes. "They say her love was a weapon, one which with she was quite skilled. Sharper than any sword, she used her love to kill countless of her own kind, but her actions did not go unnoticed. The Eldest, lords of the Fey, punished her by stripping her of this dangerous love, and hid it within the lands of the mortals, where she was then forbidden from ever stepping foot."

There is a long pause before the dryad continues. "I know not her name, but she is said to be extraordinarily beatiful and clever. And yet, she has a heart that now only has the capacity to hate. 'Tis fortunate that she cannot enter these lands herself though she has... ways of exerting control, both through her minions, and through your dreams."

Falchos finishing playing his pipes, and sits down next to Tiressia's oak while she continues speaking with you. "Make of that what you will. I shall meet with you, Neila Garess, and send the word to those who might heed your words. Many of the Fey resent you kind, and may believe that because these lands have not been claimed in the past, that they may not be claimed ever. Time shall be the only judge, but you shall have an audience, even if only myself."

DrK
2012-11-26, 04:21 PM
Throughout the exchange Gothos watches and listens, content to merely be part of a grand quest. As Tiressa explains he asks respectfully "Lady Fey. Where would this fey enemy lair? That we may head forth and destroy her to break the curse laid upon the land."

Cleavon
2012-11-26, 07:19 PM
Brohn

Once back in Tiressias audience, Brohn leaned upon his bow and listened as carefully as ever before. He had always felt that there was something strange afoot in these untamed lands, but the words that flowed from the Queen and then the Dryad were quite interesting. He had never thought it was something so mythical.

He grinned when Gothos went with his first instinct, and asked for a direct route to the enemy, all the better to bring axe to face. Gothos certainly did have a way with dealing with things. So far it had been an effective way too. He chose to speak up a bit anyway though. He looked up to Gothos for a moment.

"Might not be as easy as that...I remember stories from when I was a lad..usually have to go find a magical trinket or two before you can bring them to the justice of steel. I know it's our reality...but it does all ring nicely of a good bards tale."

Blisstake
2012-11-26, 08:55 PM
To Brohn's observation, Tiressia smiles. "Yes, matters with the fey are rarely so simple. That is why 'fairy tales' as you call them are associated with us. But I know only what I heard from rumors many, many years ago, and sadly I know not of her weakness. Her location is not one that could not be found by travelling north, south, east, nor west. If she resides anywhere, then it is in the home of the fey: The First World, the canvas upon which Golarion is painted."

Drothmal
2012-11-27, 01:46 AM
Caelon, who had remained silent in deference to his liege and his companions, frowns pensively as he hears the dryad's tale.

Lady Tiressia, is there anything we can do to oppose this evil? says the paladin with concern in his voice I dread the thought of not being able to do anything to protect our peoples except for reacting to this creatures attacks. Do you know of any ways of weakening her hold of this land? Surely you must know...

Caelon stops suddenly, realizing that he was demanding too much from their host

My apologies, milady, says the paladin while bowing once again I do not mean to offend. It was only my desire to protect that moved me so, but still I must apologize: You are sharing with us all your knowledge, and for that we are grateful to you. I am sure if you did know of a way to oppose such malice you would have already told us.

As he finishes his apology, an idea takes hold of the champion of Erastil

At the risk of repeating Master Rhilos' "fairy tale" theory adds the holy warrior as a smile cannot help but make its way into the usually dignified visage Do you know of any other beings that might be able to teach us how to oppose this threat to our lands?

Blisstake
2012-12-02, 01:10 AM
"Would that I did, Caelon. My only advice is to carry on as you have been. I shall be in contact with you shortly."

Now armed with vague (and cryptic) information of what enemy may be opposing your travels, you continue travelling to the south, ready to explore any further dangers that threaten Arkendale.

To no one's surprise, the forest proves quite expansive, and is untamed as usual. The further east you travel, the more wildlife you notice, suggesting that most animals were eager to escape the domain of the Scythe Tree you recently had slain. Though at first it seems the wildlife is all that inhabits this region, you start to hear approaching footprints late afternoon. An old human man wearing aged leather armor emerges from behind a thick willow, walking toward you with a stagger, as if he were intoxicated. The man is tall, and has good posture for his age, and boasts an impressive grey beard that reaches down to his chest.

There are a few aspects about the man, however, that suggest he is not quite right in the head. First, behind him follows a large puma with a coat of fair fur. Its steps are quiet, and growls threateningly when it sees you. Second, the man wears a string around his neck, which ties across a severed ring finger (which is upsettingly well-preserved) that rests on his chest.

"Oooooh, travellers," he rambles in a raspy voice, "I thought I heard something... more. More than what I know, they speak, but rarely they appear. Do they speak too, I wonder? Yes, speak to me travellers, speak so that the voices are silent."

Neila
You recall that Bokken the Hermit was missing a ring finger.

DrK
2012-12-02, 02:31 AM
Gothos advances towards the man stopping him coming too close to the others as he looks "strange". "Ho Traveler. Do you need aid of some kind. You seem a little troubled. Why is this savage beast trailing you. Beware, if it attack we will not hold back."

The words "a tad grumpy" didn't really seem lke Gothos :smallsmile:

Drothmal
2012-12-02, 02:55 AM
Mirroring the oracle's moves, Caelon also approaches the strange man, his shield ready to defend his companions. Though the paladin still believed that there was good in everyone, too many fights had taken recently for the Champion of Erastil not to take such precautions. Besides, the traveler's mention of unseen strange voices troubled the holy warrior in light of Tiressia's revelations.

After letting his companion speak his piece, Caelon tries to help by playing the carrot to Gotho's stick with a more diplomcatic approach

Well met, good sir. We have not much to offer in means of food and supplies, but whatever we have we are willing to share. Would you tell us your name and what do these voices that ail you say?

Cleavon
2012-12-02, 04:06 AM
Brohn

As the strange man comes forward, Brohn gives him a wary eye. Many of the people that wander the forest for any amount of time and live to tell about it are strange, and often dangerous characters.

He noticed the Puma immediately though, and hearing the low growls, he shrugged his shoulders and took an easy stance. He crouched down and looked at the creature for a moment. He had dealt with the wildlife of the area at large for many years, and as he began to try and coax the animal to accept him and his friends he made what he felt would be the right motions and sounds.

Wild Empathy!
Hoping to adjust the Pumas attitude one step in the positive direction, like a diplomacy check.

1d20+ranger level+cha modifier.

[roll0]

Blisstake
2012-12-05, 11:16 PM
"The voices say nothing because you speak, yes? Yes, yes!" The old man twitches some more, and then pulls out a rusty dagger from a fold in his ragged clothes. "But you will help me stop the voices? You are so kind... so kind. Aren't we lucky Cat?"

Baxxie
2012-12-07, 06:57 PM
Sighing, Mallam had folded his arms before his mail armor. He had gazed right at the grizzly bearded man as he spoke: "I'm afraid there may be not a way to stop the voices within your head - at least such a power would not be in our possession, unless you mean to die." he'd tell the man.

Sorry, I couldn't get myself to post for the last few days. Either ways, time to fight for the right of my speech color.

DrK
2012-12-08, 02:31 AM
Still wary of the strang barely dressed human and the large hunting cat with a fine rug of fur Gothos watched cautiously lest the lunatic break into an attack. "Friend Caelon. Perhaps some of youe God's healing would help this srange creature?"

Drothmal
2012-12-08, 03:14 PM
Seeing the stranger retrieve a dagger, Caelon has to fight an urge to raise his shield and block any path towards his companions. With an effort of will, the holy warrior forces himself to really look at the deranged man and realizes that such a weapon is in such disrepair that it does not represent an immediate threat.

Please implores the paladin with a soothing gesture we are not your enemies. We are merely fellow travelers who only want to help.

The Councilor of Arkendale makes eye contact with the stranger as he continues

What is your name, friend? Mine is Caelon, and I am a follower of Erastil, Lord of the Hunt. I do not know how dire your situation is due to these fell voices, but I swear to you upon my honor as a paladin of the Horned-One, that I do not deceive you when I say we do not want to harm you or for you to suffer any longer.

Would you accept our assistance? I am no great healer, but what my god has bestowed upon me, I am willing to pass on to you. I do not know if it will help with the voices, but if this does not work, we can lead you to others more trained in the healing arts that may be able to do so.

His speech finished, Caelon offers an extended hand which begins to glow softly with his deity's healing powers

Would you let us help?

I know it it not kosher with the rules per se, but I am offering all of Caelon's LoH for the day (or more than one day, if Blisstake want to) on one go to help this guy's clearly addled mind. At least for long enough that we can take him back to Croixlight and have him looked at by Jhord or Niska

Blisstake
2012-12-13, 01:36 PM
"Of course I'll let you help. You are too kind!"

With no further explanation, the man drives his knife forward at Caelon, who easily deflects the strike.

No map. Just an old man and his cat. If at least two people are in melee I'll give you flanking.

Drothmal
2012-12-13, 03:14 PM
As soon as the man attacks, two feelings arise in Caelon.

The first was pity for the poor man, for his derangement seems to be well past the point of return.

The second feeling was one of steely resolution. He would not let any foes, not matter who they were, harm his precious companions.

Positioning himself as to provide as much cover for his other companions as possible, the paladin calls upon his deity to extend an aura of protection through his shield.

Unsheathing his sword, the paladin tries to knock the old man to the ground, hoping that he will be able to render him unconscious once he falls.

Actions
Swift: Activate Holy Shield (+6 shield AC to all adjacent allies)
Move: Unsheathe Weapon, use Scabbard of Vigor for +3 bonus for 3 rounds
Standard: Trip the old man (5-ft step if necessary)
[roll0] (5 BAB+3 STR+3 Magic+1Trait+3Feats-2 Shield)

Status
HP=42/42
AC= 27 (13 touch, 24 FF)
F=+11, R=+8, W=+7
Lay on Hands = 3/5

Number of AoOs/turn = 5

Blisstake
2012-12-20, 08:46 PM
The old man falls as Caelon knocks him over.

It's still your turn, guys...

Cleavon
2012-12-21, 04:55 AM
Brohn

taking his spear from his back Brohn stands near to Nelia and makes sure that the cat doesn't try anything funny. It didn't seem to like him much, so he figures he best watch out for any attack it might make.

Actions

Moving beside Nelia in such a way as to make sure the cat has to go through him to get to her. Ready and attack to strike at it if it comes for anyone within his reach.

DrK
2012-12-24, 04:08 AM
Watching the man on the groud Gothos raises his axe and brings the flat of it crashing down...

Attack for non lethal [roll0]
Damage [roll1]

Blisstake
2013-01-03, 03:46 PM
Gothos' merciful strike pacifies the aging hermit, and his puma quickly darts into the trees behind it, not eager to attack the ones who so easily incapacitated its master. He feebly groans in pain, but makes no further aggressive actions.

Cleavon
2013-01-03, 05:29 PM
Brohn

Upon hearing the great *WHAP* of Gothos axe knocking the man out of his senses Brohn let out a snort, holding back an actual laugh. It wasn't every day you saw a crazy man brained by such an impressive swing.

"Well. That certainly takes care of that. I don't envy the headache he'll have when he wakes."

DrK
2013-01-03, 05:40 PM
Gothos watches the cat slinking away with a wary eye. It had been a very big cat. Looking at the man he sighed sadly. Brother Caelon. This man us not right in the head. Can you do anything for him. Does he bear a mark or memento that could help name him?

Drothmal
2013-01-04, 04:27 PM
As soon as the old man is rendered unconscious by the oracle's ax, Caelon kneels next to the harmless foe and checks that he is still alive.

Thank you for showing restrain, my friend. says the paladin with a sigh of relief as he turns to his brother in arms. My first guess to identify him would be this strange necklace with a finger, though I do not know what it signifies. As for other clues...

Search the old man, remove any weapons that he might have hidden.

His search done, the holy warrior asks any of his companions to lend him some rope. After binding the old man so he cannot harm neither himself nor his friends, Caelon turns to the party with a request.

My friends, I believe Gothos is correct and this man has lost most of his sanity, maybe even to the looming threat Lady Tiressia has spoken about. If we could mend this man's mind, we would not only be doing the right thing but also learning more about this unseen foe.

If I could help him I would, but he is beyond my meager healing capabilities. I suggest to end our exploration endeavors early and head back to Arkendale, where Father Jod and Lady Niska might be able to see him. What say you?