PDA

View Full Version : Angband: You flame the troll. The moderator bans you. You die.

Cikomyr
2012-08-16, 12:07 PM
(just a note, I was trying to make a joke about the harsh reality of Angband's gameplay, NOT insult our all-mighty and beloved moderator community. Please do not take offense. Have pity? Just a little?)

Angband!!! Man, what a bitch game.. Yet i love it all the same. I downloaded the latest version a few days ago, and I'm throwing adventurer after adventurers at this bloody dungeon, with a corpse pile as high as Xykon.

My first adventurer turned out to be the most resilient so far, by virtue of being a Half-Troll. For anyone who don't know the game, half-troll are probably the munchkiniest race of the game; insane Str and Con bonus, health regen about four times as greater as any other race. However, you consume biomatter at much greater rate and thu needs to eat a lot more.

I played as a Paladin; since martial classes are simplier to start with and I want to get use with a spellcasting class (for my next Mage playthrough).

Oh man, did it turned out to be fun. Found the Dagger 'Narthanc' on level 3, and I plowed through levels until level 18.

With spells like "Find Stairs/Traps/Doors" and "Satisfy Hunger", I could waddle through the levels in search of the best items, never caring about food supplies. This proved to be my doom.

I had disposed of my food ration, only needed to cast a spell to replenish myself. Well, it was a worthy strategy, until I faced a horde of Confusion-spewing Worms. I fought them for about 30 turns, and then ran away as best as I could. Bloody confusion spell was cumulative, and I couldn't cast any spell during that time. After nearly 400 turns of waiting for the effect to end, I finally starved to death. I suspect my ghost will err confused through Angband for 10,000 turns... Maybe Scientology ARE right?!

my second character was a Dunedan Mage. Well, I should say, my next 20 characters were. Only one passed Level 5 (depth level), and didn't go farther than Level 12. He was fun to play tho, i had found a kickers Mage robe of permanence.

I died stupidly after being shot 3 times by a Kobold in the dark. Never noticed my life points diminishing until I was 8/67, and I didn't teleported out in time. Stupid stupid me. Mage as still fun, if you can survive the first 10 character levels. Grrrrrrr

I tried a High Elven Rogue for a time, but I was somewhat underwhelmed by the gameplay. the only cool thing about them is their special spell list ("Detect Treasure at will?!?! Sign me up!!!)

My current character is a High Elven Ranger. He's not doing half bad so far (Please, RNG, don't smite me for my arrogance!!!). No major items except an axe of Slay animal (I elected to wield a Trident +6,+8 instead). Ranger marksmanship is awesome, however!!! Can't wait to buy some Enchant Dam scrolls so I can boost my lil' crossbow baby...

And you, any stories? Questions? Ranting? It's a harsh game...

Cikomyr
2012-08-16, 11:10 PM
Oh damn it. I died on level 13, against a horde of about 70 Uruk-kai, Black Orcs, Hill Orcs, Cave Orcs.

I hate this game!!! :smallfurious:

I think I'll reroll my troll paladin....

Krazzman
2012-08-17, 04:36 AM
Oh damn it. I died on level 13, against a horde of about 70 Uruk-kai, Black Orcs, Hill Orcs, Cave Orcs.

I hate this game!!! :smallfurious:

I think I'll reroll my troll paladin....

Bwahahaha the latest version is the "3D" one right?

Cikomyr
2012-08-17, 07:22 AM
3D Angband? Sacrilege!! No, the latest version is merely 3.3.2

My Palatroll ain't doing badly... I think. I killed Farmer Maggot, who yielded a mighty magical weapon!!!

...a Longbow of Power [+13,+15]

Oh, Random Number God, I thank Thee for Thy Gift, and really find your Irony amusing and in good taste. Yielding me the single most powerful ranged weapon I've ever seen mere MINUTES after my Ranger died, truly Thy wit is stuff of legend.

I shall treasure Thy gift and use it to the best of my Lousy Palatroll Ranged Ability. And laugh at Thy joke all the way.

Wookieetank
2012-08-17, 09:16 AM
Oh, Random Number God, I thank Thee for Thy Gift, and really find your Irony amusing and in good taste. Yielding me the single most powerful ranged weapon I've ever seen mere MINUTES after my Ranger died, truly Thy wit is stuff of legend.

I shall treasure Thy gift and use it to the best of my Lousy Palatroll Ranged Ability. And laugh at Thy joke all the way.

So what are the chances of you turning this thread into an LP? I would be greatly entertained to see what you would do with it. :smallbiggrin:

Douglas
2012-08-17, 09:30 AM
I once got the Phial of Galadrial from killing Farmer Maggot. Makes me wonder how he got it.

Cikomyr
2012-08-17, 09:39 AM
So what are the chances of you turning this thread into an LP? I would be greatly entertained to see what you would do with it. :smallbiggrin:

That sure would be funny. Although I suspect my source material would become stale quickly...

Also, i guess the game would be more about my grief as a player, seeing the oft-mentioned SUDDEN DEATH.

Hmmm... This could work.. Although wondering if we should consider and tell the stories of every silly clvl1 deaths.

Lemme tell you: there is nothing worse in this game than losing an awesome character who been deeper than any other before, only to be killed by a ****ing mercenary or DOG before even leaving town!!!!

Wookieetank
2012-08-17, 10:13 AM
Hmmm... This could work.. Although wondering if we should consider and tell the stories of every silly clvl1 deaths.

Could always do something along the lines of, "Several adventurers later, something interesting happens again"

MLai
2012-08-17, 10:39 AM
Do moderators here really ban me for flaming a troll? :smalleek:

Edit: Thanks for the fun educational reminder! :smallsmile:

The Glyphstone
2012-08-17, 10:41 AM
Reading the Forum Rules: It's Fun And Educational! (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/announcement.php?f=30&a=1)

(BTW, no one can see infractions except the infractee and staff...)

Cikomyr
2012-08-17, 02:35 PM
I just spent 30 minutes writing the rules for the incoming Let's Play, but Busy Forum just erased ****ing everything.

Not in the mood to go through it again now

The Glyphstone
2012-08-17, 03:00 PM
I've just made it part of my routine to Ctrl+C (or whatever the Macquivalent is) before hitting Post Reply for anything more than a sentence or two.

Cikomyr
2012-08-17, 03:07 PM
I've just made it part of my routine to Ctrl+C (or whatever the Macquivalent is) before hitting Post Reply for anything more than a sentence or two.

Yhea, I often do it as well. I have only me to blame, although I am madni couldn't even back my browser to the text I wrote... It would just gimme "server busy".

And I wrote it all on an iPhone. Grrrr :smallfurious:

I'll retype everything tonight.

Douglas
2012-08-17, 03:21 PM
Yhea, I often do it as well. I have only me to blame, although I am madni couldn't even back my browser to the text I wrote... It would just gimme "server busy".
The next time that happens, see if you can find a menu of the last several pages you visited. I don't know what browser you're using, but Firefox brings it up if you click and hold on the back button. It might be that technically the very last page you visited was just a redirect to the busy page, and going back to that one just redirects you again. In that case, going back two pages should get you back to the post you were typing up, but you have to use the list to get there without triggering the redirect on the way.

Or it could be that your browser is being crappy and not using local cached copies for the back button, in which case you should get a better browser.

Cikomyr
2012-08-17, 03:29 PM
Or it could be that your browser is being crappy and not using local cached copies for the back button, in which case you should get a better browser.

during business hours EST, I am using almost exclusively an iPhone. So let's just say Apple doesn't allow any illusion of "free choice" in the matter of choosing my browser.

Cikomyr
2012-08-17, 07:49 PM
All right!

(Note that these rules shall be repeated in the new Let's Play thread I will create)

The Let's Play will be of sequential lives of various adventurers. I shall have a character at least reach Lvl 5 both in character level and dungeon level before making him "count", unless the tale of an especially unfortunate soul happens to be quite funny.

I shall pick up character designs based on people's suggestions. I hope to have an acceptable buffer of adventurer designs so I can roll through them. Creativity is encouraged!

I shall require that you provide 4 information when submitting an Adventurer.

1- Race
Human
Half-Elf
Elf
Hobbit
Gnome
Half-Orc
Half-Troll
Dunedan
High-Elf
Kobold

2- Class
Fighter
Mage
Priest
Rogue
Ranger
Paladin

3- Name

4- Concept explanation, small quirks/challenge you want me to respect. Just know that if I find a certain challenge to be too darn hard to respect, I might just pass over your adventurer idea, or not respect it.

Also be informed that I shall NOT reveal what are the stats or perks of each species as is. I will talk about them when they are relevant to a story, but that's about it. The point is to play a character, not a Race/Class combination.

I recommend we alternate between 3 Adventurer Ideology:

- Powerful Race/Class combination (I hope I get far with them). ex: High-Elf Mage
- Archetype characters (for better roleplaying). ex: Gimli, the Dwarven Fighter. Favors the axe, lotsa Con. Might or might not be optimized!!
- Funny combination. ex: Belkar, the Hobbit Fighter. Or Pun-pun, the Kobold Priest. (I hope to write the most humorous posts with them).

Obviously, I will try my very, very best with every one of them. Submission in this thread will be used to start the adventurer buffer in the main Let's Play thread.

Legacy characters might very well be played again, if one adventurer turned out to be especially popular. These will always be identified with numeral. Just imagine Belkar IV striking down through Angband!!

MLai
2012-08-17, 07:56 PM
This game you're describing sounds a lot like a paper RPG I made up myself as a kid to play with friends, after watching the movie Labyrinth. Basically the part where you need to constantly eat food to avoid starving to death.

My player races?
(1) A blubbery cross between a Fraggle and a Pac-man ghost. Fast but not much resilience.
(2) A cross between a hermit crab and a clam. Well-armoured and average in all other stats.
(3) A spikey scorpion whose shell looks like samurai armour. Average stats.

All my friends starved to death while playing. LOL I guess my game was too harsh. :smalltongue:

Cikomyr
2012-08-17, 08:30 PM
This game you're describing sounds a lot like a paper RPG I made up myself as a kid to play with friends, after watching the movie Labyrinth. Basically the part where you need to constantly eat food to avoid starving to death.

My player races?
(1) A blubbery cross between a Fraggle and a Pac-man ghost. Fast but not much resilience.
(2) A cross between a hermit crab and a clam. Well-armoured and average in all other stats.
(3) A spikey scorpion whose shell looks like samurai armour. Average stats.

All my friends starved to death while playing. LOL I guess my game was too harsh. :smalltongue:

If you like harsh, I do suggest you pick it up. There are graphic tiles if you don't like ACSII graphics :smallbiggrin:

http://rephial.org/

Cikomyr
2012-08-17, 08:33 PM
Oh man. I just escaped the deadliest ambush ever. I went down a flight of stairs, only to land in the middle of 12 Kobold shamans, 40 small kobol and a Unique Kobold Lord.

I tried fighting them.. I could have won, in theory, if they didn't confused me every turn. and completely sourrounded me. I barely managed to escape back up the stairs with my tail between my legs... :smallbiggrin:

nooblade
2012-08-17, 09:02 PM
I used to play this a bunch; it was my first ASCII graphics game and my first roguelike. Then I tried ADoM for quite some time (1 win, yay!), and Incursion: Halls of the Goblin King (maybe 3 wins?), some others... Tales of Maj'Eyal isn't lasting as long as I had figured it would. At the moment though I'm playing DoomRL and having a blast still but probably ADoM was my favorite (and most masochistic).

Submitting an adventurer:

1-Elf
2-Ranger
3-Woody
4-I suggest the time-honored "shoot and scoot". Rangers are quite good with bows, at least if it's the same game I played. Buy a ton of phase door scrolls sometime and preferably bind them to a macro for quick use. Whenever anything gets to melee range, pop a phase door and continue shooting (assuming you've arrived in a safe spot).

The friend who introduced me to this game advocated "diving". That is, you don't actually care about your character's life until you find an interesting item or some stat gain potions by haphazardly going deep into the dungeon. But I guess I won't suggest that tactic yet.

Also I remember the priest's Orb of Draining being quite good but I suppose that's not worthy of a whole tactic and it might not still be in. I had a mighty bit of fun with dwarven priests.

One more tip: potions are your friend. I think cure critical wounds helps with confusion but I'm not sure.

Cikomyr
2012-08-17, 11:05 PM
One more tip: potions are your friend. I think cure critical wounds helps with confusion but I'm not sure.

You just saved my life. I got ambushed by 2 Umber Hulks and 20 trolls. The Hulks kept confusing me at every attack, so I just gobbled CCW after the other, until they missed an attack.

Drinking a potion of speed helped though. But you still saved my life.

Am on a level with 3 unique monsters!! that's gonna be hard :smallamused: